• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ykgb1jj.png

FACCIÓN DE LOS CAMPOS

The Hispanian Country Faction formed as an alliance of old nobility and agrarian interests. The faction was not organized in the sense that political parties eventually would, however, as it primarily existed in the form of a combination of common interests and occasional meetings in Valencia for the purposes of discussing present political issues. Notable early supporters were the recently-entered-into-opposition Cibrán Arceo and the recently-elevated Gran Duque Exteto. Affiliation with the Faction was not regulated through a complicated membership process, instead being a simple matter of sitting near the Faction's other members in either the Assembly or the Cortz.

Ykgb1jj.png

FACCIÓN DE LOS CAMPOS

The Hispanian Country Faction formed as an alliance of old nobility and agrarian interests. The faction was not organized in the sense that political parties eventually would, however, as it primarily existed in the form of a combination of common interests and occasional meetings in Valencia for the purposes of discussing present political issues. Notable early supporters were the recently-entered-into-opposition Cibrán Arceo and the recently-elevated Gran Duque Exteto. Affiliation with the Faction was not regulated through a complicated membership process, instead being a simple matter of sitting near the Faction's other members in either the Assembly or the Cortz.

((So we are forming political parties now? Well I guess this would make a good Reactionary party. I need to form the Conservative faction then. Glory to the Empire and to its Emperor. Guess the Imperial name will be continued to be used))

((I shall be forming the liberal party, the Reconquista, at some point and write some accompanying IC. Anybody want to help suggest a platform for me?))

((Firehound 15 is pulling us into early modernity, whether we like it or not. ;) ))

((Edit:
((I shall be forming the liberal party, the Reconquista, at some point and write some accompanying IC. Anybody want to help suggest a platform for me?))
Honestly, I have no idea what the Reconquista even stands for, other than being servants of the de Leons. :oops: ))

((Second Edit: Is anyone willing to form the Pheonix party? :cool: ))

((Firehound 15 is pulling us into early modernity, whether we like it or not. ;) ))

((Edit:

Honestly, I have no idea what the Reconquista even stands for, other than being servants of the de Leons. :oops: ))

((Well, in my next IC I will make it clear that de Leon intends to move the Reconquista beyond a private secret police agency, as it has served its purpose against the likes of Bartomeu and Montsegur. What remains of the intelligence-gathering service will be handed over to Crown control. The rest of the organization will become a regular political party, which upholds the rights of the common people. Actually, I think I'll just get started right now...))

PARTIDO RECONQUISTA (Reconquista Party)
Ideologies: Religious Pluralism/Tolerance, civilian interests, Enlightenment-inspired liberalism, royalism, pro-meritocracy, pro-military, pro-interventionism etc. ((more to be added as the party evolves))
The Reconquista was originally created by Duke Alejandro de Leon in response to the perceived corruption of the then-Prime Minister Bartomeu de Trastamara as a way to defend the common people against abuse by corrupted nobility. From the time of Bartomeu de Trastamara to the end of the Phoenix Wars the Reconquista existed in this form. Following the end of the Phoenix Wars and the victory of the Imperial side, aided by Reconquista agents who sabotaged Phoenix morale, Alejandro de Leon saw no further use in keeping the Reconquista as it was and increasingly began seeing is as a liability which could itself turn against him and the government. As a result, upon the reorganization of the Empire into a constitutional monarchy he officially ended the Reconquista as it had existed for the last several decades. The Reconquista's intelligence-gathering services and agents were placed under government oversight and made fully independent from the rest of the organization, which was reorganized into an early form of political party.

Its platform is not fully completed and is still subject to change, but Alejandro de Leon has decided a tentative platform to include the following: the upholding of the rights of the common people, the right to a comprehensive education for all citizens (citizenship to be extended to all free Christian men of the Empire with a substantial income), the establishment of a meritocratic civil service system within the government that allows the most talented Hispanians to advance in society regardless of birth, the promotion of religious tolerance, a strong support for the monarchy as an institution, the incorporation of Enlightenment concepts and ideas into the government, and an acceptance of all cultural minorities within the Empire as equals under the Emperor. Any free Christian man living in the Empire is encouraged to join through an easy membership process which excludes nobody meeting the requirements listed above.

((Edit: added pro-meritocracy, pro-military, and pro-interventionism to ideological platform))

Last edited:
((Time to jump in on the political party game I guess. Might have a lot of overlap with the Reconquista, but I guess we would either merge or further distinguish ourselves.))

Facción Imperial (Imperial Faction)

Issues: Pro-CJC pluralism, Pro-Bureaucracy, Pro-Emperor, Pro-Foreign Influence

Formed in response to the sudden emergence of the two other factions, the Imperial Faction has its roots from the group of the same name in the Hispanian Civil War. Dedicated to fully realizing and protecting the Enlighted government formed by Alfons IX, the Imperials tend to reject any change they consider a radical departure. When change is inevitable, however, they tend to draw inspiration from the late Roman Republic and early Roman Empire. Seeing a strong, centralized bureaucracy built around the Prime Minister and Emperor as the key to success, the Imperials seek to ensure that all of the machinery that makes the Empire function is a part of this network so it may do so efficiency.​

((These parties could become an actual mechanic, separate from the faction mechanic, if you want @Michaelangelo . If so, I have some ideas. ;) ))

((Do you really want to use that name after the rebel side of the civil war used it? :p))

((So we are forming political parties now? Well I guess this would make a good Reactionary party. I need to form the Conservative faction then. Glory to the Empire and to its Emperor. Guess the Imperial name will be continued to be used))

((These parties could become an actual mechanic, separate from the faction mechanic, if you want @Michaelangelo . If so, I have some ideas. ;) ))

((Players are free to make political parties if they want, although I'm not intending to make an additional mechanic for them, since really they serve a more IC purpose at this point. Technically the current system works with it, since each player has VP that determines the strength of their vote. In this case, it would determine how many people in Parliament follow them and thus could be considered members of their party. Parties are just a good way of players coordinating votes. It's not really the same as the faction mechanic for republics, seeing as the Cabinet is in no way tied to the composition of Parliament. The largest party doesn't form the government, for example. The best example of a system similar to ours is Imperial Germany, where the emperor appointed a chancellor and he would have to work with the parties in the Reichstag to get support for bills. Of course the major difference here is the Parliament is ultimately advisory, so majority support isn't required, just recommended.

Anyway, I'll start linking to the party posts in the table of contents and players can start coordinating with each other. I'm leaving the parties entirely in the players' hands. It's up to you all to determine your own party's policies and admit other players into its ranks. If people actually want me to, I can try using VP to determine the actual composition of each house, but it'd be fairly inaccurate since it'd change the moment someone's VP was altered and I'd need to know every player's party affiliation.))

((Perhaps not right now, but who knows what the future holds? ;)))

Any reaction from Hispania would need some time to reach him, but in any case, there was far more to do as Chancellor of such a young nation than to tend to the Hispanians. The Reich had taken one of the best possible paths so far, but he couldn't rest on his laurels. Sitting next to his young king, Montségur welcomed the Lüneburgian dignitaries. After having presented his plan to his cabinet and the parliament, the Germans had agreed that it was the best way to deal with this situation. Good to know that he had their complete trust.
The King embraced his kin from Lüneburg. That both men were von Sponheims would be useful, though certainly not decisive. Judging from the reaction of the duke, Johann was not the only one happy to see his kin. Things settled down, and some minor diplomatic matters discussed before he came to the core of the meeting.

"We see that we agree on many points here. In fact, we have far more in common than there are differences. what would these be? Our faith. But why? Because of Poland. The vile Poles ruled over the duchy of Lüneburg not too long ago, and forced their faith upon its inhabitants, before you were freed by the intervention of the now-defunct Quadruple Entente. Freed as Austria didn't get what they wanted. Blessed with a modern and wise ruler from the line of the von Sponheim. Blessed with peace in the last years. Germans revelling in their regained freedom.
And now, the Germans have their one nation to uphold this freedom. To prevent any foreign power from oppressing our people as the Poles did. We will free more of them. And we would like to count on Lüneburgian assistance. The duchy is wedged between German lands and Bavaria, and this can only cause conflict in the future if we aren't solving it now. We are the same. I ask you to consider joining Germany. Your freedom will be upheld, the duchy stay intact. In a strong state, taking part in its government. No German shall fear oppression in Germany. Peacefully putting together what has to be one. Lüneburgians, make the right decision. You would not abandon anything, only gain from it. Do not let a faith separate us, a faith brought by a foreign conqueror, a faith whose followers shall not be persecuted in Germany. Make the right decision.
Your Grace, join the head of the family. With all this in common - wouldn't His Majesty guarantee that my words are true, that the lands of his kin will continue to flourish, that Lüneburg would do good to join Germany through this agreement?
The details and consequences of such a decision are of course open to discussion, and we are speaking about it here to make the transition as fluent as possible."

((Now you know where he is and what he's done so far. Montségur's still there, but I'll have a character in Hispania too ;).

Name: Emiliano Faixòn
Class: Courtier
Date of Birth: 17th December, 1738
House: None so far
Religion: CJC-Protestant
Bio: Little is known about Emiliano at court, about as much as about any average Hispanian. He has recently entered the services of Duke de Soneta di Belmonte, and has shown some interest in politics, following the sessions of the parliament with full attention.))

Reactions:
((I'm really annoyed right now, I had a big ol block of text for Fausto going to St. Helena, living for some time and then dying, only to find out he is now a ghost stuck in the Valencia Military Academy. Now it's gone, I have no time to retype it, so yeah. :mad:))

The Voivode of Wallachia, upon hearing of his daughter's death, sends an overly apologetic letter to Emperor Alfons, offering up his second daughter Camelia as a potential bride. The letter is so unashamedly submissive that it if the Emperor had requested a thousand Wallachian virgins, he'd probably be granted that request.

((Hopefully this one doesn't die in childbirth. :rolleyes:))

((Perhaps not right now, but who knows what the future holds? ;)))

Any reaction from Hispania would need some time to reach him, but in any case, there was far more to do as Chancellor of such a young nation than to tend to the Hispanians. The Reich had taken one of the best possible paths so far, but he couldn't rest on his laurels. Sitting next to his young king, Montségur welcomed the Lüneburgian dignitaries. After having presented his plan to his cabinet and the parliament, the Germans had agreed that it was the best way to deal with this situation. Good to know that he had their complete trust.
The King embraced his kin from Lüneburg. That both men were von Sponheims would be useful, though certainly not decisive. Judging from the reaction of the duke, Johann was not the only one happy to see his kin. Things settled down, and some minor diplomatic matters discussed before he came to the core of the meeting.

"We see that we agree on many points here. In fact, we have far more in common than there are differences. what would these be? Our faith. But why? Because of Poland. The vile Poles ruled over the duchy of Lüneburg not too long ago, and forced their faith upon its inhabitants, before you were freed by the intervention of the now-defunct Quadruple Entente. Freed as Austria didn't get what they wanted. Blessed with a modern and wise ruler from the line of the von Sponheim. Blessed with peace in the last years. Germans revelling in their regained freedom.
And now, the Germans have their one nation to uphold this freedom. To prevent any foreign power from oppressing our people as the Poles did. We will free more of them. And we would like to count on Lüneburgian assistance. The duchy is wedged between German lands and Bavaria, and this can only cause conflict in the future if we aren't solving it now. We are the same. I ask you to consider joining Germany. Your freedom will be upheld, the duchy stay intact. In a strong state, taking part in its government. No German shall fear oppression in Germany. Peacefully putting together what has to be one. Lüneburgians, make the right decision. You would not abandon anything, only gain from it. Do not let a faith separate us, a faith brought by a foreign conqueror, a faith whose followers shall not be persecuted in Germany. Make the right decision.
Your Grace, join the head of the family. With all this in common - wouldn't His Majesty guarantee that my words are true, that the lands of his kin will continue to flourish, that Lüneburg would do good to join Germany through this agreement?
The details and consequences of such a decision are of course open to discussion, and we are speaking about it here to make the transition as fluent as possible."

The Lüneburgian representatives don't seem overly enthusiastic about the prospect of being integrated into Germany, yet they haven't expressed any definite opposition either. It seems quite clear that the people of Lüneburg need time to think over such a major decision, taking in consideration the religious divide and the threat of Poland to the east. The Duke of Lüneburg does offer to sign an alliance as a first step towards greater ties between the two Sponheim monarchs.

((I'm really annoyed right now, I had a big ol block of text for Fausto going to St. Helena, living for some time and then dying, only to find out he is now a ghost stuck in the Valencia Military Academy. Now it's gone, I have no time to retype it, so yeah. :mad:))

((Paradox has struck again. Well Fausto can always just randomly pop up over the years to haunt the military academy. ;)))

Caterina approached the Emperor privately.

"Your mother's injury has become infected. I do not know if she will get better. She might be willing to see you, but I fear you must force the issue with her."

She also gave a summons to the Count of Pisa on Sophia's behalf, wanting to speak to him ((@BelisariustheGreat ))

Caterina approached the Emperor privately.

"Your mother's injury has become infected. I do not know if she will get better. She might be willing to see you, but I fear you must force the issue with her."

She also gave a summons to the Count of Pisa on Sophia's behalf, wanting to speak to him ((@BelisariustheGreat ))

((Private - Mach Twelve))

The news that Alfons's mother's injury may have gotten more serious was most worrying. He wasn't even sure if she had a doctor treating her. She had always been one to handle such things on her own. He prayed that her strong constitution kept her from succumbing further to this wound. The number of people who got attacked in the palace was alarming. Perhaps a reform of the Guardia Real was in order.

When Alfons arrived at his mother's chambers, he hesitated for a moment. She had not called upon him, and perhaps did not even want him there. That hurt him more than anything. They had been through so much together, and to have his own mother withdraw from him stung deep. Then again, she had suffered a grievous injury. He could not blame her for going into seclusion for a time.

After building up the courage, he knocked sharply on the door. "Mother, are you there?"

The news that Alfons's mother's injury may have gotten more serious was most worrying. He wasn't even sure if she had a doctor treating her. She had always been one to handle such things on her own. He prayed that her strong constitution kept her from succumbing further to this wound. The number of people who got attacked in the palace was alarming. Perhaps a reform of the Guardia Real was in order.

When Alfons arrived at his mother's chambers, he hesitated for a moment. She had not called upon him, and perhaps did not even want him there. That hurt him more than anything. They had been through so much together, and to have his own mother withdraw from him stung deep. Then again, she had suffered a grievous injury. He could not blame her for going into seclusion for a time.

After building up the courage, he knocked sharply on the door. "Mother, are you there?"

The door was quickly opened by Caterina. Seeing the person on the other side, the woman quickly smiled and said.

"I need to go get the doctor to change her bandages, but she would like to see you."

She quickly left, letting Alfons see his mother in the bed. She was in a simple dress on her bed, a bandage wrapped around her shoulder with a line of red showing on the bandage.

"Alfons. Thank God, I thought you would be next. I'm sorry I didn't call for you earlier, but I didn't want to be distracted from your duties. The Empire needs you more than me. My wound bothers me, but I will be fine. But there is another thing that we need to speak about. My attacker said something before he attacked me. Death to the Mandromenoi. My birth House has not had a good fate as of late, in part due to Pausanias's rebellion. I fear my attacker was from Byzantium, perhaps even sent from the Basileus, either of them, to kill the last Mandromenos alive, me. You need to speak to him and have him aid you in apprehending this man. My attacker came from a hallway leading to the Byzantine Embassy, perhaps you should start there."

The door was quickly opened by Caterina. Seeing the person on the other side, the woman quickly smiled and said.

"I need to go get the doctor to change her bandages, but she would like to see you."

She quickly left, letting Alfons see his mother in the bed. She was in a simple dress on her bed, a bandage wrapped around her shoulder with a line of red showing on the bandage.

"Alfons. Thank God, I thought you would be next. I'm sorry I didn't call for you earlier, but I didn't want to be distracted from your duties. The Empire needs you more than me. My wound bothers me, but I will be fine. But there is another thing that we need to speak about. My attacker said something before he attacked me. Death to the Mandromenoi. My birth House has not had a good fate as of late, in part due to Pausanias's rebellion. I fear my attacker was from Byzantium, perhaps even sent from the Basileus, either of them, to kill the last Mandromenos alive, me. You need to speak to him and have him aid you in apprehending this man. My attacker came from a hallway leading to the Byzantine Embassy, perhaps you should start there."

"I shall do my best to find the one's responsible," Alfons said.

The Emperor stayed with his mother for a bit, thankful at last that she let him see her. He did not spend long there, for his mind could rest while the one responsible was still at large and he had a clue as to who it was. He immediately wrote a letter to the Basileus in Constantinople seeking answers. He did not believe the man responsible, for surely the worst thing they could do after such tensions between Hispania and Byzantium was to attack a member of the Hispanian royal family. When he finally received a reply, his mind was slightly placed at ease, but it also alerted him to the seriousness of the threat to his mother.

Ynh2abZ.jpg

I am most distressed to hear that the Empress Dowager was attacked by someone wishing ill upon her house. The fact that the culprit may be Greek also shames me, especially since I easily can believe that to be the case. The recent civil war has not left much fondness for the Mandromenoi. I fear many Greeks blame them for the conflict after my father crushed the rebellion. It may not have helped the matter that my father also ordered that Pausanias and his sons be tracked down and brought to justice. I can assure you that my father never had designs on targeting the rest of Pausanias's relatives, let alone the Mandromenoi in Hispania. I'm afraid that the mob mentality may have gotten to people, for we have had instances of people associated with the Mandromenoi being attacked in the streets and meeting gruesome fates. I assure you that I have done what I can to keep this in check, but I never imagined that anyone would target the Hispanian branch, let alone the Empress Dowager of Hispania. If you truly believe the culprit is a native Greek, you have my full permission to do whatever necessary to find them if the search leads you to Byzantium. I wish nothing but cooperation between our two peoples.

- Basileus Romanos V of Byzantium

The Lüneburgian representatives don't seem overly enthusiastic about the prospect of being integrated into Germany, yet they haven't expressed any definite opposition either. It seems quite clear that the people of Lüneburg need time to think over such a major decision, taking in consideration the religious divide and the threat of Poland to the east. The Duke of Lüneburg does offer to sign an alliance as a first step towards greater ties between the two Sponheim monarchs.

This seems to be an acceptable compromise for the German Chancellor. An alliance would be signed, though he made somewhat vague allusions to the threat of Poland soon being gone. Then Lüneburg would have had enough time to think. May the bonds grow over these years to soon be one.

Nicolás was tired, but there was still work to do, financial report to go through and letters to write. Nicolás was found in the morning, having worked tirelessly to the end of his life.

((New character))
Name: Martí de Alvaro
Date of birth: 8th of March 1730
Class: Landed Noble
House: de Alvaro
Religion: CJC Catholic
Bio: Being groomed in the art of war, diplomacy and noble affairs like the rest before him, Martí was ready to take over his fathers duties to Hispania, he knew his father would soon pass away, but the passing still came as a shock. Nevertheless he immediately assumed his duties as Grand Duke.
Having followed his late father to as much of the political meetings as possible, he welcomed the changes in Hispanias government early, and was intrigued by the new system of government, wanting to take part of it as much as possible.

@zenphoenix
sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif
My friend,
Seeing as my father and his fathers before him supported the common people, and I like to follow in their footsteps, I request to join the Partido Reconquista, because the ideology of the party resonates with my own beliefs and I believe that together we can make Hispania even stronger.

Well met,
Martí de Alvaro, Grand Duke of Sardina, Corsica and Albenga

When John received a letter from the Emporers mother many question appeared in his head but he wrote back that he would come as fast as he could to speak with her. after he had sent this letter he called for a carriage that brought him to Livorno and in Livorno he went on a ship and sailed towards Valencia.

After twoweeks of sailing he arrived in Valencia and in the Palace of the Emporer.

Your request is granted.

May we work together for a brighter future for Hispania and its people,
Alejandro de Leon