• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((French Colonial Conflict:
1. Let the colonies handle it
2. Exchange Nuevo Leon for Terre Australe
3. Give up both Hispanian colonies
4. Demand both French colonies
5. Exchange Nueva Sicilia for French La Plata
(GOLD!!!)
Byzantium's Offer:
1. Refuse offer
2. Accept offer
Chinese Rebellion:
1. Invade Ming
2. Crush rebellion
3. Hand over land to Ming
(an army that isn't home...)
Parliamentary Reform:
1. Present constitution
2. Push for reform
3. Trust in the royal prerogative
(... can't bully the people.)

Army Recruitment:
Institute Draft: No
Recruit Colonial Subjects: Yes
Provide Financial Incentives: Yes
Downsize Army: Yes))

French Colonial Conflict:
1. Let the colonies handle it
2. Demand both French colonies
3. Exchange Nueva Sicilia for French La Plata
4. Exchange Nuevo Leon for Terre Australe
5. Give up both Hispanian colonies
Byzantium's Offer:
1. Refuse offer
2. Accept offer
Chinese Rebellion:
1. Invade Ming
2. Crush rebellion
Parliamentary Reform:
1. Push for reform
2. Present constitution
3.Trust in the royal prerogative

Army Recruitment:
Downsize Army: Yes

((Sorry, I totally forgot about this iAAR, had to learn on classtests:/. May i come back when the "gap years" ended?))

((At that point it'll be a new iAAR, so anyone can join. You can technically still participate in these gap year votes if you want. :)))

1. Exchange Nueva Sicilia for French La Plata
2. Let the colonies handle it
3. Exchange Nuevo Leon for Terre Australe
5. Give up both Hispanian colonies
Byzantium's Offer:
1. Accept offer
2. Refuse offer
((Gotta get that money to finance Hispania.))
Chinese Rebellion:
1. Crush rebellion
2. Hand over land to Ming
3. Invade Ming
Parliamentary Reform:
1.Trust in the royal prerogative
2. Push for reform
3. Present constitution
Army Recruitment:
Downsize Army: No

(Now is the time for my Stability Buff)

3. Give up both Hispanian colonies
5. Let the colonies handle it

((A fair deal can be made here and I confess I'd like to see an all-blue Australia or a blue Argentina on the map - is it because I'm French ?))

Byzantium's Offer:
1. Accept offer
2. Refuse offer

((A wise one. Athens will always belong to the Greeks.))

Chinese Rebellion:
1. Crush rebellion
2. Hand over land to Ming
3. Invade Ming

((Let's see if some basic repression is enough to make things calm down. Otherwise, it will be time to consider getting rid of another source of trouble))

Parliamentary Reform:
1.Trust in the royal prerogative
2. Push for reform
3. Present constitution

((While I would be in favor of a constitution, I'm afraid that in the current situation and with Joan's authoritarian tendencies, it could lead straight to civil war))

Army Recruitment:
Institute Draft: Yes
Provide Financial Incentives: No

((To reduce the number of theaters where the army has to intervene, by giving away more remote lands and potential spots of breakaway riots to other countries who claim them, would also be a good way to deal with the military issue ;)))

((It took forever after all my procrastinating, but I have the basic rules drafted up. Feel free to read over them and provide any suggestions. Some of it is still quite a mess and I'm unsure about it. It's very difficult having to account for all the possibilities that could happen in Victoria II, especially when it comes to the government. I'll make note of anything of interest and point out major changes.

Rules

1. Be respectful to the GM and your fellow players. The goal here is to have fun and being disrespectful to others ruins that.

2. Follow the forum rules. This is self-explanatory and should be followed without question.

3. Everyone is allowed only one active character at a time. You may make use of alternate characters if you wish, but they shall not be permitted to vote.

4. No playing God. This means you cannot control other people’s characters or go against the decisions of the GM. You also cannot have your character do or be anything too unreasonable. For example, you can be a claimant to a foreign county, but you can't make yourself heir to the French throne. You could be a wealthy merchant with a luxurious home, but not one with 10,000 ships at your command and with more ducats than in all the treasuries in Western Europe. Try to be reasonable with your character's background and actions.

5. All non-character chatter should be in parentheses like so: ((Random chatter here)). This is to avoid mixing up OOC comments with in-character ones.

6. If you wish to post anything that only pertains to certain characters or is to be withheld from the others, put ((private)) or ((secret)) before your post. To further keep it private, I recommend placing all private posts in spoilers.

7. To make the GM’s jobs easier, please include your character’s name and class in either your post or signature. This helps me keep track of who everyone is and how to take their comments into consideration.

8. Please bold all votes for clarity.

9. If you wish to change your vote, make a new post that clearly says you’ve changed your vote, otherwise your vote may be declared void. Quoting your old post or explicitly stating what is being changed to what usually works best.

10. Post your votes only in this thread. Voting through PMs or in chatrooms only makes things more complicated for me.

11. The GM’s word is law and I reserve the right to veto anything. If you do have concerns or questions about something though, feel free to voice them.

12. Have fun!

The turn sequence has been updated to better suit Vicky 2, as well as account for elections, but is pretty much the same format.

Turn Sequence

For those unfamiliar with an iAAR, this is how the average turn will progress:

1. I will play for roughly 1-5 years, or a specific time based on an existing election cycle. The time may change depending on what occurs in-game or if a war is going on. I will do my best to carry out any minister’s plans.

2. If any event occurs that requires immediate player consultation, I will stop the game and post about the event. This will usually involve a vote of some sort or the action of a minister.

3. Once the gameplay is done, I will post an update of that time period.

4. If we reached the end of an election cycle, players will vote for their parties in an election and new compositions for any houses shall be determined. A new government will then form if necessary.

5. All ministers will post any changes to the plans for their ministry. If nothing is posted, it is assumed that the plan has not changed, although posting nothing for multiple turns may warrant replacement. Players may also present laws or proposals. These must be presented before the vote for such things to be considered. Feel free to roleplay to your heart’s content here.

6. A vote will be held for any issues that have arisen that require player consultation. Players should not propose any laws at this time.

7. Once all votes and plans are finished and all issues presented have been dealt with, I will recommence playing.

This is the first section that's been given a facelift. I've changed the classes to better represent the POPs in Vicky 2 and fit the franchise laws. It's not that big of a difference, but will still have a major impact.

Classes

There are three classes in this iAAR: upper, middle, and lower. These correspond to the various POPs in Victoria II. In this iAAR, class mostly impacts voting power and what house a player may serve in. I’ll give a better description anyway, as well as include sub-classes for each one. It should be noted that players are free to make characters of any class and try them all out with new characters.

Upper Class – The aristocracy and capitalists of Hispania. All nobles start out as small landholders, such as counts, or unlanded nobles, but may be granted a title to more land later. This restriction is in place so that noble families from the EUIV portion are naturally more powerful than new ones. Landed nobles receive the distinction of being able to serve on the Cortz d’Hispania, while unlanded nobles must participate in government by other means. Capitalists are the richest of businessmen. They may build factories and generally serve as the successors of those who ran trading companies in the EUIV era.
Sub-classes: Aristocrat, Capitalist, etc.

Middle Class – This is a broad category consisting of white collar workers and mostly those with money or property that separates them from the lower classes. Artisans are independent craftsmen, businessmen, or merchants. Bureaucrats are government employees. Clergy are men of the cloth, serving one faith or another. Clergy may become cardinals if Catholic, or even the Pope. Players of other Christian faiths follow a similar method of promotion within their own churches. If a player becomes the Pope, they are granted the power to excommunicate other Catholic players. Clerks are pretty much bureaucrats working for someone other than the government and are typical white collar workers. Officers are generals and other professionals within the army or navy. Officers may serve as generals or admirals in-game. If in doubt, any person with money or property who are not the elite of society fit in this category.
Sub-classes: Artisan, Bureaucrat, Clergy, Clerk, Officer, etc.

Lower Class – Essentially everyone else not already mentioned. Craftsmen or workers serve in factories. Farmers work the land and may own their own plots. Labourers do the manual labour for jobs outside factories. Slaves are those rare few without rights and treated as property. Soldiers are men serving within the common ranks of the army or navy. For those categories not mentioned, any person generally seen as a blue collar worker and who has little to no property or money falls in this class.
Sub-classes: Craftsmen, Farmers, Labourers, Slaves, Soldiers, etc.

This section is pretty much the same. I've just changed it to fit with how leaders are shown in-game, since we don't have pips anymore.

Leaders

Leaders are members of the military, either army or navy, who have risen up in the ranks high enough to be placed in charge of an army or fleet. Only characters with military experience (ex. soldiers or officers) can become leaders, so a character must have graduated from the military academy to be considered. Players may choose to make non-active characters that can serve in the military, but only one can exist per person. Leaders are promoted by the appropriate member of Cabinet. They also receive a bonus +2VP.

When a character becomes a general or admiral, they must choose a background and personality that fits their character. While you may choose any you want, I highly recommend you picks ones that seem logical for your character. If I feel that a player has picked a background or personality unbefitting for their character just because it gives good stats, I will pick new ones. You can find a list of possible choices here.

Here are the current ranks that will be represented in-game for the army and navy:

Field Marshal - The Minister of War (if he is a leader) and his chosen assistant
Captain General
Lieutenant General

Grand Admiral – Only appointed during major conflicts to command entire theatres
Fleet Admiral - The Minister of the navy (if he is a leader) and his chosen assistant
Admiral
Vice Admiral

Probably the messiest and most complex section simply because of all the changes I've implemented. There are a lot of new things going on with VP. With VP mostly being used to influence inter-party votes, it may not seem as balanced as before, since I wanted the more important characters to have noticeably more influence. Elections use VP differently to make things more fair. It's mostly the different forms government can take that has made this section a mess. It is tricky having to account for the fact that the lower house might not exist or the upper house may only have one party when it comes to tabulating votes. Don't expect to grasp everything here on the first read. :p

Voting Power

One of the key features of any iAAR is the ability to vote on issues and decisions affecting the nation. This iAAR is no exception. Every player is permitted to vote, but each player will have different voting power or VP. This means that certain players will have their votes count for more based on certain factors that usually depend on class, position, and other factors. Each class has a base voting power that can be modified by franchise laws, positions, and party allegiance. Voting power for elections and during normal voting sessions are calculated differently.

During elections for the lower house, base voting power is determined by a player’s class and the current franchise laws. The lower class receives a base 2VP, the middle class 4VP, and the upper class 6VP. These values are further adjusted by the franchise. If the franchise is weighted, the base VP for each class will remain as previously mentioned. If there is no weighting, every class will have a base VP equal to whatever the lowest class with the franchise has for VP. For example, under weighted wealth both the middle and upper class would have 4VP, while everyone would have 2VP under universal. Any class that does not have the franchise has its base VP halved. If your character is impacted by other factors that keep them from voting (ex. unaccepted religion, woman before suffrage, criminal, etc), they will also have their VP halved, although these are applied after any bonuses and may stack. Most bonuses will not be applied during elections, although there may be exceptions.

During normal voting sessions, the franchise laws are also used to determine a player’s base VP, along with the same penalties. However, all players actively sitting in the house also have their base VP doubled, regardless of class, while those participating through intermediaries don’t receive the bonus.

Landholding nobles receive special treatment. Any landholding noble may serve on the Cortz and will vote through that body. All counts or lower receive base 2VP, while dukes receive 4VP, and grand dukes receive 6VP. This base VP will also be used for elections, but only to determine the composition of the Cortz. The bonus for being a member of the house rather than voting through an intermediary also applies here. This VP is only used for votes in the Cortz and to decide its composition. If at any time the houses are changed so that upper house is elected or the appointments are not restricted to nobles, their base voting power is determined like everyone else’s. If the upper house to restricted to ruling party only, those who normally would be members now vote through the lower house until their party comes to power.

If at any time the lower house ceases to exist due to a rollback of reforms, all players will vote through the upper house. Under these conditions, any character that normally would vote through the lower house will have their base VP halved, although that value is still subjected to the usual penalties. If the upper house is also ruling party only, players vote through that party even if not a member, but will also have their base VP halved.

Under a dictatorship, the lower house does not exist and the upper house must be ruling party only. In this instance, all members of the ruling party have a base 2VP, which can be doubled if active in government as well, while everyone else receives a base 1VP, regardless of class. Franchise bonuses and penalties are not applied, but those penalties such as for following an unaccepted religion still are.

If any character is appointed to Cabinet, they will receive extra VP based on their position. Minor cabinet positions grant +1VP, major cabinet positions grant +2VP, and being Prime Minister/Head of Government grants +4VP. If the Head of State is a player, they receive +4VP, although one player who controls a combined Head of Government and State position receives +6VP. Cabinet position VP bonuses do not stack, and players holding multiple positions will receive the VP bonus for their highest position only. If a character is a leader, they also receive an extra +2VP.

All players who are in prison instantly have their voting power halved, but can still participate in votes through non-active characters or intermediaries. Players who are criminals on the run are given the lowest VP possible and can’t have it raised. All characters following a non-accepted religion have their voting power halved. If a character is a woman before women’s suffrage, regardless if they have a position in Parliament (ex. duchess), their VP is also halved. All of these penalties can stack.

It should be noted how the penalties and bonuses to voting power are applied, and how that differs from base voting. Base voting power is defined by your class and franchise laws. This is the voting power you have before adding in any bonuses or penalties from positions or religious penalties. Bonuses and penalties affecting base voting power are applied before those affecting total voting power. In regards to penalties, most are applied after bonuses are applied.

Simply states how votes are counted when voting on laws and such. It's mostly the same to how we've been doing things with our Parliament here. The only major difference is probably that independents are mostly irrelevant now.

Voting in Parliament

Players who are a member of Parliament vote through whichever house they are a member of, be that the Cortz or Assembly. For those who are not members of Parliament, it is assumed they vote through AI members of the appropriate house. The house they vote through is decided by their class, with landed nobles voting through the Cortz and everyone else through the Assembly. For any act to be written into law, it must pass through both houses.

When voting through Parliament, VP influences how many of the AI members of the player's respective house in their party they control. Basically, the composition of both houses will be determined during an election or over time, based on player membership in parties and in-game elections. Once the percentage of each house each party controls has been determined, VP will then be used to influence it.

If a player is a member of a party, they may influence the votes of their fellow AI members. Only party members may influence those votes, so a member of another party or an independent has no way of influencing another party's votes. The amount of votes a player influences in their own party is determined by the percent of VP they possess amongst the total of all VP of all party members. It should be noted that only players who vote are counted towards the total VP. So let's say we have three people in Party A with 1, 2, and 3 VP each, and their party controls 30% of the Assembly. The total VP of the party would be 6. Using that, the 3VP player would control 50% of the party, and thus 15% of the Assembly, the 2VP would control 33% and 10%, while the 1VP player would control 17% and 5%.

Independents are treated differently. Since they are not part of a party, they cannot influence anyone else’s vote. Seeing as they are only one person, they can only vote as one seat. Players outside Parliament cannot vote as independents.

If for whatever reason a party ever ends up with no players representing it in a specific house, perhaps due to recent character deaths, party members focusing on a single house, or reforms affecting seats, the NPC members still present will follow the example of the other house.

If at any time the lower house ceases to exist, either due to a rollback of reforms or government type, all players will vote through the upper house. If the upper house is ruling party only, players vote through that party even if not a member.

This section mostly explains the form of our Parliament for newcomers. I have also added a bit about membership since I felt it needed to clarified how oddities like generals, clergy, or women could actually end up in Parliament.

Parliament

The Parliament is an advisory body created in 1755. It consists of an upper and lower house, the Cortz d'Hispania and the Assembly respectively. The Cortz is for landed nobles, while the Assembly is for everyone else. It is assumed that all players are either members of one of the two houses or vote through members of Parliament. All laws are presented before Parliament and voted on by that body.

Players who are Members of Parliament receive bonus VP that those voting through intermediaries do not receive.

Each house has specific requirements for membership, so not all characters can serve in Parliament. At the game start, only titled nobles are able to serve in the Cortz. For the Assembly, only characters that meet the franchise requirements and can vote in elections can serve as elected members, while technically anyone can receive an appointed position if the Emperor grants them one. Until women’s suffrage, the only female characters likely to serve in Parliament are duchesses. Any character that is a leader may not be elected to the Assembly, but they can be appointed to that body or sit in the Cortz if a titled noble. Members of the clergy may not be elected to the Assembly, but they can be appointed to that body.

This is where the unveil the new form of the Cortz. How it existed in EUIV can no longer work, since we won't have the same provinces it was once tied to. I've changed it so most seats are appointed, with the Crown appointing titled nobles to the Cortz, although all dukes and above receive hereditary seats. I've also set it to 100 seats for simplicity's sake. In practice, the Cortz will likely stay very similar since the Crown would likely keep appointing counts to the empty seats, but now barons and other lesser nobility can technically serve on the body. Of course the other side is that all those female counts are probably never getting a seat until women's suffrage is a thing.

Upper House/Cortz d’Hispania

The Cortz is a body consisting of nobles that represent the interests of the nobility. Any noble with a title can potentially sit on the Cortz. Members serve for life, and those with a title of duke or higher have their seats pass on to their heir.

The Chamberlain serves as the head of the Cortz, is appointed by all members of the Cortz, and serves as the Cortz's direct representative to the Crown. They receive an additional +1VP.

Seeing as the Cortz in EUIV was tied to the provinces, it has experienced a facelift going into Victoria II. The number of seats in the Cortz is now fixed at a specific number, 100 at the game start. All dukes are guaranteed a seat, while the remaining members are appointed by the Crown from amongst the landed nobility at the recommendation of the members of the Cortz. If a player chooses to be a baron, count, marquis, or other landed noble, it is assumed they have been appointed to the Cortz unless they choose to run for the Assembly or remain outside Parliament.

Seeing as Victoria II does not differentiate between parties in the upper house if there is more than one party of any ideology, the percentage in the lower house will be used. For example, if conservative party A controls 60% of all seats held by all conservative parties in the lower house, they will also control 60% of the conservative seats in the upper house. If there is no lower house, I will distribute the seats based on various modifiers determined by player membership and IC.

If the upper house becomes ruling party only, all those voting in that house will vote through the ruling party regardless of party loyalty. If the government ever becomes any form of dictatorship, the Cortz shall be replaced by an upper house consisting of the dictator’s party and other associates. All players will vote through the ruling party, but members will have higher VP than those outside the party. Under a democracy, the upper house may take on another form as dictated by the players.

Not much has changed here. The Assembly is essentially still the same.

Lower House/Assembly

The Assembly is a semi-elected body consisting of representatives from the various provinces of the Empire and appointed representatives. Elections occur every four years, although the Emperor or Prime Minister may call an early election. At the game start, nine-tenths of all seats are elected by Christian males over 21, with the electorates determined based on population. The remaining one-tenth of seats are appointed directly by the Emperor.

The Assembly elects a Speaker to represent them on the Cabinet. They receive +1VP.

At the game start, the Assembly has 500 seats and will likely continue to do so unless changed later. Some of those seats may be appointed by the Crown based on current laws. There may be other specifications for seats dictated by Hispania’s laws. The composition of the Assembly is calculated based on the values given in-game and modifiers applied based on player support and other factors.

If the government ever gets rid of elections, either through revoking reforms or the establishment of a dictatorship, the lower house will cease to exist. All characters who normally would have voted through the lower house will now vote through an intermediary in the upper house.

This section just includes details on what is needed for the parties everyone will be forming. Might be could to consult this section now since I'll be needing details for each party once I start the conversion.

Parties

Parties are groups of individuals with shared interests in Parliament. Players may create their own parties and allow other players to join their ranks. A list of existing parties will be included in the Table of Contents. Parties may operate in one or both houses of Parliament, and it is recommended that members coordinate votes. Members of a party are the only ones that can influence how AI members of their party vote. Players are not required to join a party and may remain an independent instead, provided they are an official Member of Parliament, but that means their vote will only equate to one seat in their house of Parliament.

Each party should have its own post listing its core values, but they are all required to provide a list of their in-game party issues and pick a specific ideology represented in-game. The ideologies to choose from are reactionary, conservative, liberal, anarcho-liberal, socialist, communist, and fascist, although an ideology can only be adopted once unlocked in-game. Details on the various ideologies can be found on this wiki page. A party may change its ideology at a later date if a previously locked ideology is more fitting. I also highly recommend that there only be one party per ideology, with the exception of conservatives, liberals, and possibly socialists. As for party issues, each party must choose a trade, economic, religious, citizenship, and war policy, which can all be viewed on this wiki page. It is recommended that the policies fit the ideology in most cases (ex. planned economy for communists), and no party should have the exact same policies as another. Players will not be restricted by their party’s ideology when it comes to forming coalitions or backing reforms.

Players may garner extra support for their party through IC. Debating bills in Parliament or giving speeches are easy ways of winning more support for your party, provided you're not talking about something no one would agree with. The quality of the campaign IC will influence how much it impacts your party's support. Players may also attempt to weaken another party's support by speaking out against them. These campaigns increase or decrease the amount of VP a party receives as a bonus during elections. If these traditional methods of campaigning aren't enough, players may attempt more underhanded methods like harassing voters at the polls or stuffing ballot boxes, although these can backfire and actually lose support if discovered. It's a choice of whether the greater risk is worth the greater reward.

If at any time reforms restrict the ability of parties to participate in Parliament or the government is a dictatorship, the non-ruling parties may continue underground. They may vote through an existing party, but with reduced VP.

While before you just joined a party and voted, now you'll also be voting for parties during elections. This is a way for me take the in-game house compositions and modify them based on player membership, but without counting inactive players. Might be interesting to read it over to get a grasp of how I'll be handling elections.

Elections

Elections in this iAAR will be using a hybrid system balancing both what the game gives us for the composition of each house and player membership in each party. This system is designed to balance representation of the voting of the in-game POPs and that of the players. When an election occurs in-game, one shall be held in the iAAR. All players vote for a party, with their VP for the election determined by the voting franchise. Once the election is over, I tally up the VP for each party and calculate the percentage of total VP each party received. From there, I calculate the average percentage and either add or subtract the difference in percentage from the percent each party controls of the house. This means I will be using the values the game gives me for the initial seats each party has, but the number of players voting for each party will impact how many seats it actually has. I’ll include an example to better explain.

Let’s say the conservatives have 70% of the seats, split evenly between two parties called X and Y (35% each), the liberals have 20%, and the reactionaries have 10%. The players then vote for each party. In the end, the X conservatives receive 1VP, the Y conservatives receive 2VP, the liberals 3VP, and the reactionaries 4VP. In total, there was 10VP involved. Percentages are then calculated, with the X conservatives having 10%, the Y conservatives 20%, the liberals 30%, and the reactionaries 40%. The average is calculated to be roughly 25%. Based on the average and percentages for each party, the X conservatives lose 15% of the seats, the Y conservatives lose 5%, the liberals gain 5%, and the reactionaries gain 15%. Adjusting the seat totals then leads to the X conservatives having 20% of the seats, the Y conservatives having 30%, the liberals having 25%, and the reactionaries having 25%. As you can see, both the liberals and reactionaries made more gains since they had greater player support, but the game having more conservatives kept their numbers high despite less player support.

IC during elections may influence the outcome of the election. If a party posts enough convincing IC in support of their party, extra VP will be added to their party during the election. Doing something bad or foolhardy can have the opposite effect and lose VP. The amount of VP added or lost as well as who receives any is completely up to me as the GM.

It should be noted that landed nobles are unique in that they are voting for both the Cortz and the Assembly. This means that everyone’s vote will be counted when determining the composition of the Assembly, but only the landed nobles’ votes will be counted when determining the composition of the Cortz. The process for calculating the composition is the same for both house, even though those who can vote for the Cortz is restricted, except the VP for the upper house is calculated using a different list of values based on rank. Keep in mind that although landed nobles can vote in the Assembly’s elections, they cannot vote in the Assembly during parliamentary votes. It should also be pointed out that the Cortz technically does not have elections, but for simplicity’s sake all changes to composition are done at the same time as the Assembly. If the upper house ever becomes elected, it will be treated similarly to the lower house.

The Cabinet, like our class system, has also received a facelift, although a much larger one. The VP bonuses are much higher, seeing as VP determines a player's influence in their own party, and is tiered so more important cabinet positions have more VP. Seeing as many have stated a lack of knowledge of Vicky 2, I've designed the Cabinet so that some positions are optional so we can rely on a lower number if we have less players confident enough to take them. These optional positions can be filled whenever, but when empty merely have all their duties assumed by one of the senior cabinet ministers. I've also removed the Minister of Religion as a thing, since they'd have no duties in Vicky 2. Assume that ministry has been integrated into the Ministry of the Interior.

The Cabinet

The Cabinet is a government body consisting of members appointed by the Head of Government to manage specific affairs of state. At the game start, the Emperor appoints a new Prime Minister who he believes can garner the confidence of Parliament, who then appoints all other ministers. The Prime Minister may claim any cabinet positions for themselves. The Prime Minister may appoint whoever they want to any positions, barring some restrictions, and is free to dismiss and appoint most ministers. The exceptions are the Chamberlain, who is appointed by the Cortz, and the Speaker, who is appointed by the Assembly. There are also optional cabinet positions that can only be created and handed out by their senior minister. There is no limit to how many positions one person may hold.

Optional cabinet positions are those that are not necessary to fill, and if left empty their duties are assumed by a specific senior cabinet minister. These positions can only be created by specific ministers, and those same ministers have the freedom to appoint and fire whomever they chose to the position, with the permission of the Prime Minister. Players may choose to add new positions later, either through laws or granting part of their portfolio to another. It will be entirely up to me whether these new ministers will receive extra VP.

All ministers receive bonus VP to represent their position of power, based on which positions they hold. If a player holds a major cabinet position, they receive an extra +2VP, while minor or optional cabinet positions grant only +1VP. The position of Prime Minister or equivalent Head of Government grants +4VP, as well as the Head of State if it is a player, although if they are combined they grant +6VP. Players only receive the bonus once, even if they hold multiple offices, but will receive the bonus of their highest office.

The Prime Minister may fire any minister, but the Emperor may hire or fire a Prime Minister whenever he pleases. The Emperor will fill any positions left vacant, although an NPC, but not a player's non-active character, may be appointed or selected for any position. If any ministers do not perform their duties by not producing a plan for two turns in a row, the Emperor may take over for them without penalty until the Prime Minister fills the position. If a minister simply wants to keep the same plan, it should be explicitly stated. Players may not object to plans unless the Emperor explicitly puts them up to a vote, although they may speak out against them.

Whenever a new Emperor takes over, the current Cabinet and Prime Minister must be legitimized by the Emperor, although the Emperor can choose to replace them instead.

Major Cabinet Positions

Prime Minister - The Prime Minister serves as the Head of Government and is appointed directly by the Emperor. They are usually the leader of the largest party or someone who can garner the confidence of a majority of both or one house. They appoint all other ministers, with the exception of the Chamberlain, Speaker, and all optional cabinet positions, although their approval is required for the latter. They also may object to any minister's plan and put it up to a vote. They may take any ministry as their own. This position may be merged with the Head of State under a different type of government.

Minister of Foreign Affairs – This minister handles matters pertaining to foreign affairs. They propose potential alliances and can call for a declaration of war. They recommend nations to improve relations with and who to sphere. They can also fabricate CBs, add war goals, and set a stance on how to react to call-to-arms. They can make use of all diplomatic interactions such as military access, war subsidies, and sphere actions (discredit, expel advisors, ban embassy, etc). They may also choose to intervene in a crisis or back one side, with the permission of the Prime Minister. They may choose to appoint a Minister of Colonial Affairs, otherwise all duties of that minister are assumed by the Minister of the Foreign Affairs.

Minister of War – This minister's domain is that of war. They create a generalized war plan in the result of war. They can order the recruitment of regiments, as well as arrange the composition of all armies. During times of war, they may give the order to implement mobilization. They serve as a field marshal if a member of the army and appoint an assistant from the army as the second field marshal. They also promote players up through ranks in the army and appoint the various levels of generals. They may choose to appoint a Minister of the Navy, otherwise all duties of that minister are assumed by the Minister of War.

Minister of the Interior – This minister is in charge of domestic affairs. They can construct buildings (forts, naval base, etc) and set national focuses. If the ruling party’s economic policies allow it, they may also build or expand factories and railroads. They may choose to appoint a Minister of Justice, otherwise all duties of that minister are assumed by the Minister of the Interior.

Minister of Finance – This minister, as the name implies, is in charge of the nation's finances. They determine the position of the budget sliders, although army and navy stockpile may be maxed at war. They determine the level of taxes each class pays and the level of spending for the various categories. They may also choose to take out or repay loans. They may deny funds for any specific project (factories, forts/naval bases, troops/ships, etc) and may reject raising of maintenance even during war. They may choose to appoint a Minister of Trade, otherwise all duties of that minister are assumed by the Minister of Finance.

Minor Cabinet Positions

Chamberlain - The Chamberlain serves as the head of the Cortz and is appointed by its members to represent the nobility. They do not form plans, but merely represents the will of the nobility directly to the Emperor. They conduct votes of reprimand and censure in the Cortz. They may also approve legislation concerning the Cortz presented by the Assembly for a vote, as well as decide whether a law only affects the Cortz. Only a member of the Cortz can fill this position.

Speaker - The Speaker serves as the head of the Assembly and is elected by its members. Much like the Chamberlain, the Speaker serves as the representative of his respective house on the Cabinet and to the Crown. They conduct votes of reprimand and censure in the Assembly. They may also approve legislation concerning the Assembly presented by the Cortz for a vote, as well as decide whether a law only affects the Assembly. The speaker must be a member of the Assembly.

Minister of Education - This minister is placed in charge of the education program provided at public schools and universities in Hispania. They choose what techs to research and may recommend a new tech school if available.

Optional Cabinet Positions

Minister of Colonial Affairs - This minister is appointed to oversee all colonies. They report directly to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and are thus appointed solely by them with the Prime Minister’s permission. They may designate provinces or regions to colonize, as well as choose whether to withdraw if competing with another nation.

Minister of the Navy - This minister is similar to the Minister of War, except their domain is the navy. They report directly to the Minister of War, and are thus appointed solely by them with the Prime Minister’s permission. They can order the construction of ships, as well as arrange the composition of all navies. They serve as a fleet admiral if a member of the navy and appoint an assistant from the navy as the second fleet admiral. They also promote players up through ranks in the navy and appoint the various levels of admirals. During times of war, they may appoint a temporary grand admiral to take charge of a specific theatre.

Minister of Justice - This minister is in charge of the judicial system, including the courts, police force, and detectives. They report directly to the Minister of the Interior, and are thus appointed solely by them with the Prime Minister’s permission. This minister conducts their duties in full view of Parliament, although the more secretive duties may only be known by the Head of State or Head of Government. They set a stance for how to handle revolts and can suppress potential revolts or movements. This minister is charged with investigating and apprehending criminals, or rather leading those who do it, with more details on their involvement included in the Crime & Punishment section. They may send orders by PM if they prefer their affairs be kept private.

Minister of Trade – This minister deals with matters of trade, both internal and external. They report directly to the Minister of Finance, and are thus appointed solely by them with the Prime Minister’s permission. They can implement tariffs or negative tariffs. If the ruling party’s economic policies allow it, they may also choose to fund capitalists’ projects, subsidize factories, and recommend the construction of factories or railroads in foreign nations with the approval of the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

This pretty much resembles what we have with the current Emperor, except I have to account for the fact we might have a government without a monarch. I know, a ghastly possibility. So it is now possible to have a player as Head of State depending on the government type. You'd elect them under a democracy, while a dictator obviously seizes power themselves. I'll leave it up to the players under these circumstances as whether to merge the position with the Head of Government or not.

The Emperor/Head of State

The Emperor at the game start is the Head of State. He has the power to veto any decision of his ministers or any vote at his discretion, unless certain restrictions have been placed on his power. He may also appoint and fire the Prime Minister at will. If a minister's plans are vague or there simply isn't one, the Emperor will attempt to carry out the duties of the position as best as he can. The Emperor may also choose to act unilaterally in certain matters.

One of the Emperor's greatest powers, and one that cannot be taken away from him, is the ability to hand out titles. Unlike with EUIV, these are no longer tied to specific provinces. Players will merely be given a specific rank and can choose an appropriate title, provided it does not conflict with someone else’s titles. The Emperor may only revoke a title if the player holding it is convicted of a crime. If a character's family dies out, their title is returned to the Crown or inherited by another player with ties to the family.

If the monarch is ever underage or determined to be incapable of ruling due to health or similar concerns, a regent will be appointed. At the game start, the law dictates that the Emperor may designate his preferred regent either publicly or in a signed document. If this was not done, those considered for the regency are as follows in this specific order: the Prime Minister, the Chamberlain, and then the closest blood relative of appropriate age.

If the monarchy is ever overthrown, the Head of State will become a new position appropriate for the current government type. It can either be separate or combined with the Head of Government. If separate, it will receive a VP bonus equivalent to the Head of Government. If combined, it will receive 6VP instead. If a democracy, the Head of State shall be elected by the players. If a dictatorship of some kind, the Head of State shall be whomever has assumed power and they are free to pick their own successor.

Speaking of government, here is a list of all government types under Vicky 2. I've given a small description, some of which might be inaccurate (does anyone know what a bourgeois dictatorship is?), as well as how to peacefully transition to that government type. Certain governments are restricted in what party can take power, although technically all of them can exist as long as the underground parties reform isn't in place. I'm a bit uncertain about this restriction for the monarchies, since players should be able to come to power as long as they can form a coalition regardless of party ideology, but I'd have to figure out how I'd go about appointing parties. Is it possible to put one in power by event?

Government

The government of Hispania can take many forms in this iAAR, ranging from various forms of monarchy to democracy to dictatorships of one form or another. These are based on those available in Victoria II, and many of the transitions between governments will resemble those conditions needed in-game, modified to fit changes implemented by the iAAR. All the government types available will be listed, alongside with any restrictions that they have and the conditions for changing to that government type.

Absolute Monarchy – A type of monarchy where the monarch has absolute power. Can be peacefully formed by removing elections under another monarchy. Only permits reactionary, conservative, and liberal parties in power.

Prussian Constitutionalism – A type of monarchy where the monarch retains most of their powers but includes an elected government. Can be peacefully formed by permitting elections under an absolute monarchy. Only permits reactionary, conservative, liberal, and socialist parties in power.

HM’s Government – A type of monarchy where the monarchy is mostly ceremonial or relies heavily on an elected government. Can be peacefully formed by adopting secret or non-secret ballots under another monarchy. All parties are permitted to be in power.

Democracy – A type of government where the government is elected and the Head of State is chosen by the people in some form. Can be peacefully formed by permitting elections, not having only underground parties, and the upper house is not ruling party only under any type of dictatorship. All parties are permitted to be in power.

Presidential Dictatorship – A type of dictatorship where the country is ruled by a single individual. Can be peacefully formed by removing elections under a democracy while reactionaries or conservatives are in power, or by removing elections, having underground parties, and ruling party only in the upper house under a non-absolute monarchy while reactionaries are in power. Reactionary parties only in power.

Proletariat Dictatorship – A type of dictatorship where the country is ruled by a communist government or the working class. Can be peacefully formed by removing elections under a democracy while communists or socialists are in power, or by removing elections, having underground parties, and ruling party only in the upper house under a non-absolute monarchy while communists are in power. Communists parties only in power.

Bourgeois Dictatorship – A type of dictatorship where the country is ruled by a wealthy elite or anarchists. Can be peacefully formed by removing elections under a democracy while liberals or anarcho-liberals are in power, or by removing elections, having underground parties, and ruling party only in the upper house under a non-absolute monarchy while anarcho-liberals are in power. Anarcho-liberal parties only in power.

Fascist Dictatorship – A type of dictatorship where the country is ruled by a fascist government or party. Can be peacefully formed by removing elections under a democracy while fascists are in power, or by removing elections, having underground parties, and ruling party only in the upper house under a non-absolute monarchy while fascists are in power. Fascist parties only in power.

Seeing as there are now in-game reforms, I have to set up how we handle those. Obviously you can't just pass multiple levels freely or it'd be chaos, but don't feel restricted by Vicky 2's ideologies.

Reforms

While players may post almost any law or bill within reason, there are certain reforms represented in-game that must be passed or revoked in a specific order. These include political and social reforms that are listed on the provided wiki pages. Any law affecting any of the in-game reforms can only implement changes matching the level of reform immediately below or above the current reform in-game. For example, if we have weighted wealth franchise, a law can implement wealth or landed only franchise, but not implement no voting or universal franchise. To reach a level of reform two or more away requires passing laws for each level of reform over multiple turns. There is no limit to how many different types of reforms can be implemented in one turn, so for example the voting franchise can be changed at the same time as press rights or minimum wage.

It should be noted that I will be ignoring Victoria II’s restriction on which parties will pass certain reforms, so if the players want to pass the reforms even when the game doesn’t allow it, they can still be changed. Players also are free to favour reforms their in-game party would not, for example a liberal voting for social reforms.

If any one party manages to gain majority control of both houses, they may pass any reform that is two levels away instead of only one. The reason this is restricted to two instead of removing the limit entirely is to prevent the implementation of the highest or lowest level of every reform all in one turn.

Religion isn't really that important anymore. As long as you're Christian, it probably won't have an impact, but non-Christians will be penalized.

Religion

As stated earlier, a player can choose any faith they please. A player’s faith will have little effect on them if it aligns with the state religion. Players also have the option to keep their true faith secret and act as though they follow another faith. To do this, players must include their false faith in their character profile and PM me their true faith.

If a Catholic clergy player becomes Pope, that player may excommunicate other Catholic players. Excommunicated players are viewed with disdain by their fellow Catholics. They have their base voting power halved.

The matter is different for heathens. An open heathen will face discrimination in the form of having their total voting power halved or even face persecution. Secret heathens are treated like anyone else, but if they are discovered they can be persecuted.

At any time, anyone may attempt to pass laws granting greater rights and freedoms for a specific faith. If a religion becomes accepted, or at the bare minimum tolerated, the VP penalty for characters of that faith is removed.

Not even sure if I need this section anymore since it won't be doing much of anything. :p

Council of Churches

The Council of Churches is an inter-faith body that serves as a means of communication between the various Christian faiths that make up the Church of Jesus Christ, Hispania’s state church. The body consists of the top three members of each Christian faith. They help guide the religious fate of the nation. They also have the power to decide whether any new faith is considered Christian or not and thus admitted to their ranks.

This just elaborates on the changes I've made to the Cortz, in that titles are no longer tied to provinces. You receive a rank now and choose a title that fits it.

Titles

Titles represent the titles of nobility that a noble character may possess. Unlike with EUIV, titles are no longer tied to specific provinces. Players will merely be given a specific rank and can choose an appropriate title, provided it does not conflict with someone else’s titles. Players are free to claim a title of the rank of count or lower when making a new character, but can only receive a higher title by being granted it by the Crown. If a character's family dies out, their titles are returned to the Crown or inherited by another player with ties to the family.

The crime system is mostly the same, since I've purposely kept it vague to modify on a per-circumstance basis.

Crime

Crime in this iAAR revolves around a system involving a RNG to determine a player’s chance of discovery and success. Whenever a player commits a crime, a RNG roll is performed to determine if they are discovered by the Minister of Justice or publicly known, whether they were discovered before or after the crime was committed, and then again to determine if they are successful. Extra rolls may be added to account for the specifics of each crime and those will be added at my discretion.

The chances of discovery and success will vary based on the crime, with the smaller and less severe crimes usually having a greater chance of success with less chance of discovery while the more serious crimes are more likely to fail and lead to discovery. A player’s voting power may also impact the crime, in which case it will use the base VP for each class without taking into consideration the franchise, but will take into account any position bonuses and most penalties. A player with more VP is considered to be more powerful and influential, and thus better able to carry out a crime, but in turn they are more noticeable and likely to be caught. A player with low VP may not have the resources to carry out most crimes, but can sneak around unseen.

Players may also attempt to frame someone else for the crime. If the criminal decided to frame someone else for their crime, the chance of discovery will be increased with a greater chance of evidence against the framed person being found. There is always a slight chance that someone innocent may be implicated as the guilty party, regardless of whether or not someone is framed.

If someone wishes to commit a crime, they must request a roll for it, either by PM or a private OOC post. I will then decide upon a chance of discovery and success based on the specific crime or person. The rolls will then be performed. First the discovery roll will be done, followed by a roll to determine if discovery was made before or after the crime was committed, with a 30% chance for before and a 70% for after. If the Minister of Justice discovered the crime beforehand, they will be informed privately and be given 24 hours to act before the crime can be carried out, either choosing to expose the crime, keep it to themselves, or assist the criminal. It is possible though that the Emperor may become aware of their actions. If publicly discovered beforehand, the Crown or legal authorities have 24 hours to act before the crime is carried out, either by pre-emptively arresting the person or putting measures in place to prevent the crime, and the guilty party may choose to call off the crime. I will then do the roll for success chance, after which I will announce in-thread whether the crime was successful or not, as well as anyone implicated in the crime who was made public afterwards. If the Minister of Justice discovered the crime afterwards, they will be informed after its completion of the identify of the guilty party, upon which they can make use of that information however they please.

Here I've merely expanded on the trial process, albeit briefly.

Punishment

If anyone is implicated in a crime, they can be imprisoned and placed on trial. The accused will plead their case before a jury of their peers, consisting of roughly five players randomly chosen by me. The accused will get a chance to plead their case before the jury and the Minister of Justice may speak against them. The jury will then decide whether the accused is guilty or not.

If someone is found guilty, they will then be punished. The jury then decides upon a punishment fitting the crime. In most instances, the criminal will be imprisoned until their fate is decided. Players may still vote while imprisoned, preferably OOC, but their VP is halved. Also, while I encourage creativity with roleplay, players cannot get out of punishments simply by roleplaying that they have done so. Doing so would go against the no god-modding rule. While the jury can decide upon an appropriate punishment, some recommended punishments that can be decided upon for the accused are as follows:

Mercy – The accused is forgiven of all crimes.
Fine – The accused is forced to pay a fine, which amounts to -1VP for one vote.
Loss of titles – The accused has their titles revoked.
Imprisonment – The accused is imprisoned for set amount of time. They may still participate in votes, but their voting power is halved.
Execution – The accused is put to death. The affected player must make a new character. Requires a clear majority to pass.

Still the same, but changed the numbers a bit.

Escape

Players may attempt to break out of jail or avoid arrest all together, with the odds improving if they have outside help. It should be noted that all escapees will be placed on trial again if caught and face further punishment other than their imprisonment. Those who attempt to avoid arrest will merely be imprisoned if caught until they can be placed on trial. All escapees have their VP reduced to the lowest amount possible. A player’s chance of escape is determined by a RNG, with modifiers included in. Here are the results for each roll and modifiers:

1-25 – The escapee is killed attempting to escape.
26-75 – The escapee is caught attempting to escape and put back in prison.
76-100 – The escapee gets away.

Each collaborator adds +10 to the roll. There is a 20% chance that each collaborator will be discovered. If revealed, the collaborator has the option to turn themselves in, otherwise they must attempt to escape arrest as well, thus having their VP reduced and becoming wanted until caught and imprisoned. Their bonus to the escape roll is also removed. If a player was caught escaping jail before and is attempting to again, he has a -15 penalty to his roll. All collaborators have 24 hours after a player declares his intent to escape from jail or arrest to offer to serve as a collaborator.

Just a few tweaks, but also mostly the same.

Investigating Criminals

If there are any players who have escaped punishment and exist as criminals, players may attempt to locate them and bring them to justice. Once per turn, any player may attempt their own personal investigation to find a criminal. There is a base 25% chance that the criminal will be discovered. If the criminal has been on the run for more than two turns and has not committed any more crimes, the base chance of discovery is lowered to 10%. Chance of discovery is halved if the criminal has fled to another country. Once an investigation has been called for, the investigated criminal may not change locations or flee the country until it is completed, since this would be considered god-modding. If successful, the player may choose to either turn the criminal in or keep their location secret. The criminal must perform another escape roll if there is an attempt to capture them, otherwise they will be imprisoned again.

The Minister of Justice plays an important role in investigations. The Minister of Justice may choose to help or ignore existing investigations. If the Minister of Justice supports an investigation called for by another player, the chance of discovery is doubled. If, however, they believe the investigation is not worth wasting government resources on, the chance of discovery is unimpacted. The Minister of Justice may also conduct their own investigations, with a base 50% chance of discovery. The Minister of Justice may choose to keep the location of the criminal secret rather than simply apprehend the criminal, although the Emperor may become aware of their actions.

If an investigation reveals that a criminal is currently in another country, that criminal will not be immediately arrested. Satellites and dominions will always hand over criminals as long as their relations are positive, and allies and spherelings will almost always hand over criminals as long as relations are above 100 and that criminal doesn’t have strong ties to the country. All countries that don’t fit that definition may choose not to extradite criminals, depending on current relations, relative power, and threat possibility. I will decide upon RNG values to determine whether or not they are willing to extradite the criminal. If they accept, the criminal will be returned and locked up. If they refuse, we must wait until next turn to make another attempt. If at any time we are at war with a nation where a criminal is known to be hiding, there is a 90% chance they will be apprehended if we win. If their location is unknown and we happen to win a war against the nation hiding them, there is a 50% they will be discovered and apprehended if we win.

Only some minor fiddling done here, like upping the cap to 50% chance of success. Not sure how VP changes will impact this.

Assassination

At any point any player may attempt an assassination of another player. The base chance of success is 10%, although it can drop below this in certain circumstances to as low as 5%. This success rate is then modified both by the assassin’s and intended victim’s VP. Each point of VP the assassin has is added to their chance of success. Each point of VP the intended victim has is subtracted from the chance of success. It should be noted that I will use the base VP for each class without taking into consideration the franchise, but will take into account any position bonuses and most penalties. The chance of success is capped at 50%. The chance of getting caught is 50%. Of that 50% chance of discovery, 20% is getting discovered by the Minister of Justice, 20% is becoming publicly known as the assassin, and 10% is someone innocent being implicated. The roll for discovery is done first, and if publicly caught then the VP bonus of the assassin is removed, although the assassination attempt proceeds as planned. It should be noted that if only the Minister of Justice learns of the crime, the VP bonus remains and only the Minister of Justice will be informed by PM that they know of the crime. If the player kills themselves off before the assassination attempt is completed, their VP bonus to chance of success is removed. Players may only commit one assassination attempt once per turn, although this may include multiple targets.

For each failed attempt made against a specific target, the chance of discovery increases by 5% for getting discovered by the Minister of Justice and 10% for becoming publicly known as the assassin for that specific target, for a total increase of 15% per failed attempt. If a previous attempt was discovered by the Minster of Justice, there is a 10% chance added of them discovering another attempt by that person, regardless of the target. If a criminal orders an assassination and the Minister of Justice discovers the attempt, they also learn of the criminal’s location and may have them locked up. Criminals may not order assassinations from outside the country.

If multiple assassinations are ordered at once, they will be done all at once. The discovery rolls will be conducted first. If at any time the player is publicly caught, the VP bonus for that attempt is removed and all other attempts receive -1 to chance of success. Then the rolls for the actual assassination attempts occur. If any attempts were discovered, a roll is done for each undiscovered attempt with a 25% chance that it will be revealed that that person was also targeted by the same person, but only after the assassinations are carried out. If the Minister of Justice finds out, the attempts continue without penalty but the Minister of Justice now knows the culprit and can make use of that information any way they wish.

Assassins may also involve conspirators. Each conspirator adds their VP to the chance of success. It should be noted that each conspirator receives their own separate roll for the chance of being discovered. The chances are the same as for one person, except the 30% for being publicly known is split into 20% for just the one conspirator being known and 10% for all conspirators being known. This means that one conspirator may accidentally reveal everyone, or that they may be the only one caught and then may choose to rat out the others. Choose your conspirators wisely.

Players may attempt to convince notable royals to join their conspiracy, in which case each would have VP equivalent to nobles, although the Emperor and heir receive 10VP.

I think the only thing I might have changed here is giving the generals a slightly higher bonus. :p

Duelling

Players may challenge any other player to a duel at any time. If the person being challenged accepts, they then choose the weapon used. The two must then agree on whether the duel is to first blood or to the death, that is if a melee weapon was chosen. Both players must choose a second for the duel, who can be either another player or an NPC. Once that is all decided, the duel can proceed. A simple roll is conducted to determine who won if the duel is with melee weapons, with the loser dying if the duel is to the death. Specific modifiers are applied to chance of success based on such factors as class, age, and whether or not the person served as a leader. For first blood, a second roll will then be conducted to determine the severity of the wound. A player may choose to attempt to kill the other player even in a first blood duel to increase the chances of victory (+10%) and causing a nasty wound (+20), but at the risk of taking a serious hit to their reputation (-1VP). If a wound is inflicted, the severity of the wound differs based on the roll. Another roll will be conducted if the wound is severe enough to possibly lead to death.

Here are the modifiers:

Noble: +10%
Clergy: -10%
General: +20%
Admiral: +5%
Under 20: -10%
Over 50: -5%
Over 60: -10%
Over 70: -15%
Over 80: -20%

Note: Age modifiers do not stack. Modifiers are halved for ranged duelling.

Here are the possible rolls for melee duelling:

1-30 – Minor scratch or light wound
31-60 – Medium wound, at worst resulting in a scar
61-75 – Deep wound to extremities with 10% chance of dying from wounds
76-90 – Deep wound to torso with 20% chance of dying from wounds
91-95 – Crippled or maimed with 50% chance of dying from wounds
96-100 – Dead

Firearms/ranged weapons are treated differently. Unlike with melee weapons, a duel involving firearms is usually just each participant firing one shot at each other rather than a continual fight until someone wins. In this case one, both, or neither participant may achieve a hit. A roll will be done for both players to determine how they fare in the duel. The modifiers from earlier are used here, but are halved with any decimals rounded up. Here are the possible outcomes for each participant:

1-5 – Weapon jammed
6-10 – Blank bullet
11-15 – Embarrassing miss
16-20 – Accidentally shot the opponent’s second
21-25 – Hit object nowhere near opponent
26-30 – Hit object near opponent
31-35 – Hit opponent’s clothing but not them
36-50 – Glancing blow but no wound
51-60 – Inflicted light wound
61-70 – Inflicted medium wound, at worst resulting in a scar
71-80 – Inflicted deep wound to extremities with 10% chance of dying from wounds
81-90 – Inflicted deep wound to torso with 20% chance of dying from wounds
91-95 – Crippled or maimed opponent with 50% chance of dying from wounds.
96-100 – Killed opponent

And here we have the other messy section, perhaps even outdoing the VP section. I've made so many changes here trying to get something to work. Still not certain I'm happy with the results. In the end I did use a VP-based system, since most of the coups were parliamentary in nature. The one for overthrowing the government gets special treatment though. I've designed it so militancy and various movements associated with a coup's goal make it easier for a successful coup. Players may also prepare coups overtime, making it easier to succeed, although also risking getting caught early. Comments here may be helpful, since there was so much to consider that I might have missed something.

Coups

A coup in this iAAR is defined as the manipulation or overthrow of a government through means of dubious legality or outright treason. These may vary in scope from simply trying to force a party from power to outright revolution. Any player may call for a coup at any time, or may choose to build up support first and trigger the coup at a later date. Only one coup may be attempted per turn. Players may attempt to convince notable royals to join their cause, in which case each would have VP equivalent to nobles, although the Emperor and heir receive 10VP.

When a coup is attempted, the percent of total player VP needed to succeed is determined by the type of coup, further modified by militancy and any movements associated with it. A bonus may be applied if the coup was prepared beforehand. For every point of militancy, 2% is subtracted, for a max of 20% at 10 militancy. If there is a movement or rebel group associated with the coup, such as supporting the passing of a specific reform or a certain ideology, a further 1% is subtracted for every 100k members, although this is capped at 20%.

When calculating VP for any coup other than overthrowing the government, the normal voting VP is used as if during a vote occurring in Parliament. That means that base VP is determined by franchise laws, players in Parliament have their base VP doubled, position VP is counted, and all other bonuses and penalties still apply. While this is biased towards those currently in power, this is meant to represent that forcefully going against a government is more difficult than through peaceful means. The impact of militancy on the total VP needed for a successful coup is meant to show that a government without popular support can find themselves forced from power, while support for reforms through movements can help force through a desired reform.

VP for a coup aimed at overthrowing the government is calculated differently from other coups. Most of the other coups mostly involve forces in Parliament targeting each other and are centred around politicians, hence why position bonuses and such matter. Overthrowing a government, especially in Victoria II, usually comes from some outside force, whether that is the people, military, or those excluded from power. For those in power or government, their VP is calculated as with any other coup, using the franchise laws for base VP and adding the usual bonuses and penalties. However, those without the franchise receive special treatment. Every character who currently does not have the franchise under a democracy or monarchy does not have the franchise penalty applied to their coup vote, but instead has their base VP doubled. So, for example, if the lower class does not have the franchise, instead of having their base 2VP lowered to 1VP due to not having the franchise, they would have it raised to 4VP for the coup vote. This is to represent that those classes excluded from power are more likely to turn against their government. Seeing as dictatorships do not use franchise bonuses and penalties, instead everyone’s is granted base 2VP for the coup vote, the equivalent of everyone being a member of the ruling party. Bonuses for positions and being in government still apply. It should be also noted that generals receive a bonus +5VP for this coup only.

When a player wishes to start a coup, they simply state in the thread that they’re starting the coup and what the goal is. All players then must choose whether they side with the coup or not. Players may change their vote, but their VP is halved to represent their shifting loyalties. If any player involved in the coup kills themselves off before the coup is completed, their vote is no longer counted. It should also be noted that the Minister of Justice has a 30% chance of learning of the coup beforehand once triggered, upon which their VP is doubled for the coup vote. All generals receive +5VP for coup votes if the goal is to overthrow the government. If successful, the resulting changes are immediately carried out. If the coup is of a violent nature, loyalists may be apprehended or killed. If a violent coup fails, a vote will be held where the loyalists decide the fate of the participants of the coup.

If players want to improve their chances of success, they may choose to gather support over time. Any player may, in a private post, state their intention to gather support for a potential coup to be carried out in the future. For every year that passes that they do this, they will lower the percent of player VP needed for the coup to be successful by 1%. If there are multiple players involved, they may also perform the same action to give a greater boost. However, there is a drawback to doing this. Every year that this extra support is gathered, there is a chance of discovery. The chance of discovery for each year is equal to double the percentage collected so far. Half of that chance will be for the Minister of Justice discovering the coup and the other half for it becoming public knowledge. A separate roll will be conducted for each member of the coup who is not the leader to determine if their involvement was discovered as well, but only if the coup itself was discovered. A conspirator that is caught may choose to reveal the other conspirators if they so choose. Choose your conspirators wisely.

Remove Ruling Party – 50% of player VP needed – If players are not pleased with the current government under a monarchy or democracy and want to see someone else in power, they may attempt to remove the current government from power. If successful, the current government loses the support it needs to remain in power. The opportunity is then given for another party to form a new ruling coalition, otherwise an election is called. Loyalists are not punished upon success, other than potentially losing positions. If the coup fails, those who participated lose 1VP for the next vote, but otherwise face no punishment for their disruption.

Force Reform – 60% of player VP needed – If players wish to force through or revoke a certain reform that has failed to pass, they can attempt to force the decision by garnering popular support to encourage cross-party support. This can only be done with in-game reforms that are one away from the existing reform. If successful, the reform is passed or revoked. Loyalists are not punished upon success. If the coup fails, those who participated lose 1VP for the next vote, but otherwise face no punishment for their disruption.

Abdication/Remove Head of State – 70% of player VP needed for monarchy or dictatorship/50% of player VP needed for democracy – If players are not pleased with the current Head of State, they may attempt to force them to give up their position. If successful under a monarchy, the current ruler abdicates and their heir or a suitable replacement with a legitimate claim from their family takes their place. If successful under a democracy, a new Head of State is elected. If successful under a dictatorship, whoever led the coup takes over as Head of State. Loyalists are not automatically punished upon success, although the new Head of State may choose to punish them if they wish. If the coup fails, those who participated lose 1VP for the next vote and may be punished by the Head of State if under a monarchy or dictatorship.

Revolution/Topple the Government – 80% of player VP needed – If players wish for another form of government, they may attempt to topple the current regime and institute a new order. The government to be formed must match that of one represented in-game. If successful, the current government is violently overthrown and a new one installed under the declared form. Loyalists are punished upon success. If the coup fails, those who participated will be imprisoned and put on trial.

And lastly we have a new feature. I felt trading companies were better suited for EUIV, but factories provided a new mechanic of a similar nature. Players who are capitalists may now purchase factories using special points called WP. I'll be using the performance of their factories in-game to decide how much money they'll make, or rather WP, and then they can spend it on more factories, improving their existing ones, or even VP. Should be a cool feature for those who choose to make use of it.

Capitalists & Factories

If a player chooses to make a character that is a capitalist, they are granted the ability to build and upgrade their own factories. Seeing as it’d be nearly impossible to determine the amount of money any capitalist would have or any profit made from factories, all wealth will be defined as Wealth Points or WP.

Each capitalist will be assigned 5WP to start. They can then spend their WP as they please to build or upgrade their factories. Each new factory costs 3WP, with every single level of expansion costing 1WP.

Every year in-game capitalists gain or lose WP based on the performance of their factories. For every factory that experiences a general profit over the year, the capitalist receives +1WP. If, however, a factory experiences a general loss over the year, the capitalist loses 1WP instead. If any factory is being subsidized by the government, the capitalist does not gain or lose any WP. It should be noted that the owner of any factory can refuse to accept subsidies from the government.

If at any point a capitalist no longer wants to keep a factory, either because they are no longer proving profitable enough or for some other reason, the player can choose to either shut the factory down or attempt to sell it to the state or another player. If it is shut down, the factory ceases to exist and the player receives no WP. To sell it to the state, the player must get the Minister of the Interior to agree to purchase it, with the player receiving 1WP for the base factory and an additional +1WP for every 2 levels of expansion rounded down. It should be noted that factories cannot be sold to the state if the ruling party has the laissez faire economic policy. If selling to another player, the price of the factory is completely up to the two players involved in the trade.

If at the end of any turn a capitalist has negative WP, they are at risk of going bankrupt. They then have a few options to consider. They can either choose to do nothing and hope that they’ll make enough profit to make it out of the hole the next turn, close down unprofitable factories, or sell some of their factories until they have positive WP. If the player chooses one of the first two options and they still have negative WP at the end of the following turn, they will officially be declared bankrupt. All except for their smallest factory will be seized by the state or private investors and their WP will be reset to zero. Other capitalists may choose to purchase any of these lost factories at the same price as the state pays out. If, however, the player chose to sell off factories first and then ended up with negative WP again, they will be granted another chance to avoid bankruptcy. It should be noted that the player will always be guaranteed to keep their smallest factory regardless of how many times they go bankrupt.

Capitalists also have the option to use their WP to give themselves bonus VP during a vote. Capitalists may choose to spend 2WP to grant themselves an extra +1VP for any voting session, election, or coup vote. This is capped at a max of 3VP for any vote, and the bonus will apply for that vote only.

Well there you have it, the new rules for the Vicky 2 portion. Comments are appreciated, since I want to have this finessed before consulting the mods for approval. Quite a few sections are pretty much copy and pasted from the EUIV portion, but others are new and should probably be looked over. I'm most iffy about how VP and coups may be handled. Some mechanics fail to ever be simple. I can already picture the headaches I'll have dealing with these things in the future. :rolleyes:))

Speaking of government, here is a list of all government types under Vicky 2. I've given a small description, some of which might be inaccurate (does anyone know what a bourgeois dictatorship is?), as well as how to peacefully transition to that government type. Certain governments are restricted in what party can take power, although technically all of them can exist as long as the underground parties reform isn't in place. I'm a bit uncertain about this restriction for the monarchies, since players should be able to come to power as long as they can form a coalition regardless of party ideology, but I'd have to figure out how I'd go about appointing parties. Is it possible to put one in power by event?
((I think that a bourgeois dictatorship is PDX's attempt at representing 19th century anarchism (anarcho-capitalism I think), where all power is centralized under a corporate oligarchy. Similar to what I understand libertarianism is the state's influence in private affairs is severely limited and those in power are heavily in favor of free trade and laissez faire capitalism.

HPM has events where if the political party of the correct ideology comes to power and the correct reforms are passed, the government will peacefully change to that government type. There are also a few vanilla events that do the same thing in Cleanup.txt.

You can put any ruling party in power (provided there's only one party per ideology) with the command ruling_party_ideology = (ideology). But you can also go in governments.txt and change which parties are allowed in certain government types. It's pretty easy to mod that file.))

((I think that a bourgeois dictatorship is PDX's attempt at representing 19th century anarchism (anarcho-capitalism I think), where all power is centralized under a corporate oligarchy. Similar to what I understand libertarianism is the state's influence in private affairs is severely limited and those in power are heavily in favor of free trade and laissez faire capitalism.

HPM has events where if the political party of the correct ideology comes to power and the correct reforms are passed, the government will peacefully change to that government type. There are also a few vanilla events that do the same thing in Cleanup.txt.

You can put any ruling party in power (provided there's only one party per ideology) with the command ruling_party_ideology = (ideology). But you can also go in governments.txt and change which parties are allowed in certain government types. It's pretty easy to mod that file.))

((Basically some vague form of government that has probably never existed so no one knows how to properly represent it. :p

I just went off the vanilla ones for how governments can chance peacefully, so I shouldn't need to change them. Good to know that it is possible though, just in case.

Well if that's the case, I'll change it so any party can technically come to power in a monarchy. While I get why the game does it, it doesn't make much sense for an iAAR. If the players, for whatever reason, what a communist or fascist as Prime Minister, they should have the option to do so within reason. I wonder what happens with that command when you do have multiple parties though. Does it just not work or does it randomly picks one to put in power?))

((Basically some vague form of government that has probably never existed so no one knows how to properly represent it. :p

I just went off the vanilla ones for how governments can chance peacefully, so I shouldn't need to change them. Good to know that it is possible though, just in case.

Well if that's the case, I'll change it so any party can technically come to power in a monarchy. While I get why the game does it, it doesn't make much sense for an iAAR. If the players, for whatever reason, what a communist or fascist as Prime Minister, they should have the option to do so within reason. I wonder what happens with that command when you do have multiple parties though. Does it just not work or does it randomly picks one to put in power?))
((It does work, it just picks one of them. I'm not really sure which one, but I think it would be the first party of the ideology from the top of the country's party list.))

((That would make playing a capitalist very interesting, even though my weapons might run a deficit. :p
Though I would have to leave the Fénix in capable hands - and forfeit the chance to lead another (more successful) glorious coup...
Hard decision to make. :confused:

The VP and composition parts only sound more complicated than it is. Likely there won't be much uproar concerning the composition anyway if the experience of this part is reliable - we accepted the outcomes well enough even if it was mostly rolling the dice before ;). Would perhaps take one or two turns before there are no further questions though.

Coups could perhaps be put in some direct relation to population, though that would only make it more complicated than it already is...

Though I've got an addition to propose - concerning in-game revolts. Players could be given the chance to support them/combat them. Depending on how easy it is to add POPs to a revolting faction, either more/less rebels, or the support would be represented by a certain amount of regiments excluded from fighting the rebels. Or the active revolt could just influence the coup chance.
The other way around could work too of course. If we are overrun in-game by, for example, reactionary rebels while our reactionary party actually is (somehow :p) a valued part of the government, it wouldn't make much sense for them to revolt en masse, and especially the reactionary players could attempt to salvage the situation. But on the other hand, this would add further potential for confusion.:confused:))

((That would make playing a capitalist very interesting, even though my weapons might run a deficit. :p
Though I would have to leave the Fénix in capable hands - and forfeit the chance to lead another (more successful) glorious coup...
Hard decision to make. :confused:

The VP and composition parts only sound more complicated than it is. Likely there won't be much uproar concerning the composition anyway if the experience of this part is reliable - we accepted the outcomes well enough even if it was mostly rolling the dice before ;). Would perhaps take one or two turns before there are no further questions though.

Coups could perhaps be put in some direct relation to population, though that would only make it more complicated than it already is...

Though I've got an addition to propose - concerning in-game revolts. Players could be given the chance to support them/combat them. Depending on how easy it is to add POPs to a revolting faction, either more/less rebels, or the support would be represented by a certain amount of regiments excluded from fighting the rebels. Or the active revolt could just influence the coup chance.
The other way around could work too of course. If we are overrun in-game by, for example, reactionary rebels while our reactionary party actually is (somehow :p) a valued part of the government, it wouldn't make much sense for them to revolt en masse, and especially the reactionary players could attempt to salvage the situation. But on the other hand, this would add further potential for confusion.:confused:))

((I imagine VP will be something I flesh out as we go. If something seems unbalanced, I shall fix it.

I included the movements for consideration for coups rather than population, since I felt that they best represent the segment of the population that would actually support a coup. There might be POPs of a specific ideology, but it's likely most of them would rise up against their government. This way we can consider those joining movements as those of each ideology willing to support a coup. It's much easier than looking at the overall population.

I wasn't quite sure what to do about rebels, and admittedly I forgot to address the issue. My original thought was not to force players to be tied to them. Like you said, it'd be silly if random rebels rose up even when we have a respectful party associated with that ideology. It'd be assumed that most of them would be radicals or those not associated with any specific party. Since players can use movements, and more importantly rebels that haven't revolted, to boost their success chance, the rebel groups can help with a coup.

The difficulty, of course, comes from any rebels' actual revolt. The problem with tying actual rebels to coups is that due to timing and our army strength, it could be likely that the rebels are wiped out before players even know about them. It would also tie success to the rebels rather than whatever vote we have here. Perhaps I could just give players the option to associate themselves with any active rebels and thus tie their fate to them. It'd be an alternate way of attempting a coup, one where its success is decided entirely in-game. Think of it as a circumstance where the people take things into their own hands rather than the more organized approach of whatever coups the players would be attempting. If it wins, they put those who associated with it into power. If not, they go down with it. As for if it succeeds and a player of that ideology did not associate it, we can assume they were purged for their lack of faith in the cause. :p))

3. Demand both French colonies
4. Give up both Hispanian colonies
5. Let Colonies handle it

Byzantium's Offer:
1. Refuse offer
2. Accept offer
Chinese Rebellion:
1. Crush rebellion
2. Invade Ming
Parliamentary Reform:
1. Trust in the royal prerogative
2. Present Constitutional
3. Push for Reform

Army Recruitment:
Recruit Colonial Subjects: No

3. Demand both French colonies
4. Give up both Hispanian colonies
5. Let Colonies handle it

Byzantium's Offer:
1. Refuse offer
2. Accept offer
Chinese Rebellion:
1. Crush rebellion
2. Invade Ming
Parliamentary Reform:
1. Trust in the royal prerogative
2. Present Constitution
3. Push for Reform

Army Recruitment:
Recruit Colonial Subjects: No

((The vote is now closed.

French Colonial Conflict: Exchange Nueva Sicilia for French La Plata
Byzantium's Offer: Accept offer
Chinese Rebellion: Crush rebellion
Parliamentary Reform: Trust in the royal prerogative

Army Recruitment:

The alternative vote came in handy here. For the colonial conflict, exchanging Nueva Sicilia was tied with letting the colonies handle it, but the two remaining votes all favoured Nueva Sicilia as their second choice. Byzantium was tied so I had to use an RNG to determine what would happen, and RNGesus has decided he favours pretty borders over historical possession. The parliamentary reform also tied, but only after using the alternative vote, so ultimately the royal prerogative had the higher numbers.))

1833-1834 - Crumbling Empire

Many members of Parliament had been secretly contemplating reform or even a constitution for years now, but when the time finally came for them to put their ideas forward, they floundered and held back. While support for these ideas was still strong, there were still far too many supporters of Joan de Trastámara in Parliament who would never support them. That also wasn't taking into consideration how the Regent would react, and anyone who knew him well knew that he would not take such challenges to his power lightly. Eventually the decision was taken to play the waiting game. Eventually Joan would be pushed from power, either through succession or other means. If the situation became more dire, then they would act. For now, they'd see what the Regent would do first.

The situation in Greece continued to deteriorate. Neither side seemed willing to give in. The riots had been brought to an end, but attacks on the opposing side were still carried out from time to time. As for Byzantium, they were growing antsy. They had moved an army near the border, anticipating the conflict to spread. As they had said before, if Hispania could not help its Greek subjects, Byzantium would. Byzantium's offer was still on the table, and as Greece continued to prove a problem, it became more and more appealing. Parliament was evenly divided on the issue, some believing it was time to let Greece go to achieve stability and keep relations positive with Byzantium, while others refused to give up Hispania's rightful claims to the land. Many suspected Joan would favour the latter, but the Regent surprised everyone when he opened negotiations with Byzantium. He agreed to their offer, stating that in order to bring peace to the region and achieve true financial stability after such turbulent economic times, the transfer of Hispanian Greece to Byzantium was needed. Ties to Byzantium had always been strong, and even with the land in their hands now, the people would still remain close to Hispania. Agreements were made to ensure the protection of those who favoured Hispanian rule who now found themselves in Byzantium and allow free travel between the two empires. The loan to Hispania was officially waived, removing a great burden to the Hispanian economy. Relations between Hispania and Byzantium were at an all-time high after negotiations were completed.

Negotiations with France went just as smoothly. While there was a growing group who didn't want Hispania to get involved at all, the Regent organized a conference with some French representatives to settle the matter peacefully. It would not do, after all, to let some minor colonial conflict escalate to a point where it threatened relations with Hispania's strongest ally. The current Regent of France was offering a exchange of massive tracts of land in La Plata and Australia, where each power would obtain complete control of one of them. This would inevitably displace large numbers of people and displease the locals, but the border conflicts would end for good. There were even some that wanted Hispania to demand both of France's colonies in the region, but such an idea was dismissed as unlikely to ever be accepted by France. Eventually it came down to who would receive what, although based on other possessions in the area, it seemed clear who would want what. Hispania's dominance of South America was undisputed, with only a few other colonies in the region controlled by others. As for Australia, France controlled half, as well as the nearby islands of Tasmania and New Zealand. Hispania would benefit more by strengthening their hold on La Plata, while France would benefit more from controlling all of Australia. Nueva Sicilia tried to protest in the Colonial Congress, but they had always been an outsider compared to the other colonial nations, all who favoured Nuevo Leon over them. Negotiations proceeded quite smoothly after this was agreed upon, and an agreement was struck. French La Plata was to be handed over to Hispania, while Nueva Sicilia would be given to France. The locals might well not be happy with the decision, but it was no longer their place to decide.

While Hispania was doing a good job of keeping its strongest allies happy, there was still the matter of the army to deal with. Recruitment was down and the ranks needed to be filled. Many different options were considered, with a few carried out. The draft was deemed unwise due to the unrest that would surely follow from forced service, while the choice to downsize the army was considered far too dangerous due to the rebellions Hispania had faced and was currently facing. The recruitment of colonial subjects was taken more seriously though. While their loyalty might be more suspect that most citizens, it was the colonial armies that needed the most men, and allowing colonial subjects to serve could well tie them to Hispania in a way that would ensure their support. To further draw in new recruits, financial incentives were offered, either in the form of pay raises or land. With the economy recovering quite nicely, especially now that the loan to Byzantium had been waived, such a thing was possible. The army would surely recover in time.

It would seem though that the army's recovery was not quick enough. The rebellions in India had seen many soldiers lose their lives and the constant transfer of troops to the troublesome areas had left Hispanian China vulnerable. The Exercit Cathay was not prepared for the rebellion that ensued, one backed by Ming financially if not militarily. The population around Canton was generally opposed to Hispanian rule, and the much larger Chinese population had the numbers to overwhelm the Hispanians in the region. The Exercit Cathay probably could have crushed the rebellion on its own if the rebels had been acting alone, but the support of Ming behind the scenes gave the rebels a much-needed advantage. The final nail in the coffin proved to be caused by another problem plaguing Hispania. Supplies for the troops were sent from Europe the moment riots had started. However, the pirates raiding the Red Sea, the very ones Hispania had failed to destroy, attacked the supply ships on the way to China. Most of the supplies were taken or lost, and the small amount that eventually made it to China was not enough to resupply the Exercit Cathay. With the population against them and low on supplies, the army had no choice but to retreat to more defensible ground. The Exercit Cathay holed itself up in Macau and Hong Kong while the rebels rampaged elsewhere. When it was clear that the Hispanian army would not be restoring order, the rebels raised the imperial flag of Ming in Canton, declaring themselves part of China once more. While Hispania refused to acknowledge they had lost any land to Ming through this rebellion, for now Hispania only had de facto control of Macau and Hong Kong.

Even while Hispania struggled to maintain order in East Asia, the situation at home was improving. The economy had mostly recovered, and many suspected there might well be a boom in the near future. Perhaps most important of all in regards to the economy was the growing presence of factories. These industrial buildings were showing up in greater numbers, using new techniques and large numbers of workers to mass produce new products at a much more rapid rate. Goods that once were crafted by artisans in workshops or at home could now be made by dozens of workers on an assembly line in a fraction of the time. Mass production promised the possibility of providing far more goods to a larger section of the population. Then there were the steel vehicles known as trains, capable of travelling at speeds previously unattainable on land, although requiring a laid-out track to traverse across. These trains allowed for the shipment of goods and people across land on a scale unheard of. Wealthy individuals and companies at the moment were providing most of the funding for these new ventures, but that did not mean they were the only ones. A government that became involved in the economy could build these factories as well to provide goods for the Hispanian people. The Industrial Revolution had arrived.

Overseas, a sleeping giant and one of Hispania's most silent allies made its presence known. The United Kingdom of America had been blissfully wallowing in isolation for decades, content with colonizing the west. There had been some competition for land with French Louisiana, but otherwise the UKA kept to itself. Indeed, the two allies had never fought in a war together, their alliance purely defensive at this point. Many suspected it was more of a formality at this point, lacking substance but showing a genuine desire for peaceful relations. Thus when a message arrived from the UKA requesting the purchase of Labrador, many were quite surprised. The UKA had shown interest in Hispania's tiny colony before, but had never done anything hostile about it. Now, as the UKA expanded, it seemed they desired to see their control of the east coast become absolute. They offered Hispania a hefty sum for the small colony, stating that in the interest of continued relations between the two, it should be made clear that the east coast of North America fell under the UKA's domain. Hispania possessed many colonies elsewhere anyway. Here was a chance for Hispania to fill up its treasury a bit more and keep an ally happy at the same time.

The rebellion in China was to have consequences elsewhere as 1834 progressed. Qing had watched their neighbour's action with interest. While the two nations had feuded constantly, they took inspiration from Ming's manipulation of the population to seize land back from the Europeans. From that they saw a vulnerable Hispania, one unable to defend its possessions in Asia. While Hispania had not taken any land from Qing, Korea was a tempting prize. Stirring up revolt would not work in Qing's favour, for the locals surely would prefer independence over Qing rule. Instead the land needed to be taken by force. Since Hispania had no army in the region, and the closest force was clinging on to what land in could in China, it seemed the optimal time to strike. For the first time in who knows how long, another nation officially declared war on Hispania. Qing announced its intention to claim the rest of Korea for itself and push the Europeans from East Asia. Hispania's position in the region was tenuous, but if luck was on their side they could still hold on to at least a part of it. Action just needed to be taken, and quick.

The events in East Asia provided a spark that reignited the desire of those seeking to topple Regent Joan from power. Not only had Hispania lost part of China while he was in charge, but now a backwards Asian nation had dared to declare war on Hispania, something unheard of in all of Hispanian history. Cracks were already starting to show, such as with him handing over Greece as an attempt to maintain order, and some of his decisions had caused dissent amongst certain subjects, such as with him giving up Nueva Sicilia for French La Plata. These men were stifled, unable to put forth the reforms they so desired. As long as Joan remained in power, Hispania would never progress. The Regent might be a symbol of stability and order, but the time for that was coming to an end. It was time for change. Men both inside and outside Parliament started to gathering with one goal in mind: forcing Joan from power. With him gone, reforms could finally be implemented, and perhaps even a constitution could be written. The coup was soon set in motion, and it would only take a matter of time to see if it had the needed support to topple the Regent once and for all.

((That was an eventful update. For those who might be sad that we gave up Greece, I'll let you in on a secret. If we had denied the request, Byzantium might have declared war. I even did the roll for that just to see what would have happened, and they would have attacked too. Looks like RNGesus saved us from war and kept our ally happy. The rebellion in China has also become quite historic, perhaps being the first time we've lost land not of our choice during these gap years and perhaps even since this iAAR started. This was one event where previous choices came back to bite us. The rebellions in India, the movement and use of troops throughout Asia, and the failure to crush those pesky pirates all added up to allow the rebels to win. The roll was very close though, so if we had perhaps made difference choices, we'd still control our land in China. Due to the closeness of the roll, I decided we managed to hold on to Macau and Hong Kong, and we'll still have cores on the land we lost going into Vicky 2. On the plus side, our economy is in good shape once more and we don't have a loan to worry about. :D

Now for that vote. First on the list is related to the Industrial Revolution. Here we simply choose whether we want the government to invest in industry or not dabble in the economy. Then comes the UKA's offer, where we choose whether or not to sell them Labrador. Qing's invasion requires attention, where we choose either to fend off the invasion or just hand over Korea to prevent further losses. And last but not least, we have the coup against Joan, where you simply choose whether or not to support it. Note, supporting the coup does not mean it will succeed, just that its chances will improve, just as supporting Joan does not guarantee its failure.

Industrial Revolution: Invest in industry/Do not meddle in the economy
2.​
UKA's Offer: Sell Labrador/Refuse offer
2.​
Qing's Invasion: Fend off invasion/Hand over Korea
2.​
Parliamentary Coup: Support the coup/Support the government
2.​

Players will have until Monday at 12PM PST to vote. Please put your votes in order of preference, although since they're all back to two-option votes, it doesn't really matter. If you want to make use of a stability or instability action, provided you haven't done so already, now is the time. It should be made clear that now is the last chance to use these actions if you haven't already. There may be one more vote after this, depending on what happens and what I decide to do, but stability actions will not be available for that vote.))

Industrial Revolution:
1.Do no meddle in the economy
2.Invest in industry

UKA's Offer:
1.Refuse offer
2.Sell Labrador ((Lusitania Forever!))

Qing's Invasion:
1.Fend off invasion
2.Hand over Korea

Parliamentary Coup:
1.Support the coup
2.Support the government

Industrial Revolution:
1. Invest in industry
2. Do not meddle in the economy
UKA's Offer:
1. Refuse Offer
2. Sell Labrador
Qing's Invasion:
1. Fend off invasion
2. Hand over Korea
Parliamentary Coup:
1. Support the coup
2. Support the government

((Dirty traitor Phoenixes shows their true colors by attacking in the midst of a time when Hispania must stay strong. :cool: ))

Industrial Revolution:
1. Invest in industry
UKA's Offer:
1. Sell Labrador
2. Refuse offer
Qing's Invasion:
1. Fend off invasion
2. Hand over Korea
Parliamentary Coup:
1. Support the government
2. Support the coup

Industrial Revolution:
1. Invest in industry
UKA's Offer:
1. Sell Labrador ((again, neat borders > everything else :p))
2. Refuse offer
Qing's Invasion:
1. Hand over Korea
2. Fend off invasion
Parliamentary Coup:
1. Support the coup
2. Support the government