• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alejandro de Leon, realizing that his party wasn't doing so well in the Parliament, decided to start his own campaign. He traveled throughout Hispania, giving speeches and donating substantial amounts of his wealth to the poor and the needy.

"People of Hispania!" he said. "It is that time of year again, that time of year when you will be called upon to choose who gets to advise our Emperor on important matters of state. I have complete confidence in your abilities to vote for the best possible candidates, be it Reconquista, Imperial, or otherwise. But you must vote, because as it stands right now, the Parliament does not get anything done."

Some people gasped.

"Yes, that is shocking, but it is the truth, and I must get the truth out. The Parliament is not fulfilling the responsibilities that it was created to serve. This is because many of the politicians that were elected in the previous election--chiefly those running on the Phoenix and Campos tickets--have used their positions of power not to discuss and pass legislature, but to argue, insult, attack, and obstruct their rivals. They have insulted the Empress Dowager herself, called her a tyrant and a madwoman. They have insulted those who opposed them as being interested in maintaining their own power. They have struck down reasonable laws that would have benefited you solely because they were not proposed by one of their comrades. It is clear they are only trying to increase their own power at the expense of others.

"Remember the last time there was an organization called the Phoenix? The first Phoenixes called the Empress Dowager a madwoman and a tyrant. They denounced those in the government at the time as being self-interested and corrupt. They refused to support laws that would have benefited all Hispanians. Worst of all, they took up arms against the Emperor himself to give their leaders, namely the traitorous Montsegur, total control over the Empire. And now a new organization named the Phoenix seeks to do the same thing, only through words and ballots instead of guns and swords. Why should you trust any movement which names itself off a rebel organization? Why should you trust a movement whose leader is a deist and opposes the policies of our holy Church?

"The Phoenix and the Campos seek to take over our great country. They desire control over the government, so that they can have free reign to purge their rivals and impose their idea of government over everybody, even the Emperor. You know the rumors of some Phoenix and Campos politicians supporting an end to the monarchy, though I obviously cannot confirm them. But they want to take over our nation. They want to oppress you as the first Phoenixes tried to do. We cannot let them do that.

"Centuries ago, the Moors invaded Iberia. They conquered many of our ancestors and forced them to speak Arabic and convert to Islam. But many of our brave Christian ancestors refused to accept their fate. They fought back against the Moorish invaders. The Reconquista took centuries, but our ancestors refused to submit to oppression and subjugation. In the end, they won. The Kingdom of Aragon, the precursor of our great empire, finished off the last of the Moors in Iberia, completing the Reconquista and finally taking back all of Iberia from the invaders. Our nation ended the Moorish threat permanently by subjugating the Moors in their homelands as they did to our ancestors, making sure they would never threaten us again.

"Our situation is not unlike that of our ancestors. Hispania is again under threat from those who wish us harm, only the threat is now from within. This threat wants us to abandon our traditions and values. They want us to conform to their ideologies. But we must tell them we will not go gently into the night. Just as our ancestors drove back the Moors and retook their country, we will fight them here and retake our country, and only then will we make Hispania even greater!

"My Reconquista Party has its origins fighting the corruption of the hated Bartomeu regime. When I realized that the government had been compromised by those who wish Hispania harmed, I refused to give in. I rallied thousands of your fellow Hispanian citizens to the banner of the Reconquista, and together we took back the government from Bartomeu. Then came the Phoenix Wars. While many fled the advancing Phoenix armies or formed militias that served only to protect themselves, the Reconquista not only defended the citizens in the cities it had influence in but also took the fight to the enemy. It was Reconquista influence that led to the Imperial victories at Madrid and Granada and led to Montsegur's downfall at Damietta. The Reconquista has always had the interests of the Hispanian people and the Hispanian nation first and foremost.

"A vote for Phoenix or Los Campos is a vote for oppression, slavery, tyranny, and a return to domination by the Moors and the cronies of Montsegur. But a vote for the Reconquista is a vote to take back our country, to breath new life into it, to make it the greatest nation to have ever existed in this world. Long live the Emperor! Long live Hispania! Vote Reconquista! For a better future! For a strong Hispania! For a united Hispanian people!"

Parta Marina hired orators to spread pro-Marina speeches across the Empire, one, maybe more notable of them being a speech calling for citizens of Hispania to unite as one under Parta Marina.
"People of Hispania! As the upcoming elections are closing in, it is time to consider who you will be backing! Will you back the political elites who only bicker, or maybe you should vote for Parta Marina – the voice of people!

As others argue over petty matters we took things into our hands!

While others fight, we offered cheap education to all!

While they tried to enforce their propaganda through it, we opposed it, stood in defense of free thought!

We are not the wealthy nobles, corrupt and interested in their own wellbeing! We are the merchants and the sailors, the craftsmen and petty officers! We are the voice of the people! Let us speak for all of you unheard, silenced by the rich and spoiled nobles!

Don’t let our name fool you! Yes, we began as party of merchants and sailors, but after seeing how mistreated the common folk of Hispania are, we have no other choice but to speak for all of us, the common man!

While the Phoenixes say they hold your interests, will you really trust a group of people bearing a name similar to those who tried to tear our great nation apart?! Surely, someone bearing the name of a rebel group cannot be the true voice of the Hispanian people.

And are you going to vote for the corrupt clique of the Imperials and Reconquistadores? Will you let those who are blinded with their own ambition and power lead this country? Those who don’t allow your voice to be fully heard be your voice?

You may still ask: But why should I vote for the Marina? And we shall deliver you a reason! Because the Elementary Education Act was only the beginning! We will not stop until common folk have the power they deserve! Until an artisan’s voice matters as much as noble’s!

We seek to empower you, we seek to keep the Hispanian economy flourishing by expanding our country’s lands and bringing in more goods!

After all what, if not trade, has sustained Hispania for so long? Thanks to trade the government has funds to pay for the army, thanks to trade the Education Act was a possibility! There’s no reason to raise taxes, to draw away your hard earned wealth when all Hispania needs is more land, more goods and a stronger navy to protect the trade routes!

However some don’t see it that way! Take Canton, which was left defenseless during the last war! The land might be on the other end of the world, but there are still Hispanians living there! However the government has done nothing to help them! And we seek to change it! No citizen of Hispania will be left behind, as you, people of our Empire, are what makes us great!

So when the time comes to vote, we hope you make the right one, you vote for someone who wished to see a strong Hispania with good economy, who wants to see its people equal to nobles!

Let’s stand united as one!"

((@Michaelangelo, the link for the most recent update doesn't work and the save refused to open since I don't have the dlc, that isn't as important.

Trade plan:
Build 2 trade ship for each trade fleet and 2 heavy ships, or 3 galleys for inland sea based fleets.))

((@Michaelangelo, the link for the most recent update doesn't work and the save refused to open since I don't have the dlc, that isn't as important.

Trade plan:
Build 2 trade ship for each trade fleet and 2 heavy ships, or 3 galleys for inland sea based fleets.))

((I've fixed the link so it should work now. Hmmm, I thought the save usually still loaded even without the DLC, but just didn't include all the extra stuff. Guess not.

As Minister of Trade, you can only build light ships for the trade fleet. The expansion of the war fleets rests with the Minister of the Navy.))

((I meant for the trade fleets.))

((Ah, that makes more sense. The Minister of Trade technically can't build anything other than light ships, so you'd need the Minister of the Navy's permission anyway, which I suppose he kind of gave. I've already played the update and I'm just waiting to end this vote before posting it, so the plan won't come into effect until the next playthrough.))

((Illuminati))
"Greetings. After the tragic accident which took the late Holiness's life, I am now of this organization. I had previously thought we could discuss perhaps allowing Saint-Pierre entrance, but after the Parta Marina's latest attacks against both parties led by the Illuminati, I have second thoughts. However, it may still be viable. If we communicate through proxies, unaffiliated, he could be made to join the Illuminati, if not align with the Royal or the General.

Tangentially, His Holiness Xystus II told me that he tried to remain publicly independent from the Imperials and Reconquista, to facilitate his words being seen as unbiased. However, his actions in the direct aftermath of the Pheonix War allowed the Phoenixes and Camponistas to tie him to the Empress Dowager. Therefore, in order to learn from his past, I will not join either parties, and when possible without changing the outcome, vote against acts positive to the aim of the Illuminati.

This will also allow me to approach Saint-Pierre as a representative of the Illuminati, not a supporter of the Royal Family."

((Illuminati))
"Greetings. After the tragic accident which took the late Holiness's life, I am now of this organization. I had previously thought we could discuss perhaps allowing Saint-Pierre entrance, but after the Parta Marina's latest attacks against both parties led by the Illuminati, I have second thoughts. However, it may still be viable. If we communicate through proxies, unaffiliated, he could be made to join the Illuminati, if not align with the Royal or the General.

Tangentially, His Holiness Xystus II told me that he tried to remain publicly independent from the Imperials and Reconquista, to facilitate his words being seen as unbiased. However, his actions in the direct aftermath of the Pheonix War allowed the Phoenixes and Camponistas to tie him to the Empress Dowager. Therefore, in order to learn from his past, I will not join either parties, and when possible without changing the outcome, vote against acts positive to the aim of the Illuminati.

This will also allow me to approach Saint-Pierre as a representative of the Illuminati, not a supporter of the Royal Family."

((Illuminati))

That would be a wise choice.

Also, make sure that you vote in the upcoming Speaker election. The voice of the Church could sway the results.

((For reference: calling us "Campos" is the same as calling us "the Countryside," which seems awfully elitist...))

"De Leon is correct in one matter - we do wish for the Countryside to lead this nation's government. If it is such a sin that it is our desire to return power away from an urban elite, then I suppose we are sinners in the name of what God has made clear to us throughout Scripture: that we must feed and clothe his sheep, which is precisely what our Country Faction seeks to do. He associates us with the Phoenixes of the Civil War, yet forgets that our founders fought on the same side, working with great effort to damage enemy efforts in Galicia, as well as proposing that period's highly successful service plan.

"We are a party for those who do not live in Valencia. We are a party for Hispania, Italy, and all the Empire - and we will continue to fight against the evils of a government which has operated largely to aid only its cronies and supporters. Let us usher in a new day for this country... a new day begun not through unnecessary and fruitless conquests of the sort which give wealth only to the select, but instead through a policy of peace, stability, and an effort to bring a diplomatically crafted balance-of-power to the European continent.

"We are the people of the Countrysides, and we will not buckle against any opposition."

((Duly noted, I was just lazy. Also what was the name of your Galician resistance movement? Assume that I used the name in the following IC.))

"I give the leader of the Camponistas the credit they deserve for pointing out my 'mistake' in referring to his party and his contributions against the Phoenix, and would like to remind him, should any of his supporters be listening now, that I was addressing the 'offending remarks' to the party of the same name. While it is true that he organized a resistance movement to the Phoenixes in Galicia during the war, it was the Reconquista which actively took the fight to the enemy, sowing dissent within its ranks and contributing to the decisive victories which ensured the demise of the Phoenix cause; while I give them credit for defending Galicia, they ultimately contributed little to nothing to the battles of Granada and Damietta which decided the war. In transitioning to a political party we seek to transfer our successes on the battlefield into successes in government.

"But may I remind all of you listening to me that this speech is being given in my hometown of Leon, which, may I remind you, is not Valencia? The de Leons and the Reconquista have always had the interests of the people and the Hispanian nation first and foremost. The Reconquista supported the education act, I remind you. It supported all laws that its members believed by popular consensus to be beneficial to the Empire and its people. The Camponistas may represent the countryside, yes, but that is it. Just the countryside, the agrarian communities, the farmers and the peasants. Let it be known that I do not say these words with scorn and recognize their many contributions to the Empire. But perhaps if the Camponistas want to represent the people they should change their name to something more appropriate, since their current name would likely turn away citizens who don't live in the countryside. They are a party of people who don't live in Valencia, but a specific subset of people, those who live in the countryside, and nobody more.

"We of the Reconquista, on the other hand, are a true party of the people. As evident by our name, we seek to retake our country from anybody who has hijacked it, be it foreign interests, corrupt elites, or traitors. Unlike our opponents, we are willing to not only oppose a government beholden to cronies--which is NOT the case currently--but also oppose anybody who threatens the Hispanian people or nation in any way. Just as our namesake did against the Moors and Phoenix, we will reconquer our country from all evil. We will eliminate potential evils to our country, be they foreign threats or internal affairs. I remind you that Hispania has not declared a war as the aggressor without a justified casus belli within recent history, and the Reconquista intends to keep it that way by negotiating and supporting mutually beneficial diplomatic agreements to keep the balance of power, only resorting to war if there is no other possible choice; we will not abandon our allies, as our alliances are the key to keeping the balance of power. I assure you, the Reconquista shall pass legislation to equally increase the quality of life for each and every Hispanian citizen, be he a farmer, merchant, soldier, sailor, noble, or bureaucrat. No citizen shall be left behind in our march to a new Hispania and a new future.

"They may be the people of the countryside. We are the people of the Hispanian nation, the people who will take back their country from their enemies, the people who I trust to make the right decision for the betterment of the Empire and themselves, the people who refuse to give in to the opposition, no matter what shape it takes or how large it is. We represent ALL Hispanians, and we will not stop until we do what is necessary to make Hispania even greater.

"For a new and better Hispania! For a better future for all Hispanians! Vote Reconquista!"

((Duly noted, I was just lazy. Also what was the name of your Galician resistance movement? Assume that I used the name in the following IC.))

"I give the leader of the Camponistas the credit they deserve for pointing out my 'mistake' in referring to his party and his contributions against the Phoenix, and would like to remind him, should any of his supporters be listening now, that I was addressing the 'offending remarks' to the party of the same name. While it is true that he organized a resistance movement to the Phoenixes in Galicia during the war, it was the Reconquista which actively took the fight to the enemy, sowing dissent within its ranks and contributing to the decisive victories which ensured the demise of the Phoenix cause; while I give them credit for defending Galicia, they ultimately contributed little to nothing to the battles of Granada and Damietta which decided the war. In transitioning to a political party we seek to transfer our successes on the battlefield into successes in government.

"But may I remind all of you listening to me that this speech is being given in my hometown of Leon, which, may I remind you, is not Valencia? The de Leons and the Reconquista have always had the interests of the people and the Hispanian nation first and foremost. The Reconquista supported the education act, I remind you. It supported all laws that its members believed by popular consensus to be beneficial to the Empire and its people. The Camponistas may represent the countryside, yes, but that is it. Just the countryside, the agrarian communities, the farmers and the peasants. Let it be known that I do not say these words with scorn and recognize their many contributions to the Empire. But perhaps if the Camponistas want to represent the people they should change their name to something more appropriate, since their current name would likely turn away citizens who don't live in the countryside. They are a party of people who don't live in Valencia, but a specific subset of people, those who live in the countryside, and nobody more.

"We of the Reconquista, on the other hand, are a true party of the people. As evident by our name, we seek to retake our country from anybody who has hijacked it, be it foreign interests, corrupt elites, or traitors. Unlike our opponents, we are willing to not only oppose a government beholden to cronies--which is NOT the case currently--but also oppose anybody who threatens the Hispanian people or nation in any way. Just as our namesake did against the Moors and Phoenix, we will reconquer our country from all evil. We will eliminate potential evils to our country, be they foreign threats or internal affairs. I remind you that Hispania has not declared a war as the aggressor without a justified casus belli within recent history, and the Reconquista intends to keep it that way by negotiating and supporting mutually beneficial diplomatic agreements to keep the balance of power, only resorting to war if there is no other possible choice; we will not abandon our allies, as our alliances are the key to keeping the balance of power. I assure you, the Reconquista shall pass legislation to equally increase the quality of life for each and every Hispanian citizen, be he a farmer, merchant, soldier, sailor, noble, or bureaucrat. No citizen shall be left behind in our march to a new Hispania and a new future.

"They may be the people of the countryside. We are the people of the Hispanian nation, the people who will take back their country from their enemies, the people who I trust to make the right decision for the betterment of the Empire and themselves, the people who refuse to give in to the opposition, no matter what shape it takes or how large it is. We represent ALL Hispanians, and we will not stop until we do what is necessary to make Hispania even greater.

"For a new and better Hispania! For a better future for all Hispanians! Vote Reconquista!"

"A party can not be a party of the people unless it supports the interests of the popularly elected Assembly over the caste of elites who the Minister of War has favored in his parliamentary career... Although one might also mention the failure of his person to make distinctions not only between a political party and the areas it represents, but also between myself and my predecessor."

As the Fénix leaders heard of the Reconquista speeches, some almost died of laughter. The Moors, oppression, slavery, Montségur! No man who gives it some thought would be swayed by these words. But it did give an opportunity for a solid counterattack.

Faixòn had a sarcastic grin on his face as he started to speak, tossing gestures underlining what he said.
"Voters of Hispania, you should not elect the Facció del Fénix. We don't have an illustrious ancestry reaching way back in Hispanian politics. Our name doesn't inspire any confidence. What else is there to say?"

He slowly turned away from the gathered crowd like a defeated general, before swerving around, full of power.
"Never have I heard anything that could be more wrong! The past is of no importance, for we now write the future! Would it be the past, most of you would be serfs of some local nobility, or cower under their 'protection'! How can someone who is so focused on the past lead Hispania into the future? Or someone who values mere words more than their actions?

Let me speak of history. The leading elites are all too quick to remind you that they have been the ones to lead the loyal cause against Montségur's Phoenix coup. Thirty years ago. Three decades, in which this simple formula has been enough to justify all they have done - a breach of most of their promises, a nearly absolute grasp of the reins of power, a government led by the arbitrary whims of these 'glorious victors'. The past is the past, and Hispania faces new challenges. Who has been good before doesn't have to be good now - Montségur himself had been a faithful general, then Marshal of Hispania for many years. And through his defeat, he has created his own successors. Centralized, oppressive power in the hands of the few, determining your lives, your deaths, on their whims. Is the past enough to justify that? Certainly not! Only your confidence, your vote can legitimize the choices of the Parliament!

And always this narrow sight on a word. 'Phoenix'. Of course, we were well-aware of its previous meaning when we chose to adopt this name for our faction. For the reason of opposing this current government, there is hardly a more fitting word. But do we stand for death, for the civil war in which we didn't participate in? No, we don't. A word can be given a new meaning, which is what the current government fails to see. Another such word? 'Peasant'. 'Serf'. 'Citizen'. 'Hispanian'. Mere years ago, simply someone who could be freely exploited as the government wished. Now, a part of the government. A change they are as blind of as to the true definition of our faction!
'Hispania' itself is such a word! Doesn't it simply mean Iberia? What about our Italian brothers? The colonies? Not included in that word. Then why do we care for them? For the word alone doesn't describe what the empire is. The word alone is not enough. You have to see what they do. Hispania is our empire with all its lands and citizens. These citizens are not simply a source of manpower and taxes, but humans contributing to the realm's government. And my faction is not a neo-rebel group, but stands for your interests, be it called Facció del Fénix, be it called Facció Popular, even if we were called Friends of Siberia or Mountains of Cusco! A name is just a mark of recognition, what is to be recognized is determined by what it describes.

Or would you believe the Marina only cares for the sea? The Campos for the countryside? These names stand for the main interests, just as we do. The interest to cause a change of our elitist ancient government of hypocrites. A government whose factions have fancy names themselves: Reconquista and Imperials. As they always take that much pleasure in reminding you what our name is in their opinion, I will take the liberty to show you my view. Think about it. What do you connect with these names?"

Faixòn smiled, let the audience discuss. After a while, he resumed.
"You have all you idea now. What is the reasoning behind Reconquista? Surely the entire peninsula is in Hispanian hands for a while now. That same old past again. Just take some heroical name and you believe you are heroes too! Isn't that great? The origins of this one lie in the shadows. Leon's personal army of spies and other thugs, defending the interests he will certainly claim to be Hispania's. Out of the shadows, on to the political scene! And then, continue just where we left off. Spreading lies, gathering information, serve as nothing more than Leon's personal enforcers. I told you how the meaning of a name can change. It can be a positive development, as we want to achieve, but it can also be negative. From the heroical reminder of Iberia's history, to some fools in the name of an old general who doesn't see that the future is not the past. Who claims to have done great things, but betrays his own ideals. Who doesn't even recognize our lead ideal of tolerance! Who votes against giving the people more rights, but claims to support them! Nothing but a hypocrite living on remnants of the past. That faction should be put out of its misery soon.

The Imperials at least are true to their name. They lead the empire. Who cares what others think? This faction is made to reign. Any vote for the Imperials is a vote against your own rights. 'Enslave me, for I don't know what I should do!'

Names, the past, all illusions. Base your decision on none of that. A word has not just one meaning, it differs. Find your own! Defend your rights! For that the word 'citizen' gains the meaning it deserves!"

Due to the recent events, members of Parta Marina went out to give numerous speeches to win the people. One of such speeches was given out in the streets of Valencia. Charles de Saint-Pierre was not seen amongst thopse spreading the word of the Marina.
"Friends, listeners, people of Hispania!

You’ve all heard what others have to say, you listened to their idea, their lies… It is time to stop that all!

They want you to vote for them, give them more power! However you may ask ‘isn’t it what you want as well?’ and the answer is yes, but here is why we – the Parta Marina – are different!

They were created by nobles, and nobles hold power, they will do anything to stay with it, to oppress you all for the sake of their profit! But enough is enough! No longer shall the common man of Hispania allow himself to be abused!

They speak of the meaning of their name, of the heritage it has, other speak of the past and how it does not matter, as we should only look to the future!

We say that if we want a better future we need to gaze onto the history and learn from it! And when we do what do we see? A long history of nobles oppressing the citizen of Hispania for their own goal! The privileged enslaving those who could do nothing about it, claiming all the gory and wealth, while the rest had to work hard to achieve anything!

But this shall change, that is if you make the right choice!

Will you vote for those who are the history, or those unwilling to learn from it? Or maybe you will choose those who see the mistakes of the past and are ready to fight for Hispania and the Empire’s people!

As we should all know: Hispania is not mealy the heart of it – Iberia – but the entire country, spreading from the mountains of Cusco to the people of Canton! We are an Empire on which the Sun never sets, and we all deserve to have a voice!

However there are those who wish to keep the old order, only deceiving each and every one of you into believing that your choice matters!

It does – for now – but it may not be so in the future! You – the people of Hispania – must choose wisely and fight back against the tyrants of the past, against those blinded by a glorious future and look at here and now!

Will you accept your fate as a puppet and allow yourself to be controlled as the puppeteers wish, or will you fight back and stand united as one? Will you fight for your right to live freely, live in a world where your voice will be heard, or will you let them silence you under their regime and propaganda?

They speak of great plans for the future, the make, and made, promises, but do they keep them? So far the history has proved otherwise. But there are those who seek to empower you and their recent actions prove that they’re capable of staying true to their word!

And you might wonder ‘Who are they? Who do we keep talking about?’. We think you know well, so we will not call out any names, our speech is free to be interpreted how you wish. At this point all of you should have a good idea of who are they, but if you’re still not fully certain they are the powers in the shadows, pulling the strings to get you to vote for them, just so they can keep on breaking their promises while their power grows.

The old order, the order from before the Phoenix war will return, if we’re not careful enough, and again the voice of a common Hispanian man will not matter. We mustn’t let that happen! We must unite against tyranny, unite so that history doesn’t repeat itself and we will be free to live as we want! So people in Canton will be able to live their peaceful lives, that citizens in Africa will matter as much as citizens in Iberia.

People of Hispania, let’s stand united as one!"

((Just a note, all places where citizen would appear in a democracy are instead "Subject of the Crown". The concept of "citizen" doesn't exist in Hispanian law, but mostly a historical piece in democracies like pre-Roman Athens. Of course I may be wrong, @Michaelangelo))

((Time to close the vote.

Speaker (Assembly Only):
200 for Francesco Torres (Imperial)
100 for Miquel Sanchez (Independent)​

Update will be up shortly.))

((Just a note, all places where citizen would appear in a democracy are instead "Subject of the Crown". The concept of "citizen" doesn't exist in Hispanian law, but mostly a historical piece in democracies like pre-Roman Athens. Of course I may be wrong, @Michaelangelo))

((I wouldn't get too strung up on terms. As long as people know what it means, it's fine. I know I've been using "nation" to refer to countries since the start of the iAAR, although that term didn't really come into use until the rise of nationalism. Same goes for using "state" instead of "Crown". Subject would probably be more accurate, I suppose.))

((Time to close the vote.

Speaker (Assembly Only):
200 for Francesco Torres (Imperial)
100 for Miquel Sanchez (Independent)​

Update will be up shortly.))

((I wouldn't get too strung up on terms. As long as people know what it means, it's fine. I know I've been using "nation" to refer to countries since the start of the iAAR, although that term didn't really come into use until the rise of nationalism. Same goes for using "state" instead of "Crown". Subject would probably be more accurate, I suppose.))

((Technically electors are usually considered citizens, even in monarchies. Only those who can't vote would be subjects, afaik.))

Reactions:
1783-1788 – The Second Franco-Austrian War

With the passing of the Elementary Education Act, basic education was to be provided to all Hispanian children. It would take some time to set up the schools and create a curriculum, but the Hispanian people would become more intelligent as a whole.

As conflict erupted between France and Austria, the Hispanian armies marched to the Austrian border. The Iberian and Italian armies mustered in Northern Italy before pushing north. The Exercit Napoli, which had temporarily been stationed in Moldavia since there wasn’t an army prepared for protecting the region, was recalled to Byzantium until reinforcements could arrive. The Exercit Africa was already on its way, marching through Byzantium, while the Exercits Athens and Jerusalem were still waiting for transport from India. Lithuania would have to be left to its own devices and hopefully Moldavia wouldn’t be invaded, while the remaining forces focused on Austria. A tiny force was recruited in Nuevo Leon to take out Scotland’s colonies and capture them if possible.

As Hispania expanded, so did the merchant class. While in the past certain families had dominated trade in Hispania, the market was becoming more competitive. Smaller companies could flourish if they found the right niche. Monopolies were crumbling. However, this did not mean foreign companies did well. Hispania always put its own first. ((Forgot we were about to unlock a second merchant. I sent this one to Ragusa, where he will stay unless told otherwise.))

The Venetian fleet made the mistake of wandering into Austrian waters, where it was attacked. With the main armada in mothballs and the more powerful transport fleets moving between Africa and India, there was no one to protect them. A retreat was recalled after three ships were lost, and the fleet remained in port until reinforcements arrived, with Byzantium already sending their fleet over.

Tyrone was the first of the allies to take a hit, with Scotland taking out their entire army early on. France already had a massive army marching through Scotland, so perhaps things were not too far gone for the Irish. As for the other enemies, Lithuania was spotted sending forces into the Scandinavian Baltics and Austria made a grab for the much-coveted Cremona before the arrival of both French and Hispanian forces scared them off.

Minister of the Navy Liu Binhan ordered the expansion of the transport fleets, with ten extra transports added to each fleet to ensure they could adequately carry any army and lessen the risk of men lost in the event of a naval battle.

While Austria could not strike at the much stronger France and Hispania, Bavaria was much more vulnerable. They attacked the Bavarian army at Regensburg, hoping the enemy was distracted to the south. All alone, the Bavarians faced a humiliating defeat. The Germans attempted to send reinforcements, but did not arrive in time. The Austrians, now perhaps a bit cocky from their spectacular victory against Bavaria, assaulted part of the German army. This proved foolhardy, since both Germany and France had well over 100k men heading towards the battlefield. Austrian morale was strong though, and although they lost, the Austrians dealt a blow to Germany and France.

Austria’s boldness was not limited to the northern theatre. They attempted an attack on Lieutenant General Dias’s army in Ferrara, despite the larger number of Hispanian soldiers in the nearby provinces. Reinforcements soon arrived, along with Captain General Saint-Pierre. The blow against Bavaria was paid back as the Austrian army lost over 30k men. Austria would have to think twice before testing the armies besieging Ferrara and Mantua.

As for Leon, he made a push for Treviso. Securing the coastline was key in pushing north into Austria and linking up with Byzantium. The two armies that had gathered in Byzantium were already on their way to Lika on the Greek border.

The plan to send a small expeditionary force against Scotland’s colonies paid off. The colony at Kawesqar was captured by a small force and forcibly seized. The remaining coastal colony was much too large to seize and was left alone.

In December, the Austrian army was caught in Pilsen, as a combination of German, Scandinavian, and French troops dealt them a solid blow.

As Hispanians went to vote right at the end of the year, the government budget temporarily dropped into the red, with costs rising for the army and colonial maintenance. The conditions in Mantua and Ferrara were not ideal, especially with 76k men sitting outside the walls, making them quite costly to maintain, and the Scottish colony put pressure on the treasury. War taxes were levied to keep funds flowing.

The Austrians kept trying to hold off the armies in Bohemia without success. The combined force of the Valois nations was too much for them, although they made sure to inflict some serious damage whenever they were attacked.

The war between Yemen and Alodia came to an end, with war reparations paid out. Neither nation could reach each other now that Kaffa had taken Yemen’s land near Alodia, so the war naturally fizzled out.

The Scottish colony in Poyo was not in a good position to maintain for Hispania, especially as funds increased with the acquisition of the previous Scottish colonies. Rather than take the colony and put unnecessary pressure on the treasury, the fledgling colony was burned to the ground.

Germany announced to the world that they would serve as the Defender of the Protestant Faith. Seeing as they were the only Protestant nation in existence, this was a hollow claim.

Pirates were plaguing trade vessels near Gaza and the treasury dished out some ducats to ensure they could build up defences.

The UKA wasn’t quite done with its Canadian neighbours. It declared war, intent on unifying the two former English colonies.

A new settlement established in Sampit saw the region rise in prosperity. This was offset though by the decreasing help provided by the natives involved in the fur trade. It seemed they didn’t feel inclined to assist Hispanians for now.

The Austrians, not able to make gains against France, Germany, or Hispania, went after Bavaria instead. This time they didn’t have the numbers. Bavaria, with German and French assistance, forced the Austrians from their land. This came shortly after the successful reclamation of Regensburg.

The Lithuanians attempted to push on to Austria, but a combined Valois force caught them in Poland.

Manufactories were popping up all over Hispania as the new Minister of the Interior, Emiliano Faixòn, focused on their construction. While a costly endeavour, it was nothing Hispania couldn’t afford, and it boosted the production of key goods for Hispania.

By June of 1784, the first of the fleets arrived from India with an army. The men landed in Venice to take the city.

Bavaria was getting payback with French and German help, crushing a Silesian and Austrian army.

After a nearly year-long siege, Ferrara was the first of the Italian forts to fall. With the south all but secure, Saint-Pierre marched north to assist the Bavarians in reclaiming their lost land. The new army started securing the coastline.

The Germans made a risky attack on Austria’s army in Linz. The river crossing had left them vulnerable, and Austrian morale was high. The arrival of reinforcements, and the leadership of the superior Bavarian general turned things around right at the end, but many men were lost.

Scotland was the first of the enemy nations to cave. The French invasion was too much for it and it agreed to pay war reparations and end ties with Austria. Just around the same time, the former Scottish colony of Kawesqar became self-sustaining.

A skilled statesman found his way into government, one Jose Monino. A close advisor of the Emperor, he assisted various ministries, notably the foreign and finance ministries, without claiming their leadership. His talents were a great boon for Hispania.

The Bavarians and Germans continued to push the Austrians around, this time forcing them from Salzburg, albeit with more losses than the Austrians. The French, on the other hand, had moved on to Lithuania. The French Crown Prince personally led an army against Lithuania in Polotsk and utterly crushed the Lithuanians. An entire army of 40k capitulated by the end of the battle.

The capture of Treviso secured a key port on the Mediterranean and freed some armies to march north. It was the capture of Gorz that proved more important as the Austrian navy was forced from port. Admiral Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre was waiting in the Gulf of Venice with the Flota Mediterranean. The Austrians weren’t up for a confrontation and sought shelter in Istrien, but that was a temporary solution. Eventually they were forced to fight again, and with the Venice trade fleet arriving during the battle, they faced much larger losses.

While this whole war was going on, Admiral Liu Binhan had spent time with the Armada Colonial near Canton. At some point during the war, the Admiral took leave of the navy and retired for good. ((Sorry @wzhang29, your character died in-game while over 80, so you’re retired now. I’m surprised it hasn’t tried to off Leon or Saint-Pierre recently.))

Mantua finally gave in at the start of 1785, the last of the Italian forts. Austria was truly crumbling now. Western Austria was on its way down and troops were nearing Wien. Dias and another army headed east towards Lithuania, where most of the work was now needed.

Conflict erupted in the east as Qing flexed its muscles and attacked Bukhara.

In May of 1785, Lika fell, the last of the coastal forts. Another faceoff occurred at sea, one the Austrians could not escape. The French had arrived to assist this time, making the outcome all but certain. The Austrian fleet was no more.

Naval expansion was always encouraged, but difficult to maintain. There were those that called for an even bigger navy, something that was catching on.

As the Austrian front quieted down now that most of Austria had fallen and was being overrun, the first of the armies made their way towards Yemen’s border as per Minister of War Alejandro de Leon’s instructions.

Canada lost the bulk of its remaining provinces to the UKA, reduced to a small nation along Hudson Bay. The UKA now dominated the east coast of North America.

The Valois continued their successes, with the King of Germany and his French uncle decimating a Lithuanian army with Greek help.

Hispania was content to focus on sieges while everyone else fought the battles. Due to this focus, Landshut was claimed by Saint-Pierre for Bavaria. All of Bavaria’s former land held by Austria was under its control. The timing proved fortunate, for the Austrians made a move on Byzantium’s army in Prag. Saint-Pierre’s arrival perhaps saved the Greeks from defeat.

The Austrians, apparently fearing for their lives as they fled east from the madness, ran right into Dias’s army and faced an untimely demise.

Silesia gave up trying to fight and agreed to pay war reparations and break ties with Austria.

The first Lithuanian fort, Rowne, was taken in November, the first in a push eastwards into the Lithuanian interior. Bratslav fell a few months later. Most of Lithuania’s nearby land was not protected by a fort and was easily targeted after that.

Back in Austria, they had gathered together some straggler regiments to retake land. A free army aiding the French in Wien attempted to stop them, but the situation was not favourable. Leon had to rush over from Salzburg to ensure a victory.

The colony of Sampit reached a state of self-sufficiency at the start of 1786. The Crown continued with establishing colonies in Indonesia, claiming what was left of Borneo.

The Emperor celebrated the birth of another child with the Empress giving him a second daughter, named Diana.

Everyone was starting to gather in Lithuania. The Scandinavians crushed a Lithuanian army on their march west, while the French arrived shortly after. Byzantium went right for the Lithuanian capital.

Ordinances were often used to send orders to the more distant parts of the Empire. Sometimes those orders were not fully carried out. Enforcement was quite lax at times, especially in places like India.

Prag fell in May, shortly followed by the French taking Wien. The Austrians were not deterred and instead sent an army after Byzantium. A foolish mistake as a Hispanian army intervened and put an end to that invasion.

The entire island of Taiwan was now firmly under Hispanian control, an excellent naval base near China and secure source of trade. That didn’t mean that Hispania couldn’t further influence the region by colonizing the Philippines. A lonesome colony in Kwakiutl was also finished on the behalf of the Phoenixes.

The effects of conquering parts of India was finally starting to wear off. Nations were not as wary of Hispania.

By September, another Lithuanian fort had fallen. In that time, Hispania’s allies had done some work. Scandinavia had occupied most of the border provinces and the Lithuanian capital had fallen. Lithuania was now on the ropes.

The following month, it was Salzburg that fell, securing all but one remaining province of Austria’s. With Austria all but defeated, armies started making their way home. On the way, Leon encountered some disgruntled Austrian nobles in Augsburg. Seeing as the land would soon be French, he did them a favour and removed that threat.

By November, Austria had had enough. Brought to the peace table, they were presented with the peace settlement drafted up beforehand by France and its allies. France claimed most of Western Austria all the way up to Tirol. Bavaria was returned all its cores, finally returned to its former size at last. Germany was granted parts of Silesia that allowed for a land connection to their Bohemian province, hopefully removing a source of tension with Bavaria. Scandinavia received a few border provinces from Lithuania. As for Hispania, as promised they were given all the Italian coast up to and including Venice. Austria still retained a small coastline, but it was too much to ask for their entire coast when everyone else had demands too. Either way, more of Italy had been secured, including the vital trading city of Venice.

Delhi was showing signs of decline. Nogai declared independence from them, possibly due to not having a border with their province.

Austria, in what can only be considered a poor attempt at humour, demanded Verona be returned seeing as it was an unlawfully held province of the HRE. Seeing as the HRE had only three members, one of whom took orders from Hispania and another who was an insignificant state, such a claim seemed hollow at best. Perhaps it served its purpose to rile up the population, which was noticeably Austrian now after decades of Austrian rule.

At the beginning of 1787, a celebration ensued following the birth of another royal baby, this time a boy named Martí.

Religious freedom in Hispania allowed people to dabble in all forms of Christianity. The people of Cairo were quite avid at trying them all.

Austria was not done yet. A claim was sent a month later, demanding Venezia be returned. It was equally ignored, but the Austrians living in the province were growing restless.

The dissent of Hispania’s new Austrian subjects was nothing compared to the cultural clash occurring elsewhere in the Empire. The effects of the Elementary Education Act were starting to be felt, and non-Iberians were not taking it well. The fact that all lessons were taught in Hispanian, despite few outside Iberia even speaking the language, was viewed with open hostility as an overt attempt at assimilation. Non-Iberians from Italy to Greece and Wallachia refused to enroll their children in the schools. Protests erupted regarding the fact that they had to pay taxes for schools intended to assimilate them. While small in scale, it was expected their voices would be heard at the next election. ((The event also raised autonomy in Europe outside Iberia, but didn’t mention it for some reason.))

Delhi continued to fall apart as they faced a period of internal conflicts.

A colony was established in Maguindanao in the Philippines, believed to be a prosperous part of the island chain.

The increasing urbanization of Hispania was starting to cause issues. Cities were growing at an unsustainable rate, leading to the creation of unsanitary slums. The burghers of these cities tried their best to fend off the worst of it, but they needed help. The Crown invested funds into correcting the situation and ensuring the cities grew at a stable rate and that everyone was provided for.

As 1787 reached its end, a war with Yemen was in the works. The Exercits Napoli, Athens, and Jerusalem had gathered on Yemen’s borders, while the Exercit Africa had joined the Exercit Colonial in India. Yemen had only one ally, Malwa, which meant another war in India. The upcoming elections delayed the declaration, but once those were over the call could be made.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, and Protector of the Greeks.

The French held to their word, and now we control more of the Italian coast, a great boon to trade and a step further to restoring Mare Nostrum. It seems though that the population of these former Italian lands have been indoctrinated by the Austrians, and Austria does not hesitate to use that to stir up trouble in those lands. Perhaps in time they will calm down, or they will continue to raise problems as long as they listen to Austria’s call.

This matter of the schools should be addressed. While I’m certain the intention was to provide quality education for all, it seems that some people in the Empire have not taken well to parts of it. It seems either we must assuage their concerns or change things to suit their needs. A school without students is a waste of government funds.

We must always look to the future. How shall we strive forward? Do we strengthen our trade empire? Do we aspire to colonize untouched lands? Or, perhaps, do we go in as conquerors and take the most valuable land for ourselves? That is a chose we must all consider.

((The whole language debate was all my idea. As someone living in a country with a very vocal minority, it seemed likely that the Non-Iberians in our iAAR would not take kindly to being told they can only attend school in Hispanian. We’ll see how this plays out.

Ministers have until Sunday at 12PM PST to post their plans. Players may also propose laws and reforms in that time period. Also, if you intend to dispute a position like Speaker or Minister of Education, please do it before the vote starts. Saves time for all of us. Election results for 1784 and 1788 will be up later.

))

The Election of 1784

The election of 1784 was a hotly contested one, but one that ultimately saw all the parties grow their position at the expense of the Independents. The war against Malwa swayed a few votes to both sides, with those glad at the expansion of the Indian colonies drifting towards the Imperials or Reconquista, while the more pacifist voters who saw it as a waste of lives tended to vote for the Phoenix party. A similar trend occurred in regards to the war against Austria, but the numbers did not sway that much. The Parta Marina saw a steady influx of votes due to the increasing number of voters favouring trade as a key issue, as well as the passing of the Elementary Education Act. The Cortz saw a similar trend, but in fewer numbers. The Crown Prince coming of age meant that he took his seat in the Cortz. Perhaps not that knowledgeable of politics, he did not side with any party at the outset. Most surprising of all though was the first Phoenix Cortz member. One of the more left-leaning nobles had taken up their cause. What this meant for the future of the Cortz was yet to be determined.

Assembly

Independent (Appointed) - 74 (0)
Independent - 49 (-28)
Imperial - 38 (+3)
Reconquista - 23 (+6)
Marina - 40 (+11)
Los Campos - 45 (+2)
Phoenix - 31 (+6)

Cortz

Independent (Crown) - 10 (+1)
Independent - 13 (-8)
Imperial - 22 (+2)
Reconquista - 23 (+2)
Marina - 10 (+3)
Los Campos - 12 (0)
Phoenix - 1 (+1)​

((I'm having some difficulties getting the images for the elections posted. First the parliament seating site went down, and after it finally started working imgur decided to refuse to upload any image. Had to go back to photobucket just for these. What a nuisance. :rolleyes: As for the 1788 Election, that shall come later. Just need to work on the numbers.))

Last edited:
Alejandro de Leon stood up in Parliament.

"Honored representatives," he said, "You were all chosen by the Hispanian people to represent them and their interests. We were all equally chosen in the beliefs by the people that we would listen to their concerns and pass legislation to improve their quality of life. The Elementary Education Act was one such legislation. Yet it now appears that this law is not sufficiently appropriate for all Hispanians. Many of our citizens have complained about the quality of the new schools and claim that they are a front for 'assimilation.' As a result, many prospective non-Hispanian citizens have refused to pay taxes that would fund these schools. Therefore, as a member of the Parliament first and foremost, I suggest the following additions to the Elementary Education Act designed to assuage their fears. I implore you all to consider my proposal and debate its merits and drawbacks and save your personal attacks on MPs that don't share your views for another time.

Additions to the Elementary Education Act

1. Education shall be conducted primarily in Hispanian, as the original Act intended. In regions with non-Hispanian minorities, citizens can opt to have their children educated in their native language(s) as well as Hispanian. For example, citizens who identify as Italian and speak Italian may chose to have their children educated in Italian in addition to Hispanian. In regions with non-Hispanian majorities, education shall be conducted as follows. In the beginning, a student's education shall be conducted mostly or completely in said student's native language. As the student matures, there will be a gradual introduction of the Hispanian language into the curriculum, until by the conclusion of said student's education the curriculum is conducted mostly in Hispanian.

2. Citizens shall elect their own representatives to the board of the school district they live in so that they can air their grievances and concerns more efficiently. Such elected board representatives, whose terms last for one year, will be responsible for collectively determining educational policy within the district.

3. Families who cannot afford to pay for their children to board with citizens closer to schools can instead apply to the school board to send their children to board at state-run residences at a substantially lower fee. The school board shall decide to approve the application and how much the fee shall be based on the family's financial circumstances. To prevent citizens' personal opinions of each other from interfering in this process, a member of the school board not elected by the local citizens and instead appointed by the Ministry of Education shall oversee the processing of each application.

"I sincerely hope that these additions improve the welfare of the common people and alleviate their concerns over assimilation. As noted by many other honorable members of Parliament, Hispania has a long tradition of cultural tolerance, and we should respect that. Clause (1) is appropriate because it will allow citizens to retain their cultural and linguistic identity while also fostering national unity throughout the Empire in teaching them Hispanian. Clause (2) is appropriate because it will allow citizens to discuss their concerns about local educational policy with each other and work on ways to resolve them, as they are most familiar with their own concerns; in addition, it would grant the citizens more oversight over their own affairs. Clause (3) is appropriate because it will allow rural families to send their children to school without incurring heavy financial burdens, give local citizens the power to decide their own education policy, and prevent free-riders from taking advantage of the system.

"Moving on, the issue of increased urbanization has recently caught the attention of the Parliament. Hispanian citizens should not be living in such squalor and filth, especially if they had given up their previous way of life and moved to the city in search of new beginnings. It is our moral imperative to help out these citizens, and I therefore propose the following bill to improve quality of life for not only the newest inhabitants of our cities, but also for all Hispanian citizens:

Improvement of Quality of Life Act

1. At least one hospital, staffed by university-trained doctors and nurses, shall be established in every village and town for the well-being of all Hispanian citizens. Hospitals may not charge any citizen for use of any of their facilities; they shall be funded through a small tax levied on all Hispanian citizens equally. Cities will have at least one hospital per every district within said city for ease of access for every citizen.

2. The government will organize volunteer task forces to clean up and improve on the sanitary conditions of every city; local civilian governments will be allowed to form their own volunteer task forces. Local laws and ordinances shall be established and enforced to make sure that sanitary conditions remain satisfactory.

3. The government will attempt to relocate citizens in overpopulated areas, with their consent, to state-funded affordable housing units. Should not enough citizens consent to relocation, the government will send architects, engineers, and sanitation workers to clean up the overpopulated neighborhood and bring its housing units in line with safety regulations.

4. Appropriate safety and sanitation regulations will be established at the national level as a baseline for local civilian governments to set their own regulations, to ensure that all citizens enjoy the best possible quality of life and have the ability to decide what levels of regulation are appropriate for them.

"I strongly believe that this proposal will improve the quality of life for all Hispanian citizens, especially those who had just moved to urban areas. Clause (1) is appropriate, because it would provide for a way for all citizens to obtain affordable and effective health care. Clause (2) is appropriate, because it would grant more power over the citizens to control their own quality of life as well as providing satisfactory sanitation levels for all neighborhoods. Clause (3) is appropriate, because it would attempt remedy the negative issues caused by overpopulation without violating a citizen's consent. Clause (4) is appropriate, as it would set a baseline for sanitary and safety conditions that would improve the quality of life not only for the inhabitants of the cities but also for all Hispanians while also giving the citizens the ability to decide how much regulation they want.

"As a fellow member of the Parliament, I urge all of you to consider the merits and drawbacks of both of these proposals and discuss with each other what should be done with each proposal. It is what the Parliament was made to do. If we can overcome our differences and work together, regardless of how we personally think of each other, we can achieve great things. We can make Hispania even greater together.

"I yield the floor. Thank you for your time."