• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
PetitBourgeois said:
Well of course :rolleyes:
The Venetians were the ones who damned the Byzantines.

What do you mean?
Well the Balkans are quite poor according to everyone.... so i thought that once you expel the ottomans from Europe, you could create like a buffer zone against future incursions from the East if anyone there got big enough. BY zone I mean vassal who would bear the brunt of any incursions from the East and help you kick some ass in Italy.
Basaically I believe you should keep any catholic provinces and make a balkan vassal to give the orthodox ones..

PetitBourgeois said:
Well that is a good suggestion, since I certainly don't want any of those balkan provinces, only the greek ones.

That might be a long term goal, to create a Balkan vassal state.
Create a Vassalized Greece, that would be awesome.

The Indian Jewel

A VijayanagAAR

(OOC: I would like to thank all the people who read my first AAR installment and offered positive feedback, esp. Griffin.Gen, TheMonkeyMon, PetitBourgeois and ComradeOm. This installment is shorter than the last, but I hope you all enjoy it!)

Part Three: The Great Northern War: 1430-1442

Following the completion of his southern campaigns, the King wasted no time in preparing to expand northward. He knew that not only were the richest and most valuable lands to be found in the north, but many of the rulers there were heathens, and were not loved by their populace.​

The King called his courtiers in, and bade them to display the map of the realm:

For several hours the King did little but stare at the masterpiece, while the courtiers dared not move lest they displease the King.

Finally, the King, unknowingly emulating his grandfather, picked up a brush, and dipping it in the ink, began to draw on the map, ignoring the gasps of the artisans who had spent weeks painting it. When he was finished, he turned to his courtiers, and commanded them to look at his strategy:

“My friends, as you all know, a series of scrolls were created by my grandfather. On them he detailed his plan for the unification of our great country. He saw fit to plan our course far in advance, and commanded his descendants to follow in his footsteps.”

"I have read the scroll that carried the condition requiring the conquest of the south, and I have formulated my strategy with this guide. Please, listen to me, my friends, and I will lead us to victory!”

“We have celebrated the complete subjugation of the southern Princedoms, but the real challenge is to come. The heathen Sheikhs command vast territory in the north, and we must destroy them. I am well aware that they have banded together to help each other survive. But I tell you now that their false Gods will not save them! They cannot, and will not weather the coming storm!"

“They often fight among themselves, the swine that they are, and it is during one of these squabbles that we must strike! We will bleed them white, one minor ruler at a time. We will crush the weaker rulers, and when the time comes, we will take the fight to the stronger!”

The King could see the inspiration on the faces of those close to him. Seizing the opportunity, he shouted “We set out for the border of Orissa at dawn!”, and strode out of his throne room, to thunderous cheering.

Several weeks later, in 1434, the King crossed the border of Orissa with his army. The Orissans, recently having concluded a war with their much larger neighbor, Deccan, were no match for the King’s forces, and quickly succumbed in 1436.

Jubilant at the success of his invasion, the King made quick plans for the invasion of Deccan in 1438, seeing that they were embroiled in a war against another large Sheikhdom to the north. The King anticipated another easy victory. He was unaware that he was about to start the largest war in the history of Vijayanagar.

Although larger, more significant conflicts followed during the course of Vijayanagar’s future history, the war that commenced following the King’s invasion of Deccan would be known forever in history texts as the Great Northern War.

Entering Deccan, with morale high, the King quickly began to siege the Deccan capital. The next day, his camp sentries saw three horsemen approaching at great speed. The men looked ragged, one had an arrow lodged in his shoulder, and the eyes of the horses were rolling, their mouths foaming.

The men dismounted and collapsed before the King. Their messages chilled the King’s blood. He had anticipated the other Sheikhs to be too busy fighting each other further north to respond to his invasion of Deccan. He had thought wrong.

Reacting quickly, the King demanded that his vassals mobilize their armies. The Ceylonese did so rapidly, and landed a force at Goa to siege the Khandeshi troops garrisoning the city.

Realizing that four of the most powerful Sheikhs in northern India were allied against him, the King knew that speed was of the essence.

The King moved quickly to occupy all of Deccan. Once this was done, he moved his army north, taking the fight to the Khandeshi homeland. Many smaller battles ensued, however his opponent, the Grand General of Khandesh, was as wily and crafty a fighter as the King was (OOC: 3-5-2-2 :O), and of the three major battles fought, all ended in defeat for the King’s forces.

However, the King was careful to avoid this army, and instead decided to use his superior resources to crush Khandesh slowly. He began by decisively defeating a Gujarati force north of the Khandeshi capital, forcing the Gujarat Sheikh to sign a white peace.

The King then appeased the Sheikh of Delhi, perhaps the only ruler in India who could truly be considered a threat, with a small sum of money to ensure that he could not come to the aid of Khandesh.

The fighting continued for several years with no respite, and the King was becoming worried. The Vijayanagari populace was tired of this war, and the danger of a commoner revolt was rising. (OOC: By now, I had a WE of 10.25!!!!).

The King had a conference with his most trusted advisors, and decided that the war with Khandesh had to end. Sending out messengers, he received the surrender of Deccan, and the terms of the treaty with Khandesh in 1442.

Although the less-than-favourable outcome of the war left a sour taste in the King’s mouth, he knew that it had not been a total loss. Deccan and Orissa had been subjugated, Khandesh had been crippled, and perhaps most importantly, the Vijayanagari port of Goa, lost to Khandesh in his grandfather’s time, had been restored to the Kingdom.

He also realized the effect that these victories would have on the Vijayanagari populace, after they had recovered from the war – the Kingdom, and through it, the King – had triumphed against the heathen Sheikhs to the north and expanded the Kingdom’s borders. The King was sure that in following wars, the populace would show their enthusiasm more openly…. Either by themselves or with the prodding of a soldier’s spear.

The King journeyed to Goa, and had a monument to the First King erected. It was there that he experienced the same vision that had attacked the First King. Only this time, he saw the future of Goa. He saw technological wonders he could not describe. He saw strange, light-coloured men speaking in strange tongues. He saw massive, disease-ridden ocean vessels entering its port, and above all he saw the black-robed men, looking out over the city’s denizens with fire in their eyes as they erected a cross made of wood on the highest point of the city.​

The King did not know what to make of this vision, but he knew that the future held great things for Goa, and through it, Vijayanagar.

Returning to his capital, the King had another map painted by his artisans, over which he laid the now expanded borders of Vijayanagar:

Content at his territorial gains, and buoyed by the fact that Vijayanagar had stood up to the northern Sheikhs and triumphed, the King knew that tomorrow he would have to begin laying new plans for further expansion northward. But tonight, he retired to his quarters, calling for his courtesans to follow him.​

(OOC: Hope you are all still enjoying it. Come back next week for more! :D ~1,200 words)​

Last edited:
I am in the midst of a game with much the same goals as yours. Firstly I decided to unite all Hindus into one nation. Then I decided to expand Hinduism. I did this through Tibet, alot of the Timurids and now I am attempting the incorparation of Indochina into my Empire, and taking steps to colonise Indonesia.
What I am saying is that playing as an Indian nation, you have so many paths you can take that it you will severly enjoy yourself. Mind you, it looks like you've already been having fun :rolleyes:
Keep it up!

-out of character-
I didn't play in this weeks sessions but did take the time to look at what happened to the glorious nation of Brandenburg. The following is what has been assumed happened between the years 1430 and 1442.
-In character-

Chronicles of the Saxon People
1430-1442: A King's Declaration​

Fourteen Hundred Thirty-One:
Our glorious king has decided that chroniclers do not put forth the facts at how our nation is run, but rather a dishonorable view about how the nation should be run. Under this belief, King Fredrich Wilhelm the first has put an end to our profession, outlawing it in the kingdom of Brandenburg. I, along with some of my pupils, have decided to continue our writings in secret. However, because of this, I fear that we will not be able to devote our time to the craft.

Fourteen Hundred Thirty-Two to Fourteen Hundred Thirty-Four:
My pupils and I took refuge on the Polish/Saxon border, though due to the war between Poland and Bohemia, our safety had been compromised. King Fredrich Wilhelm I united our two armies and marched 17,000 troops to the Bohemian border in order to secure our own boundaries.
In addition to these events, the King of Brandenburg (certainly not the king of the people) arranged the annexation of Hinterpommern, thus completing God's task to gain access to the sea. According to "our" King, God has willed the Saxon people to conquer Selisia. Though this would be a prestigious move, I fear he is not doing what our past kings would have wanted.

Fourteen Hundred Thirty-Five to Fourteen Hundred Thirty Eight:
Perhaps in response to the annexation of Hinterpommern and perhaps in response to some of the outrageous declarations our king has made, Ernst the First of Anhalt, Balthasar the Second of Meissen, and Friedrich Christian the First of Saxony all backed out of their alliances they had made with King Albrecht IV Achilles. However, due to diplomatic envoys (more likely threats) sent by King Fredrich Wilhelm I, our relations remained positive.
During this period of opulence, Esben Schlentz and Immanuel von Wrangel, two Naval Rear Admirals, were hired to watch over the construction of a Saxon Navy. While only two transport ships had been made, it was a start to gain power over the sea. Additionally, Admiral Hermann Ucklanski was hired to command the fleet, although sources tell me that he is an incompetent fool.
Shortly thereafter, in response to our military's complaints about the recent attention spent on the Navy, Sigismun Wachtmeister, a Sergeant Major General, was hired.

Fourteen Hundred Thirty-Nine to Fourteen Hundred Forty-One:
King Fredrich Wilhelm I has been chasing us around the Brandenburg country side during this time of what he calls peace. We have remained one step ahead of him until now, but I fear that there is a spy amongst us who is somehow informing the King of our position. We plan to escape to Meissen within the next year. Perhaps their King will treat us better.

In The Year Fourteen Hundred Forty-Two:
Willhelm, the chronicler, has been captured and hung. Myself and two of my associates have escaped and are currently employed in the University of Saxony. We shall not return to our homes in Brandenburg until a new king has found his way to the throne---there must be someone better than he.
In the meanwhile, the Saxony's people have been treating us kindly. Johann Koerbecke, an Artist, showed us a piece he had been working on for some time. His paintings were fantastic. He has vowed to come and visit us when we return to our homeland. He claims he will bring his latest work when it is finished.
Johan Fritz--Chronicler, 1442​

Chronicles of France Chapter 3

blasonfleurdelysll1.jpg

Chronicles of France​

Chapter 3: The Great Civil War

In the 1410's and 1420's, the King of France aggressively pursued his policies of unification and centralisation. Although highly popular amongst the nobility, these policies took their toll on the populace. Forced enrollement in the army, ridiculously high war taxes and massive food shortages quickly sapped France's will to fight during the final stages of the War of Brabantian Aggression. The nobility repeatidly warned the king about the unrest, but he dissmissed it as paranoid ramblings. When France invaded the Duchy of Bourbon in late 1414, all hell broke loose. 20 000 peasants took up arms in Paris, 15 000 more in Maine. In the Aquitaine, more than 17 000 Armagnac nationalists revolted and Girona and Roussillon defected to Aragon. When the army proved unable to contain the situation, more joined in. The King faced all-out civil war. By 1415, more than half of France's national territories had either had revolted or defected. On Febuary 13th 1416, the King abdicated. His successor was able to apease the rebels and somewhat restore the kingdom, but it would be a long road to recovery, as inflation now threatened the nation's coffers...​

P.S: Sorry for the lack of screenshots, I don't have any good ones.... :(

Chronicles of the Saxon People​

1442-1458: Europe at War​

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Two:
We are still in hiding in Saxony, but we have received word from some of our supporters in Brandenburg that the King has changed is attention to the East in order to suppress Teutonic Rebels. We seem safe for now.
During this year, the King Philipe I of Brabant gave our King the province of Berg in attempts to remain at peace with our wrathful King. It would seem to have worked because not one month later, we heard word of a diplomatic meeting arranging an alliance with the Dutch.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Four:
Two years have passed since our isolation in Saxony, but it is time to move back. Several peasants, and our supporters, have declared war on the King's court in order to receive greater amounts of freedom. I have joined on a personal matter in order to regain my rightful position as King's chronicler, something that Freidrich Wilhelm I has declared a foolish profession and had outlawed in the Brandenburgian Kingdom.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Five:
King Freidrich Wilhelm I, in order to help the Teutonic Knights, declared war on Pskov, Poland, Novgorod, Ryzan, and Muscowy. This can only mean gains for us "peasant rabble" since he cannot put us down if his attention is to the east.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Six:
Peace has been struck with both Pskov and Novgorod. No provinces or ducats were exchanged between our nation and theirs, but I can't help but assume these peaces were called because the war is going badly for King Freidrich Wilhelm I.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Seven:
Our King, due to the war with Poland, has reached an agreement with us. King Freidrich Wilhelm I declared that he would look into giving the peasants more rights if we would help in the war against Poland. Additionally, I have been given my position of court chronicler back with the condition that I report any and all decisions the King makes in a fair and hopeful manner.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Eight:
Our King, in order to maintain stability and in attempts to save our nation, sued for peace with Ryzan. The treacherous king ordered us to release Cleves. It was a large price to pay for helping the Teutons remain their own entity. Although no formal documents have been written up, the Teutonic Knights have promised us Danzig for our efforts. We shall see if they uphold this or if it slips through the cracks. Additionally, an Alliance was struck with the Teutons to prevent any further Polish aggression to the north.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Forty Nine:
Our King has decided that war is not always the answer and certainly not the only way one can become prestigious. With this in mind, our King has decided to change course and instead of conquering Silesia to prove that we are prestigious, he has determined that he shall become the Holy Roman Emperor. With ourselves, Saxony and The Palantine voting for him, he believes the Hessian Emperor will not be able to reclaim the title of Emperor.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Fifty:
In a secret meeting with the Venice's Council of Ten, a secret group that is supposedly in charge of all of Venice and controls the Doge's actions, an alliance was forged for defense against Austria, who seems to be hell bent on world conquest.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Fifty Three:
Our King, who was doing his best to right what went wrong, died in battle against Heretics to the East. His son, Friedrich II--grandson to Freidrich I--assumed the throne. Though a good military leader and administrator, he lacks the diplomatic skill of his father. Friedrich II believes that his father was wrong on many things. In his first acts as King, Friedrich II gave the peasants more freedom and brought back the goal of uniting the Saxon people. In addition, he split the military back into two armies, reforming the Shutzstaffel.
EU3_26.jpg

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Fifty Four:
The Papal State, after having been kicked out of Rome, set up the Papacy in Altmark.

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Fifty Five:
Friedrich II sent a spy to the Papal State in order to get the Saxon people there to revolt against their masters and support our claims to that province. Upon hearing the success of his spy, declared war on the Papal State, knowing that the peasants their would support him. Thus, the Brandenburgian-Papal War began.
Shortly after the war began, peace was struck with Hesse to give up Kassel and 50 ducats payment. Within months of losing their only ally, the Papal State was kicked out of Altmark and the province was annexed.
Brabant, our ally, sent word that the Papacy had moved again and set up in Munster. With so much turmoil going on in the Catholic church, I begin to wonder if there isn't a better way to run things.
However, in spite of the Catholic turmoil and the center of the Catholic church continually moving, Johann Gutenberg of Mainz finished on his movable type system, a fascinating new innovation where one can actually print words onto paper using tin molds.
EU3_27.jpg

In the Year Fourteen Hundred Fifty Eight:
Many attempts, gifts, and promises have been sent to our Vassals, but none of the Dukes want to give up what remaining sovereignty they have. However, our King has been arranging royal marriages around the Holy Roman Empire in order to increase our prestige. According to him, with any luck in the next 15 years Thurungia and Anhalt will be incorporated into our realm.

Our Nation: 1458
EU3_28.jpg

Hehe...as soon as I posted it I was like...hmm..I wonder if I should edit it out...but hey, Monkey can see we have an alliance anyways and that you are no longer in an alliance with him. hehe Oh well.
But remember, that is only the position of my current king...who knows what the next king will bring (hey that rhymed). :rofl:

Also, I need to remember to write down kings names when I go to war and such...it's not as fun writing "the ____'s King did this to us". Must remember that for the next AAR