• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

takedown47

Grand Strategist
24 Badges
Oct 24, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
Flag Pack I

This started out as a minor tweak to the demo/full version of the game which changed the flag of england to something that looks more appropriate than the plantagent dynastic coat of arms. It has since expanded and now includes three new flags.

Flag Pack I

New generic flags for

- Kingdom of England
- Kingdom of Wales

Improved Flags for

- Knights Templar
- Knights Hospitaller

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s0m9j4k1erkw7sb/England+flag+mod.zip

Install: Just unzip then copy paste the files into the gfx/flags folder (overwite the old file when prompted)

n6p8g0.jpg

25k08yh.jpg

1252p8j.jpg

3531qo1.jpg

2rhmel5.jpg

Last edited:
St. George wasn't really associated with England until late in the period (the reign of Edward III). For some time Edmund the Martyr was patron saint.

The St. George was "borrowed" from genoa in the 1180s-1190s, and England paid tribute to be able to use the flag.

It was used as an emblem previously to this, so there may have been a small following, but it was not a national flag early on.

Unfortunately there isn't really a flag that is universally "correct" for the whole period.

Unfortunately there isn't really a flag that is universally "correct" for the whole period.

which is why i made this mod ;)

its not meant to be historically accurate but honestly i dont think there ever can be for this 1066-1453 time period (maybe after 1180 as you say but still, the old flag just seems wrong)

Well, being (at least according to one school of thought) the combined lions of Normandy and Anjou, the lions aren't necessarily english at all...

Another possible set of English colours for the flag would be blue with three gold crowns. This is sometimes associated with King Arthur. Unfortunately this is also considered a swedish design.

The Godwin dynasty must have had a flag or banner to take into battle, no? They minted coins with his face on...surely there must be something? A bing search didnt help though, so maybe not...

They would have had a banner with their personal symbols on it. They may have had a national flag, but the problem is we don't really have much of a description of it, if it existed. A dragon banner would be reasonable, considering that the Red Dragon of the Welsh is said to have been set against the White Dragon of the Saxons several times, but we don't know if this was a banner or not, and what form it would take.

There may even have been Norse Raven Banners flying at Hastings, on both sides.

It's an improvement. I see the plantagenet flag and I think 'bastards'.

unfortunately no. the original flag worked the normans won but i've seen many occasions where they do not. my challenge was therefore finding a banner which could represent the spirit of england throughout the 1066 to 1453 period regardless of who was king, whether it was harold godwinson, william the bastard, a danish king or even an italian orthodox.

It's definitely more appropriate than the Norman flag. Although it would be interesting if certain flags could change with culture, like Vicky's does with government.

IIRC the current flag is 'Angevin', anyway the point is that this flag is appropriate for a 1066 pre-conquest start, whereas the standard flag is more suited for a 1066 post-conquest start and later dates. As said before unfortunately flag can't change in game, which at various dates would also be useful for other regions than England.

i'm thinking of redoing the teutonic order coat of arms as well. instead of a white cross on a red backgound, i'll change it to a white cross on a black background.