• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Of course the Bavarians don't mind your negotiation, Dowager Empress. Why should they? It is only their lives they may lose. Why should anyone be unwilling to listen to what your incredible intellect that radiates all over the world has decided for their fate? It is not like anyone in Hispania does. I am sure they will happily follow the order of a foreigner who hasn't got the slightest connection to their people save for having the same monarch.

I expect an answer, a reaction from His Imperial Highness himself, and as you aren't telling him anything, we have decided to take this matter into our hands. If the 'enlightenened' monarchy has a future, a present other than the dictature of you and your cronies, then there has to be a change. Perhaps a reaction to your underhanded tactics to exert your complete control is the first step."

While the Parliament was in session and Faixòn speaking, one member of the Fénix had reached the palace. Either he would reach the Emperor himself and give him the Parliament's protocols, or he would have his cousin in the Guardia Real do it. Alfons had to show himself in front of the Assembly and react to his clear domination by his mother, her actions, the Bavarian situation, and whatever else would be necessary. His reaction would tell a lot, no matter which it would be. But some kind of reaction had to be forced.

"Unless the terms of the war are negotiated and presented correctly, the call to arms cannot be accepted. As for the acts that are discussed, I must salute Saint-Pierre's initiative to educate the masses. Only this way can Hispania can the people truly develop their free thought and realize their potential. A free thought that we have encouraged for a long time, and that Leon wishes to curtail in his amendment! 'Loyalty to the emperor' - what a joke. 'Loyalty to you and your master' is far more fitting, don't you think? For this is the only reason of the third part of the amendment: to put each Hispanian from his childhood onwards in control of the reigning dictatorship!"

((Answer France's Call-to-arms: No (for now)
Elementary Education Act of 1783: Yes
Amendment to Elementary Education Act: No

Mission: Abstain
National Focus: None

[Courtier, Fénix leader]

Also, if you missed it, I wanted to fund a colony in Tlingit/anywhere next to the Haida.))

Last edited:
"Of course the Bavarians don't mind your negotiation, Dowager Empress. Why should they? It is only their lives they may lose. Why should anyone be unwilling to listen to what your incredible intellect that radiates all over the world has decided for their fate? It is not like anyone in Hispania does. I am sure they will happily follow the order of a foreigner who hasn't got the slightest connection to their people save for having the same monarch.

I expect an answer, a reaction from His Imperial Highness himself, and as you aren't telling him anything, we have decided to take this matter into our hands. If the 'enlightenened' monarchy has a future, a present other than the dictature of you and your cronies, then there has to be a change. Perhaps a reaction to your underhanded tactics to exert your complete control is the first step."

While the Parliament was in session and Faixòn speaking, one member of the Fénix had reached the palace. Either he would reach the Emperor himself and give him the Parliament's protocols, or he would have his cousin in the Guardia Real do it. Alfons had to show himself in front of the Assembly and react to his clear domination by his mother, her actions, the Bavarian situation, and whatever else would be necessary. His reaction would tell a lot, no matter which it would be. But some kind of reaction had to be forced.

"Unless the terms of the war are negotiated and presented correctly, the call to arms cannot be accepted. As for the acts that are discussed, I must salute Saint-Pierre's initiative to educate the masses. Only this way can Hispania can the people truly develop their free thought and realize their potential. A free thought that we have encouraged for a long time, and that Leon wishes to curtail in his amendment! 'Loyalty to the emperor' - what a joke. 'Loyalty to you and your master' is far more fitting, don't you think? For this is the only reason of the third part of the amendment: to put each Hispanian from his childhood onwards in control of the reigning dictatorship!"

((Answer France's Call-to-arms: No (for now)
Elementary Education Act of 1783: Yes
Amendment to Elementary Education Act: No

Mission: Abstain
National Focus: None

[Courtier, Fénix leader]

Also, if you missed it, I wanted to fund a colony in Tlingit/anywhere next to the Haida.))

JpsioAG.png

It seems time to dispel these ridiculous rumours. I am well aware of what is occurring within Parliament. I am not oblivious to what is discussed here. I have merely chosen to trust that the members of Parliament are intelligent enough to debate matters using logic and rhetoric without me hovering over them, but if the desire for me to directtly dictate policy is preferred then I shall consider being more vocal. As for these accusations against the Empress Dowager, all of the ministers and members of Parliament are here because I allow it. It was I who created this system so that a consensus of many could help guide the nation rather than the will of one. I have encouraged the members of Parliament to share their thoughts, to present the various sides of each argument. It is how we ensure that we pick the best choice possible for every situation. The Empress Dowager, as well as the other ministers, do not dictate policy as dictators, but present what they believe is the best choice and I allow them to because I trust their judgment. If I felt that their decisions were truly detrimental to Hispania, they would be dismissed. So far they have not been. We have recovered and prospered beyond belief since the Civil War. As long as that continues, I see no reason to doubt their judgment.

As for the matter of Bavaria, while I cannot share the exact details of negotiations with the French, for it would not do for the Austrians and their people to get wind of how their enemies wishes to carve up their country, I can state that the desires of the Bavarians have been considered. The Bavarian people are as much my subjects as those living in Italy, Iberia, or anywhere else in the Empire. The Empress Dowager ensured that they were considered when discussing a future settlement. If Hispania is to make any gains in this war, so will Bavaria.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

((Ah, near Haida. I wrote down Haida and then realized it was occupied, so I ended up colonizing one a bit further south near our existing colony in Nootka. I hope that's okay.))

As you may know, the Phoenix Faction has rejected the call of war as have Los Campos, but since their factions have little power in the Cortz, it is likely that the Cortz approves it. And as Foreign Minister, the person responsible for such affairs, I also see the need of aiding France. It simply will not do to break our alliance with them over Austria. The Habsburgs are not worth it such consequences. I fear that you will be presented with a difficult decision in the near future, where you need to choose between the Cortz and the Foreign Minister, and the Assembly, who have proven time and again to know nothing concerning diplomacy.

Faced with this, I believe that the answer is simple. If the Phoenix so greatly wants to see you take direct action, then do it. Ignore the Assembly's vote in the call to war and trust the people who regularly intermarry with foreigners and the person you trust to handle our foreign policy.

As you may know, the Phoenix Faction has rejected the call of war as have Los Campos, but since their factions have little power in the Cortz, it is likely that the Cortz approves it. And as Foreign Minister, the person responsible for such affairs, I also see the need of aiding France. It simply will not do to break our alliance with them over Austria. The Habsburgs are not worth it such consequences. I fear that you will be presented with a difficult decision in the near future, where you need to choose between the Cortz and the Foreign Minister, and the Assembly, who have proven time and again to know nothing concerning diplomacy.

Faced with this, I believe that the answer is simple. If the Phoenix so greatly wants to see you take direct action, then do it. Ignore the Assembly's vote in the call to war and trust the people who regularly intermarry with foreigners and the person you trust to handle our foreign policy.

JpsioAG.png

They are but two factions in the Assembly. They are not the only ones who are voting. It is too soon to assume the Assembly does not favour the call-to-arms. I will act as I see fit, but only once the outcome is certain. There is no point stressing over unknowns. Regardless, I agree that France is an important ally and Austria has slighted us one time too many. That must always be taken into account.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

((I just realized that we're due to receive a new merchant, so @DragonOfAtlantis you can tell me where to send him. I've been using this list from a previous minister to determine where our first dozen or so merchants go. Feel free to just pick somewhere not listed or a general area.))

It seems time to dispel these ridiculous rumours. I am well aware of what is occurring within Parliament. I am not oblivious to what is discussed here. I have merely chosen to trust that the members of Parliament are intelligent enough to debate matters using logic and rhetoric without me hovering over them, but if the desire for me to directtly dictate policy is preferred then I shall consider being more vocal. As for these accusations against the Empress Dowager, all of the ministers and members of Parliament are here because I allow it. It was I who created this system so that a consensus of many could help guide the nation rather than the will of one. I have encouraged the members of Parliament to share their thoughts, to present the various sides of each argument. It is how we ensure that we pick the best choice possible for every situation. The Empress Dowager, as well as the other ministers, do not dictate policy as dictators, but present what they believe is the best choice and I allow them to because I trust their judgment. If I felt that their decisions were truly detrimental to Hispania, they would be dismissed. So far they have not been. We have recovered and prospered beyond belief since the Civil War. As long as that continues, I see no reason to doubt their judgment.

As for the matter of Bavaria, while I cannot share the exact details of negotiations with the French, for it would not do for the Austrians and their people to get wind of how their enemies wishes to carve up their country, I can state that the desires of the Bavarians have been considered. The Bavarian people are as much my subjects as those living in Italy, Iberia, or anywhere else in the Empire. The Empress Dowager ensured that they were considered when discussing a future settlement. If Hispania is to make any gains in this war, so will Bavaria.

((Ah, near Haida. I wrote down Haida and then realized it was occupied, so I ended up colonizing one a bit further south near our existing colony in Nootka. I hope that's okay.))

"Your Majesty, if you would allow it, I will speak as freely as this Parliament is used to hear from me. With all due respect to Your person as a loyal subject. I will explain why we need Your presence and opinion.

The Assembly, as it has been created, should serve the purpose of an advisory body for the Crown. A promise completely broken and not followed in any way, as we are simply ignored. We are - certainly not all present here -", Faixòn glances towards the Imperials, "intelligent enough to debate matters, and we certainly do. But so far, we had not a single confirmation that it is of any use. No matter how the debate ends up, in the end the decision will be made exactly as it has been presented by the ministers. Ignored. Simply ignored. Your mere presence here shows us that we do in fact have a little purpose in pursuing the debates, other than to amuse the ministers who will laugh off whatever we have to say.

The consensus of many as Your Majesty imagined it is a joke. Falsified by so many factors that I can only repeat what I said before. There can be no consensus if one side knows that its opinion prevails no matter how much the other side resists. The appointed assemblymen all stand behind the decision of the Crown, and as there is none, behind the decision of the ministers. Certainly their decisions have not been detrimental to Hispania as a whole, but to its system, to its people, it is. We may have prospered, but we have lost much. The Operational Security Act just as the latest example of concentration of power in the hands of the Cabinet, the rejection of all reforms proposed by this Assembly on the other side. And as Your Majesty does trust Your ministers, there is no reason for a change, no reason to appoint someone else than who the departing minister sees as best successor. Power in the hands of the few, and if done cleverly enough, not even in Your own.

It is due to the guarantees and ideals of our great empire that I can express these thoughts freely, the very ideals the current system, and with the next step of the Amendment to the Elementary Educational Act, tries to bury. Bury beyond their own ideals, their consolidation of power against whatever the Assembly has to say. Because all we can do, no matter if there is a majority or not in our house, is to knock at the door of the Cabinet and Cortz. We knock once, they can completely ignore it. We knock louder, they can ignore it. We can knock the whole day with an entire army, they can ignore it. One of the many faults of the system, the creation of a dictature. A system that cannot create the consensus a wise ruler such as yourself wants.

But back to the purpose. We are here to advise. No, we do not want Your Majesty to dictate what we have to do. Your Cabinet already attempts that, and does it because the system is flawed. What we want is Your presence, to show us that we don't advise a wall. Or that the decision has already been made. That there is a chance for us to be heard against the Cabinet, a hope that it will change one day. This is where we have to expand the Assembly on, so that it can do what it has been created for.

As for Bavaria, their constitution, their ministers represent the interests of their people. Subjects to Your Majesty of course, but yet still a different country. It is the choice of this government if they wish to enter a war on Hispania's side. You may certainly influence this decision. But just as the French emperor couldn't enter our civil war while his Parliament was against it, so do the Bavarians. And therefore I am certain that the Bavarians will not accept any foreigner with no single tie to their own realm to negotiate for themselves, to barter off their lives without their approval, even if they stand to gain some land for it."

((Any land over there is fine enough. Just far away from Hispania.:p))

C9CCabeza.jpeg

Duque y Conte y Conte Ximon II L. T. Etxeto, c. 1750 in period dress

Name: Gran Duque Ximon Luys Tomas Etxeto de Etxeto, Duque de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo, Conte de Burgos
Date of Birth: 5 December 1732 - 3 August 1793 (61)
Class: Landed Noble (Navarre)
Religion: Catholic

- - - - - - - - - - -

Etxeto-arms.gif

Coat of Arms of the Etxeto
It is my sad duty to announce that my father, the late Grand Duke Etxeto, Duke of Navarre, Count of Vizcaya, Count of Burgos, and Count of Riojo, has past into the hands of the Lord. Aged four score and a year, he will be missed. However as he has past into the arms of the Lord, I, Ximon Luys Tomas Etxeto, do rightfully claim his place as Grand Duke Etxeto and all the other titles and responsibilities of said title as Grand Duque Ximon II Etxeto.

I also claim my family's place on the Cortz.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Perhaps the reason that the appointed Ministers and the Cabinet have a tendency to agree with another is because they were appointed by merit rather than inheritance or popularity. Having such popularity does not necessarily mean that one is capable of making the correct decision when the time comes.

You speak of not approving of war. Do you know how the Roman Empire established Pax Romama? It wasn't because they just stopped? It was because there was no other country left to fight. Carthage and Rome's other rivals were vanquished and conquered. So when I say Austria delenda est, I am proposing a solution to war. France understands this, that while Austria exists they will always be a threat to them. And so they go to war with the intention of further weakening them.

((Whoops, forgot the minister's plan. :p

Expand the transport fleets to as much as is needed to accomodate the largest army, but I make no changes to the attack fleet until circumstances call for it.
Trade fleets can be expanded at the behest of the Grandmaster.))

Perhaps the reason that the appointed Ministers and the Cabinet have a tendency to agree with another is because they were appointed by merit rather than inheritance or popularity. Having such popularity does not necessarily mean that one is capable of making the correct decision when the time comes.

You speak of not approving of war. Do you know how the Roman Empire established Pax Romama? It wasn't because they just stopped? It was because there was no other country left to fight. Carthage and Rome's other rivals were vanquished and conquered. So when I say Austria delenda est, I am proposing a solution to war. France understands this, that while Austria exists they will always be a threat to them. And so they go to war with the intention of further weakening them.

Merit rather than inheritance or popularity? Let me laugh. I am not saying most of the ministers are incapable, with some exceptions of course. Popularity with the Imperials is the deciding factor here. No matter if A is better than B if B sided with you during the civil war - or afterwards. Why make a difference? Another pawn, perfect. Of course, depending on the goodwill of some few is hardly going to influence their decisions. Heaven forbid if they make one against your interests, but for the people!

And the war? Would you just want to preoccupy the minds of the people with the well-being of the soldiers? The outer conflict so that they don't begin an inner one? I am not opposing the call to arms in itself; how it is done, I do. And Rome truly is a perfect example! For decadence, inner chaos, the rule of the few instead of the many, up to its ultimate collapse! Reborn to make the same mistakes? France doesn't attack Austria because it is a threat - for power. And it is the same reason why you want us to join. Your power! To extend the reign of our renewed Rome. Lasted centuries last time. How long this time? Do we want to walk the same path to destruction?

"Your Majesty, if you would allow it, I will speak as freely as this Parliament is used to hear from me. With all due respect to Your person as a loyal subject. I will explain why we need Your presence and opinion.

The Assembly, as it has been created, should serve the purpose of an advisory body for the Crown. A promise completely broken and not followed in any way, as we are simply ignored. We are - certainly not all present here -", Faixòn glances towards the Imperials, "intelligent enough to debate matters, and we certainly do. But so far, we had not a single confirmation that it is of any use. No matter how the debate ends up, in the end the decision will be made exactly as it has been presented by the ministers. Ignored. Simply ignored. Your mere presence here shows us that we do in fact have a little purpose in pursuing the debates, other than to amuse the ministers who will laugh off whatever we have to say.

The consensus of many as Your Majesty imagined it is a joke. Falsified by so many factors that I can only repeat what I said before. There can be no consensus if one side knows that its opinion prevails no matter how much the other side resists. The appointed assemblymen all stand behind the decision of the Crown, and as there is none, behind the decision of the ministers. Certainly their decisions have not been detrimental to Hispania as a whole, but to its system, to its people, it is. We may have prospered, but we have lost much. The Operational Security Act just as the latest example of concentration of power in the hands of the Cabinet, the rejection of all reforms proposed by this Assembly on the other side. And as Your Majesty does trust Your ministers, there is no reason for a change, no reason to appoint someone else than who the departing minister sees as best successor. Power in the hands of the few, and if done cleverly enough, not even in Your own.

It is due to the guarantees and ideals of our great empire that I can express these thoughts freely, the very ideals the current system, and with the next step of the Amendment to the Elementary Educational Act, tries to bury. Bury beyond their own ideals, their consolidation of power against whatever the Assembly has to say. Because all we can do, no matter if there is a majority or not in our house, is to knock at the door of the Cabinet and Cortz. We knock once, they can completely ignore it. We knock louder, they can ignore it. We can knock the whole day with an entire army, they can ignore it. One of the many faults of the system, the creation of a dictature. A system that cannot create the consensus a wise ruler such as yourself wants.

But back to the purpose. We are here to advise. No, we do not want Your Majesty to dictate what we have to do. Your Cabinet already attempts that, and does it because the system is flawed. What we want is Your presence, to show us that we don't advise a wall. Or that the decision has already been made. That there is a chance for us to be heard against the Cabinet, a hope that it will change one day. This is where we have to expand the Assembly on, so that it can do what it has been created for.

As for Bavaria, their constitution, their ministers represent the interests of their people. Subjects to Your Majesty of course, but yet still a different country. It is the choice of this government if they wish to enter a war on Hispania's side. You may certainly influence this decision. But just as the French emperor couldn't enter our civil war while his Parliament was against it, so do the Bavarians. And therefore I am certain that the Bavarians will not accept any foreigner with no single tie to their own realm to negotiate for themselves, to barter off their lives without their approval, even if they stand to gain some land for it."

((Any land over there is fine enough. Just far away from Hispania.:p))

JpsioAG.png

Perhaps you do have a point. While I do believe that the power to dictate policy should remain with the ministers on behalf of the Crown, seeing as to dilute it further would make management of the Empire a nightmare, it seems there are times that the ministers ignore the advice of the Parliament. Seeing as the Assembly at least was created with the sole purpose of advising the Crown and thus the ministers, it seems somewhat counterproductive that that advice is ignored at times. As for those issues brought before the Assembly, at least those can debated fairly and given assent based on majority support. In the end, it all comes down to the Cabinet. While I believe it best for it to continue determining policy as is, I also wish to see it take into account the desire of the Cortz and Assembly, as well as the people both bodies represent. The best way of ensuring that is adjusting the Cabinet to better represent the interests of Parliament. It has come to my attention that the Cabinet lacks a fair representation of elected members of the Assembly. Other than the Speaker, the other Assembly members on the Cabinet are all appointed. The previous Minister of the Interior has unfortunately passed away and his thoughtful insight will be missed. Perhaps you would be willing to fill the position. Your appointment would ensure a segment of the elected members have representation on the Cabinet and you may help influence policy as a result. I have always been committed to ensuring all participate in this government and this will be a step further towards that.

JpsioAG.png

Perhaps you do have a point. While I do believe that the power to dictate policy should remain with the ministers on behalf of the Crown, seeing as to dilute it further would make management of the Empire a nightmare, it seems there are times that the ministers ignore the advice of the Parliament. Seeing as the Assembly at least was created with the sole purpose of advising the Crown and thus the ministers, it seems somewhat counterproductive that that advice is ignored at times. As for those issues brought before the Assembly, at least those can debated fairly and given assent based on majority support. In the end, it all comes down to the Cabinet. While I believe it best for it to continue determining policy as is, I also wish to see it take into account the desire of the Cortz and Assembly, as well as the people both bodies represent. The best way of ensuring that is adjusting the Cabinet to better represent the interests of Parliament. It has come to my attention that the Cabinet lacks a fair representation of elected members of the Assembly. Other than the Speaker, the other Assembly members on the Cabinet are all appointed. The previous Minister of the Interior has unfortunately passed away and his thoughtful insight will be missed. Perhaps you would be willing to fill the position. Your appointment would ensure a segment of the elected members have representation on the Cabinet and you may help influence policy as a result. I have always been committed to ensuring all participate in this government and this will be a step further towards that.

If you were to ask farmers in Cremona what they want, lower taxes will likely be among their demands. Should the elected members from Cremona be doing their duties, they will be demanding lower taxes in the Assembly as well. But taxes are used to pay for the Army. Without taxes, there is no Army. With Army, Austria invades and now the people of Cremona are now under Austrian occupation, and are likely to have their property seized from them. All this because the people of Cremona felt that they should get their taxes lowered.

It is clear that the people of Hispania have opinions of governance that are destructive to both themselves and the Empire. Therefore, it only follows that at times the advice of Parliament needs to be ignored for the benefit of the Empire and its people. It may seem counterproductive to ignore a body created to give advice, but at the same time our prospective Minister of the Interior simply forgets that the Assembly may give bad advice that will need to be ignored.

If you were to ask farmers in Cremona what they want, lower taxes will likely be among their demands. Should the elected members from Cremona be doing their duties, they will be demanding lower taxes in the Assembly as well. But taxes are used to pay for the Army. Without taxes, there is no Army. With Army, Austria invades and now the people of Cremona are now under Austrian occupation, and are likely to have their property seized from them. All this because the people of Cremona felt that they should get their taxes lowered.

It is clear that the people of Hispania have opinions of governance that are destructive to both themselves and the Empire. Therefore, it only follows that at times the advice of Parliament needs to be ignored for the benefit of the Empire and its people. It may seem counterproductive to ignore a body created to give advice, but at the same time our prospective Minister of the Interior simply forgets that the Assembly may give bad advice that will need to be ignored.

"That frame of thought is only possible through a naivete which is completely unbecoming of a member of His Majesty's Cabinet. Austria has no tangible capacity to wage a successful force against our empire, and if the record of the Empress Dowager's entire career in Hispanian politics is worth consideration, perhaps the truth shall be made evident... That is, that the only reason why the Empress Dowager would desire a 'strong military' is so that she could embark upon a new set of foreign conquests, wasting the lives of the countless Cremonans who are now taxed, violated, cajoled, and drafted - all of which serve not to aid in their safety within our borders, but rather to sacrifice their well-being for the 'good' of a Hispanian elite which has continually rejected the notion of even so much as listening to its citizenry.

"Furthermore, I believe we can all gather from the Empress Dowager's insistence upon refusing the perspectives of the people who are most impacted by the exorbitant taxes that she believes necessary to the furtherance of her warmonger-state that she would sooner render all control over this nation's affairs to a Valencian elite! Yes, what a 'beautiful' world she believes in! My, I am glad that His Majesty made the decision to
eject her from the Prime Ministry based upon her lack of a capacity for well-reasoned judgment and genuine care for those outside of her close circle of elitist sycophants!

"With this in mind, I motion that the Empress Dowager be delivered a non-binding reprimand by the Assembly."

Juan de Salcedo,
Barón del Balcón de las Marcas,
MA for the Southern Marches

The Speaker of the Assembly Francesco Torres would like to remind the Baron that Los Campos and their Phoenix allies are not the only factions in the Assembly. In fact, he would like to remind the Assembly that the choice of whether to recommend a reprimand is in fact the choice of the Speaker, and he does not support such an action.

Also, he would like to remind Los Campos and their allies the Phoenix that they do not speak for all the Assembly or the people who elected them and demand that they stop acting like they do.

Alejandro de Leon, reserved in his old age, finally lost his temper at this latest round of insults.

"That's enough!" shouted Alejandro. "We will not continue tolerating attacks on fellow members of the Parliament! This Parliament was made for cooperation, not petty bickering! Your seat in Parliament is a privilege, not a right, and can be revoked at any time by the people or the Emperor! I suggest you use your privileges towards actually debating the merits of pieces of legislation, not launching personal attacks against others!"