• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
NOTE: This chapter is sort of gruesome, and it even made me a bit uncomfortable writing it, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. Just a heads up

Melanie’s private shuttle descended rapidly onto the planet of Barnardia. Barnardia, unlike most recently colonized worlds, was quite old, being one of the oldest planets colonized by humankind. As a result, it had developed a unique culture, dialect, and even a sort of human type due to the slightly lower gravity on the planet. The planet had buildings that were nearly one hundred years old at this point. In many ways, the planet was independent of the Empire, yet solidly in it at the same time.

As the ship descended onto the planet’s capital, the older architecture was in view. Unlike most of the time, there were no massive crowds or a rally to land at. This mission was built on quite a short notice, so it was a miracle that the landing site had even been secured in the first place. Clones were stationed on various towers, and a small crowd of loyal supporters were at the site, having found out Melanie’s visit.

The ship landed onto a secure landing pad, and a ramp opened, allowing the entourage to disembark. On the landing pad were the governor of Barnardia, and Case Bernard himself. Case, despite the trouble that he was in, looked quite at ease, and was almost smug to boot. Marike was standing right next to Zoe, ensuring that she was as comfortable as Marike could make her. John was in the back of the ship making sure that everything was in order.

As Marike surveyed the distance, she received a notification on her watch. Stay away from John, it said ominously. It was from Case.

“Greetings governor,” Melanie said as she stepped off the ramp and shook his hand. “I apologize for the short notice. I wasn’t expecting to leave Earth today.”

“It’s all forgiven, Protector,” he replied, giving a slight bow to the Protector. “I was just as shocked to hear of the atrocity committed to your clone. We will find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. The thought of these sick and twisted demons being on my planet sickens me.”

“I agree Governor,” Melanie nodded before turning to Case. “Case, I want answers. Where are these people?!”

“I am doing the best that I can mother,” Case said, not really looking at her. He almost looked like he was looking for something, or someone.

“Son, look at me when you talk,” Melanie hissed. “I raised you better than that.”

“Sorry mom,” Case answered, still seemingly not present in the moment. “I’ve been planning many things.”

“I understand Case, but Zoe Ghille was raped by two of your top executives, and I know that they are on the planet. I want answers! Where are they?!”

“I told you already, I am doing my best,” Case countered, raising his hands in frustration. “I am doing my best!”

At that moment, Johnathan Fredricks disembarked from the shuttle and walked next to Melanie. He towered over both Melanie and Case, looming almost comically tall in comparison. Instead of tensing up like usual, Case stared at Marike briefly before looking intently at John. Melanie noticed this.

“Case, what are you looking at? Is something wrong?”

“Nope,” Case smiled. “I haven’t seen my brother-in-law in a few days.”

As John stood next to Melanie, a loud bang rippled from a tower next to the landing site. John reacted incredibly quickly and pushed Melanie out of the way, but he was not fast enough. Melanie gasped in pain as she crumped to the floor, having been shot in the stomach by a fast moving laser shot.

“WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!” John yelled. “Protect the Protector!!”

Melanie’s personal legion immediately closed ranks to protect the valuable members on the landing pad. More shots rang out frantically, dropping a clone or two, but Melanie’s personal legion basically dragged her onto the ship. Case’s smile turned into a horrific frown as he was dragged onto the ship along with the rest of Melanie’s cabinet and family.

“There!” Marike yelled as she scanned the scene. Using her powers, she flew into the air and towards the shooter. John followed closely behind her using a small jetpack that was imbedded into his armor. The shooter tried to hit the two, but they effortlessly dodged every shot that he made. Within moments, Marike slammed into the shooter, knocking him onto the floor. To her surprise, he was covered in clone armor.

“What the fuck?!” John screamed as he landed on the top of tower. Using his hands, he pinned the shooter down and ripped his helmet off, revealing a human male. John was so angry that he did not even bother to stop himself from killing the assailant. Using his thumbs, he gouged the man’s eyes out before easily smashing his skull in, causing his brains to explode all over the floor.

“John!” Marike shrieked. “We could have questioned him!!”

“I don’t care!!” John snarled. “Fuck!!!”
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Will she be alright?” Amalia asked the doctor. They had been flown back to earth in order for Melanie to receive surgery at the Royal Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Through the window, John, Marike, and Amalia saw a team of the best doctors in the entire galaxy hard at work on Melanie. This was her second hour of surgery, and it was clear that things were serious.

“We are doing all that we can,” the doctor replied in a thick frontier accent. “She took a laser shot right to the gut. We are doing our best.”

“Will she be ok?” Amalia asked again, tears beginning to fill her eyes.

“We are doing our best Mrs. Fredricks.” The doctor replied once again. Upon hearing this, Amalia burst openly into tears and walked out of the room.

John walked over to the window and began to grip a metal railing so hard that his hands went completely white. His gripped the metal railing so hard that he actually began to bend it. John ripped the railing off from the wall and tossed it across the room. John then walked over to the wooden chair, picked it up aggressively, and smashed it against the window, breaking the chair into many small wooden pieces.

“John, she will be alright,” Marike pleaded frantically.

John did not utter a word. He turned to Marike, looking like he was ready to kill her. The look that he gave her sent chills down her spine: it was a look of pure hatred and malice. Marike excused herself and quickly jogged out of the room.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marike left the hospital to get some fresh air and just process the events of the last day. She began to walk mindlessly around the city, and finally found a bench with a faded greatest city in America slogan plastered onto it. Her mind drifted randomly, with thoughts of Zoe, to how Case flirted with her, and so on. These last few weeks had been jammed with so much crap that she didn’t even know how to handle it. She groaned audibly and slammed her fist onto the bench in frustration.

She was distracted, and was not paying attention to what was going on around her. As she continued to ponder her situation, she felt something sharp jab her leg. She turned, and saw a small child running around the corner. She tried to follow, but she was frozen in place and paralyzed. The last thing she remembered before losing consciousness was a group of clone soldiers in all red grabbing her.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marike slowly opened her eyes and saw nothing but blackness: something was suffocating her. She began to thrash wildly but she could not move. She felt a hand firmly grab her head and rip a bag off of it. She gasped with relief as she was finally able to take a deep mouthful of fresh air. AS she regained her composure, she realized that she was tied up in a wooden chair, with each of her individual fingers firmly tied to the chair. The room was completely bare, with the walls and roof made of concrete, and it smelled terrible, but Marike could not put a name to the smell. At the end of the room, a massive figure was ominously sorting something. Sparks were emanating from whatever he was sorting.

“You know Marike,” the figure began, his voice deep and ominous. “I have been waiting for quite a while to be able to do this. My heart is shaking with anticipation,” he said, turning around. It was none other than Johnathan Fredricks himself.

“John?!” Marike asked loudly, struggling against her restraints. “What the fuck is going on?!”

“Look next to you.”

Marike turned her head and gasped in pure disgust. Two corpses were strapped to chairs, and it was truly a gruesome sight. Both men had their eyes gouged out, their bowels torn open, and all of their limbs severed several times over. One of them had their gentilia stuffed into their mouth in a gruesome display of cruelty. They had clearly been tortured in the most painful ways imaginable. Blood covered every inch of the floor next to them.

“Who are they?!” Marike gasped, struggling not to vomit.

“Those are the people who attacked Zoe,” John replied calmly, examining his work. “You know Marike,” John started, staring at her, “pain is the most…effective way of getting people to talk. These two certainly tried to resist, but once limbs began to be cut off…they sang like canaries. I know a lot more than I did earlier today, and I think that you know more.”

“Let me go!!” Marike protested, struggling to free herself.

“I cannot do that,” John replied, walking over to Marike and leaning inches from her face. “I hate everything about you,” he began in a deep and breathy tone. “I hate your eyes, I hate your nose, I hate your cheeks, and I especially hate how much your lips move when you talk. Everything about you aggravates me to no end. I’m tired of it all.”

“What is this about?” Marike replied, her heart beating rapidly.

“I have served the Protector for most of my life,” John answered, gently stroking Marike’s face. “I have protected her from enemies domestic and foreign. Together, we conquered a galaxy, and yet for some reason, she refuses to destroy the one enemy that is the biggest threat to her life. You. I will finally do what she will not.”

“You can’t touch me John,” Marike responded, realizing the gravity of the situation that she was in. “Melanie put me on her cabinet.”

John merely grinned. “She is incapacitated for the time being, which makes me the acting Protector. I can do whatever I want.”

“What do you want from me?” Marike asked, frantically struggling against her restraints. She tried to use her psionic powers, but all of her limbs were firmly locked into place.

“I want to know why you arranged for the Protector to be shot. Then, I will kill you and the rest of your demonic kind. Please make this easy for me, and I will ensure that you and your ilk die quickly.”

“Demonic kind?”

“Your people are a danger to the universe,” John retorted. “Your people are not meant to exist, and you will be our downfall. I feel it in my bones. I will not let you enslave all of mankind!”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Marike

“I know what you and the Protector have been talking about…a new race of man,” John started. “I will not let man become an underclass to demonic forces. I will smoke all of you out with my armies. We are playing with forces that we have no understanding of. Now tell me why you tried to kill the Protector back on Barnardia.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about.”

John calmly walked over to a work cabinet full of instruments and pulled Marike’s tablet from it. “Here is a message from one strange weirdo, saying, ‘Stay away from John,’” John read, emphasizing ‘strange weirdo.’ “I know you did it. Just confess and I will kill you painlessly.”

“I had nothing to do with it,” Marike replied frantically. “I swear.”

“Fine,” John huffed, walking over to the work cabinet and pulling out a knife. He hurried over to Marike and grabbed her bottom lip and stretched it out, gently placing the knife on it. “I will use this to cut this infernal lip off, but that will come later. I have a lot of cavass to work with. I will give you one more chance Marike,” he said, letting go of her lip. “Don’t waste it.”

“I don’t know John, what more do you want me to say?!”

John sighed and gave a brief nod. Two clones behind Marike blindfolded her and placed a gag on her mouth. Before she could react, she felt a sharp and violent pain from her right hand. She tried to scream, but the gag prevented her. The clones released the blindfold, and to her horror, she saw that her right index finger had been cut off. She thrashed violently against her seat but to no avail.

“Now do you want to talk?” John said calmly and without emotion in his voice.

“Fuck you!!” Marike snarled in pain.

John shook his hand and nodded once again. The clones blindfolded her once again. John cut her right pinky off, this time taking his time in doing so only increasing the pain that Marike felt. The guards removed the gag and blindfold, but Marike was still defiant.

“Marike!” John yelled exasperatedly. “What more do you want me to do? At least tell me who this strange weirdo is!”

“GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!” Marike screamed at the top of lungs.

John sighed once again, but he did not nod this time. He pointed at her hand with his right finger, and began to move point at other limbs of hers in a rhythmic fashion. “Eenmie meenie mino mo…catch the tiger by the toe, if it hollers let it goo…eenie meenie mino…MO!”

The guards didn’t even bother to blindfold or gag her. Without warning, John, using his laser sword instead of the knife he had been using, quickly sliced her left hand off right above the wrist. As she hollered in pain and desperation, he tossed it away, letting it thud against the concrete wall. Before she could react or comprehend the pain, John swiftly slashed her leg thigh, taking a small chunk of it off but not severing it entirely. Marike howled in pain.

“You are going to be a fucking centipede by the time I’m finished with you!” John huffed. “You won’t have any limbs to speak of! Is this what you want?!”

“Go to hell!!” She screamed

“Your choice,” John sighed. He walked over to her and placed his knife onto Marike’s nose. Marike began to panic, but he began to slowly cut away at the cartilage. Marike tried to endure, but it became more than she could bear.

“Case…” she whispered, the pain becoming too much. “CASE!!!”

John stopped cutting, barely making a small dent into her nose. “Say that again.”

“Case is the guy who sent me the text!!” She yelled, tears streaming down her face.

“Case?!” John yelled, pressing the knife onto her nose once again. “You expect me to believe that Case Bernard, Melanie’s son, tried to have his own mother killed?! How dumb do you think I am?!”

“Ask him yourself!!” Marike screamed, totally broken and weeping profusely.

“Maybe I…what is that?” John asked, sensing something dripping onto his boot. Marike was so broken, afraid, and destroyed that she had lost control of her bladder and was urinating all over her dress. “My goodness, are you pissing yourself?!” John retorted in disgust. “On my fucking floor?! My goodness, I’ll have to get all of this replaced!!”

“Please…” Marike yelped, tears streaming all down her face and onto her broken body. She was humiliated, broken, and dejected.

“I swear to God Himself, if you are falsely accusing Case, I will fucking end you in the most painful way I can imagine,” John hissed, wagging his finger right in Marike’s face. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a phone. “Yes. Bring me Case Bernard at once. Yes, Case…yes, I mean Case, Melanie’s son,” he said calmly into his phone. “I need him at my location. Thank you.”

Marike sat there, completely paralyzed with fear, sitting in a puddle of her own urine. John took the time to arrange more torture instruments on the tool cabinet. Less than five minutes later, Marike heard the sounds of yelling and struggling down the hall. Four clone soldiers entered the room, forcefully dragging Case into the room.

“John…I demand an explanation!” Case yelled, struggling with all of his might as the clones dragged him into the torture room. “What is…OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!” Case yelled upon noticing Marike’s broken and tattered frame. He began to scream incoherently and attempted to make a run at John, but the clone soldiers easily overpowered him and forced him into a wooden chair next to Marike. They quickly tied him up.

“Greetings brother,” John snarled.

“WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!?!?!?” Case screamed.

“Marike here confessed that you tried to kill Melanie Bernard. Is this true?”

“What did you do to her?!” He screamed incoherently.

“Answer the question,” John snapped impatiently.

“Why would I kill my own mother?”

“Alright then,” John replied quickly. He walked over to the tool cabinet and pulled out a giant drill that was already covered in blood and guts. He turned it on and began to walk ominously towards Marike, ready to do some incredibly painful damage to her. Marike whimpered in fear and tried to squirm away, but it was no use.

“Wait…WAIT!!!” Case yelled. “WAIT!!!”

“What is it Case?!” John screamed angrily.

“I didn’t try to kill Melanie…I meant to kill you!!”

John did not appear to comprehend the statement at first. He shut the drill off and slowly walked towards the tool cabinet and placed it gently onto it. He stood there for a minute, processing what he had been told, before turning around and staring at Case.

“What did you say?”

“I meant to kill you John,” Case pleaded. “Marike had nothing to do with this. I wanted to keep her away from you so that she would not get shot.”

“Why?!” John asked, still unable to believe what he had been told.

“Marike…she is the future of the human race John,” Case smirked. “She and the Psionic kind are the future. The age of the psionic is upon us, and nothing you can do will stop her. I’m was merely trying to eliminate a threat to her life, that is all. You have gone insane, and you need to be put down like a rabid dog.”

“The future?!” John laughed. “The future?! Look at her!” John hissed angrily, pointing at her. “The future is sitting in a puddle of urine with several of her limbs chopped off, unable to do anything about it. She’s a pathetic piece of shit who tried to murder my friend and mentor! Are in love with her or something?!”

“I am,” Case exclaimed defiantly.

“Well then, Case,” John hissed, grabbing Case’s cheeks tightly pressing them inward. “Let me tell you something. When the Protector eventually dies, which she will, Marike will not be in charge. I will. When I become Protector, she will be long dead, then I will kill you if you dare to stand in my way for any reason. She will die here, forgotten, burned, and covered in her own piss, and you will too be afraid to even speak about it. I won’t kill you now because I respect your mother more than anyone else in the galaxy, and she cannot lose another child, but don’t you dare try to fuck with me, because I will sure as hell fuck you up. Do you understand me?!”

“Point understood,” Case answered.

“Good,” John answered, walking back to the table to pick up his drill. Before he could arrive, Sandra ran down the hall and into the room, giving John a brief salute.

“Acting Protector Fredricks, Protector Bernard has regained consciousness. She will be alright and will heal over the next few days. The doctors have saved her.”

John smiled with relief. “Good. Tell the Protector that I will be up there momentarily. I have some business I need to finish.”

“Yes Chief of Staff,” Sandra nodded, noting the change in title that Melanie’s healing had just conferred.

“Good…good,” John smiled, trailing off as he said the word the second time. “Case, I am happy to announce that these two men were guilty of a coup attempt, and the conspiracy ended with them. Isn’t these news great?”

“Are you fucking insane?” Case screamed. “You mutilate Marike like that and expect this to just…blow away?”

“If you tell Melanie that you tried to have me killed…well…that will not go very well, I don’t think.”

Case pondered this, and sighed in resignation. “And if Melanie finds out that you mutilated her star…”

“Mutually assured opposition research,” John said a matter-of-factly. “Just remember, that I am Melanie’s heir, and nothing you say or do will ever change that. Marike will not come within an inch of that throne.”

“We will see about that,” Case countered.

“We will…guards, let Case go,” John nodded. One of his clones untied him, and escorted him out. John turned too the other clone and walked towards Marike. “Guard, bring her to the hospital and tell them to reattach everything that I cut off. Be sure to give her a thorough bath, because she had quite the accident.”

Marike passed out as the guard began to untie her.

Brutal

“So what are you proposing, exactly?” Oswald Mosely inquired, furrowing his brow and scratching his chin. “This sounds…quite unusual.

“It’s not Mosely,” O’Brien grinned with excitement. “This is the future of mankind…the future of language, and the future of everything. “With this system truly in place, then our reign will continue unabated for a thousand years. We will be considered visionaries, artists, and geniuses. The ruling party of the future will forever remember what we did here, in this room, today.”

“Go on,” Oswald said, nodding his head and pointing at O’Brien with his hand.

“I call it, NewSpeak,” O’Brien began, reaching to the projector and changing the plastic sheet that was projected onto the screen. “A project that will entirely change how people communicate and function. This will truly end the possibility of resistance because people will lack the ability to even express resistance.”

“How would this work?” Rutherford piped up.

“Simple. We remove words and combine other ones. The only ideas that be effectively communicated are those that we want to be. This will make us safer as a result.”

“How so?” Rutherford inquired. He appeared to be at odds with the idea in general.

“People think in the language that they speak, and words can change cultures,” O’Brien explained. “If we remove words about resistance and anything contrary to the party, then we will be able to control even the thoughts that people think and embrace. Resistance becomes impossible as such an idea cannot even exist without a word to express it as.”

“I like it!” Oswald exclaimed, clapping his hands once to punctuate his point. “I want it implemented at once!”

“It can’t be done all at once Oswald,” O’Brien laughed. “This will be a multi-generational process that will likely outlive all of us. I think that by…say…around 2050 or so, enough generations will have passed. I intend for all conversations amongst the outer-party to be done entirely in this language. The inner party, of course, will need complex language and thus, will continue to learn our standard English.”

“Assemble a team of your choosing and begin formulating this language at once,” Oswald commanded. O’Brien nodded, sitting back in his seat.

“Are you sure that this is a good idea?” Rutherford asked somewhat defensively. “I’m not sure that this is a valuable use of our time or resources.”

“Explain yourself,” Oswald replied, turning his chair towards Rutherford. “The idea seems quite foolproof to me.”

“For one, this will be a long term and expensive project. Secondly, do you think that parents are going to be to teach their children this new language without using the old language on them? This idea will fall apart quite easily in execution. I just don’t see this working, and we will waste decades trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.”

O’Brien stood back up and walked to the center of the room. “This will also be combined with the new education system. In a few generations, we will have children with no memory of life before the revolution. The bombs gave us the ability to rebuild society the way that we want to. Time will give us the ability to make people with no past, and with no past, their can be no future. This new language will be taught and mandated in schools. Parents will not be involved.”

“You want to remove the family?” Rutherford asked, somewhat aghast.

“The family is an antiquated model, Rutherford,” O’Brien snarled. “Families breed individuality. Individuality breeds freedom. Freedom breeds revolt. Revolt breeds death. We cannot have this. Children do not belong to families, they belong to the state. We are the people of the Union, and we all have the task of raising everyone up. We are one big giant family, and it’s time we act like it if we want to continue to survive.”

“He’s right Rutherford,” Oswald piped up. “The only way to ensure the survival of our state is to ensure that the entire population of the island is behind us. This is the way forward. Do what you need to do O’Brien.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

O’Brien stepped out of his car, his servants opening the door and closing it as he walked out of it. He turned his head up towards the sky, marveling the massive pyramid that had been built to house the Ministry of Truth. It rose high into the sky, and was the tallest structure in the city. Other pyramids were also being built, their scaffolding also rising high into the London skyline. Etched into the sides of the pyramid were the slogans of the Party.

His servants walked in front of O’Brien, opening the doors that led into the pyramid. Like most new construction in the Union the building was incredibly bare, utilitarian, and sparse. Everything was made of concrete, and there was no color in anything, aside from the ubiquitous posters that had been plastered all over the walls of the structure, each one proudly displaying the face of Big Brother, extolling the virtues of hard work.

“To my office,” O’Brien commanded. The servants nodded and led him through the halls. Everywhere around him, outer-party citizens were buzzing around, each one going about their day and doing their jobs, all in their blue jumpsuits. They all appeared ragged and worn, all clearly being affected by hunger and lack of excess. O’Brien did not pay them attention. He walked into an elevator and went to the 50th floor, which is where his office was.

He exited the elevator. In front of him was a massive cubicle farm, with workers hard at work erasing the past. O’Brien had to make a stop. He made some turns and found himself where he needed to be.

“Hello Winston,” O’Brien began. Winston was engrossed in his work, but hearing O’Brien speak burst his bubble. He turned his chair and faced his boss.

“Greetings boss,” Winston answered. Despite being in his mid-twenties or so, Winston looked like he was pushing forty. Hs hair was ragged and patchy, his legs scarred, and his frame thin and frail, likely from a decade of malnourishment and hunger. The only part of his body that appeared at least a little bit alive were his eyes, which still flickered around vibrantly. “Is there something that you need?”

“Why yes I do Winston,” O’Brien nodded. “I normally have my confidants order people around, but this is important enough that I need to tell you directly. I need you to change some documentation for me.”

“On what topic?”

“Rutherford. Go back and remove his contributions to the first Revolution of the 1920s. The Party had determined that his loyalty is…suspect.”

“It will be done O’Brien.”

I am with Rutherford on this one.

Besides, "people" are incredibly adept at twisting official languages and phrases around to convey something quite different.

Sorry all! I'm busy with work, and Imperator Rome has been taking up my time:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Winston walked quickly down the ruined and shanty streets of Airstrip One, poverty laid bare all around him. Most buildings had not even been cleared since the bombs fell over a decade ago, but people somehow lived in the ruins, all starving and desperate for daily essentials. Clearing the rubble would certainly create jobs, but in a society where fixing a broken pipe had to go through layers of committees, all of which took up to several years in total just to send a repairman, Winston did not hold his breath that anything would get done. The government was too busy building the massive pyramids to really care.

He continued walking, but a beggar caught his eye. She was old, perhaps in her seventies, and was dressed in tattered rags. She had a tin can, shaking it with the meager amount of coins that were clattering about inside. Winston was desperately poor and did not have much, but he reached into his pocket and placed a few coins into her can.

“Here, you need it more than I do,” he said as he placed the coins.

“Thank ye kind sir,” she smiled. “There aren’t many people like ya nowadays.”

“I do my best,” Winston replied breathlessly before walking away. He was tired, work was done for the day, and he just wanted to rest in his flat.

As he walked down several wide yet ruined boulevards, he noticed a group of three men sitting down at a café. He stopped and stared, quickly recognizing who they were. He saw Anderson, Jones, and Rutherford, all leaders of the revolution, just sitting there, in the open. All three men looked in absolutely terrible shape, with bruises and wounds all over their body. Rutherford in particular looked terrible, with a broken nose, and both eyes black from obvious trauma. These had to be punishments from their recent confession that they had all collaborated with the enemy, Eurasia, giving them landing coordinates, among other terrible crimes. They confessed to sabotaging the government, plotting against Big Brother for years, and even pled to killing hundreds of thousands of Oceanian soldiers. Rutherford, in addition to all the above crimes, confessed to aiding the traitorous Emmanuel Goldstein in trying to overthrow the government led by Big Brother. All in all, all three clearly had been tortured in brutal ways. They three just sat there, but as Winston stared more deeply, he saw that Rutherford’s eyes were full of tears and regret.

Winston wanted to walk forward and talk with the man who had drawn all of those cartoons so many years ago, but he knew that if he even attempted to get close, he would be arrested late at night and probably killed. The three were traitors, and had to be ostracized. Nobody else at the café was even sitting close to them, and the cafe was filled to the brim with inner party politicians and generals all enjoying the brisk summer day.

Winston decided to leave before anyone thought that he was acting suspiciously. As he turned his head, he saw that Rutherford began motioning at him to walk towards him. Winston’s heart pounded and his mind began to race, but such an act would surely result in his arrest. He sped up his pace and began to walk away from the café, eagerly wishing to get out of the situation. As he walked down the road, curiosity compelled him to turn his head around to get one last look brief look at the man. Rutherford was staring at him and mouthing something dramatically. Winston could not really clearly make out what he was trying to convey, but it was a short word. Perhaps Eric or something.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was a cool summer night, and the trees of the forest swayed peacefully in the late summer breeze coming off of the ocean. The sounds and smells of the crashing ocean filled the air, and seagulls sang loudly in the air as the flew to and fro. In front of him, endless rolling hills and mountains filled the horizon. It would be a peaceful and idyllic night if there wasn’t work that needed to be done.

Eric took a deep breath and savored the peace of the moment, but he was not at rest. He knew that he was being hunted, and that an assassin or soldier could be anywhere at any possible time, ready to end him. He needed to hurry. Sighing, Eric continued to race through the forest, constantly looking over his shoulder. His heart jumped at every shadow and moving squirrel. It was getting late, and he was going to need some form of safe shelter.

As he jogged through the woods, he saw a ruined bunker seemingly placed at random in the middle of the forest. He rushed to it, pulling out a pistol as he reached it. Taking a deep breath, he turned a corner and entered the ruined shell. The roof was caved in, and many of the walls were full of holes; the bunker had clearly seen better days. He resigned himself to a night in the ruined building, but as he dropped his backpack onto the ground, he noticed that the dropping backpack made a hollow sort of sound as it hit the ground. He overturned a pile of ruined papers and realized that there was a hidden door on the ground. He pulled one of the two hatches open, the dust of decades of neglect rising into the air.

The door revealed a dark hole. Eric ran to his bag and pulled out a flashlight. Turning it on, he carefully climbed down the ladder. The bunker was massive, with a seemingly endless amount of rooms. While he did not want to explore just yet, this would be the perfect place for his nascent brotherhood to be based out of.

Just a small update: I am having serious trouble with inspiration for the Oswald Mosley storyline. I apologize if that is what people want, but I am finding the Marike/Melanie story to flow so much better when I write. I'm going to try and merge them as quickly as I can.

That being said, I have another story that I am pumped to start that is completely unrelated to this series, and once I finish this I will put Melanie to rest. The new story will definitely push the boundaries of what is acceptable on this forum in terms of topic (it doesn't really fit into any Paradox game), but I will make it work :D

Marike slowly opened her eyes, and quickly realized that she was not where she thought that she was. The last thing she recalled was sitting in absolute agony, being dismembered by her worst enemy. Now as she opened her eyes, she discovered that she was once again in a hospital room. She tried moving the limbs that John had chopped off, and found to her delight that she could. The doctors had reattached them quite skillfully and without as much as leaving a scar. She reached for her nose, and the doctors had even filled in the small part that John had started to cut.

She quickly leaned her back off of the pillow, but a hand gently touched her chest and gently nudged it down. “Easy there Marike, you had a pretty rough surgery.”

“Case?” Marike asked, quickly shifting her head to her right and seeing that he was sitting eagerly on a stool next to her.

“It’s me Marike,” Case smiled. “I’m glad to see that you are alright.”

She was having none of it. She quickly raised her hand and manipulated the space around him, dragging his neck directly into her palm with her powers. He seemed surprised by this and made no effort to resist.

“What the fuck was that shit back there?!” Marike grunted. “Ordering a fucking hit on John?! Are you fucking insane? You could have gotten me fucking killed! Did you see what he did to me?! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!?!” Marike tightened her grip on his neck.

“I did…” He managed to squeeze out of his choked vocal chords. “Let…me…explain!”

She did not want to let go. She wanted to choke every last bit of life out of Case for putting her in that situation of pain and utter humiliation, but she saw the desperation in his eyes, a look of regret and fear, mixed with a sense of determination. She fought her instincts, and let go of his neck. Case collapsed onto her hospital bed, frantically gasping for any amount of air to enter his tortured lungs.

“You better have a god damn good explanation or I will choke the living shit out of you!” Marike exclaimed, staring right into his eyes with the fury of a thousand angry men.

“I…” he gasped, finally filling his body with fresh air. “I needed…to clear your path to the throne.”

“I don’t want the throne Case!” Marike pleaded. “The whole fucking concept of one person ruling an entire galaxy is fucking absurd! Have you seen what your mother has done to everyone?! People are dying for no fucking reason and nobody can challenge her!”

“That is exactly why you need to take over, Marike,” Case replied, frantically trying to convince her of his plans.

“Well then Case,” Marike huffed, forcefully shoving the blankets off of her. “How do you explain me being Protector somehow fixing everything?!”

“Look at yourself!” Case implored. “You are the most powerful…human…ever to exist. You can choke people out halfway across the galaxy without a second thought. With you in control, you will not need clones…or armies…or tyranny. We can rule…”

“We?”

Case paused for a second, apparently regretting his choice of verbiage on the topic. “You need to play the game Marike! If you want to live you need to play!”

“The game?!” Marike asked loudly, confused as to what he meant.

“You are incredibly vulnerable Marike,” Case explained frantically. “You are a single woman with no real allies…”

“I’m not going to marry you Case,” Marike scoffed. “You are married for fucks sake! Yes, your wife is a prude, but you have children! Imagine if your mom catches us fucking in your bed. I’ll be dead in a second.”

“You can marry my son Samuel. He is twenty-one. I was going to marry him off to some celebrity that he likes, but…well…you would be more of a catch.”

“Why would I marry your son?!”

Case stared at Marike with a tender love. “You would be a Bernard. Nobody would ever touch a Bernard.”

“Not by blood…”

“John isn’t a Bernard, and certainly not by blood, but just being married to her daughter is enough.”

“Did you see that John did to me?!”

“He wouldn’t be able to touch you anymore if you had the Bernard name next to you. I really don’t care what you do to my son. Just have a child or two, and you will be golden.”

“I just don’t get it, Case,” Marike began, apparently ignoring what Case had just told her. “Why didn’t he just kill me back there? He tried to kill before, and he had me right in the palms of his hands? None of this bullshit, from Melanie liking me to John not killing me makes any sense…and now this conspiracy of yours on top of this.”

“I don’t understand any of it either,” Case nodded his head. “John has been acting very…strange.”

“Is…” Marike stuttered, remembering Zoe. “Is Zoe ok?”

“She’s right next door.”

“Your people attacked her,” Marike stated, frowning, before making a realization that made her incredibly upset. “Was raping her part of your insane plan?!”

“No!” Case begged, sliding his chair back to avoid Marike’s rage. “The plan was simply to scare Zoe a little bit so that we could drag John away from the palace and whack him on Barnardia. I had no intention of actually hurting the wretch! And heaven knows I had no plans on actually killing my own fucking mom! None of this went according to my plans!”

“Maybe you should stop planning then you fucking moron!” Marike screamed, getting out of the hospital bed and toward the door.

“Where are you going?!” Case asked, realizing that he had lost control of the situation.

“I’m going to see Zoe!”

“What about my son?”

“Fuck off!” Marike yelled, opening the door to her small room and slamming it shut. She quickly walked to the room next door and carefully opened the door. Zoe was laying on the bed, her head turned towards a screen on a wall next to her: a children’s show was on. Zoe was laughing and watching the show with absolute joy and innocent glee. Next to her was a stuffed and colorful toy caterpillar. Her body, however, was covered in bruises and marks. Marike shuddered thinking about what those men did to her in that alley.

“Miss Van Zyl!” Zoe yelped with happiness as she realized that Marike had entered the room. “I would hug you but the doctors told me to stay in bed.”

“Are you feeling alright?” Marike asked tenderly, walking next to her and sitting in a stool next to the bed.

“To be honest Miss…”

“You can call me Marike, Zoe,” Marike interrupted, smiling.

“To be honest Mi…Marike,” Zoe repeated, catching herself. “I do not feel very good. My body hurts. I want it to stop.”

“The doctors here will make you feel so much better,” Marike said, grabbing the caterpillar and placing it on Zoe’s lap. “You will be as good as new.”

“What are you doing in the hospital?” Zoe asked, seeing that Marike was in the same clothing that she was dressed in.

Marike paused, but decided not to reveal what had happened. “Your attackers attacked me as we tried to stop them. They nicked me real good.”

“Marike…what is rape?” Zoe asked, frowning a bit. “The doctors said that is what happened to me, but I don’t know what that is.”

“Rape is…” Marike stumbled, trying to find the words to explain it. “Is when bad men hurt innocent women like yourself. It’s a terrible thing, and something that good people like us punish.”

“They stopped me as I was walking to work, and they dragged me into an all…”

“Let’s not dwell on what happened,” Marike grinned, playing with Zoe’s hair. “We found the attackers, and they were dealt with. John made sure of that.”

“John found them!?” Zoe smiled with joy. “John is such a great man! He always protects us and makes sure that we are safe!”

“He sure does,” Marike said sarcastically. “I’m just glad that you are safe.”

“I heard that Protector Bernard is in the hospital as well…what happened?”

“Bad people tried to hurt her,” Marike explained.

“How could anyone want to hurt the Protector?” Zoe asked in confusion, unable, due to her conditioning, to even fathom the idea that someone would oppose Melanie. “She is a kind person who only wants the best for everyone!”

“Some people don’t see her the way that we do,” Marike replied. “No need to dwell on these thoughts. What is the name of your caterpillar?”

“I named him Mr. Snuggles,” Zoe giggled.

“Well,” Marike smiled, “I order Mr. Snuggles to keep you safe! If you need anything, give me a call, you have my number.”

“Thanks for coming Marike,” Zoe said, looking at Marike with a look of pure love. “Sandra visited me earlier, but she isn’t as nice as you are.”

“I try my best,” Marike laughed. “Take care now.”

As Marike opened and closed the door, she saw that Case was standing right outside of the room. Marike sighed, not wanting to deal with this.

“This is important, Marike,” Case implored. “I’m trying to keep you safe.”

“I can handle this on my own!” Marike countered. “All you do is cause problems, like getting me fucking tortured in a dungeon! I fucking pissed all over myself for fucks sake!”

“Apparently you can’t handle it all,” Case interjected.

“None of this would have happened if you didn’t do anything!” Marike said angrily, her hands shaking with annoyance and frustration. “Just leave me alone!” She huffed, turning around and beginning to walk towards the exit of the hospital.

“I want what is best for you Marike! I love you!”

“You want what is best for me?” Marike stopped in her tracks and turned around. “Just stay away from me! That will keep everyone that I like, and even keep myself much safer than anything that you could do!”

“Just meet my son for goodness sake! I did this all for you!”

“And it backfired! Badly!”

“I’m aware of that! I really am!” Case Bernard begged with every ouch of emotion. “Just promise me that you will think about it!”

“Fine!” Marike snapped, walking down the hall and towards the exit. Case was madly in love with her, and now it was starting to cause problems. Her plan though, to marry her to his son, did make a ton of sense, and having the Bernard name had numerous perks. Case, however, was thinking in far different terms than she was: he wanted her on the throne with him by her side. Marike wasn’t even thinking about the throne. At least not yet.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marike exited the hospital, and once again found herself on the streets of Baltimore. Melanie was from Maryland herself, and had cleaned Baltimore up for the most part, making it one of the nicest and most prosperous cities in the United States of America, the only nominally independent nation left in the galaxy aside from Melanie’s Galactic Empire. That was in name only.

She began to quickly walk down North Broadway, and soon found herself in Fells Point, a trendy and vibrant historic part of the city, and one of the few neighborhoods not particularly touched by Melanie’s urban revolution project. On every corner and building was a plaque with pictures of Melanie visiting that bar or street: she did grow up here after all. Her statue even graced the main square of the neighborhood.

Marike didn’t care. She walked onto the waterfront and towards some residential buildings. The atmosphere changed, from one of a bustling cityscape to a quiet waterfront apartment complex. There, was a bench, with a hooded man sitting on it. Marike breezed by him and sat on the bench herself, covering her head with her hands. The events of the last few weeks were too much, and she just needed to reflect.

She sat there, half crying out of sadness and rage, wondering how she was going to move forward from these events. As she sat there, the hooded man gently placed his hand onto her shoulder.

“It’s going to be alright Marike.”

Marike gently brushed his hand away, but looked at him in his face. “How do you know who I am?”

“I know many things about you, Marike. I am of the Shroud.”

Before Marike could react, a group of apartment residents turned the corner and down the boardwalk. The hooded man raised his hand and clenched his fist, and time simply stopped. The wind stopped flowing, the people stopped walking, and the waves ceased crashing. Marike stood, stunned, and quickly walked to the group of people walking by. They were frozen in time.

“How did you do that?!” Marike gasped. “Who are you?!”

“Who I am is not important. All I can say is that they are coming, and you are not yet ready.”

“They?” Marike spitted out in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“Everything happens the way it has happened for a reason. Melanie came to power for a reason, John did what he did to you for a reason, and you are here for a reason. The Source is impartial as to who it picks…it just…does.”

“I’m confused.”

“You are far more important, Marike Van Zyl, than you think you are. A threat larger than anything this galaxy has ever faced is coming, and I am here to prepare you for it. Will you listen to me?”

“Can you tell me what this threat is?”

“If I told you, you would ever be able to fight it.”

“What must I do?” Marike relented.

“Melanie Bernard seeks a successor to take over when she dies. You must be that successor. Everything falls apart if you are not. Time itself will fall apart. I wish I could explain these things to your fragile mind, but I cannot.”

“How can I do this when John is meant to take over?”

“Play the game that Case wishes you to play. Play this game, and you will become what you have always been destined to be. When you are ready, I will tell you where to go to truly unlock your potential. An ancient fortress awaits you, but you must be willing to sacrifice that you hold dear in order to do what needs to be done. I will meet you again, Marike Van Zyl. The next time we meet, you won’t have that name anymore.”

“You know the future?!”

“So long Chosen One.”

“What?!”

Before Marike could ask him what was going on, he disappeared. Time once again continued on its normal pace.

Marike stood there, mouth agape.

Last edited:
Now now.... Chosen One. Immortality next then I guess.

Marike groaned as she rudely awoken from her sleep. She turned her head and tapped her tablet, which was charging on the nightstand next to her bed. 6:35, it read on the top. Marike turned her and head and closed her eyes to head back to sleep, when she heard what woke her up the first time: her doorbell. Someone was at the door.

“I’m coming!” She yelled in dismay as the ringing continued. Her head was throbbing; she had had far too much to drink the night before, and was completely dehydrated. She rolled out her bed and walked towards the door almost like a zombie, nearly hitting the door and several other pieces of furniture on her way over. As she approached the door, she tripped and fell, but managed to catch herself on the door itself.

“Who is it?” Marike asked unenthusiastically.

“Zoe!” Zoe said in her cheery voice.

Ugh, Marike thought as she opened the door. “Zoe, it’s 6:35 in the morning! What are you doing here?!”

Zoe was smartly dressed in the usual red and black uniform dress that female clones under Melanie’s personal service. Her blond hair was tied neatly in a loose bun, and her injuries were mostly covered up by makeup and natural healing. Marike just could not get over just how closely Melanie and Zoe looked.

“I have to go to work! The Protector was discharged last night, so I was called in.”

“That’s….great!” Marike replied, trying not to hide her disdain. The last two weeks were incredible. For the first time in her life, the palace felt…free. Workers began to openly indulge themselves, people felt confident enough to joke and banter, and the entire atmosphere of the palace changed. For two weeks, things were almost magical, like a weight had been lifted from the air. That was obviously over. “Again, what are you doing here though? It’s really fucking early, Zoe!”

“I need to arrive at seven so that I can sort through the reports and make sure that only relevant items reach the Protector’s desk. She arrives at eight, so everything has to be ready for her.”

“Again,” Marike groaned, “why aren’t you heading out?”

“I would like to walk with someone to the palace,” Zoe interjected, her head turning downwards towards the marble floor of the apartment building. “Last time…”

“I know,” Marike nodded, smiling faintly and patting Zoe on the shoulder. “I don’t usually arrive at the palace until one most days, so I wasn’t expecting you.”

“One?” Zoe’s eyes opened widely. “What do you do all day?”

“Are you implying that I am lazy?”

“No!!” Zoe protested. “I’m sorry…”

“I was joking,” Marike laughed. “Let me drink some water, get dressed real quick, and I’ll walk you over. I had too much to drink last night, and I am feeling like shit.”

“Alright!” Zoe grinned.

Marike quickly walked to her kitchen and poured herself a glass of water. She reached into a drawer and pulled a few pills out: these pills were made before Melanie rose to power and were widely used to instantly cure hangovers. They were not really made today after Melanie banned alcohol consumption, but determined buyers, like herself, could source them. She downed them with the water as quickly as she could.

She stumbled into her room and placed a jacket over her pajamas. She tossed a set of clothing into a bag and headed back towards the front door. She would just shower in the office.

“All ready!” Marike said, her head throbbing from tiredness.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“So, Zoe,” Marike began as the exited the elevator on the Protector’s floor. “What duties do you do?”

“I can show you!” Zoe clapped her heads with excitement. The two women walked down the hall and into Melanie’s massive office. To their right was the greeting/entertainment room that Melanie used to entertain guests, herself, and her family. To their left was an ornate and paneled hallway, which is where Melanie’s retinue worked. Zoe’s office was the end of the hall and to the right. Sandra, the head of the clone retinue, worked right at the start of the hallway, and her office was filled with typing. She was already hard at work, and it was only seven in the morning.

Zoe’s office was perfectly organized and neat, with everything color coded and placed in binders and folders. As she entered, Zoe placed Mr. Snuggles right on the desk.

“Nice office,” Marike said, her eyes examining the space.

“It’s nice now,” Zoe smiled, “wait until I log onto the system!” Zoe sat down at her desk, scanned her keycard at a small scanner next to the computer, and immediately, massive holographic screens appeared from projectors around her office. The screens filled with excessive amounts of information, with pictures of planets and detailed reports on a variety of different topics. It looked like she would be overwhelmed, but when the screens was filled, she pressed a button which stopped the flow of information.

“Shit!” Marike exclaimed. “What the hell is all of this?”

“Sandra likes to say that we are a part of Melanie. We serve as extensions of herself. She is human, and cannot remember everything that she has to do, so we perform those tasks for her. All of these items are reports from across the galaxy. I am authorized to handle most of them, but things that I cannot, I give to the Protector. This is what I do for much of the day. On other days, I go the Protector’s room and help her get ready, by doing her hair and makeup. Janna is assigned to that today. I love doing that!”

“You seem like a busy individual. Isn’t this work absolutely boring?”

Zoe shook her head. “No! This is fun stuff. I mean, look at this document, right on the top.”

Marike reached out and moved some screens, revealing a document on a smaller holographic terminal. It was a document from a ice world on a star system that Marike had never even heard of before. The governor was asking why resources that he needed to keep prisoners in line were being redirected towards another project. The Sector governor was asking for guidance in the matter.

“I mean,” Marike shrugged, “he could use the stuff. He seems like he needs it.”

Zoe shook her head. “Nope, these resources are needed to help build more factories on Colonia Mediterranea, as more people are moving onto that sea world. This is something that I can personally handle myself, so this doesn’t need to reach the Protector. I’ll just send it back to the sector governor and he can handle it the way she wants.”

“Great.”

“Want to help?”

“I would love to, but I need to get some sleep,” Marike yawned. “I went to bed at three last night.”

Zoe frowned. She was about to say something, but quickly stopped when she realized that someone had entered her office.

“That’s really late,” Melanie said sarcastically. Marike turned around and instinctively bowed ever so slightly. Melanie looked like she usually did, wearing a dark grey dress with her blond hair tied in a loose bun. She really didn’t care for fashion much anymore. In older depictions, Melanie always had a knack for dressing flashily and in the latest styles. That ended when Fletcher died.

“I was working really late last night,” Marike replied.

“I knew I heard your voice as I entered my office,” Melanie grinned ever so slightly. “This saves me from having to send some clones to come wake you up.”

“What for, Protector?” Marike said, trying to hide a bit of fear.

“At eleven, I am gathering everyone involved in…the incident for a briefing. You were there when I was shot and I want you to be at this briefing,” Melanie replied, grabbing the bottom right of her stomach. It was clear that she was still in pain.

“Are you alright, Protector?” Zoe whimpered, her eyes betraying her concern.

“I’m alright, Zoe,” Melanie grimaced in pain. “I’ve had my arm cut off before, and I’ve been stabbed more times than I remember. I can handle this.”

“You weren’t eighty-one then,” Marike joked quietly, ever aware that Melanie had spent her birthday in the hospital.

“No, I wasn’t,” Melanie giggled under her breath. That was a good one. “Be there in the conference room, and don’t be late.”

“I will, Protector,” Marike nodded. “I will be there.”

