• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
219px-Gules_a_fess_argent.svg.png

After much consideration, we have decided that the continuation of hostilities cannot be tolerated any longer. We are thus willing to concede all four contested provinces, including Cremona. We believe a betrothal between our son Johann Leopold and the Princess Sophia will serve best to restore the ties that have been lost in this most unfortunate conflict. We are eager to receive your response on this matter.

- His Majesty, Archduke Ferdinand III von Habsburg of Austria

I must graciously thank you for your deeds at this moments, in the name of peace, for war between our nations is not in either of our favor. I shall tell the court of this immediately. As to the betrothal, as I am not the guardian of the young Sophia, I believe I am not the source in negotiation of such a thing. I point in your direction the Empress Dowager, for she is her mother.

In good faith, and hope of a better future,
The Count of Florence.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased the announce that the Austrians have complied to return our rightful lands to us. Finally, prace and prosperity can continue everforth in our age, and better times for our nation are surely coming."

Flag: #3
The Parliament Act of 1755: Yes
Reform of the Cortz Act: Yes
The Trans-Atlantic Trading Company Restraint Act: Yes
Imperial Governance Act: Abstain
The Security of the Capital Act: Yes
The Regency Act: Yes
Austrian Peace Offer: Refuse
Byzantium Civil War: Intervene
Villanova Trial (Council Only): Mercy
Montségur Family Trial (Council Only): House Arrest

Cortz Vote: William Augustus Von Politz, Sancho Bartelo Barros Etxeto

[Chancellor, Landed Noble]

Flag: ]No Change
The Parliament Act of 1755: No
Reform of the Cortz Act: No
Imperial Governance Act: Abstain
Austrian Peace Offer: Refuse

Cortz (Nobles Only - Pick 2): Alejandro de Leon, William Augustus von Pölitz

The intention and will of Prince Duke Matthias I of Belmonte and the Northern Mountains in the vote of 1755, let it be so.
Should the crown, or associated bodies, wish to question his serene highness on matters, they are welcome to present such queries.

As we have discussed with your Chancellor, we are willing to concede all four contested provinces, including Cremona. To ensure a return to pleasant relations, we wish to arrange a betrothal between our son Johann Leopold and your daughter Sophia. We hope that this arrangement may bring an end to this unfortunate conflict.

Before I make my decision, I would like some information.

How old is your son, and is he your heir?

Before I make my decision, I would like some information.

How old is your son, and is he your heir?

Johann Leopold is indeed our son and heir. He is, at the moment, twelve years of age, which we believe is six years the senior of your daughter, making it an optimal match.

Johann Leopold is indeed our son and heir. He is, at the moment, twelve years of age, which we believe is six years the senior of your daughter, making it an optimal match.

Indeed.

I will allow this marriage, but I have two conditions.

First, the marriage is not to occur until my daughter's fifteenth birthday.

Second, to help restore the bond our nations shared, Johann must spent the three years between now and his coming of age in Hispania to learn of our Empire. My daughter will spend four months a year, most likely the summers, in Austria as well until the marriage, a similar amount of time overall but spread out due to having more time available to do so.

Reactions:
Indeed.

I will allow this marriage, but I have two conditions.

First, the marriage is not to occur until my daughter's fifteenth birthday.

Second, to help restore the bond our nations shared, Johann must spent the three years between now and his coming of age in Hispania to learn of our Empire. My daughter will spend four months a year, most likely the summers, in Austria as well until the marriage, a similar amount of time overall but spread out due to having more time available to do so.

We would desire for no official date to be set for the marriage, although we shall consent to it in principle. ((Depending on when the next Austrian heir is born, the marriage may have to occur earlier, but otherwise it is fine.))

The second arrangement is mostly acceptable. We only ask that Johann instead spend four months of the year in Hispania, similar to Sophia spending time in Austria, so that we shall have time to properly prepare him for the throne during the other eight months of each year. A three year absence is not preferable for that, but having him spend time in Hispania over a staggered period until the wedding will allow for it.

((I began writing this as soon as I saw von Politz's declaration. An entire letter exchange has passed, though, so put it where you will.))
When Velazquez heard of the Chancellor's weak peace offer towards a cruel traitor, he quietly bid his servants away, and locked his door. Ten minutes later, very little furniture remained.

"Distinguished members of the court, the Chancellor has just concluded a deal with the Habsurgs. Which Habsurgs? None other but those who assisted the traitor Montsegur not twenty years ago.

First, must make clear what laws have been broken from this covert intrigue to reestablish ties with those who would see us burn. The Recognition and Acknowledgement of the Obvious Lack of Transparency and Openness within His Imperial Majesties' Small Council and the Attempt to Exterminate it in Order to Stop and Eliminate Possible Fraudulent and Corrupt Behaviors Act has been broken, perhaps ironically by he who first petitioned for it.

Second, I must object to the notion of alliance with the Kings of Vienna. Not as retribution or punishment for their great crimes, but as simple security for the Hispanian people. This is a kingdom which has no objection to leaguing with our rebels and enemies. They have no objection occupying land of an ally. They have no problem murdering thousands of Hispanians on their rampage through Italy. Ask the weeping mother, what happens to those who killed her son? Ask the toiling father, what will happen to those who burnt his fields? Tell the wailing wife, where is justice for her husband? This was no act of war. It was a crime, going against rules older than any kingdom, against Commandments set down by God.

*he kneels*

Your Majesty, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks, Savior of Hispania, Vanquisher of the Phoenix, God-ordained Alfons IX. You have the power to save Hispania from unworthy allies. Please, Your Majesty, I beg of you, and the Court, that this affair with Austria be terminated. I previously wished that provinces be taken from them adn given to our virtuos allies in France, and as compensation for the devastation left in Italy, and I still believe that would be the just action. But I now understand that not everything in politics can be just.

So I simply plead, for the protection of Hispania and its people, we must not, cannot, join hands with those that would destroy us.
Francisco_de_Zurbarán_053.jpg

((I began writing this as soon as I saw von Politz's declaration. An entire letter exchange has passed, though, so put it where you will.))
When Velazquez heard of the Chancellor's weak peace offer towards a cruel traitor, he quietly bid his servants away, and locked his door. Ten minutes later, very little furniture remained.

"Distinguished members of the court, the Chancellor has just concluded a deal with the Habsurgs. Which Habsurgs? None other but those who assisted the traitor Montsegur not twenty years ago.

First, must make clear what laws have been broken from this covert intrigue to reestablish ties with those who would see us burn. The Recognition and Acknowledgement of the Obvious Lack of Transparency and Openness within His Imperial Majesties' Small Council and the Attempt to Exterminate it in Order to Stop and Eliminate Possible Fraudulent and Corrupt Behaviors Act has been broken, perhaps ironically by he who first petitioned for it.

Second, I must object to the notion of alliance with the Kings of Vienna. Not as retribution or punishment for their great crimes, but as simple security for the Hispanian people. This is a kingdom which has no objection to leaguing with our rebels and enemies. They have no objection occupying land of an ally. They have no problem murdering thousands of Hispanians on their rampage through Italy. Ask the weeping mother, what happens to those who killed her son? Ask the toiling father, what will happen to those who burnt his fields? Tell the wailing wife, where is justice for her husband? This was no act of war. It was a crime, going against rules older than any kingdom, against Commandments set down by God.

*he kneels*

Your Majesty, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks, Savior of Hispania, Vanquisher of the Phoenix, God-ordained Alfons IX. You have the power to save Hispania from unworthy allies. Please, Your Majesty, I beg of you, and the Court, that this affair with Austria be terminated. I previously wished that provinces be taken from them adn given to our virtuos allies in France, and as compensation for the devastation left in Italy, and I still believe that would be the just action. But I now understand that not everything in politics can be just.

So I simply plead, for the protection of Hispania and its people, we must not, cannot, join hands with those that would destroy us.
Francisco_de_Zurbarán_053.jpg

JpsioAG.png

It is better to forgive than to continue to bear such hatred towards those we once called our friends. We must prove the stronger in our commitment to peace, and we must not forget that the Austrians stood by us for centuries. One mistake should not destroy such a strong alliance, especially when there are signs it can be salvaged. If the Chancellor has indeed managed to find a way to achieve peace, something all Hispanian should desire after so much bloodshed, and without losing rightful land of Hispania's, then it is a path we should pursue. It should also be mentioned that since we are actively at war with Austria, negotiations with Austria are to be expected of the Chancellor. I do not consider him to have broken such a law unless he were to unilaterally sign such a peace without presenting it to the court. It would not do for all our diplomatic negogations to be openly aired before the court at all stages. Such an action would be inefficient and damaging to the privacy needed during such times.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

We would desire for no official date to be set for the marriage, although we shall consent to it in principle. ((Depending on when the next Austrian heir is born, the marriage may have to occur earlier, but otherwise it is fine.))

The second arrangement is mostly acceptable. We only ask that Johann instead spend four months of the year in Hispania, similar to Sophia spending time in Austria, so that we shall have time to properly prepare him for the throne during the other eight months of each year. A three year absence is not preferable for that, but having him spend time in Hispania over a staggered period until the wedding will allow for it.

I accept your amendments.

Personally, I find that our winters are quite mild compared to Austria's. Perhaps Johann would like to spend them here?

Empress Dowager Sophia de Trastamara, Prime Minister and Viceroy Superior of Hispania

I agree with our Court Chaplain in the matters of Government Transparency. The details of this deal were kept secret from even from me, until my daughters hand in marriage was being considered. I must ask that all members of the Small Council, or the Cabinet as it may be called now, to be open on their activities. While the Chancellor may need a degree of secrecy, the Assembly and the Cortz that we will form should be able to keep those secrets. If they cannot, I suppose we can have troops ensure their silence.

As for the Austrians, the war must end, this much is clear. Many have died to the Austrian, but Austrians have died to us as well. Although it is distasteful, we must move on and not dwell too much in the past. To help those that have suffered in the war, I ask that the Treasury open its vaults and take loans if needed to0 send aid to the areas affected by this tragedy. Let all know that Emperor Alfons is a just and kind ruler!

I accept your amendments.

Personally, I find that our winters are quite mild compared to Austria's. Perhaps Johann would like to spend them here?

Empress Dowager Sophia de Trastamara, Prime Minister and Viceroy Superior of Hispania

Then it is settled. We find this agreement acceptable and shall arrange the return of the contested provinces upon the signing of a treaty. The betrothal of Johann and Sophia shall be officially arranged. Sophia shall spend the summers in Austria and Johann shall spend the winters in Hispania. We look forward to the reunion between our two peoples.

((Pretty much at this point, the Emperor just has to agree to it.))

((Private))
Velazqeuz bowed and exited, keeping his head low so that few could see the tears that welled up in his eyes. Tears for Hispania.

Sophia frowned as the letter came to her. She did not like it, but she knew it was needed. It was naive of her to believe that the sacrifices would end with the civil war, it seemed. Her son's innocence of the price of his freedom and safety. It also gave her a position to claim to the others that the Imperials were the righteous cause of fighting for the Emperor.
Now it seemed her daughter would pay the price next.

Sophia passed the papers on to her son, and awaited his response.

Sophia frowned as the letter came to her. She did not like it, but she knew it was needed. It was naive of her to believe that the sacrifices would end with the civil war, it seemed. Her son's innocence of the price of his freedom and safety. It also gave her a position to claim to the others that the Imperials were the righteous cause of fighting for the Emperor.
Now it seemed her daughter would pay the price next.

Sophia passed the papers on to her son, and awaited his response.

JpsioAG.png

I have here a proposed agreement from Austria. They shall return the territory they stole from us, and in turn my sister Sophia shall be betrothed to the heir to the Austrian throne, something to ensure an end to all hostilities and maintain peace in the future. It is time we bring an end to this bloodshed so that the Empire may prosper. The Phoenixes are defeated, our allies have returned to the fold, and now we may begin to rebuild. I concur with my mother that the treasury be opened to help pay for the rebuilding effort and to provide for those families that have suffered the most.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((Private))
Velazqeuz bowed and exited, keeping his head low so that few could see the tears that welled up in his eyes. Tears for Hispania.

A letter was sent to the Cardinal, unsigned.

I noticed your disapproval towards the Austrian Reconciliation. You are not alone. Meet me at this location in the Viceroy's Department if you want to consider options with me.

((Private))
Velazquez went to the room he had been recommended towards by the letter, unsure what would happen.

((Private))

As the time wore on, and it seemed that the letter was a hoax, a woman walked in the room.

She appeared to be in her forties, and dressed as a servant. Many would know her as a maid within the Imperials Family's Residence, the most protected part of the palace, but only the most observant.

"Greetings, Father. It will warm the Mistress's heart to know that you have come here. My name is Caterina. My Mistress has a simple question for you. Circumstances may have forced her to make a hard choice, one all loyal Hispanians would disagree with, but she intends to see it through. But that is not what concerns her. Threats to the Emperor exists beyond the Austrians. My Mistress wants to know, if needed would you side with her for the good of the Empire, regardless of the circumstances it may be in or what may be required?"

((Vote closing time.

Flag: N/A
The Parliament Act of 1755: Yes
Reform of the Cortz Act: Yes
Imperial Governance Act: Yes
Austrian Peace Offer: N/A

Cortz (Nobles Only - Pick 2): N/A

Villanova Trial (Council Only): Exile
Montségur Family Trial (Council Only): Revoke Titles & House Arrest

You may notice the weird results for the flag vote. That's because none of the choices had a clear majority. Based on the results, we'll have another vote between adopting Flag #2 or keeping the current one. Also, the Austrian vote really doesn't matter anymore because a peace treaty has been signed different from the one proposed for the vote. The Cortz vote is similar in that the Reform of the Cortz Act makes it irrelevant. zenphoenix and Dadarian would have won if anyone is curious. Fausto Villanova will now be exiled to the colonies. St. Helena is always a good choice. :D As for the Montségur family, they shall lose their titles and the most prominent members shall be placed under house arrest. If you're wondering how I figured out the results of that vote, I just counted up the VP of everyone involved and any result that had over half the total VP passed.

I shall be getting to the playthrough shortly. I might have to tweak the rules a bit to fit these new laws.))