• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Election of 1788

If the Election of 1784 served as an opportunity for all the parties to grow, the Election of 1788 proved the exact opposite. Incredibly vocal about the Elementary Education Act and its attack on their culture and language, as well as the recent war against Austria, the Italian voters proved the deciding factor in the outcome of the election. Support for the Parta Marina tanked, for they were credited with the creation of the act in question and even held the position of Minister of Education. While Marina held onto seats in key trading cities such as Florence and Genoa, the Italians had all but abandoned the Parta Marina. Los Campos saw a similar dip, albeit on a smaller scale, for the Northern Italians in particular were heavily in support of the war against Austria that Los Campos opposed. The Phoenix stagnated for the first time since their creation. The voter base in Italy was quite mixed. Some saw them as a potential alternative for representing their concerns in Valencia, but others did not view their disapproval of the Austrian war too well. Even the Imperials saw a drop in the Assembly, for the Italians were growing tired of the current government. It was the Reconquista that saw the greatest gain of all the parties. Credited with the proposal of an amendment that would have allowed the use of local languages in school and with their leader in charge of the war effort against Austria, Italians flocked to the Reconquista in greater numbers. Although the Reconquista grew, it was the independents that grew the most in numbers. A lack of trust in the current parties was growing and many felt the need to rely on local representatives without party ties. The Cortz saw very little in the way of change. The trends were similar to that of the Assembly, with the one difference being an increase for the Imperials as the nobles became more concerned with certain radical elements arising in Hispania. It was now a question of who could win back the Italians by the next election.

Assembly

Independent (Appointed) - 74 (0)
Independent - 70 (+21)
Imperial - 33 (-5)
Reconquista - 33 (+10)
Marina - 22 (-18)
Los Campos - 37 (-7)
Phoenix - 31 (0)

Cortz

Independent (Crown) - 10 (0)
Independent - 16 (+3)
Imperial - 24 (+2)
Reconquista - 26 (+3)
Marina - 8 (-2)
Los Campos - 11 (-1)
Phoenix - 1 (0)​

Last edited:
Alejandro de Leon stood up in Parliament.

"Honored representatives," he said, "You were all chosen by the Hispanian people to represent them and their interests. We were all equally chosen in the beliefs by the people that we would listen to their concerns and pass legislation to improve their quality of life. The Elementary Education Act was one such legislation. Yet it now appears that this law is not sufficiently appropriate for all Hispanians. Many of our citizens have complained about the quality of the new schools and claim that they are a front for 'assimilation.' As a result, many prospective non-Hispanian citizens have refused to pay taxes that would fund these schools. Therefore, as a member of the Parliament first and foremost, I suggest the following additions to the Elementary Education Act designed to assuage their fears. I implore you all to consider my proposal and debate its merits and drawbacks and save your personal attacks on MPs that don't share your views for another time.

"I sincerely hope that these additions improve the welfare of the common people and alleviate their concerns over assimilation. As noted by many other honorable members of Parliament, Hispania has a long tradition of cultural tolerance, and we should respect that. Clause (1) is appropriate because it will allow citizens to retain their cultural and linguistic identity while also fostering national unity throughout the Empire in teaching them Hispanian. Clause (2) is appropriate because it will allow citizens to discuss their concerns about local educational policy with each other and work on ways to resolve them, as they are most familiar with their own concerns; in addition, it would grant the citizens more oversight over their own affairs. Clause (3) is appropriate because it will allow rural families to send their children to school without incurring heavy financial burdens, give local citizens the power to decide their own education policy, and prevent free-riders from taking advantage of the system.

"Moving on, the issue of increased urbanization has recently caught the attention of the Parliament. Hispanian citizens should not be living in such squalor and filth, especially if they had given up their previous way of life and moved to the city in search of new beginnings. It is our moral imperative to help out these citizens, and I therefore propose the following bill to improve quality of life for not only the newest inhabitants of our cities, but also for all Hispanian citizens:

"I strongly believe that this proposal will improve the quality of life for all Hispanian citizens, especially those who had just moved to urban areas. Clause (1) is appropriate, because it would provide for a way for all citizens to obtain affordable and effective health care. Clause (2) is appropriate, because it would grant more power over the citizens to control their own quality of life as well as providing satisfactory sanitation levels for all neighborhoods. Clause (3) is appropriate, because it would attempt remedy the negative issues caused by overpopulation without violating a citizen's consent. Clause (4) is appropriate, as it would set a baseline for sanitary and safety conditions that would improve the quality of life not only for the inhabitants of the cities but also for all Hispanians while also giving the citizens the ability to decide how much regulation they want.

"As a fellow member of the Parliament, I urge all of you to consider the merits and drawbacks of both of these proposals and discuss with each other what should be done with each proposal. It is what the Parliament was made to do. If we can overcome our differences and work together, regardless of how we personally think of each other, we can achieve great things. We can make Hispania even greater together.

"I yield the floor. Thank you for your time."

I agree that the Education reforms will do the Empire good. Most of the children of Italy will be working in their family's tradeshop or farms long before the Hispanian language will be introduced. ((Typical American education at this time was like the third grade (age 8))) The ones that remain will be more inclined to the civil service, which will necessitate a single language for the obvious reasons. As for the issue of the schools, I feel it is better for the school to be brought to the child than the other way around. The parents will be better able to ensure we aren't doing anything they disapprove of and thus more willing to support these measures. Better to have a schoolhouse in every village with a teacher paid jointly by local and Imperial taxes.

As for the quality of life reforms, all are acceptable in theory except one. There simply are not enough university educated doctors to go around. It will prove too expensive to attempt to educate the number needed. As for the rest, overpopulation, sanitation, safety. These are ultimately to the people's benefit, but care will need to be taken to ensure that effective measures, both in cost and result, are made to ensure it is worth the effort.

Facción de La Edredón

Founded in 1789 by Archbishop Justinian Lagos, the Quilt Party stood for the protection of Hispania's minorities from assimilation. The quilt represented how Hispania was a patchwork of cultures, each contributing to its luster, far more beautiful than a uniform shade. It looked to gain the support of the Italians, Chinese, African, and Indian Hispanians, and its first concrete demand was the creation of advanced defenses in Canton.
Create high-level forts as needed to provide protection to the inhabitants of the region, to prevent further sacks and razing due to inadequate defense preparations against enemies in the region.

Last edited:
Facción de La Edredón

Founded in 1789 by Archbishop Justinian Lagos, the Quilt Party stood for the protection of Hispania's minorities from assimilation. The quilt represented how Hispania was a patchwork of cultures, each contributing to its luster, far more beautiful than a uniform shade. It looked to gain the support of the Italians, Chinese, African, and Indian Hispanians, and its first concrete demand was the creation of advanced defenses in Canton.
Create high-level forts as needed to provide protection to the inhabitants of the region, to prevent further sacks and razing due to inadequate defense preparations against enemies in the region.

((Question: Is the Quilt Party using time travel to deliver this demand a year before its creation or is the party actually created in 1788? :D Also, it'd be good to know what a "high-level fort" constitutes OOC. A level 6 or 8 fort? I assume more than the current level 4 fort in Canton.))

Faixòn had presented a fairly long list as he rose to speak in the Parliament session.

"First off, I need to address what is either some serious financial mismanagement or simply opportunistic abuse of the masses. The fact that war taxes have been levied not long after the war had begun - and work simultaneously begun on the manufactories! Either this means that our Minister of Finance is simply unable to set the priorities for the treasury correctly, or he was simply taking the war as a pretext to plunder the people. Neither will do! I urge His Majesty to either give a stern warning to the minister, or to replace him outright.

As for the damage caused, it will have to be repaired. Both now as for the future. Which is why I propose the following act:
Reversal of War Taxes Act
After a war ends in which war taxes have been levied, the tax shall be reduced by the same amount and time it has been raised.
This act should reduce the willingness to levy war taxes 'simply because we can' and only leave them as what they should be, a measure to be taken only if the additional funds are truly necessary.

Secondly, I wish to again address the falsification of the people's will in the Assembly. Appointed members are not representatives of the people's will. There is a house for men who aren't elected by the people, and it is not the Assembly. Certainly they are unwilling to have appointed members amongst their midst as well, but that remains to be seen. In any case, if the Crown so desperately needs its influence, then there is a simple solution - move these men into the ministries. Specialized advice for the single ministers, their voices heard in the affairs put to vote, and no stain on the Assembly. Hence I present the following:
Purification of the Assembly Act
No members of the Assembly are to be appointed.
Of course, this act only concerns the Assembly, so it should be the only house to vote for it - and the appointed members should be excluded from that vote, as they would hardly vote with the house's interests in mind, but their own.

Cortz Appointment Act
The Cortz receives an additional number of seats equivalent to a third of its total, to be filled with members appointed by the Crown.
Naturally, only the Cortz shall vote on this act. The outcome is not connected to the Purification Act; if the first passes and this one doesn't, then the appointed members shall simply move to the ministries.

Then there is another question that has been left unanswered too long. What about the clerical influence on the government? In our tolerant society? There has been the Council of Churches, but the late pope Xystus II is the perfect example on how spiritual leadership and worldly concerns interfere with each other. The head of the Catholic Church won't treat any other Christian like he does his faithful! And the same is true for the lower hierarchic positions! Just as it would be for Protestant or any other representatives. The rivalries between the beliefs can lead to misdirected judgement. Not only the rivalries, also the faith's doctrines do. And it leads to hypocrisy of the greatest scale, just think of Xystus' stance towards war! No, in our tolerant society, the church can no longer play a role in the government, must concentrate solely on their spiritual task.
Secularization of Government Act
Any member of the clergy is excluded from both houses and ministerial offices, save for the ministry of religious affairs.

Said ministry is also in need of reform, as the principle of the empire dictates:
Ministry of Religious Affairs Reform Act
The ministry of religious affairs shall be constituted by one representative of each Christian belief in the empire with a significant presence, appointed by the Prime Minister. These representatives shall elect the minister amongst themselves.

As Minister of the Interior, my plan is to continue the investment in manufactories, increasing the overall wealth across Hispania. And we must appease the Italians, not just for being the front line of the latest war, but for the reception of the Elementary Education Act and the integration of the formerly Austrian territories, and grant the provinces North of Rome more autonomy.

Finally, let me respond to the proposals of Minister Leon, of course constructive as he wishes it. But I still have no choice but to notice that in his old age he becomes both more and less reasonable. Perhaps he just forgot something, perhaps he didn't think of it. It might be time to slowly retire from politics. Either way, the Parliament is here to repair the faults of these acts, which is what he wants too, after all.
More reasonable? Yes, the additions to the Elementary Education Act are no longer an attempt of indoctrination. Though I would propose to make another amendment, that truly preserves their identity the minorities fear for. Instead of slowly 'Hispanianizing' the curriculum, the native language should stay. If everyone in the empire speaks Hispanian, our goal is achieved, no matter if the further education has been conducted mostly in Hispanian, Italian or whatever other language. As for the less reasonable part: One man is also a minority, but providing a teacher who knows this language may be impossible. Minorities with the wish to preserve their identities will need to do that in their own homes, for it would overwhelm the administration. Hispanian minorities can be exempt of that, as each school is required to teach Hispanian.
Amendment to the Additions to the Elementary Education Act
In regions with Hispanian minorities, these can request to have their children taught solely in Hispanian. The majorities are to be taught in their local languages, with the addition of Hispanian, in the aim of providing a fluid knowledge of the language, that each citizen of Hispania can communicate with another.

The Improvement of Quality of Life Act is another well-meant one. But it leads me to suspect a different goal than the one of the act: To show that the Reconquista faction is the only party caring for the people, as every person wasting the smallest thought to this act sees that it is pure madness in its current form. Each town and village with an hospital! In my home region, we have villages with less than ten inhabitants. One hospital for each of you! We'd have regions with more hospitals than churches! While the basic idea is laudable, we are better off creating districts in which we place one hospital in acceptable reach of every citizen. For bankruptcy will certainly not provide better healthcare for the people.
Amendment to the Improvement of Quality of Life Act
Hospital districts shall be created, to have one hospital in acceptable reach of every citizen. Both the size of the districts and hospitals vary depending on the geography and population density.

I leave these acts to discussion. We will see the true face of the Assemblymen once again."

Last edited:
Facción de La Edredón

Archbishop, It appears your party has a similar ideological platform to my own. I trust that you are in full support of my proposed laws? I am concerned that two parties with similar platforms may take away votes from each other or be denounced by the Phoenixes and Camponistas as being in league with each other.

To the rest of us, I feel that some of the recent bills pushed by Faixon are actually sensible, namely the war taxes one and the amendments to my own proposals. I will likely support them in the interest of gaining the favor of both the Phoenixes and the Camponistas so that the Reconquista gets a better position in Parliament and among the electorate. I will leave the religion-related bills to be considered by our clerical members.

Martí de Alvaro rose to speak.

Emiliano Faixòn raises a valid point regarding war taxes. So to not keep it from happening, I will include it in my plan as minister of finance.

Minister of Finances plan:

Keep inflation under 2%.
During times of peace, keep army and fleet maintanance at 50%.
When at war, IF NEEDED, raise war taxes, otherwise, do not. When the war is concluded reduce the taxes by the same amount and time it has been raised.

((Illuminati))

His social reforms and tax reform may make sense. But his government reforms are insane. They cannot be supported. The Church is perhaps the single largest body in Hispania and my son it's head. Demanding it be denied a place in our government, well it would make more sense to remove other less important components of the Empire as well, like the Assembly.

Perhaps that is what he intends to do. Remove the Church. "Purify" the Assembly. Then remove the Cortz and finally the Crown itself from government. So the Assembly and the Assembly alone has power over the Empire.

((Public))

Your Cortz law is a grave mistake Faixon.

The Empire has 95 counties! And with it 95 counts and 95 seats in the Cortz.

Your law will reduce the number of seats to 75 for these 95 counts. So tell me, which counties do not deserve a seat in the Cortz? I demand you name 20 as you demand 20 be left without.

(( Damn timezones and school, I didn't get to post my amendments to the Education Act before anyone else xD ))

"It’s sad to know how the Elementary Education Act has been abused, abused by our oversight. Its purpose never was to assimilate minorities, however because we have not thought it would be used that way it has been because of our mistake. We had good intentions, however we failed to see the flaws and now we have paid the price.

I must say that both Monsieur Leon and Monsieur Faixòn have the right ideas on how to correct our mistakes, however as soon as we hear voices of resistance we began to work on our own ways to build upon this, generally good, idea which was just poorly executed and clearly unfit to be introduced in it's form.

Elementary Education Act of 1788
I. Concerning the Curriculum
1. Students shall be taught in the local language. This applies to the mandatory classes*, as well as all those decided upon the school boards.
A. Hispanian minorities in areas populated by majorities of different culture shall be educated in Hispanian, however, they may choose to learn the local language.
B. The students, if they think their local traditions and culture are not being respected, boycott attending school, thus forcing the current school board of the region to be disbanded and new one formed.
* This does not apply to classes of the Hispanian language, or classes of a different language in a Hispanian-dominant areas.​
2. Students outside of Iberia are required to attend Hispanian classes in order to learn the language in order to learn how to use it fluently.
3. If the School boards decided upon teaching the students religion, it shall be noted that the teaching must follow the teachings of the CJC and should respect the student’s individual beliefs.​
II. Concerning the matter of boarding
1. Cost of accommodation in the school building shall be equal to the average cost of a loaf of bread in the region per one week of accommodation. (( 1 week spent in school = 1 loaf of bread ))
A. If the school building does not have a proper facility in which the students will be allowed to board, such facility shall be constructed with the use of government funds.​
2. Families accepting boarding students should not demand a price exceeding the price of two loafs of bread per week.
A. The families, if they so wish, may allow the student to work in the household in order to pay for the cost of living with them.​
III. Concerning the School Boards
1. School Boards, before choosing a curriculum for their school, are required to send a rough draft of the planned educational program in order to be evaluated by the Ministry of Education. If the Ministry will consider it inappropriate, for example violating the local culture, it shall be discarded and the Board will be required to begin anew.
2. The School Boards shall consist of locally elected officials, with two Ministry appointed members who will be responsible for keeping a watchful eye and who will be required to send regular reports to the Ministry.​
I also wish to commend both gentlemen for thinking of such an amazing concept as the Improvement of Quality of Life Act and the amendments to it. It will be another big step forward to improving the life of a common Hispanian man.

I would wish to propose an act of my own, something I’ve been working on for some time, after I heard of the Canton incident. I think that all of you will agree that what happened to the region during the war with Malwa mustn’t happen ever again. That is why I’d wish to propose the Recuperation Of Losses Act:

Recuperation Of Losses Act

I. If a region of Hispania shall be sacked during a war, government shall use the available funds in order to help the people rebuild their homes, as well as providing the populace with wheat and fresh water until the people of the region will be able to sustain themselves.
II. If a region of Hispania shall suffer from a natural disaster the Crown will cover some of the costs of reparation, as well as provide the people with food and water until they will be able to afford it on their own.
III. If a region shall be devasted by a plague the Crown will cover some of the costs of reparation, as well as provide the people with food and water until they will be able to afford it on their own.​

"First off, I need to address what is either some serious financial mismanagement or simply opportunistic abuse of the masses. The fact that war taxes have been levied not long after the war had begun - and work simultaneously begun on the manufactories! Either this means that our Minister of Finance is simply unable to set the priorities for the treasury correctly, or he was simply taking the war as a pretext to plunder the people. Neither will do! I urge His Majesty to either give a stern warning to the minister, or to replace him outright.

As for the damage caused, it will have to be repaired. Both now as for the future. Which is why I propose the following act:
This act should reduce the willingness to levy war taxes 'simply because we can' and only leave them as what they should be, a measure to be taken only if the additional funds are truly necessary.

A clerk from the treasury presents a report to Parliament documenting that a deficit was experienced temporarily at the time war taxes were enacted. It details the unexpected costs caused by the capturing of the Scottish colony in La Plata, the forced withdrawal of the Venice trade fleet to port, and the lengthy sieges of Austria's Northern Italian forts.

Your Cortz law is a grave mistake Faixon.

The Empire has 95 counties! And with it 95 counts and 95 seats in the Cortz.

Your law will reduce the number of seats to 75 for these 95 counts. So tell me, which counties do not deserve a seat in the Cortz? I demand you name 20 as you demand 20 be left without.

And how many of these counts fulfil the conditions of becoming a member of the Cortz? Certainly not all. And the Crown can choose to appoint the remaining counts if that is what it wishes. But matters of the nobility are not my specialty, and as I made clear, the law is only for the Cortz to vote on, so the Cortz can modify the details as much as they believe necessary. It should be the choice of the Cortz if they wish one seat per county or some other sort of distribution. Just as it should be the matter of the Assembly to determine its own composition, for members of the other house do not know what is best for it.

A clerk from the treasury presents a report to Parliament documenting that a deficit was experienced temporarily at the time war taxes were enacted. It details the unexpected costs caused by the capturing of the Scottish colony in La Plata, the forced withdrawal of the Venice trade fleet to port, and the lengthy sieges of Austria's Northern Italian forts.

A merely temporary deficit - simply the pretext needed, and far from being a sufficient reason. But there is no need to dwell on that further other than to chastise the clerks of the treasury, for the Minister of Finance has reacted to this.

And how many of these counts fulfil the conditions of becoming a member of the Cortz? Certainly not all. And the Crown can choose to appoint the remaining counts if that is what it wishes. But matters of the nobility are not my specialty, and as I made clear, the law is only for the Cortz to vote on, so the Cortz can modify the details as much as they believe necessary. It should be the choice of the Cortz if they wish one seat per county or some other sort of distribution. Just as it should be the matter of the Assembly to determine its own composition, for members of the other house do not know what is best for it.

By the Cortz Reform Act in 1773, every county in Europe, be it Iberia, Italy, Romania. or Greece has a right to a seat in the Cortz. In total, there are 95 counties when including the counties held by the Crown, and secondary counties held by Dukes and Grand Dukes, which the Act clearly includes. There is no County without a Count on the Cortz, Faixon. All qualify and have taken their spots on it.

One only needs to look at the fact that five seats were added to the Cortz to represent the five counties added to the Empire in the Franco-Austrian War to see this to be clear. So once again, I demand an answer to the question. Here stands 95 seats representing 95 counties. You are demanding that twenty lose their seats. Who stays and who goes?

((Question: Is theQuilt Party using time travel to deliver this demand a year before its creation or is the party actually created in 1788? :D Also, it'd be good to know what a "high-level fort" constitutes OOC. A level 6 or 8 fort? I assume more than the current level 4 fort in Canton.))
((Its from 1788. And a level 8 fort, I just wasn't sure what level we were at for maximum protection. Your choice which province. ;) ))

"Phoenix's Quality of Life, Education, and War Taxes act, I trust you to view through your party's framework. However, the rest, we must all block. The one which can only be voted on by those who gain from it, reject. The two which would destroy the CJC, reject. And the one which burns the Cortz, reject. No further attacks on Christianity can be tolerated. While I understand the major goal of the Illuminati was to protect the Crown, we must remember Religion goes hand in hand.

And Leon, the problem you see, there is none. For all three parties, Imperial, Reconquista, and Edredon are fronts for the group which truly operates in interest of Hispania. Insubstantial differences in platform allow us to gain the support of many groups of Hispania, but we work towards the common goal. If the Phoenixes cannot see this, all the better. And perhaps through more action, you will see the differences between the Edredon and Reconquista, for my plan is to pander, incredulously, to the vocal minority, such as the Italians.

However, perhaps I and the Edredon can show something. While I urge the Illuminati to reject the Phoenixes seditious reforms, the Edredon will propose a new one. Up to the individual party..."

The Papal Act
The Pope is excluded from ministerial offices, save for the Ministry of Religious Affairs.
((public))
"This Act will prevent any possibility whatsoever, however small, of split loyalty."

Cultural Autonomy Act
All provinces with a culture not Iberian, and below a certain level of development, has the power of their local government increased. ((All provinces with non-accepted, non-Iberian cultures gets autonomy increased by 25%))
"Despite our best intentions and efforts, the Crown cannot best govern every population. This Act allows Hispanians with different modes of life to better adapt their governance to their situation."

Regional Administration and Autonomy Act
  • Andalusia
  • Iberia Major
  • Italia
  • Romania
II. All primary subdivisions (with the exception of Iberia Major) in the Hispanian Empire shall be granted the authority to form their own regional assemblies, institute their own local laws, and make local legal determinations. The authority vested in these provinces shall be secondary to the authority vested in Parliament, and they shall be restricted from any attempts to create their own currency or raise troops without Imperial permission.

III. Imperial holdings in Greece will be placed under the administration of a Captain-General, forming the Captaincy-General of Greece and the Islands. The power vested in the Captaincy-General shall be roughly equivalent to the powers of the Primary Subdivisions, excepting that the Captain-General may be appointed and dismissed by the Emperor at will.

By the Cortz Reform Act in 1773, every county in Europe, be it Iberia, Italy, Romania. or Greece has a right to a seat in the Cortz. In total, there are 95 counties when including the counties held by the Crown, and secondary counties held by Dukes and Grand Dukes, which the Act clearly includes. There is no County without a Count on the Cortz, Faixon. All qualify and have taken their spots on it.

One only needs to look at the fact that five seats were added to the Cortz to represent the five counties added to the Empire in the Franco-Austrian War to see this to be clear. So once again, I demand an answer to the question. Here stands 95 seats representing 95 counties. You are demanding that twenty lose their seats. Who stays and who goes?

And if you would do something else than ignoring me as member of the Assembly, your favourite pastime, you would have realized that I wish for the Cortz to decide that matter themselves. Or are you saying that we only have incapable inbreds sitting on that body who need the leadership of a house they are ignoring? My faction member in that house thinks otherwise. I am certain the nobility is pleased to see what you think about them.

((public))
"This Act will prevent any possibility whatsoever, however small, of split loyalty."

"Despite our best intentions and efforts, the Crown cannot best govern every population. This Act allows Hispanians with different modes of life to better adapt their governance to their situation."

Here we have it. A member of the clergy admitting that there are split loyalties. There is a very good reason why we prevented the pope from exerting any worldly powers! And the Archbishop acknowledges this. Of course, a split loyalty for the highest rank also means a split loyalty for the men answering to the pope; not just for Catholics, but for each Christian hierarchy, which is one of the main reasons why we need to secularize the government! Nice try, Archbishop. Continue, then I won't need to campaign for the act any more, as you are giving our Parliament every reason it needs to enact it.

As for your Cultural Autonomy Act, be aware that its use is minimal, not to say entirely useless. As Minister of the Interior, these are my tasks, and there is no need to act. An explanation: Iberia is not part of your act.
Former Wallachia has already a very high grade of local autonomy, as has been guaranteed when the voivode accepted integration.
Africa is more or less loosely governed by the crown ever since the authority over the continent has been revoked from the TATC.
The regions that are further overseas also have a high degree of autonomy, necessary due to the distance.
Perhaps Athens remains? If the situation over there would necessite it, then the Athenians can always address a request to my ministry.
Italy is not part of your act, its cultures being accepted. But either way, my ministerial plan already includes more local government in reaction to the Elementary Education Act north of Rome, the region that has not been subject of the Aragonese Crown for over three centuries.
Now tell me, does that act serve any other purpose than to profile your new faction and sell the greater autonomy as your idea? As a man of the clergy, you are only proving my point. Don't you have heathens to convert or councils to attend?

If you wish to install regional governments, than the proposal of the Camponistas is much better, without working with abstract definitions and without meddling with things that don't need any change. Unlike the things that have to change, but are violently opposed by some members of this Parliament.

Judging from your last speeches in the election campaign and your recent act proposals, we do believe both of our factions have common ground for the near future. Yet on the other hand, your faction has voted for the Imperial lapdog Torres as Speaker. On that common ground, we are interested in a cooperation, at least until the barriers imposed on the Assembly are lifted. This cooperation would include mutual support of the acts aimed at our common goals, but as that would happen anyway, more importantly a cooperation during the next election campaign, directed against our political enemies. If the fighters for the rights of the Assembly are also fighting each other, then we are only playing into the hands of the oppressors. Our word has more weight, generates more trust if different factions work together against the ruling elites, just as these are trying against us.

Facció del Fénix

And if you would do something else than ignoring me as member of the Assembly, your favourite pastime, you would have realized that I wish for the Cortz to decide that matter themselves. Or are you saying that we only have incapable inbreds sitting on that body who need the leadership of a house they are ignoring? My faction member in that house thinks otherwise. I am certain the nobility is pleased to see what you think about them.

I hope you did not miss our friend Faixon's latest little speech. His comments about the members of the Cortz, which includs both your mother and son is most concerning.

By accusing the members of the Cortz of being inbred, he is accusing their parents of consanguinity. As you know, consanguinity is a grave crime in the laws of God and Man. By having both your Mother and Son in the Cortz, Faixon is accusing you as well of being a product of consanguinity and in such a relationship yourself.

As you know well, such an accusation to the Emperor is sedition, a capital crime.

Will you allow such a blatant disregard to the law stand? Will you allow such baseless accusations of the Trastamara line be thrown around freely? Personally, I believe a trial is needed.

Name: Alexandra von Politz, Countess of Florence
Date of Brth: May 7, 1739
Class: Noble
House: Cortz
Faction: Los Campos
Religion: Protestant
Bio: The only child of Rupert von Politz, the first son of the last Chancellor William Augustus von Politz. Alexandra was considered one of the most capable of William's descendants, and was used frequently as an agent in the machinations of the spymaster during the Civil War*. After the death of her father, she was the heir of the Chancellor, and on his death became Countess of Florence.

*Not known publicly

"I am sad to annouce the death of my father, the Count of Florence"

Reactions:
"Gentlemen, now that the hostilities against Austria have ended, I would remind you about the situation of the Hispanian merchans in Arabia - that is their violent exclusion. Have we not heard promises of intervention, be it diplomatic or militaristic? I ask you: Where is it? Why has the government taken no action in order to solve this crisis after the guarantee we have been given? Why are we still not allowed in any Arabian ports, or at the very least excluded on much fairer terms?
Is the current government of our Empire not concerned with the situation of our traders? Not touched by the insults sent towads us by the Arabian authorities?
We demand justice - and we demand it now, as it has been promised before the war with Austria.
We must shot those heathens that we, the people of Hispania will not tolarate such actions against our citizens!"

Yes, it is true that we share some policies, however we are not sure we wish to commit to any alliances at the moment. We are still trying to expand on our platform and until then we would prefer to stand alone.
However we can agree to mutual act support as well as directing our focuses on out political opponents.
However in order to survive on the scene we also have to do our best not to anger the Imperials and Reconquistadores too greatly.
We would also request some time to think more about your offer before we give a definitive answer.

"Gentlemen, now that the hostilities against Austria have ended, I would remind you about the situation of the Hispanian merchans in Arabia - that is their violent exclusion. Have we not heard promises of intervention, be it diplomatic or militaristic? I ask you: Where is it? Why has the government taken no action in order to solve this crisis after the guarantee we have been given? Why are we still not allowed in any Arabian ports, or at the very least excluded on much fairer terms?
Is the current government of our Empire not concerned with the situation of our traders? Not touched by the insults sent towads us by the Arabian authorities?
We demand justice - and we demand it now, as it has been promised before the war with Austria.
We must shot those heathens that we, the people of Hispania will not tolarate such actions against our citizens!"
I second this motion. The heathens of Arabia have committed acts of barbarity, and their barbarism must not be allowed to continue. The heathens think that we are weak, that we are too distracted bickering among each other to care. They don't recognize our strength and believe that they can bully our people around as they choose. We have to take back our country from them and put them in their place. Unlike the war with Austria, the Arabians are the aggressors and not only that are heathens; therefore, their barbarities must not go unpunished any longer. I have already issued orders to the troops to prepare for war with the offenders and call upon the government to act quickly. However, I recommend that war should only be pursued if diplomatic negotiations fail. But we will protect our people and we will protect our great nation!

((In case I didn't do it already, here's the marshal's plan: move several armies to the borders of the offending Arabian countries--I think they were Persia and Yemen?))

Diplomatic resolutions have already failed.

Military Action is the only recourse now.