• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((As far as I know, Minister plans are customarily, if not legally required to be,
released, so the people would already know Empress's plan. ))

((There was a law passed in 1719 concerning it, but it was for the Court and Small Council. It can be argued that it was not inherited though by Parliament and Cabinet.

Besides, matters of war could be considered an exception to this law as a basic operational security.))

((I've been assuming that all plans are presented to Parliament, since it is essentially the new form of court, although someone could cause a scandal by using that loophole. I agree though that information regarding any plans for war would be shared only on a limited scale. The Parliament might know that war is being considered, but they wouldn't know when or any exact details. Can't let information leak to the enemy ahead of time. Perhaps this could be considered for a law in the future to clarifying what should and should not be shared with Parliament for security purposes.))

((Private - Cabinet))

JpsioAG.png

It is always good to hear counterarguments when considering such a serious matter as war. While I am not often inclined to favour a European war, I can see the merit of this one. With Wallachia now becoming part of Hispania, we have an isolated enclave we cannot reach without going through Byzantium. This limits our ability to defend the region. While I am certain the Greeks are willing to assist us in this matter, I do not believe it necessary to force their involvement, especially since the Wallachians have shown an unwillingness to have the Greeks have any sort of power over them. Thus our only other option is to link Wallachia to the sea, and that requires taking land from Poland. The Poles have been an enemy of ours for some time, and in fact were the reason we freed Wallachia in the first place. We must also consider that now that the Scandinavians have cut off the Poles from the Baltic, their naval presence is now confined to the Black Sea, and thus a direct threat to Byzantium. It might be wise to cut them off from all access to any seas. It seems so far that Parliament favours the conquest of Moldavia, so I imagine it will have the approval of the people.

As for the matter of Bavaria, I concur that we must keep a strong front. They have expressed a desire to remain independent, and we should respect that. That means not only guaranteeing their independence but respecting their wishes in regards to Germany. If at some point they decide they would be better suited as part of Germany, we should be willing to accept their wishes. For now, it seems unlikely that will be the case.

Perhaps it is more professional for the Empress Dowager to refer to me as His Majesty, but old habits die hard. I often find myself inclined to refer to her as my mother, for it is only fitting for the woman who raised and protected me, so I do not fault her if she prefers to refer to me as her son instead. I will in the future ensure I follow such decorum, and I assume she will as well, but I will not be bothered by references to such familial ties and nor should anyone else.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

I would be willing to refer to my son as the Emperor in public settings such as Parliament, but in more private areas, like the Cabinet I would rather not have to extend such formalities to my own children.

Besides, there are other, much more embarrassing things I can call him than my son anyways. One can't raise a child without witnessing her share of such moments.

The Great Reform of 1773: Yes
Amendment to the Great Reform of 1773: No
The Abolition of Slavery Act: Yes
The Assembly Reform Act of 1773: Yes
Preference for Assembly: Assembly Reform Act
The Justice Act of 1773: Yes
Preference for Justice: Justice Act
The Inquisition Reform Act: Yes
The Holy Order Reassignment Act: Yes
Assembly Representation Act: No
The Cortz Reform Act of 1773: Yes
Mission: Moldavia

Martí de Alvaro, Grand Duke of Sardinia, Corsica and Albenga and Minister of Finance
[Grand Duke, Minister of Finance, funded colony, Cortz, Partido Reconquista]

((And the results of the vote.

The Great Reform of 1773: Yes
Amendment to the Great Reform of 1773: No
The Abolition of Slavery Act: Yes
The Assembly Reform Act of 1773: No
Preference for Assembly: Great Reform
The Justice Act of 1773: Yes
Preference for Justice: Justice Act
The Inquisition Reform Act: Yes
The Holy Order Reassignment Act: Yes
Assembly Representation Act: No
The Cortz Reform Act of 1773: Yes
Mission: Moldavia

Now that this vote is complete, I shall be adopting the new voting system from here on. I've updated the rules to include these changes, but they're basically the same as what I suggested I would do earlier. Parliamentary composition will be determined based on each party receiving safe seats tied to specific provinces important to each party and then adjusted by modifiers that represent party membership amongst players and events in the iAAR and game. Players' VP will now determine how many seats they influence, with those in parties being the ones only able to influence their own AI party members and everyone in a house influencing independents. I've also had to make some adjustments though. Due to the complexity involved with this new system, adding in the estate bonuses added an unnecessary complication, so from now on they will not be used for parliamentary voting. However, it has also become clear to me that this new system will not work with any voting having more than two options, especially when none are the status quo. With players split into two houses, it because much more difficult to have two separate options pass through both houses. Thus I've decided that those type of votes, mainly missions and idea groups, will still use the old system of voting from before Parliament was a thing. Most of them don't make sense to be voting on like we would a bill anyway. Estate bonuses will still apply to these though.

As for the update, I shall get to it in a bit. Have to do some editing to account for all these new laws. Might also get interrupted by family later, so not sure when the update will be out.))

((Update is going to be delayed for a bit. My brother is home visiting and I spent the evening with him and possibly will most of tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to get it out once I have time.))

1773-1778 – The Valois Coup

Hispania underwent many new changes as the reforms proposed early in the year were considered. Slavery was abolished, along with serfdom much to the annoyance of the more conservative nobles. A new Ministry of Justice was created to improve the legal system and bring an end to the shady court intrigues of old. The Inquisition was repurposed and the Holy Orders brought to an end. The Emperor also announced that the 1775 elections would be postponed until 1776 to give time for the new election committee to be established and the electoral districts to be defined. ((It’ll be easier for me to remember when the elections are if they fall upon even numbers and the turn of the century. :D))

As for Parliament itself, the Assembly saw the number of appointed members dropped from 100 to 75, a quarter of the 300 members in total. The Emperor, in response to his act failing to pass both houses due most likely to the clause regarding appointed members, stated that he accepted their wishes and would not try to make further changes to their positions. However, seeing as they were appointed by him, he stressed that he wanted a Parliament that was committed to progress and not tied down by petty partisan politics. Thus he made sweeping changes to the current appointments, removing all those associated with any parties and replacing them with highly qualified individuals with no party ties. The Assembly should focus on advising him to take the best course of action, not arguing between various factions.

As for the Cortz, the Emperor’s own reform increased the power of the dukes and grand dukes, granting them seats for each of their titles, as well as creating appointed positions for the Crown titles. After the act passed, Emperor Alfons stated his commitment to ensuring the Cortz best represented the nobility, and thus all those appointed to represent Crown provinces would come from the lesser nobility living within their respective provinces. He gathered them all in a diet to discuss who best would represent each province and picked those who appeared most qualified. The fact that all these appointed barons and such chosen by the Emperor had no party ties didn’t escape notice.

Talks with Bavaria went over well. The Bavarians were more than happy to sign a formal alliance, hoping that it would deter the Germans who were watching them like a hawk. Germany had already sent a formal warning to Bavaria, not that the latter had many choices of nations to declare war on.

The Minister of Religious Affairs, Pope Xystus II, gave instructions to the Inquisition to ignore all known heathens and Christians unaccepting of the Church of Jesus Christ and focus instead on the most fanatical Coptics in Egypt. Many in the Inquisition believed it would take decades to make any headway against the devout Coptics of Egypt, but the Minister was insistent.

The matter of Poland was also a major issue. The Parliament favoured securing Moldavia, either to cut Poland off from the Black Sea or so Wallachia could be reached by sea. The Exercit Valencia set sail for Wallachia, along with the Exercit Napoli. The Exercits Athens and Jerusalem marched through Byzantium on their way to the Polish border. Once they had arrived in Wallachia, war was declared on Poland and the four armies swarmed over the border into Moldavia.

Poland’s army must have been farther north, for the armies had little difficulty moving over the border. Captain General Gilbert de Saint-Pierre was tasked with capturing Bessarabia while the other two generals occupied the surrounding landscape they could reach. The Polish navy was forced out into the open during the process, but it only lost two ships before fleeing back to port.

Further to the east, Persia declared a holy war on Genoa, wanting to pushed the exiled Italians from the Caucasus Mountains.

France was having to do some work to ensure its new acquisitions stayed in line. The Swiss had taken the opportunity to make a break for freedom now that they had a new overlord, but the French army bared down on them and dashed those dreams.

The attempts to seal off the coast of Brazil met success at last, but Scotland was already expanding inland. Likewise, the land connection between the various parts of Nuevo Leon was completed. The Crown became funding colonization efforts in the interior of Brazil in an attempt to ensure the Scots didn’t expand further inland, while the Alvaro family seemed content to fund a colony up in Nueva Granada.

Kaffa declared war on Ethiopia as the struggle over East Africa continued.

In March of 1774, Bessarabia finally gave in, with Saint-Pierre storming the fort and leaving the way north clear. He marched north with a second army for the fort in Podole while the remaining two generals harassed the countryside before reaching the fort at Zemplen.

The Polish navy was pushed out into open waters again, but the Hispanian fleet was repairing in Byzantium, leaving the Greeks to fend them off at first. The Hispanian fleet arrived a week later and ensured a victory. The Polish navy was finished.

Recent reforms had brought an end to the secretive way of handling matters as the spymaster once did. Now the justice system would handle all such matters, within reason, but no longer would some shadowy figure be placed above the law. When some former associates of the spymaster sought out the Emperor to seek employment, Alfons turned them away. He would not resort to such measures unless necessary.

Podole was not difficult to capture, and fell within three months. By that time, the Polish army had made an appearance. Saint-Pierre led his two armies after them before they could sneak back north. With the assistance of the Greeks, the Poles were sent on their way with several thousand less men.

A colonial retreat of sorts was established in the cold land of Sikumiut on behalf of Cibrán Arceo. This led to some interesting interactions with the UKA. The Americans were in the process of extending their presence north. However, they seemed unwilling to antagonize their only ally. When it was discovered a Hispanian colony was being established just to the north, they abandoned their efforts. The American settlers did not have the same worries as their government and kept flocking to the area though. ((The UKA kept establishing a colony next door in Naskapi but then removed it soon after the colonist arrived. I kept getting messages about the CBs I gained and then lost whenever the colony popped up and then disappeared. Went on for quite awhile.))

When it was clear that the Polish army had fled from reach, Saint-Pierre marched on the fort in Wolyn. As for Leon and Dias, they had harried the defenders at Zemplen long enough to make them cave in. Not much stood in Hispania’s way now.

The Crown continued to fund colonies in South America in the hopes of sealing the Scots off from the interior, but it was a slow going. Cooperation with the colonial nations continued too, with their interests being considered regarding trade in the New World.

The Poles were unwilling to surrender so easily and attempted to liberate some of their provinces, but the Greeks along with Lieutenant General Dias struck at them in Belz. The Poles were not so easily broken, although standing against such massive numbers was near impossible. They fled north again.

France’s rebel problems continued, this time with Austrian separatists trying to rejoin Austria in Lombardie. Due to the proximity to the border, the Exercit Firenze mobilized to assist the French this time, assisting them in crushing the rebel force before it could potentially threaten Cremona.

Wolyn was the next to fall, and from there the capital was in sight. Dias had already reached Warszawa, while Saint-Pierre worked his way up to Wizna.

The Indian Trading Company fell on hard times as the company stagnated due to a lack of expansion in India. The Crown had other areas to focus on and left them to fend for themselves for now.

The Enlightenment was in full swing by 1775, with many new ideas being tossed around. The Crown encouraged new innovative ways of thinking, and reforms were encouraged. This spread to the navy, where the process of promotion was formalized with only men who served in roles such as midshipman could become a commissioned officer. With changes in fortifications being developed, better and more manoeuvrable artillery needed to be constantly developed. Innovation never ended.

In May of 1775, Basileus Romanos V Palaiologos passed away, passing the throne to his son Alexandros II.

The Polish army manoeuvred around trying to break past the Hispanian armies, but the Hispanians moved to keep them from sneaking south. When Warszawa and Krakow both fell, there was nothing standing in the way of the Hispanians and the Polish army. The Poles tried to flee into Hungary, but Leon gave chase. Reinforcements arrived over time, and even with unfavourable conditions working against Hispania, the Poles weren’t able to hold out. They fled north to the only place they could go.

When Wizna fell in September, Poland’s fate was all but decided. They had nothing left to protect them. Dias launched an attack on the trapped Polish army, and with Saint-Pierre’s help managed to force a surrender. The Poles wanted no more and gave in. Thus they came to the peace table and accepted the offer Hispania sent their way. Poland handed over Moldavia and their provinces on the Black Sea. The fort at Podole was included as well to ensure the frontier adequately was protected, both from Poland and Lithuania. Poland also had to relinquish all its many claims on Germany, Austria, and many others, for no one wanted them expanding west again. Silesia was granted independence as an afterthought. They were unlikely to last long on their own, but perhaps they could be used as a suitable nation to weasel the rest of Silesia away from Austria without it falling in German hands. Austria immediately moved to extend its influence over Silesia as a member of the HRE, while Hungary seemed to have ideas of its own about who would protect the fledgling state. Either way, Hispania had secured Moldavia for itself, linking Wallachia to the sea.

There were growing concerns that the desire for tea was forcing Hispanians to become dependent on goods that Hispania did not have suitable control over. Coffee, however, was something Hispania could produce on its own and its consumption was encouraged instead.

Ming, perhaps trying to mimic western powers and strengthen its position in China, extended an offer of protection to Xi.

The TATC faced some difficulties in East Africa, but the Crown was unresponsive. Its attention was drawn to West Africa, where Mali had declared war on Morocco. The possibility of the larger African nation conquering its way into North Africa was not pleasant.

Due to the financial important of Lisboa, funds were set aside to improve the fortifications just in case the province was ever attacked by sea.

Events in Germany took a turn in 1776. The young German king, Friedrich VI Wilhelm von Sponheim, had been plagued with illness after illness throughout his childhood. Shortly before coming of age, he was struck down by the most terrible bout yet and failed to survive. As a child himself, he had not sired an heir and the Munster-German line of the Sponheim family went extinct with his death. The Luneburg branch still existed under Heinrich VII Sponheim, but the German nobles were reluctant to let him anywhere near the German throne. Despite being a distant relative of the late king, he was also a devout Catholic. While the people of Luneburg had started embracing Protestantism, their monarch had remained unmoved. When the topic of conversion was brought up, he remained adamant that he would remain Catholic, even if his conversion was required to ascend to the German throne. If anything, he seemed intent on returning the German people to Catholicism. For a year, the various nobles squabbled over who would be king. A candidate from the von Ravensberg family seemed to be most favoured, but there was still too much dissent. Ultimately, the question of Germany’s succession left it vulnerable to outside influence, and there were those watching and waiting for the moment to strike.

The Queen Dowager of Germany, a Valois and sister of the French Emperor, had not been happy with how certain elements at court had manipulated her husband and the regency to their own ends. Such a powerful nation could not be left in the hands of these nobles. With the cooperation of her older brother Emperor Charles VIII of France, she staged a coup. The regency was swept aside, and in its place her nephew Charles, the son of her late twin brother Henri, was put into power. Despite its rapid growth, the German nation was quite unstable, and the succession only added to that, leaving it is a position where it could not oppose the coup. With both the might of France and Scandinavia backing their choice for the German throne, Charles was quickly swept onto the throne and crowned King Karl V Albrecht de Valois of Germany, after he had sworn off his claim to the French throne. Perhaps to placate the German people, the new king converted to Protestantism. Either way, they’d have to settle for a Frenchman as king or face the wrath of France and Scandinavia. The Valois line now controlled three of the most powerful thrones in Europe. ((I have no idea how a Valois became king, but I’m rolling with it. It seems the Sponheim heir died during the regency and that threw things into chaos for the AI. I imagine a certain Hispanian living in Germany will probably be receiving his pink slip soon. :D))

Kaffa proved victorious in their war with Ethiopia, conquering their way to the coast.

The Indian Trading Company continued to stagnate and face financial troubles, but their complaints fell on deaf ears.

Malwa, perhaps trying to impersonate a western power, declared war on the island nation of Ternate in South East Asia. Were the Indians making a play at imperialism now?

Ethiopia seemed doomed now as Yemen decided to prey on the weakened nation.

It seemed that the dynastic politics of Europe was heating up. With a Valois on the throne, Emperor Charles VIII suggested that if his second cousin died he would be the natural heir to the German throne. Lithuania disputed this, and threatened war if Charles made a move on the German throne. While this was all going on, the Habsburgs in Hungary were facing a similar crisis. The Hungarian king had no heir, and his nearest relative was the Archduke of Austria. Bavaria, however, could not tolerate seeing Austrian power grow and disputed this. It seemed likely war would erupt if either the king of Germany or Hungary died without an heir.

Yemen, despite being more than strong enough to wipe Ethiopia off the map, settled for war reparations instead.

Manchu made a move to show that it deserved the Mandate of Heaven by declaring war on Ming with the intent of unifying China. Both were large powers, but now it was time to see if Ming’s westernization paid off.

Mali settled a peace with Morocco, content merely to take the Saharan provinces it had squabbled with Morocco over in the past.

King Karl V Albrecht of Germany took steps to secure his throne by eliminating the threat of his biggest rival for his new throne. After lengthy negotiations, he managed to convince Duke Heinrich VII Sponheim to swear allegiance to him and have Luneburg formally join the German state.

Over the past few decades, Hispania had proven its ability to protect its people and defend the rights of those in other states. The world generally agreed that Hispania could be trusted to put people first.

As if to further prove Hispania’s commitment to the people, Emperor Alfons got drawn into a conflict with his cousin, Duke Carles de Trastámara. The people of Salento sent a representative to Valencia to present a list of abuses that Carles had committed. Apparently, the Duke was still acting as though Salento was his own personal fief and overriding Crown authority. Despite their blood ties, Alfons could not tolerate any abuse of the system. He sent a stern warning to his cousin to keep in line and respect the people of Salento. The Duke was not too happy about this and raised a fuss in the Cortz.

Austria, in an attempt to reclaim its former glory, declared itself the Defender of the Catholic Faith. Some speculated this was a direct challenge to Germany that they would not tolerate any further expansion by the Protestant power.

The TATC seemed to be doing quite well in West Africa, bringing in a steady profit.

As the year 1778 approached, some began to truly wonder the implications of three Valois monarchs in Europe. Would Germany now follow France’s lead or was it meant to take Hispania’s place in the alliance bloc? At least Hispania could take comfort in the fact the UKA had all but fallen into the Trastámara sphere.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks.

It appears that Poland is a mere shadow of its former self. The acquisition of Moldavia should ensure they cannot threaten our interests any further and that Wallachia is finally connected to the sea.

It came as a shock to hear that a Valois had ascended to the German throne. I am not certain how they managed that, and I have a feeling I don’t want to know the full details. Regardless, we should be better able to trust a Valois king than his Sponheim predecessors. I only pray that the three Valois monarchs do not draw too close that Hispania is left to its own devices.

Perhaps with all these changes in the world, we should consider the direction of our nation. Our colonies have always been of great importance, so perhaps focusing on our colonial empire may be a worthy pursuit. We could also consider seeking better relations with the neutral powers of Europe, such as Scotland. I am not certain how that will go, seeing as they are disputing our presence in Brazil. There are many areas to focus on, whether administrative, diplomatic, or military, but I shall leave that up to Parliament to debate.

((If it isn’t obvious, we have a mission and idea group to pick, which we’ll do when the vote comes around. Also, the position of Speaker has been created for the Assembly, so any member of the Assembly may nominate themselves for the position and we’ll have the Assembly members vote on who should take the position. As for the composition of Parliament, I shall be posting that some time after the update. I just have to make some final adjustments to the numbers and add in our new provinces.

As for our usual business, ministers have until Wednesday at 12PM PST to post their plans. Players may also propose laws in that time period.

Pensioners:
@Duke Dan "the Man"

))

Last edited:
Sophia sat as she considered her options. Nothing ventured, nothing gained she supposed...

To His Majesty the King of Germany,

As you may know perfectly well, relations between our nations are nonexistent outside the occasional messenger. With our common allies, this will not do, as it may cause problems with your relatives if our two nations will not speak to another and make decisions that harm the other.

But there is one problem to the obvious solution. Your Chancellor is a known traitor to our Empire and it cannot be expected that such relations exist if he remains in his position. What I ask is one thing, arrest our problematic friend and turn him over to us so he can face justice, and I will be able to use it to establish relations between Germany and Hispania.

Sophia de Trastamara, Empress Dowager and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Hispania

((Finally got around to tabulating the composition of both houses of Parliament. Here are the results of the 1776 election and the current seats in the Assembly and the Cortz.

Assembly

Cortz

If you're wondering about what each colour represents, the dark grey are the appointed independents, the light grey are the remaining independents, purple is the Imperial Faction, yellow is the Reconquista Party, green is the Los Campos Faction, and red is the Phoenix Faction. If you'd like your party to have another colour next time, feel free to make suggestions. I just picked what felt most appropriate. If you're wondering why the numbers are as they have turned out here, I mostly went off player membership in parties for initial numbers and then applied a few modifiers based on how I expected each party to be doing. The huge number of independents in the Assembly is due to all 75 of the appointed members being independents as the Emperor specified and the people with the most VP in the Assembly being all independents. As for the Cortz, the appointed members are all the Crown ones, which like the Assembly are all supposed to be independent. There actually should be 91 seats in the Cortz at the moment, but the Crown Prince is underage and must leave his seat vacant. I also tended to favour the independents since I felt at this stage party membership should be relatively sparse and it'd more even the playing field since everyone can influence them.

Also, I do see the letter to the king of Germany, but I shall give time to see if Montségur is up to anything first. He could have died during the update for all I know. :p))

((Montsegur dying is fine, but him saying he fled a year or two ago to avoid capture in response of this letter is where I would have a problem.

If he lives, I request an arrest roll and a escape roll when he is in transit to have our friend delivered to us. If the King approves that it.))

((I would have a problem with the second option as well. :eek:
And even though I doubt the Germans would deliver him, I'll go on as I planned it anyway, with a slight change due to circumstances.))

"Deliver this to the Parliament. I would propose Graf Friedrich von Posen to succeed in my position as regent." The man hurried out of the room. Montségur waited. His patience served him well during his life, but now it had to run out. He weakly put down the quill, knowing he would never touch it again. He didn't have to wait long before the Queen Mother arrived. She gestured for his servant to leave them alone, sat down next to his bed and shouted after the man had executed the order.

"Von Posen? Does your age make you mad? The man is utterly incapable as regent! Change the recommendation, and if it is the last thing you do!"

Montségur's answer was much less audible. "My mind is perfectly fine, even if there is only little time left for my body. Only death can stop me from working, and even then, my presence will continue to be felt. I wanted to speak with you. And von Posen, as a military man, is another piece that fits into my clockwork. When you die, you can focus on what is truly important."

"Don't speak in riddles, von Sickerberg. I want my son to ascend to an intact throne, not whatever this regent should do to Germany."

"And here is where we differ", his frail voice sounds. "He will see his maturity as much as I will see it." The Queen Mother was visibly trying to understand, and the grim realization was written all over her face as Montségur continued. "See this empty bottle of wine? I wanted to taste my ancestral home one last time, and Friedrich Wilhelm was kind enough to share the moment with me. The wine contained a fairly strong poison... as any reasonable person would, he didn't suspect that I wanted to poison both of us. At most, I'd give him an hour. Less for me."

When she did realize it, she broke out in tears, and grabbed the old man, violently asking for an antidote between sobs and insults, letting her rage and grief out. "You traitor! You were like a grandfather to him!"

Montségur could only speak into some pauses. Thankfully, there was nobody around who could hear her.
"There is no antidote. The dosis was far too strong, in any case. I can feel my remaining little strength being drained away, and so should the king's." She seemed to turn her head to the door. "Calling the guards won't save him, and they should be busy enough right now."

"Then I'll send you to hell myself." She said, pure determination and hatred in her eyes.

"Killing a dying man? Go ahead. Or listen why I wanted you here, why I tell you this instead of letting history determine the reason for his death." She hesitated. "Brand me a regicide if you want. They all know me well enough to weave hundreds of theories should they know what I told you. Likely implicating you as well. Better to blame his weak health to be responsible for his death, as for mine too. There is unfinished business, and I need you to finish it. My instructions are in the letter on the desk."

She opened the letter, looked at it. "For that, you monster?" She sobbed, waving the letter around.

"The future of Germany, of Europe has always been my priority. Dying helps you to finalize your plans, as it makes you look back at your life. You may not want it, but you will follow that letter. Especially against von Posen, whose military mind will be necessary in the coming days, weeks, months... not more. There needs to be a strong dynasty on the German throne.
There are people following the rules, those breaking them, and...", he took a long breath, "those setting them. Like me."

These were the last words of Alexandre César de Montségur, after 78 years in which the world would be a different place without him, as he thought. What happened to this letter?

((He could hardly leave silently. Nothing left to do over there, so it's good to leave German diplomacy behind. And focus on aggressive opposition's work :rolleyes:.))

((Finally got around to tabulating the composition of both houses of Parliament. Here are the results of the 1776 election and the current seats in the Assembly and the Cortz.

Assembly

Cortz

If you're wondering about what each colour represents, the dark grey are the appointed independents, the light grey are the remaining independents, purple is the Imperial Faction, yellow is the Reconquista Party, green is the Los Campos Faction, and red is the Phoenix Faction. If you'd like your party to have another colour next time, feel free to make suggestions. I just picked what felt most appropriate. If you're wondering why the numbers are as they have turned out here, I mostly went off player membership in parties for initial numbers and then applied a few modifiers based on how I expected each party to be doing. The huge number of independents in the Assembly is due to all 75 of the appointed members being independents as the Emperor specified and the people with the most VP in the Assembly being all independents. As for the Cortz, the appointed members are all the Crown ones, which like the Assembly are all supposed to be independent. There actually should be 91 seats in the Cortz at the moment, but the Crown Prince is underage and must leave his seat vacant. I also tended to favour the independents since I felt at this stage party membership should be relatively sparse and it'd more even the playing field since everyone can influence them.

Also, I do see the letter to the king of Germany, but I shall give time to see if Montségur is up to anything first. He could have died during the update for all I know. :p))

((These pictures are great, but am I the only one that wants a number count as well?))

((These pictures are great, but am I the only one that wants a number count as well?))

((Ah, yeah, I can see why it'd be tricky to figure out exact numbers from the charts. Here are the numbers.

Assembly
1ttiEVH.jpg

Independent (Appointed) - 75
Independent - 116
Imperial - 30
Reconquista - 22
Los Campos - 43
Phoenix - 14

Cortz
vChzHJH.jpg

Independent (Appointed) - 9
Independent - 35
Imperial - 16
Reconquista - 16
Los Campos - 14​

Hopefully it's much more clear now.))

Last edited:
(( Time for me to jump bakc in, now that my life is back in the proper order! ))

Name: Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre
Date of birth: 1757
Class: Courtier
House: Assembly
Faction: Independent (For now)
Religion: Lutheranism
Bio: Charles is the grandson of Gilbert de Saint-Pierre, veteran of the Phoenix war and the general in Hispanian army. Charles, unlike his grandfather, was deeply intrigued by the matters of trade, studying it across Europe, practicing it in the ranks of the TATC while preparing to take over after his father. Having travelled across the continet, Charles picked up on the teaching of Martin Luther, seeing them as superior to the teachings of the Roman Church. After finishing his studies, he decided it was time for his family to return onto the political scene, and speak in the name of the merchants, sailors and keep the Hispanian economy strong.

(( Gilbert as of this moment willl be non-active, but alive and still leading troops, if possible. He might be old, but he won't give up on his career. ))

Reactions:
((good to see my ancient cousin getting involved still, unlike the weak Duke Matthias- to explain my absence IC, I needed a reason to why Pedro has some weakness, inherited through some weird connection i can't be bothered to think of xD, OOC it is just cause i keep forgetting to particpiate + tbh, although I love this iAAR and the overall atmosphere, I will have to kill, at least the spanish line, off- maybe make Alejandro have a brother somewhere- will still try to forge a family tree of a sort- lost the original due to external circumstances, r.i.p :( ))

((Good to read that. :) On an unrelated note to @ML8991 , your character has gender issues in your sig again ;).))

Faixón continued roaming the land between parliamentary sessions, accusing the Great Reform as the farce that it is, the Assembly as still powerless body only designed for some appeasement. The people should open its eyes! The same few were reigning Hispania as they did before the civil war, and this was bound to change. Where were the reforms? Slavery was abolished? Only in name, for the people were all slaves, merely under the illusion of freedom!
He didn't know if his speeches had the desired effect on the masses, but at least the Facció gained some important financial support. With this support, he would fund a colony close to the Haida people
((in Tlingit?)), far away from Hispania yet not under colonial government, where the settlers would be able to make their own decisions.

"While the Great Reform exists solely to strengthen the current ruling elite without any regards to the Assembly, it does create an office for our house that holds some symbolic value. All that while abolishing the troublesome Second Ministry. Still, we hardly have a choice. Whatever we propose, this old elite stops. We need a loud voice to continue yelling at their door, and one day, when these old elites are gone, perhaps we shall even be heard. I can think of two voices loud enough in our house to be elected Speaker: MA Arceo and myself. Seeing as he already holds a ministry, even as he was unjustly stripped of the Second Ministry, I would like to present myself to be elected as Speaker."

Reactions:
From his seat, elected MA from Asturias and member of the Imperials Francesco Torres rose to speak.

"And who are you to say that only two of the three hundred members of the Assembly are fit for the position of Speakers, Phoenix? I believe you are doing a grave disservice to the other 298! Since it seems that no one else seeks to oppose Faixon, I shall! I nominate myself as a candidate for Speaker of the Assembly."

((Since there is no player Imperial in the Assembly, I choose to make one up for the role.))

"Only two are raising their voices against the status quo. Of course none of your Imperials are. Why should you, as you are the 'victors' of the civil war? Do you realize that the victor should not be a small group, but the Empire? Does your faction do anything to give the Assembly a function? No, you and your entire faction, like the Reconquista against what they call their own ideals, are merely minions of the Dowager Empress. The Assembly is not such a minion, and it needs someone to step up to that task! There are not 298 unsuited for this task - there are 30 Imperials, 22 Reconquistadores. And the 75 appointed, for they are even more inclined to silently accept every mistreatment of this house. Each one of those remaining deserves his place in the Assembly, and deserves an Assembly with a purpose!
The one doing a grave disservice here is you. You and your 126 cronies should have no place here, and the only reason why you do? Because the head of your faction wills it."