• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Altair Spoleto [Cortez] Independent

((Dang, I meant to be more active before voting, but I'm afraid I've been super busy the last two weeks, so I'll just have to vote))

I of course am very concerned of the discussion calling for such dramatic changes within our governmental system. Parliment is still a new device, and I am worried that if we begin to tinker with our essential institutions too much too quickly it will only lead to disaster for the nation. I caution you all that while I too wish to ensure that all voices of the empire are heard, too much bickering will tear us assunder.

While many of the social programs proposed in the assembly look promising, we should proceed cautiouly and not introduce too many at once. If things being to go wrong we might have difficuly accertaining the source if we make too many changes in such short order.

Altair Spoleto, Count of Cremona.

Planning:
During the session Altair will begin speaking to some of the Austrian nobles in the newly anexed territory, especially those who will be granted seats in the Cortez. He will also begin making connections and working with merchants in the new territories.

Additions to the Elementary Education Act: Yes
Improvement of Quality of Life Act: No
Reversal of War Taxes Act: Yes
Cortz Appointment Act: No
Secularization of Government Act: Yes
The Papal Act: No
Ministry of Religious Affairs Reform Act: No
Recuperation of Losses Act: Yes
Cultural Autonomy Act: Yes
Regional Administration and Autonomy Act: No
The Inter-Parliamentary Relations Act: Yes (Only if amendment passes)

The Inclusion Act: Yes

Mission: Trade

Vote for one, or none, only:
Local Autonomy Amendment to the Imperial Governance Act: No
Second Local Autonomy Amendment to the Imperial Governance Act: No

((Private - Saint-Pierre))

Why do I ask you this? Do you know what is the largest threat to any Empire? Not rebellion. Not other nations. The ultimate threat to the Empire is decentralization.

You know of Fredrick Barbarossa? Holy Roman Emperor. Had a Army so great no Navy could transport it in the Third Crusade. Truly a high time of the false successor of Rome. But then, the Lords of the Empire managed to gain a degree of Independence. And what did they do with it? They fought another and eventually destroyed their Empire. The Germans were nothing, less than nothing until Germany's rise.

We cannot repeat the mistakes of the past. The suggestions of the Phoenix and the Campos are such moves towards decentralization. As the areas of the Empire gain the right to do for themselves, they gain the ability to distance themselves from the others. Sicilians, who do not see reason to support France, refusing to support our allies. Leonese not providing taxes in protest in necessary action against Morocco. Romanian not sending recruits to deal with Austria!

Each area focusing on strictly their own benefit with little reason or willingness to focus on the whole of the Empire. And with the Europeans no longer supporting the Crown, it collapses under its weight from rebellion in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Our trade empire ends in one swift stroke. Hispania will be masters of nothing. Not Africa, not the Americas, not even Iberia!

No, the Empire must be united under the Emperor. It is insanity to simply not allow some form of local government, but it needs a link to the Emperor. Both the Campos and Phoenix plans would do exactly the opposite. They would rather see the Emperor bound to the Areas. Puppet? False lies by a group that willing have named themselves after a violent rebellion. A Local government without a connection to the Imperial Government is a government that will only think of itself and only resent any obligation to the Empire.

I do believe that your current decision in favor of the Phoenix approved amendment of the Imperial Governance Act is a mistake. One that you need to correct.

((Illuminati))

The Phoenix is indeed not able to be reconciled with us. The traitors with the loyalists? What madness is this?

((Private-In the void of time and space, after Altair's vote))
Justinian added another name to his list. It was a long list, longer than he had hoped. Sometimes, the ink flowed, for deep in his thoughts he forgot to dab it. It ran black, covering everything, its stain incorrigible, its mark eternal. Just like blood. And one day, perhaps, blood would flow in the same manner. For this was no ordinary list, but a list of God-haters and Phoenixes. Traitors and Separatists. Pretenders and Republicans. Atheists and Heathens. It was a list of Justinian's enemies.

Reactions:
(( Of course Charles isn't the whole Parta Marina, and Parta Marina isn't just Charles :p
He doesn't know everything the party does, and the party doesn't know everything he does. ))

((If that's the case - how would the party's different seats vote? They might be crucial for some acts.))

"I see those who wish to exterminate any appointed members in the Assembly, but realize this: Who appoints them? None other than His Majesty. These members are representative of the Emperor's will. Declaring them as inferior and unworthy of a voice, is then removing His Majesty's latent control. It is as taking the voice away from a shepherd, forcing him to use him to use his Crook."

"The Clergy have a clear role in society, one that has existed since the beginning. The guidance they provide is a prerequisite for a functional, moral society, as well as a functioning, moral government. The average Hispanian politician has not spent decades studying the Bible and life of Jesus Christ, in which is contained a path towards optimal living and governing. For the same reason no average man can rule a kingdom, for that is divinely given to Royalty, no average man can provide the guidance given by the Christian Church."

Faixòn showed very exaggerated despair as he answered once more, shaking his head in disbelief, a hand covering his eyes.
"You don't want to understand. Fine! Hear whatever you want, you are a lost cause! Clergy - your task is to provide spiritual guidance. You are a living example of a man who cannot provide any other of your so beloved word, for you only think so far as to when you see an obstacle, which is when you turn around and pretend that obstacle doesn't exist. Politicians haven't studied the Bible, but they are not blind to these obstacles and try to seek a solution, be it written in the Bible or not. Concentrate on your spiritual matters, or your advice will suffer in quality on both sides. Beware the day when the clergy's actual task is carried out like your desperate try to hold on to your worldly influence. It seems most of you have mercy, or simply wish not to have to listen to that whining all the time.

The obstacle? I am well aware that the appointed members are installed by His Majesty. Where you are happy of your victory and turn around, I provided a solution: The Assembly is the place of the elected representatives. The Cortz is where men sit who some day have been granted land by the Crown. Now, what is the character of an appointed member of Parliament? Comparable to the Assemblyman, or comparable to the Cortz? If you don't run away from it, the answer is simple and clear. They sit in the wrong house, and I still haven't heard any reasonable justification for this. Only that it has been that way since the beginning. Well, if that's the case...", Faixòn grabbed a book, and swung it like an axe, theatrically turning around to leave, his voice sounding very different, as barbaric as he could. "Excuse me, but I have to raid the neighbouring tribe." The Fénix sitting next to him said some words. "Imperial Assembly? What's an 'empire'? If the chief hears that..." Faixòn sat down again, the message clearly transmitted.

((If that's the case - how would the party's different seats vote? They might be crucial for some acts.))

Faixòn showed very exaggerated despair as he answered once more, shaking his head in disbelief, a hand covering his eyes.
"You don't want to understand. Fine! Hear whatever you want, you are a lost cause! Clergy - your task is to provide spiritual guidance. You are a living example of a man who cannot provide any other of your so beloved word, for you only think so far as to when you see an obstacle, which is when you turn around and pretend that obstacle doesn't exist. Politicians haven't studied the Bible, but they are not blind to these obstacles and try to seek a solution, be it written in the Bible or not. Concentrate on your spiritual matters, or your advice will suffer in quality on both sides. Beware the day when the clergy's actual task is carried out like your desperate try to hold on to your worldly influence. It seems most of you have mercy, or simply wish not to have to listen to that whining all the time.

The obstacle? I am well aware that the appointed members are installed by His Majesty. Where you are happy of your victory and turn around, I provided a solution: The Assembly is the place of the elected representatives. The Cortz is where men sit who some day have been granted land by the Crown. Now, what is the character of an appointed member of Parliament? Comparable to the Assemblyman, or comparable to the Cortz? If you don't run away from it, the answer is simple and clear. They sit in the wrong house, and I still haven't heard any reasonable justification for this. Only that it has been that way since the beginning. Well, if that's the case...", Faixòn grabbed a book, and swung it like an axe, theatrically turning around to leave, his voice sounding very different, as barbaric as he could. "Excuse me, but I have to raid the neighbouring tribe." The Fénix sitting next to him said some words. "Imperial Assembly? What's an 'empire'? If the chief hears that..." Faixòn sat down again, the message clearly transmitted.
"If you can only insult me, it is obvious your "secularization" is wrong. But as to the Assembly; your problem, that of there being no place for appointed Assemblymen, is resultant from your saying the Assembly is the place of elected representatives. But in the Parliament Act of 1755, it specifically states the Assembly is a "semi-elected" body. What is the character of an appointed Assemblyman? He is an Assemblyman, but rather than the subjects of a particular province choosing him, His Majesty chooses him. Like you have rudely mocked, there is no problem, and even assuming the completely false position that an appointed Assemblyman ought not be an Assemblyman, the solution would not be to kick them out. If you would really like, there could be established another house, but the much simpler solution is to recognize that it is not I who am blind, though perhaps the heat of the flames of the Phoenix and Montsegur gives rise to hallucinations in less resilient minds. If you have problems with the Assembly being "semi-elected" perhaps you could endeavor to petition His Majesty the Emperor as to why he fashioned the Parliament in such a manner.

"If you can only insult me, it is obvious your "secularization" is wrong. But as to the Assembly; your problem, that of there being no place for appointed Assemblymen, is resultant from your saying the Assembly is the place of elected representatives. But in the Parliament Act of 1755, it specifically states the Assembly is a "semi-elected" body. What is the character of an appointed Assemblyman? He is an Assemblyman, but rather than the subjects of a particular province choosing him, His Majesty chooses him. Like you have rudely mocked, there is no problem, and even assuming the completely false position that an appointed Assemblyman ought not be an Assemblyman, the solution would not be to kick them out. If you would really like, there could be established another house, but the much simpler solution is to recognize that it is not I who am blind, though perhaps the heat of the flames of the Phoenix and Montsegur gives rise to hallucinations in less resilient minds. If you have problems with the Assembly being "semi-elected" perhaps you could endeavor to petition His Majesty the Emperor as to why he fashioned the Parliament in such a manner.

"Setting aside such inaccurate claims, in actuality, His Majesty, many years ago, placed before this Chamber a proposal in which he planned to completely remove the institution of appointed Assemblymen. It was largely through the Empress Dowager's efforts and backroom dealings that it was defeated - not for a lack of trying on the part of His Majesty and his true supporters. Certainly, if one's justification against granting citizens a voice in government rests only in the belief that His Majesty did not wholly support it... *De Salcedo grins* ...then, having now been imparted with such knowledge, one should now be swayed in favor of His Majesty's own preference, nay?"

"Setting aside such inaccurate claims, in actuality, His Majesty, many years ago, placed before this Chamber a proposal in which he planned to completely remove the institution of appointed Assemblymen. It was largely through the Empress Dowager's efforts and backroom dealings that it was defeated - not for a lack of trying on the part of His Majesty and his true supporters. Certainly, if one's justification against granting citizens a voice in government rests only in the belief that His Majesty did not wholly support it... *De Salcedo grins* ...then, having now been imparted with such knowledge, one should now be swayed in favor of His Majesty's own preference, nay?"
Justinian looked surprised, but after a second's consideration, said. "If what you say is true, then certainly, whatever His Majesty wishes. If he chooses to allow this decision to fall upon our shoulders, however, I would still support the latent tool for an Emperor to exert his influence, but I will follow His Majesty's choice. Thank you, Senor Salcedo."

Justinian focused his gaze on Faixon, sardonically smiling. "See how much can be accomplished without having to result to insults, threats, mockery, and theatrics."

((Private))
Justinian's fist slammed onto the table with such great intensity as to shake the inkwell. After trying so hard to appease the foreigners, Liu had still voted against God. Another name on the list, he supposed. But what would he do with them? How could he deal with so many? Velazquez had done right in founding the Illuminati. But at that time, all the real power was in their hands. No one thought His Majesty would have wrested it away, and eventually redistributed it to a Phoenix. The Illuminati needed to gain power independently of one Emperor's reign. In order to protect the authority of the Crown, they had to obsolete it. Only the truly enlightened could rule.

((1:This changes everything, but I'm too lazy to rewrite my IC. :p 2: You know you can edit your original posts, right? ;) ))
((1. What a coincidence, so am I. :p 2. I know I can edit the original posts, if I am willing to accept the penalty of not having my vote count. ))

"In order to clear up any sort of confusion within my own act. The new Counts shall be elected through a lottery of the local Barons within a province to see whom will be promoted to the count of said province."

JpsioAG.png

Perhaps this should have been clarified before the vote, seeing as such an outcome would require me to raffle off my own titles to dozens of unknown barons living in our colonies in Africa. It is fortunate such nobles would have no influence over the colonial administration other than through the Cortz otherwise this would severely weaken the Crown's ability to govern there.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

((In an unrelated note, I've notices some oddities with the results of the votes so far. It would seem that splitting seats amongst various players has led to some rounding errors. Some seats end up with decimals, which obviously isn't possible in Parliament, so I have everything displayed as whole numbers. Sometimes the rounding puts the results off by one or two seats. The most glaring example I've noticed at the moment is with the Los Campos votes in the Cortz. They have 11 seats, which is fine when the two players vote together. When they do not, they split the seats evenly based on their VP, which gives them 5.5 each. Of course we can't have half a seat, so Excel rounds them both up and Los Campos magically gains an extra seat. I've noticed a similar issues with elections, but I manually change those. Here it is only really a problem when a vote is very close. So in the future if you notice that the results of any vote happen to not add up to the total seats in either house, it's just a rounding error. However, if a vote ever is so close that the seat affected by the rounding will decide it, I will make a judgment call to decide which party, or independent, is receiving or losing a seat based on rounding. I'm actually bringing this up right now because I noticed one vote that can be decided by a single vote and its affected by the rounding error. Should be good drama for later. :D))

JpsioAG.png

Perhaps this should have been clarified before the vote, seeing as such an outcome would require me to raffle off my own titles to dozens of unknown barons living in our colonies in Africa. It is fortunate such nobles would have no influence over the colonial administration other than through the Cortz otherwise this would severely weaken the Crown's ability to govern there.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

((In an unrelated note, I've notices some oddities with the results of the votes so far. It would seem that splitting seats amongst various players has led to some rounding errors. Some seats end up with decimals, which obviously isn't possible in Parliament, so I have everything displayed as whole numbers. Sometimes the rounding puts the results off by one or two seats. The most glaring example I've noticed at the moment is with the Los Campos votes in the Cortz. They have 11 seats, which is fine when the two players vote together. When they do not, they split the seats evenly based on their VP, which gives them 5.5 each. Of course we can't have half a seat, so Excel rounds them both up and Los Campos magically gains an extra seat. I've noticed a similar issues with elections, but I manually change those. Here it is only really a problem when a vote is very close. So in the future if you notice that the results of any vote happen to not add up to the total seats in either house, it's just a rounding error. However, if a vote ever is so close that the seat affected by the rounding will decide it, I will make a judgment call to decide which party, or independent, is receiving or losing a seat based on rounding. I'm actually bringing this up right now because I noticed one vote that can be decided by a single vote and its affected by the rounding error. Should be good drama for later. :D))

((Clearly, the moral of the story is that we should get an extra seat in the Cortz and fix the rounding problem. ;)))

((Private - Saint-Pierre))

Why do I ask you this? Do you know what is the largest threat to any Empire? Not rebellion. Not other nations. The ultimate threat to the Empire is decentralization.

You know of Fredrick Barbarossa? Holy Roman Emperor. Had a Army so great no Navy could transport it in the Third Crusade. Truly a high time of the false successor of Rome. But then, the Lords of the Empire managed to gain a degree of Independence. And what did they do with it? They fought another and eventually destroyed their Empire. The Germans were nothing, less than nothing until Germany's rise.

We cannot repeat the mistakes of the past. The suggestions of the Phoenix and the Campos are such moves towards decentralization. As the areas of the Empire gain the right to do for themselves, they gain the ability to distance themselves from the others. Sicilians, who do not see reason to support France, refusing to support our allies. Leonese not providing taxes in protest in necessary action against Morocco. Romanian not sending recruits to deal with Austria!

Each area focusing on strictly their own benefit with little reason or willingness to focus on the whole of the Empire. And with the Europeans no longer supporting the Crown, it collapses under its weight from rebellion in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Our trade empire ends in one swift stroke. Hispania will be masters of nothing. Not Africa, not the Americas, not even Iberia!

No, the Empire must be united under the Emperor. It is insanity to simply not allow some form of local government, but it needs a link to the Emperor. Both the Campos and Phoenix plans would do exactly the opposite. They would rather see the Emperor bound to the Areas. Puppet? False lies by a group that willing have named themselves after a violent rebellion. A Local government without a connection to the Imperial Government is a government that will only think of itself and only resent any obligation to the Empire.

I do believe that your current decision in favor of the Phoenix approved amendment of the Imperial Governance Act is a mistake. One that you need to correct.

(( Private ))

Maybe what you say is true, maybe decentralization is the cause of the downfall of many great nations.

And of course I have heard the stories of that particular Emperor. It's actually quite funny you mention him, as it reminds me of a legend I remember hearing. I believe it was something about him returning when the time is right, in order to return Germany to its former glory.

And the reason I found it amusing is that fact that Germans are making impressive claims across the continent, gaining more and more power... Maybe the legend is true, and Germany shall rise above all?

I, of course, agree that we cannot repeat the mistakes of the past, that's why we have to study history, so we can learn the lessons hidden in the past.
And while I can see why you would be worried about the proposition made by the members of Facció del Fénix and those aligned with Facción De Los Campos, I don't see how their proposals would do too much damage. While some are... Concerning, others are just preserving the, now nearly ancient, rights of people living outside of Iberia. We always gave them some level of autonomy, and we respected their culture, I don't see why we should cease to do it now.
Forgive me for saying this, but I think that you are overreacting a bit, Your Highness.

And each are focusing on their own wellbeing is not bad for trade, as you try to make it seem. Each region should focus on doing what they're best at, so the markets are full of goods from various parts of our Empire, so the trade can continue, and the funds keep flowing in. There is no power that can quickly end the Hispanian trade empire, please believe me when I say that.

Of course I agree that the Emperor should be on top of it all, making decisions for the whole empire and each region separately, however there is only so much work that a single man can do, and let us not forget that no matter what the Emperor is still just a human, not some heavenly being capable of doing anything. There is only one being capable of that, and that is of course our God Almighty.

And, again, forgive me for saying that, but I believe that this particular proposition of Phoenixes will only benefit the Empire. And I have made up my mind. With all due respect, but I will not have my hand forced by anybody, not even a person of such high status as you. Only God could force me to change my decision.

(( I meant it more in a way that sending letters to the party isn't the same as talking to my character, I guess I should've specified that, my bad. But there's also wzhang, who, I believe, also is a memeber of Parta Marina, so he's controlling a fraction of the party :p ))

((Just another reminder that the numbers may not add up exactly for all votes. I don't think it's worth going through each one to figure out where a missing or extra vote is coming from. I'll only do it for those votes where it matters.

Additions to the Elementary Education Act:
Assembly: 141 Yes/50 No/109 Abstain
Cortz: 79 Yes/8 No/9 Abstain​
Amendment to the Additions to the Elementary Education Act:
Assembly: 300 Yes/0 No/0 Abstain
Cortz: 91 Yes/5 No/0 Abstain​
Elementary Education Act of 1788:
Assembly: 217 Yes/0 No/83 Abstain
Cortz: 67 Yes/0 No/29 Abstain​
Improvement of Quality of Life Act:
Assembly: 275 Yes/0 No/25 Abstain
Cortz: 88 Yes/8 No/0 Abstain​
Amendment to the Improvement of Quality of Life Act:
Reversal of War Taxes Act:
Assembly: 157 Yes/83 No/60 Abstain
Cortz: 59 Yes/29 No/8 Abstain​
Purification of the Assembly Act:
Assembly: 116 Yes/184 No/0 Abstain
Cortz: 35 Yes/55 No/5 Abstain​
Cortz Appointment Act:
Assembly: 0 Yes/166 No/134 Abstain
Cortz: 0 Yes/87 No/9 Abstain​
Secularization of Government Act:
Assembly: 123 Yes/149 No/28 Abstain
Cortz: 18 Yes/56 No/22 Abstain​
The Papal Act:
Assembly: 275 Yes/0 No/25 Abstain
Ministry of Religious Affairs Reform Act:
Assembly: 116 Yes/148 No/36 Abstain
Cortz: 27 Yes/57 No/12 Abstain​
Recuperation of Losses Act:
Assembly: 289 Yes/0 No/11 Abstain
Cortz: 92 Yes/0 No/4 Abstain​
Cultural Autonomy Act:
Assembly: 0 Yes/275 No/25 Abstain
Cortz: 13 Yes/83 No/0 Abstain​
Regional Administration and Autonomy Act:
Assembly: 148 Yes/141 No/11 Abstain
Cortz: 21 Yes/71 No/4 Abstain​
The Inter-Parliamentary Relations Act:
Cortz: 83 Yes/13 No/0 Abstain​
Amendments to the Inter-Parliamentary Relations Act:
Assembly: 115 Yes/158 No/28 Abstain
Cortz: 44 Yes/30 No/22 Abstain​
The Inclusion Act:
Assembly: 41 Yes/168 No/91 Abstain
Cortz: 32 Yes/37 No/27 Abstain​

Vote for one, or none, only:
Local Autonomy Amendment to the Imperial Governance Act:
Assembly: 119 Yes/140 No/41 Abstain
Cortz: 33 Yes/45 No/18 Abstain​
Second Local Autonomy Amendment to the Imperial Governance Act:
Assembly: 140 Yes/119 No/41 Abstain
Cortz: 39 Yes/38 No/19 Abstain​

Mission: Gorontalo

If anyone is wondering it was that last amendment with the rounding error. The final tally was 39.4, 38.4, and 18.2. It seemed biased to round up either the yes or no votes, since both have equal decimal points. Plus, rounding up the no vote would have tied it, which seems unfair seeing as the yes vote is technically higher. I opted to add the extra vote to the abstain one, which would not alter the result that we would have had if decimals were accounted for. Seeing as it was the independents that caused the problem, blame the last abstain vote on the Crown Prince. I'm sure the law confused him anyway. :p

Just a reminder that although all the education laws passed, the Elementary Education Act of 1788 takes precedence and will override any conflicting clauses in the Addition to the Elementary Act, seeing as it is a new law and not an amendment to an old one.

I'll get to the update later. I expect it will take some time to update the new laws and adjust the rules.))

(( Private ))

Maybe what you say is true, maybe decentralization is the cause of the downfall of many great nations.

And of course I have heard the stories of that particular Emperor. It's actually quite funny you mention him, as it reminds me of a legend I remember hearing. I believe it was something about him returning when the time is right, in order to return Germany to its former glory.

And the reason I found it amusing is that fact that Germans are making impressive claims across the continent, gaining more and more power... Maybe the legend is true, and Germany shall rise above all?

I, of course, agree that we cannot repeat the mistakes of the past, that's why we have to study history, so we can learn the lessons hidden in the past.
And while I can see why you would be worried about the proposition made by the members of Facció del Fénix and those aligned with Facción De Los Campos, I don't see how their proposals would do too much damage. While some are... Concerning, others are just preserving the, now nearly ancient, rights of people living outside of Iberia. We always gave them some level of autonomy, and we respected their culture, I don't see why we should cease to do it now.
Forgive me for saying this, but I think that you are overreacting a bit, Your Highness.

And each are focusing on their own wellbeing is not bad for trade, as you try to make it seem. Each region should focus on doing what they're best at, so the markets are full of goods from various parts of our Empire, so the trade can continue, and the funds keep flowing in. There is no power that can quickly end the Hispanian trade empire, please believe me when I say that.

Of course I agree that the Emperor should be on top of it all, making decisions for the whole empire and each region separately, however there is only so much work that a single man can do, and let us not forget that no matter what the Emperor is still just a human, not some heavenly being capable of doing anything. There is only one being capable of that, and that is of course our God Almighty.

And, again, forgive me for saying that, but I believe that this particular proposition of Phoenixes will only benefit the Empire. And I have made up my mind. With all due respect, but I will not have my hand forced by anybody, not even a person of such high status as you. Only God could force me to change my decision.

(( I meant it more in a way that sending letters to the party isn't the same as talking to my character, I guess I should've specified that, my bad. But there's also wzhang, who, I believe, also is a memeber of Parta Marina, so he's controlling a fraction of the party :p ))

((Private))

When you reach my age, you tend to see past individual actions and look at the intention and trend set by those actions.

Is the formation of local governments evil and self destructive? Not necessarily. Do I believe the Phoenix will simply be content with their success and not attempt to introduce legislation to further increase the power of these local governments? Most certainly not. We have not seen the last of this issue, and soon I fear we will be debating whether the local laws should take precedence over Imperial law, or even the right to deny Imperial recruitment to the Army and Navy and taxation! Unthinkable now, but a trend has been started. Perhaps in your old age...

And not all focus on their well-being is good, mind you. Imagine, if they could, an Area were to decide that they will not support a war in defense in our trade interests. Like Castile. They are no great trade area so inland with no port. Imagine if Castile were to deny us recruitment and taxation for a war because they see no benefit for themselves. They are thinking of their own well-being, but that is not good.

The Emperor may be human, yes. But he is not the only human. The humans in the local government may short-sightedly trade long term health for short term gain. They may make a self-destructive decision. They may even make a decision that will destroy more than just themselves. And right now, neither the Emperor nor Parliament can do a thing about it.

I am here representing a group that would seek to prevent such destruction. And to insure that all in the Empire is in order, under the Emperor and God. For the betterment of all. Let the areas make their local ordinances about production. But let the Empire be able to do what it needs to do. What the Areas can't or won't do. Let the Emperor be the leader he needs to be. That is our purpose. Are you willing to make it yours?