“Can I come?” Zoe asked as she filed away some papers.

“You sure can,” Melanie said, shaking her head in affirmation.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The briefing room was filled with a terrible sense of anxiety. Everyone in the room was sharply dressed and perfectly manicured, but it did not matter. A woman, apparently a security director, was in a nervous breakdown, and a man next to her was doing his best to keep her calm. Everyone was fidgeting around madly. Marike, however, was calm. She had nothing to do with the events, at least in her mind, so there was no reason to be worried. She looked at the clock.

11:00

The door, which was closed, was kicked down. In came Johnathan Fredricks, the near seven foot tall and yoked man that he was. He picked up the broken door and threw it against a wall, splintering it into multiple large chunks. He was angry…very angry. His veins bulged.

Melanie entered next with her clone retinue by her side, holding a small knife in her right hand. Her clone guards entered last, encased in their armor of crimson red. Each one walked to specific points in the conference room, surrounding the table. It was clear that someone, perhaps a lot of people, were about to die in violent ways. Everyone around the table was just about to piss themselves, but Marike was calm, oddly so. She did not care, or was too hungover to comprehend the situation.

“Protector,” Sandra pleaded. “You are still hurt…perhaps we should get you back to your room..”

“No need,” Melanie plopped down in her chair at the front of the table, and leaned back, placing her feet on the table. She enjoyed using the awkward silence to break people, and effectively used it in the past. Here, she just sat, playing with her knife and polishing the blade. John stood next to her. Unlike Melanie, his eyes stared at only person: Marike. Zoe stood next to the door.

“So,” Melanie finally began, breaking the silence, “let’s get to the point. Why was I nearly killed?”

Silence.

Melanie began to laugh manically. “Nothing! Alright, I guess we can all leave. Meeting closed,” she stated, placing her feet back onto the floor and standing.

Nobody moved.

“Am I going crazy? Why is nobody leaving? Eric,” she pointed to the governor of Barnardia. “Why are you still sitting?”

“We…,” he stuttered out. “There is m…much to discuss.”

“Right,” Melanie grinned, feigning satisfaction. “We do. Can you explain how I nearly died?”

“Well…” the governor stammered. He was clearly afraid. “Someone managed to get a set of clone armor…”

Melanie nodded, and began to walk away. Suddenly, she turned around and expertly flung her knife right into his face, the force of the blow knocked him back and caused his chair to fall backwards. He was killed almost immediately. Melanie angrily walked over to his body and pulled her knife from his face. The people next to the governor recoiled in fear.

“Look you pieces of shit!” Melanie yelled. She was now in her unstable state, something was truly terrifying. “I nearly fucking died. I was shot! My stomach was burned through, and most of it had to be fucking replaced! I spent my…fucking…birthday…in the hospital. In the hospital!! Someone fucking tell me why this happened!”

“ANSWER THE PROTECTOR!!” John roared.

“Alright!” Marike groaned, trying to not get anymore people killed. “I’ll tell you what happened Protector. Two men tried to launch a coup,” she began, referencing the two men that John had tortured in the basement. “They attacked Zoe to get you to leave the palace. They somehow snuck an assassin into a clone and tried to kill you…”

“Do you think I’m stupid Marike?!” Melanie retorted loudly her tone full of annoyance. “I know all of this already. I want to know EXACTLY what protocols were broken and how we can fucking fix this!”

“I can’t help you there,” Marike shrugged.

“WHO DO….FUCK!!” Melanie said, grabbing her stomach. Her hands began to fill with blood: one of her stiches broke. Her clone retinue immediately flung into action, placing her onto the wall and tending to the wound, wrapping bandages around her body and cleaning any blood that they could. Zoe was oddly calm, her training kicking into high gear.

“Out of the way!” John yelled, moving chairs to make a path to Melanie. “Bring her to the hospital downtown!” He ordered. Sandra nodded in affirmation.

“FUCK THE HOSPITAL!!” Melanie screamed. “FUCK THIS BULLSHIT! I HAVE A GALAXY TO PREPARE!! DON’T BRING ME BACK!!”

Marike’s eyes widened. Prepare the galaxy for what? “For…them?” She said, something seemingly supernatural egging her on. Her voice was a low whisper, but it was surely audible. Melanie heard it, and she froze in a bit of shock.

“EVERYONE OUT!!!” Melanie roared, coughing up a small amount of blood. Everyone around the table vacated almost immediately, sprinting out of the room and shutting the door on their way out. John stood there in a mixture of confusion and shock. Nobody knew what was going on. “Marike,” she continued. “My office…tonight. Now someone hand me a power-knife, I need to cauterize this fucking wound.”
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marike didn’t know what to expect as she entered Melanie’s office. Melanie’s clone guards let her in, and shut the door immediately.

“Come up,” Melanie said, her voice echoing from the second floor. Marike shrugged her shoulders and walked up the stairs to where Melanie’s desk was. Melanie wasn’t even working on anything like she usually was. She was clearly expecting Marike, and had prepared for this eventuality. That frightened her the most. She was wearing what she was earlier in the day, but had bandages wrapped around her dress.

“How are you Protector?”

“No need for formalities,” Melanie replied, clapping her heads. “Tell me exactly what you mean by them. Exactly.”

“Shouldn’t you be in…”

“No, I shouldn’t,” Melanie snapped. “Tell me what you know.”

Marike sighed, and looked around the room for a few moments. “Alright. I don’t know much,” she began nervously, “but when I was sent from the hospital a few weeks ago, I saw someone, a man. He claimed to be from the Shroud, whatever the hell that is. He said that I was important, and that I needed to be ready to fight a threat that was larger than anything that the galaxy had ever faced. He said that I needed to prepare. I swear, Protector, that is all I know.”

Melanie stared deeply into her eyes for an uncomfortable amount of time. “You aren’t lying, I can see that much,” Melanie smirked. “Follow me please.”

Melanie led Marike out of her office and down the hall. After a few minutes of walking, the two went down another hallway, this one dark and clearly neglected. At the end was an old door, built in a style that went out of fashion decades ago. Melanie scanned her card, and the door moaned and creaked open.

“This was Courtney’s old office,” Melanie explained. The office was dark, yet maintained as it was. Everything was outdated by at least fifty years, with appliances and gadgets that Marike had only seen in old movies and television shows. Nothing had changed here since Courtney passed, that was for sure. Her papers, her files, and all the furniture was exactly where she had left it many years ago. Melanie walked over into Courtney’s old bedroom. There, right at the end of the room, was a massive stone door, clearly out of place in the once modern and furnished apartment.

“What is this?” Marike asked, grabbing her head. The room was pulsating with such pure psionic energy, that she could not even think straight. “That room is full of fucking energy! I can’t even think!”

“I know,” Melanie grunted in affirmation. “You think you can handle inside? I’m not attuned to that world as you are.”

“I sure hope so,” Marike huffed.

Melanie nodded and opened the stone door. Marike, summoning all of her strength, opened her eyes and entered the room. It was massive, and built using technology and ornamentation that was unlike anything that she had ever seen before. The room sloped upwards like a pyramid, and there was a massive marble casket right in the middle. Ancient artwork and murals covered the walls.

“This is the tomb of the last Roman Emperor,” Melanie explained. “We found this one day digging through Courtney’s stuff. The day we opened that tomb…is the day that all of the psionic energy entered the world.”

“Why…are…we here?” Marike asked, her head feeling like it was going to explode. She had never felt this much power in one place. She could hardly breathe.

Melanie walked over to the far side of the sarcophagus and motioned for Marike to follow. “This is what made me almost kill myself many years ago,” she said, pointing at a mural.

“That is you,” Marike shrugged, staring at the mural. It was clearly a depiction of Melanie.

“Yes, but this was carved in 1453. Look, this mural here depicts my birth, this one depicts…school, I’ll leave it at that,” she said, blushing. “This one that we were looking at is when I was first on a broadcast during an invasion. The next one is when Fletcher…was killed.”

Marike saw the next one over. It was of a multitude of alien species all bowing before Melanie. “I assume this one depicts you conquering the galaxy.”

“Yes. This next one shows me building an army and stabilizing the galaxy. Then, I die in this next one.”

The murals continued to go on and on. The next one showed what appeared to be portals opening, with a smaller figure fighting back whatever was coming forth from them. This figure won, as shown by her closing the portals, but she had to enlist help from an undiscernible entity to do so. The murals appeared less and less rational, ending with one of this figure fighting with two other figures, one of them male, and the other female. Then, the murals ended.

Melanie discerned that Marike was having difficulty staying in the room so she motioned for her to follow her out. Melanie closed the doors, and locked Courtney’s office back up. Once the two women were back in Melanie’s office, Melanie shut the doors and walked up to her desk. Everything was a blur to Marike, as the power dulled her senses.

“Marike,” she said, sitting down. “I believe that you are that second figure.”

“What?!” Marike gasped. “What are you talking about?”

“I thought that when you tried to fight me, you would kill me then and there. I was shocked that I beat you.”

“I was shocked that you beat me as well,” Marike admitted.

“None of that matters now. You seeing that man has only confirmed my suspicions. Those murals have told the past, so I have no reason to doubt the future.”

Marike shifted uncomfortably her seat. “What does this mean?”

“It means that you will eventually take over when I pass, I don’t know the details. Everything that I have done, and everything that I will do, is building towards saving the galaxy from whatever it is comes from those portals,” Melanie confessed. “I have built a totalitarian galactic empire, with a fanatical and loyal army whose sole purpose is to enforce the will of the dictator whole rules them. Everything is streamlined, efficient, and well running. You will have the entire galaxy under your grip, with the resources of trillions of planets to use to defeat this enemy. I laid the ground work, and you will execute on this. I will gift you everything that you can possibly need to win.”

“I don’t know what so say…”

“Let me tell you. Marike, you are a gifted individual, but you are making too many enemies. Johnathan hates you. I trust him more than anyone else alive, and it is extremely hard to disagree with him, because he is right about you. My daughter, my last living daughter, dislikes you just as much. The Ecumenical Patriarch despise you after what you did to his priests. You are making powerful enemies dear.”

“I…”

“I’m not finished,” Melanie snapped harshly. “I also know about John torturing you. Zoe confessed that you were in in the hospital, and I did some digging. John would never disobey me, so for him to blur the lines of my orders means that he is truly struggling with my loyalty to you. I ache to see him in such a state. I will not stand for this any longer. My heart cannot take it anymore.”

“Why didn’t he kill me there?”

“Because I told to not touch you!” Melanie replied loudly. “He obeys me perfectly. He was blurring the lines because I was unconscious.”

“Is he brainwashed?”

Melanie sighed. “John was…a straight soldier for many years, just like myself. He was in Courtney’s old army, and she drilled her men practically from birth to be loyal. That is where he comes from. John was drilled to listen. He served me well. That is all you need to know.”

“But…”

“Not buts Marike. You need allies. Stop alienating people. You cannot rule people who do not want to be ruled. The last thing you need is disloyal men under your command.”

“I understand,” Marike sighed in defeat.

“You will rule the galaxy one day, but I will not surrender my power until I either die, or I feel as if you are ready, and right now dear, you are not ready. Now get out of my office.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The air in the hallway was so tense that Marike could have cut it with a knife. She would have usually spent the time in the bulk, but her mind was not at ease. All she could think about was what that strange being had told her. Play the game…chosen one. What did all of that even mean? Nothing made sense at all.

She walked by Case’s office. He was in there, definitely. The lights were on, and his secretaries were all in there. Her mind was telling her yes, but her body was repulsed. She couldn’t do it. No. She turned her head and continued down the hallway.

The game, she heard, whispering next to her. Play the game. It was clear as day, but nobody else around her even heard it. As she continued to walk, the whispers grew louder, until they overpowered everything. Even closing her ears did nothing. In pain, she turned around, and they slowly subsided. She knew what she had to do. She forcefully entered Case’s office and, without being asked, entered Case’s office. There he was, working on whatever he was working on.

Case was a handsome man. Tall, blond hair, with a neatly trimmed face, any girl would want him.

“Marike!” Case turned his head and grinned with excitement. “I wasn’t expecting you.”

“We need to talk,” Marike huffed, shutting his door behind her. “About many things.”

“Is this about Samuel?” Case smiled. “The offer is still there.”

“No you silly,” Marike countered, her head filled with whispers egging her on. “This is about you and I.”

“What do you mean?”

Before Case could react, Marike leaned over the desk and gave Case a brief yet powerful kiss on his lips. Case was shocked, but did nothing to fight back. His face relaxed, his entire body at ease with pleasure.

“Case,” Marike said, her arm shaking with a mixture of fear and uncertainty as she pushed him away ever so gently “I…I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be sorry!” Case beamed. It was clear that his dreams had just come true. He was radiating pure joy. “What happened though? You seemed like you wanted to kill me not long ago.”

“I thought about it,” Marike replied, hesitating slightly. “But…I appreciate the ways that you stood up for me. It’s clear that you love me.”

“I don’t just love you Marike,” Case blushed with arousal. “I fucking need you.” He was not looking at her eyes anymore, but at her chest. “But my wife is in the way.”

“Fuck your wife,” Marike replied, grabbing his body and pulling him towards hers. “I will take care of her.”

“Good,” Case said as he began to undress her.

Hey all,

To be honest, I have lost inspiration for this at the moment. Normally, I would power through, but I think that you guys, the audience, aren't really feeling this either. I'm going to table this for the time being. Writing has become a hobby of mine and I enjoy doing it, but I just cannot keep slogging through like this. I may finish it one day, but I'm going to take a break from the Melanie/Marike saga until I get some energy for this story back.

That being said, I have begun to write another HOI4 AAR that I am insanely passionate about. Get ready for the first part to come out soon.

Love you all,
Alex

Last edited:
Hey all,

To be honest, I have lost inspiration for this at the moment. Normally, I would power through, but I think that you guys, the audience, aren't really feeling this either. I'm going to table this for the time being. Writing has become a hobby of mine and I enjoy doing it, but I just cannot keep slogging through like this. I may finish it one day, but I'm going to take a break from the Melanie/Marike saga until I get some energy for this story back.

That being said, I have begun to write another HOI4 AAR that I am insanely passionate about. Get ready for the first part to come out soon.

Love you all,
Alex
On one hand, I am sorry to hear that. But on the other hand, writing an AAR should be fun, so good choice. :)

On one hand, I am sorry to hear that. But on the other hand, writing an AAR should be fun, so good choice. :)

Thanks for the kind words. I will finish this, eventually :p

I am sorry alex man142 to say that I have lost touch with this AAR.

My general view with AAR writing is - when the fun stops, stop.
A change is as good as a rest, as they say

I am sorry alex man142 to say that I have lost touch with this AAR.

My general view with AAR writing is - when the fun stops, stop.
A change is as good as a rest, as they say

I don't blame you to be honest. I lost control of my story and was just writing a ton of fluff without actually advancing anything meaningfully. I actually had a plan going into this, and of course I overstepped it quickly once I lost interest in the England story.

I'll get back to this, probably starting with a twenty year time jump, something I should have done twenty chapters ago :D. I haven't left the introduction to Marike's story for goodness sake

I've been reading this AAR for the last two days or so. A really good one, and it's sad you have to take a break but well, it's quite understandable as well :)

I'll be here when (if) you decide going on with this and try to check your other AARS! Cheers!