• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((It was so hard not telling anyone about it. The whole point was that you were supposed to suspect Bartomeu and not Andreu. I was waiting until Andreu's death for the big reveal, but the guy lived until 1761, over 40 years after the assassination attempt. That's a long time to remember to make a post, hence why it was late. :p

I suppose I could do another event like that, but they require a lot of time and effort. I remember spending a few hours every day just writing up replies to all the investigations that were going on. I'm not sure I have the time for that again. I suppose if I get the idea for one, we could. Not sure what we could do though.))
((Close allies/subjects such as the French or Byzantines suspected of some major offense, perhaps attempted regicide? Or the Germans? Or Bavaria? Really, any foreign government. ;) ))

The Phoenix War: Before, During, and After: 1710-1760
Over the following years, the desire for autonomy slowly increased throughout the colonies, and an important figure is born, that being His Majesty, Emperor, then known as Crown Prince, Alfons IX. The period of 1745-1752 was in many ways the end of an era. Deism was recognized as under the protection of the CJC, and the British lost their colonial land to the new nations of Canada and the United Kingdom of America. The Suez Canal was completed, a marvel of engineering. Then, on 9 December 1752, His Majesty Emperor Jaume IV died. The throne passed to His Majesty young Alfons IX, for whom the Regent Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre took charge, but, after a famously short ten minutes, he had been assassinated. The events of this assassination, of which not much are known, are not, however, important to the overall story.

In such a tumultuous time a great storm rose. The colonies, perhaps sensing weakness, sought to wrest control from their fatherland, and the children-states of Hispania sent a demand for greatly increased autonomy. It was in this time the Usurper put into action his villainous scheme for the destruction Empire and Emperor. Meanwhile, Pausanias rose up in arms against the Basileus. Within a short period of time, enough had joined the Usurper to give him power.

Before entering a detailed timeline of the Phoenix War, a note is to be made. The Archibishopric of Grenada, having procured the diary of Fausto Villanova, shall use his writings as a viewpoint into the situation of the Phoneix forces, of whom practically none have survived to tell the tale. Such as it is with traitors, for traitors the Phoenixes were.

From Naples, Crown Prince Francesc rallied forces to the Imperial cause... ((And it's officially 20 minutes into tomorrow. Just assume this is all out before the update, though if this is considered powerful enough to change seats, that could be done next next update.))

Reactions:
((Close allies/subjects such as the French or Byzantines suspected of some major offense, perhaps attempted regicide? Or the Germans? Or Bavaria? Really, any foreign government. ;) ))

((Ah, a foreign plot instead of a domestic one. Might be a bit trickier to pull off since none of the foreign characters will have been established and investigating over multiple countries is a bit trickier than just Iberia.))

(( Well that was very unexpected o_O What an amazing plot-twist! And it was played out perfectly!

And those are some wonderful ICs hirahammad! I can't wait to read the rest of them!
Also, feel free to use Gilbert any way you want. Journal entries, interview, whatever floats your boat :p ))

(( I am surprised that you haven't tried to interview the Empress Dowager about her experiences. She was Regent during the war and participated in one of the more memorable moments, by carrying her son over her shoulder while fleeing from safety.))

(( I am surprised that you haven't tried to interview the Empress Dowager about her experiences. She was Regent during the war and participated in one of the more memorable moments, by carrying her son over her shoulder while fleeing from safety.))

((There's no mention of Arceo, either, and he spent the war running a successful guerrilla campaign in Galicia that resulted in a weakened Phoenix presence in Western Iberia (Not to mention that he came up with the successful serfdom-to-service plan...)))

Reactions:
(( Well Gilbert gave, arguably, the most important speeches of the war, so I would say he was a very important figure.
And let's not forget that Montesegur tried to get him on his side, giving Gilbert some time to prepare and warn others.

But I'm not saying that the Empress wasn't an important figure and that what she did didn't contribute to victory.

Just like Arceo who also was a a very important figure in the Imperial side.

After all it was a collective effort and everyone played an important role. ))

((To @Mach Twelve , and @05060403 , consider yourself being interviewed by the Pope. :cool: Talk about your experiences in the war. And @Firehound15 , Cibran as well. However, as you're a pesky :mad: Phoenix-in-disguise, you're being interviewed by the lackey, Justinian Lagos. :p And of course, in honor of the new p̶r̶o̶p̶a̶g̶a̶n̶d̶a̶ information, the next chapter will be delayed. :) If there is anyone else who wants to give their experiences, just start talking. ;)))

((Private - @hirahammad))

Where to begin?

Truly it begins in Athens, really, in 1725 when I was at the venerable age of six.

My Grandfather, then recently retired Captain General Phileratos Mandromenos, the Scourge of Mecca returned to the city after getting snubbed for the position of Marshal by Prime Minister Saint Pierre in favor of the then young and very inexperienced Montsegur. How things might have been different if the Prime Minister simply chosen the more experienced candidate...

But that in not the point. After returning, my grandfather retreated into the palace leaving his responsibilities of the Duke, but not the title, my uncle Petros, his oldest son. Things were calm for a time, but then things began to happen. Trade began to be restricted and the city was increasingly isolated from the rest of the world. As the lines of communication were severed, strange people began to surround Petros, calling him the Speaker. I know not whom he was Speaking for, but I suspected it wasn't for my grandfather.

As Petros's power grew and the rest of the family began to fear him, they began to oppose him. But one by one my family would suddenly disappear but would return, changed claiming to have seen the light and having been Redeemed. Rumors began as children began to disappear. My father feared that I would eventually be targeted, and had me smuggled away on what was the last boat to leave Athens's harbor until 1755. That was the last time I saw him and my mother, my siblings, or any of my family outside of Byzantium...

I arrived in Valencia in 1727, having newly turned eight, an orphan in all but fact. Well that is a lie, for I gained residence with an ally of my family, but while they cared for my well-being, they did not care for me. No one did at that time, I was just a girl from a powerful family, a tool to advance their agenda and not a person. That would not change until 1735.

That was when I first saw him. Handsome, Charming, Welcoming, Intelligent, Friendly. Of course I speak of the oldest son of Emperor Jaume, then Crown Prince Ferran. I.....I was just taken away by him. He was the most amazing person that I ever met at that point. But even more amazing was the fact that he saw me. Not as the great-great-great-granddaughter of the Iron Chancellor. Not as a tool for his gain. He saw ME. And accepted me. And loved me. It truly was the greatest kindness that anyone showed me when Emperor Jaume allowed me to marry him, though I suspect that Ferran may have threatened to abdicate his place as heir if he didn't.

And then for sixteen years I was happy. Safe. Loved. My husband was the best man in the world and I was lucky enough to give him the family that he deserved. I still remember the long nights in winter, Ferran answering his son's questions as I looked on. Well that is not entirely true. I knew trouble was brewing. I felt at first that Prime Minister Saint Pierre was the primary threat, but one more quickly proved to be greater. He needs no introduction. I did what I could, where I could, but the then Deputy Prime Minister was able to ensure that I was completely and totally isolated from anything of importance.

Then it happened. My Ferran got ill, and did not get better. And I felt my heart break. Then something worse happened. His father, Emperor Jaume died. And the two men whose motives I feared the most where the Regent and the obvious assistant. Inside, I knew something would happen, and I was preparing myself. I felt that it would be like Athens, slow and drawn out. I did not truly expect what happened next.

Montsegur let an Army into Valencia, to ensure that my son would be made a puppet to him. A coup. I knew that it couldn't be allowed, not without trying to contest it at least. I got a servant to slyly have my daughter removed from the palace and taken to the docks. And I went to get my son. What happened next is a story that poets and painters have attempted to capture in art for decades now, my flight from the Palace with Alfons on my back. What many don't know was that I didn't have to carry him far, as he quickly saw sense in fleeing. But I did have to kill. A stupid Captain that spoke too much and thought too little. He didn't suspect my knife until it was in his throat.

We got on the boat to Napoli, where my brother-in-law greeted us. He had started to organize a resistance force to the Phoenix, and I was able to give him an important piece to help unite the opponents of Montsegur, the Emperor Alfons. Others flocked to our banner and soon we had a proper force to fight with. Generals, Administrators, Clergy, Royalty, and Allies. We all came together and planned out how we would defeat this menace.

One of the more important choices we made was securing the support of the Navy, and using it to divide the numerically superior Phoenix forces into manageable chunks. Our first operation was the Iberian campaign, which ultimately culminated with the battle of Granada. The Lord was truly with us an we managed to get the entire army in Iberia to surrender. Also, a last ditch effort of the Phoenix ended in failure as General Saint Pierre wiped out a Phoenix Army headed to the Suez Canal, ending the threat for good.

With the Phoenix broken, we returned. In 1755 the Regency ended and I was made Prime Minister with the task of rebuilding the torn Empire. The next twenty years were dedicated to such a task. But now we stand triumphant, above what we were even right before the war. Our Armies are greater as is the Navy. The merchants bring in more wealth year after year and our people are more prosperous! Our influence extends throughout the globe and none can question our might!

We may have suffered in the 1750's, but it has only strengthened us. As long as men stand as fast and true to Hispania as they did in the Phoenix War, the Empire will never fall.

Reactions:
((To @Mach Twelve , and @05060403 , consider yourself being interviewed by the Pope. :cool: Talk about your experiences in the war. And @Firehound15 , Cibran as well. However, as you're a pesky :mad: Phoenix-in-disguise, you're being interviewed by the lackey, Justinian Lagos. :p And of course, in honor of the new p̶r̶o̶p̶a̶g̶a̶n̶d̶a̶ information, the next chapter will be delayed. :) If there is anyone else who wants to give their experiences, just start talking. ;)))

((Looks like you're going to be writing an official history at this rate. The greatest historical work based on a fictional event in history. :p))

((I think I've delayed the end of the vote for long enough. Here are the results, and for the first time the number of seats voting for each option, at least for those using the new voting system.

Speaker (Assembly Only): 159 for Francesco Torres ((Imperial NPC)), 19 for Emiliano Faixòn ((alscon)), and 122 Abstains in the Assembly
Operational Security Act: 281 for Yes and 19 for No in the Assembly; 78 for Yes and 12 for No in the Cortz
Buy Scotland's Colonies?: 281 for Yes and 19 for No in the Assembly; 90 for Yes in the Cortz

Mission: Sikumiut
Idea Group: Trade

Now that that was dealt with, on to the update!))

((@hirahammad can I be interviewd by the Pope too? I'm writing an IC for your history right now.))

(( Private with @hirahammad ))

"What a pleasant surprise, Your Holiness! I will gladly tell you what I know, especially if it's for such a noble cause!

I guess my story begins shortly after the assassination of my father. De Montségur, the Usurper that is, called all the generals serving Hispania at the time to meet him, just few weeks before the war began. He was rambling about almost unavoidable chaos, and said that the only way to stop it from spreading was for the army to take over. He was talking about removing the root of instability, constitutional reforms and concessions to be made. Yes, I remember that as if it happened yesterday. He said that the title of Caesar wasn't God-given, but claimed with an iron first of the army. It may be true, but much has changed since the times of the ancient... So much indeed.

I couldn't bear to betray my country like that, I decided to run away, hide. Surprisingly no one tried to stop me, not a single soul. I quickly informed my brother of Montségur's plans, hoping he would inform the Emperor and everyone else. In the meantime I dressed as a sailor, hid my things on a ship and fled. I had no idea where I would end up...

Luckily it was the ship sent out to investigate the murder of the ten minute regent, so it wasn't stopped, unlike all other vessels.

I got off in Alexandria, and I rushed to Exercit Jerusalem, the closest army I could think of to try and get back to Valencia, hopefully in time to stop the coup. However I couldn't risk too much and I decided to march onto Tunis where I would embark and travel to our capital. I had no idea that it was bought with TATC's funds, which betrayed our family, betrayed our country. I do not know what was the reason for their decision. Was it greed? Or maybe fear?

I wrote a call to arms to all Hispanians, you may have read it... But I don't think it had the desired effect. However I had no time to worry about that, as the conflict was already brewing and I had other things on my mind. I had to win the hearts and minds of people living in the Levant on our side. But I also had to win other armies over. That's when I gave another speech, I think I have it wrote down in my journal... By all means, please keep it! I do not require it any longer, as I feel I don't have much of life left in front of me.

Thus I began my journey to Tunis... However during the long march I got contacted by other loyalist and a a cunning plan was born. My forces were ferried to Hispania where we focused all our forces. It turned out to be a genius move and in few months the homeland was fully under our control once again. We chased every single Phoenix out of Iberia... If I recall correctly the last stand was made by General Villanova at Grenada... It was a bloodbath, however we won and celebrated the liberation of the heart of the Empire.

However the Usurper was nowhere to be found... And so the war continued. But at this point my memory is getting a bit hazy and I can't recall much. However I'm sure I wrote everything down in this book..."

(( That should be it from Gilbert, however if I missed anything feel free to look through all my ICs and mentions about him in the updates.
I know I didn't mention one, maybe even two speeches he gave, but I honestly can't remember when exactly to place them. ))

Reactions:
They were all lacking the courage to do anything. Spineless minions. If the world was made only of these people, then tyrants would still reign in Greece and Rome to the present day. Tyrants like the Dowager Empress. Faixón and his faction would not be stopped. He would continue, move forward like he already does since he entered the political stage, repeating his Parliamentary speeches in public, his well-known demands and grievances. Nothing can stop the righteous from raising their voices against the evil that holds this world. He remembered the lessons he had learned from the Duke in Pirineo. There would be a modern Brutus to overthrow the modern Tarquinius Superbus. For Superbus they were. And pride comes before a fall...

((public speech))
"The perfect timing. For propaganda of the greatest scale. The propaganda they accuse their enemies of. Blind of their own actions, blinded by their never-ending lust for power. And now, the Assembly has been silenced for good in the affairs that really matter. For what is confidential? A declaration of war? Likely. Any measures to slowly return serfdom, or at least something similar? Surely. Whatever can be done to take what little power the Assembly has? Certainly! And now, we don't even need to tell them! Isn't that great?
Promises aren't made to be broken! Yet for our government, promises are just as much of a guideline as for Austrians! As for the thief who 'will never return', but right now has his hand in your pocket! What has been said in the aftermath of the civil war? And what has been done? Former serfs may now be 'free'. And the Assembly has been created. But that's it. Other than that, the victors now seize more and more power for themselves. And they justify their actions with what? With this!"
He raised two books.
"The civil war. Phoenix war. However you want to call it. The victors treat us all like we, the people of Hispania, are the defeated. No matter if you supported the revolt. If you stayed out of it. Not even if you were loyal, you are a defeated. And you are all treated as such. Cleverly enough to not to make it open oppression visible even for the blind, but we are oppressed. Any free man can raise his voice, but nobody will listen. If we are all sent to die in some corner of this earth, or if we need a special tax to finance some fancy new building, no matter if thousands will starve - it will be done. It is decided by few. And no, it is not our good monarch. I am fairly sure he doesn't know most of what happens in Parliament. On the streets. I told a disgusting truth when I said he is a puppet. So much of a puppet that he never heard I said that. They aren't giving him the chance to react. For any Emperor worth bearing that title, and Alfons IX certainly is, cannot stand by idly when he is accused of being a puppet! Only if the puppetmasters aren't letting him!"
He lowered one of the books, shaking the other.
"This is the 'truth' they want you to hear. ((I'm just assuming it's been finished by now ;).)) How they heroically brought down the Phoenix with their own hands. Slaughtered everyone unjustly standing in their way. Seeing as they defended the one and only just cause back then, now they are still the only ones doing it too. Yet as with everything else, there are two sides to consider. There is another 'truth', if any of the two works deserves that title. From Germany, the very same man who has been nobody else but the antichrist for Hispania's elite. I won't bother you with any of these 'reports'. Yet you only see the full picture if you look at it in its entirety. And then it makes sense. Two, or more, sides. And they have cut off the Assembly, the one that can provide insight on the other side for the government. Only with the two sides can you make the right decision, and Alfons - if he still makes the final decision, that is - now only hears one option!"
He dropped the books, making a wide gesture towards the audience.
"Just look around and see how many men survived the war. You all know some who have fought. In my village, two men left. One for the Phoenix, the other for the Crown. Both returned. When defeat was inevitable, they told me, they surrendered. The slaughter of Granada, of Damietta - at the beginning, surely. But not too long. How little casualties for a conflict of this dimension. No fight until the bitter end. Then you know you cannot believe the government's book, the book of a Pope who is nothing but an Hispanian puppy, a shame for every single one of his predecessors and the entire Catholic world, a hypocrite as there are few others. Despite the fact that in his opinion Hispania has been severely depopulated, he still advocates for war. No matter how mny lives will be lost on both sides, no matter if the enemy is another Catholic nation. Aren't we all created equal? And then the other side. With the prediction that the government as it was was destined to fail - where are we now? With the base that only the army can restore a lost order. With the army itself standing divided. 'A great idea'. If you look at both extremes, you find out what really happened.
This is the past. Heroes of the past can quickly become enemies. If you can, imagine ancient Rome. If you cannot, imagine Montségur. We are being played. Controlled. Fooled. Lied to. In the best case. Most of the time, we are ignored. We should be ignored as much as His Imperial Highness controlled! Not at all! The truth is not what we are told it is; the truth is what we see, and if we open our eyes, we see no heroic leadership; we see tyrannical despots strangling the life force out of Hispania to strengthen themselves!"

((Private - @hirahammad ))

"I fear I do not have much time left in this world," said Alejandro, "So I must get as much of my story heard as possible.

It all began when my grandfather, the decorated soldier and Marshal Marti de Leon, passed away, making me the head of the House de Leon. I came of age during the days of Bartomeu's regime. I fought long and hard to save the empire from corruption during those times. The Reconquista can trace its beginnings to the time of Bartomeu.

After Bartomeu's fall from grace, there was that chain of events which led to the Phoenix War. By then I had become a decorated military leader commanding the respect and loyalty of not just my soldiers but also my countrymen. I quickly declared my loyalty to the Crown.

My first engagement in the war was the Exercit Madrid incident. I marched into the city, rescuing the nobles there and securing the friendship of France. I managed to save half of the Exercit, but the Phoenixes got the other half. A victory for the Imperials, but not a victory for me. I remember muttering some apologies when I had to face those same men on the battlefield some time later.

We then went down to Granada. I still remember shouting at the top of my lungs the orders to charge the enemy lines. The looks on the faces of the enemy soldiers, my former countrymen...I will never forget that. I told myself that they were traitors because they had betrayed the empire, but they were still Hispanians. I could not get over that.

You know what happened at Granada. I thought I had cornered Montsegur there and expected my men to bring him before me. I hated him so much, so irrationally, that I wanted to force him to his knees right there and shoot him in the head myself. But he escaped. And I gave chase with my armies.

At Damietta I caught up with him. My Reconquista agents sowed dissent within his ranks, and I brought my cannons to bear against his army. The screams of the Phoenixes as they were blown to kingdom come by the cannons, the screams of the dying and the wounded...those were sounds that no man should hear. While some of them made the decision to betray the empire, I believe some were forced to fight for Montsegur against their will. And there I was, murdering them along with the real traitors...may God have mercy on their souls. You have to understand that I do not want another war like the Phoenix War to happen again.

Montsegur managed to escape again, but this time I let him escape. I wanted him to live out the rest of his life in exile so he could reflect on his life and his wrongdoings. But he had to go and become the Chancellor of Germany. However much I despise him, I have to give him credit for being very devoted to his work and to his ideals.

I urge you to publish what I have said as quickly as possible. Distribute it to as many people as possible. I want Hispanians to learn from their mistakes, to work together again like they did before the war. My actions in the Assembly were necessary to stop those who wish to revive the Phoenix movement. I have Hispania's best interests in my heart and wish to work with the opposition, if they would just stop insulting my allies. We must never allow another Phoenix War to break out!"

((That's all I have right now, I may add a supplementary IC some other time.))

Reactions:
((lel, what a great irony of my cripple's family, the most significant family in Hispania, aside from the crown, is now hidden in the backwaters- then again, @hirahammad you would have access to my family history up to Juan II anyhow, given the papacy prob would gather records on the families of it's pontiffs :) ))

((Thanks for all the great material. :) Indeed, this may take a lot longer than I expected ;). If I spent as much time on my edumacation, I'd have already graduated. :D

As this may span all week, just assume it was published 1780. :cool: ))

Reactions:
1778-1783 – Misery for Malwa

The start of 1778 saw lengthy negotiations over Scotland’s colonies. Scotland was willing to part with the land as long as it received a fair price. A joint committee determined that the Scottish colonies would cost a total of 20k ducats, a sum that Hispania possessed roughly only a seventh of. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sophia de Trastámara, looked to the colonies for support. Seeing as they would be the greatest beneficiaries of the agreement, it seemed logical that they should contribute. After a meeting of the Colonial Congress, all the Hispanian colonial nations agreed to contribute, with them all meeting half of the sum, as long as tariffs were lowered for a decade. Sanchonia, Nueva Granada, and Nova Hispania paid the most as the ones directly receiving the land. Scotland received the Hispanian portion up front and the colonies agreed to pay their part over time. The agreement was thus struck and the colonies changed hands. The treasury had to take out four loans of roughly 2k ducats each to meet the price, but Minister of Finance Martí de Alvaro ensured that they did not raise inflation any higher.

In other matters, the Parliament in general started to favour bolstering Hispania’s growing trade empire. Trade was the lifeblood of the Empire, with most of its wealth drawing from it. Perhaps this is why a war with Malwa was in the works. India was a land rich in resources and trade goods, with control of the subcontinent being nothing but a boon for Hispania if they could cut out a larger piece. Armies started sailing for India in preparation for the proposed conflict.

Scotland did not take long to start establishing new colonies elsewhere. With Brazil now closed off, they settled farther south in La Plata. Some were quite irate that the Scots would so boldly settle near another Hispanian colony, although there was another nation there already anyway. Scottish settlers were also seen somewhere in Indonesia.

A female troubadour made an appearance at court, scandalizing some of the more conservative members with her risqué performance. The Emperor seemed quite delighted by it and had taken a liking to various art forms over the years.

The nations of East Africa and the Middle East went at each other again, with Yemen declaring war on Alodia.

The colony in Sikumiut reached a state of self-sufficiency, just as the French and Scandinavians set up their own colonial nations on the West Coast, with the establishment of French Columbia and Oregon. The Crown instead focused on Indonesia, a region where colonization had not reached a rapid pace and there was still land to claim.

By September, the first of the four loans was paid off, relieving some of the financial strain on the treasury.

Colonist Joaquin Villanova set off on his own to set up a colony in Taiwan.

At the start of 1779, Emperor Alfons IX shared the joyous news that the Empress had given birth to a baby boy, who the Emperor named Joan.

Once enough armies had arrived in India, with armies from Africa and China sent over and the Exercit Athens on the way, the proposed war was declared. Malwa had Delhi and Bengal backing it up, but both were distracted by other wars, the former against Ming and the latter against Taungu.

The first victory was at sea with one of Malwa’s trade fleets sent to the bottom of the Indian Ocean, followed by another farther east.

Kaffa added to the raging conflict in East Africa by attacking Yemen.

Malwa did not take long to act. An army of 50k was spotted marching south, but it remained beyond the border as one of 23k went after the fort in Vijayanagar. Generals Leon and Saint-Pierre attacked them outside the city walls, providing a clear example of the superiority of Hispanian soldiers and weapons. The entire enemy army capitulated mere days into the battle, with less than a thousand men lost for Hispania.

Hispanian merchants had dominated trade across the world for centuries, and it was truly starting to show off. The merchants were known for their shrewd negotiating and wise business deals.

Persia smacked Genoa around, pushing right up to Lithuania’s borders and dominating the Caucasus Mountains.

With the large army of over 50k looming on the border, they needed to be repelled before reinforcements arrived. 33k from Bengal were already spotted marching west. Leon led a charge against the enemy in Desh with the assistance of Saint-Pierre. The jungle terrain bogged them down and wrecked havoc on the army, but Malwa was no competition for Hispania. Their army fled north, conveniently right before Bengal could arrive. As Bengal attacked Leon’s army, thinking they would have Malwa at their side, they ended up facing the Hispanian force nearly alone and with inferior numbers. Soon they were encircled and forced to surrender.

In Austria, the ex-husband of the Emperor’s sister came to the throne, claiming the title of Holy Roman Emperor in the process despite the irrelevance of that title.

Bengal was just as bold at sea as on land. Their navy went after the trade fleet operating out of Ceylon, after leading Admiral Liu Binhan on a merry chase around the Indian Ocean. Perhaps sensing that they were almost caught, they fled to port rather than continue the battle. Of course, it could have been the fact that the trade fleet did more damage than their own navy.

In November, the first of the enemy forts had fallen in Rayalaseema, followed by Bidar and Kosta a month later. This was soon met with more unfortunate news as Manchu and Ming settled their differences, with Manchu coming out on top and their ally Delhi stronger too. Now Delhi would no longer be preoccupied. In celebration of their defeat of Ming, Manchu declared itself the Qing Dynasty, the true rulers of China, especially now that the city of Beijing was in their hands.

The assessment of Delhi proved to be correct. An army of 30k arrived soon after in Canton. With the army usually defending the area now in India, Delhi had free reign over the Chinese provinces.

As the year turned to 1780, the fort at Warangal fell and Hispania spread out its armies to lay siege to all the border provinces. Malwa returned with a vengeance though, 80k men gathered in a mish-mashed army that marched south and waited for an opportunity to strike. They circled around, trying to find an opening without attacking an army. When Admiral Liu sighted a Bengal army of 48k heading towards India, it seemed possible that Malwa was waiting for reinforcements.

It was Bengal that decided to make the first move. They launched an attack on the army in Konaseema, perhaps bolstered by the nearby presence of Malwa’s army. Leon was in the area though and marched to assist. This still left the Hispanians outnumbered 2:1. The other armies rushed east to reinforce, and their timely arrival played its part. The enemy force lost over 40k men and fled towards Bengal, with Hispania losing less than half that number. Pursuit was given to clean up the straggler armies lingering nearby, with the largest of 5k succumbing to Saint-Pierre’s force.

Some clergymen were claiming that Hispania’s trade practices were heretical. They shut up once it was suggested that the Churches could start providing funds to the Crown equal to what the merchants were bringing in.

Byzantium had always shown its willingness to fight alongside Hispania in its wars, and this war was no exception. The Byzantine fleet sailed all the way to Indonesia and hunted down Malwa’s fleet, catching it outside Ternete. There the Greeks showed an hereto unknown level of naval skill as they decimated the enemy navy. Not a single ship sailed away from the encounter.

In financial news, the second loan was paid off in May of 1780.

Lieutenant General Dias captured Marathwada, making his way north towards Malwa’s capital. He was nearing his goal, but it remained just out of sight. The rest of the army was securing land near the border and pushing towards Bengal.

Canton could not hold out alone against Delhi, giving in in August. Nothing was left to defend Hispania’s Chinese provinces.

By September, the forts in East Berar and Garjat had fallen, leaving most of central India in Hispanian hands. A Bengal army of 60k had made its way into the interior to liberate provinces, with another 60k from Malwa on the way. Bengal made its way farther south while Malwa held back. Delhi then showed up with its own force and made a foolish attack on Captain General Saint-Pierre’s army. Leon arrived with help, and Delhi found itself outmatched and surrounded. The entire enemy force capitulated after a week of fighting, another large force taken out of the war.

The colony in Llanos became self-sufficient, allowing resources to be shifted to the far reaches of North America.

Morocco had taken a page out of the handbook used by many other backwards nations and started stealing ideas from Hispania to become more westernized.

With Delhi pushed back and Malwa’s army unwilling to engage, that left an opening to take on the Bengal army that had been foolish enough to go behind enemy lines. Saint-Pierre launched the initial attack on the enemy army in Bidar, with Leon and the rest of the army arriving shortly after. Clearly outnumbered by superior men, Bengal had no choice but to retreat. Another Hispanian victory.

The colony in Santo Antonio de Mange became self-sustaining, and with Scotland gone there was no reason to continue focusing on the area. The Crown could focus its full attention on Indonesia.

The Hispanian army was not giving the enemy time to settle in and retake land, launching attack after attack any time an army got too close to occupied territory. Malwa had split their force, leaving some in Marathwada and a smaller force north in Khandesh. As before, Saint-Pierre engaged the enemy first and lured them into battle, leaving Leon time to move in and surround the enemy. The strategy worked brilliantly, the entire enemy army encircled and forced to surrender.

As the year turned to 1781, Delhi finished occupying the Chinese provinces, but the army stayed behind regardless.

There was still one last significant enemy army to eliminate. Leon and Saint-Pierre attacked it in Baglana, dealing it a major blow. Thousands of enemy soldiers threw down their weapons rather than fight any further.

Near the start of 1781, the heir to the Bavarian throne passed away, leaving Duke Ferdinand I without a son. Succession seemed likely to pass on through his daughter, Viktoria, who was married to Emperor Alfons’s cousin Carles, presenting the possibility of the throne passing into the hands of a Trastámara.

The Hispanian armies focused their attention on the various forts, while also taking out any straggler armies they could find. Malwa had decided that gathering one large army would spell certain doom and instead decided to send dozens of tiny regiments wandering the countryside to retake land captured by Hispania. It proved more effective in retaking land, although it only delayed the inevitable. It didn’t, however, stop Hispania from finally taking Malwa’s capital of Mandu.

Bengal lost its own distraction with Dai Viet annexing Taungu. An army of 60k soon marched over the border to work on retaking Garjat.

By the time the forts in Rewakantha and Surat fell, Malwa had gathered many small armies to pour into the war theatre. Dias attacked the largest gathering, eliminating that threat before it grew.

France turned its gaze overseas as it declared war on Miami.

Bengal managed to reclaim Garjat, but by then the Hispanian armies were moving east to eliminate the threat. Bengal made the foolish decision to attack a Hispanian army with reinforcements nearby. Saint-Pierre and Dias engaged shortly after the other armies drew Bengal in. Yet again, the enemy allowed themselves to be outnumbered and surrounded. The Bengal army had no choice but to surrender or be eliminated.

Losing so drastically at home, Malwa had no choice but to end their futile war with Ternate. They gave up a province to end that conflict to focus on the greater threat.

Delhi started sending troops down south, and as with all enemy forces they were engaged quickly and with superior numbers. Dias took charge of this assault, greatly weakening the enemy but unable to force a surrender.

A message arrived on the front in November that proved a surprise to all. Byzantium, instead of sailing its army to India, had opted to march through either Persia or Lithuania and attack Delhi from the west. They had already broken through into the interior and were nearing the border with Malwa. The Basileus himself had taken command of the army. The Greeks had yet again proven how far they’d go when fighting alongside Hispania.

Despite the many defeats they had been dealt, enemy armies kept attempting to break past the front lines and retake Malwa’s land. Dias led the latest in one of many attacks, targeting a force in Mandsaur. The joint Delhi-Bengal army stood no chance and capitulated rather than fight to the bitter end.

Garjat was retaken in December, but in better news the work Byzantium had done in the Delhi interior had worn out their willingness to fight. Delhi agreed to pay war reparations to get out of further punishment, leaving Malwa and Bengal alone to fight. With the treasury taking in extra funds, the third of the four loans was paid off.

Bengal accidentally ran into Dias’s army, and it’s safe to say they didn’t make it out of there alive. Another gathering of men for Malwa was engaged in Mahakoshal and eliminated.

Near the start of 1782, the Archduke of Austria passed away, leaving his infant son on the throne and as Holy Roman Emperor. The mother of the new Archduke took the opportunity to write a rather scathing letter to Princess Sophia de Trastámara, flaunting how she had stolen the woman’s husband and now had her son on the throne.

Another army had gathered in Mandla and was dispatched before it could wander into occupied lands.

The enemy was throwing away lives at an increasing rate just for a chance to break through the lines and make headway into Malwa, with countless victims falling before the Hispanian armies.

Hispanian armies had reached as far as Delhi’s border by capturing the fort at Chittor. Men marched west to securing the untouched regions of Malwa there, as others secured what was left on Northern Malwa before turning towards Bengal.

With a war being fought to secure valuable trade goods for Hispania, support for mercantilism grew. If Hispania controlled the flow of trade, from source to the customers, the Empire would prosper.

France settled a peace with Miami, taking a single province.

Despite their defeat all but determined, Malwa and Bengal continued to throw lives away in a futile attempt at resistance. Small armies threw themselves in the way of Hispania and were mowed down.

Yemen was unable to hold off Kaffa’s invasions and conduct their war against Alodia, losing land on the Red Sea in the process.

Gird was the next fort to fall, leaving just those on the western and eastern borders.

In September of 1782, the last of the four loans was paid off, only a few months before the payment was due. Hispania was officially out of debt. With money now available, Minister of Trade Joaquin Villanova ordered the construction of great frigates for every trade fleet.

A poor harvest in the colonies saw an influx of colonist migrated back to Europe.

Continuing the old age tradition, Emperor Alfons met with the governor of Nueva Sicilia and asked to pray with him, bringing the two closer together.

The merchant class was growing rapidly over the years. With trade so profitable, the merchants were doing well for themselves and becoming much more influential in Hispania.

Colonization could have a nasty impact on the local population. Illnesses considered common or treatable in Europe proved deadly for the natives in the New World. Hispania had followed a policy of cohabitation for centuries, believing that it was best to cooperate and live alongside the natives rather than drive them from the land. Due to this, the Crown felt responsible to care for them. Funds were set aside to provide treatment for those afflicted by these ailments.

The fort in Kathiawar fell in December of 1782, leaving little defending the western lands of Malwa. Enemy soldiers continued to fall in vast numbers, with Hispania’s toll being a mere fraction of what the enemy was experiencing.

February of 1783 brought an important turn of events. Duke Ferdinand I von Frankenstein of Bavaria passed away without an heir. While it was originally expected that succession would pass on through the Duke’s son and into the hands of the Trastámaras, the Poles had had other ideas. Also married into the Bavarian royal family, the Polish king had a claim to the throne. As the Duke had gotten sicker, the Polish king had demanded that the crown pass to him and that he would rule Bavaria directly. The alternative, he stated, was to become a pawn of Hispania’s under the rule of the Emperor’s cousin. The Duke, without telling anyone, took action of his own. When he finally passed away, it was revealed that he had not left his crown to the Polish king or even his son-in-law, Carles de Trastámara, but to Emperor Alfons himself. It was suspected that the Duke had believed Alfons was the only one powerful enough to ensure a succession crisis did not erupt and also protect Bavaria from invaders. Of course, this decision was not entirely accepted. A diplomat from Hispania had been spotted around the Duke shortly before his death, and some suspected the Empress Dowager had negotiated with the Duke to ensure the Bavarian throne went to her son and no one else. Even with dissent, no one was influential enough to dispute both the will of the late Duke and the Emperor of Hispania. Bavaria would take its orders from Valencia from now on. ((The tooltip kept saying that Poland was going to inherit Bavaria if the Duke died, but we ended up with this pleasant surprise instead. The Valois aren’t the only ones who can play the game of dynastic succession. :D))

Although Bengal’s land had been mostly untouched, they had lost thousands of men and it was starting to show. Rather than suffer any longer, they agreed to pay war reparations to bring an end to the conflict, leaving Malwa at the mercy of Hispania.

History repeated itself as yet another Basileus died in the jungles of India. Alexandros II succumbed to some dreadful illness while on campaign, leaving the throne to his son Ioannes.

Apparently the Genoa trade fleet had been neglected for years and some much needed repairs were conducted. ((I must have missed upgrading them the last time we got new ships. My bad. :D))

When Jaunpur fell in June, leaving just a single fort left, Malwa finally caved. Combined, Malwa, Bengal, and Delhi had lost roughly 570k men, with many surrendering during the course of the war. Hispania saw closer to 100k casualties, a far lower number than the enemy. Peace was eventually signed, with Malwa surrendering much of its lands to Hispania. The coastline all the way up to Surat on the west coast and Konaseema on the east was taken, while the border north was moved up to the line of forts Malwa possessed, providing Hispania with better defenses for its new territory.

Hispania was at peace once more and the armies headed to the coast to sail home. Rebels had popped up in Malwa right before peace was signed and now Hispania how to push some from the newly acquired lands. Before Hispania could get back on track, two events threatened that return to peace.

First, a call-to-arms arrived from France. The French had decided it was time to take on Austria again, declaring a second war on them. Germany and Scandinavia had already answered France’s call, while Scotland, Lithuania, and Silesia had come to Austria’s defence. Hispania would have to decide yet again whether they would help their ally against Austria and let them call the shots.

Word then arrived from Arabia. The Emperor had sent a message to the governments of Persia and Yemen, the two dominant Arabian powers, requesting that they assist in tracking down men who had attacked Hispanian convoys. These requests fell on deaf ears, for tensions that had been building for decades finally erupted. Long had the people of Arabia suffered due to the influx of opium brought in by TATC. The population was addicted in growing numbers and efforts to curb the trade proved mostly unsuccessful. Despite this, Hispania seemed content to keep selling this addictive product to the people of Arabia with impunity. The governments of Persia and Yemen had had enough. Hispanian merchants were suddenly ejected from Arabia and their opium stocks confiscated and burned. Hispanians were no longer welcome in the region. If Hispania wanted to continue selling such a dangerous and addictive substance to the people of Arabia, they’d have to do it by force.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, and Protector of the Greeks.

The war in India has proven to be a major success. Despite the vast armies arrayed against us, we won every battle and inflicted staggering losses on our enemies. That war shall forever serve as an example of Hispanian might and how far we have outdistanced the backwards nations of Asia.

Now we see two conflicts rising on the horizon. The French asked for our assistance against Austria again. Surely we would see ourselves at war with Austria at some point, for they have done nothing but try to antagonize us since our break in relations. I have not forgotten how they treated my sister. I am not certain I relish allowing France to decide the peace again though.

News from Arabia has not been pleasant. I am not certain of the full extent of events that have been going on in the region, but it seems that Persia and Yemen do not approve of our trade presence in their nations and have expelled our merchants. This may warrant some attention, either through diplomatic efforts or military intervention, although we must also ask ourselves who is at fault here before we proceed.

I would also like to take the opportunity to speak to my Bavarian subjects. I did not expect the crown of Bavaria to be handed to me, but I shall reign over them as fairly and justly I would any Hispanian. I believe it only fair that for the time being the Bavarians be granted a level of autonomy, allowing them control of their own internal affairs. I shall strive to ensure their interests are considered here in Valencia.

I’d also like to ask the Minister of Religious Affairs as to the reasoning behind his decision to focus solely on one group of Coptics in Egypt while those in our Polish lands still refuse to accept the Church of Jesus Christ? I certainly hope the Church’s expansion into India is not neglected in the coming years, for it seems a shame to not attempt to enlighten the heathens of India.

We must always consider how we wish to proceed going into the future. Our trade empire continues to grow, and perhaps could grow even more if given due attention. Our recent expansion may have also overburdened the Empire, so perhaps a time spent consolidating our recent additions should be considered. Peaceful colonization in Southeast Asia could benefit the Empire as well.

((Another war down. We have quite a few things to consider. France has asked us to help, so we will be voting on that later. I’ll leave it to everyone to decide how to respond to events in Arabia. As for Bavaria, that was a welcome surprise.

Now for our usual business, ministers have until Wednesday at 12PM PST to post their plans, and players may propose laws in that time period. We might also want to consider changing our national focus, which is currently set to military, something we don’t need anymore. As for the elections, I shall post the results of the 1780 election some time after the update. I don’t want to delay updates to tabulate the results. We also have an election coming up in 1784, so consider using the opportunity to campaign for that, keeping in mind that many of this update’s events will impact the results.

Pensioners:
@Dadarian
@wzhang29

))

The Election of 1780

The election occurring in 1780 was not a heavily contested one. Most of the parties focused on consolidating their position or holding onto what they already had. The big issue up for debate, mainly the war with Malwa, had not progressed enough to impact the vote. It mostly came down to the campaigns each party carried out, the speeches said both before Parliament and in public. The Imperials staged several rallies to bolster support, gaining a few seats in each house. The Reconquista gained enough seats to form the largest party in the Cortz, although they lost ground in the Assembly. Some credited this to the Phoenix Faction siphoning away their more liberal members. Speaking of that faction, despite the attempts of the other parties to contain the far left group, the fiery speeches by Emiliano Faixòn saw its membership grow at a steady rate, although the members of the Cortz avoided the party like the plague. As for the Los Campos, it faced a period of stagnation, unable to gain seats but solidly holding on to what it had. It lost ground in the Cortz, where the Imperials and Reconquista were strongest.

Perhaps what most upset the state of the 1780 election was the creation of the Parta Marina, a party committed to merchants and sailors. Due to the great importance of trade in the Empire, it quickly gained a steady following. There were quite a few in the merchant class who were disgruntled and wanted to voice their opinion as mercantilism came under threat. They swept into Parliament, overcoming even the Phoenixes thanks to significant support from the middle class. There was speculation that their appearance in Parliament might have hampered the Phoenix Faction from growing even further. They didn't gain as many seats in the Cortz, seeing as most of the nobility weren't too concerned with trade and drifted towards one of the other parties.

Assembly

Independent (Appointed) - 74 (-1)
Independent - 77 (-39)
Imperial - 35 (+5)
Reconquista - 17 (-5)
Marina - 29 (+29)
Los Campos - 43 (0)
Phoenix - 25 (+11)

Cortz

Independent (Crown) - 9 (0)
Independent - 21 (-14)
Imperial - 20 (+4)
Reconquista - 21 (+5)
Marina - 7 (+7)
Los Campos - 12 (-2)

((I'm thinking from now on I'll turn each election into a mini-update. I'll try to post them after the update they occur, seeing as I don't want them delaying the update since they take some time to set up. This might mean they'll be delayed until the day after the update at times, but then you'll have a better idea of why the seats changed the way they did. I'll also start including these in the Table of Contents. I'm also not sure if I prefer the transparent background for the seating diagrams or white.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
It seems that once again France sees fit to strike at a hated for. And once again that Hispania joins in this war against a mutual enemy.

Don't take this as disapproval, quite the opposite truly. But as Chancellor I feel that I must inform you that my Emperor and Hispania has interests in Austrian territory as well.

In particular, the Mediterranean coastline in the Adriatic and the rightful Bavarian land unjustly held by the enemy.

If I were able to present to his Imperial Majesty that France recognizes these and is willing to allow us to gain them in the war, it would a trivial matter to convince him to honor the alliance.

Hispania remembers the Phoenix War and the Ally who stood by us, and the one who didn't. But Hispania's grievances and interests needs to be respected as well.

"Gentlemen, friends. I stand today in front of you to address the insults thrown at us by the Arabs, the insults of throwing our merchants out for no good reason at all!

You may have heard many different things, however I shall give you the truth I witnessed with my very own eyes!

The people of Arabia have been buying many things from us, and we happily supplied and sold them. We helped them to recover and rebuild, we even paid reparations for the sack of Mecca. And when we began to sell opium to them they didn't object. However did we force them to buy it? Of course not!

And as time passed more and more people demanded it. So of course we couldn't say no to them. After all if we have the supply why not fulfil the demand? And their governments allowed it! They did nothing! Not a single objection was heard, and the trade continued peacefully.

But some time ago trouble began to brew. Hispanian trade posts were raided, the goods sold by our merchants stolen and burned, our people slain. But we didn't stop trading. We ensured that proper measures are taken, guards hired. However that didn't prove enough and the attacks continued! Attacks on Hispanian merchants! And now, when the Emperor himself asked the rulers of Arabia to allow even more troops to be stationed there, and the culprits found and punished to secure the trade depots we are thrown out! If this is not an insult to our nation, then I don't know what else is.

So I ask you all for some kind of intervention, be it an ultimatum or if need by a military campaign! We cannot allow this deed to go unpunished! We must open the ports of Arabia, or our trade income will suffer. That's not a possibility, that is a fact. A large portion of Hispanian income came from the Arabian trade. And with that market closed for Hispanian merchants goods will rot in storehouses with nowhere to be sold. So once again I ask you: Intervene in Arabia for the good of our trade Empire, for the good of Hispanian people!"

Carta Asiatica

written by Garcia Manuel Alferreda (Synonym for Gaspar Melchor)

((This is a "stolen" idea. Jóse Cadalso invented this kind of book: two fictional persons, a morrocan diplomat and his friends are writing letters to each other, where the morrocan criticises the spanish society. As we dont have Morocco anymore it will be a persian diplomat))

Dear Friend,
since I visited Spain the first time, I wondered how you do Politics. Some men, sitting in a assembly, discussing about the nations well being. It's a great idea to give the people a voice, to let them shout out their problems. But then... why do you give this power into the hands of nobles and men who want to sustain their power? The assembly is a farce, the mass of the people having a seat there aren't even independent, as they say. Influenced by the Empress and her fellows, the Arcbishop, the Marshal,... The smallest part of the assembly is a big threat to the Empress. Monsieur Faixon seems to be such a threat. Some members of the Los Campos Faction. Segnor von Poelitz. Even Monsieur Cibran Arceo doesn't seem to attack the Empress, as he did in the past? And why do you do nothing about it? Please explain it to me
Ali-Ben-Jafra

((So, that it's clear: The friends who are part of this "Conversation" are fictional. These "letters" had been published by the Correo Madrid in the real history, and I'll follow this example))

Reactions: