• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ComradeOm said:
I'll have to follow this. Quite often Multiplayer AARs seem to peter out but its very encouraging that you've got most players writing to a good standard. This looks promising

Now I'm torn between Venezia and Ming...

My tale will be a lonely one until I run into someone else and give them kittens of peace.
kitten.jpg

The Japanese don't count as they're on some island I don't care about.

The Glory of the Saxon People​

=out of character=
This is my first AAR, so please forgive me, I will be writing as a chronicler of the Brandenburg Empire=

1399-1411--The Suppression of Brandenburg
=in character=

Chronicler--Friedrich of Brandenburg
In the year or our lord 1399:
Jobst the First of Luxembourg still refuses to release our glorious nation despite our insistence for sovereignty.
Some noblemen believe that we should strive to unite the Saxon people under one flag, while others feel our need to push away from the Holy Roman Empire as they have done nothing to secure our freedom; our independence from Jobst. Seeing a common enemy, both factions agreed to issue a warning to the current Holy Roman Emperor, the ruler of Bohemia. It was during this year that Bohemia, ignoring our warning, declared war on the Kingdom of Hungary. Because our troops fought long and hard, we rescued the Saxon people in Niederlausltz.

In the year of our lord 1400:
God has willed us to gain access to the sea. Pomerania, who is our closest and weakest seafaring neighbor, seems to be the perfect choice to fulfill God's wishes. But, as we are still under rule of Luxembourg, we must wait.
Our Nobles are beginning to get restless without a proper Saxon leader. Austrian aggression to the South has increased the desire to become sovereign---to defend ourselves.

In the year of our Lord 1403:
Though still suppressed by Luxembourg, our Noblemen have decided to pass an act declaring our land warfare to be of the utmost importance.

In the year of our Lord 1408:
Due to lack of anything of note, the past eight years have passed quickly. We have kept a watchful eye to defend our borders. Some of our noble, who pushed to have a second army created after the Bohemian-Hungarian war, received their wish and the Protective Squadron, or Schutzstaffel, was formed.
We know we will one day be sovereign, and in the meanwhile, some of our more militant Noblemen have met to draft plans for Brandenburg.

In the year of our Lord 1411:
A great blackness has covered our land and, indeed, all of Europe. Some believe it to be the end of the world. Others believe things will begin again though, on a personal note, I fear that I will not be joining them.

The Moravian War

(Note: My AAR will be in History book style, with this section being a volume of a millitary history of Austria.)

The Bohemian War:
Battle of Görlitz​

The Bohemian War was started as Bohemia still was recovering from its unsuccsessful wars with Brandenburg and Hungary. Rebels were in control of the western part of the country and the Bohemian army recovering from its huge losses. It had long been known in the Austrian court that the only thing preventing war was Bohemias status as the Holy Roman Emperor, but Bohemia recently lost the election to a minor state, Cleves. Austria attacked Bohemia like a buzzard ripping into the flesh of a dead animal. There was some grumbling from the German states but the only nations that came to Bohemias defense were Milan and the Tectonic Order, allies of Bohemia, and Cleves. An Austrian army of 6000 marched to Prague while an army of 5000 fought a diversionary action in North Italy to keep Milan away from the homeland.. The Austrian forces came to Prague and found that, luckily, the city garrision could only put up a small struggle before being overwhelemed in a massive assault. In early August the Austrian flag flew over the capital of Bohemia and the Austrian army marched north, pillaging the land as it went to destroy the remnants of Bohemias main corp.

Albrecht IV, King of Austria, being presented with the spoils of war.

Austrian forces heading north.

The 2 forces met near a village named Görlitz. The Austrian army, operating under the principles of Ladislav Von Stark (Note: A 2-star land tech advisor) formed up with the calvary arranged into 2 massive squares near the center of the line, with heavy infantry in beetween, and a large amount of light infantry forming a wall of flesh on both flanks. The line was of roughly equal strength to the Bohemian, the hope being the the Bohemian center would be surrounded by the calvary and destroyed, which would then let the Austrians seperate the Bohemians and destroy each side in turn. The Bohemians were arranged into a shield wall of infantry, with a decent amount of light calvary supporting them. These were held in reserve ready to plug any gaps.

Austrian Calvary forming up and advancing.

The Austrian pikemen in the center of the line was pushing back the enemy, but the Austrian flanks were in a stalemate with their Bohemian counterparts.
The left Austrian square drove directly into the Bohemian line. The Bohemian regiment there had just been formed last month and were, in all honesty, a bunch of peasants with weapons. The well-disciplined Austrian calvary broke through easily and started to chase down the fleeing enemy. The right side, unfortunatly, met with far worse luck. The Bohemians there were war-hardened veterans raised directly from the nobles of north Bohemia. These troops actually felt an attachment to the land they were fighting on, and the regiment had been fighting ever since the war with Hungary, and they put up a heroic resistance. The Austrian calvary pushed in a few ranks, but was stopped and held. The left square of Austrian calvary started to turn back but the Bohemian light calvary drove in and attacked. With no room for lances, there was a brutal battle behind the lines as flesh, bone, and steel collided. The bodies of horses littered the ground and caused much misfortune to many a rider as the two groups of calvary clashed.The Austrian pikemen in the center of the line was pushing back the enemy, but the Austrian flanks were in a stalemate with their Bohemian counterparts. The right square of the calvary was still pushing on, and for awhile it looked like a decisive victory could be won if only the left square could defeat their Bohemian counterparts. Suddenly there was a massive wave of panic throughout the Bohemian line. Some saw the Austrian calvary behind them, and in the confusion of battle, panicked. The left side of the Bohemian shield wall just gave away and the Austrian light infantry started to swing to the right. The Bohemian line on the right, seeing the threat started to slowly give up ground and eventually fled into the woods behind the battlefield. The Austrian calvary was decimated by the battle, and could not give chase.

Commander of the Austrian forces Ignaz Antel

Although the Bohemians were the ones who gave up the field, it could barely be considered a victory for Austria as both sides lost near the same amounts of men. The current Austrian tactical doctrine was shaken up by this battle, and caused a massive reforming of the austrian millitary. The war went on, the Austrian forces pursuing the bohemians across the country side. Eventually, the Treaty of Prague let Bohemia retreat from the war under the condition that Moravia passed to Austrian ownership and that Austria returned the loot from Prague back to its owners. Cleves, the Tectonic Order, and Milan refused to recognize this treaty. Antel was informed of a Tectonic force besiging Moravia, and swung down to meet it. No major battles were fought, but attrittion and skirmishing eventually convinced allies to peace out of the war with the only clause being that they recognized the Treaty of Prague.

Next chapter: The Balkan Expeditionary force.
(Note: Dang, an AAR is alot tougher than I thought. Please comment and be honest with it. If I make you hate the world my writing is so bad, please say so. Also, does anyone know a good source for names of a certian nationality? I just mixed a first name and a last name from wikipedia to make the name of my commander.

You could look in the history file for the country you want for the commanders.

I like the History book style!

Austriae est imperare orbi universo!!! :D

EUROO7 said:
You could look in the history file for the country you want for the commanders.

I like the History book style!

Austriae est imperare orbi universo!!! :D

Oh, stupid me. :rofl: I never even thought of doing that.

Thanks! Writing an AAR is alot more time-consuming then I thought, so positive comments really help. :D

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I love your mission AAR. It was a great idea.

Treaty of Paris (1400)

Treaty of Paris
signed in the year 1400 of our lord

I, King Charles VI, proclaim a guarantee on Brabant's sovereignty and independence and pledge to help the Duchy of Brabant in case of war. I also hereby acknowledge Brabant's claims on the territories of "the Netherlands" and will help them prosecute their claims to their fullest.

In exchange for this, the Duchy of Brabant pledges to support France's military campaigns however it sees fit.

Note: The ruler of France has the power of veto and may backdown from his obligations as detailed in this treaty if this conflicts with other alliance or other treaties, prior or after the signing of this treaty. The Duchy of Brabant detains similar powers.

This treaty will expire on the 29th of January 1420. The clauses of this treaty will then have to be renegociated.

Brabant: (signs)
France: (signs)

Treaty of Bordeaux (1402)

Treaty of Bordeaux
signed in the year 1402 of our lord

King Charles VI of France, and King Henry IV, agree to peace along the following terms:
- The territory of Gascogne is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Kingdom of France, now and forever.
- The territory of Saintonge is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Kingdom of France, now and forever.

France: (Signs)
England: (Signs)

Treaty of Caen (1405)

Treaty of Caen
signed in the year 1405 of our Lord

King Charles VI of France, and King Henry IV, agree to peace along the following terms:
- The territory of Calais is to be returned to it's rightful owner, the Kingdom of France, now and forever.

France: (Signs)
England: (Signs)

La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia

Chapter I: The Stato da Mar
1399-1411
flagofmostserenerepublive0.png

In 1399, the Most Serene Republic faced numerous challenges. To the east were the Ottomans, who threatened Venetian trade interests, and to the west were the Visconti, who were trying to unite the Lombards.

expandterrafirmaeh3.png

A foray into Lombardy seems prudent.

To this end, we pursued a policy of centralization. If we are to be able to retain greater holdings in Italy, then they must be fully incorporated into the Republic. The Visconti are a powerful family and allied with Bohemia, however, and so to even think of expansion into Italy we had to look for allies. With whom do we have aligned interests and cordial relations but the Habsburgs? We immediately entered into an alliance with them, and drew up a battle plan. The armies of the Republic would handle the Visconti and the Austrian armies would invade Bohemia.

Unfortunately, the plan fell apart. The Grand Council were united in their anxiety over our chances against the Visconti, and having just elected the Council of Ten, any chances for a war seemed unlikely.

[Note: This is the best explanation I have for when I lost connection right as Austria declared war on Bohemia - which meant that I wasn't involved in the war, apparently.]

And so all interests were turned to the east, where the Ottoman Empire appeared to be crumbling under revolts. To deal with the imminent expansion, we decided to split the administration of the republic in two and give the new Stato da Mar governance over the east - this will increase trade now that the Republic is run more efficiently. Controlling trade through the Hellespont would be extremely profitable, and so a brief war began after many new galleys were built in the Arsenal. However, an unexpectedly strong resistance was met, and as a 15,000 Turk army approached Athens we demanded ducats - better than to return empty handed.

We harbored no sympathy for Byzantium, and after reports of Byzantine expansion into Bursa, we realized a great opportunity. The Byzantines were weak, and we needed to control Bursa. We seized Morea and Bursa, as well as their sizable coffer. With a new influx of wealth, the Republic was ready to finally face the Ottomans.

More regiments were sent to the Ottoman border and galleys were sent to trap the Ottoman navy in port. With everything in place, we declared war. The war in Greece went well, and soon the occupation began. The front in Asia Minor, however, was crumbling from Candar's aid to the Ottomans. Austria sent troops to aid the assault of Edirne, the Ottoman capital, while more troops were sent into Asia Minor. Everything seemed quiet in Greece until a large army of Greek patriots stormed Athens and headed north. At this point, however, the Ottomans were crushed and willing to cede their coastal Aegean territories.

ottomanoccupationhq2.jpg

The Ottoman Empire on the eve of peace (and the crash, incidentally)

[Note: At this point the game crashed for a lot of the players and the session was over.]

venice13991411copyxc6.jpg

An overview of Venetian territorial expansion in the years 1399-1411.
europe13991411ad2.jpg

Europe in 1399 and 1411.

Last edited:
A Crash?!?!

Oh Noes!!!

Are you still allied with Austria? If so, The Austro-Venetian Alliance will win! :D

PetitBourgeois said:
Yes, I am still allied with Austria. He sent some troops to aid the siege of Edirne. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Austria vassalized Mantua and Modena/Ferrara.

Though my territorial expansion may look puny, it's only because I was about to give a peace offer to the Ottomans.
Well, you did only start with, what, 4 provinces.

So you will take the adriatic coast from the turks?

And then, to Constantinople! :D

PetitBourgeois said:
Yes, I am still allied with Austria. He sent some troops to aid the siege of Edirne. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Austria vassalized Mantua and Modena/Ferrara.

Though my territorial expansion may look puny, it's only because I was about to give a peace offer to the Ottomans.

Yeah, you can take the Balkans, I don't want them. This Austria is going north. :cool: Oh, and if anyone wants to see the world at our latest save (I think) here it is: