• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vlad_Dracul1989

Time Lord
16 Badges
Jun 11, 2015
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Yt4hLbm.jpg

The victories over Russia and China, established Japan as the first great, modern, non-Western power in Asia. The Japanese leaders felt it was their duty to avenge the humiliation inflicted on Asia during the colonial period after the Opium War. Particularly the Russo-Japanese War halted European expansion into East Asia and provided an international structure for East Asia that brought some degree of stability to the region. It also changed the world from a European-centered world to one in which a new pole was emerging in Asia.

In the 1914-1918, during Great War, Japan was part of the Entente as a British ally, but played only a minor role, mostly in fighting German colonial forces in East Asia and protecting convoys, not just in Asia, but in Mediterranean Sea too. In late 1917, the Japanese government was alarmed to find that the British government, despite the Anglo-Japanese Alliance, had approached the United States about a possible joint intervention at Vladivostok against Bolsheviks, without consulting Japan. After the international coalition withdrew its forces, the Japanese Army stayed on. In March and April 1922, the Japanese Army repulsed large Bolshevik offensives, before final withdrawal. At the Versailles Peace Conference of 1919, Japan's proposal of "racial equality clause" to the covenant of the League of Nations was rejected by the United States, Britain and Australia. The Japanese media fully covered the progress of the conference, leading to an alienation of Japanese public opinion towards the United States of America. Makino Nobuaki, the career diplomat who headed the Japanese delegation, announced at a press conference:

"We are not too proud to fight but we are too proud to accept a place of admitted inferiority in dealing with one or more of the associated nations. We want nothing but simple justice."

Continuing shows of arrogance and racial discrimination towards the Japanese had plagued Japanese-Western relations since the forced opening of the country in the 1850s, and were again a major factor for further deterioration. In 1920s, Washington Naval Treaty created great controversy and conflict in high ranks of the Imperial Japanese Navy, between the Treaty Faction officers and their Fleet Faction opponents, who were also allied with the ultranationalists of the Imperial Japanese Army and civilian parts of the government. Unofficial terms of the treaty included the end of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance as well, because American delegates had made it clear they would not agree to the treaty unless Britain ended its alliance with the Japanese. In 1924, United States enforced the Exclusion Act that prohibited further immigration from Japan.

Emerging Chinese nationalism, the victory of the communists in Russia, and the growing presence of the United States in East Asia, all worked against Japan's postwar foreign policy interests. In addition, after Great War, Japan's economical situation worsened.

During the 1930s, the military established almost complete control over the government. Many political enemies with pro-western or leftist leanings were assassinated or executed, especially communists. Indoctrination and censorship in education and media were further intensified. Military officers from both Army and Navy soon occupied most of the key offices, including the one of the prime minister.

Empire of Japan, now alone, followed the example of Western nations only more than before, and forced China into unequal economical and political treaties. Furthermore, Japan's influence over Manchuria had been steadily growing since the end of the Russo-Japanese War. When the Nationalists began to seriously challenge Japan's position in Manchuria in 1931, the Kwantung Army invaded Manchuria. In the following year, "Manchukuo" was declared an independent state, controlled by the Kwantung Army through a puppet government.
In the same year, the Japanese air force bombarded Shanghai in order to protect Japanese residents from anti-Japanese movements.

In 1933, Japan withdrew from the League of Nations since she was heavily criticized for her actions in China:

GENEVA, Feb. 24, 1933 -- The Japanese delegation, defying world opinion, withdrew from the League of Nations Assembly today after the assembly had adopted a report blaming Japan for events in Manchuria.

The stunned international conclave, representing almost every nation on earth, sat in silence while the delegation, led by the dapper Yosuke Matsuoka, clad in black, walked from the hall. The crowded galleries broke into mingled hisses and applause.

"We are not coming back," Matsuoka said simply as he left the hall.

The session which made history, signifying the final break between the league and one of the world's major powers, was fairly brief and simple.

As the roll was called down the alphabetical list of nations, delegate after delegate voted for the resolution.
When China was called, there was a slight stir of expectancy and W. W. Yen, Chinese delegate, firmly answered:
"Yes."

Japan was called a few moments later.
Matsuoka's decisive "No." could be clearly heard in all parts of the hall.

"Japan will oppose any attempt at international control of Manchuria. It does not mean that we defy you, because Manchuria belongs to us by right. Read your history. We recovered Manchuria from Russia. We made it what it is today. We look into the gloom of the future and can see no certain gleam of light before us," Matsuoka declared.

In objecting to proposed international control of Manchuria, he asked,

"Would the American people agree to such control of the Panama Canal Zone; would the British permit it over Egypt? The Japanese people will oppose any such attempt in Manchuria. I beg of this body to realize the facts and see a vision of the future. I earnestly beg of you to deal with us on our terms, to give us your confidence."

After the assembly voter had been taken, Matsuoka announced "the Japanese government is obliged to feel that hey have now reached the limit of their endeavors to co-operate with the league regarding Sino-Japanese differences."

"Japan, however, finds it impossible to accept the report adopted by the assembly, and she has taken pains to point out that the recommendations in the report cannot be considered such as would secure peace in that part of the world."

Matsuoka looked very grim and determined when he left the assembly hall after his speech.

"That means the withdrawal of our delegation from the league. We can no longer co-operate on this question."

Matsuoka, his chief assistants, and the Japanese attaches immediately left the league building.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hey! loved your previous AARs, i was thinking of making an AAR myself with japan in TRP. But i was waiting for more event for japan. (i heard modders are working on it for the next update).

Anyway, i'm glad you'll make an AAR on this incredible mod. I'm too impatient to wait and see : Will you annex kwantung army at start or make the war in china with it ?

Hey! loved your previous AARs, i was thinking of making an AAR myself with japan in TRP. But i was waiting for more event for japan. (i heard modders are working on it for the next update).

Anyway, i'm glad you'll make an AAR on this incredible mod. I'm too impatient to wait and see : Will you annex kwantung army at start or make the war in china with it ?

that's why I wrote a few of them myself now :p what i understood, there are only two die-hard TRP guys, and they are mostly focused on crunch. fluff takes valuable time, and not everyone loves it.

always annexing.

btw. first chapter will be there in 24 hours. i had only a little time yesterday.
plan is to update it every week, in this case.

ZmKlpR8.jpg

Empire of Japan in for grow needed resources and Japanese people needed living space because of grow. But it was all still...amateurish in 1930s.

HO3b9Fa.jpg

Army's officers fabricated incident in Manchuria, not even properly done, hoping that Chinese will not resist much, as usually.
It was naive to think, that it will continue forever, so easily, and Chinese will fully accept their place.

mWpcfHX.png

TETJzbc.png

USSR, British Empire, USA...and now China. Threats grew everywhere. Fortunately, Japanese strength is already recognized by some of these arrogant Westerners.

ir4toYA.png

First of all, it was necessary to take full control of Kwantung Army: it became too independent in it's actions. Who knows what will happen if Tokyo would not control them. Unauthorised clash with Red Army? Japanese lives and honor lost for nothing?

PBWOjpj.png

Another step were necessary changes in the government, sometimes long-term ones.

aPVBLOZ.png

4F7ue7J.png

But it seemed that Emperor felt quite comfortable with His recent interventions: it was unthinkable to defy His will, particularly because there were too many factions fighting for their own interests in the name of Emperor, not realizing, that they are now under his control, whenever He felt such necessity.

LpoHU71.png

TrL5ize.png

H5GLydy.png

In addition, no one could deny, that whole world will be soon engulfed in flames of war. In Japan, it was felt inside and outside. Everywhere. It called for preparation more than any other time.

aRN62lp.png

zsRwKZA.png

Empire needed resources, but to get them, it needed both sufficient industrial powerbase and more powerful army than it posessed now. More factories, better infrastructures, upgraded divisions, new divisions - in this order.

aF6C9Bk.png

In Summer, 1937, full might of newly strengthened Imperial Japanese Army was released.

This time, there was a plan. First, attack the Chinese as hammer of gods, encircle, crush and destroy everything. Second phase, well...they already lost - simply because the Empire can't afford to lose, facing enemies much greater in the future.

SeSM38B.png

pCWKKyb.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
I wanted to write some tips yesterday during my work hours, but i got swamped by work:

- Japan gets a lot of annoying events that will not only be constantly changing your ministers all the way to '44, but they also shift your sliders and give you dissent, which can really cripple a good plan; ive had to shift supplies to my industry and to my dissent lowering to change back the ministers i get changed with constantly.

- This might sound counterproductive, but its better to finish the sino japanese war as soon as humanly possible. One or two big coastal encirclements and the AI will bite the dust. The sooner you conquer China and create a chinese puppet the better, since that gives you more time to prepare for the war against the US.

- Long term strategy wise, a puppet China will take over your duties of worrying about land conquests against the Raj and Burma; even Singapore will fall to them, with a little bit of your help. Also, if you havent already, i heavily suggest you annex the Kwangtung Army, as you can manage the army and resources they give much much better than they can. This gives you the chance to focus onto your real enemy, the US.

- No matter what, your main enemy is the US, and you should act accordingly: only one fleet with 5 marine divs is enough to conquer and puppet the dutch east indies as well as puppet the Philippines, saving you the trouble of actually having to, god forbid, garrison said places. The rest of your effort is up towards Pearl Harbor, as once it falls, you can control the pacific and the poorly defended US convoy routes; 3 months of hardcore NAV convoy raiding can destroy any chance of intervention by the US on any foreign theatre.

- If it goes with your plan, i heavily suggest you gather 150 land divs and conquer the US. With the new TRP version this is actually possible, as opposed to before. Keep encircling the americans no matter what, since they will produce dozens of ARM and MEC divs that can really make your units suffer if left to run rampant.

@Vlad_Dracul1989
It's starting already?!
Tennō Heika Banzai!

But really, what does your IC look like at this point? It seems TRP is fairly generous with Japan's IC, more so than the vanilla game anyway.

btw. first chapter will be there in 24 hours. i had only a little time yesterday.
plan is to update it every week, in this case.

Every week !! Awsome !! Good luck in china. I never managed to kill it before 1941 in this mod, maybe i should rework my production and tech focuses. What about yours ? will you focus on naval or air techs ?

I wanted to write some tips yesterday during my work hours, but i got swamped by work:

Do you have some tips about tech focus for japan in TRP ? The trees are so huge to complete !

Of course. Industry tech trees are essential for absolutely every country, so start with those. Naval techs are a MUST. Start to research early onto the CV and DD tech trees so you can start a serial run of 7 CV and at least 15 DD´s; the reason you order the extra CV (since you can only have 6 in a fleet plus 12 auxiliary vessels for screens) is in case it gets delayed by enemy spies. If a CV gets delayed that lengthens the deployment time by like 4 months or so, way too annoying. Focus on land doctrines and infantry, with a special focus every once in a while for marines (5 or 6 is a good number), and mountaineers for wars in both China and , hopefully, the US. Brigade your infantry, otherwise you will get butchered by enemy tanks and mec. Fighter and CAG research are a necessity: get both interceptors and Naval bombers, the single most OP unit in the game. Just remember to keep up with the air doctrines and technologies.

Last edited:
But really, what does your IC look like at this point? It seems TRP is fairly generous with Japan's IC, more so than the vanilla game anyway.

124 now, and my goal is more than 200 in 1945. it should be definitely greater than UK's.

Every week !! Awsome !! Good luck in china. I never managed to kill it before 1941 in this mod, maybe i should rework my production and tech focuses. What about yours ? will you focus on naval or air techs ?

Do you have some tips about tech focus for japan in TRP ? The trees are so huge to complete !

Naval techs are always more critical for Japan. In the moment United States will strike, IJN must be prepared as much as possible, modern ships, modern tactics.

I say there, that tech trees must be 'just' planned very carefully, to think twice, if you will use it so it's worth it: motorized/armored units obviously seems more like waste of time and resources for Japan - marines and mountaineers are much more useful, in China and elsewhere.

Keep encircling the americans no matter what, since they will produce dozens of ARM and MEC divs that can really make your units suffer if left to run rampant.

It's actually funny to let them - in my previous game, I destroyed so many transports with divisions, again and again...to see that Americans landed super-massive army in Papua, which I starved and crushed later. Australia was complete slaughterhouse too.

First time when I saw US having soviet-like losses.

qzKekUv.jpg

"First, the Marco Polo Bridge Incident had been an event orchestrated by the humiliated Chinese Communist Party, and it had also been the local Communists who expanded the conflict, based on the directive to ―stubbornly avoid localized resolutions and instead lead the way to full-scale conflict between China and Japan.
It had been Chiang Kai-shek‘s government who rebuffed the Japanese peace proposals amidst growing anti-Japanese sentiment and set the course for full scale war in Shanghai.

The war was something that had been entirely caused by China.

Afterward, Japan again proposed peace, but had been flatly refused. The onus for this is primarily on the Chinese. The result was that the war went on. No matter how one looks at it, calling that aggression is undeserved. According to international law the aggressor is the one making lawless attacks — even if it is within China‘s territory."
- Moteki Hiromichi, historian

Lloqbbo.jpg

Empire of Japan had watched the European powers dominating and colonising East Asia for decades. China, Japan's great neighbour, was carved up like a melon as Western powers established their spheres of influence on Chinese territory. After an amazingly short time, Japan was able to develop the economic and military strength to join this competition for dominance of the Asian mainland.
Japan defeated China in 1895 and Russia in 1905, in battles over who should dominate Korea. Japan joined the coalition against Germany in Great War, to control a portion of China and then conquered Manchuria in 1931 in an effort to secure a land area rich in raw materials.
The Japanese nation and its military, which controlled the government by the 1930s, felt that it then could, and should, control all of East Asia by military force, to protect the Empire against Europeans and Americans.

bq2ZDBl.jpg

Isolationist movement in United States was very strong and probably will be for many years to come, so the Empire doesn't need to worry about them. But only if Japan won't cross the point of no return one day.
In any case, 'China Incident' must be solved as quickly as possible.

8WbYhuA.jpg

Strategic plan what to do in China could be summarized into four words: Hammer, Sword and Spear.
First phase, the Hammer, was about moment of surprise and firepower: Imperial Japanese Army had uneasy task to secure whole Northern China and prepare best positions for Spring Offensive (start of Sword phase), but of course without any risk of exhausting IJA's divisions, which would allow even badly equipped Chinese forces to push the invaders back.

5m1oohc.jpg

To secure supply lines and to preserve IJA's offensive strength, two massive army groups crossed the borders. Army Group A, the larger one, attacked southern provinces.

cEZqupf.jpg

Army Group B, on the other hand, advanced to western provinces, to reach former Communist mountain strongholds, presumably still in chaos after destruction of CCP forces, which, ironically, helped the Empire.

GjvVMLI.jpg

In first weeks, both army groups continued their advances without encountering much resistance.

fRAtzC8.jpg

When Army Group A crossed Yellow River and cavalry then tried to reach Huaihe River and a coast to encircle large Chinese force, heavy resistance stopped them. For while. Fortunately, offensive capabilities were damaged just a little, and Japanese cavalry, in 1930s more like mounted infantry, continued to the coast.

6wppmWo.jpg

After more than a month, Northern China was in complete chaos, and Japanese forces started destruction of Chinese armies in first created pockets.

1tj1vsq.jpg

Japanese cavalry and engineer brigades in fast infantry divisions proved their worth once again, taking losses heavier than Chinese once again, which was still exception from the rule, however.

h76xDw8.jpg

Speed, equipment, firepower and moment of surprise still worked in IJA's favour. Whilst one Chinese army was forced to surrender, two more were encircled in the meantime.

1QQkMUS.jpg

First pockets in the Northern China were he easiest ones: poorly equipped and demoralized militia with almost no food and ammunition had never any chance.

W4gjsSC.jpg

In the end of August, Japanese reached Shanxi province and found unprotected way to China's interior, which caused quite a panic in Chongqing government, which later sent massive reinforcements to the mountains: which proved as a terrible strategic mistake.

oFTjtDX.jpg

Chinese forces, in shock from crushing Japanese attacks, were still surrendering, one by one.

tyXc8lR.jpg

Even Battle for Shandong Peninsula went better than IJA's High Command expected.

7zpxZBS.jpg

And this all was just a start.

rQX8OEW.jpg

No matter what Chinese tried in first weeks, they were already doomed.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's actually funny to let them - in my previous game, I destroyed so many transports with divisions, again and again...to see that Americans landed super-massive army in Papua, which I starved and crushed later. Australia was complete slaughterhouse too.

First time when I saw US having soviet-like losses.

Be careful though, im not talking about the US landings of failure, im talking about landing the US. If you so much as land a single militia division unto the unprotected coastline, they will get literally 15 to 20k of manpower, combined with their powerful industry means that your only chance of victory remains the encirclement; Japan has far too little manpower to successfully enforce an attritional win vs the americans. Also, it wont just be infantry and MOT, it will be the hard hitters. Oddly, they have a lot of paratroopers as well.

@Vlad_Dracul1989

Those encirclements are a thing of beauty! I guess i really underestimated how valuable cavalry can be to an early-game Japan, huh?

@Vlad_Dracul1989

Those encirclements are a thing of beauty! I guess i really underestimated how valuable cavalry can be to an early-game Japan, huh?

horrible infrastructure in china (and asia generally) makes cavalry/mounted infantry valuable indeed.
historically, USSR didn't disbanded cavalry divisions before 1955 and still in 1980s (!) there was cavalry regiment in central asia.

Japan has far too little manpower to successfully enforce an attritional win vs the americans.

better to have some nuke-pile to spare, then.

Nice AAR so far.:)

S2YfVBq.jpg

"The seas of the four directions—
all are born of one womb:
why, then, do the wind and waves rise in discord?"
- Emperor Meiji

8wkkLxj.jpg

At home, the Japanese armed forces were portrayed as benevolent crusaders striving to free Asia from European colonial domination. The military's control over almost every phase of Japanese life was by now complete, and opposition to its policies was tantamount to treason. The top military commanders enjoyed direct access to the Emperor, bypassing civilian authority completely.
On international scale, neither the Soviet Union nor the western powers wanted to be directly involved in war in China, and none of them was much interested in supplying money or goods in significant quantities. This gave the Imperial Japanese Army virtually a free hand to the eventual end of war.

ZXMD72j.gif

Knowing that National Revolutionary Army is still shattered by ongoing offensives and confident in their well-trained units, the Japanese didn't cared about creating any stable frontlines, continuing as deeply as possible into Chinese territory.

YMjOq5W.jpg

Frontlines remained thin, but were maintained easily, with enough reserves nearby to solve any difficulty, such as attempts to slow Japanese onslaught.

LA0AhMi.jpg

Meanwhile, first pocket with trapped Chinese forces was crushed.

RhKyHiw.jpg

With next one in the southeast, being fully secured afterwards.

CcAtHaD.jpg

Luckily, another pocket in mountainous Shanxi province followed, with much quicker results. Chinese, nominally under Chiang's command, surrendered in two days.

WHj5lhs.jpg

Shandong pocket was repeatedly pushed back, with NRA only delaying the inevitable, with a false hope it will help the rest of Nationalist army.

XbGd7Hj.jpg

Freed reinforcements from the north allowed the IJA to another offensive, with intention to trap and crush more Chinese divisions before winter, whilst surprise is still on Japanese side.

6D4wHw7.jpg

Shandong pocket, further reduced.

Kd5NsJ5.jpg

NRA's weakness surprised Japanese themselves.

fNpwXDr.gif

Once IJA's generals understood both strategic and tactical incompetence of NRA, they knew they may continue with attacks, without too many risks, including exhaustion of troops.

g2T2JK8.jpg

Victorious autumn, first autumn of the war.

RI3kbfO.jpg

In first weeks, Chinese endured heavy losses, and desperately tried to stop the war. Moment of surprise was lost, NRA will offer more resistance against the invaders in the future...but Northern China was lost already. Nothing could change that, especially not remnants of Northern forced in surrounded Shandong peninsula.

pUgRD8V.jpg

In the southwest, IJA's aggressive offensive in southwest ended in another victory.

XoxErgs.jpg

This caused shockwaves in rest of China, now clearly facing not any 'incident', but a real full-scale invasion with intention to conquer China, every part of it, no less, no more.

ZbAjHuZ.jpg

In October, 21st, 1937, IJA launched the last offensive against Nationalist forces in Shandong. They had nowhere to run now.

jgPNoSH.jpg

Japanese troops, still not exhausted since Marco Polo Bridge Incident, again encircled Chinese, which surrendered in three days.

yfiSuGm.jpg

First phase of the war almost came to an end. Better than expected end, as will be showed in another weeks.

ULbRgJ6.jpg

At the tactical level the Japanese recognized the following types of attack: the meeting engagement, the deliberate attack, and the pursuit.

In a typical meeting engagement the foe of the Japanese could expect sharp and aggressive attacks to the front, against key terrain features, and a flanking attack, which had the goal of cutting up the enemy into small bite, sized pockets.

The Japanese plan of deliberate attack would have been focused on securing its objectives without regard to casualties. The plan would have been bold, incorporating elements of surprise and deception.

The conduct of pursuit operations followed the pattern of most armies of the period though there was a marked focus on the total annihilation of the enemy through the use of vigorous and aggressive action by subordinate commanders.

fpNd9Si.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: