• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe Japan can achieve the conquest of backwards China easily enough. Have the operational commanders considered a three-pronged offensive, with a cavalry sweep through the weak state of Shanxi, a direct drive south along the border, and an amphibious strike upon Nanjing, with the intention of encircling and destroying the entirety of the Chinese Army?

I feel that going after the Soviet Union before the Western Allies would be the ideal; China will be a land war by default, so land wars should be resolved first. Doing so would allow you to maximize the efficiency of producing armor, artillery, and infantry, while long-term investments into naval power can be made throughout the period. When the war winds down, you can go all-out into naval production, and have an army that's at least as powerful as you could need, and you should be in an excellent position to mass-produce aircraft.

Also noteworthy is that if you launch campaigns to conquer the Chinese states, you'll allow the Western nations to mobilize for war much sooner. *breaks character* You could create the historical alliance between the Chinese states (and, preferably give a dramatic increase to Nat Chi's national unity so they don't break easily) so they all declare war on you, making the war so much more interesting and allowing you to conquer all the states without multiple DoW's.

We too are confident in our might. High Command has not considered that route entirely but a very similar choice. We, as also you have, proposed a light force commanded by General Tojo to drive south through Shanxi and Communist China and the major cities of northern China like Beiping and Tianjin. A second front will be opened by an amphibious force in the northern coast and a third offensive will land on the southern coast of China. However our doctrines do not aim to destroy the bigger chinese army but rather annihilate their operational ability to conduct war by taking their major industrial, supply, military and political assets (Victory Points) in fast surgical penetrations. We are developing what we call the Fluid Combat Theory, which proposes that our units should not hold static lines or fronts against the numerical superior enemy to prevent them from reinforcing or reorganizing a defense in depth of China. It is important for our troops to always be stepping on the heels of our enemies as they fall back. Our 500.000 strong forces that will take part in combat operations against China would suffer terribly if the Chinese were given time to set up a proper defense in depth of the country.

High Command was wavering on its decision but no more. We are sure our destiny as an Asian superpower lies in China and Russia and not on the Pacific. We shall attack the USSR after China falls, with our hardened veteran forces. Our goal is to conquer the russian Far East and drive to Siberia. We plan of cutting off the main Russian forces around Vladivostok with a quick amphibious assault behind their lines. Once our war with Russia has concluded favorably, we shall direct our attention to the european colonial powers and ultimately the United States of America. Asia shall be for Asians.

As for the lesser Chinese states, we have concluded a neutrality agreement with them to prevent them from helping China for as long as we remain at peace with them (lol the truth is that I can`t declare war on most of them - except for Com. Chi, Shanxi and Sinkiang - because my neutrality is not low enough, weird).

Also, there's a way you could cripple Far East Command - using strategic bombers, sever the Trans-Siberian Railroad. Expensive, certainly, but used in conjunction with tactical bombers attacking enemy stockpiles of supplies, you could cripple the Soviet ability to defend the Far East. Heavy aircraft production also opens the way to paratroops, which would be a valuable asset in your island hopping campaign.

Strategic bombers are a bit too expensive for our capabilities right now but we shall consider this option for the future. Our main basic strategy for war against USSR is to encircle most of their army around the Vladivostok peninsula and then drive through the massive gap in their lines until we reach the lands of Siberia. What other options shall we consider Field Marshal Hawke?

150.000 men arrayed against China? That is not a lot. Quality will have to triumph over the untrained Chinese hordes. But I have faith in the invincible Japanese army.
I take it that you intend to annex all of the warlords in the area. That will create a lot of threat, it'll be interesting to see if anyone reacts to it.

I had forgotten to post the strength of the rest of our forces that will invade China (i just fixed the mistake, check out the screenshots above). We have 150,000 men under General Tojo in Manchukuo, in Port Arthur we have an additional 145,000 forces that will perform amphibious operations in the northern coast of China. Finally, in Taiwan, we have the 170,000 strong Imperial Formosa Army, attached to the Imperial Supreme War Council in Tokyo, tasked with invading the southern coast. All in all, we have about 500.000 troops on stand by, ready to seize the Republic of China and preserve the Glory of Our Empire.

He can handle it with that much, I'm fairly certain.

The presentation of this AAR is excellent, as well.

We shall handle it, that's for sure.

Thank you very much, it means a lot to Us. Sayonara until next time!

640px-Naval_ensign_of_the_Empire_of_Japan.svg (1).png

Reactions:
True, should you deign to fight a war dominated by operational strategy, aimed at rapid destruction of the Chinese Army, our forces would likely absorb greater losses than necessary while not, in the long term achieving a much greater victory. I assumed that we may be at war with a Chinese coalition, in which case destruction of the Chinese Army while it was incompletely mobilized, and their allies had yet to reach the front would make the war much easier over the long term. If we fight only the Republic of China, then your strategy should be ideal for bringing about a rapid collapse of the Chinese ability to fight and bringing the industrialized coastal regions of China under Japanese control.

Your strategy on the ground for the Soviet campaign is essentially what I would do, except that I would have a three pronged advance - one by sea and one by land to cut off Vladivostok, while another would march down the TSRR in a deep penetration and render the Soviet position more and more logistically untenable. The strategic bombers were wishful thinking, but might I recommend utilizing research in such a way that we have long ranged, but brittle tactical bombers that will be able to effectively fill the same role in the vast, indefensible sky of Siberia? You can build prefabricated airfields and deploy them at the front, allowing the maximum effective range as well. I tend to be more of a tactical-operational thinker, but in such a region as Siberia, logistics and strategy rule. What I'm curious about, is how do you plan on dealing with Soviet armor? Will you be fielding small, counter-armor formations with light armor and tank destroyers, or will anti tank regiments be a common fixture of the Japanese division?

Reactions:
Oohh, in that case China is doomed. Forward, for the Empire!

Reactions:
Subbed!

Reactions:
First of all, sorry for any update delays. I'm on holiday so I don't have much time to write the AAR but I will resume as soon as I get back home. I'm having such a blast I might not even be able to post it here without breaking the rules lmao

True, should you deign to fight a war dominated by operational strategy, aimed at rapid destruction of the Chinese Army, our forces would likely absorb greater losses than necessary while not, in the long term achieving a much greater victory. I assumed that we may be at war with a Chinese coalition, in which case destruction of the Chinese Army while it was incompletely mobilized, and their allies had yet to reach the front would make the war much easier over the long term. If we fight only the Republic of China, then your strategy should be ideal for bringing about a rapid collapse of the Chinese ability to fight and bringing the industrialized coastal regions of China under Japanese control.

Your strategy on the ground for the Soviet campaign is essentially what I would do, except that I would have a three pronged advance - one by sea and one by land to cut off Vladivostok, while another would march down the TSRR in a deep penetration and render the Soviet position more and more logistically untenable. The strategic bombers were wishful thinking, but might I recommend utilizing research in such a way that we have long ranged, but brittle tactical bombers that will be able to effectively fill the same role in the vast, indefensible sky of Siberia? You can build prefabricated airfields and deploy them at the front, allowing the maximum effective range as well. I tend to be more of a tactical-operational thinker, but in such a region as Siberia, logistics and strategy rule. What I'm curious about, is how do you plan on dealing with Soviet armor? Will you be fielding small, counter-armor formations with light armor and tank destroyers, or will anti tank regiments be a common fixture of the Japanese division?

Yes that's true. We are focusing on a grand strategy to bring about the rapid collapse of the chinese government through the capture of important military, cultural and political targets by fast strategic surgical penetrations. We know that if we focus our main effort on the destruction of the chinese military, we would be facing an enemy who historically outnumbers us 5 to 1, China being one of the largest countries of earth but with poor infrastructure, hostile terrain and weather. It will be too hard and costly to face them head on. We plan on saving all the manpower and supplies we can to challenge the Soviets in the future.

Still, China has no hope militarily. Our land forces are very organized, led by highly skilled leaders whom provide very beneficial effects to the troops and are supported by our air force and navy.

As for the USSR, we shall employ your strategy which has been named Operation Winter Storm. Our main force shall advance along the tracks of the TSSR, while at the same time, we shall land amphibious forces on the Far East coast and penetrate the defenses around Vladivostok from our land based Manchukuo border guards. This will allow us to deal a massive blow to the Soviet Far East Command and eliminate it before it can set up a proper defense of their territory. Once this is done, we expect the Soviets to bring a lot of forces from the european front and this will comprise the main fighting in this war. We shall build a few airports and some more bomber planes.

And as to what to do with Soviet armor? We are building many AT brigades right now, a few of them are even deployed in China to gain some battlefield experience before they are sent to the Far Eastern theatre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Eastern_Front

Oohh, in that case China is doomed. Forward, for the Empire!

Victory shall never be in doubt!

We will always seize the initiative and take the fight to our foes! Our divine goal is to liberate Asia of foreign oppresors and write her a new and glorious chapter in history.

Very good start, and a very well written AAR. Subbed!

Thank you, I will post an AAR update soon on the entire China campaign starting in '37, be sure to check it out, its going to be great!

Reactions:
The population of China is much greater, but human beings aren't of much consequence without weapons and training. China is too industrially backward to field an army five times the size of our own, and should we concentrate power at the decisive points in the battlefield, we could penetrate their positions, break into their rear areas and eliminate their army altogether, potentially saving lives and time in the later campaign to complete the conquest of China.

This is hypothetical, however, and ultimately unnecessary - your plan is the safer bet by far; should the Chinese prove more resilient than expected, my plan could see us bogged down in a slow land war.

Reactions:

Conquest of China

We have declared war on the Republic of China on the 7th of July of 1937 (historical date) and shall prosecute it until its successful termination.

War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.png

Operation Continent Cross-Through

The Imperial Japanese Army, supported by the Imperial naval and air forces, will conduct a fast surgical penetration of the chinese coast and capture their assigned high value targets (shown as red dots) to bring about the rapid collapse of any serious defense organization that the Chinese might put up against Us. It is not our priority to destroy the numerous but poorly trained Chinese armed forces but rather, take away from them their ability to conduct modern war.

Our new and streamlined OPLAN.

streamlined%20op%20continent%20cross%20tru_zpshfushxo1.jpg

We have started the invasion from the north by General Tojo's forces. We shall march on until we meet the Yellow River (dotted green line). The ancient chinese imperial capital of Beiping will be the first casualty of this war. Also, of major importance is the conquest of Shanxi and Communist China by Tojo's Imperial Army of China. Notice how the entire chinese coast is blockaded.

The invasion has started. We shall never know defeat! Tenno Heika Banzai! Long live the Emperor!

oplan%20shanxi%20north%20chi_zps6cn0a2yq.jpg

Our Army is traveling through hostile terrain around Shanxi but that won't stop Us. Onward soldiers!

supply lines in china.jpg

We can observe the outskirts of Beiping from here.

jap binoculare.jpg

A few hours later and We are at the gates of Beiping. The artillery is pounding the city as of the moment. The Marine 4th Corps, part of the Imperial Amphibious Strike Force, based in Port Arthur (Dalian), will land on the northeastern chinese coast to open another front on the flank of the Chinese.
dalian%20invasion_zpskrzbqijq.jpg

Imperial Marines ready to do their duty and serve the Emperor over all. Truly brave these modern day Samurais.

