• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Jury))
Duke de Alvaro rose to speak to the assembled jury members.
"I believe that it was merely an error on the part of General de Leon, and it is clear that he did not plan on hurting Hispania or any of its people or subjects.
I agree with Adalberto in which this trial is done for a political purpose. I believe he is innocent."

((Jury))
It is to my understanding that some of the arguments presented by the prosecution are... not very sound. The evidence, for example, seems to be cherry-picked from a wide range of Leon's writings to the restoration, and any reasoning using this has so far not taken in any context that the evidence was meant to be put in. Therefore I say that he is innocent until I can necessarily glean out a guilty charge from any arguments and evidence provided.

((Court-Probably before he gets unanimously declared not guilty.))
"General Leon, while he may have been over affirmative in his writings, cannot be considered guilty of treason. Perhaps his writing gave too much hope to the Restorationist rebels, but he was only trying to open negotiations where they could be held. It is possible the Restorationist rebels only attended the meeting at Malta because of his letters. Most importantly, he gave every letter himself, of his own accord. If he had been treasonous, would he have shown the letters? Obviously not, because he did not believe he had committed treason, showing he could not have had treasonous intent, and therefore did not commit treason, only a diplomatic mistake, something which anyone in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs could also do.

((He was not accused of treason, so all this talk of not sentencing him to treason isn't consistent with the crime that he was being charged with. The criminal act was plotting with the Restorationists, not whether he betrayed the Empire, and probably would not come with a punishment greater that potentially being removed from command for the duration of war in Byzantium, in case that was not clear.))

((I'll give another day for the jury to mull over things, specifically concerning Firehound's comments. If they still are leaning towards declaring Leon innocent, that will be the decision.))

The Greek Parliament and Restoration Movement have reached an impasse during negotiations at the Council of Malta. With Hispania having helped smooth out negotiations and bringing both parties to the table, but unable to get the two to agree to a final settlement, the nobles are considering accepting the Parliament's offer to meet in Crete to conduct a second stage of negotiations without Hispania.

((Negotiations have sort of fallen to the sideline, so I'll wrap them up with the trial. Seeing as I'm pretty much playing all the Greek sides, I'll have them work things out based on how far we got already.))

((So...am I free to go yet?))

By unanimous verdict, the jury has declared Duke Fernando de Leon innocent of all charges placed against him.

((Sorry for the delay. My brother is home for the holidays so we've been spending time together. I've been a bit distracted and sort of forgot to post this earlier. :confused:

Edit: Just realized I never closed the vote for Byzantium. Everyone voted intervention, so the outcome is obvious.))

Last edited:
((To Joan de Trastamara))

I formally request a promotion to Lieutenant General. I believe fully that I am capable of the duties need for such a high position

Stefano von Politz

((To Joan de Trastamara))

I formally request a promotion to Lieutenant General. I believe fully that I am capable of the duties need for such a high position

Stefano von Politz

With the likelihood that we are about to begin a full offensive against the rebel forces in Byzantium, I do not believe it is prudent to make changes to the command structure of the army. I also prefer to have a personal rapport with those serving beneath me. You shall serve with a regiment within the army I command so that I may see your abilities firsthand before I consider you for promotion.

- Prince Joan de Trastámara, Minister of War

((I already did the playthrough, so you wouldn't become a general for several years anyway. Consider yourself promoted at that point. I'll need a stat focus and a birth year seeing as he's a non-active character, although if he's the one who married Caterina then I already have the latter.

This is also a good time to mention that the update may not be up for some time. I'm working my way through it, but the holidays are a busy time and I have other things to do. I'm hoping to get it out either very late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.))

1804-1811 – The Restoration of Order

Even as rebellion in Byzantium and the related trial of Duke Fernando de Leon drew great attention, Parliament dealt with other key issues. The education system was improved on, expanding into higher education. The costs would rise, but Hispania’s education system would be second to none.

The Colonial Congress, unaware of what was going on in Byzantium, took the opportunity to present specific grievances from the colonies to Parliament and the Crown. The colonial nations felt that the continuation of tariffs was unfair and created an unbalanced relationship between Hispania and its colonial subjects. They requested an end to all tariffs and provided in return several guarantees, including continued shipments of gold and silver, and strengthened ties to Hispania. The response was generally favourable, or at least ambivalent. The colonies walked away happy and unquestionably loyal, their concerns addressed yet again.

As the days passed at the beginning of 1804, everyone watched Byzantium, wondering how events would proceed. The Council of Malta fell apart a few days in. The Greek Parliament, Basileus, and Restoration Movement managed to work out a few points, but could not agree on anything definite. As it became clear that the Hispanian Parliament would favour military intervention if negotiations fell through, combined with the conflicting opinions of the Hispanian representatives at the Council, the Greek Prime Minister Alexandros Kapodistrias decided it was better to bide his time and refused to budge on any points. He pushed for the surrender of the Restoration Movement, with no reforms implemented to favour the nobles, knowing that if they didn’t accept they would get crushed by Hispania’s military anyway. The Restoration Movement, seeing its Turkish support base siphoned away by the Greek Parliament’s agreement to implement the desired electoral reforms and with Hispania’s inaction, felt they had no choice but to agree to a second council in Crete without Hispania. Most likely they would fail to achieve any of their demands, but perhaps they could at least seek amnesty or minor changes. This proved to be their biggest mistake.

Upon arriving at Crete, Duke Constantine Katakalon and his fellow nobles were rounded up and placed under arrest. Despite protests that this violated the promise of diplomatic immunity, the Byzantine Government claimed it had never agreed to such a thing and only Hispania had. Now on Greek soil, the nobles were subject to Greek law. Duke Katakalon, as the leader of the nobles, was given a day-long trial before being charged with treason and executed. The remaining nobles were locked up and used as hostages to convince their families to lay down their arms. Instead this had the opposite effect, spurring on the nobles in Anatolia to continue their fight, fearing they’d face the same treatment as Duke Katakalon when the conflict ended. Despite this, the Restoration Movement was in trouble. They had lost a key leader and many of their own, as well as the bulk of their support from the Turks. Men were deserting from their hastily formed armies, and the nobles’ army outside Constantinople fled north to Burgas in the confusion. With the Hispanian army preparing to march into Byzantium to crush both rebellions, their time was limited.

The confusion amongst the nobles’ forces proved contagious. The retreat of the army outside Constantinople raised alarm amongst the ranks of the revolutionary forces attacking the city. The fact that key documents had fallen into the hands of the Hispanian Ministry of Justice allowed for Hispania and Byzantium to wreck havoc on communications amongst the revolutionaries. Unable to contact other revolutionary armies, rumour spread that the Byzantine army, along with the Hispanian army, were preparing to launch an attack. The retreating nobles were surely a sign of the suspected invasion. Before the army could even fully engage the one guarding Constantinople, men started deserting and fleeing to the countryside. The entire revolutionary army, lacking a cohesive command structure and plagued with paranoia, completely disintegrated. Within the first month, the rebellions were already falling apart.

The Byzantine army did not take long to take advantage of the confusion. Even as the revolutionary army outside Constantinople dissipated, they were already marching onto the retreating nobles’ force. General Matthaios Rhadinos launched a relentless offensive to defeat them before they could restore order amongst their ranks. He proved quite successful, securing the capital for the moment.

As the Greeks were moving into action, so was the Hispanian army. The four armies in Italy and Provence were marching into the Balkans, while the Exercit Valencia landed in Athens to assist the army there in eradicating the revolutionary force in Morea before it could threaten the Hispanian province. Prince Joan de Trastámara took command and ensured Athens remained safe.

Meanwhile, in the Balkans, the first armies met a revolutionary force in Lika. Captain General António Dias crushed the rebels as Lieutenant General Martí de San Dionisio assisted the Greeks in Serbia. Dias followed up with an attack on the army in Zeta, quickly eliminating that threat. Over in the Levant, the Exercits Jerusalem and Africa moved against the first of the noble armies near the Hispanian border.

The Hispanians maintained momentum as they swept over the rebel forces. A noble army in Kallinikos near the Persian border was attacked next and kept from pushing south towards Jerusalem. Prince Joan de Trastámara sailed across to Mylasa and met up with the Greeks for an attack on the army in Kutahya, which was a bit too close to the Hispanian province and Constantinople for comfort. With the help of the Greeks, the entire army was eradicated.

By the summer of 1804, the last of the two revolutionary armies were engaged. Three armies under Dias marched on the one in Kastoria, while San Dionisio went after the one in Silistria. The latter proved little problem, although the revolutionary force in Kastoria put up a difficult fight. It took almost two months before the last of the revolutionaries were dislodged and their army crushed.

Meanwhile, in Anatolia, the remainder of the nobles’ forces were dealt with. Prince Joan de Trastámara coordinated with the Greeks to keep the army in Bolu from reaching Constantinople, while the army in Sivas was dispatched with ease. The last of the rebel forces had been defeated. All that remained was to root out those that remained in their entrenched positions scattered across Byzantium.

The following year involved the long process of restoring the government’s control to the outlying regions of Byzantium. Slavonia was the first to be reacquired, but it was a long and costly process. At one point the treasury experienced a deficit trying to keep up with costs for reinforcements, but it lasted only briefly.

In international news, Hejaz grew bold and decided to pounce on Yemen while they were distracted with Najd.

The struggle of the revolutionaries in Byzantium had left a lasting impression on Hispania. Seeing the success of the first Greek Revolution and the violent radicalism of the attempted second one provided valuable insight into revolutionary ideals. Perhaps a more lasting impression was left by the transition from muskets to rifles, which had much greater accuracy.

Persia swallowed up most of Baluchistan and kept Delhi at bay. Apparently they had swallowed up their pride after being kicked out of Arabia and decided to focus elsewhere.

In February of 1805, King Hakon I of Scandinavia came of age. Without any brothers or children, succession was in question. The French insisted that young Emperor Louis XXI would thus be next in line, and a few nobles on the regency council made a point of stating that Hispania had no claim to the throne. Emperor Alfons IX didn’t comment on that statement, although he was noticeable absent whenever the French ambassador was present.

Arabia become even more of a battleground as Kaffa took its own shot at Najd. The only Arabian power either not friendly with Hispania or forced to trade with them, Kaffa was an unknown in the region and their expansion was considered a potential threat to Hispanian interests. For the moment thought, no intervention would be taken.

Every advantage was needed when it came to the military. Small improvements were made to ships in the navy, despite the negligible difference they made, if only to improve morale.

Preoccupied with Najd, Yemen was in no condition to handle Hejaz as well. The tiny state, previously reduced to just the holy city of Mecca, managed to expand northwards.

By the start of 1806, the last of the rebel strongholds in Byzantium had been rooted out, but their presence left a large stain on politics. The actions of the current government, especially those of Prime Minister Alexandros Kapodistrias, were blamed for the recent predicament. The leftist parties were weakened as they were more closely viewed in the same light as the revolutionaries, with a few leftist parliamentarians revealed to have ties to the radical revolutionaries. The right, on the other hand, saw a great shift in its favour. The execution of Duke Katakalon was not taken well by many, viewed as a betrayal of trust, and there was fear that current government would start sliding towards more radical actions like that. There was also the fact that the promised reforms had yet to be implemented. The Prime Minister had decided to wait, making the electoral reform an election promise. This ended up backfiring for him. When the election finally came, the Prime Minister’s party saw a drop in seats, although it remained the largest party in the Legislative Assembly.

The drama did not end there. The Prime Minister had maintained the confidence of the Legislative Assembly during his first two terms, but with his party down in seats and the left in turmoil, the likelihood of him accomplishing that was slim. The right-leaning parties now had the majority and were more cohesive. The Basileus, utilizing a loophole and poor phrasing in the Constitution, appointed a conservative Assemblyman as prime minister with the right-leaning parties forming a coalition. Soon a constitutional crisis emerged over whether the “largest party” requirement for forming a government included parties forming a coalition. Unable to maintain the confidence of the Legislative Assembly anyway, the liberals had no choice but to accept that the conservative parties would be in power for now.

Scotland had focused its colonial endeavours to the far north in Alaska as they declared war on Haida. They had already blocked of expansion north for Hispania, although interest in the region had been slim over the years.

Lithuania’s adventures in Central Asia were going quite well as they conquered several provinces from Delhi. More importantly, they took the opportunity to weaken the Asian behemoth, forcing them to return land to Ming and set Afghanistan free.

Two noble families in Africa were getting into a heated debate. The Crown made a point of keeping out of these conflicts.

The colony in Tagloc became self-sufficient, allowing for the Crown to sponsor a colony in Butuan as requested by Parliament.

With the rebellions in Byzantium at an end and peace restored, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs decided to pursue some colonial ventures in Indonesia. The first target was Buton, a tiny island nation near Makassar.

Buton’s army proved incapable of defending their island from the Exercit Colonial.

The Italian issue had fallen aside for a time, with the autonomists having failed twice now. Many were opting to focus on local governments and improving things at home rather than at a national level. This seemed to be meeting with moderate success, especially since the regional governments seemed to match the sentiment of the people. The one area of conflict proved to be Calabria, where the government and Neapolitan majority were very pro-centralization, but the significant Sicilian minority were not. The two sides clashed bitterly for a few years before public sentiment finally shifted in favour of centralization. ((It has bugged me that there was that one province in Naples not of Neapolitan culture. Decided to use that for a minor Italian side story. :D))

Emperor Louis XXI de Valois came of age in November of 1806, with his first cousin, once removed, Jean as heir.

The first year of the new conservative government in Byzantium led to some major changes as the Constitution was challenged. The ruling coalition immediately went about proposing reforms and amendments, attempting to solve the problems that had led to the two rebellions and preventing a further slide towards revolution. Presenting a giant block reform reminiscent of Empress Dowager Sophia’s Great Reform, the coalition attempted to win over the necessary number of liberals needed for constitutional amendments while imposing the changes they desired. Clarification was given for how the government was formed, stating that the Basileus would appoint whichever party he believed could gain the confidence of the Legislative Assembly, either through a coalition or implicit support of a majority of Assemblymen, essentially allowing the Basileus more freedom to choose instead of forcing him to pick the largest party. The Senate was to be majorly reformed, based on the suggested reforms made by the Basileus at the Council of Malta as a good middle path. The Senate was to be turned into a purely appointed body, with three-fourths appointed by the ruling government and one-fourth by the Basileus, and all senators serving for life. The latter choice of grant some appointing powers to the Basileus was seen as a way to allow potential representation for the nobles without outright giving it to them, something that had gained in popularity after the previous government’s actions at the Council of Crete. Other minor things were thrown in, mostly to work out the kinks that had developed since the Revolution. To get the liberals to agree to such changes, the key electoral reform granting fair representation to the Turks was thrown in. If they refused to pass the giant reform, they would inevitably lose the support of the Turks. Faced with that possibility and unable to prepare an adequate opposition, enough liberals voted for the reforms to allow it to pass.

Panay became self-sustaining in early in 1807, allowing for the colonization of Visayas.

Najd’s position in Arabia was jeopardized as they lost most of their land to Kaffa. At around the same time, Buton’s capital fell and their island was annexed.

Peace was only momentary in the region. The Exercit Cathay had already been moved to Palembang to launch an assault on Siak before Pasai could reconquer the state. War was declared and expansion in Indonesia continued.

Unlike with Buton, Siak’s army did not scatter at the beginning of battle. They put up a minor resistance, killing several hundred men before surrendering.

Cremona had been a minor problem for decades, simply due to the presence of Milanese separatists and its unique Lombard population that prevented it from being effectively merged into other nearby regions. After some concerted efforts, the province was reconciled with the nearby Romagnans and the issue laid to rest.

Scotland put an end to Haida’s independence, conquering the island tribe.

Transdacia made a surprise appearance in Siak, sending 4k men for the war effort.

The wars in Indonesia were proving immensely popular. With the death toll significantly lower than in other wars closer to home and the praises from the Church of Jesus Christ calling for efforts to enlighten the heathens, many favoured colonial expansion.

Najd’s war with Yemen ended in a draw, perhaps the best outcome for both sides after getting preyed on by their neighbours.

Byzantium decided to better resolve its domestic issues by uniting the population behind a single cause. Persia had long been an enemy of Byzantium, so they opted to declare war on their hated neighbour. In an attempt to stave off the anti-religious sentiment that had stirred up during the Revolution, the government focused on the religious nature of the enemy. This was to be a Holy War, the efforts of a Catholic people to enlighten the heathens of the world. This war was also to prove a testing ground for the Greeks. Here they would prove that they could manage on their own, for this would be their first war without Hispania in centuries.

The war against Siak proved an easy affair, with the entire nation annexed by April. This was not to be the end of the Indonesian Wars though. There was one last enemy to face. Sunda held land on two islands mostly owned by Hispania. That was to be rectified now. This war was likely to be more challenging than the last two, for Sunda had a sizeable fleet. Grand Admiral Albino Dionisio de Sevilla and the Armada del Pacific were going to be needed for this conflict.

The Canton trade fleet ran into one of Sunda’s trade fleets. Two enemy ships were sunk in the process. The second battle at sea did not go so smoothly. Sunda’s main fleet chased down the Malacca trade fleet and sank four ships before sailing off. Sevilla had gone to secure the straits between Java and Sumatra for the army’s crossing and missed his opportunity to strike back. The ports in China were tasked with replacing the lost ships.

On land though, things went better. Lieutenant General Martí de San Dionisio was sent overseas to take charge of the war effort. Originally from the colonies, he was believed to be best suited for such a venture. He proved most capable when he forced Sunda’s army from their own capital.

A few Assemblymen expressed an opinion that current army research was backwards and useless. They were part of the minority and summarily ignored.

The colony in Yaqui reached completion, with resources shifted to the Philippines again to colonize the last piece of the island chain with Bikol.

The potential for another dynastic crisis occurred with the death of King Karl V Albrecht of Germany. His son Georg ascended to the throne, but lacked an heir. Yet another throne could possibly fall into French hands. The Valois line was powerful enough, but the balance was maintained by keeping the thrones separate. Lithuania expressed concern at the possibility of the French Emperor ruling over Germany as well. As for Scandinavia, King Hakon I sired a son earlier in the year, removing the potential woes of a doubtful succession.

Byzantium’s war against Persia was going deceptively well. At first glance, it seemed that Byzantium was making little gains, for the only province occupied was one of their own by Persia. However, reports stated that the bulk of Persia’s army was all but gone, while Byzantium had at least 90k men in the field. Persia’s manpower was depleted and the likelihood of putting up a capable defence was unlikely.

The Trans-Atlantic Trading Company started facing some difficulties in West Africa. The Africans colonies had begun to stagnate, and the French and Scandinavians were more increasingly trading in the region. The government was not paying much attention to particulars such as that, instead focusing on trying to manipulate trade routes to steer the way that most benefited Hispania.

By September, Sunda’s capital of Pakuan had fallen. San Dionisio engaged their army again, this time in Cirebon, forcing them to retreat further east. Sunda’s main fleet was also leading Sevilla on a merry chase around Java, but that was soon to come to an end. The Colonial fleet was waiting in Katapang, and when the enemy fleet sailed into Karimata Strait, they attacked. While the transport fleet was outmatched, their purpose was to keep the enemy occupied until Sevilla arrived. Instead Sunda retreated to Kalapa, fleeing to port. Sevilla formed a blockade outside the province, trapping the enemy fleet at last.

Europe was becoming unusually peaceful as the larger powers consolidated and formed lasting ties with each other. This didn’t mean that war ceased to exist all together. Germany, citing nationalism as its reason for war, attacked Poland. With Scandinavia blocking off expansion north and Bavaria having been given Austria’s lands, their only avenue of expansion was through Poland.

The TATC continued to flounder in West Africa, but Hispania’s trading empire as a whole was flourishing. The merchant class was growing, with focus shifting towards Asia. ((We somehow got yet another merchant. I sent him to Bengal for now.))

While Sunda’s main fleet was trapped in port, they still had another sailing the nearby waters. They launched a surprise attack on the Malacca trade fleet, sinking four ships before the fleet escaped. Replacement ships were placed under construction in China, and the shipyards were expanded in nearby Taiwan to prepare for any further potential losses.

Malwa, having faced significant losses to Hispania, turned to diplomacy instead. Baluchistan, who had been reduced to a rump state, agreed to become a vassal of Malwa.

By March of 1809, Cirebon fell as well. San Dionisio moved against Sunda’s army, which was trying to retake their capital. Yet again they had to flee east or face utter defeat.

The tiny island nation of Ternate was annexed by their equally tiny neighbour of Tidore.

After chasing the remaining fleet of Sunda’s around, the Colonial fleet finally caught them off the coast of Terre Australe. Despite their near equal number of heavy ships, the transports weren’t that helpful. Six light ships were sunk, but at the loss of two three-deckers. With the ports in China already busy, ships had to be constructed in Korea instead, for there were few provinces with the appropriate infrastructure in East Asia.

The victory against Sunda’s second fleet wasn’t too much of a loss though. They ended up fleeing to port. Sevilla sent 40 of his ships from the Armada del Pacifico to trap them in port, while the transport fleet hunted down a tiny fleet of 8 ships.

In some colonial news, the colony of Butuan was growing nicely and people were flocking to the colonies. The response of the government to send aid to Visayas when a breakout of Roman Fever occurred surely helped.

Brunei was the next to fall, opening up the way to the rest of Borneo.

Delhi’s recent losses were clearly causing internal problems as Guge managed to break free.

Sunda managed to retake Pakuan, their capital, in October. A single light ship also encountered one of Sunda’s on the way to replace those lost in the other fleets, but had to retreat to avoid being sunk. At least the final significant fleet was trapped in port.

Kendal fell next, allowing San Dionisio to take the initiative against Sunda. Another battle occurred, with similar results to previous ones. Transdacia’s army had moved in and was besieging Sunda’s capital, so San Dionisio focused on taking the remaining fort in eastern Java. On the way east, he encountered the demoralized Sunda army, which was unable to prepare an adequate defence. The remainder of the army was wiped out.

Germany made the odd choice of not taking land from Poland and instead pilfered their treasury. No one was quite sure what this had to do with nationalism.

Baluchistan, now protected by Malwa, was able to finish the process of westernization.

Progress is Borneo was going smoothly, especially with no enemy army present. Another fort fell, leaving only one left.

In Java, small regiments were mustering in the west and preparing an assault on Transdacia’s army. San Dionisio took half of the Exercit Cathay and marched west. He did not arrive in time to save Transdacia’s army, which retreated to the safety of Sumatra, although Transdacia had managed to capture the capital before being attacked. The general avenged the Transdacians quickly though, eliminating the enemy army in a week.

The TATC’s problems did not apply only to West Africa. East Africa was facing similar difficulties. Some credited this to the increasing focus on Asia and the Suez Canal allowing trade to bypass most of Africa entirely. At least the navy was not so neglected anymore. Hispania had more than enough naval supplies, a handy thing with the navy playing such a major role in the current war.

With Sunda starting to recruit regiments in bulk to rebuild their army, San Dionisio started sweeping across Java, occupying provinces as he went. In the process, Sunda’s navy was forced from its hiding place. The remainder of the Armada del Pacifico abandoned its blockade to assist. Sevilla managed to secure a major victory, sinking the entire enemy fleet while losing only two ships. The shipyards in China went to work again.

The last fort in Borneo fell in August of 1810, and the armies swept south. Sunda’s second navy managed to escape during the movement of fleets, but it hid in a poor spot, forced to leave the moment the province was captured. Yet again, Sevilla sank the enemy fleet, this time with no losses.

At this point, Sunda wasn’t in much more of a position to resist. Instead of pursuing complete occupation, a peace treaty was signed forcing Sunda to hand over all their land outside Java. This would secure two key islands for Hispania, allowing for the Empire to dominate the region, or at least the trade flowing through there.

In colonial news, the colony in Seri became self-sufficient. The placement of a new colony was a more difficult choice. All of the Philippines was colonized, while space in Indonesia was limited. Only a few provinces remained in New Guinea, with only one proving to be uncontested albeit surrounded by other nations’ colonies. The optimal choice proved to be already claimed by Byzantium of all nations. Apparently the Greeks felt the need to have at least one colony to show that they were equal to the other great powers of the world. Hispania had to settle for colonizing Heiltsuk in North America, securing that little corner of the world surrounded by larger powers.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, King of Transdacia, Duke of Bavaria, and Protector of the Greeks.

It is good to see you all again. The years are starting to weigh down on me, yet I still enjoy consulting Cabinet and Parliament. Affairs of state always require attention, and age is no excuse to ignore such demands. I promise to remain vigilant in my duties until the day I die.

It appears we have little to discuss at times like this. Europe is calm for once. The end of the rebellions in Byzantium have restored order. The Greeks have taken a pro-active approach, flexing their muscles abroad with war against their traditional enemy of Persia, as well as joining the ranks of the colonial powers with their first colony in New Guinea. There were times I feared the change in relations with Byzantium, but I believe it has proved the best option for the Greeks, as well as the Turks who have now joined their brethren across the Bosphorus in making Byzantium a truly worthy empire. It is hard to believe that the Turks were once the scourge of the region.

Our own colonial endeavours have proven highly successful. Our possessions in Indonesia have grown tremendously, and will undoubtedly bring in much more wealth. Prosperity is good for the Empire and its people.

((Sorry for the delay in getting this update out. No one wants to work on such things during the holidays. :D Anyway, ministers will have until Wednesday at 12 PM PST to post their plans, and players may propose laws during that time. I’m giving a bit more time this time to allow people to ease back into things easier. We also have a mission to consider, but as always they are very generic. The Minister of Education has to be replaced in 1812, so this is a good time to suggest replacements, otherwise we get an independent NPC.

Pensioners:
@Robban204
@DragonOfAtlantis

))

The Election of 1808

The Election of 1808 proved fairly unremarkable, in that no major changes occurred. The Imperials and Reconquista saw the largest rise in seats in the Assembly, the Imperials gaining in popularity thanks to the Empress Dowager's foreign policies in Indonesia and the Reconquista seeing a rise in support after Duke Leon was unanimously acquitted in his trial in 1804. Los Campos continued to make gains in votes, albeit barely noticeable when looking specifically at seats, while Marina stagnated. Phoenix saw a drop, losing the gains it recovered over the past few years as people started drifting towards more moderate parties after the events in Byzantium. Edredón faced the worse loss, losing all its remaining seats. With no representation in Parliament, the party was all but dead. As for the Cortz, changes were minor due to the few remaining independents left to sway. Only a single non-appointed independent remained holding three seats, while the rest had joined one party or another.

While the election itself did little to change things and the independents disappeared in the Cortz, the most dramatic change to occur revolved around the appointed seats in both houses. Emperor Alfons IX had promised to help produce a more fairly represented Parliament by granting appointed seats to specific parties rather than encouraging all appointees to remain independent. Never one to dabble in partisan politics, the Emperor purposely appointed an equal number of seats to each party in the Assembly, with the exclusion of Edredón which had disappeared during the election, giving each party five seats. For the Cortz, the Emperor tried a similar strategy, although in this instance he hesitated to appoint a Phoenix member due to their lack of representation in the Cortz. A third of appointed members in the Assembly were now part of a party, and roughly half of the Crown representatives in the Cortz were as well.

Assembly

Independent (Appointed) - 50 (-25)
Independent - 12 (-1)
Imperial - 59 (+10)
Reconquista - 27 (+9)
Marina - 49 (+5)
Los Campos - 66 (+6)
Phoenix - 37 (+1)
Edredón - 0 (-5)

Cortz

Independent (Crown) - 6 (-4)
Independent - 3 (-1)
Imperial - 28 (+2)
Reconquista - 25 (+1)
Marina - 12 (+1)
Los Campos - 18 (+1)

((I've opted not to show the appointed members that have been assigned to each party separately as I've done with the independents. I do keep track of them in my spreadsheet, so I will know exactly how many there are for each party if anyone is ever curious about the exact numbers. At the moment they should be obvious since they were divided evenly amongst parties.))

On June 15 1809, at the age of 90, Empress Dowager Sophia de Trastamara went to join the Lord in Heaven.

Her titles were inherited by her son Emperor Alfons, and their succession laws altered on her deathbed to have them match his other titles.

With her end, the Mandromenoi are now extinct.

Last edited:
JpsioAG.png

Although it has been over a year since my mother's passing, I still mourn her loss. She contributed much to this nation, and without her I may not have ever lived to this day. I can still recall when she carried me from the palace on her shoulder, fleeing Montségur's lackeys. There were time when we clashed, and undoubtedly many of you butted heads with her. She could be stubborn, but she was brave, she was passionate, and she was loyal. Not once did I ever question her intentions, for I knew she always had Hispania's best interests at heart, at least in her mind, and more importantly she had mine as well. She wanted the best for me, and although she lived a long productive life, I still wish we had had more time together. Hispania is what it is now thanks to her. In tribute to her memory, I wish to induct her posthumously into the Royal Order of the Light. May she find solace in God's embrace.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, King of Transdacia, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

Name: Maximiliao Dias, Count of Porto
House: Cortz
Party: Imperial
DOB: July 26 1785
Bio: Grandson of the Captain General Antonio Dias, Maximiliao's experience in the Army started young as a servant boy for his Grandfather. Growing up in the Army Supply Train, few know the aspects of war better than the current Sergeant Major General. With the death of his grandfather a few years ago, he seeks to replace him in High Command. A very vocal supporter of the Imperial Faction, he is one of the leading members of the Faction following the death of its undisputed leader, keeping the faction together and united in purpose.

Reactions:
Ministry of the Navy plan:
Begin construction of a fourth fleet. Begin with 30 Threedeckers and 20 Archipelago Frigates. After the initial stage is done, expand it by adding 45 transport ships. Station the fleet somewhere in India.
The new fleet will be named Flota de l'India

Your Highness,

I have served in the Army most of my life, and have earned the rank of Sergeant Major General in my own right starting as a Cazadores Lieutenant, but I have noticed that High Command has an opening after the passing of my Grandfather. I do believe that it would be appropriate for me to replace him.

Maximiliao Dias, Count of Porto

Your Highness,

I have served in the Army most of my life, and have earned the rank of Sergeant Major General in my own right starting as a Cazadores Lieutenant, but I have noticed that High Command has an opening after the passing of my Grandfather. I do believe that it would be appropriate for me to replace him.

Maximiliao Dias, Count of Porto

The passing of your grandfather does indeed leave an opening in the army's high command. One of your lineage is surely welcome. Of course, I will need your assurances on certain matters. The army has been abused in the past, with certain individuals using it to seize power for themselves. I must therefore be very careful with who I select for such positions. I require a guarantee that you will remain loyal, not just to the Crown but me personally. I need men I can trust going into the future, men who will do what is necessary to protect the Crown and Hispania. If you can promise me this, you shall be promoted to the position of Lieutenant General.

Now that you have served under me for a number of years, I believe it is time to consider your promotion. We always have need of men of your skill. Before I make my final decision, I require an oath. I must be certain that you will be loyal to both the Crown and myself, for generals in the past have used their positions to commit great evils. If you can assure me that I can trust you, the position of Lieutenant General is yours.

((Just need a stat focus @Duke Dan `the Man` and we're good to go.))

At this time, I do not believe the army is in need of expansion, not until we are better capable of providing funds for such an increase in number of troops. However, I do wish to make some changes to the high command. With the passing of Captain General Antonio Dias, we lack good men high up in the ranks. Despite past tribulations, Lieutenant General Fernando de Leon has proven his worth and his family's legacy speaks for itself. Lieutenant General Martí de San Dionisio played a crucial role in our war with Sunda. I believe both are worthy of promotion to the rank of Captain General.

The passing of your grandfather does indeed leave an opening in the army's high command. One of your lineage is surely welcome. Of course, I will need your assurances on certain matters. The army has been abused in the past, with certain individuals using it to seize power for themselves. I must therefore be very careful with who I select for such positions. I require a guarantee that you will remain loyal, not just to the Crown but me personally. I need men I can trust going into the future, men who will do what is necessary to protect the Crown and Hispania. If you can promise me this, you shall be promoted to the position of Lieutenant General.

Now that you have served under me for a number of years, I believe it is time to consider your promotion. We always have need of men of your skill. Before I make my final decision, I require an oath. I must be certain that you will be loyal to both the Crown and myself, for generals in the past have used their positions to commit great evils. If you can assure me that I can trust you, the position of Lieutenant General is yours.

((Just need a stat focus @Duke Dan `the Man` and we're good to go.))

At this time, I do not believe the army is in need of expansion, not until we are better capable of providing funds for such an increase in number of troops. However, I do wish to make some changes to the high command. With the passing of Captain General Antonio Dias, we lack good men high up in the ranks. Despite past tribulations, Lieutenant General Fernando de Leon has proven his worth and his family's legacy speaks for itself. Lieutenant General Martí de San Dionisio played a crucial role in our war with Sunda. I believe both are worthy of promotion to the rank of Captain General.

((To the Minister of War))

I thank you for even considering this, I will not betray this nation, I assure you. Although my word is true, I do still need to take this oath. Tell me where to go, and I will find you.

Sincerely,
Stefano Von Politz

((And fire))