• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fortunately, Sophia's wound healed and the infection cleared, but it left her weaker than before. Where she was once had a build greater than any other woman, she was merely average. Her arm also never fully recovered, with a nasty scar on her shoulder from the wound and the infection.

"Germany's rise is troubling. I do not believe "reclaiming" territory is the last we will see from Montsegur. I fear that war will come from them in time, once they have isolated us from our allies. They are in an alliance with France, and have granted boons to both Austria and Scandinavia. Meanwhile, our Chancellor has been inactive, not allowing us to expand to counter this threat or treat with our allies to ensure that our alliances do not falter. I fear that Montsegur will return, with a German army and our allies at his side, with us friendless and alone. And I do not believe we can win that war.

We need to continue to expand overseas. We need to prepare for war, for I fear that it will find us in time."

((I'm new to this, so feel free to point out if I am doing anything wrong.))

Name: Zhu Wingjen
Date of Birth: March 6, 1738
Class: Courtier
House: N/A
Religion: Protestant (Convert from Taoism/Confucianism)
Bio: A recent immigrant to the Hispania Empire, Zhu is a somewhat distant relative of the Royal Family of the Ming ((Hence the last name)). Born to a wealthy merchant family, Zhu was sent as a child to be educated in Hispania, learning the languages of the west ((What's the state/de facto langauge of Hispania? Is it Aragonese or something?)),being influenced by Western Ideas and converting to Christianity. Zhu is a successful merchant like his parents, but fled the Empire of the Great Ming as the ever encroaching Manchu Horde and Delhi Sultanate heathens continue to gobble up the Ming and threaten his trade. Realizing the fate of the Ming had been sealed, he acknowledges that he can never return to east as he has ties to the bloodline. Zhu hopes to reestablish the monopoly that he once held.

Reactions:
"My fellow Members of the Assembly,

"Germany is a distant threat and of no concern. Setting aside personal grudges and distaste for certain individuals within their regime, they are a free and independent nation, and one which has made no overtures towards us in the aim of achieving the distant fantasy that would be our subjugation at their hands. Indeed, rather than launching a campaign of scaremongering and wrathful militarism, we should instead continue to maintain a focus on internal development and the promotion of long-term stability throughout the Empire.

"Thank you."

Cibran Arceo,
MA for Galicia

((I'm new to this, so feel free to point out if I am doing anything wrong.))

Name: Zhu Wingjen
Date of Birth: March 6, 1738
Class: Courtier
House: N/A
Religion: Protestant (Convert from Taoism/Confucianism)
Bio: A recent immigrant to the Hispania Empire, Zhu is a somewhat distant relative of the Royal Family of the Ming ((Hence the last name)). Born to a wealthy merchant family, Zhu was sent as a child to be educated in Hispania, learning the languages of the west ((What's the state/de facto langauge of Hispania? Is it Aragonese or something?)),being influenced by Western Ideas and converting to Christianity. Zhu is a successful merchant like his parents, but fled the Empire of the Great Ming as the ever encroaching Manchu Horde and Delhi Sultanate heathens continue to gobble up the Ming and threaten his trade. Realizing the fate of the Ming had been sealed, he acknowledges that he can never return to east as he has ties to the bloodline. Zhu hopes to reestablish the monopoly that he once held.

((I believe it would be Aragonese, but I imagine it's called Hispanian or something similar now just like how Spanish used to be Castilian. Also, welcome to the iAAR. :)))

Court Chaplain Velazquez: "While I do not believe Germany to be hostile at this moment, regardless of the untrustworthiness of their Chancellor, I must say Hispania must gain control over small, important areas that would greatly increase Hispanian prosperity. Some of these provinces being Mogadishu, Aden, Melaka, Pasai. These are all small targets that would greatly increase Hispanian wealth, without straining our resources."

((Asking the Chancellor to make a plan to snipe CoTs that belong to weak powers))

"Germany will not be a threat to Hispania should Montsegur keep his word and push for friendly relations with Hispania," said Alejandro, "Unless they were to unite with the Austrians into a single country, the balance of power would still be maintained. Instead, we should focus on other things, like pressing for reform in the Greek empire and expanding our empire overseas. I believe it would be best to ramp up our colonization program within the limits of our budget, so that we may bring in more wealth and resources from abroad while bringing civilization to the heathens and savages. I would also like to ask the Cortz and Assembly on the idea of a limited war with Alodia to claim the parts of Egypt under their control. Such a war would only be waged with a limited number of troops and only be declared if we have a justifiable reason for war. Conquering the rest of Egypt would give us total control over the rice farmlands of the Nile River valley and trade through the region. In addition, it would fully restore Roman rule there."

((War Minister plan: same as last time.

Also, are there planned events for Germany to annex Bavaria, Mainz, and Luneburg? It would be nice if we could clean up the borders there.:D))

Minister of the Interior Plan:
Develop the administration, Production and Recruitment in the following provinces: Valencia, Sevilla, Lissboa, Porto, La Mancha, Toledo, Madrid,Provence, Genoa, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, Ancona, Palermo, Athens.
Build
the same Buildings in the same Provinces as said in the previous plan. If there is not enough place to do so increase the size of the city.
((I know its not my "job" but wich states are possible rivals? And btw: Red EuropexD))

Court Chaplain Velazquez: "While I do not believe Germany to be hostile at this moment, regardless of the untrustworthiness of their Chancellor, I must say Hispania must gain control over small, important areas that would greatly increase Hispanian prosperity. Some of these provinces being Mogadishu, Aden, Melaka, Pasai. These are all small targets that would greatly increase Hispanian wealth, without straining our resources."

((Asking the Chancellor to make a plan to snipe CoTs that belong to weak powers))

"Germany will not be a threat to Hispania should Montsegur keep his word and push for friendly relations with Hispania," said Alejandro, "Unless they were to unite with the Austrians into a single country, the balance of power would still be maintained. Instead, we should focus on other things, like pressing for reform in the Greek empire and expanding our empire overseas. I believe it would be best to ramp up our colonization program within the limits of our budget, so that we may bring in more wealth and resources from abroad while bringing civilization to the heathens and savages. I would also like to ask the Cortz and Assembly on the idea of a limited war with Alodia to claim the parts of Egypt under their control. Such a war would only be waged with a limited number of troops and only be declared if we have a justifiable reason for war. Conquering the rest of Egypt would give us total control over the rice farmlands of the Nile River valley and trade through the region. In addition, it would fully restore Roman rule there."

((War Minister plan: same as last time.

Also, are there planned events for Germany to annex Bavaria, Mainz, and Luneburg? It would be nice if we could clean up the borders there.:D))

I would rather not depend on the good faith of a man who has betrayed us and proven to be untrustworthy but instead prepare for that man who rose up against us to do so again. To do otherwise would be ruinous, and to support such action folly. I support the proposal of targeted expansion overseas with the intention to further secure our trade routes, as we will need our soldiers to be prepared. As for the colonies, as they are mostly independent, I would consider aided them against their encroachment problem if they request it, but they have been silence on that end. As for Byzantium, we will see if they would even accept such support, as they rejected our last offer of aid.

I would rather not depend on the good faith of a man who has betrayed us and proven to be untrustworthy but instead prepare for that man who rose up against us to do so again. To do otherwise would be ruinous, and to support such action folly. I support the proposal of targeted expansion overseas with the intention to further secure our trade routes, as we will need our soldiers to be prepared. As for the colonies, as they are mostly independent, I would consider aided them against their encroachment problem if they request it, but they have been silence on that end. As for Byzantium, we will see if they would even accept such support, as they rejected our last offer of aid.
Of course, Montsegur betrayed the Empire once, and we must always be ready should he attempt to betray the Empire a second time. But if Montsegur truly wants a second chance, a chance to redeem himself, then he would be wise to remain on good terms with us. But let us be careful when dealing with him. If he wants peace, let's give him peace. But if he wants war, we should be ready for it.

The signature of the peace with Poland was a further success, a triumphal one, guaranteeing that Montségur's position as Chancellor was as secure as possible. Germany was now firmly established, secured the northern border. But no time to rest on the laurels. Much needed to be done still. Lüneburg, first of all. He spoke to their ambassador, proposing the integration of Lüneburg into the Reich again. The Polish threat was dealt with. With a now fairly significant Catholic population, there would be a guarantee that the religious divide would have to follow humanist ideals. There are few to no obstacles for such an 'Anschluss', and the recent cooperation clearly showed that there would be benefits for both sides.

Faixòn's service as Duke Belmonte de Soneta's squire came to an end, and he thanked the Duke for this time. He had learned to know the court and parliament, and was ready to assume a position in it - as elected member.

((I know its not my "job" but wich states are possible rivals? And btw: Red EuropexD))

((The only nation we can actually rival is France, hence why we have had no rivals for ages. We're just too powerful compared to the other states. ;)))

The signature of the peace with Poland was a further success, a triumphal one, guaranteeing that Montségur's position as Chancellor was as secure as possible. Germany was now firmly established, secured the northern border. But no time to rest on the laurels. Much needed to be done still. Lüneburg, first of all. He spoke to their ambassador, proposing the integration of Lüneburg into the Reich again. The Polish threat was dealt with. With a now fairly significant Catholic population, there would be a guarantee that the religious divide would have to follow humanist ideals. There are few to no obstacles for such an 'Anschluss', and the recent cooperation clearly showed that there would be benefits for both sides.

Lüneburg agreed to become a subject of Germany, but to allay any fear of discrimination based on religion, a gradual integration was requested. Lüneburg would become part of Germany, but only after at least a decade as a subject nation. ((Aka, Lüneburg will become a vassal and the AI will integrate them.))

JpsioAG.png

Despite the problems Montségur caused Hispania, we must remember that as Chancellor of a foreign power, he is still accountable to his new king, who in turn is bound by a constitution. If he were to use Germany for some ridiculous vendetta against us, it would require the support of the German king and people. I can't imagine them wanting to pursue a conflict with us, for we have no conflicting interests at the moment besides our relations with Austria. The fact that they are allied with two of our own allies is perhaps a good sign that we shouldn't have to worry about them turning against us, for it would surely lose them all their allies. Pursuing a preventative war that may not even be necessary will likely turn the Germans into the enemies that some fear they already are and force a confrontation with our allies. I will not support any sort of war against Germany simply because Montségur is managing their foreign affairs. We should focus on diplomacy first.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((The only nation we can actually rival is France, hence why we have had no rivals for ages. We're just too powerful compared to the other states. ;)))

Lüneburg agreed to become a subject of Germany, but to allay any fear of discrimination based on religion, a gradual integration was requested. Lüneburg would become part of Germany, but only after at least a decade as a subject nation. ((Aka, Lüneburg will become a vassal and the AI will integrate them.))

JpsioAG.png

Despite the problems Montségur caused Hispania, we must remember that as Chancellor of a foreign power, he is still accountable to his new king, who in turn is bound by a constitution. If he were to use Germany for some ridiculous vendetta against us, it would require the support of the German king and people. I can't imagine them wanting to pursue a conflict with us, for we have no conflicting interests at the moment besides our relations with Austria. The fact that they are allied with two of our own allies is perhaps a good sign that we shouldn't have to worry about them turning against us, for it would surely lose them all their allies. Pursuing a preventative war that may not even be necessary will likely turn the Germans into the enemies that some fear they already are and force a confrontation with our allies. I will not support any sort of war against Germany simply because Montségur is managing their foreign affairs. We should focus on diplomacy first.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

Regardless, we still need to ensure our protection, and our relations with France, Austria, and Scandinavia. We have not moved in that regard lately.

I call for the Minister of Foreign Affairs to make efforts to do this. His absence in planning for the past few years is not forgotten, but I will allow him a chance to correct his mistake before I remove him from his post.

Also, I will speak to the representatives from the colonies to see what they think about the encroachment by other nations.
((@Duke Dan "the Man" make a plan or lose your position))

Also, I will speak to the representatives from the colonies to see what they think about the encroachment by other nations.

The colonial representatives seem generally displeased by the general expansion into their territory by recent colonial powers. While most of them are tolerant of French expansion due to their lengthy presence there, both Nova Hispania and Nueva Granada have been antagonized by the Scots' successful land grab between their territories, La Plata is feeling itself increasingly pressured by the British, and Sanchonia is calling for increased colonization efforts on the Brazilian coast to keep Scotland out. The colonies have been trying to coordinate efforts through the supra-national body created for them ((I suppose I need a name for it at some point)), but they can only manage so much. With relations between the colonies and Hispania having improved greatly since the civil war, they are hesitant to take any action without Hispanian approval or assistance. They tentatively push for Hispania to either negotiate with the encroaching powers or pursue war with them. They stress that dealing with these threats now will ensure that Hispania and the colonies retain dominance over the region and the profitable trade flowing through there.

The colonies have been trying to coordinate efforts through the supra-national body created for them ((I suppose I need a name for it at some point)), but they can only manage so much.
((Congress? Assembly? Deputados? Curia Coloniae Hispaniae (CCH)? ))

JpsioAG.png

I have thought over the reforms I had proposed in the past years and have come to the conclusion that amendments are necessary, specifically in regards to the Prime Minister and their relationship to the Parliament. I thus propose the following.

Amendment to the Parliament Act of 1755

I. The Prime Minister shall no longer automatically serve as the head of the Assembly. They shall only serve as head of the Assembly if they are a member of the Assembly or if granted an honorary seat in the Assembly due to not being a member of Parliament.
II. If the Prime Minister is a member of the Cortz, they shall retain their seat in that body and not serve as the head of the Assembly. They shall no longer be granted a seat in the Assembly.
III. The Prime Minister may appoint a head of the Assembly, who shall be granted the position of Second Minister.
a) The Second Minister may not be a member of the Cortz.
b) If the Prime Minister is a member of the Cortz, they are required to appoint a Second Minister.
b) If the Prime Minister is a member of the Assembly, they are not required to appoint a Second Minister and may serve as head of the Assembly.​
IV. If the Chamberlain is appointed Prime Minister, they are now required to appoint a Second Minister.
V. If the Prime Minister is otherwise indisposed or unable to carry out their duties, the Second Minister shall assume their responsibilities.

((This is just me sorting out the issues caused by having a landed noble as PM. It messes up the votes since I have to count them as a member of the Assembly as long as they're Prime Minister instead of a member of the Cortz. Really, all this is doing is turning the Deputy Prime Minister we've had before into an official role, although they don't really do much except pick up the slack of a lazy or absent PM. I'll probably give VP to whoever gets the role too.))

((Congress? Assembly? Deputados? Curia Coloniae Hispaniae (CCH)? ))

((Congress could work. We've already used Assembly and Curia sounds religious to me and far too Latin. I'll try to think up some fancier version later.))

The Minister of Trade introduces a grand plan to greatly increase the size of Hispania's trade fleets. The Flotas Aden, Ceylon, and Malacca are to be doubled, increasing in number to 40 ships each. The Flota Alexandria is to be expanded to 40 ships as well, and the Flota Venice to 30. A further 10 great frigates are to be constructed to trade out of Canton. In total, 85 great frigates would be constructed for the trade fleets of Hispania, something well within Hispania's capability of supporting.

The Minister of Finance maintains the status quo for now.

Last edited:
((Curiae is a term used for the inter-parliamentary divisions of wealth in the Austrian/Cisleithanian Imperial Council c. 1867-1918. So it's Latin, but not solely religious))

((Can't we just call it the Upper/Lower Cortz? It would make things a whole lot easier. Plus it'll be just like many real life European bicameral parliamentary legislatures.))

((Can't we just call it the Upper/Lower Cortz? It would make things a whole lot easier. Plus it'll be just like many real life European bicameral parliamentary legislatures.))

((NEIN, Curiae of the Hacienda and Curiae of the Plebeian))

((I'm talking about the supranational body created for the colonies, not the Parliament. There shouldn't be a legislature or anything involved here. Just a body for representatives of all the states to meet and discuss things.))