• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
At leace Venice got something, there's still time to expand more

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Brabant.svg.png

The fight over the supremacy of The Netherlands
A Brabant/Dutch AAR
Part 1: The two Duchesses of Brabant

Brabant-1399.jpg

As you can see from this map, the Netherlands is divided. Joanna of Brabant had to consolidate her power over these counties and duchies from s’ Hertogenbosch (which means in Dutch: the Duke’s Wood/Forest). First, she enters an alliance with Friesland and Luxembourg, an emissary failed to convince the County of Gelre in the alliance. After all, she wants to vassalize the small counties peacefully to not waste any manpower and ducats. Friesland, Luxembourg and Gelre all agreed to get into a Royal Marriage with Brabant.

The Dutch people of Zeeland

firstmission-1399.jpg

While dinning with the Royal Family in s’ Hertogenbosch, Joanna received a message from the Count of Zeeland. The message said that the Dutch people of Zeeland were persecuted by the Walloons from Hainault. Joanna thought this well and shared the letter with the rest of the family. She decided that the Dutch people had to be saved. Not only that, conquering Zeeland from the rivals of Hainault would finally give access to the sea Brabant desired for so long. But first, she needed a powerful ally to fight the threatening beast that is called The Duchy of Burgundy.

The beast of Burgundy

The duchy of Burgundy is the only nation that could interfere with Joanna’s plan for the unification of the Netherlands. Not only that Burgundy controls the Flanders, they were very powerful and controlled the rich counties of Antwerpen, Vlaanderen and Valanciennes. Three provinces in the Region of the Netherlands that Joanna needed for the unification. She decided that the only country that could help her would be the rich, powerful and divided Kingdom of France.

The Treaty of Paris

alliance-france.jpg

The king of France received an emissary from Brabant in 27th of January, 1400 to negotiate a treaty of alliance between France and Brabant. It took 2 days of negotiations until both agreed. France would protect Brabant if they would get invaded and recognized Brabant’s claim on the territory of the Netherlands. Both nations would help each other in case of war.

A new Duke… I mean Duchess

newmonarch-JeanneI.jpg

Joanna would never live to see her dream come true. Since she had no male heir, her daughter Joanna I raised to the throne in April 24th 1400. She was a good diplomat, but she had no military skill or administrative skill. She would pursue her mother’s dream of a unified and powerful Netherlands.

The Franco-English War

On the 1st of October, 1401, more than a year since Joanna’s rise to the glorious throne of Brabant, she is involved with a war between the 2 great rivals of Europe, France and England. Although she would not be actually involved in the war since no country could reach Brabant nor could Brabant could reach her enemies. On the 15th of August, 1402, the war ended with the Treaty Bordeaux. England would cede Gascogne and Saintonge.

Diplomacies between 1405 and 1407

VassalationFriesland.jpg

On the 14th of September 1405, Friesland agreed to become vassals of the glorious Duchy of Brabant. Later on, Gelre would finally accept an alliance with Brabant. On 28th of July 1407, the Serene Republic of Venice and the Glorious Duchy of Brabant accepted a trade agreement. After all, the expert merchants of Venice always kicked out the new Brabantian merchants in Antwerp.

1407: The invasion of Burgundy by Hainault

In 1407, Burgundy had great troubles with rebels, in the Burgundian Netherlands, heretics revolted against Burgundy. Those rebels successfully occupied a province from Burgundy. They were forced to route and fell back to Hainault. The armies of Hainault were busy keeping order in the Counties of Holland and Zeeland. The city fell later on. Hainault took this as an offense from Burgundy and decided to declare war on them. The less than 5 000 Hainautians soldiers invaded Antwerp and the Burgundian Netherlands. Since the Armies of Burgundy were busy putting down rebels, it was very successful. Until Aragon, Burgundy’s ally, invaded Holland and Zeeland from the sea. After successfully invading the 2 duchies, Hainault agreed to release the Duchy of Holland. The new duchy would be governed by a Catalan Duke, which greatly offended Brabant.

The liberation of Zeeland

In 1399, Joanna received a plea of help from the count of Zeeland, now was the perfect moment to liberate the Zeelanders from foreign tyranny. The Glorious Duchy of Brabant declared war on the Duchy of Holland and on the Kingdom of Aragon. France, Friesland and Gelre all agreed to help the cause. The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg did not wanted to get involved against a powerful country like Aragon. This outraged the Duchess but she understood the Grand Duke. By the 18th of October 1409, The Koninklijke Leger (Royal Army) liberated Zeeland, the very happy count offered his help by giving financial support and some soldiers to replace the ones lost in the siege. The Royal Army of Brabant then moved toward Amsterdam. When the City fell, the Duke of Holland just arrived from Aragon, he agreed to cede Zeeland to the Glorious Duchy of Brabant. Joanna I now figured that now that she has access to the sea, she had to build a Navy to protect her Glorious Duchy from seaborne invasions. A message from a French emissary said that the Armée Royale Française was moving across the enemy kingdom of Aragon and had liberated Roussillon and that they were successfully repelling Aragon’s attacks.

-Vassalation of the County of Friesland.
-Allied a powerful Kingdom to repel any invaders and to help campaigns
-Alliance and Royal Marriage with Gelre and Royal marriage with Luxembourg (alliance lost during the liberation of Zeeland).
-Gained Access to the Sea.

Chronicles of France Chapter 2: The Hundred Year's War

blasonfleurdelysll1.jpg

Chronicles of France​

Chapter 2: The Hundred Year's War

France aggressively pursued it's policy of unification in the 1400's. In the Netherlands, the Duchy of Brabant was facing a similar struggle. When Brabantian diplomats reached the king in January 1400, he accepted their offer for an alliance, signing the Treaty of Paris on the 29th of the same month. In the year 1401, attempts were made by the French to contact the English, asking them to return the Aquitaine to French control. The problem with this is that these attempts were half-hearted at best, and gave the English no reasonable compensation for the territory. After England's fourth refusal, France's response was to behead the English diplomats, and sent the severed heads back to the king. That same afternoon, 20 000 troops poured over the French-English border into Saintonge and Gascogne.

eu39bp7.png
The following year, in August 1402, after a French invasion of Kent, the English sent a formal request for peace. The Treaty of Bordeaux was formulated and signed on August 28th 1402. Back in Paris, King Charles VI fell deathly ill, until finally passing away on the 5th of September 1402. He would never see his dreams fufilled. Later that same year, English troops invaded Scotland. True to it's commitments, France once again declared war on England. The war lasted for 3 long years. After taking Calais, France once again invaded in Kent.
War Exhaustion took it's toll on England, and they surrendered in 1405 signing the Treaty of Caen. 2 months later, the heir to the French throne, Louis XI, came of age, and was crowned King of France on September 10th 1405. In 1409, France's alliance with Brabant dragged France into another war, this time, with Holland and Aragon.
By 1411, France was besieging Barcelona, having captured Roussillon and Girona in the previous years.

francecirca1411wb6.png

France, Circa 1411

Here I am, good job getting that alliance with France and the vassalization with Friesland, that will strenghten your position in the area.

Capibara said:
Here I am, good job getting that alliance with France and the vassalization with Friesland, that will strenghten your position in the area.
Thank you, the problem is that France might not be able to make it next week, so everything could go horribly, Horribly wrong. (Altho we have a backup plan)

You should unite the Low Countries as quickly as possible. I wouldn't trust France after the treaty expires, so you have to be ready for everything!

EUROO7 said:
You should unite the Low Countries as quickly as possible. I wouldn't trust France after the treaty expires, so you have to be ready for everything!
The only france i dont trust is the AI France :p
-=Edit!=-
I made a map of the Netherlands out of boredom, made in glorious MSPaint!
thenetherlands1411.jpg

Last edited:
Griffin.Gen said:
The only france i dont trust is the AI France :p
-=Edit!=-
I made a map of the Netherlands out of boredom, made in glorious MSPaint!
thenetherlands1411.jpg

Haha: You really have too much time on your hands (Says someone posting on a gaming forum 24/7) :rofl:

Don't worry about little to no comments: That is just the way the cookie tends to crumble ;)

Darknesskilla said:
Anyone feel like subbing for me this Sunday (20th) and possibly next sunday ?

It would be greatly appreciated if one of our readers stepped up and helped us out :D
Unfortunatly I can't :(

My MP games have ended as my summer has ended. So I can only offer morale support.

good to see the hundred year war ;)

Griffin.Gen: Can Brabant really afford a navy? I would have expected you to pour all your resources into the army in order to stand a chance against either France or Burgundy? It was a smart move to ally with Paris... although if France is AWOL in the next session you might want to ally with Burgundy against France ;)

ComradeOm said:
Griffin.Gen: Can Brabant really afford a navy? I would have expected you to pour all your resources into the army in order to stand a chance against either France or Burgundy? It was a smart move to ally with Paris... although if France is AWOL in the next session you might want to ally with Burgundy against France ;)
Well with the reward from my AAR (not much) I should be able to build a couple of carracks and cogs. I didnt take a pic but my mission is Build a Proper Navy. My Naval limit is very small (about 5 ships or so).
I hope were going to be able to find a sub. I'm screwed if we dont.

Griffin.Gen said:
Well with the reward from my AAR (not much) I should be able to build a couple of carracks and cogs. I didnt take a pic but my mission is Build a Proper Navy. My Naval limit is very small (about 5 ships or so).
I hope were going to be able to find a sub. I'm screwed if we dont.
I check and see f my brother would want to join up...I'll get back to you tomorrow when I see him

Just wanted to let all of our readers know that this weeks game encountered severe difficulty and most likely no AAR's will be posted this week (we only got 4 years done).
Hopefully next week will go smoother and hopefully the damn Metaserver will be up so we can have a stable session.
Thank you all for you patience
-Kevin (Brandenburg)