• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
comagoosie said:
Your longest living monarch is 32 years :eek:

Are you killing your monarchs? :confused: :D

lool, no, but we French are brave warriors, and an Emperor who doesn't lead his armies into battle does not deserve to be our Emperor, so they tend to die young. :p

Enewald said:
Boring. :D No big happenings.

Do you have bb in multiplayer? :confused:

There is no Bad Boy but after watching SEVERAL player nations expand too far and collapse, I have decided that "slow and steady" works fine for me.

Darknesskilla said:
There aren't any BB wars... BB is still in the game though
So it still affects trade and diplomacy?

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Brabant.svg.png

Chapter 1: The fight over the supremacy of The Netherlands
A Brabant/Dutch AAR
Part 5: The New-Netherlands and the Dutch Protestant Church
OOC: I’m terribly sorry about the lack of updates from the Glorious Duchy of Brabant, I’ve been sick all week since Saturday and the week before Sunday’s session, my game crashed. This is a big update with 19 pictures. Last thing, no map at the end of this update, I’m learning to make a more good-looking map.

The Protestant Reformation

In the year of our Lord, 1494, the Glorious Duchy of Brabant was to change, forever. It was the beginning of the Protestant Reformation. It started in 's-Hertogenbosch, the capital of the Glorious Duchy. A Dutch clergyman denounced the corruption of the Catholic Church with his 95 theses. The pope himself was going to excommunicate this man until news of the majority of 's-Hertogenbosch had actually converted to Protestantism. According to rumors of that time, it actually started with the Glorious Duke himself. Some of the rumors stated that the Royal Family of Brabant was the first to convert to Protestantism, but never admitted it to the public because, at that time, the Majority of the Population was still Catholic. Protestantism spread to Antwerp, the largest city in the Glorious Duchy, then it spread to Bruges, the second largest city. In only a decade, almost the entire Duchy became Protestant. The protestants started to riot, eventually rebelled. Since Protestantism was the major religion in Brabant, the Ducal Armies could not stop the rebellions for much long. Glorious Duke Antoine II knew that so he officially converted to Protestantism. He declared that Protestantism was now the official religion of Brabant. This marked the creation of the Dutch Protestant Church, which would eventually spread to three Great Powers. The Empire de France converted to Protestantism, the Serene Republic of Venice also converted and lastly, the Kingdom of Great-Britain converted. The Reformed church would eventually branch out in Brandenburg, our good ally in the Holy Roman Empire.

The last Bishop of Utrecht

DoWUtrecht.jpg

To arms men, today we march to Utrecht, to Victory!

On May 20th, 1512, The Bishopric of Utrecht, backed by the “Pope” of “Rome”, insulted the Glorious Duchy. It took two days and a little Declaration of War arrived to the Bishop of Utrecht, it was then that he discovered why there were Brabantian soldiers mounting a siege on Utrecht. It only took days until the Bishop agreed to become a vassal of the Glorious Duchy of Brabant.

vassalizeutrecht.jpg

Don’t ask why I didn’t annex, ok?

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?), the “Pope” of “Rome” was not ready to give up so easily. “Papal Armies” already reached Arnhem and were preparing a siege. The Ducal Army, Now numbering 25 000 soldiers, were advancing toward the Papal States (which, after the Serene Republic of Venice annexed Rome, moved to Münster). After a year of not-so fierce fighting, the Pope, after being occupied by Brabant for 6 months, decided that paying 55 ducats was maybe a good deal.
PeacePope.jpg

Took long enough, Pope!

regencyApril1514.jpg

The Spring Regency

Sadly, just another year after the end of the war, Antoine II, one of the greatest duke of the Glorious Duchy, passed away, leaving the (Regency Council) the throne. They would rule for 4 years, but they would be the most active Regency in the History of the Duchy. They called the Nederlands Westindische Compagnie or NWC or Dutch West-India Company that was create a couple of decades back. They were ordered to colonize the New-Netherlands before the Portuguese do. During the spring, a ship was sent, containing 100 colonists, to colonize the Island of Manhattan. The settlers, originating from Amsterdam, founded the Colony of New-Amsterdam. The Regency gave full financial aid to the Company and the settlement. It would grow quick as every year or so, another ship with another 100 colonists was sent to help the growth. The settles discovered from the Natives Tobacco, which could be smoked. The Company thought they could make some good money with Tobacco.

antipiracyact.jpg

Yaaar, the Anti-Piracy Act…Wait…

In 1527, the Regency passed the Anti-Piracy Act. For decades, the Coast of Holland was full of pirates since the Duchy had lost it’s Navy during the French-Aragonese War. This now act would assure that the Coast is empty of pirates and that the fishermen can fish in peace. It was the last thing to be done by the Spring Regency.

HenriIV.jpg

All hail Henri IV!

Sadly, when Henri took the throne, he had a serious illness. He fought strongly against his illness for a decade until passing away, without doing much for the Duchy.

Regency1523-1528.jpg

All hail Duke (Regency Council)!

The new (Regency Council) only lasted for 5 years, Henri’s son, Geoffroi the Fourth, took the throne at 18 years old.

GeoffroiIV.jpg

All hail Geoffroi IV… Can I go home now?

According to texts of that time, Geoffroi was blessed by god. He was a good Tactician, diplomat and administrator. He decided that he had to expand the colonies in the New-Netherlands.

NewAmsterdamCity.jpg

Yay, our first Colonial city!

In August, 1528, it was reported that New-Amsterdam had reached over a thousand settlers. It was also reported that the Natives there were assimilated and they accepted the Dutch Culture. The population of the Colonial City was now 3100. The colony then expanded South-West.

ColonizeUnami.jpg

The Colony of Nieuw-Breda

A settling ship arrived containing a hundred more settlers. They founded the colony of Nieuw-Breda. The Glorious Duke was happy, the second settlement in the New-Netherlands was founded. Again, the NWC was financially supported by the Duke. This settlement would get into more troubles than New-Amsterdam did. Natives were not so happy that the Dutch were settling on their lands. They attacked the settlement and killed about a hundred settlers. The Duke ordered the creation of a Colonial Army. The first Army of the Company was founded. It was only a regiment for now, but the Duke promised that it would grow when the colonies will grow. New-Amsterdam was fortified with walls in case of an attack.

AntwerpMonopoly.jpg

Antwerp Monopoly

The Company also monopolized the Antwerp Center of Trade. The Dutch now had a reputation of being very skilled Merchants. This helped the prestige of the Duchy and the reputation of it.

dissolutionMonasteries.jpg

Dissolution of Monasteries Act

Even if the Catholics had no powers anymore, there were still monasteries in the Netherlands. Geoffroi worsen the Dutch-Papal relations by ordering the dissolution of the monasteries. This didn’t help the Duchy’s stability, but it helped the taxes since they didn’t have to pay for the maintenance of the monasteries.

ColonizeFP.jpg

Nieuwhaven, the Dutch African Port

When France was able to reach India by going around the African continent, the Company suggested the Duke that they could colonize the Island of Fermando Po, as the Portuguese called it. It could be used as a resupply and repair port for ships going to India. This would boost the number of Ducats in the Ducal Coffers. The duke agreed. A year later, a settlement ship arrived at the Island. The Settlers named it Nieuwhaven, meaning New Port in English. Hopefully this would become an important African port for trading, exploration and colonization.

ColonialVentures.jpg

Oooh, oooh! I got an idea!

Even if the Colonies were growing, it wasn’t was enough. They needed more colonists! They decided that they needed to attract more people to move to the new lands. It worked greatly; the Company now was getting more and twice as much colonists per year.

UnamiCity.jpg

Our SECOND colonial city!

With this boost of colonists, Nieuw-Breda grew faster than New-Amsterdam. It eventually became the second colonial city of the Company. The population was now about 1020. The natives were eradicated when British adventurers burned the Native Village just days after the Dutch arrived (which lead the survivors to attack the colony).

ColonizeDelaware.jpg

Fort-Oranje, in the name of the House of Oranje

The Prince of Oranje, currently ruling over the Duchy of Holland, was now a close friend of the House of Leuven (The current ruling Royal House of Brabant, I can’t believe I never mentioned it). The current Duke of Holland decided to help the financing of the colonies. The settlers that arrived in Delaware, as the local natives called it, they founded Fort-Oranje. They hope that the numerous natives would help with the settlement and would not do like the natives in Nieuw-Breda. The only problem is that the colony of New-Netherlands bordered the Portuguese colony. This could lead to war over the control of this territory rich in Tobacco.

AnnexUtrecht.jpg

*Evil Laugh*

In January, 1541, the Bishop of Utrecht gave away his lands to the Duke of Brabant. Finally, the Region of the Netherlands was united except for the Bishopric of Liège (damn bishops!). The only thing is that they needed to wait for the world to recognize this and Geoffroi could become the first Glorious King of the Netherlands!
-Created and converted to Protestantism (I really liked the bonus ducats)
-Colonized New-Amsterdam (Manhattan)
-Colonized Nieuw-Breda (Unami)
-Colonized Fort-Oranje (Delaware)
-Colonized Nieuwhaven (Fermando Po)
-Standing army of now 25,000 Soldiers (20,000 Infantry, 5,000 Cavalry, no Artillery for now)
-Most advanced in Land, Naval and other techs. (We’re Dutch, afterall)
-Monopolized Antwerp (Again, we’re Dutch)

:D

I like that second Regency Council! :p

But when are you going to form the Netherlands?

No map of the glorious Brabant?

Also, how could you turn away from catholicism? I still don't see how it is worth it! I have said this a thousand times and it is likely that I will forever say this.

I think he was force-converted.

EUROO7 said:
I think he was force-converted.
Yup, but i switched back to catholism, and then the AI switched me back to pro.
I like the production bonus tho, also the tolerance levels are much difference

PetitBourgeois said:
It's all about the production bonuses.

You'll be able to form the Netherlands in what, 1591? By the way, I'm about a decade away from Italy. :)
Republic or monarchy?

Switch to Empire? :D

Then resurrect the old Roman Empire? :p

Imperial Decree (1542)

Imperial Decree of 1542
As Decreed by His Magnificence Emperor François I

With the colonial race still raging, His Magnificence Emperor François I Decrees that the following territories are in France's Sphere of Influence. Anyone who establishes colonies in these areas will have to answer to France...

frenchempirecirca1821hofx6.jpg

Dark Blue: Territory already part of the Glorious Empire
Red: Core: territories that will brought back into the Empire
Light Blue: Coloniial Ambitions

OOC: I know these claims are pretty huge, but that's my colonial objective (for 1821), and I will fight to achieve these goals... It's more like an in-character warning for "I want these lands, I'll fight you for them...

Last edited:
Chapter VIII: A Protestant Republic
1511-1542
flagofmostserenerepublive0.png

The Republic was now Protestant - though the years ahead were full of revolt, the change was made and we would soon prosper from it. Truly, it is a huge blow to Catholicism to see Italy becoming Protestant, particularly with both Rome and Venice no longer Catholic:

01_Conversion.gif

Our message was strong, and spread like wildfire through Venice.

After only 10 years (and one fruitless war with Switzerland), the Republic had become fully Protestant. With a finally united nation, we could turn our eyes toward the riches of colonization. The Empire of Mali had utterly collapsed, and in its place rose the Songhai Empire - a weak, decentralized state. There was no better time to strike, and in 1523 our army swept through the Empire. The Songhai were completely outmatched by Venetian weaponry and at the new year, 1525, the Songhai Empire was no more.

02_AfricaOccidentale.gif

The Venetian colony of Africa Occidentale in 1525. The annexation of Songhai is darkened.

The next decade would be spent building forts along the Niger river to cement Venetian control of the region. Though a large investment, the forts would secure our hold on the rich gold mines of West Africa - a huge opportunity for trade. Fortunately for the Republic, our main rival over the control of West Africa had just completely collapsed - all of Europe was dazed by the outcome:

03_BeforeandAfterCastilleCollapse.gif

The humiliating destruction of Castille (Before and after, 1530)

Colonization efforts in Africa Occidentale began earnestly. With no threat posed by another nation and the promise of immense wealth, the Republic provided direct financial support. The African natives resisted, and unfortunately many of them had to be killed - however, it was for the greater good of Venice; the way was paved for more Italians to come in the future. By 1540 our control over the Africans was solidified and colonists could soon be sent to settle the Gulf of Guinea.

Religion1542AAR.png

Europe1542AAR-1.png

Poland and Lithuania have been partitioned, Castille, Georgia and Novgorod are annexed/reduced to ashes.

Africa1542AAR.png

NewWorld1542AAR.gif

----------
Yes, this update was very short. (It was longer, but I had to rewrite it). Then again, most of the time I spent consolidating my territory. A lot will happen next session, assuredly. ;)

Darkness, everyone is so ambitious. :p

That includes me.

Last edited: