• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((At the start, they determine who gets what provinces. After the war begins, players can attempt whatever they feel is logical. I'm leaving it up to the players to attempt things to gain resources, support, etc. I'll just do the rolls. So for example, since you mentioned levies, a noble could attempt to rally support from their home provinces to boost manpower. I'm thinking of letting each player be able to attempt one action per turn, with a chance of success based on what the action is. Of course this should wait until after the war starts since I've just finished setting up the initial stage and having to adjust things again will be a nuisance. :D))

(( Duly noted. Thanks for clearing those things up!
I wanted to do something with my noble family member (as you might have expected) but in this case I'll wait until after the update, since I'd hate to burden you with more work, especially since you just finished. And I think I already have you enough work for one update, with the TATC and FML (Still laughing at this xD), Arabia and Gilbert...
So I will take this opportunity to thank you for putting so much effort into the AAR to make it as fun and fair for everyone, because I feel that your work is at least slightly underappreciated. ))

((The government map would have helped before I mistakenly spoke to the Swedish king :p. At least he's neutral.
Keeping the save file would be the way to go IMHO. What CB would you use? I think 'Enforce PU' or any other that has the wargoal to control the capital would be best suited. Not because I hold it ( :eek: ), but because the conflict should be firmly centered in Iberia.
And I can only agree with 05.))

Montségur read the responses to his requests, slightly disappointed. ((curse my luck.)) Catholics were even more hopeless than he thought. He had made a deal with the Austrian devil, Sweden remained neutral, and France? The court was intrigued - now he had to force their hand. Though certainly not through his wife as intermediary, returning to reside in Bourbon for the duration of the civil war. What he would propose will hardly be trusted should a Valois propose it. Before preparing his letter, he decided to have that Deist philosopher fool executed as soon as they got hold of him. What did he expect, having elections held during the damned war, when strong leadership was a determining factor deciding of success and failure?

He once again publicly declared that the title of Lord Dictator would be forfeited as soon as Hispania was pacified and united under one strong government, a government that would be constitutional in its form, elections among both the common people and the nobility determining the leadership of the nation, with only the decision about declarations of war being in the hands of the military, as well as a veto against anything threatening Hispania's fundamental principles of tolerance, free thought and, then, constitutionalism.
Anyone declaring him an usurper who wishes to seize all power himself should look at Byzantium. Mandromenos was doing that, yet nobody cared. He wasn't doing that. It was only a way of the Imperials to justify their own power.

Most esteemed Court of the French Empire, you have the fortune to enjoy a constitution guaranteeing your rights, your influence, and standing in the way of abuse of power. France had the wisdom to see that the empire cannot be reigned against the opposition of its people, and with the nation's history of rebellions, knew that reforms had to be made. For this, I can only envy the progressive France, for Hispania has slept through any modernization of its government, two centuries unchanged, any proposals of a constitution strangled as soon as they were formed.
Before it becomes worse, I had to act. Phoenix stands for the future, hence its name. Yet Hispania's ancient government will do all possible to enforce its will. In the end, it only is a danger for you, shall Hispania win. His Imperial Highness Charles VIII has made it clear that he views the civil war with discontent. That it can sever the ties between Hispania and France - stay assured that it can do exactly the contrary. The French Constitution is a shining example for the world, one that we can and will forge our own on. But about the ties, there are three possible scenarios I can imagine:
France stays neutral. Shall the Imperials win, they will view you with distrust for your non-intervention. Shall Phoenix win, our ties will strengthen due to us following your example.
France intervenes on Phoenix' side. The ties between our people shall never break.
France intervenes for the Imperials. Seeing constitutionalism squashed, Charles VIII can use Hispania's might to his advantage, and abolish your rights, tear apart the constitution limiting him.

As I see it, there is one scenario that has few risks, but can end both positive and negative. One scenario that has purely beneficial effects. And one that can cause the end of all you have achieved. I trust that you make the right choice, and use all your powers to put France on the right course.
Lord Dictator Alexandre César de Montségur of Phoenix

((I assume you mean Enlightened Despotism because Bureaucratic Despotism is a republican government. :p))

I thank you, Marshal, for securing Castile. I was worried my more distant family there would be harmed. I pray we shall be able to hold the region. I shall ensure you are properly rewarded when this whole mess is over.

I also concur with you both. A balance must be found. We need a government that both has the power to act but also fairly represents the people of Hispania. I would prefer a constitution of sorts to solidify the balance of powers, but really any reform will do that at least provides the people with better representation. Perhaps some sort of advisory body for the people to present ideas and legislation to the Crown with its members selected by the people rather than relying solely on the court as has been done for centuries. It is clear that any such changes to the government must be done carefully, for we must ensure it is done right.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((I'm willing to change our government to enlightened despotism at the end of the war, even though it's probably a decade or two before it unlocks in-game. I mean I technically allowed revolutionary governments to be a possibility in 1700, so why not. :p))

((Yeah. Enlightened Despotism. For the Imperials.))

LETTER TO THE IMPERIAL HOUSEHOLD
((Private))
As Your Majesty is most certainly aware, the rise of the Fenixists may represent the darkest excesses of the "traditional society" which has become a proudly espoused element of the Royal Court. They are a faction of vile men whose sole goal is the attainment of only greater wealth and power - even if it comes at the expense of others, particularly the free peoples of Hispania. It has become evident, therefore, that steps must be taken in order to reject and defeat these forces of evil, and in the interests of attaining those ends, I present Your Majesty with a proposal to bolster popular support for the rightful government against the dangerous men who threaten not only the fabric of our nation's society, but above all, its people.

Thus, I humbly suggest that Your Majesty takes the course of immediacy and takes this opportunity to achieve both pinnacles of rulership - purity of spirit, as well as effective leadership - and publishes a decree offering a simple, fair, and righteous bargain for those lowly men who comprise this fair nation: that all who volunteer to join with those forces in service to the Crown shall be granted complete and inviolable freedom from serfdom.

Deus está connosco,
EiCmqTq.png

((The government map would have helped before I mistakenly spoke to the Swedish king :p. At least he's neutral.
Keeping the save file would be the way to go IMHO. What CB would you use? I think 'Enforce PU' or any other that has the wargoal to control the capital would be best suited. Not because I hold it ( :eek: ), but because the conflict should be firmly centered in Iberia.
And I can only agree with 05.))

Montségur read the responses to his requests, slightly disappointed. ((curse my luck.)) Catholics were even more hopeless than he thought. He had made a deal with the Austrian devil, Sweden remained neutral, and France? The court was intrigued - now he had to force their hand. Though certainly not through his wife as intermediary, returning to reside in Bourbon for the duration of the civil war. What he would propose will hardly be trusted should a Valois propose it. Before preparing his letter, he decided to have that Deist philosopher fool executed as soon as they got hold of him. What did he expect, having elections held during the damned war, when strong leadership was a determining factor deciding of success and failure?

He once again publicly declared that the title of Lord Dictator would be forfeited as soon as Hispania was pacified and united under one strong government, a government that would be constitutional in its form, elections among both the common people and the nobility determining the leadership of the nation, with only the decision about declarations of war being in the hands of the military, as well as a veto against anything threatening Hispania's fundamental principles of tolerance, free thought and, then, constitutionalism.
Anyone declaring him an usurper who wishes to seize all power himself should look at Byzantium. Mandromenos was doing that, yet nobody cared. He wasn't doing that. It was only a way of the Imperials to justify their own power.

Most esteemed Court of the French Empire, you have the fortune to enjoy a constitution guaranteeing your rights, your influence, and standing in the way of abuse of power. France had the wisdom to see that the empire cannot be reigned against the opposition of its people, and with the nation's history of rebellions, knew that reforms had to be made. For this, I can only envy the progressive France, for Hispania has slept through any modernization of its government, two centuries unchanged, any proposals of a constitution strangled as soon as they were formed.
Before it becomes worse, I had to act. Phoenix stands for the future, hence its name. Yet Hispania's ancient government will do all possible to enforce its will. In the end, it only is a danger for you, shall Hispania win. His Imperial Highness Charles VIII has made it clear that he views the civil war with discontent. That it can sever the ties between Hispania and France - stay assured that it can do exactly the contrary. The French Constitution is a shining example for the world, one that we can and will forge our own on. But about the ties, there are three possible scenarios I can imagine:
France stays neutral. Shall the Imperials win, they will view you with distrust for your non-intervention. Shall Phoenix win, our ties will strengthen due to us following your example.
France intervenes on Phoenix' side. The ties between our people shall never break.
France intervenes for the Imperials. Seeing constitutionalism squashed, Charles VIII can use Hispania's might to his advantage, and abolish your rights, tear apart the constitution limiting him.

As I see it, there is one scenario that has few risks, but can end both positive and negative. One scenario that has purely beneficial effects. And one that can cause the end of all you have achieved. I trust that you make the right choice, and use all your powers to put France on the right course.

((I dug up the annex CB from the game files. The war goal is taking the capital, and it fits how the war will end, although I'll be ending the war by event anyway.))

The French Court mostly shares this sentiment, favouring the constitutionalism trumpeted by the Phoenixes. While the Emperor may favour the Imperials, his court continues to prevents him from committing France to their side. Neutrality is the only option until one side caves, and at the moment neither seems inclined to change their minds. It seems only a major change in circumstances will force that.

((RNGesus favoured you this time, so the French court has blocked joining the Imperials, although joining the Phoenixes is unlikely without the Emperor's support. Something could always happen to change their minds later.))

LETTER TO THE IMPERIAL HOUSEHOLD
((Private))
As Your Majesty is most certainly aware, the rise of the Fenixists may represent the darkest excesses of the "traditional society" which has become a proudly espoused element of the Royal Court. They are a faction of vile men whose sole goal is the attainment of only greater wealth and power - even if it comes at the expense of others, particularly the free peoples of Hispania. It has become evident, therefore, that steps must be taken in order to reject and defeat these forces of evil, and in the interests of attaining those ends, I present Your Majesty with a proposal to bolster popular support for the rightful government against the dangerous men who threaten not only the fabric of our nation's society, but above all, its people.

Thus, I humbly suggest that Your Majesty takes the course of immediacy and takes this opportunity to achieve both pinnacles of rulership - purity of spirit, as well as effective leadership - and publishes a decree offering a simple, fair, and righteous bargain for those lowly men who comprise this fair nation: that all who volunteer to join with those forces in service to the Crown shall be granted complete and inviolable freedom from serfdom.

Deus está connosco,
EiCmqTq.png

Emperor Alfons IX shares the letter with his fellow Imperials. When they are gathered all together, or contacted by letter on the matter, he asks, "What do you all think of this proposal? Personally, the practice of serfdom is outdated and a hindrance that should be removed anyway. It has also given some of the nobles unprecedented control of the people in their lands, a problem that now arises. I suggest we follow this advice and abolish the whole practice. I am keen to know what you all think of this matter, especially Chamberlain Alvaro, for as the representative of the nobility you should best know how the nobles will react."

The Grande Armada and Asiatic Armada had mostly sat forgotten in port during the early stages of the conflict. With the Empire's only noticeable admiral remaining neutral and setting sail for China, no one attempted to claim them. In the end, the order from the late Grand Admiral arrived without interference. With both ports firmly in Imperial hands, both fleets fell under their control. Of course, the ships were in no shape to set sail, for they had been mothballed for years. Once they were ready to set sail, the Imperials would clearly dominate the seas.

((And the vote is officially closed. Those who picked a side are now locked into it. Neutral players may still pick a side at a later date, but their influence will be greatly reduced, meaning they won't contribute as much in way of resources, armies, or navies. Obviously I won't be showing any results for the vote here, seeing as that will be decided by what follows. Now I'm going to do a short playthrough to get everything in place. I'll probably play until February of 1753, perhaps later, since that will give time to move the navies sailing about to port where they should be. A problem also arose where Aragon starts with the 1444 units when released, so they need time to get their morale back up, since it would be unfair to start the war when they have no morale because of some game mechanic. It should also give enough time to make it so the forts aren't completely empty, although still low on garrison. Anyway, once at that point, I shall trigger the war and end the playthrough. What I think I'll do then is post a mix of updates. The main update will contain common knowledge that both sides will know. I will then do mini-updates that will be shared privately with each side. These will contain troop positions, resources, finances, etc that only that side should know. I'm also not going to be posting the save file to ensure no one but me knows where all the troops are. As mentioned earlier, I will ensure none of my characters are involved in ordering armies around to ensure fairness, even if one leads an army. In a bit, I will set up private PM groups for each side where the members of those side may send me private orders and where I'll share information exclusive to that side. You can request any information you want that would be accessible to your side through there. As I stated earlier, each player shall have one order they may give, either through these private chats or in-thread where they can attempt to gain extra ducats, manpower, etc. Please wait until after the update before sending any more orders. All of these will require a roll and the results will be posted in this thread. These orders do not include diplomacy or troop movements, which each side can conduct as much as they want. Now here's hoping Napoleon (that's what I call my laptop :p) cooperates today. He tends to get cranky when exiled for too long. :D

Forgot about the 6 people per chat thing. I can't fit all the Imperials in one chat, so I may have to make two and find some way to share info between them.

Edit: I just realized I forgot to explain how VP is being used. I used the VP for people on both sides to determine the percentage of resources each side gets. I gave out the manpower and ducats in the treasury based entirely on the percentage of VP they controlled. For those who voted neutral, resources were denied to either side as a result. The VP of those characters who did not vote at all and were thus neutral were not counted.))

Last edited:
"We are in need of change, dire change. Shown kindly by Sicilian menace. If we are to survive, we must adapt to our current circumstances. We are in of new ideas fromt he rest of the mainland, the ideas of now, of the Enlightened. The ambition of the nobility is shown in our former Deputy, and we must have one to bear to load of this nation, and there should be none other than you." He looked to his Emperor. "Rule with today's ideals, rule with today's ideas, and glory shall come, even more than now. I trust in you to make the correct choice, being gifted by the Higher One, but I have my beliefs, in an Enlightened Autocracy. Rule like the Autokrators of our subjects, the Greeks, and with the the ideas of the current-day, and we shall find victory in this war."

1752-1753 – The Hispanian Civil War (Part I)

As those loyal to the Emperor fled the capital and the events of the Hispanian Civil War went into motion, the Greeks went at each other’s throats. Pausanias Mandromenos raised arms against the Basileus. With Hispania embroiled in its own civil war, no aid would be sent for now. The Basileus seemed in deep trouble, greatly outnumbered with rebels roaming all across Byzantium.

As for Hispania itself, figures for both side moved into action to secure as much of the Empire for their own faction. The Imperials rallied behind the Emperor, while the Phoenixes sided with Alexandre César de Montségur. With Montségur having secured the capital for now, the surrounding Crown lands fell in line. However, this was all of Aragon he would secure. The Sonetas remained quiet, providing implicit support for the Emperor, while the Etxetos locked themselves away in Navarra as usual. The Saint-Pierres in Roussillon rallied behind the Emperor, although their TATC counterpart had disappeared for now.

In Castile, the support of the Trastámaras and Leon provided a solid base for Imperial support, but that did not stop Field Marshal Fausto Villanova from contesting that. He rushed to claim the Exercit Madrid, which would make control of the land less important with the army in Phoenix hands. Leon proved his equal in this manner and managed to keep most of the army out of his hands, although half of the Exercit Madrid returned to Aragon with Villanova.

Galicia proved a contentious issue. Juan Yagüe de Blanco, the Count of Galicia and a general serving Montségur, secured his own home for the Phoenixes, but he found efforts to secure Portugal thwarted by the Galicians. Renowned philosopher Cibrán Rodrigo Paulo Afonso Arceo created a militia within Galicia after the declaration by Montségur of a dictatorship. Hounded by his own people, Blanco was unable to make further pushes into Portugal, stopping short of Lisboa.

Italy was quite divided. Central Italy and Naples remained firmly in Imperial control, as the Crown Prince secured the region as the main base for the Imperial cause. The announcement by the Pope in support of the Emperor and the support of the Duke of Sardinia surely helped. Despite this, Sicily was staunchly Phoenix, loyal to Montségur to the end. The Phoenixes also managed to make a move on Northern Italy before the Imperials could react. Villanova used his connections in Provence to secure the allegiance of the Exercit Provence, which ensured the surrounding area remained under Phoenix control despite the local lords attempting to remain neutral. Sending Blanco to Firenze managed to get the Exercit Firenze on the Phoenix’s side, securing what remained of Northern Italy for their cause. Both sides managed to secure some trade fleets, with the Flota Genoa docking in Northern Italy and being captured for the Phoenixes and the Flota Venice being called to the Emperor’s cause.

Athens and the Greek lands remained faithful to the Emperor, for the Empress Dowager was from Athens. Despite Montségur’s attempt to instill loyal men in the upper ranks of the army, the majority of the soldiers were Greeks and had strong ties to the region. Hatred of the Greeks on the Phoenix side greatly impact their decision to side with the Imperials, especially due to the fact that lines of communication from Valencia were practically non-existent at this point.

Africa ended up being almost an entirely Trans-Atlantic Trading Company matter. The bulk of the company heads backed the Phoenixes, but not all of them. The TATC leadership moved quickly to secure the continent. The Exercit Africa was one of the first to be bought, so they did not side with the Emperor. The surrounding area of Tunis, Algeria, and Libya fell in line as well. All of East Africa sided with the Phoenixes, and the capture of the Flota Aden gave them a small fleet to use. However, those still loyal to the Crown gathered together as the Free Merchants League. Before the TATC heads could act, the FML had managed to bring West and South Africa under their control. They then struck for Morocco, where they fought a bitter battle against the TATC for control. The Straits of Gibraltar and the west coast of Morocco went Imperial, and the FML made gains eastward, although they got stuck at Fez. Egypt was another matter. The arrival of Gilbert de Saint-Pierre and him taking up leadership of the Exercit Jerusalem rallied the region to him and the Imperial cause. All of Egypt, including the Suez Canal, remained loyal to the Emperor. When the Flota Alexandria docked in port in the region, it was commandeered for the Imperial cause.

All of this vying for power and for a better position occurred over a period of a few months. During this time, the world still moved on. ((All the events of this coup that happened in this iAAR leading up to this update are to be considered as having happened over the period of this update. It explains the gap I needed to get everything in position and get morale up to normal for the Phoenixes.))

A few days after the breakout of the civil war, Yemen finished its war with Hejaz. The holy city of Mecca was now theirs. Meanwhile, Ming was absolutely getting trounced by Delhi, a situation only made worse when Manchu declared war.

The Basileus found an unexpected ally in his fight against Pausanias Mandromenos. The Archduke of Austria personally led troops right into Slavonia and attacked the rebel army in the province. No one was sure of his intentions, although it was well known that the Austrians hated Pausanias as the one who had caused Hungary to lose land. The official reasoning was that Austria could not tolerate rebels on its or Hungary’s borders, but this seemed flimsy at best. Something else was at work here. ((Lol, not sure why Austria decided to attack Byzantium’s rebels, but it fits the story. :p))

As for the Basileus, he managed to recruit a general to his cause, one Philemon Kaukadenos, who led the Greek army against the rebels in Anatolia first, where they were lower in numbers. He managed to push them from Ankara, but did not secure a definite victory. It was also revealed at this time what Basileus Demetrios’s strategy was: hiring mercenaries and lots of them. Thousands of men were handed ducats from the treasury to fight against the pretender and secure Byzantium for the Palaiologoi family.

As the mercenaries gathered in Greece, General Kaukadenos attacked another rebel force near Trebizond. Yet again, he managed to push them from the region without eliminating them entirely. Rebels were spreading across the Empire and Byzantium was in trouble.

While the Greek Civil War raged on, the Hispanian Civil War finally ramped up. Both sides were set and ready to go at each other. Both the colonies and Byzantium refused to get involved. The Greeks were far too busy fighting each other to even consider getting involved at this point, while the colonies stated that they were only obligated to fight against external enemies and refused to pick a side. However, the Phoenixes had one more surprise up their sleeve. Austria officially announced its support for the Phoenix cause and prepared their army in Italy to march on Naples. This greatly improved the numbers for the Phoenix cause. The Imperials were in trouble, for they were greatly outnumbered, although they maintained naval supremacy for now.

Circumstances soon changed as the conditions of Austria’s involvement were revealed. All lands from Parma to Romagna were to be ceded to Austria immediately, with more promised at the conclusion of the war. Some of Byzantium’s land was even promised at a later date, although the specifics were not revealed. This immediately spurred two separate groups into action. The people of the land being ceded to Austria were not happy at being traded off to a foreign power. Hispanian rule had proven beneficial, if not as good as self-rule. Either way, no one there wanted to be part of Austria. The population immediately announced its support for the Imperials, despite the presence of the Exercit Firenze and an Austrian army so close by. They would not allow themselves to be bartered away so easily. If the Austrians wanted the land, they’d have to conquer it themselves.

The second group of importance to react was the French court. While the Emperor of France remained pro-Imperial, the court leaned towards the Phoenixes. This created a deadlock that prevented France from backing either side. However, this changed with the announcement of the agreement between the Phoenixes and Austria. Many Frenchmen were appalled that Austria would so greedily take land in Italy from its own ally. If they would do that to Hispania, what would stop them from stabbing France in the back under similar circumstances? The French had also started to view themselves as the arbitrators of Europe. During several key peace settlements, they had remained fairly neutral and pushed for a peace that benefitted all involved. More importantly, they had played a role in ensuring a balance between Hispania and Austria in Northern Italy, something the Austrians intended to disrupt. Sentiment at French court started to swing in favour of the Imperials, and Emperor Charles VIII made full use of this. Finally gaining the support he needed, he announced that France formally backed the Imperials. France would defend the Emperor, and in the process fight its own ally Austria. The sides were now a bit more even, at least on land.

((I will be posting mini-updates in private for each side, mostly with spam info. This will be the time to start posting orders, especially for the army and navy. Each faction can also request the recruitment of regiments or ships, and any changes to trade or finances should be suggested. Might be good for each side to raise stability and war taxes. ;) I’d like to have orders in by Sunday at 12PM PST.

I also wish to note that I have raised maintenance on all forts, excluding those in Asia which are not involved. I have also disbanded all armies and navies in Asia for now, but consider them as still existing. I just found it caused unfair financial strain on the Imperials for having to maintain a massive army and navy they couldn’t even make full use of.

This is probably a good time to mention that the first of my classes are starting up next week, so I might be busier than usual and be online less often.))

((A Private Letter to KIng Aleksandr I))

Your Majesty, certainly, you have heard of war in the southern realms, a conflict threateing to engulf all of Europe in the flames of war. It is in such a dry climate like this in Europe, that could allow such possibilities, that I offer you advice. The Austrians are engaged in war in their southern parts, fighting the Byzantines and ourselfs in battle. Their forces are, well, quite certain to thin in the north to supply more troop to more southern fronts. I know that the Poles are not all that friendly to us and of the people of Danube as well. Yet opportunity should not be ignored due to grudges of the past. Revenge against Austrians can come, and friendship, maybe, can come. I hope you recognize the opportunity you have, and not let it slip through your gasp.

Chancellor Von Politz

((A Private Letter to KIng Aleksandr I))

Your Majesty, certainly, you have heard of war in the southern realms, a conflict threateing to engulf all of Europe in the flames of war. It is in such a dry climate like this in Europe, that could allow such possibilities, that I offer you advice. The Austrians are engaged in war in their southern parts, fighting the Byzantines and ourselfs in battle. Their forces are, well, quite certain to thin in the north to supply more troop to more southern fronts. I know that the Poles are not all that friendly to us and of the people of Danube as well. Yet opportunity should not be ignored due to grudges of the past. Revenge against Austrians can come, and friendship, maybe, can come. I hope you recognize the opportunity you have, and not let it slip through your gasp.

Chancellor Von Politz

We shall do what we believe best, regardless of what Hispania or its people desire us to do, for we are servants to no one.

- His Majesty, King Aleksander I Karol von Wettin of Poland

Spoiler: Private letter to Chancellor Von Politz We shall do what we believe best, regardless of what Hispania or its people desire us to do, for we are servants to no one.

- His Majesty, King Aleksander I Karol von Wettin of Poland

((Private))

It is not servants that I believe you to be, but I will not demand anything of the Poles, for we are equals. The will of you, the King, shall be accepted, but these words and opportunities should not be forgotten, glory may come to you, only with the word of action

Von Politz

Raise war taxes for the Imperials and make full use of the treasury to combat this menace that is the Phoenixes!
As Chamberlain, I also implore my fellow nobles to rally to the Imperial banner and resist the Phoenixes, I also implore my fellow citizens in Sardinia and Corsica to support the Imperial cause in any way possible.

Nicolás de Alvaro, Duke of Sardinia and Corsica, Imperial Treasurer and Chamberlain of the Cortz

Alea iacta est. What a solemn act this should have been. But Montségur had far too much to do to, far too many variables to consider, was far too concerned with the future of Phoenix' actions to contemplate this. Hispania was burning. And the French court had given in to Charles as they heard of his deal with Austria. The balance in North Italy - it wasn't threatened. They had let themselves be fooled. He had to give the court a chance to redeem themselves.
Most esteemed Court of France, would you want to seal your own end? For a mere shift in the Italian balance, and I clearly speak of shift here, not of break. Italy is mostly split, into a part trading mainly through Genoa and a part trading mostly though Venice. Understandably, the current situation of the Italian lands has been a source of tension between our nations, ever since the alliance had been perfected. A similar conflict of interests has never existed between France and Hispania, or between France and Austria, which is why the alliances are so long-lived and have been so fruitful. I have used the opportunity to remove this source of distrust, of conflict. It will only be beneficial for the future, even for the balance of power Hispania clearly dominated. Court of France, don't be fooled. The peace in Europe, our cooperation, our ideals are at stake.
Intervene before it is too late. Or not only you will regret it. But all of Europe, no, the entire world will.

Montségur would await an answer. Then, if he had to, plan how to counteract the French.

((So the positive roll was utterly useless? :( Austria will most likely be busy with Byzantine rebels most of the time, so it is not like they will be a great help, while France can and will focus on the wargoal. Scratch that, as long as Byzantine forts block the way at least. We all know the AI's priorities :oops:.))

Last edited:
  1. When General Gilbert de Saint-Pierre arrived in Naples, in order to to recieve orders and plan the course of action of the loyalist forces, he gave out a speech in front of the Imperial court and Exercit Naples, also ordering for it to be written down to be read out to the loyal troops across the Empire, in hopes of boosting the moral

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our country, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty’s Government-every man of them. That is the will of the people and the nation.

The Hispanian Empire and the French Empire, linked together in their cause and in their centuries old bond, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of our Empire have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Phoenixes and all the odious apparatus of de Montsegur rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Iberia,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in Italy and Africa, we shall defend our home, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, Mediterranean or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Hispanian Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

(( Editing thos famous speeches in order to fit the scenario somehow is actually pretty fun xD ))

EDIT: (( If possible this will be Gilbert's action for this turn. Trying to raise morale of Loyalist troops with an inspirational speech. ))

Last edited:
Alea iacta est. What a solemn act this should have been. But Montségur had far too much to do to, far too many variables to consider, was far too concerned with the future of Phoenix' actions to contemplate this. Hispania was burning. And the French court had given in to Charles as they heard of his deal with Austria. The balance in North Italy - it wasn't threatened. They had let themselves be fooled. He had to give the court a chance to redeem themselves.
Most esteemed Court of France, would you want to seal your own end? For a mere shift in the Italian balance, and I clearly speak of shift here, not of break. Italy is mostly split, into a part trading mainly through Genoa and a part trading mostly though Venice. Understandably, the current situation of the Italian lands has been a source of tension between our nations, ever since the alliance had been perfected. A similar conflict of interests has never existed between France and Hispania, or between France and Austria, which is why the alliances are so long-lived and have been so fruitful. I have used the opportunity to remove this source of distrust, of conflict. It will only be beneficial for the future, even for the balance of power Hispania clearly dominated. Court of France, don't be fooled. The peace in Europe, our cooperation, our ideals are at stake.
Intervene before it is too late. Or not only you will regret it. But all of Europe, no, the entire world will.

Montségur would await an answer. Then, if he had to, plan how to counteract the French.

((So the positive roll was utterly useless? :( Austria will most likely be busy with Byzantine rebels most of the time, so it is not like they will be a great help, while France can and will focus on the wargoal. Scratch that, as long as Byzantine forts block the way at least. We all know the AI's priorities :oops:.))

The French, already having committed to the war, do not respond.

((The roll was enough to keep them neutral, but the agreement with Austria swayed them the other way. Also, I thought I made this clear but maybe I forgot to mention it. Byzantium is not in the war. The only reason Austria would attack in that direction is if the rebels move next to their border again. But then again, the AI is dumb and might go off on some weird side adventure. :p If you want, I can set war targets for Austria to steer them in the right direction.))

1. When General Gilbert de Saint-Pierre arrived in Naples, in order to to recieve orders and plan the course of action of the loyalist forces, he gave out a speech in front of the Imperial court and Exercit Naples, also ordering for it to be written down to be read out to the loyal troops across the Empire, in hopes of boosting the moral
"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our country, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty’s Government-every man of them. That is the will of the people and the nation.

The Hispanian Empire and the French Empire, linked together in their cause and in their centuries old bond, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of our Empire have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Phoenixes and all the odious apparatus of de Montsegur rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Iberia,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in Italy and Africa, we shall defend our home, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, Mediterranean or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Hispanian Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

(( Editing thos famous speeches in order to fit the scenario somehow is actually pretty fun xD ))

EDIT: (( If possible this will be Gilbert's action for this turn. Trying to raise morale of Loyalist troops with an inspirational speech. ))

The troops are inspired to fight for Hispania and the Emperor. They seem a bit more eager to fight, although nervousness still fills the ranks. Hopefully it will hold out.

((You managed to get a morale boost, but it's small and won't last for long.))

Raise war taxes for the Imperials and make full use of the treasury to combat this menace that is the Phoenixes!
As Chamberlain, I also implore my fellow nobles to rally to the Imperial banner and resist the Phoenixes, I also implore my fellow citizens in Sardinia and Corsica to support the Imperial cause in any way possible.

Nicolás de Alvaro, Duke of Sardinia and Corsica, Imperial Treasurer and Chamberlain of the Cortz

The nobles seem disinclined to do much of anything. Those that haven't already chosen a side seem content to remain neutral.

((Sorry that I missed this. The roll wasn't that spectacular, so the attempt fails.))

Last edited:
The troops are inspired to fight for Hispania and the Emperor. They seem a bit more eager to fight, although nervousness still fills the ranks. Hopefully it will hold out.

((You managed to get a morale boost, but it's small and won't last for long.))

(( That's all I was hoping for, to be fully honest. ))

(( Constantin François II de Saint-Pierre ))

The margrave rallied his troop before ordering them down south. He knew he wouldn't be able to defeat Exercit Valencia, or the separatists from Exercit Madrid, but he could make their conditions worse, by raiding the supply convoys, and engaging the enemy in guerrilla warfare, focusing on hit and run tactics.

(( This is going to be the action for my noble character. Trying to disturb Exercit Valencia and splinters of Exercit Madrid in any way possible. ))

(( And finally, time for Rémi to be of any use, and for him to pick a side. ))

The eldest son of Alexis was furious! The assassin slipped through their fingers, and they got denied access, so they couldn't chase the culprit. But he wouldn't stay safe for long! The Emperor would hear about this, and surely he would act on it. The Saint-Pierre boarded a ship and sailed back to Valencia, oh if only he knew what happened in the time he was gone. However before he visited the Imperial palace he decided to stop by the TATC HQ. He was quite shocked to see some of destrucion that could still be spotted in the city. But that didn't stop him. He entered the building, throwing the doors open and shouting
"Can someone explain to me what in the world has happened and where is everyone?!"
He was greeted with eerie silence.
He sighed in annoyance before marching to the council chamber, to find the few remaining men nervously discuss few things. When they saw Rémi, they appeared to be overjoyed, offering wine and all kinds of luxurious food to the head of the company, however Rémi just denied it all
"Please tell me what dreadful event has happened to leave our capital in such a state!"
The councilmen retreated, whispering something between eachother before the leader of them explained everything. This left the head of the company in a state of shock.
It took a while for him to regain his senses and speak again
"And you fools dared to side with a traitor! To go against our ruler? I am disgusted by all of you! What would Maxime de Saint-Pierre think if he saw what his company become! If you have any honor left, you will do what's right and pull all the strings you have in order to help our ruler!"
With shame on their face most of them agreed, deciding to leave Valencia. However one of them, the head of the council protested and stayed in the building, saying that the Phoenix is the future of Hispania, and that the old monarchy will perish.
Rémi only shot him a glare of disgust and left the building with the rest, leaving for Neapoli.

(( Well, Mike rolled for my character's influance on those guys, and it turned out extreamly well. 4/5 council members switched sides, so you can expect a lot of trouble in Africa @alscon :p
And I guess this would be my character's action for this turn. ))

(( That's all I was hoping for, to be fully honest. ))

(( Constantin François II de Saint-Pierre ))

The margrave rallied his troop before ordering them down south. He knew he wouldn't be able to defeat Exercit Valencia, or the separatists from Exercit Madrid, but he could make their conditions worse, by raiding the supply convoys, and engaging the enemy in guerrilla warfare, focusing on hit and run tactics.

(( This is going to be the action for my noble character. Trying to disturb Exercit Valencia and splinters of Exercit Madrid in any way possible. ))

(( And finally, time for Rémi to be of any use, and for him to pick a side. ))

The eldest son of Alexis was furious! The assassin slipped through their fingers, and they got denied access, so they couldn't chase the culprit. But he wouldn't stay safe for long! The Emperor would hear about this, and surely he would act on it. The Saint-Pierre boarded a ship and sailed back to Valencia, oh if only he knew what happened in the time he was gone. However before he visited the Imperial palace he decided to stop by the TATC HQ. He was quite shocked to see some of destrucion that could still be spotted in the city. But that didn't stop him. He entered the building, throwing the doors open and shouting
"Can someone explain to me what in the world has happened and where is everyone?!"
He was greeted with eerie silence.
He sighed in annoyance before marching to the council chamber, to find the few remaining men nervously discuss few things. When they saw Rémi, they appeared to be overjoyed, offering wine and all kinds of luxurious food to the head of the company, however Rémi just denied it all
"Please tell me what dreadful event has happened to leave our capital in such a state!"
The councilmen retreated, whispering something between eachother before the leader of them explained everything. This left the head of the company in a state of shock.
It took a while for him to regain his senses and speak again
"And you fools dared to side with a traitor! To go against our ruler? I am disgusted by all of you! What would Maxime de Saint-Pierre think if he saw what his company become! If you have any honor left, you will do what's right and pull all the strings you have in order to help our ruler!"
With shame on their face most of them agreed, deciding to leave Valencia. However one of them, the head of the council protested and stayed in the building, saying that the Phoenix is the future of Hispania, and that the old monarchy will perish.
Rémi only shot him a glare of disgust and left the building with the rest, leaving for Neapoli.

(( Well, Mike rolled for my character's influance on those guys, and it turned out extreamly well. 4/5 council members switched sides, so you can expect a lot of trouble in Africa @alscon :p
And I guess this would be my character's action for this turn. ))

((It's one action per player, so I can't do one for your noble too. It'd be a bit unfair if people could just call up all their non-active characters to do these rolls. The TATC part I will allow though as it's more roleplay, what with your character in charge of the TATC. Keep in mind that the provinces are mostly set, so most land will remain under Phoenix control. They'll just get some nasty modifiers or other things.))

((Might be that the fools have been convinced. But that doesn't have to have any effect on the TATC's alignment.
You forget that the city is entirely under my control. Why should I let anyone freely enter and leave the city? Especially permit some unknown variable to enter my calculations. Certainly I wouldn't just let them leave and say 'oh well, time to support the Loyalists'.
I'm keeping an eye on them. You are in the heartland of the revolt. So I'd ask for, only if the previous one fails, with good success chance:
1. A roll to intercept Rémi as soon as he arrives.
2. A roll to intercept him when he leaves the TATC HQ.
3. A roll to intercept whatever order wants to leave the TATC HQ.
Without that, nothing would stop ships from the FML to just take Valencia back, as I apparently don't care who passes through. The city is sealed off as heart of a revolt, not exactly a tourist haven right now.))

(( Well you forgot that Rémi was off in Arabia and travelled on board of a TATC ship. So a ship that would be on your side. The other rolls would be reasonable, and I actually was considering a scenario where he would be kindapped. Besides I doubt they would go out shoting they decided to change sides. I'm pretty certain they would keep it to themselfs.
Other thing is, what if they would justify their leave by saying they have administrative duties in Africa to fulfil? ))

((That's what I meant with FML ships. See, they are both the same, so you'd have to stop them first and see who is on board.
The council meeting can hardly be hidden, and a representative of Phoenix took the place of the crown's one.
They made their choice, and so now they have to live with it under surveillance. They might regret it by now, but nobody enters or leaves the city but the military.
If it was somewhere else, sure, there's less strict security measures, as it would be unenforceable. But certainly not in Valencia.))