• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Griffin.Gen said:
Well we almost fixed the "players come too late" problem. I should have checked the source of my crash already, but i cant get on my gaming computer...

How about that we promise an ontime bonus for those players that come ontime? Like 50 Ducats? That might bring them there ontime.

Chapter VII: The League of Burgos
1497-1511
flagofmostserenerepublive0.png

It had been long enough since the War of the Holy League - the Republic was once again ready for war. In Central Italy, Tuscany was a prime target for unification. Decades ago, Tuscany had resisted our forces - now Tuscany would be our focus, even though they had other allies:

01_Third_Italian_War.gif

The Third Italian War, begun in the spring of 1499.

Tuscany was annexed in October, but the war in Northern Italy continued. Our army had suffered several humiliating defeats against Genoa and Switzerland, and so we signed a white peace with the remaining allies a few months later. The war was over, and it was enough just to finally subdue the resistant Tuscans.

For the next few years, the religious situation in Venice and in Europe was volatile. Just before the Third Italian War had started, John Calvin published The Institutes of the Christian Religion, founding a new Reformed theology. At the end of the war, Calvinists from Switzerland began preaching in Venice, converting the majority of Ancona, Ferra, Verona, and, due to a surprisingly strong Greek movement, Athens as well.

Though we remained sympathetic to both the Lutherans and the Calvinists, Castille has been at the head of the Counter-Reformation, hosting the Council of Burgos:

02_CounterReform.gif

Because of this, the Republic had to tread carefully - any wrong step could spell our destruction. Fortunately, only a few months before the Council, a brilliant man was elected Doge:

03_Vittore_Contarini.gif

With this man at the head of the Republic, we would be able to survive anything. However, unbeknown to us at the time, Burgos also served as a meeting for the reformation of the Holy League:

04_LeagueBurgos.gif

The League of Burgos eventually expanded to include not only Christian nations, but also a coalition of Muslim states as well. Faced with this threat, we were forced to concede defeat in numerous places. Greece was obviously lost - the Byzantines quickly swept through - and essentially the rest of Italy was united against the Republic. Vittore Contarini led an army that stopped the Austrian advance at Friuli, giving us a small chance. Our main area of concern became the other Italian states, for Castille had made no attempt on West Africa (most likely due to Berber revolts).

Quickly, though, it became apparent that even with the blessing of Contarini, we could not win the war in Italy. We were forced to cede Nice to Savoy, Parma to Genoa, and Salonica to the Byzantine Empire. The Christian nations were out of the war, and the Muslims had no chance of invasion due to our superior fleet. The Muslims soon recognized this and in 1506 the war was finally over.

We feared that another coalition would soon be formed, and our lack of any ally had now become painfully apparent. We looked to the Calvinist state of Brandenburg as a potential ally -they had been our allies before, but the alliance broke down before the War of the League of Burgos. Having such an ally would simply necessitate a break with Catholicism, and King Friedrich Wilhelm II was receptive to our offer. The alliance was renewed and we denounced the Papacy in 1508.

05_Protestant.gif

We fear no retribution from the Catholics, for the Reformation has torn Europe asunder - everything is different now.

Religion1511AAR.png

Europe1511AARFixed.png

NewWorld1511AAR.gif

Oh, and to show why I haven't ever mentioned the Doges (most of these are deaths):
Code:
[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=2]I.     1399-1403 Antonio Veniero
II.    1403-1407 Sebastiano Labia
III.   1407-1409 Mose Chiogga
IV.    1409-1413 Luigi Grimani
V.     1413-1420 Leonardo Garda
VI.    1420-1421 Vittore Barilla
VII.   1421-1425 Antonio Barbarigo
IX.    1425-1429 Mose Chiogga
X.     1429-1441 Andrea Valieri
XI.    1441-1445 Vitale Rovereto
XII.   1445-1447 Fabrizio Donato
XIII.  1447-1451 Girolamo Moceningo
XIV.   1451-1453 Vittore Riva
XV.    1453-1457 Luigi Toscani
XVI.   1457-1461 Carlo de Blazio
XVII.  1461-1465 Lorenzo Veniero
XVIII. 1465-1468 Teodoro Emo
XIX.   1468-1476 Andrea Loredan
XX.    1476-1478 Cristoforo Barbarigo
XXI.   1478-1482 Tomasso Foscolo
XXII.  1482-1484 Silvestro Magno
XXIII. 1484-1488 Luigi Mestre
XXIV.  1488-1492 Luigi Toscani
XXV.   1492-1496 Lorenzo Chiogga
XXVI.  1496-1498 Leonardo San Paulo
XXVII. 1498-1502 Marino Cassandro
XXIX.  1502-     Vittore Contarini[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Chronicles of France Chapter 6

imperialfrancegm1.jpg

Chronicles of France​

Chapter 6: The Protestant Empire

Amongst the turmoil of the War of the Aragonese Coalition, a great schism with the holy catholic church was brewing:the Reformation. A seemigly small movement at first, the Brabantians (originators of the Reformation and Protestantism) unleashed and uncontrollable force, one which would forever change the course of French history forever...

reformationstage1dl0.png

The movement started small, affecting only select, isolated areas of France. The mouvement could have been easily suppressed had the Emperor only invested, even a small amount, into converting them back to the True Faith. But Xavier I, who had been excommunicated 6 years ago by the pope, and his predecessor, Nicolas Henri I, who was also excommunicated, left the French ruler no sympathy for the Papacy's plight. Instead, France became a safe haven for Protestants across the continent. The new religion flourished and spread quickly More people converted. Soon, some Catholics, fed up with the Emperor's so called "Heresy" rose up in Central France. They were annihilated. The Emperor would have none of it. The Pope had never been there for the French people, why should they be there for him ?

reformationstage2ir4.png

The "heresy" spread, along, to a much lesser extent, with Reformists, a milder form of Protestantism. The spread of Protestantism and Reformists in France severely strained it's already bad relations with the Papacy to a breaking point. The Pope threatened the Emperor with "eternal damnation" and that his soul would "rot in hell". But Xavier I, now himself a devout Protestant, disregarded these threats. On December 24th 1504, Xavier I officially made Protestantism the only official religion in the Empire. By then the movement had greatly spread and quelling Catholic revolts became increadingly easy.

converttoprotestantismeo2.png

reformationstage3kj9.png

The switch to Protestantism initiated a raprochement between the King of Great Britain and the Emperor of France. Soon, the two became very good friends. In 1505, both monarchs signed the Treaty of Calais, sealing an alliance between the two (once enemy) kingdoms. To prevent another disaster like the War of the Aragonese Coalition, Xavier I launched a massive build-up of armed forces. The French Imperial Army grew from a measily 12 000 troops to an army of 36 000 by late 1506. By Easter 1507, the French Imperial Army was composed of 48 000 men, divided into legions of 12 000. The Empire still had problems at home, yet stood poised to strike at Aragon...

I still don't see the logic in converting to a new religion. I have played this game a thousand time and I have always kept my catholism. Being the pope is so good, who wouldn't want to be that?

comagoosie said:
I still don't see the logic in converting to a new religion. I have played this game a thousand time and I have always kept my catholism. Being the pope is so good, who wouldn't want to be that?
I like the Protestant bonus.
I wanted to be a tolerent nation like the Dutch are, catholism doesnt allow me to do that.
I didn't convert, I wasn't there when it happened.
I like that now 4 players are now Dutch Protestants :D

Griffin.Gen said:
I like the Protestant bonus.
I wanted to be a tolerent nation like the Dutch are, catholism doesnt allow me to do that.
I didn't convert, I wasn't there when it happened.
I like that now 4 players are now Dutch Protestants :D

Or you don't want to be harrased by Prot/Refo zealots :D I have an huge experience dealing with them so i will become the defender of catholism....well not really as Austria is the defender of the faith if i remember correctly.

Meh, it was easier to deal with the protestants by conversion. I wanted to stay Catholic, but I was so busy with war Protestantism spread so much that I had more Protestant provinces that Catholic, so I switched... plus Protestants are pretty tolerant...

Chronicles of the Saxon People​
1511-1541: Securing Borders

Chronicler Jorgen Grobbel
1511:
Following the massive reformation both in religion and government that hit our people in the previous decade, Our king seeks to bring stability back to our realm. His attempts to suppress the rebels and, all in all, make our nation a stronger place before looking to go outside our glorious nation.

1513:
While still dealing with internal strife, Prince Hans Hardenberg of Denmark outrageously broke our alliance. The Danes, although not a threat, could make it harder to keep our borders secure. We cannot focus on the seas, north and internal peasants at the same time...our resources are spread too thin.

1514-1515:
Our King was able to improve relations and obtained an Alliance with King Christian I of Anhalt, an old ally that, at one time, was our vassal. It is our hope that they will once again allow us to protect their nation.
EU3_69.jpg

War unfortunately broke out. Triol, our ally to the south, called for our support against a mighty coalition of Austria, Byzantium, Burgundy, The Palatine, and other minor provinces. In the end, we were forced to end the vassalization of both the Prussian Pretenders and Thurungia, a duchy under us since the early 1400s. According to our records, this was the first war in which our troops were unable to reach at least a white peace.
EU3_70.jpg

1517:
After two years of peace, our King determined that it was time to annex the Pretender Prussians. Trier, Cologne, and Switzerland came to the aid of the Prussians but they were unsuccesful. Within one month, we were able to annex the Prussian Pretenders. However, because our King had been friends with the Duke of Osterprussen, he was put in the Kings court. Cologne was the next to fall, as they quickly sued for peace offering our King the province of Westfallen and 6 ducats. Though the money was laughable, our king accepted--our nation is slowly growing.

EU3_71.jpg

*OOC*--At this point my game crashed and the others continued for 10 years (1527)(I was still at war with some others, so I will recount the best I can).

1515-1524:
Nine years of peace hit our nation. Our king has sent several missionaries in order to further strengthen our core as a nation. Protestants and Catholics, though tolerated, are being shown the true faith.
Along with Religious matters, our king began to construct a greater navy and recruit more troops for a great campaign. His plan: to wipe out Poland who has been at our East building troops for years and steal the trade center in Lubeck from Mecklemburg.
In 1523, our King's military fought successfully against the Polish acquiring Kalisz and Poznan in the process. With his attention turned from the East, our king faces the West---Mecklenburg is next.

1525:
Unfortunately, our King would not see his campagin in completed. Jobst I, the Kings only male heir, took the throne and vowed to uphold his fathers will--take Lubek from Mecklenburg!

1527-1528:
King Jobst I declared war on Mecklenburg, though our nation was exhausted from war and religious rebels had been causing uprisings in the old-Danish provinces. With a mighty coalition of forces, Jobst was able to take the province of Mecklenburg and 250 ducats to pay for the war. Although I believe our King could have taken more, rebels made it impossible for the war to continue.
EU3_73.jpg

1529:
Venice, our Protestant Ally, has gratefully sent troops to help secure our nation from rebels. Venice, and their Doge's, have helped our nation through times of trouble--one day we will return the favor.

1530:
During the restabilizing of our nation, several of our nations architects went to our court to discuss possible developments to improve our nation. Though Our King is not as big on the arts as previous kings were, Jobst I agrees that something should be done to regain the prestige our great nation once had; we must be viewed with better eyes from our neighbors to perhaps once again reclaim our dominance in Central Europe.
EU3_74.jpg

1533:
In order to further keep our nation stable and keep our ever expanding Kingdom under control, our King opted to appoint superintendents to the nations. Traditionally, similar roles were appointed by the Bishops and thus were directly related with the old Catholic church. However, our King feels that by appointing them himself, they will be more loyal to the throne.

1536:
After 25 years, I accompanied the King and his party to the Danish Kingdom to the north. After meeting with Prince Adolf Sahlentz, our King was able to draw up a treaty between our two nations. Other than the standard "we will aide you in times of trouble", our King graciously acknowledge their sovereignty and stated that the interest of the Brandenburg Kingdom is in Central Europe, not Scandinavia.
EU3_75.jpg

1538:
I have chosen to accompany my King as he goes East to suppress Polish Nationalists in Poznan. With 32000 men, we march to secure the old-Polish provinces who still consider themselves to be part of the Kingdom of Poland.

1539:
Our King is dead and his son is but a young boy. The heads of each army meet to form the Regency Council. On our way back to Brandenburg, Johan Freidrick, Adolf Grun, and Maximilian Deitrich asked if I would join them on the Council, as they feel that I, having spent years with the King, would know best about what he would've wanted for our nation. It is true, that I knew of plans Jobst I had to once again assault Mecklenburg, but as a mere Council, we know that we cannot rally the troops to openly declare war. We must wait for the King's rightful heir to become king. I only hope he is a better diplomat than our previous king.

1541:
Although we cannot declare war, Adolf Grun ordered our troops to help Doge Carlo Priuli of Venice against the Muslim forces in the Ottoman Empire. However, before our troops could reach the Mediterranean, Venice, after annexing Mali, declared a White Peace with the Ottoman Empire. Perhaps it is for the best that our troops did not engage the Ottomans, as we have heard great things about their military. Without our King to rally them, how could we take on such a force?
EU3_76.jpg

Chronicles of France - Appendix

Chronicles of France - Monarchs

Monarchs of the Kingdom of France

-Charles VI (1380-1402):
Recovered the Aquitaine
-Louis XI (1405-1437): Annexed Vassals of Auvergne, Orléanais and Bourbonnais
-Louis XII (1437-1442): Instituted the Despotic Monarchy
-Jaques I (1446-1465): Last King of France

Monarchs of the French Empire

-Jaques I (1446-1465): First Emperor of France, created the Drapeau Impérial
-Nicolas Henri I (1465-1490): Founded the East Indian Trading Company
-Xavier I (1490-1518): Converted France to Protestantism, spread Protestantism to the French people
-Henri II (1518-1541): Passed the Anti-Piracy Act
-François I (1541-1548):: Recaptured most of Southern France
-Henri III (1553-1558): Fought in the War of the League of Maastricht
-Louis XIII (1558-1585): Expanded into India, annexed Lorraine and vassalised Burgundy
-Henri IV (1585-1611): Fought back Aragon, Purchased Metz
-Charles VII (1611-1640): Expanded French India
-Henri V (1640-1645): His deeds are lost to history
-Jean II (1645-XXX): Conquered Arabia, further expanded French India, declared that he was, in fact, the State

Longest Ruling Monarchs (Top 3):

1. Louis XI (Ruled for 32 years)
2. Charles VII(Ruled for 29 years)
3. Xavier I (Ruled for 28 years)

Greatest Monarchs (Top 3):

1. Jean II for finally giving France a colonial empire and for declaring that he was, in fact, the state
2. Xavier I for converting France to Protestantism and leading it through Reformation
3. Louis XIII for fulfilling the Empire's 200 year old ambition: the unification of France

Last edited:
At the time, Austria was a player.
Also, It wasn't so much a beating by the Byzantines as it was me wanting to get out of War because of rebels and what not. It was frustrating, but it actually turned out ok.