• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tex94

Recruit
24 Badges
Jul 16, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hey everyone,

Already posted in Bug reports but wanted to see if anyone's found a workaround for this problem in 1.30.3. In short, the game crashes on the same day as the "Enforced Unity of Faith" privilege expires, I'm not sure why but as far as I can tell by browsing, it seems this is a common issue for Mac users and it doesn't seem to me as if Paradox has fixed it.

1. Description: Eu4 crashes when "Enforced Unity of Faith" privilege expires, played on a MacOS
  2. Game Version: 1.30.3 (MacOS)
  3. Expansions: Most, do NOT have: Cossack, Third Rome, Cradle of Civilization, Mare Nostrum, or Mandate of Heaven
  4. Mods: N / A
  5. Explain the issue: During an ironman game, the game crashes to desktop when the "Enforced Unity of Faith" clergy privilege expires on August 2nd 1721, I've tried restarting the game, as well as the computer, and it does not resolve the problem, the game crashes regardless as soon as the privilege expires.
  6. Steps to Reproduce: Load EU4 v.1.30.3 on running on a MacOS, grant the "Enforced Unity of Faith" privilege, play until the privilege expires.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 6.50.35 PM.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe the only workaround is to play past that point on a non-Mac machine. Once past it I think you can go back to the Mac.

@grotaclas would you agree?

@AndrewT , understood, appreciate the feedback.

Seems like kind of a hassle to run a different OS as I only have a Mac for personal use, but wanted to ask if this is something that Paradox is now aware of and will try to fix in the next hotfix update as it seems to be something of a major issue for Mac users? In that case, I'll probably just wait it out, but am hoping to finish that game at some point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In all honesty I've been letting @grotaclas run with this issue, so I'm not really sure where it stands.

To answer your question, if it has been reported in the Bug Reports forum here it should be fixed in the next patch, I'd expect.

I believe the only workaround is to play past that point on a non-Mac machine. Once past it I think you can go back to the Mac.

@grotaclas would you agree?
That should works as a workaround. A windows user did this for another user in a thread in the main forum, but loading a save game of another user disables achievements. Installing a different OS on your mac or in virtual machine is also likely going to work, but there is a tiny chance that this is hardware bug and another OS on the same machine would have the same problem. AFAIK nobody has tested this yet.
I think it should be possible to workaround the bug by modding how that privilege works, but that would disable achievements. I wanted to do different workaround mods for a user in another thread to see what works(because I don't have a mac to test it), but I didn't find the time yet.

but wanted to ask if this is something that Paradox is now aware of and will try to fix in the next hotfix update as it seems to be something of a major issue for Mac users?
There is at least one bugreport with a save game that has this issue, but I don't know if there is a bugreport that mentions that this only happens on macOS and that it is caused by the privilege. I didn't get around to post this additional information there.

There is at least one bugreport with a save game that has this issue, but I don't know if there is a bugreport that mentions that this only happens on macOS and that it is caused by the privilege. I didn't get around to post this additional information there.
@Tex94 Can you please add your saved game to that thread, and mention the Mac angle there? Otherwise QA may attempt to duplicate it on Windows, see no problem, and so not lodge a bug report to the developers.

Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just got stuck on a game where I had "Enforced Unity of Faith" privilege, and it would crash on a day when it expires, every time!
Going to attach my savegame, hopefully it'll help prepare a fix.
Also if anyone on Win could load my game and pass one day and re-save-upload, I'd super grateful. Just a EU4 noob here :) so not a perfect game for me.
In the meantime will try to create a virtual Win on my Mac, just in case...

Attachments

• day_before_crash.eu4
    4,7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I just got stuck on a game where I had "Enforced Unity of Faith" privilege, and it would crash on a day when it expires, every time!
Going to attach my savegame, hopefully it'll help prepare a fix.
Also if anyone on Win could load my game and pass one day and re-save-upload, I'd super grateful. Just a EU4 noob here :) so not a perfect game for me.
In the meantime will try to create a virtual Win on my Mac, just in case...
You can try to add an additional privilege to the clergy estate. That has helped two people with the same problem. If that doesn't help, I can pass the day of your save on Linux which also doesn't have the bug. But I would have to deactivate all DLCs to not mess up your save.

I attached the file from one day later.
Would appreciate fast-forward one day, and since I'm playing vanilla deactivating DLCs won't affect my game.
Because you are playing vanilla, I had to deactivate all DLCs. Otherwise eu4 would have added all the DLC features to the save game and when you would have loaded it again, eu4 would have removed the features again. And it is likely that something would break in the process.

BTW: if you increase your army maintenance, you will do more morale damage and can easier fight the rebels. If you reduce the maintenance again before the end of the month, it will cost you nothing.

Attachments

• day_after_crash.eu4
    4,7 MB · Views: 0
If I may put my two cents into this... I faced the same problem with the Enforced Unity of Faith privilege on macOS. I managed to get past the expiration date by filling ALL the remaining clergy privilege slots (adding just one didn't fix it for me). I also called a diet but I am not sure whether it contributed to the solution. Hope this is useful to someone.