• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((In this paragraph, is Faixon addressing Justinian? o_O If so, Justinian hasn't talked about this act at all whatsoever. It's not his, either. ;) ))

((Should perhaps clarify it more next time, but it is just another usual speech of his in the Parliament. First addressed to Lagos in particular, but for the entire Parliament to enjoy or hate. :D

((On a side note, thanks for pointing out that paragraph because it reminded me that I was going to mention something regarding trials. It is likely, unless players want otherwise, that all player trials will be done by jury even if the law suggests judges only. This is the natural transition from the Council deciding the verdict for trials before. Of course if people really want to we can decide player trials by judge too, but that means I'll have to make all the verdicts as an NPC judge. I tend to lean towards allowing other players to serve as jurors instead.))

Player trials are only on serious crimes anyway, and we have a tradition for jury trials in some form since 1487. It's just that for the other trials, I think it would be a great break with tradition (experts of Spanish law history, step forward :rolleyes:), Hispania isn't England.))

(( Argh T-T Yet another act I wanted to propose got sweeped right in front of my face.
And so I'm left with 1/3 of what I wanted to proposed... Oh well... ))

((Private))

When you reach my age, you tend to see past individual actions and look at the intention and trend set by those actions.

Is the formation of local governments evil and self destructive? Not necessarily. Do I believe the Phoenix will simply be content with their success and not attempt to introduce legislation to further increase the power of these local governments? Most certainly not. We have not seen the last of this issue, and soon I fear we will be debating whether the local laws should take precedence over Imperial law, or even the right to deny Imperial recruitment to the Army and Navy and taxation! Unthinkable now, but a trend has been started. Perhaps in your old age...

And not all focus on their well-being is good, mind you. Imagine, if they could, an Area were to decide that they will not support a war in defense in our trade interests. Like Castile. They are no great trade area so inland with no port. Imagine if Castile were to deny us recruitment and taxation for a war because they see no benefit for themselves. They are thinking of their own well-being, but that is not good.

The Emperor may be human, yes. But he is not the only human. The humans in the local government may short-sightedly trade long term health for short term gain. They may make a self-destructive decision. They may even make a decision that will destroy more than just themselves. And right now, neither the Emperor nor Parliament can do a thing about it.

I am here representing a group that would seek to prevent such destruction. And to insure that all in the Empire is in order, under the Emperor and God. For the betterment of all. Let the areas make their local ordinances about production. But let the Empire be able to do what it needs to do. What the Areas can't or won't do. Let the Emperor be the leader he needs to be. That is our purpose. Are you willing to make it yours?

(( Private - Before the update ))

I already do that, Your Highness. I... Like studying the past to learn from it and I do not wish to make the same mistakes as my ancestors did.

And as you said it, the formation of local governments to handle some situations is not a bad thing, that is why I strongly support it. And if the Phoenixes will try to do something that will, in my opinion, danger the well being of this nation you can rest assured that I will oppose it. And I think it's fairly obvious that the Imperial Law takes the priority. After all Italtian laws are limited to Italy, and since the Imperial laws affect the whole empire they will overrule local rules.

Now excuse me, but right here you showed just how little you know about trade. Castille, while inland, is still a very important trade region. It's centrally located, and we cannot forget about the gold mines in the area. Not only that, but Castillian wine is of good quality, and thus can be sold for a good price.
And I see no reason why any region would deny such thing. If that would happen it would be an act of rebellion, at least in my eyes, and would require appropriate action from the army.

The point you raised is exacly why more power needs to be given to the parliment, while at the same time not taking more power from the Emperor. That body is simply not influential enough, since it simply took over the role that the court had in the past, while in my eyes it should be more than that.

And I have to say that's an... Interesting goal, however the way you said it seems a bit... Odd. I guess that I wish the same thing, however I'm afriad I am on a different path towards it. But maybe, just maybe, our paths towards it can cross.

(( I'll try to get my law out as soon as possible, but I bearly had time to write this. Hopefully no one will have the same idea and snatch it right from my hands the third time :p ))

Much as he tried to stand tall in these times of great success, the proud Prince-Duke, like his family, crumbled into the dust of time. The hours draw in, but still a feeble light is to be found, it is unsure to many what will become of him, and of his family, only time can tell.

-An Excerpt from the Chief of Household Staff of the Prince-Duke's estate diary

Player trials are only on serious crimes anyway, and we have a tradition for jury trials in some form since 1487. It's just that for the other trials, I think it would be a great break with tradition (experts of Spanish law history, step forward :rolleyes:), Hispania isn't England.))

((Yeah, I have no problem with making trials involving only judges. It's just when it comes to players that things differ. It's always a struggle making sure what happens here works with both the game and the iAAR as a whole.))

(( Argh T-T Yet another act I wanted to propose got sweeped right in front of my face.
And so I'm left with 1/3 of what I wanted to proposed... Oh well... ))

(( I'll try to get my law out as soon as possible, but I bearly had time to write this. Hopefully no one will have the same idea and snatch it right from my hands the third time :p ))

((Was it the Naval Reform? Seeing as I basically ripped that off of you and alscon's military reforms and then changed all the terms, it's like you wrote part of it. :D))

Name: Adalberto Giordano
Date of Birth: April 16 1750
Class: Courtier
House: Assembly (Elected)
Faction: Imperial
Religion: Christian
Bio: A banker family from Genoa, the Giordano line earned fame as shrewd investors of merchant ventures in the 16th century, being one of the few to survive incorporation into Hispania. As one of the two major banks centered in the city, with branches as far away as Salerno, Barcelona, and Valencia, the Giordano Bank is one of the largest active in the Western Mediterranean. The family's current head Adalberto has little interest in running it however, only participating occasionally when his other interest, politics, isn't preoccupying him. Being in an elected position in some form since 1770, Adalberto was elected to Parliament from Genoa in 1784 as a member of the Imperials.

Reactions:
La Gaceta Florentina
The Florentine Gazette

La Gaceta Florintina was founded by a member of Los Campos Alexandra von Politz and a number of her associates. It was formed in order to spread the news of much quicker and more efficiently to the common populace of the Empire. Wielding a number of journalists and printing presses in Florence and Valencia, the fledgling company is prepared to spread news, and make a tidy profit one word at a time.

((Basically a newspaper))

La Gaceta Florentina
The Florentine Gazette

La Gaceta Florintina was founded by a member of Los Campos Alexandra von Politz and a number of her associates. It was formed in order to spread the news of much quicker and more efficiently to the common populace of the Empire. Wielding a number of journalists and printing presses in Florence and Valencia, the fledgling company is prepared to spread news, and make a tidy profit one word at a time.

((Basically a newspaper))
((Our literacy rate is probably a low of 50%, and at superhuman best, it is like the Netherlands historically, at 90%. If you take into account our less developed, less educated (most likely) "colonies" out of Europe, then it should be somewhere around 20%. Just in case anyone was wondering like I was. ;) ))

((Spain was only around 40-50% at a push, and that is beyond our period, other western European nations were ranging 75-90% as suggested hira, but some colonial regions were well educated, for example the la plata region education was signifcantly higher than the american average, but still apparent- source: my lecture about 2w ago :p ))

Reactions:
((My research shows that literacy rates in Spain didn't break 50% until the 20th century. Compared to the likes of the Netherlands, UK, Germany, Sweden and other Protestants in the north, the Mediterranean states were uneducated backwater yokels. But Hispania isn't Spain, and as the center of Western Civilization, thing may be different.))

Reactions:
((I expect that literacy would probably hike up noticeably in the coming decades as the effects of the Elementary Education Act are truly felt.

Now for the vote. First off, seeing as only texasjoshua has nominated himself for the position of Chamberlain, he automatically gets the position. The Judicial System Reform Act will override any conflicting clauses with the Justice Act of 1773. Some of the military reforms, particularly those mentioning marines, overlap and will compliment each other if all passed.

Judicial System Reform Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Independence of Jurisdiction Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Ministry of Religious Affairs Representation Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Secularization of the Land Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Parliamentary Quorum Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Appointment Replacement Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Local Elections of Governors Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Embassy Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Protection of Embassies Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Transdacian Establishment Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Special Operation Forces Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Marine Corps Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Specialized Services Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Naval Reform of 1793: Yes/No/Abstain

Mission: Gorontalo/Buhera/Abstain

The vote shall last until Saturday at 12PM PST. Please bold your votes and include your character's name, class, party, and house.

ZehQ510.jpg
))

((Was it the Naval Reform? Seeing as I basically ripped that off of you and alscon's military reforms and then changed all the terms, it's like you wrote part of it. :D))

(( That was exacly that xD Though my full act would include marines, this ( but with a slight twist at the highest ranks ) and something which I wanted to present before the vote, but I guess I have to put it off until the next update. ))

Judicial System Reform Act: Yes
Independence of Jurisdiction Act: Yes
Ministry of Religious Affairs Representation Act: Yes
Secularization of the Land Act: No
Parliamentary Quorum Act: Yes
Appointment Replacement Act: No - ((This is what, the fifth time someone has attempted to remove the appointed Assemblymen?))
Local Elections of Governors Act: No
Embassy Act: Yes
Protection of Embassies Act: Yes
Transdacian Establishment Act: No - The Diplomatic Corps is already overburdened, relations with yet another country is unacceptable, better to continue direct rule or to let it go permanently
Special Operation Forces Act: Yes
Amendment to the Special Operations Forces Act: Yes
Marine Corps Act: Yes
Specialized Services Act: Yes
Naval Reform of 1793: Yes

mission: Gorontalo

Judicial System Reform Act: Yes
Independence of Jurisdiction Act: Yes
Ministry of Religious Affairs Representation Act: Yes
Secularization of the Land Act: No
Parliamentary Quorum Act: Yes
Appointment Replacement Act: No
Local Elections of Governors Act: No
Embassy Act: Yes
Protection of Embassies Act: Yes
Transdacian Establishment Act: Abstain
Special Operation Forces Act: Yes
Amendment to the Special Operations Forces Act: Yes
Marine Corps Act: Yes
Specialized Services Act: Yes
Naval Reform of 1793: Yes

Mission: Gorontalo

~Fernando de Leon [Landed Noble, Cortz]

((Private))

At the latest meeting of the Reconquista, the senior staff agreed that more was needed to maintain and increase the Reconquista's numbers. At the current rate they predicted that the opposition factions would take away their majority within two election cycles. They agreed on a plan to establish local branches of the party to spread their message to as many citizens as possible. They would also reach out to the merchant class and consolidate their popularity among the nobility. The local branches would increase party unity and formalize the party's hierarchy, making it more efficient. Fernando was tasked with carrying out the implementation of the plan in Leon, and he eagerly began recruiting citizens to spread the word of the new Reconquista.

((not sure if you are trying to make me eat my own words, or something else...))
((I was just using your words to reply to your comment, as it was a humorous way of doing it.:) I mean no offense.;) ))