• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XII: The Italian Maghreb
1609-1649
Flagcopy.gif

Tensions with the French over Africa continued, preventing any easy expansion. Fortunately, South America lay open for colonization. Until 1623, colonists came in droves to Brazil, and our colonies expanded South along the coast to the Rio de la Plata.

By 1623 tensions had dissolved and we immediately set our eyes on the Maghreb. 40,000 troops were brought to the Algerian border and the Wars of the Maghreb began. [Note: I consider all these wars one protracted conflict with the Arab states from 1623-1641] Our armies quickly swept through Algiers and crushed their unprepared armies. We were able to secure a route from Morocco to Libya, giving us a land border with the Mamluks.

Before attacking the Mamluks, we sought a southern land border as well. The legends of a Christian Ethiopia proved to be false, and only heathen Muslims remained; we had no qualms invading the Ethiopian Sultanate in 1629. After the uncivilized Ethiopians fell we launched a two-pronged invasion of the Mamluks. Just as the occupation was completed in 1634, we received news of a personal union between the Netherlands and the Byzantine Empire. This effectively sealed the fate of Egpyt; the far-away Dutch had no interests in Byzantine affairs. Given free rein, in just 7 years after the first occupation of the Mamluks the last African state was gone.

While the Dutch were not focused on the Byzantines, they had been with colonization, particularly in the New World. While we were occupied in the Maghreb, the Dutch had been colonizing South America - in violation of the British-Italian agreements. [Note: It was the AI playing the Netherlands] Fortunately, the Dutch were receptive to a purchase of the colonies, known as the South Andean Purchase, for a sum of 1000 ducats. As a sign of goodwill towards the Dutch, we guaranteed their claims to Oceania as well.

----------
Yes, this is a late update, but I need to get caught up. :rolleyes:

AfricaExpansion.gif

Expansion into Africa between 1609 and 1649.

PieChart.gif

Religion1649AAR.png

Europe1649AAR.png

World1649AAR.png

Last edited:
Chapter XIII: The Turning Point
1649-1668
Flagcopy.gif

[This is an economic update, essentially, so it's in 1st person]

I fought no wars during these two decades; it was a time of peace and prosperity. Italy has nearly reached the zenith of its expansion - only a small amount of colonization remains. Perhaps most importantly, this means that the focus is now on the economy. For 8 years I put all of the treasury into building marketplaces and forts all over Italy and the colonies. Then there was a pleasant surprise:

01_Cultural_Assimilation.gif

Gorz, the most profitable province in Italy, had become Italian.

Little else of interest occurred in Italy - until I could build tax assessors. At that moment, the treasury was completely emptied to build tax assessors all over the country. It can truly be called a turning point for Italy, with huge implications. Aside from simply having an early advantage, building tax assessors has not only increased the demand for colonial goods, but will allow me to mint enough money to build other buildings without inflation. It may as well be unlimited growth. :p

Demand for Colonial Goods (including Sugar, Tobacco, Coffee and Ivory)
Without a Marketplace: -80%
Customs House: +50%
Constable: +50%
Tax Assessor: +50%

Since I still have many of these buildings left to build, especially customs houses and constables, I can expect sustained growth for a long period. I realize that it is global demand, but I control a large enough amount of the world's provinces to affect global demand by those buildings. I produce a lot of Sugar, Tobacco, Coffee and Ivory - just look at the pie charts below (the Other category has tobacco and coffee in it).

Also related to colonial goods is the production of slaves. I hold a complete monopoly over slaves - there is in fact only 1 slave province that I don't own, which Griffin has. The demand for slaves is increased by 900% for each province that produces Sugar, Tobacco, Cotton or Coffee. The demand for slaves is slowly approaching its zenith - but the demand won't die down. Currently, the demand for slaves is 183% compared to a supply of 23%, raising the base price of 5 ducats to 18 ducats. Slaves are, in fact, the most demanded good in game. :p

Anyway, a breakdown of my monthly income:

Monthly Income
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Source        Efficiency  Income
Tax:          (166%)      124.8
Production:   74%         54.9
Trade Income: 62%         32.8
Gold:                     58.1
Tariffs:      125%        310.8[/FONT]
(I have taken the Viceroys National Idea to increase my tariff efficiency to 125%)

I hope you all enjoyed this little economic update. ;)

PieCharts.gif

Religion1668.png

Europe1668AAR.png

World1668AAR.png

Last edited:
Good that people value slaves.

Why don't you divide GB?
The home isles for Preussen, North-America northwest of Missisippi to dutch, middle-americas to french, south america to italy? :p

Enewald said:
Good that people value slaves.

Why don't you divide GB?
The home isles for Preussen, North-America northwest of Missisippi to dutch, middle-americas to french, south america to italy? :p
Zuid-Afrika is a good source of them.
Now I'm gonna work on my AAR since I can't play today.

450px-Prinsenvlag.svg.png

Chapter 1: The fight over the supremacy of The Netherlands
A Brabant/Dutch AAR
Part 7.1: The East-Indies

These letters were discovered in the Dutch National Archive in Amsterdam. These letters depicts Admiral Guillaume de Houtman’s adventure to Zuid-Afrika and the East-Indies.

Multiplayer%20Brabant%20AAR

Dear father,
All hail Duke Guillaume II! The Company has given my orders now. I am preparing to sail to the unknown. I reached Nieuwhaven two days ago. I had time to visit the colony for a while. Obviously the Sea is the life of these settlers. They are either fishermen or workers at the harbour. My men are telling me that the ship will be ready by November. I’m nervous, I heard that the sea was rough there. I hope to be alright.
Love, your son Gullaume.

12th of November, 1566, Nieuwhaven.

deHoutman.jpg

Dear father,
I know this letter is short but i just want you to be aware that we should be sailing tomorrow. The other sailors are saying that the weather is actually not bad and it was a good time for sailing.

I hope they are right
Your son, Guillaume.

9th of February, 1567, “Cape of Good Hope”

ZuidAfrika.jpg

Dear father
I have reached the southern-most tip of Africa! I have called it “The Cape of Good Hope”. We had disembarked and met some natives there. I think it could be a very good spot for a Colony so that sailors can stop and repair their ships.

The Duke and the Company will be glad
Admiral de Houtman

12th of December, 1567, Burma

HoutmanInBurma.jpg

Dear Father

I have reached what the French explorers called “Burma”. The natives were very helpful and they repaired our ship. I was glad to hear that I was getting closer the Kingdom of Aceh according the the natives.

Admiral de Houtman, future discoverer of the East Indies.

28th of May, 1558, Straights of Malacca.

EastIndies1.jpg

Dear father,

I have reached the East-Indies. Sadly, the natives were not very welcomed with our “Surprise”. The First Army of the East-Indies landed. Our soldiers were attacked by the natives. It seemed that we could not acquire this land peacefully. Diplomacy failed. We were able to capture a map of Aceh and “Malacca”, a peninsula north of Aceh on the Mainland of Asia, also controlled by Aceh. While the Army of the East-Indies will be invading after capturing Aceh, I shall be mapping the Island and the most of the East-Indies I can map.

Admiral de Houtman, future conqueror of the Indies.

14th of Janurary, 1571, Aceh

OccupiedSumatra.jpg

Dear father,
I know, I know, it has been a while until I sent you a letter about my progress. I am happy to announce that our Glorious Armies are occupying the Island of Sumatra. They are moving toward Malacca. They seem to be tenacious and they may not surrender everything. It may take more another or more wars against them to fully conquer them.

Admiral de Houtman

13th of April, 1575, Aceh

Peace1Aceh.jpg

Dear father,
My work here is done. I have been able to conquer South and East of Sumatra and half of Malacca. I am coming after Nine years of my adventure. I don’t know how much time it is going to take until I come home but it shouldn’t take long. I hope that I will become famous back home in Amsterdam! I have a feeling that you may have shared the letters I sent you. I don’t mind.
Admiral de Houtman, your son.

OOC: I hope you enjoyed this different update.
Coming soon: Part 7.2: The Netherlands!
PS: Don't forget to read the Italian AAR a couple of posts back!