640px-Japanese_Special_Naval_Landing_Forces_on_the_deck_board_of_the_IJN_xxx,_June_11th.jpg

During one of the few major naval engagements of the war, Admiral Yamamoto rushed to Wangpan Yang and saved the day. A few japanese cruisers and destroyers have been badly damaged and have rebased to Japan for major reparation works. The Emperor has noticed Yamamoto and will give him the command of the greatest fleet of the Imperial Navy in the near future.
yamamotosaves%20the%20day_zpsbyvugvp6.jpg
Of ancient Samurai heritage, he has already proven his worth in war, against Russia, where he lost two fingers in the Battle of Tsushima. He has been hailed as a hero in Japan for his naval exploits in China and High Command will elevate him to Admiral of the Fleet.

Admiral_Isoroku_Yamamoto.jpg

Better than we expected. The new front has made the defense of the Beiping unattainable and the chinese forces are retreating south to organize a new defense. We have taken this ancient walled city. At the same time because of this, the right flank of Shanxi has collapsed and the road is open to their capital. Less than a week later, the Marine 5th Corps are establishing a beachead around Qingdao with the objective of closing their ports and destroying their coastal batteries.
qingdao_zpsvkuhmrz7.jpg

Our victorious Troops entering the Qianmen gates of Beijing. Long live the Emperor!

640px-First_pictures_of_the_Japanese_occupation_of_Peiping_in_China.jpg

On another note, on the first day of engagements, the Amphibious 1st Corps, part of the Imperial Formosa Army, established a beachhead in the southern chinese coast under the guise of night in a surprise operation. This will force the Chinese army to redeploy troops from the north to the south and take some pressure off of Our northern forces.
formosa%20invasion_zpswp1kjg2u.jpg

Ten days later, the Amphibious 3rd Corps and the Imperial Formosa Corps have landed on the sourthern tip of China and have captured their high value targets.​

hong%20kong%20macau%20invasion_zpsapmh9fu9.jpg

Imperial Marines landing around the Hong Kong area.

japanese marines.jpg

A day later, the Marine 6th Corps stationed in Port Arthur landed around Shangai to perform a march onwards to the Chinese capital of Nanjing. To the horror of Japanese officials, Chiang Kai Shek had sent his elite german trained divisions to the city to defend it. The legendary 88th Division of the chinese army is an elite unit trained by Nazi Germany and considered the most disciplined and best equipped division not just of China but even out of all the other german trained divisions. Our diplomatic corps has suggested the reason behind this strategy is that the Chinese are ready to sacrifice the best they have to arouse international support from the great powers, especially the U.S. They believe western sanctions can halt the unstoppable march of our armies.
shangai_zpsz2hxocxf.jpg

Insignia of the famous 88th Division, the pride of Chiang Kai-Shek's army.

88th_division_badge.jpg

Elite german trained chinese units in a machine gun nest defending their city. Courageous but futile.

Shanghai1937KMT_machine_gun_nest.jpg

The 88th Division defending a city corner behind sandbags.

Shanghai1937KMT_intersection.jpg

By the end of July, our forces are outside the chinese capital of Nanjing, ready to seize Eternal glory! We have heard rumors that Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek has fled and relocated his Headquarters to the interior. We cannot let our guard down now, victory is so close now.
battle%20of%20nanjing_zps1cc6hoka.jpg

We have captured Nanjing, the capital of the Republic of China! Here is General Iwane Matsui, conqueror of Shanghai, making his glorious entry into the city. General Matsui is considered the foremost japanese expert in all matters relating to the chinese, from their history, geography, culture, military, language, etc. For these reasons, he was given command of the forces responsible for the capture of the capital. He has decreed that most army units will not enter the city to prevent them from looting or pillaging it.

640px-Iwane_Matui_and_Asakanomiya_on_Parade_of_Nanking.jpg

Less than a month after the conflict has started, the puppet state of Shanxi has collapsed. Our army in that area must now go after Communist China. For its part, Republican China is not doing so well either. Notice how most of the coastal high value targets of China have been already captured.
victory over shanki.jpg

Victory at last!

Five days after Shanxi fell and a a little over a month after the war started, with most of their important cultural, political and industrial centers captured during surgical penetration operations, the Chinese have surrendered. We have negotiated a truce which allow us to keep the northern coast and some ports in the south. The entire population in Japan is celebrating, the Chief of Staff and the Imperial Household is ecstatic! The prestige of Japan has risen all around the world. Even a few Europeans powers sent diplomatic greetings to our Government and His Majesty.There will be a Field Marshal Ceremony for outstanding military performance soon (don't miss it). Our strategy has been very successful and we are confident that we can keep on repeating it, even against all odds.
The Spirit of Our Nation shall never waver!
The higher military circles of Japan are pondering their next move. Communist China must also fall quickly or will become a national redoubt for the chinese KMT forces. Siam is another realm that we are interested in because they are rich in natural resources.

Note how the numerical superior Chinese Army is in our lands now, retreating to set up defensive lines in their territory. We suspect they are buying time and will be secretly reinforcing behind friendly lines. For these reasons, we have also deployed our troops to the new border between us.
victory over nat china.jpg

Strategic redeployment of troops in China.

west deploy.jpg

south deploy.jpg

New Order of Battle in Japanese China.

china%20west%20redeploy%20oob_zpsffm70xqb.jpg

china%20south%20redeploy%20oob_zpsydmydsb2.jpg

To prevent the Communists from sheltering any KMT leftover force and becoming a bulkwark in northern China, we have declared war on them and right away, our air forces have begun bombing day and night this rebel state.

bombing%20of%20commu%20chi_zpss6iw940c.jpg

Our strategy will be to drive through the north while our eastern forces contain the Communists behind the Yellow River.

com%20chi%2019%20agust_zpsuaofc2yp.jpg

Our troops are shelling the capital of Yan'an nonstop, the cultural birthplace of chinese communism.

comm%20china%20jap%20troops_zpsorkzifxn.jpg

We have breached their defenses around their capital and many units are rushing to be the first to set foot there and win everlasting prestige.

comm%20chi%2027%20september_zpsqjn7rdsg.jpg

After a month and a half of harsh fighting, the Communists have capitulated and some have retreated to Xibei San Ma and communist Mongolia.

vic%20over%20com%20chi_zpsj5jozzzu.jpg

At the same time however, we have sent the Combined Fleet to Siam and expect to capture it soon. By the end of the month, we had captured the Malay peninsula and now we are heading to the royal capital of Bangkok.
thai%20peninsula%20invasion_zpssnna9uwr.jpg

Staging landing operations around the Siamese capital.

thai%20bangkok%20invasion_zpsmdfxzey0.jpg

In a desperate attempt to prevent the landings, the Royal Navy of Siam tried to break the formation of our naval forces but was quickly defeated and they retreated to the safety of their ports.
vic%20over%20thai%20navy_zpsqddzbkwl.jpg

Imperial Marines fighting around Bangkok against the Royal troops of Siam.

shangai%20special%20naval%20landing%20focrs_zpsphmodszl.jpg

We have successfully landed in the coast. It's only a matter of time now before the Royal Army is defeated.

landing%20on%20thailand_zps40j6nh5g.jpg

By midnight, the Royal Government of Siam has surrendered and the Kingdom has been annexed to our Empire. The Royal family and other Siamese nobles have been given high Japanese noble ranks and have been relocated to the Imperial Palace of Tokyo.

vic%20over%20siam_zpsdzgnwaos.jpg

After a bloody 3 month campaign, we have conquered large swaths of East Asia. The outstanding success of this Operation has conviced Imperial General Headquarters that our Army has the neccessary fighting capabilities to take on stronger foes such as the Soviets or British in India. It is only 1937 and we are ready for more! Our Empire shall not conform until all of Asia is under its roof. China will be conquered after the political truce is over because we cannot risk sharing a border with a hostile government as that would pose a grave national security risk for our Empire. For now, we shall rest until the start of 1938. We will prepare our production lines for a future war against the USSR and shall build many anti-tank columns to combat Soviet armored divisions. High Command expects Japan to be ready by 1939 to launch Operation Winter Storm, or the conquest of the Russian Far East.

Be sure to check it out in the next update!

Hakkō ichiu

total%20empire_zpsinpps10q.jpg

Our Empire shall last a 1000 years!

Long live the Emperor!

horse%20hirogio_zpsbugaxqsv.jpg

Check out some BONUS footage of the conflict in China:

Attachments

• com chi 10 agust.jpg
    com chi 10 agust.jpg
    508,6 KB · Views: 44
  • com chi 19 agust.jpg
    com chi 19 agust.jpg
    499,3 KB · Views: 40
  • comm chi 27 september.jpg
    comm chi 27 september.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 38
  • bombing of commu chi.jpg
    bombing of commu chi.jpg
    514,8 KB · Views: 38
  • west deploy.jpg
    west deploy.jpg
    511,8 KB · Views: 41
  • south deploy.jpg
    south deploy.jpg
    504,1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions:
Our new and streamlined OPLAN.

The invasion has started. We shall never know defeat! Tenno Heika Banzai! Long live the Emperor!

A few hours later and We are at the gates of Beiping. The artillery is pounding the city as of the moment. The Marine 4th Corps, part of the Imperial Amphibious Strike Force, based in Port Arthur (Dalian), will land on the northeastern chinese coast to open another front on the flank of the Chinese.

During one of the few major naval engagements of the war, Admiral Yamamoto rushed to Wangpan Yang and saved the day. A few japanese cruisers and destroyers have been badly damaged and have rebased to Japan for major reparation works. The Emperor has noticed Yamamoto and will give him the command of the greatest fleet of the Imperial Navy in the near future.

Better than we expected. The new front has made the defense of the Beiping unattainable and the chinese forces are retreating south to organize a new defense. We have taken this ancient walled city. At the same time because of this, the right flank of Shanxi has collapsed and the road is open to their capital. Less than a week later, the Marine 5th Corps are establishing a beachead around Qingdao with the objective of closing their ports and destroying their coastal batteries.

On another note, on the first day of engagements, the Amphibious 1st Corps, part of the Imperial Formosa Army, established a beachhead in the southern chinese coast under the guise of night in a surprise operation. This will force the Chinese army to redeploy troops from the north to the south and take some pressure off of Our northern forces.

Ten days later, the Amphibious 3rd Corps and the Imperial Formosa Corps have landed on the sourthern tip of China and have captured their high value targets.

A day later, the Marine 6th Corps stationed in Port Arthur landed around Shangai to perform a march onwards to the Chinese capital of Nanjing. To the horror of Japanese officials, Chiang Kai Shek had sent his elite german trained divisions to the city to defend it. The legendary 88th Division of the chinese army is an elite unit trained by Nazi Germany and considered the most disciplined and best equipped division not just of China but even out of all the other german trained divisions. Our diplomatic corps has suggested the reason behind this strategy is that the Chinese are ready to sacrifice the best they have to arouse international support from the great powers, especially the U.S. They believe western sanctions can halt the unstoppable march of our armies.

By the end of July, our forces are outside the chinese capital of Nanjing, ready to seize Eternal glory! We have heard rumors that Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek has fled and relocated his Headquarters to the interior. We cannot let our guard down now, victory is so close now.
The pictures under these paragraphs only show up as an attachment with an id that, when clicked, says error.

Reactions:
Now it's better. Before the USSR war, will you try to capture the European colonies while they're distracted?

Reactions:
A very nice chapter! I'm always a fan of photos so that helps:)
Wouldn't it have been better to take all of Nationalisst China in one war because of threat? More DOWs would allow the Americans to re-arm faster after all.
Nevertheless a good start to the Japanese empire. With these conquests she has access to the manpower needed to prepare her forces for the inevitable clash with the western powers and secure the resources her industry so desperatly needs.

Reactions:
wooow! your plan was really good! but the Chinese fell too quick! I hope this issue is fixed in HoI4

Reactions:
Now it's better. Before the USSR war, will you try to capture the European colonies while they're distracted?

Probably not. Our High Command recognizes the inmense naval power of the allies. While in the short term we might be able to capture those territories with ease, getting into a war too early against them will put our plans for Russia and China in danger. The allies could probably destroy our smaller navy and wreak havoc on our supply convoys destined for East Asia, cutting off our armies there while they fight the Chinese and Russians. We want to take it one step at a time. We don't want or need (we are not allied with GER or anybody else) to open multiple fronts at once, especially when they involve a different military branch altogether to fight in it.

I will have to tell you though, We expect to be at war soon against China and Russia at the same time!

What happened was that in our war against China, with the Seize the Coast wargoal, we have been forced to sign a multiple year truce and to break it right now we need way too many soldiers, more than we could train with our current IC. For this reason, we expect our peace with China to last until maybe 1940 when we will declare war then. Our conflict with the Soviets will start one year before in 1939. Their combined population is around 700 million while ours is just around 70 million, a 10 to 1 difference. This will be the ultimate land war challenge.

A very nice chapter! I'm always a fan of photos so that helps:)
Wouldn't it have been better to take all of Nationalisst China in one war because of threat? More DOWs would allow the Americans to re-arm faster after all.
Nevertheless a good start to the Japanese empire. With these conquests she has access to the manpower needed to prepare her forces for the inevitable clash with the western powers and secure the resources her industry so desperatly needs.

I wanted to take all of Nat China in one war but I didn't want to be pull a gamey trick such as clicking on the Conquer China Wargoal to supersede the Seize the Coast Wargoal. It would have been too boring to take China in one month by confusing the game system and that would also just be too gamey for my taste.

As for the americans, we are very wary of them and do not want to give them reasons to get involved in a war against Us, yet. It is not necessary right now and We also respect their military power.

wooow! your plan was really good! but the Chinese fell too quick! I hope this issue is fixed in HoI4

I know! It was a really well though out plan. I'm playing on Very Hard so I need to focus a lot on grand strategy.

In reality, I took much longer to actually plan the operation and reorganize the structure of my forces than actually executing the plan itself. I have basically mustered all the potential my army has to offer and channeled it in a very aggressive surgical war. With all the reorganizing, I had better leaders, better supply and communication lines, more military bonuses, less visual clutter and that offered me clarity and confidence when thinking and planning. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a well structured OOB can make in the battlefield, it can actually win you the war.

China did not fall too quick in my opinion, we were just pressing their heels all the time. They didn't have a chance, our strategy and firepower was overwhelming. Still, they have not fallen yet, we only have the northern coast while they control most of China.

They are doing a build up now and we suspect this second phase of conflict will be the hardest yet. The interior of China has poor infrastructure and harsh terrain, making any progress there very difficult. It will be a logistical and supply nightmare and with all the troops they will train and rearmament in these years of truce, we do not expect to face the China of 1937 in 1940. It will be a totally different game when we face them again in war. We must not underestimate them.

Cheers mate.

Reactions:
In reality, I took much longer to actually plan the operation and reorganize the structure of my forces than actually executing the plan itself.
This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to HOI4. Much as I love a nice OOB, I'm getting a bit sick of spending 3 hours reorganising at the beginning of every game of HOI3!

Nice update, and, yes, it was a very well conceived and executed plan... a pat on the back is deserved! :D

Reactions:
I never really thought about how adding the conquer china wargoal could be a bit gamey, but then I have never beaten China as quickly as you just did!

This is a great aar, by the way!

Reactions:
This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to HOI4. Much as I love a nice OOB, I'm getting a bit sick of spending 3 hours reorganising at the beginning of every game of HOI3!

Nice update, and, yes, it was a very well conceived and executed plan... a pat on the back is deserved! :D

Do you have TFH, yet? The Custom Game Mode is a godsend for reorganizing the OoB.

Reactions:
His Majesty the Emperor and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces

MOST SECRET
Senior Commanders only
By hand of Officer only
Imperial General Headquarters
Tokyo, October 1937

5 Copies

Copy Nº 3

seal%20of%20jap_zpswzxahctw.jpg

Imperial Directive Zero-2: for the Conduct of the War in Russia

1. Since the situation on the Far East border with the Soviet Union has become intolerable and represents a credible threat to our Empire and since all political possibilities of peaceful settlement have been exhausted, I have decided upon a solution by force.

2 The attack on the Russian Far East will be undertaken in accordance with the preparations made for 'Operation Winter Storm', with such variations as may be necessitated by the build-up of the Army, especially the Anti-Tank brigades, which is now virtually complete.

The strategic purpose of the operation remains unchanged: to deny the Soviet Union naval and commercial access to the Pacific Ocean and set a new land frontier between our States around Siberia. This strategy aims to eliminate the Soviet Union as a geopolitical rival in East Asia.

• Date of attack 1st January 1939

3. In the South it is important to leave the responsibility for opening hostilities unmistakably to the Republic of China. Minor violations of the frontier will be dealt with, for the time being, purely as local incidents. Only when We have driven deep into Russia and have secured our military position We shall declare war on China.

• Date of attack approx. late 1939 / early 1940

The Western frontier of China will not be crossed by land at any point without my explicit orders.

This applies also to all acts of warfare at sea or to acts which might be regarded, as such.

The assurances of neutrality given by us to Holland, France, the United Kingdom and the United States are to be meticulously observed.

Operation ''Winter Storm''

I) Imperial Far East Army Group commands two armies stationed in Manchukuo and is made up of 400,000 troops, 200,000 of whom are veterans from the Second-Sino Japanese war, the rest are freshly trained but well equipped recruits. The reason for the relatively low number of troops is because our intelligence estimates that the Soviets have the bulk of their armed forces in Europe and what is left at the border with Manchuria are second-rate and light forces.

One Army will invade Mongolia, Tannu Tuva and Sinkiang while at the same time, protecting the left flank of the other Army advancing through the Trans-Siberian Railway.

In the Home Islands, we have 4 Corps on standby numbering about 180,000 troops (one of the corps is an Anti-Tank column) ready to perform amphibious operations around Vladivostok with the purpose of encircling the Soviet Far Eastern Front, it being equivalent to a western Army Group.

II) The Imperial Navy will blockade the Soviet pacific ports and destroy the Soviet Pacific Fleet. It is very important to terminate their operational ability quickly, especially their submarine fleet, lest they sink many of our supply convoys and escorts.

Aircraft Carriers will be kept close to the coast to bombard military and infrastructure targets. Once the frontlines reach the interior of Russia, all CAGs must leave the carriers and rebase inland from where they can keep on flying bombing campaigns.

III) The Imperial Air Force shall serve as a heavy artillery unit and will be responsible for close air support and anti-armour operations. Interceptors shall provide air superiority to facilitate the movement of land troops.

IV) Case Han: once our military situation in Russia is secure, 400,000 veterans troops stationed in the border with China shall pour into the interior and conquer the rest of non-occupied China along with all of the warlord and satellite states.

Showa_shomei.svg_zpsf3vliqnz.png

Signed His Imperial Majesty

Imperial_Rescript_on_the_Termination_of_the_War3_zps2j0b1s6o.jpg

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Imperial Review on the preparations for Operation ''Winter Storm''

After Our victory against Nationalist and Communist China, Shanxi and the Kingdom of Siam in a three month lightning campaign, we have decided to rest, reorganize our forces and not engage in any military conflicts for the rest of 1937. We have also arranged a political truce with China. This will provide us with a entire year of operational freedom to prepare Our forces for a future conflict with the Soviet Union in 1939. Two out of three of our Imperial Armies will remain in China guarding the frontier. The third Army will be sent to the Mongolian border. A fourth Army will be recruited in Japan and deployed to the western Manchukuo-USSR border when they are done with basic training. In addition to those two Armies in Mongolia and Manchuria, We shall train three corps of amphibious troops to be fielded by our Empire.

Our Imperial domains in Asia:

total%20empire_zpsinpps10q.jpg

Imperial soldier overlooking our newly conquered lands in China from the ancient Great Wall.

jap%20troops%20in%20great%20wal_zps69fmfz7s.jpg

The year of 1937 and 1938 was quiet for this side of the world and there were no major events during this time. We just dedicated to the reorganization of our forces and the production of Anti-Armour batallions in preparation for the launch of Our offensive into the Russian Far east.

anti%20tank%20inf%20for%20ussr_zpstc8hkltj.jpg

Military Theatres in East Asia

HoI3_62_zps7vxaavyk.png

In Europe, the aggressiveness of the German state did not go unnoticed. Our military experts noted that the Sudetenland area annexed by the Germany after the Allied powers acquiesced, contained the outer defensive ring of Czechoslovakian fortifications, leaving this small European nation defenseless in case of future german aggression.

2%20munic%20treaty_zpsnm3faime.jpg

Map of Border Fortifications

czech%20forts_zps5svsdirs.jpg

We are deploying one of our three veteran Armies of China to the Mongolian border while another is being trained in Japan to be sent to northwestern Manchukuo.

3%20redeploy%20to%20mongolia_zps9ibqcygm.jpg

An Anti-Armour Corps, ready to be deployed during war.

4%20anti%20amor%20column%20in%20shangai_zpscfqd4s7k.jpg

War of the Worlds...coming soon.

6%20war%20of%20worlds%20news_zpslkcnjrnc.jpg

About 50,000 Imperial troops will support Manchurian forces around north Korea. We are actually counting on Manchukuo to hold the line and help trap the Soviets where the red arrow is.
8%20OOB%20korea_zpscm1g58pj.jpg

Imperial Order of Battle

HQ%20officer%20corps_zpswchdpzuj.jpg

Imperial Field Marshal and his Officer Corps in Manchuria.

I) Imperial Headquarters Russia

a) Imperial Far East Army Group:
  • 1) Imperial Army of Outer China
  • 2) Imperial Army of Manchuria
10%20OOB%20Manchuria_zpsmdno4bpm.jpg

While some parts of the world celebrate Christmas, we are secretly preparing our forces to the last detail. The Russian question will be settled once and for all!
Overview of the tactical landscape in Manchuria and surroundings. Notice how Manchukuo and its Army will be responsible for holding the entire northeastern front against the Soviets and will also act as a rearguard for our western Armies. God forbid they collapse or our entire rear will be exposed.
11%20christmas%20oob_zpsnrehrfrm.jpg

Imperial Order of Battle in China
I)Imperial Oriental Headquarters

a) Imperial East Asia Army Group :
  • 1) Imperial Army of Northern China
  • 2) Imperial Army of Eastern China
12%20oob%20china%20thretre_zpshjhad7ry.jpg

We have three Corps in Japan proper ready to perform amphibious landings in the Far East. We also have one more amphibious Corps stationed in China, specialized in Anti-Tank operations.
14%203%20corps%20ready%20standby_zps7hevuaj6.jpg

In total, around 400,000 troops are ready to take part in the conquest of the Russian Far East as of today. We also have about 180,000 rapid strike troops in Japan and China on standby to execute amphibious operations in Russia. In China alone we have another two Armies made up of 400,000 battle hardened soldiers guarding our borders. Lastly, our reserves in the Home Islands, Korea and our Pacific domains amounts to about 100,000 additional troops.

Herefore, the Review has concluded that the new organization and size of our armed forces fully satisfies the requirements for Operation ''Winter Storm''.

Approved by Imperial General Headquarters

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

IMPERIAL RESCRIPT

640px-Flag_of_the_Japanese_Emperor.svg_zpsvmakdez8.png

We, by the grace of heaven, Emperor of Japan, seated on a throne occupied by the same dynasty from time immemorial, do hereby make proclamation to all our loyal and brave subjects as follows:

'' We hereby declare war against the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. We command each and all of our competent authorities, in obedience to our wish, and with a view to the attainment of the national aim, to carry on hostilities by sea, air and land against Russia, with all the means at their disposal, consistently with the law of nations.

Over thirteen years have now elapsed since our accession to the throne. During this time we have consistently pursued a policy of peace, being deeply impressed with a sense of the undesirability of being in strained relations with other nations, and have always directed our officials diligently to endeavor to promote friendship with all the powers. Fortunately our intercourse with the nations has continued to increase in intimacy.

However, the national policy of the USSR in respect to the Orient has always aimed at the domination of Asia and the subjugation of her neighbors to its Will. For more than seven years Japan has resolutely resisted Russia's border aggressions, regardless of suffering and sacrifice, in order not only to maintain her national independence and freedom but also to uphold international law and justice and to promote world peace and human happiness.

Japan is a peace-loving nation. In taking up arms in self-defense, Japan entertained the hope that Russia might yet realise the futility of her plans of conquest. Throughout the struggle all the other powers have shown the utmost forbearance likewise in the hope that Russia might one day repent and mend her ways in the interest of peace in the entire Pacific region.

However this is not to be for We have been attacked by the USSR in the frontier in yet another incident. This latest act of aggression on the part of Russia lays bare her insatiable ambitions and has created a situation that no nation which believes in international good faith and human decency can tolerate.

Such conduct on the part of Russia is not only a direct injury to the rights and interests of this Empire, but also a menace to the permanent peace and tranquility of the Orient. Judging from her action, it must be concluded that Russia from the beginning has been bent upon sacrificing peace to the attainment of her sinister objects. In this situation, ardent as our wish is to promote the prestige of the country abroad by strictly peaceful methods, we find it impossible to avoid a formal declaration of war against the USSR. It is our earnest wish that by the loyalty and valor of our faithful subjects, peace may soon be permanently restored, and the glory of the empire be augmented and completed."

In witness whereof, we have hereunto set our hand and caused the Grand Seal of the Empire to be affixed at the Imperial Palace, Tokyo, this first day of the 1st month of the 13th year of Shōwa, corresponding to the 2,599nd year from the accession to the throne of Emperor Jimmu.

imperial%20seal_zpschetaa4w.png

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has delivered the Declaration of War to the USSR. We are effectively in war against the Comintern faction.

The Gates of Hell are now open!

15%20a%20declare%20war%20on%20ussr_zps40dxut0i.jpg

15%20war%20on%20ussr_zpswim6m3nh.jpg

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

His Majesty The Emperor, hereby orders the Execution of:

Operation ''Winter Storm''

hirohito%20order_zps4lyzcceh.jpg

"Duty is heavier than a mountain; death is lighter than a feather"

Imperial General Headquarters Grand War Plan

Imperial Far East Army Group, composed of 400,000 troops shall penetrate Mongolia and the western defenses in USSR-Manchukuo border. They must advance through the Trans-Siberian Railway until they reach the red dotted line to set up new defensive lines. At the same time, 180,000 troops must land around Vladivostok and to the north of it to encircle and annihilate the Soviet Far Eastern Front (Army Group). Our land forces will be supported by our air forces and some naval assets.
5%20OPLAN%20Winter%20Storm_zpslocwkwfm.jpg

A photo of a company of veteran soldiers about to march into war once again.

japan%20troops%20picture_zpspgj3btql.jpg

Inmediately after declaring war, Imperial troops started to pour into russian territory. A small flotilla was trapped and destroyed around Vladivostok.

16%201st%20naval%20battle%20vladivostok_zpsl1tw5qnx.jpg

Imperial Admiral and his flagship.

fleet%20admiral_zpsx3x9frar.jpg

Imperial 1st Battleship Fleet blockading Vladivostok

battleship%20fleet_zps9u227wa0.jpg

The considerable geographical, military and industrial size of the USSR has forced our politicians to turn the Japanese civilian economy into a war industry if we are to match our enemy's war effort. We cannot spare any mistakes or weaknesses in front of a potential military juggernaut.

17%20total%20eco%20mobi_zpsnald1fhl.jpg

Amphibious landings around Outer Manchuria.

18%201st%20landing%20vladivostok_zps0vaoxg6d.jpg

Our forces marching through a bombed out village in the Far East coast. Their objective is to link up with the Manchukuo army across the red arrow above and encircle the Soviets.

jap%20troops%20in%20rubble_zpsme7qj82u.jpg

Our Imperial Army of Outer China tasked with conquering Mongolia, Sinkiang and Tannu Tuva. Another function they have is to protect the left flank of the Imperial Army of Manchuria as they advance in parallel through the Trans-Siberian Railway.

19%20inasvion%20mongolia_zpsmbr9dqtp.jpg

Brave Mongolian soldiers defending their sacred lands. Alas, if only they were fighting in our Holy War by our side...

mongolian%20troops_zpsecnk3ijl.jpg

Here, the Army of Manchuria is seen driving forward along the TRSSR.

20%20trssr%20penetration_zpswg25pksd.jpg

Imperial troops advancing along the sides of the Trans-Siberian railway.

jap%20troops%20advance_zpsakwddcd8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
A week after the outbreak of war, We have landed behind a russian division in Sakhalin Island just as it was advancing to capture our territory. Now it is trapped and can only be destroyed.

21%20sakhalin%20invasion_zpsex0gjljx.jpg

Once again, a small flotilla has been intercepted and sunk by our Navy.

22%202nd%20battle%20of%20vladivitosko_zpsoz1bjmgf.jpg

Imperial 1st Carrier Task Force off the waters around Vladivostok. Below, Carrier Air Groups ready for take-off.

carrier%20jap_zpsqdlkydha.jpg

carrier%20planes_zpssfc2e5cs.jpg

Some amphibious troops landing behind the Soviet forces to cut them off from their supply and communication lines. If we hurry and manage to close the passage fast, all of the Soviet Army in the Far East will be destroyed in one single decisive blow.

23%20second%20landing%20of%20far%20east_zpstqeqzwfo.jpg

Imperial Submarine roaming around the northern Pacific waters.

SenTaka_zpsjjh0i8rt.jpg

Ten days after the war started, we have made some progress advancing from east to west in an attempt to cut off some divisions. The Soviets however have pushed the forces of Manchukuo out of their territory and now we have to push one more province than expected to encircle the communists.

24%20soviets%20step%20on%20manchuria_zpsjwgcyzc3.jpg

Soviet infantry supported by tanks has attacked the Army of Manchukuo and they have retreated to more defensible inner lines.

Khalkhin_Gol_Soviet_offensive_1939_zpsxgjjvqa5.jpg

Expecting a long war against the USSR, we have signed commercial treaties with the USA and other nations for oil.

25%20buying%20oil%20from%20usa_zpswvdzmbw1.jpg

After 3 weeks of conflict, we will land around Vladivostok and try to capture it.

26%20amphb%20landings%20around%20vlaidvostok_zpsgy6j0jkl.jpg

Imperial Battleship Nagato, flagship of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. Note the distinctive high pagoda-style mast.

ijn%20pagoda%20ship_zps4qtx5gfo.jpg

The Nagato with all her crew posing for a photograph

nagato_zpsrvkg04y0.jpg

Exactly one month after the war with the Soviets started, this is the progress We have made so far. Note the ring of death around Vladivostok, the main Soviet city in the Far East.

27%201st%20monthly%20progress_zpsn7jketae.jpg

Projected short term territorial gains in the north.

28%20projected%20short%20term%20gains_zpsedke56ks.jpg

The Siege of Vladivostok has started.

29%20siege%20of%20vladivostok_zpsqcwqmav9.jpg

Imperial troops during urban warfare in the streets of Vladivostok.

jap%20troops%20in%20russia_zpsqarrpucj.jpg

Anti-Tank divisions succesfully fighting Soviet armor.

30%20AT%20brigades_zpsf9d8mouw.jpg

A Soviet tank column camouflaged in Outer Manchuria.

camouflaged%20tank_zpszg5lqp8m.jpg

By the 17th of February we have managed to connect our amphibious troops with friendly Manchukuo forces and trapped some Soviet divisions. Also, Vladivostok has capitulated.

31%20%20closing%201st%20circle_zpsqz9eybjk.jpg

Two months since the conflict started, we have conquered Sakhalin Island and have met the objectives of encircling the Soviet Far Eastern Front. Now we just have to push them to the coast and destroy them there.

Here is a tactical overview of the military situation in Manchuria.
32%20a%20tactical%20closing%202nd%20circle_zpsvy4rrbsl.jpg

Some Imperial troops shouting Banzai in a captured soviet bunker.

Japanese_soldiers_at_Soviet_bunker_near_Vladivostok_MGS_zpshopytsjb.jpg

Strategic view of battlefield progress after second month of war.

33%20monthly%20progress_zpsn3ctavlz.jpg

Due to the respectable size our of Imperial Army, the Navy will be getting massive resources now. Pictured, four aircraft carriers being built to challenge Allied naval supremacy in the near future.
35%204%20carriers%20production_zpsmouciuzc.jpg

As was expected, Germany has finally absorbed the rest of the Czechoslovakian state. This action has provoked much tension in Europe and the United Kingdom has guaranteed to protect a possible victim of future german aggression, Poland. Within the following days, many european nations started to mobilize and with Europe distracted, Italy took this opportunity to quickly seize Albania.
36%20ger%20annex%20CZH%20UK%20garant%20POL_zpshulsoicu.jpg

37%20italy%20conquer%20albania_zpssgnagdel.jpg

38%20POL%20mobilizes_zpseraerfv8.jpg

39%20FRA%20mobilizes_zps4qus7dbi.jpg

Unmolested by these events, the Imperial Army kept on advancing and this was their progress by the third month of war. Notice how the Kamchatka Peninsula has been invaded and how close our armies are to Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia.
40%203rd%20motnhly%20progress_zps3emtb9zw.jpg

Imperial Marine carrying a wounded colleague through muddy soviet territory. Such is the self-sacrificial Spirit of our troops.

jap%20troop%20helps%20friend_zpsbgzwf8vh.jpg

On another note, the Imperial Navy is engaged in a cat and mouse game with the smaller Red Navy in the Pacific. They keep sinking our supply convoys and when we rush to engage them, they break off and dissappear. Pictured, the Navy has trapped another small communist flotilla.
41%20trap%20small%20Soviet%20flotilla_zpseyrlyrro.jpg

By the end of April, Australia has joined the Allies. This highly worries our Naval Chief of Staff because it represents a sealing off strategy for South East Asia by the western Imperial powers. We are now totally surrounded at sea by potential adversaries.

42%20AUST%20joins%20allies_zpsikyxeu7q.jpg

Good news! We have finally trapped and annihilated the Soviet Pacific Fleet. The Soviets sunk 2 Destroyers and 1 Light Cruiser. Now, without any bases in the Pacific Ocean, whatever is left of their naval assets must rebase to european Russia. This effectively means the end of Soviet naval harrasment and total operational mastery by our Navy in the Pacific.

43%20ussr%20fleet%20trapped_zpsklsslxby.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT PAGE...

Last edited:
Reactions: