• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Brabant.svg.png

Chapter 1: The fight over the supremacy of The Netherlands
A Brabant/Dutch AAR
Part 6: The League of Maastricht.

DoWAragon.jpg

Another war with Aragon…

In 1543, France declared war on Aragon to reclaim the South of France, which was lost after wars with them. A French messenger asked the Glorious Duchy of Brabant to help the French Empire by taking care of The Palatinate, ally of the Aragonese. The Dutch agreed. They didn’t have much choice anyway. The Koninklijke Leger, now counting an impressive 25,000 men, moved towards Nassau, the closest City to the Duchy.

VictoryBattleofNassau.jpg

The Aftermath of the Battle of Nassau

The Palatinate army was caught by surprise and was whipped out in only a day, most taken prisoner. 2 weeks later, the small Garrison of the Fort of Nassau surrendered to the superior Dutch Army. The Ducal Army moved to Pfalz, an important city of The Palatinate.

VictoryPfalz.jpg

Pfalz has fallen!

The end of the war was near; the Palatinate was suffering a humiliating defeat. The City of Pfalz surrendered only weeks after Nassau did. France reached Madrid and the Kingdom of Aragon surrendered. Brabant sadly did not get much from the war (there was nothing to gain anyway).

ToTPalatinate.jpg

Oh sorry, I was a little bit too hard on you wasn’t I?

The Palatinate, on the other hand, suffered a defeat that its people could not believe. Times of Troubles stirred up in the Palatinate.

The Treaty of Fort-Oranje

assimilateConoy.jpg

Assimilating the newly acquired Conoy

On September 7th, 1543, The Glorious Duchy of Brabant and the Kingdom of Portugal singed the Treaty of Fort-Oranje. Portugal would cede its North-American possessions to Brabant. Brabant payed about 300 ducats for each colonies and accepted to stay out of the Islands of the Caribbean and South America.

Friesland finally accepts to be Brabantians

CoreFriesland.jpg

One step closer to the Netherlands

The people of Friesland finally recognized the Glorious Duke as their official sovereign. For Geoffroi, it was one step closer to become the Netherlands…

Dutch technological breakthrough!
Mauricians.jpg

Hell yes! Mauricians!

Maurice of Nassau, Dutch General and Governor of New-Netherlands, developed in November, 1550, a new use for the Muskets, which were becoming more and more used in the battlefield. The new tactics made the Musket a very, very deadly weapon. This made the Dutch Army the most modern in Europe. This was great timing because the Duke had some more plans cooked up for the future.

The War of the League of Maastricht.

WarofLeagueofMaastricht.jpg

The Fiasco

The King of France, the King of Portugal, the Duke of Brabant and the King of the newly formed Prussia, were growing worried of Great-Britain’s aggressive expansion in the New World. The leaders met in the Dutch city of Maastricht. They sealed a secret alliance to “Secure the Balance of Power in Europe”. According to rumors of the time, not only did Geoffroi wanted to take the Southern British Colonies, but he actually only joined because he hated the British. His mother was British and he disliked her so much that he became uneasy with any British person. In May, 1553, the League declared war on Great-Britain. 15,000 men were sent to New-Netherlands and 12,000 of them were sent to conquer the British southern colony, hopefully taking over them before the British could mount any resistance. That did not happen. However this was a great way to prove the might of the Maurician Tactics.

MusketsAwesome.jpg

Muskets = Kickass!

During the Battle of Catawba, 6,000 Dutch soldiers were facing 18,000 British Soldiers. The Dutch soldiers were greatly outnumbered. The 5,000 Dutch Musketeers armed with muskets repelled the British Cavalry and Infantry charges. About 4,500 British soldiers were killed and only about 1,500 Dutch soldiers were killed. However, this superiority could not last for long.

CharlesII.jpg

The beginning of the end for the League of Maastricht

During the battle after the Glorious Victory, Geffroi IV died in battle. Dutch morale was crushed. Charles II, nephew of Geoffroi, had no wish to fight against a more powerful foe. He thought that his uncle backstabbed the religiously-allied British. More and more British soldiers were pouring in the New-World. But another victory would secure the faith of the Dutch Colony in North America. A British Army sieged the Capital of New-Netherlands and the NWC. A British messenger came to the Governor of New-Netherlands, Maurice of Nassau, and asked the governor to surrender the colony or face the wrath of the British Army. Maurice famously replied to the messenger: “I will reply to your commander with mouths of my cannons!*”. The messenger was dismissed and the British bombarded the colony. Hopefully, a Dutch relieve force arrived and lifted the siege.

*This quote is actually from Governor Frontenac of France with the same situation in Québec.

The Treaty of Moscow
The pen is mightier than the Sword

The League of Maastricht was the failure of the century. The Duchy of Brabant had learned it’s lesson. The Duchy had lost about all of its armies. The only thing that was still intact is The Netherlands and the New-Netherlands. Not even its dignity was left. They signed the Treaty of Moscow, which returned to Status Quo. The Dutch decided to sign a private treaty originally named the Anglo-Dutch Treaty, which allowed the British to connect its Northern and Southern colonies while allowing New-Netherlands to expand northward. The new Duke, which had not the hatred of the British Geoffroi had, was able to restore the pre-war Anglo-Dutch relations. The Dutch learned its lesson: The pen is mightier than the sword.

Expanding New-Netherlands

ManahoacCity.jpg

One more colonial city!

Peace returned to the Duchy. The kind British actually helped with rebels back in the Netherlands. New-Netherlands expanded westward, creating a longer border with the British Southern Colony. Meanwhile, the British closed the gap between it’s two colonies.

FirmindeLuynes.jpg

Hurray, prestige!

The Glorious duchy was recovering from the fiasco of the League. Firmin de Luynes, expert Navigator and Advisor to the ducal crown, began reforming the Navy to help exploration and colonization. This would greatly help the Dutch to reach even farther lands. Maybe the Dutch could finally reach India?

assimilatePowathan.jpg

No more Portuguese in MY colony!

The second province that Portugal ceded before the war became Dutch with the help of immigrants from Holland and other parts of the Netherlands. The colony of New-Netherlands was becoming prosperous and bigger.

CoreNewAmsterdam.jpg

First colonial core!

New-Amsterdam, first colony of New-Netherlands and the NWC, officially became part of the Duchy of Brabant. The colonial Capital gained many good things out of this such as a productivity boost and more. Charles II was able to make the Glorious Duchy recover back on its feet. Even if his reign was not over yet, the people knew he would lead the Duchy to recovery and riches. Geoffroi IV was later known as “Geoffroi the Mad”.
…That’s about it after such a Fiasco…

League of Maastricht fails. :p

Now Dutch and English are allies?

Darknesskilla said:
Actually, we are making it sound worse than it actually was. Thing is, Russia was threatening military action agaisnt me and Brabant. That's what killed it.
Why did you attack in the first place?

Well France did because he thought GB was overly expanding and France didnt get anything, I did cause i could grab some colonies and i was damn scared of Britain's colony.
Such a waste of time.

Emperor Ike said:
Uuuh ugly flag....and ugly name...

maybe i should erase your ugly flag :)

Jambor said:
Man the English keep whooping you guys...

i can assure you, britain doesnt whoop russian ass, but its not my problem, its now the problem of the people allied to it.

Griffin.Gen said:
The Palatinate army was caught by surprise and was whipped out in only a day, most taken prisoner.

the dutch like it kinky! :D

Last edited:
Griffin.Gen said:
Well France did because he thought GB was overly expanding and France didnt get anything, I did cause i could grab some colonies and i was damn scared of Britain's colony.
Such a waste of time.

Britain purposely avoided the area of the New-Netherlands that you had openly claimed,also GB was merely taking native lands and converting it onto good christian land.France was too busy trying to wrestle back southern france from Aragon too keep up in the colonial race,not GBs fault who had eliminated all opposition in the British Isles.A firm platform was thus created and so i could more effectively colonise without withdrawing my army back to GB to fight rebels or wars.

Also France had by far the greatest colonial advantage ever with Vij player giving him Goa so that he had acess to new lands 100 years before we did.

jambojones said:
Britain purposely avoided the area of the New-Netherlands that you had openly claimed,also GB was merely taking native lands and converting it onto good christian land.France was too busy trying to wrestle back southern france from Aragon too keep up in the colonial race,not GBs fault who had eliminated all opposition in the British Isles.A firm platform was thus created and so i could more effectively colonise without withdrawing my army back to GB to fight rebels or wars.

Also France had by far the greatest colonial advantage ever with Vij player giving him Goa so that he had acess to new lands 100 years before we did.

im sorry but i fail to understand how you see scottish and irish as opposition :D

jambojones said:

We can't read your mind. I thank you that you didnt take any claimed lands.
I'm off the the East Indies now.

jambojones said:
The irish were easy but those scots were tough! :D

im usualy the other way around, the scots always run to the islands closing away from the rest. scotland can be easily killed within 2 years, the irish are usually harder to me ^^

Alright everyone since this session is cancel because 3.0 saves don't work with 3.1 (yeah yeah, we should have listened to Johan), there wont be any updates this week (well, shouldn't)
But don't worry, we should be able to play next week when we will all have 3.0 installed.