• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2nd Treaty of Paris

Second Treaty of Paris
signed in the year 1448 of our lord

I, King Louis VIII, confirm King Charles VI's guarantee on Brabant's sovereignty and independence and pledge to help the Duchy of Brabant in case of war. I also hereby re-acknowledge Brabant's claims on the territories of "the Netherlands" and will help them prosecute their claims to their fullest.

In exchange for this, the Duchy of Brabant pledges to support France's military campaigns however it sees fit.

I, King Louis VIII, proclaim a guarantee on Venice's sovereignty and independence and pledge to help the Republic of Venice in case of war. I also hereby acknowledge Venice's claims on the territories of "Italy" and will help them prosecute their claims to their fullest.

In exchange for this, the Republic of Venice pledges to support France's military campaigns however it sees fit.

Note: The ruler of France has the power of veto and may backdown from his obligations as detailed in this treaty if this conflicts with other alliance or other treaties, prior or after the signing of this treaty. The Duchy of Brabant and the Republic of Venice detain similar powers.

France: Signs
Brabant: Signs
Venice: Signs

Last edited:
Treaty of Cambray (1453)

Treaty of Cambray
signed in the year 1453 of our Lord

King Louis VIII of France, and the King Justin I, King of Burgundy, agree to peace along the following terms:
- The territory of Cambray is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Kingdom of France, now and forever.
- The territory of Picardie is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Kingdom of France, now and forever.
- The territory of the Valenciennes is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Kingdom of France, now and forever.
- The territory of Vlaanderen is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Duchy of Brabant, now and forever.

eu36nd2.png

Burgundy, after the Treaty of Cambray

France: (Signs)
Brabant: (Signs)
Burgundy:(Signs)

Chronicles of France Chapter 4

blasonfleurdelysll1.jpg

Chronicles of France​

Chapter 4: Burgundian Wars

After the Civil War, King Louis VIII focused on regaining the lands France had lost. First, he bought back Armagnac from England. His focus then shifted to Toulouse. The self-proclaimed Duchy had seceded from France in 1417 in the aftermath of the Civil War. Since those territories had always been an integral part of France, the King had no problems rallying the French populace under the Fleur de Lys. With a swift invasion came a swift victory and Toulouse was forced to bow down to French terms. France secured Limousin and Périgord. In 1448, Brabantian and Veneician diplomats met, a ratified the Second Treaty of Paris Over the next few years, Louis VIII would plot an extensive plan for invading Burgundy and reclaim the French territories in the region. In 1451, war was declared on Burgundy.

eu34qj0.png

French invasion of Burgundy, circa 1451

Over the next two years, France would capture the province of Artois, Picardie, Cambray and the Valenciennes. These gains were thereafter confirmed with the Treaty of Cambray . 4 years later, France once again invaded Toulouse, dragging Burgundy into war with them once again. And, once again, swift victories brought a swift peace, resulting in the Treaty of Barrois in 1458. This time, France and Brabant humiliated Burgundy, and annexed all it's notrthern territories. Burgundy, was finnished...

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Brabant.svg.png

Chapter 1: The fight over the supremacy of The Netherlands
A Brabant/Dutch AAR
Part 3: Two Monarchs and Two Wars.

Philippe I of Brabant

PhilippeI.jpg

Not much is known about Philippe’s early years on the throne. Historians agreed that it was almost like a Civil War. When Philippe became the Duke of Brabant, a pretender arrived, under the name of Frederick, the Prince of Hessen, and said that the throne was his. Philippe was not ready to give up his birthright. Sadly, the Duchy of Luxembourg and Gelre recognized Frederick as the Duke of Brabant. The Count of Zeeland, the Count of Antwerp and the Duke of Friesland recognized Philippe. Philippe declared war on Hessen, Gelre and Luxembourg. Brabant’s technological superiority proved unmatched against the rebellious dukes and the Hessians. Gelre and Luxembourg was swiftly annexed and Hessen ceded the County of Berg, only to be sold to the Brandenburgers, which was the rising Kingdom in Germany. Brabant would later ally Brandenburg.

alliance-brandenburg.jpg

The First Partition of Burgundy

On December 1st, 1452, a messenger from France arrived at the Ducal Palace with the following message:

Le Roi de France said:
Le Royaume de France se prepare à envahir le Duché de Bourgogne. Le Roi vous assure que si vous le joignez , Les Contés de Vlaanderen et Hainault seront le votre.
Translated : The King of France is preparing to invade the Duchy of Burgundy. The king assures that if you join him, you will get the Counties of Vlaanderen and Hainault.

This was the perfect opportunity to kick the Burgundians out of the Netherlands once and for all! The duke prepared his troops. The army was doubled in size. The Koninklijke Leger were now at 10,000 trained men and the Jägers van Brussels were now at 4,000 heavily skilled hunters ready for war. The armies were moved to the border, with the Royal Army led by the Duke himself.

pre-warntherlands.jpg

The plan was simple; the Royal Army was to move to Bruges, a very rich city. Since it was very important, the Burgundians would probably counter-attack there. French Spies located the Burgundian Army in Picardie; it was only about 4,000 strong. A fast and effective Blitzkrieg into Burgundian territory would easily defeat the unprepared enemy. In early 1453, France and Brabant declared war on Burgundy.

invasionofburgundy.jpg

The Dutch Armies moved immediately. In only a week, Bruges and Mons we’re both under siege. Bruges would fall after 60 days, while Mons would take until the rest of the Army came to help. The king decided to help the French with the sieges. The problem is that His army would be commanded by the French Generals while helping them. The idiotic French generals ordered an Assault the very first day they arrived, resulting in heavy casualties, while Dutch Strategists waited until a breach was made in the fortifications. The Duke received news; the Fort of Luxembourg was under siege. Only a regiment of Burgundians were there. The duke decided to take the Royal Army with him and personally break the siege. This might have been a bad idea...

aftermathbattleluxembourg.jpg

When the Royal Army arrived in Luxembourg, the Burgundian ambushed the Ducal Armies, killing the duke himself when he received a bolt in his chest. This, in fact, did not destroy the soldier’s morale, but it became ever stronger. The Ducal armies wanted to avenge the dead king. All the Burgundian Soldiers were killed. Antoine I became the Duke of Brabant. After a couple of months of attrition and conquest, Burgundy surrendered, giving the Count of Vlaanderen to the Duke. The duke was only missing Hainault from the Burgundians, which came sooner than he thought it would be.

The Second Partition of Burgundy

invasiontoulouseandburgundy.jpg

France declared war on the rebellious duchy of Toulouse, which gained independence in the French Civil War. Since Burgundy was protecting Toulouse’s independence, he was forced to declare war on France, Brabant, and their allies. The Second War of the partition of Burgundy began. Dutch soldiers quickly Blitzkrieg-ed again into Hainault. Easily capturing Mons since its Garrison had not yet recovered from the First Invasion. After a couple of months, Burgundy surrendered. Toulouse was annexed by France while the County of Hainault was in the hands of the Dutch. Only the County of Holland was in the hands of foreign domination. There was only one problem, the two wars drained the Manpower of the Duchy, and the Duchy had lost his stability it once had. Brabant gained half of its income that it had before the wars. The wars cost about 6,000 lives, including Duke Philippe I. The Duke’s advisors predicted that it would take a decade to recover the stability and its income.

New World?!

While Antoine was working, he received a message from a spy that was in England. England had in fact discovered a New-World. That New-World contained riches like Beaver furs, which was almost extinct in Europe. This was the perfect opportunity for Brabant to become rich and regain its stability. It could become a Major Power in Europe if they we’re able to get a piece of this “New-World”.

The Netherlands in the Year of our lord 1458

thenetherlands1458.jpg

-Gained Vlaanderen and Hainault.
-The duchy tripled in size in about 60 years.
-Government Tech 8, going 9 in early 1459.
-Burgundy kicked out of the Netherlands and reduced to a One Province Minor (OPM).
Current Mission: Conquer Liège

Hmm...

Valenciennes should have been yours. Declare war on France!!! :p

And then, defeat the islanders and take their new world!! :D

Darknesskilla said:
Well done Griffin ! But what's this I hear about this "New World" you speak of ? :rofl: :rofl:
I trust my spies (by spy i mean Shift+F12 :p)
The English secretely colonize an Island west of Ireland. They named it Newfoundland i beleive.

comagoosie said:
I see that authors love to talk about the greatness of their country.

*points to the map that says "The Glorious Duchy of Brabant"*
ALL my maps said the Glorious Duchy of Brabant XD
I gotta find one for the Netherlands...

Didaa said:
Just a question, is a nation idea to form Netherlands?? France and Brabant are kicking some asses ;)
Its a nationnal DECISION to form the Netherlands, i need Utrecht, Holland and Friesland.

Bah, Newfoundland...what a silly name. "Hey, [insert English explorer here] we FOUND this LAND that's NEW...what should we call it?"

GnlKnox said:
Bah, Newfoundland...what a silly name. "Hey, [insert English explorer here] we FOUND this LAND that's NEW...what should we call it?"
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia

Chapter III: The Neapolitan War
1430-1442
flagofmostserenerepublive0.png

For a long time we Venetians have had strained relations with the Papacy - the situation was only worsened by the war. However, this was not necessarily a bad thing, as controlling the imperium of Italy would require the annexation of Papal territories. To prepare for this eventual annexation we took a dangerous step and enacted a law restraining appeals to the Pope concerning religious and legal matters. The final effects of this decision remain to be seen, but such a break from Catholic tradition is sure to worsen our relations with devout Catholic nations.

With the politics taken care of, the war proceeded quickly. On April 12, 1430, Romagna fell to Venetian forces and a peace was signed only days later. The Papal States ceded the nominal control of Romagna that they had to the Republic.

01_Papal_War.gif

An overview of the war.

As the war drew to a close we received many reports of rebellions - it seemed that a period of consolidation would be required. Berbers attacked our forts in Ifni as heathens from Anatolia swarmed into Bursa and Greek patriots rebelled againt their liberation from the Ottomans. Castilian forces gratefully dealt with the Berbers and we set about dealing with the numerous revolts.

02_Revolts.gif

Only a sample of the revolts that broke out.

However, it seems that the Republic was not meant for peace, for 3 years after the Papal war had ended we were thrown into a large conflict. Caused by the determination of succession for the Duchy of Naxos, the succession crisis between the Visconti and the Habsburgs brought in Bohemia and Aquileia for the Visconti and the Republic for the Habsburgs. To quickly resolve the conflict, all our allied forces were brought down into Lombardia to crush the Milanese armies quickly - though leaving all of Austria unguarded to Bohemian occupation.

03_Major_Battles.gif

The Battles of Lienz and Lombardia, both decisive victories won by Andrea Valieri.

Before we could sweep through Lombardia we had to deal with Aquileian troops on our borders; they were quickly crushed and our army moved into Lombardia. Austrian forces were already fighting, and were on the verge of routing when our reinforcements came. Under the command of Doge Andrea Valieri, the Milanese were quickly defeated. With the country fully occupied, a peace was soon signed in May, 1434. Austria received all of Milan's eastern territories and the Republic received the territory of Verona.

04_Missions.gif

The natural state of Venice seems to be expansion.

After the nearly disastrous succession war was over, we finally had an opportunity to consolidate. Granted, it was a short period of no more than 5 years, but it was an important respite for the Republic. Soon, though, our populace grew restless, and we decided on an expansion of our coastal Adriatic holdings. Contrary to the predicted foe, however, we chose to invade Naples - though controlling the ports on the Hungarian coast would cut down piracy, Naples was a more valuable trading asset.

05_NeapolitanWar.png

This war, an uphill campaign, had begun.

In preparation for the war we had gathered a token force north of Venice, which would hold off whatever pitiful attacks the weakened Aquileia could mount. Our main force, however, gathered in Calabria and met the largest Neapolitan army in battle at Naples itself. Though easily won even with equal numbers, Doge Valieri suffered a substantial injury - a bad portent when chasing armies and assaulting fortresses. Fortunately, with Neapolitan resistance shattered by their disastrous defeat, the war continued quickly albeit slowed by slow sieges. Soon enough, though, nearly all of Naples had fallen to Venetian hands - but it seemed that fate had caught up to our Doge, who suffered a sudden death during the assault of the last Neapolitan fortress.

He was succeeded in the first days of 1441 by a man who was just as, if not more intelligent than Valieri but had misguided directions.

07_Vitale_Rovereto.gif

He is more concerned with experimental rather then practical warfare. [I.e., a total disappointment]

Fortunately, the war would not be left to him, for it was already won. A peace was signed less than a month later granting the Republic all Neapolitan territories excluding Naples itself as well as the coast of Ferrara from Austria [granted at a later date] in return for our aid to the northern front.

08_Expansion_Naples.gif

The Neapolitan War did more than increase our Adriatic holdings - it established the Republic of Venice as a true power.

Religion1442AAR.gif

Religion in Europe - it seems that the Orthodox world is stabilizing, if shrunken.

Europe1442AAR.gif

Europe in 1442. Hungary has grown strong off of minor Balkan states and England has continued aggressive expansion on the British Isles.

-----

Hey, please excuse the lack of AAR up till now - I just haven't had the time. I'm optimistic that the next session's AAR will be finished tomorrow, too.

Last edited: