• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Progress: Managed to finish covering a century of Aragonese history. Two and four-fifths to go :p))

((Oh wow, I forgot anyone was still working on that stuff. I really appreciate that you're taking the time to go over all that. I see we had a lot of wars, but I suppose those are easiest to document when they have clear starting and ending dates. If you happen to notice any alliances we forged, that'd be handy to know. I know that when I get around to writing up an intro of some kind detailing our history, I'll need to detail Hispania's ties to the rest of Europe and how they all got there. I know we signed the alliance with France day one, but I haven't the foggiest when we become friends with Scandinavia or Austria, although the latter is less important because they won't be leaving much of an impact on the world anymore. :p Glad to see you noted when we vassalized Byzantium because I definitely will need to mention that in the history.

Are you actually writing up notes for the entire history of Hispania? I didn't expect one person to do all that, not that I'll say no to the much-needed help. :D))

((Oh wow, I forgot anyone was still working on that stuff. I really appreciate that you're taking the time to go over all that. I see we had a lot of wars, but I suppose those are easiest to document when they have clear starting and ending dates. If you happen to notice any alliances we forged, that'd be handy to know. I know that when I get around to writing up an intro of some kind detailing our history, I'll need to detail Hispania's ties to the rest of Europe and how they all got there. I know we signed the alliance with France day one, but I haven't the foggiest when we become friends with Scandinavia or Austria, although the latter is less important because they won't be leaving much of an impact on the world anymore. :p Glad to see you noted when we vassalized Byzantium because I definitely will need to mention that in the history.

Are you actually writing up notes for the entire history of Hispania? I didn't expect one person to do all that, not that I'll say no to the much-needed help. :D))
((I really love binge-reading AARs, that's it. Updated notes to v. 1.5.61.))

((Might be my fault. As a "semi-player" who only went to say hello during the gap years, I didn't expect my votes to interfere like this in the process. Sorry about that ;)))

((That was very good, for I have missed the last week and of course would have voted for Ferran ;).))

Arnau Faixòn's troublemaking didn't end with the catastrophy for the Assembly. As much as Joan would have liked him to be involved, the Assemblymen of the coup didn't trust him, far too radical for their taste of parliamentarism. The reorganized Partido Fénix didn't disband, even with no voice in the Cortz, but stayed partly official, partly an underground group. Arnau himself didn't fear the Regent. The tyrant had no cause to imprison or execute him, only that he had never ceased to be a well-known agitator, and he would gladly be a martyr for his ideals if he had to. Instead, he continued to fuel the rumours, anything to weaken Joan's grip. And then, the Crown Prince spoke...

Arnau's familiar loud voice gained the attention of a growing crowd on Valencia's marketplace. "People of Hispania! The tyrant will be quick to tell you that the matter has been dealt with now. All is good. Citizens - oh, no, that would be my words." He paused shortly, seeking the right thing to say. "Slaves! That's it. My fellow co-slaves of a mass-murderer!

Do you really believe one word of what has been said? Hasn't the recent past proved Joan's hold on the army, an army unable to fend off some far-away primitives as it is used solely to fight its own people? Did you see the Prince? As if he cowered in the dark corner of an oubliette, the torturer regent drawing closer with his instruments of terror, and the poor man begging for mercy, doing all the torturer wants? We witnessed an intimidated man. One dominated by the might of the other. Why did Ferran speak at all? Because alive and intimidated, he is worth more to Joan than dead. Then he can continue his regency until his death!

For what proves us that Pere is alive? Joan has only one reason to hide away our only rightful Emperor - that Pere is dead! For if he was alive, he could end all rumours quickly. I would only trust Ferran's word in other circumstances - if he was a man surrounded by the entire Hispanian army who swore him their absolute and unwavering loyalty! Not the army loyal to another man with conflicting interests!

People of Hispania, we must face the truth: We suffer a rule of tyranny. That I am still able to speak is only a mere oversight that will be remedied as soon as possible. The Emperor is dead, likely has been for years now! Our only way of taking part in government has been cut off! Joan all but wears the crown of his nephew, a nephew intimidated, unabele to speak freely! Is this our Hispania of tolerance? What made us flourish, the envy of the world? No. This is what made Hispania bankrupt! Making us sell our lands, lose our freedom to an incapable tyrant! Making us the laughing stock of the world!

Hispanians! Stop watching! Or soon we won't have the eyesight left to watch!"

After his correspondendence with the Regent, Henri felt confident about approaching the Crown Prince in order to learn more from it, learn what he wished to add during his speech before being cut off the Joan. And the the he'd get suspicious he could always say that it was a part of the investigation, as unlikly as it were for the Prince to be a port of and underground movements.

(( Requesting a roll to meet the Crown Prince. ))

After his correspondendence with the Regent, Henri felt confident about approaching the Crown Prince in order to learn more from it, learn what he wished to add during his speech before being cut off the Joan. And the the he'd get suspicious he could always say that it was a part of the investigation, as unlikly as it were for the Prince to be a port of and underground movements.

(( Requesting a roll to meet the Crown Prince. ))

The entire wing of the palace where the royal family lives is patrolled by a large retinue of guards, and they have been given orders not to allow anyone outside the royal family to pass through without the permission of the Regent. This is a precaution that has been in place since the attack on Emperor Pere's life, especially since the comatose Emperor still resides in that part of the palace. With guards blocking the way, the only methods of gaining entry are receiving permission from Joan or finding a way to sneak in. Either that or find a way to meet the Crown Prince outside the royal wing of the palace, although he has not shown signs of leaving his quarters since arriving.

((Private))

Princess Maria Luisa de Leon paced across the floor as her father explained.

"It worked," said Fernando, "Joan's given you access to Ferran."

Maria Luisa stopped pacing. "Good," she said, "Let's go to him right now."

"Are you sure about this, my dear?" said Fernando. "I can't trust Joan after what he's done."

"Don't worry, father," said Maria Luisa, "I'll be fine. I'll get in there, talk to Ferran, and get out again."

Fernando sighed. "You really want to see him again, do you?"

"If it helps us out," said Maria Luisa, "Relax, father, I'll be fine."

"If anything happens in there, I'm sending in your brother and the troops," said Fernando, "At the first sign of trouble, get out. Understand?"

Maria Luisa nodded.

---

((Also private))

A fancy carriage pulled up in front of the royal wing, surrounded by several guards on horseback. One attendant pulled open the door, helping Maria Luisa step out. The princess walked up to the door of the royal wing, where two guards stood. One of them said, "Papers, please."

"I am the Crown Princess," said Maria Luisa, "The Regent gave me permission to see the Prince."

The guards hesitated for a moment and then relented, pulling open the door. The princess walked inside, accompanied by two of her own bodyguards. The doors shut behind her.

((So what do I do now? Just wait? Or should I IC meeting Ferran as well?))

((Also private))

A fancy carriage pulled up in front of the royal wing, surrounded by several guards on horseback. One attendant pulled open the door, helping Maria Luisa step out. The princess walked up to the door of the royal wing, where two guards stood. One of them said, "Papers, please."

"I am the Crown Princess," said Maria Luisa, "The Regent gave me permission to see the Prince."

The guards hesitated for a moment and then relented, pulling open the door. The princess walked inside, accompanied by two of her own bodyguards. The doors shut behind her.

((So what do I do now? Just wait? Or should I IC meeting Ferran as well?))

((Private - zenphoenix))

Crown Prince Ferran was staring out the window at the gardens below when his wife entered the room. It took a moment for him to notice that someone else was in the room with him, and he nearly jumped when he heard her approach from behind. He turned around with an awkward jerkiness, having to grab at the window ledge to maintain his balance. Dark bags were clearly visible under his eyes as though he hadn't slept in days. He bolted over to his wife and embraced her, glancing behind her as he did at her bodyguards and the men guarding the door to his quarters. With a broad smile on his face, he held his wife close and said, "I'm so glad you came. The past few days have not been easy for me."

((You can take some liberties ICing with Ferran, but if the Princess Consort has questions for him I'll jump in and answer.))

((Private - Prince Ferran))

"Thank God you're alive!" said Maria Luisa. "We were all so worried about you, Father most of all."

She looked to her bodyguards. "Watch the doors. Make sure nobody else enters without me knowing."

The bodyguards nodded and walked away.

When they had moved a substantial distance away, Maria Luisa turned back to Ferran. "I don't think I have much time here, so let me make this quick. What's going on here? Why are you here? Why are you so tired?"

"My dear, the last few days have been hard on me," said Ferran, "But you're here now."

"No," said Maria Luisa, "I need to know. Why are they keeping you here? Why did they shut you up a few days ago? What were you going to say?"

Ferran hesitated again.

"Tell me, Ferran," said Maria Luisa, "It's okay. I'm here to help you. Tell me the truth."

((Private - Prince Ferran))

"Thank God you're alive!" said Maria Luisa. "We were all so worried about you, Father most of all."

She looked to her bodyguards. "Watch the doors. Make sure nobody else enters without me knowing."

The bodyguards nodded and walked away.

When they had moved a substantial distance away, Maria Luisa turned back to Ferran. "I don't think I have much time here, so let me make this quick. What's going on here? Why are you here? Why are you so tired?"

"My dear, the last few days have been hard on me," said Ferran, "But you're here now."

"No," said Maria Luisa, "I need to know. Why are they keeping you here? Why did they shut you up a few days ago? What were you going to say?"

Ferran hesitated again.

"Tell me, Ferran," said Maria Luisa, "It's okay. I'm here to help you. Tell me the truth."

((Private - zenphoenix))

"No one is keeping me here," Ferran said. "Or rather, no person is. I had a long conversation with my uncle, the Regent, and he told me it was best I stay in the capital just in case something happens to my father. As much as I'd rather stay out of politics, I can't ignore my birthright forever. So you could say duty keeps me here."

Ferran slumped down on the edge of his bed and beckoned for his wife to site beside him. "As for what I wanted to say that day, I'm afraid it's a complicated matter. It has to do with my father's condition. I know Joan wishes it be kept secret, and I understand his concern, but I am not fond of such deception. Perhaps it is for the best though."

Ferran glanced at the window before turning back to Maria. For a moment, he looked as though he was about to say more, but decided otherwise. He took in a deep breath and continued on a different train of thought. "There is something I must know though. Did my speech help? Are the people listening? I hate knowing that my father's condition is causing such problems. I truly wish he was able to rule again so that this could all be brought to an end."

"But enough of that," Ferran said, shifting closer to his wife. "How are the children? Are they well?"

((Seeing as I've neglected it for so long but it will probably be important going into the future, I decided that it's time to give Ferran and Maria children. They had a son in 1822 named Alfons (for obvious reasons) and a daughter in 1825 who I've tentatively named Maria after her mother, but you can feel free to rename her if you want. Assume they're both staying with family in Leon.))

((Private - zenphoenix))

"No one is keeping me here," Ferran said. "Or rather, no person is. I had a long conversation with my uncle, the Regent, and he told me it was best I stay in the capital just in case something happens to my father. As much as I'd rather stay out of politics, I can't ignore my birthright forever. So you could say duty keeps me here."

Ferran slumped down on the edge of his bed and beckoned for his wife to site beside him. "As for what I wanted to say that day, I'm afraid it's a complicated matter. It has to do with my father's condition. I know Joan wishes it be kept secret, and I understand his concern, but I am not fond of such deception. Perhaps it is for the best though."

Ferran glanced at the window before turning back to Maria. For a moment, he looked as though he was about to say more, but decided otherwise. He took in a deep breath and continued on a different train of thought. "There is something I must know though. Did my speech help? Are the people listening? I hate knowing that my father's condition is causing such problems. I truly wish he was able to rule again so that this could all be brought to an end."

"But enough of that," Ferran said, shifting closer to his wife. "How are the children? Are they well?"

((Seeing as I've neglected it for so long but it will probably be important going into the future, I decided that it's time to give Ferran and Maria children. They had a son in 1822 named Alfons (for obvious reasons) and a daughter in 1825 who I've tentatively named Maria after her mother, but you can feel free to rename her if you want. Assume they're both staying with family in Leon.))
"It is probably safer at Father's estate," said Maria Luisa, "He's fortified the mansion as much as possible, as he fears the worst. You can't trust Joan. He might try to kill you and claim the throne for himself. In Leon you would be truly safe and with me and the kids."

She sighed when Ferran refused to divulge what he wanted to say. "I can handle complicated matters. Whatever you said about your father's condition must be important. Tell me. I promise I will keep it a secret if need be."

When Ferran still didn't say a word, she decided to answer his other questions. "Your speech...had a very mixed reaction. Everybody listened, but many came to their own conclusions. Some think that Joan got to you and you're now his puppet. Others believe the Emperor is dead. I have heard rumors that radicals are conspiring to overthrow the monarchy. It appears your speech has divided the people even more. For the good of Hispania, the people must know the truth instead of coming up with alternative facts."

She sat down on the bed. "The children are well. They are safe with Father's people. Father's put them under armed guard, protected by soldiers he trusts. Alfons is doing well in his rhetoric classes, and Maria is impressing her tutors with her manners and etiquette. They have both made many friends, both commoner and noble. Both will grow into fine Hispanians."

She looked at Ferran. "Tell me, how's your father? How's the Emperor doing?"

"It is probably safer at Father's estate," said Maria Luisa, "He's fortified the mansion as much as possible, as he fears the worst. You can't trust Joan. He might try to kill you and claim the throne for himself. In Leon you would be truly safe and with me and the kids."

She sighed when Ferran refused to divulge what he wanted to say. "I can handle complicated matters. Whatever you said about your father's condition must be important. Tell me. I promise I will keep it a secret if need be."

When Ferran still didn't say a word, she decided to answer his other questions. "Your speech...had a very mixed reaction. Everybody listened, but many came to their own conclusions. Some think that Joan got to you and you're now his puppet. Others believe the Emperor is dead. I have heard rumors that radicals are conspiring to overthrow the monarchy. It appears your speech has divided the people even more. For the good of Hispania, the people must know the truth instead of coming up with alternative facts."

She sat down on the bed. "The children are well. They are safe with Father's people. Father's put them under armed guard, protected by soldiers he trusts. Alfons is doing well in his rhetoric classes, and Maria is impressing her tutors with her manners and etiquette. They have both made many friends, both commoner and noble. Both will grow into fine Hispanians."

She looked at Ferran. "Tell me, how's your father? How's the Emperor doing?"

((Private - zenphoenix))

"Kill me?" Ferran said somewhat shocked. "I know everyone thinks ill of my uncle, but I doubt he'd ever go that far. Even so, my death would serve no purpose. My father would still be Emperor and he still Regent."

Ferran spent a moment in deep thought, his wife waiting for his reply. Talking about his father was difficult for him, especially since Ferran had done his best to avoid seeing his father since the assassination attempt. The rumours about his father being dead aggravated him, but was the truth any better?

"The Emperor is alive, no matter what the rumours say. I did not lie about that for Joan, despite any claims that he forced me to say so. His condition is just... complicated." He paused for a moment, biting at his lower lip.

"It's not easy to talk about, but I know you mean well. God, I just wish I had my old father back." The Crown Prince rubbed at his eyes, wiping away half-formed tears. "Do you know what it's like to have your father look at you and see you only as a stranger?"

((Private - zenphoenix))

"Kill me?" Ferran said somewhat shocked. "I know everyone thinks ill of my uncle, but I doubt he'd ever go that far. Even so, my death would serve no purpose. My father would still be Emperor and he still Regent."

Ferran spent a moment in deep thought, his wife waiting for his reply. Talking about his father was difficult for him, especially since Ferran had done his best to avoid seeing his father since the assassination attempt. The rumours about his father being dead aggravated him, but was the truth any better?

"The Emperor is alive, no matter what the rumours say. I did not lie about that for Joan, despite any claims that he forced me to say so. His condition is just... complicated." He paused for a moment, biting at his lower lip.

"It's not easy to talk about, but I know you mean well. God, I just wish I had my old father back." The Crown Prince rubbed at his eyes, wiping away half-formed tears. "Do you know what it's like to have your father look at you and see you only as a stranger?"
"Your death would serve to eliminate the last man capable of challenging his rule," said Maria, "Then he could arrange for the Emperor to 'have an accident' and then declare himself Emperor. You being here only makes things easier for him."

She was glad that Ferran insisted the Emperor was still alive, but then she caught the last sentence. "What do you mean he sees you only as a stranger? Has he come out of his coma?"

"Your death would serve to eliminate the last man capable of challenging his rule," said Maria, "Then he could arrange for the Emperor to 'have an accident' and then declare himself Emperor. You being here only makes things easier for him."

She was glad that Ferran insisted the Emperor was still alive, but then she caught the last sentence. "What do you mean he sees you only as a stranger? Has he come out of his coma?"

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I doubt my death would accomplish such a thing," Ferran said, still in doubt. "There is still my brother and our son in his way, although I have not heard from Jaume in quite some time."

The Crown Prince's eyes widened as he realized what he had left slip. He nervously glanced towards the door before continuing to speak in a hushed whisper. "Please don't tell anyone I said that. Joan would not be happy if anyone found out the truth."

Now that he let that little fact slip, he knew he had no choice but to speak the truth, otherwise his wife would persist and potentially cause trouble. He didn't want to earn Joan's ire in the process. He let out a deep sigh and prepared to unveil the truth.

"My father is not in a coma," Ferran said, feeling a deep weight lift off of him with those words. "Joan told me the Emperor woke up from his coma a few months after the attempt on his life, but he was not the same man we remembered. I did not believe him at first, but then he took me to see him."

Ferran took a moment to regain his composure. The encounter with his father flooded back to him and he struggled not to cry. "My father is alive, but he is not the father I remember. He is not aware of the world around him. When Joan took me to him, he did not recognize me and had no recollection of any of our moments together. Joan suspects that bullet to the head did something to him, leaving him a bumbling idiot with no memories."

"You must understand, I did not know the truth of my father's condition until a few days ago. Joan has been keeping it a secret for years. He says it was best that everyone think the Emperor is still in a coma, for if they knew the truth my father would become the laughing stock of Europe, an old man with the mind of an infant. Part of me wanted to tell the truth, and that was what I was going to do when addressing that crowd, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with Joan. Perhaps it is better everyone thinks my father slumbers in a coma. Either way, he is unfit to rule. Nothing changes. Better that then everyone see him in the actual condition he is in."

((Dementia? Amnesia? Or maybe he's lost his mind?))

((Something like that. Had to come up with something since everyone kept pointing out how fishy a decade-long coma is. :p))

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I doubt my death would accomplish such a thing," Ferran said, still in doubt. "There is still my brother and our son in his way, although I have not heard from Jaume in quite some time."

The Crown Prince's eyes widened as he realized what he had left slip. He nervously glanced towards the door before continuing to speak in a hushed whisper. "Please don't tell anyone I said that. Joan would not be happy if anyone found out the truth."

Now that he let that little fact slip, he knew he had no choice but to speak the truth, otherwise his wife would persist and potentially cause trouble. He didn't want to earn Joan's ire in the process. He let out a deep sigh and prepared to unveil the truth.

"My father is not in a coma," Ferran said, feeling a deep weight lift off of him with those words. "Joan told me the Emperor woke up from his coma a few months after the attempt on his life, but he was not the same man we remembered. I did not believe him at first, but then he took me to see him."

Ferran took a moment to regain his composure. The encounter with his father flooded back to him and he struggled not to cry. "My father is alive, but he is not the father I remember. He is not aware of the world around him. When Joan took me to him, he did not recognize me and had no recollection of any of our moments together. Joan suspects that bullet to the head did something to him, leaving him a bumbling idiot with no memories."

"You must understand, I did not know the truth of my father's condition until a few days ago. Joan has been keeping it a secret for years. He says it was best that everyone think the Emperor is still in a coma, for if they knew the truth my father would become the laughing stock of Europe, an old man with the mind of an infant. Part of me wanted to tell the truth, and that was what I was going to do when addressing that crowd, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with Joan. Perhaps it is better everyone thinks my father slumbers in a coma. Either way, he is unfit to rule. Nothing changes. Better that then everyone see him in the actual condition he is in."

((Something like that. Had to come up with something since everyone kept pointing out how fishy a decade-long coma is. :p))
((Private))
Maria Luisa's eyes widened in shock as Ferran told her the truth. "It is even worse than we expected," she said, "The Emperor is alive but oblivious?"

Ferran nodded. "Yes, sadly."

"What a horrible fate!" she exclaimed. "To forget himself, to forget his family!"

She held back some tears. "Now I know why you kept that from the public. He would be a laughingstock. He would destabilize the Empire beyond saving. Holding back the truth did prevent that from happening, but it allowed other unfortunate events to happen."

She composed herself again. "This is Joan's greatest opportunity. He can use this fact to stay in power for years to come, and nobody would be able to tell the truth out of fear of causing humiliation and panic."

"So what do you suggest we do, then?" said Ferran.

"Joan must go," said Maria Luisa, "He's breaking the law right now."

"He most certainly is not," said Ferran, "The Emperor is incapable of carrying out his duties, therefore a regent is necessary."

"But look what Joan's done!" said Maria Luisa. "Destroying the Parliament, abolishing the Assembly, purging the Cortz, cancelling elections...he's slowly removing any challenge to his authority. He intends to rule with an iron fist, undo everything we've done for the last few decades. And should you, Jaume, and the Emperor all suddenly die, he would be in a position to declare himself emperor. It is well within his power to do so."

"But the crown will pass to our son," said Ferran.

"Even if that happens, he'll still be regent for our son," said Maria Luisa, "Ensuring he remains in power for years to come."

"But removing him now would be disastrous," said Ferran, "He's the only person holding the Empire together. If we remove him, everything could fall apart."

"It's either that or Joan consolidates power even more, and we risk open revolution when the people cannot take it anymore, in which case everything still falls apart," said Maria Luisa, "Joan must go, and we must restore the Parliament and the institutions he dismantled to maintain order."

"But I can't tell them the Emperor has lost his mind!" said Ferran. "That's going to be even worse!"

"There is another way," said Maria Luisa, "Get the Emperor to sign an abdication order. Tell the people he has recovered--not mentioning his condition--and is abdicating in your favor. Joan will have no choice but to step down immediately. A crisis will be averted, and then you can restore order."

((Private))
Maria Luisa's eyes widened in shock as Ferran told her the truth. "It is even worse than we expected," she said, "The Emperor is alive but oblivious?"

Ferran nodded. "Yes, sadly."

"What a horrible fate!" she exclaimed. "To forget himself, to forget his family!"

She held back some tears. "Now I know why you kept that from the public. He would be a laughingstock. He would destabilize the Empire beyond saving. Holding back the truth did prevent that from happening, but it allowed other unfortunate events to happen."

She composed herself again. "This is Joan's greatest opportunity. He can use this fact to stay in power for years to come, and nobody would be able to tell the truth out of fear of causing humiliation and panic."

"So what do you suggest we do, then?" said Ferran.

"Joan must go," said Maria Luisa, "He's breaking the law right now."

"He most certainly is not," said Ferran, "The Emperor is incapable of carrying out his duties, therefore a regent is necessary."

"But look what Joan's done!" said Maria Luisa. "Destroying the Parliament, abolishing the Assembly, purging the Cortz, cancelling elections...he's slowly removing any challenge to his authority. He intends to rule with an iron fist, undo everything we've done for the last few decades. And should you, Jaume, and the Emperor all suddenly die, he would be in a position to declare himself emperor. It is well within his power to do so."

"But the crown will pass to our son," said Ferran.

"Even if that happens, he'll still be regent for our son," said Maria Luisa, "Ensuring he remains in power for years to come."

"But removing him now would be disastrous," said Ferran, "He's the only person holding the Empire together. If we remove him, everything could fall apart."

"It's either that or Joan consolidates power even more, and we risk open revolution when the people cannot take it anymore, in which case everything still falls apart," said Maria Luisa, "Joan must go, and we must restore the Parliament and the institutions he dismantled to maintain order."

"But I can't tell them the Emperor has lost his mind!" said Ferran. "That's going to be even worse!"

"There is another way," said Maria Luisa, "Get the Emperor to sign an abdication order. Tell the people he has recovered--not mentioning his condition--and is abdicating in your favor. Joan will have no choice but to step down immediately. A crisis will be averted, and then you can restore order."

((Private - zenphoenix))

Ferran shook his head, already seeing the flaw in this plan. "Would not people question how a comatose Emperor signed an abdication order? Either it would reveal that the Emperor is alive and eventually lead to the discovery of his condition or everyone would believe it is false. Even if people didn't choose to investigate, Joan just has to reveal the truth and the abdication order becomes invalid with Joan set as Regent as long as my father lives."

The idea of defying his uncle terrified Ferran. He was not suited for such a task. He had never desired power or wanted to be involved in such a political mess, yet here he was being thrust right into the middle of it. Going along with things would be much easier, and when the time came he would do what he needed to do. The question was if the time was now or later.

"I am not certain we should go against Joan," Ferran said after much hesitation. "His methods are harsher than most rulers Hispania has had, but we have faced such tumultuous times as of late. We must not forget that many of the things he did, he did with the approval of Parliament, at least up until he dismissed the Assembly and abolished elections. When he did disband the Assembly, he only did it after many of its members attempted to bring down the regency. I do not agree with his decision, but at least I understand where it came from. I do not think things are too far gone. Perhaps I can reason with him, attempt to make him moderate his approach as things calm down. It would surely stabilize things if we both work together instead of allowing others to use me as some symbol to represent their discontent with the Regent."

((Private - zenphoenix))

Ferran shook his head, already seeing the flaw in this plan. "Would not people question how a comatose Emperor signed an abdication order? Either it would reveal that the Emperor is alive and eventually lead to the discovery of his condition or everyone would believe it is false. Even if people didn't choose to investigate, Joan just has to reveal the truth and the abdication order becomes invalid with Joan set as Regent as long as my father lives."

The idea of defying his uncle terrified Ferran. He was not suited for such a task. He had never desired power or wanted to be involved in such a political mess, yet here he was being thrust right into the middle of it. Going along with things would be much easier, and when the time came he would do what he needed to do. The question was if the time was now or later.

"I am not certain we should go against Joan," Ferran said after much hesitation. "His methods are harsher than most rulers Hispania has had, but we have faced such tumultuous times as of late. We must not forget that many of the things he did, he did with the approval of Parliament, at least up until he dismissed the Assembly and abolished elections. When he did disband the Assembly, he only did it after many of its members attempted to bring down the regency. I do not agree with his decision, but at least I understand where it came from. I do not think things are too far gone. Perhaps I can reason with him, attempt to make him moderate his approach as things calm down. It would surely stabilize things if we both work together instead of allowing others to use me as some symbol to represent their discontent with the Regent."
((Private))

"We tell them that the Emperor came out of his coma recently," explained Maria Luisa, "And that when he did so, he was so worried that his condition might return that he decided to abdicate in your favor. What we can do is prewrite or print an abdication edict and have the Emperor sign it; that should be easy. His signature would make it official. We present it to the government--or what remains of it--and announce it to the people before Joan has a chance to respond. They'll think the Emperor was sane and capable when he did so and thus will support the move. Any attempt by Joan to say otherwise would only show the people he is trying to stay in power illegally and thus destroy his credibility. Then we can retire your father to an estate in the countryside, far from Joan's grip, where nobody will find out the truth. Ferran, we can't just sit here and wait things out. Then it will be too late by then. We need to act now and save Hispania."

((Private))

"We tell them that the Emperor came out of his coma recently," explained Maria Luisa, "And that when he did so, he was so worried that his condition might return that he decided to abdicate in your favor. What we can do is prewrite or print an abdication edict and have the Emperor sign it; that should be easy. His signature would make it official. We present it to the government--or what remains of it--and announce it to the people before Joan has a chance to respond. They'll think the Emperor was sane and capable when he did so and thus will support the move. Any attempt by Joan to say otherwise would only show the people he is trying to stay in power illegally and thus destroy his credibility. Then we can retire your father to an estate in the countryside, far from Joan's grip, where nobody will find out the truth. Ferran, we can't just sit here and wait things out. Then it will be too late by then. We need to act now and save Hispania."

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I will not use my father as some pawn in this game of politics," Ferran said adamantly. "Regardless of whether the Emperor signs an abdication order or not, there will always be doubt whether it was legitimate or not. Simply because we say he was of right mind at the time does not make it so, and the proof lies in my father's condition. If anything, it will only look like a power play by a desperate heir to steal the throne early, a fact I'm certain Joan will not overlook. I won't have any part of that."

"I still think I can do better working with Joan than against him. He cannot simply ignore me, seeing as I am heir to the throne, and whether he likes it or not I will be Emperor when my father dies. I doubt even he would dare strike at me, for recent events have only drawn attention to me. If I were to die, there is no doubt where the blame would end up being placed. In the end, time works against the Regent. He has to accept the inevitability that the regency will end and his best chance of being relevant at all when it does is working alongside the future Emperor."

Ferran gently grasped Maria's hands, pleading with her with his eyes. "I know you mean well, but please do not ask me to take advantage of my own father. Even if he would not understand what happened, I would and I would never be able to live with myself if I took the title of Emperor from him in his current condition."

((Private - zenphoenix))

"I will not use my father as some pawn in this game of politics," Ferran said adamantly. "Regardless of whether the Emperor signs an abdication order or not, there will always be doubt whether it was legitimate or not. Simply because we say he was of right mind at the time does not make it so, and the proof lies in my father's condition. If anything, it will only look like a power play by a desperate heir to steal the throne early, a fact I'm certain Joan will not overlook. I won't have any part of that."

"I still think I can do better working with Joan than against him. He cannot simply ignore me, seeing as I am heir to the throne, and whether he likes it or not I will be Emperor when my father dies. I doubt even he would dare strike at me, for recent events have only drawn attention to me. If I were to die, there is no doubt where the blame would end up being placed. In the end, time works against the Regent. He has to accept the inevitability that the regency will end and his best chance of being relevant at all when it does is working alongside the future Emperor."

Ferran gently grasped Maria's hands, pleading with her with his eyes. "I know you mean well, but please do not ask me to take advantage of my own father. Even if he would not understand what happened, I would and I would never be able to live with myself if I took the title of Emperor from him in his current condition."
((Private))

Maria Luisa nodded. "I understand," she said, "Perhaps you are right. Perhaps there is a better way to do things. I apologize for what I suggested earlier. It was not right to suggest that course of action."

She smiled. "Maybe there is another way. Is it possible to reason with Joan, get him to reinstate the Assembly and elections? Many see him as a tyrant and would not hesitate to rise up against him if given the chance. We must take away any reason for them to rebel. Please, at least convince Joan to moderate his future actions, for the good of all of us. Or come with me back to Leon, where you'll be safe."