• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Deism: Christian
National Focus: Diplo

Non-Hispania Events (OOC): Yes

[ courtier, merchany, Grandmaster, PM, Colony ]

Your Majesty,
I write to you in the name of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company. As you might be aware the people of Arabia have agreed to our help in the development of the region. They also established trade relations with us. The Arabs have expressed intress in a substance known as opium, and I believe with Your help we might meet their needs. However it would require an establishment of plantations in India that would support the mass production of poppies which are used to produce opium. Of course the Crown would recieve part of the benefits, given how land under Crown's administration would be used to the plantations. I think we could agree on the shares at a later date, after the operation would bring in some funds, to see is it actually worth the hassle. If not, then the Crown will recieve a recompensation from the Company.

Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the TATC

Your Majesty,
I write to you in the name of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company. As you might be aware the people of Arabia have agreed to our help in the development of the region. They also established trade relations with us. The Arabs have expressed intress in a substance known as opium, and I believe with Your help we might meet their needs. However it would require an establishment of plantations in India that would support the mass production of poppies which are used to produce opium. Of course the Crown would recieve part of the benefits, given how land under Crown's administration would be used to the plantations. I think we could agree on the shares at a later date, after the operation would bring in some funds, to see is it actually worth the hassle. If not, then the Crown will recieve a recompensation from the Company.

Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the TATC

JpsioAG.png

I am not an expert on the inner trade workings of the Empire, so I will take your word that such trade would prove profitable. If the Arabs have indeed shown an interest in this opium and such trade would foster good relations, then by all means go ahead with it. I'm certain some land in India may be set aside for cultivation of opium, with of course some of the profits going to the Crown as a result. The TATC has my full permission to go ahead with this endeavour. Trade is the lifeblood of the Empire's finances, after all.

- His Imperial Highness, Jaume IV de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

Count de Blanco,

I have heard of your desire to attain promotion in the army. As you have surely noticed, multiple high ranks have become available due to the grave mistakes they have made. You are a likely candidate, but there are also obstacles to your promotion that have to be removed.
No matter how talented a commander is, I cannot appoint anyone else than a Christian as lieutenant general. The Inquisition would immediately burn you at the stake, the reason you haven't yet is that you are not too important. I would not want to lose a potentially good general in these times, so whatever you believe in, officially behave as a good Christian.
That brings me to another question: Why do you want to fight for Hispania, if you do not believe in a god-chosen monarch? For the realm itself, I believe? Keep in mind that as count, you are now a part of the current order. Act as such.
Follow my advice, and I will make sure that your life is safe and your service be put to good use.

Marshal Alexandre César de Montségur

myKh8vJ.png

For their good service in the past wars, Alejandro de Leon and Gilbert de Saint-Pierre are both promoted to Captain Generals.

((Time to bring the vote to an end.

Deism: Christian
National Focus: Military
Non-Hispania Events (OOC): Yes

So Deism is now officially protected by the Church of Jesus Christ. I'll try to explain the implications of that in the update, provided I actually remember. As for the Non-Hispanian events, I realized the name was a bit off for what I had in mind. I do have ideas for events occurring in other countries, but there are others more related to Hispania that I've been hesitant to use because they push boundaries I haven't tried to touch yet. Mostly I want to create events that allow for things to occur that seem unlikely to happen based on game mechanics but logically should. I won't be creating seemingly impossible events simply to make things more difficult for us. Everything that happens from a custom event should have a reason for occurring. If the timing is right, I might be able to make one such event up for after the update. We shall see. ;)))

Reactions:
1745-1752 – The End of an Era

The year 1745 started with a hefty religious debate. The Council of Churches was divided on whether to recognize Deism as an official Christian faith. Unable to decide, they set it before the court. The issue proved just as contentious there too. Many felt that Deism was too vague to be included, while others saw them as Christians regardless. Ultimately the latter won out, and the Emperor requested that the Council of Churches allow Deists to be protected by the Church of Jesus Christ. This set a precedent so momentous that it rivaled the creation of the Church itself. Deists had no organized faith or common practices. All they shared was a common belief in God. With this decision, the Council of Churches had practically dictated that anyone who openly worshipped the Christian God, regardless of their practices or whether they followed an organized faith, were considered Christian and thus protected. With such a broad definition, heresy practically ceased to exist.

With funds saved up over the years, the various ministers went to work. Marshal Alexandre César de Montségur expanded four of Hispania’s army, while the new Grand Admiral continued with the expansion of the Asiatic Armada. Grandmaster Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre added ships to the trade fleet operating out of Alexandria. As for the Steward, he started constructing conscription centres in Africa, attempting to provide more men to sustain the massive Hispanian army. Treasurer Nicolás de Alvaro managed to reduce inflation to almost nothing, more proper fiscal management.

Few people paid much attention to Arabia, but if they did they might have noticed that the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company was expanding its trade presence and bringing in much more wealth. By selling opium to the Arabs, the population started to get addicted and became dependent on TATC distribution of the product. The local governments had yet to react, but signs of addiction were already starting to show.

Unable to successfully invade England, Tyrone could not force Britain to sign a peace they wanted. They agreed to pay war reparations, a humiliating agreement.

With Britain now at peace, their colonies did not take long to act. The Thirteen Colonies issued an ultimatum to their overlord, demanding independence. Newfoundland eagerly joined in. Due to Hispania’s agreement, they were called in to assist. With the might of Hispania on their side, it seemed likely they would be free this time.

The Exercit Valencia immediately set out for the British Isles, landing in Meath to target the Irish territories. The Flota Mediterranean sailed back to retrieve the Exercit Madrid for a further invasion of Wales.

The Suez Canal met a setback as poor planning got in the way. The proposed route turned out to be the improper elevation for a canal and had to be redesigned. The HSCC was immediately tasked with preparing a new plan for the canal and went to work.

Following in the footsteps of other colonial nations, Sanchonia appointed a general with known anti-Hispanian sympathies.

The colonization of Nukunu was going along splendidly, raising the enthusiasm for colonial endeavours. More people actually wanted to move to the colonies.

The fort in Meath put up little resistance, with Marshal Montségur securing Britain’s Irish possessions early on. Field Marshal Villanova had managed to secure part of Wales, with Newfoundland troops arriving shortly after to aid with the siege of Marches. The Thirteen Colonies arrived afterwards to bolster forces in the area.

French Louisiana truly tried to test Hispanian patience when they started settling Bidaye, a province recognized as part of Mexico and thus meant for Nova Hispania. This was now the second province they held in the region.

Near the start of 1746, Basileus Ioannes X passed away at only 36, the victim of the old Palaiologos curse. He had only managed to sire two young daughters, with the crown thus passing to his older cousin Demetrios, who had managed to avoid the curse for now. With a son and grandson of his own, succession seemed secure for now, especially with the Basileus proving to be a most able man, much improved since his days on the regency council. There was still general dissent amongst the populace. Many still remembered Demetrios’s involvement in Ioannes X’s regency all those years ago and how poorly that had gone. It would take time to prove himself to his subjects.

The need for conscription centres became direr as the usual grain shipments to Hispania were stalled. There wasn’t enough to supply the army and funds from the treasury had to be set aside to purchase food for the army or else face discontent from amongst their ranks. ((Lost the trading in grain modifier and our force limit dropped below our current army size. Good thing we still had the military advisor giving +10% force limits or we’d feel that in our finances. :D))

In April, Marches was captured, apparently the only remaining British fort. Montségur landed in Norfolk and captured the province, which trapped the British army in Essex. That didn’t stop them though, as the Brits fled through French lands. Both Hispanian armies marched to intervene. The British were already fleeing in terror when they reached the battlefield. The entire army surrendered rather than fight.

With Britain in shambled, they had no choice but to sign a peace. Both the Thirteen Colonies and Newfoundland were granted independence. The former colonial power had to par war reparations to their former subjects.

With the Hispanian armies in England, a favour was done for the French. The Hispanian armies engaged the rebel force in Cornwall and eliminated France’s rebel problem for them. With that done, they sailed home.

With the independence war over, the two colonial nations made good use of their freedom. The Thirteen Colonies declared their nation to be the United States of America (although there was much debate over this name based on the current government), while Newfoundland proclaimed itself Canada. Despite their shared struggle, the Americans were still resentful about the previous two lost independence war. There was also the difference in government. Canada had embraced republicanism, while the United States had crowned their wartime hero, Frederick Seymour, their king. Descended from a previous governor, Frederick I was considered the best candidate to rule over this new kingdom. Almost immediately after signing a peace, the USA, or UKA/United Kingdom of America if you prefer, broke their alliance with Canada and declared them a rival. Voices at the American court supported ending the alliance with Hispania too, stating that they had opposing interests, although no one could point out why. To attempt to salvage the situation, Emperor Jaume married his daughter Sílvia de Trastámara to the young American king.

In August, the Americans made good on their threat, breaking the alliance with Hispania, even after Queen Sílvia had given their new king a son. It was then discovered that the source of tensions was Asia. Apparently the Americans, despite being nowhere near Asia, felt that nearly all of Ming, Delhi, Malwa, Japan, and Pasai should belong to them. Seeing as Hispania had declared its intention to see Sumatra, now owned by Pasai, be part of the Empire decades ago, the Americans interpreted this as a conflict of interest, despite the fact that no one in Hispania even remembered making these claims anymore. With such a petty thing being the only thing standing in the way, Emperor Jaume requested that Sumatra no longer be considered of vital interest. With that done, the alliance was signed again as though nothing had happened. ((I honestly could not find the provinces that were causing the conflict until after they broke the alliance. Who would have thought the Americans would want Sumatra? :p))

Tensions with Byzantium rose from a much earlier conflict. The Greeks were accused of trading with Hispania’s rivals, despite the fact that no nation was recognized as a rival of Hispania. Some figured this meant Lithuania or perhaps Poland, but either way the Greeks were told to stop trading with whoever. Perhaps it was time to tell the Greeks that they didn’t have to embargo Hispania’s non-existent rivals. ((*wink wink nudge nudge*))

Persia, using its border with Byzantium, managed to copy western ways. Perhaps they had tired of being taken advantage of by western powers and wanted to be able to rival them in power.

In December, Alodia decided to take a second shot at Egypt, declaring a holy war on them.

Dai Viet proved itself more powerful than Pasai, taking most of Siam from them. Of more importance, they forced Siak free, right on the border of a Hispania colony. This could be an excellent opportunity for colonial expansion.

The Suez Canal project was in a slump. The leadership was uninspired and dragged down by the heat. The HSCC was tasked with hiring new leaders to ramp up the project and getting it going at a better pace.

The development of the bayonet revolutionized warfare. Now infantry could not only fire at their enemies, but wield their muskets like spears against their enemy. This greatly improved the effectiveness of infantry in combat.

Looking for more funds as Hispanian finances became more strained by increasing expenditure, the Steward order the construction of counting houses throughout Iberia.

In May of 1747, Sweden declared war on Pomerania. A few weeks later, they called upon Hispania for help. This was a surprise to most, for Sweden usually relied on France or Austria and then ignored Hispania. Now they chose to seek Hispania’s help and only Hispania’s. Emperor Jaume did not particularly care about Sweden’s conquest of Pomerania, but he was interested in Lithuania’s participation. Without even consulting the Cortz, he agreed to join the war, stating that this was an opportunity to target Lithuania. Also, he stated that only the Exercit Valencia was needed, for Sweden had contributed little to Hispania’s war against Poland so Hispania would do the same.

As the Exercit Valencia set sail for the Black Sea, France announced the annexation of the Palatinate. Their use as an electorate was not enough to keep them around apparently.

As the days went by, Saxony, as Emperor of the HRE, called upon its allies to aid in the defence of Pomerania. Lubeck, Hesse, and Bohemia all joined in, all insignificant tiny nations.

The Exercit Valencia landed in Yedishkul under Marshal Montségur to prey on the unprotected lands along the Black Sea. Nearby, General Pausanias led the Greek army across Polish lands to attack the Lithuanian fort in Bratslaw.

The number of horses saw a drastic increase over the past decade, with more than enough horses available to supply any cavalry regiment.

The colonies started to see some neglect as attempts to circumnavigate trade barriers was shut down, for Hispania had to dominate trade to ensure its financial dominance. This did not sit well with Nuevo Leon at all.

The burghers of Braganca requested greater rights so they could improve the economy of the region. The Emperor granted their request in the hopes that they could fulfill such a promise.

In November, Sweden’s army engaged Lithuania’s main force in Ostrov. The Swedes had far superior leadership and numbers, which devastated the ranks of the Lithuanian infantry.

Farther south, the Exercit Valencia split and went to besiege the two forts near the Black Sea. Field Marshal Villanova was given command of one half and the Marshal the other. Due to their work already, they had managed to force Lithuania’s navy out of port and right into the waiting Greek fleet.

The newly independent Siak apparently had a death wish, for they sent a diplomatic insult to the Emperor, insulting his person and Hispania in general.

The colony in Highveld became self-sustaining, allow resources to be shifted to Natal for the Saint-Pierre family.

Speaking of the Saint-Pierre family, Captain General Gilbert de Saint-Pierre was ordered north into Austria, where various enemy regiments were meandering around, slowly edging their way south. It seemed that they might be intending Italy to be their target, so preventative action was permitted.

Alodia swallowed up most of Egypt, taking all but their capital on their northern border. Only the fact that they could not reach Egypt’s provinces in North Africa, since Hispania refused to grant access, perhaps kept them from taking Egypt’s capital as well. Hispania’s neighbour in Egypt was growing a bit too much.

A Lithuanian army of over 40k suddenly appeared in the south near Field Marshal Villanova’s army. Montségur quickly marched the meet up with him, but his arrival was not enough to turn things around. The Hispanian forces were forced to retreat, with the decision made to retreat to Sweden where their army and the Greeks could back them up.

Over in Austria, Saint-Pierre took out a single regiment led by the Pomeranian king that dared to go too far south.

While the Exercit Valencia was retreating to safer ground, Byzantium was carrying its weight. General Mandromenos dealt a decent blow to an enemy army in Poland. He then proceeded to hunt down a small segment of that army and eradicate it.

Over in the New World, Canada used its newfound freedom to attempt to conquer Fox.

A new flagship for the Asiatic Armada was constructed in Corsica.

The Exercit Valencia reached Sweden safely and set out to take Lithuania’s border provinces in the far north while waiting for the navy to arrive. Lithuania had proven too difficult to handle with just the Exercit Valencia. Attacking Pomerania instead would bring a conclusion to the war at least.

An attempt by the Lithuanians to push into the Swedish Balkans was repelled by General Mandromenos.

A colonial border conflict between Nuevos Valencia and Nova Hispania was ignored by the Viceroy Superior, forcing the two colonial nations to butt heads until a solution was found.

Saint-Pierre found himself a long way from home as he chased a Pomeranian army that ventured too close all the way to Poland.

An eastern alliance was forming as Lithuania allied with Persia.

The Exercit Valencia set sail for Pomerania, intending to retake Sweden’s fort Sjaelland and move on to Denmark.

Sweden eliminated a Lithuanian army that ventured into their lands, keeping any invasion from occurring.

March of 1749 marked a great occasion in Hispanian history. Hispania had defied nature and forged a canal connecting the Mediterranean and Red Sea. The Suez Canal, after 9 years of hard work, was finally complete. With ships now able to travel through it and avoid going around Africa, trade boomed and funds starting pouring in for the stockholders. For the initial boom, those who contributed the most were benefitting. ((I’ve updated the VP for anyone who donated theirs earlier. Your penalty now becomes a bonus. It shall deteriorate by 1VP per turn, but shall carry over with characters until it is gone.))

Poland bounced back quite quickly from their defeat at Hispania’s hand, managing to not only fend off Pomerania but take a province from them too. At least this gave Sweden the opportunity to swoop in and besiege Pomerania’s Germany lands.

The death of the Emperor’s trusted advisor, Garcia de Guimera, saw him replaced by Roderic Arbues, who had a similar repertoire of unsavoury skills.

General Mandromenos launched another attack on Lithuania’s army, this time in Moskva. Yet again, Lithuania was forced on the run and faced humiliating losses.

By June, Sjaelland had been retaken. The Exercit Valencia, now led solely by Villanova, island hopped to Mitteljutland to secure Denmark for Sweden.

Mali crushed Zazzau in a war, taking well over a dozen provinces.

The colony in Sakam in Taiwan became self-sufficient. The Crown hired some colonists to settle Pipil in an attempt to keep Scotland from expanding in Central America any further.

Sweden managed to pull off a stunning victory against Lithuania outside the enemy capital. The enemy force was entirely wiped out, ending any serious threat in that war theatre.

Colonies were growing at a rapid rate, with Katapang able to sustain itself. The Crown, in cooperation with the TATC, sent a colonist to Lesser Namaqualand in hopes of sealing off further expansion into South Africa.

Pomerania tried to move into Swedish land, only to get attacked by the main Swedish and Greek armies. They never stood a chance.

Nukunu in Australia also became self-sufficient around this time. So many colonies were able to survive on their own that resources were shifting around rapidly and a new colony was not ready to be established yet.

In December, a Bohemian regiment had managed to evade notice and snuck right into Italy. The city of Firenze suddenly found a tiny army outside its walls and was completely unprepared. The Exercit Napoli moved quickly to eliminate the threat. With that done, the Exercits Napoli and Provence moved to the border in Northern Italy to ensure no further regiments made it past.

The price of ivory jumped up as the elephant population declined in Southeast Asia. This proved a boon to Hispania, for surely now people would look to Africa for their ivory.

Way up in northern Austria, Captain General Saint-Pierre took out straggler regiments that dared venture near friendly territory.

Despite the importance of the Hispanian navy, the army always seemed to receive preferential treatment.

In April of 1750, the first of many single regiments was caught in southern Austria trying to reach Italy. This would not be the first or the last, as General Wilhelm von Peglows from Pomerania made many attempts on reaching Italy. ((It’s not worth mention every regiment that tried to reach Italy. I’ll keep a tally of all regiments since the first Bohemian one went after Firenze and mention it near the end.))

Canada’s first war as an independent nation met with major success, securing all of Fox’s land.

Byzantium had sent some smaller armies to pester the HRE states, managing to force Bohemia to settle a peace.

The Saint-Pierre family struck gold, literally. Natal was found to have gold during the colonization effort.

General Mandromenos attacked a larger Lithuanian army in Kiev, keeping them on their toes. Lithuania could not keep up with the star general and was forced to retreat.

Back in Hispania, the army started the practice of massing firepower together to deal a series of major blows. This would surely improve the offensive capabilities of the army.

In March of 1751, Emperor Charles VIII of France finally came of age. He ascended to the throne, with his younger brother as heir.

Mandromenos achieved another astonishing victory against Lithuania, eliminating one of their armies with minimal casualties. This was perhaps the last of his great achievements. It was around this time he decided it was wise to start attacking the pretenders trying to seize Lithuania’s throne. He threw away the lives of over 10k men fighting rebels who were hampering his own enemy. Some men in his army claimed that Basileus Demetrios had sent orders to engage the rebels, but this could not be verified.

The TATC was running into some trouble in South Africa. It suggested expansion in the area, but that pretty much meant conflict with Hispania’s ally Sweden. That proposition was politely turned down.

Attempts to improve discipline at sea has been devised by using public forms of punishment. If men were encouraged through such efforts to behave, the navy would perform better.

The Steward instituted a massive investment project in June. Money was poured into Iberia, with the administration being improved in various provinces, mostly in Castile. ((We actually maxed out admin points and I had to spend them somewhere. :p))

The Church of Jesus Christ achieved great success by being able to officially proclaim that all provinces of the Empire had embraced the faith, even the heathens of India and North Africa.

The TATC continued to prosper in West Africa, while the east experienced some chaos with Yemen declaring war on Hejaz. It seemed they wanted the holy city of Mecca back in their possession.

Hesse was the next to leave the war, paying war reparations as usual.

Mandromenos continued his campaign against Lithuania’s rebels. At this point, some questioned if he actually was trying to help Lithuania, while others questioned why the Basileus was not ordering the General to stop with these attacks. Either way, Greeks paid with their lives fighting rebels no one except Lithuania wanted them to fight.

In February of 1752, the Steward passed away. The Emperor hired one Diego Colon to serve as an advisor and allowed him to serve as Steward until the Prime Minister found a replacement. ((The NPC Steward died in-game, so I just replaced him with the new advisor.))

This wasn’t the only death to occur. In a tragic twist of fate, Crown Prince Ferran came down with a sudden illness early in the year. Within a month, he was barely coherent, vomiting incessantly, and running a constant fever. The disease proved to much for him. At only 35, Ferran passed away. ((It seems that EUIV not only hates our heirs as of late, killing off three during the reigns of the past two emperors, but does not like players becoming empresses. Sorry Mach Twelve. At least you get to be mother to a future emperor. :D))

Emperor Jaume did not take the death of his eldest son well. He locked himself in his chambers for a week, where those passing by could hear him weeping. He started spending more time at church, perhaps finding solace in the arms of the Lord. After this intense period of grieving, it was clear that the Emperor was not the same man. His face appeared gaunt and he barely uttered a word unless directly spoken to. He returned to his old shy self, mostly unwilling to speak with others or participate in affairs of state. As for succession, Ferran’s son Alfons became the heir. The boy was still young at only 12-years-old, but he showed an intelligence more becoming of an older man, yet still possessed the kindness and innocence of a child. He was certain to be a great emperor.

Merchants started complaining that they weren’t receiving the protection they deserved. Hispanian policy had always been in favour of mercantilism, so efforts were made to protect those interests.

Saxony was forced out of the war next, paying war reparations.

Another Lithuanian army succumbed to Swedish might. Shortly after, Hispania played its part in the war by finally managing to take Mitteljutland after a nearly two-year-long siege. The Exercit Valencia spread out to capture the rest of Denmark. With Sweden already in possession of Pomerania’s German provinces, a peace could hopefully be signed soon.

Those prayers were answered in June, when Sweden forced Pomerania to the peace table. Pomerania handed over several of their German provinces, as well as all islands in the straits and a piece of Denmark. Lithuania handed over a single province on the North Sea. Hispania had finally done its duty and could go home. Peace was welcome, especially after 14 separate regiments had attempted to attack Italy one at a time for the past few years. ((I have never seen the AI throw away so many regiments in a futile attempt to reach our land. :p))

Shortly after the peace, one well-known archbishop received a welcome surprise. Sancho Velazquez was elevated to the rank of cardinal, allowing him to serve on the Holy See in Rome. Wanting a fresh face to represent them, the Council of Churches let him in amongst their ranks and appointed him Court Chaplain. ((Since @hirahammad is the only clergy, he gets promoted pretty quickly and automatically gets to be Court Chaplain. Congrats. :D))

Despite peace being signed, General Mandromenos continued to attack the rebel armies in Lithuania. He nearly had his own army routed in the last attempt against some Cossacks, losing almost all his infantry and cavalry, but still won in the end. The Basileus was furious with this behaviour and was overheard stating that he wanted nothing more than to fire the elderly general for his outrageous behaviour during the war. Those who looked more closely may have noticed that Mandromenos engaged the rebel force before peace was signed, and yet again rumours emerged that the General was operating under orders from the Basileus, despite his claims to the contrary. Either way, more and more people were growing discontent seeing Greeks lose their lives in wars that mattered so little to them.

Hispania’s army was doing much better. Men were flocking to it, wanting nothing more than to join the army.

With the war over, a new colony could finally be established after being neglected. Managua was the preferred location to secure a potential land bridge between Nueva Granada and Nova Hispania, but Scotland got there first. Lenca was chosen instead. Nueva Granada demanded action for this expansion on their border, but their cries were ignored. Discontent was growing in the colonies and it seemed likely that it was ready to reach boiling point soon if nothing was done.

Everything seemed good and well in Hispania. Even the death of the Crown Prince months ago had faded away. One person though had not forgotten. Emperor Jaume had slipped further and further into a depressed state at the loss of his child. He had no one to turn to. Even his wife, a woman he had never gotten along with to begin with, had passed away in 1747 with little notice. He suffered in silence, and it took its toll. The emotional pain transitioned into the physical. By the end of the year, the Emperor was ill and bedridden. Any doctor who tried to cure the man stated that he had no serious ailment, but merely his will to live was gone. Eventually God answered his suffering, ushering him from this world. On 9 December 1752, Emperor Jaume IV passed away.

The sudden death of the Emperor, as well as his son months before, threw the government into chaos. The 12-year-old Alfons was now Emperor, but was too young to rule. Law dictated that the Prime Minister was to serve as regent, yet anyone who looked at Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre wondered if the 98-year-old man would even live long enough to last the entire regency. If he died, who would become regent? There was no precedent set. The stability of the Crown depended on the life of a single old man.

((Public - The Throne Room))

The young Alfons entered the throne room dressed in the livery of an emperor. He walked over to the throne with confidence and poise unbecoming for his age. He turned to the audience, his expression calm and pleasant. If he was nervous, he showed no signs of it, other than perhaps the occasional glance towards his mother. He stood before the throne as first his regent was announced.

Presenting His Excellency, Regent Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre. ((Wasn’t sure on the title, but hopefully this seems appropriate.))

After his regent was announced, the young Emperor waited for his turn to be announced.

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks. ((Charitable, Honest, Just))

With that done, the boy sat down on his throne. The throne easily dwarfed him, accentuating his small stature. He glanced around the room, eyeing those who had assembled. He might have been young, but he had wisdom in his eyes and he seemed to comprehend the circumstance. He sat up straight in the throne that was far too big for him and addressed his subjects.

JpsioAG.png

I thank you all for attending. The circumstances of our first meeting are not pleasant. The passing of my grandfather, and my own father before him, have placed me in this position. I do not know why God chose this time for their passing, nor do I deign to understand such reasoning. As His humble servant, I can only carry out my duties as required. Yet even then, I recognize that I am far too young and inexperienced to rule over the Empire of Hispania. I trust that my regent, Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre, is fully capable of carrying out such duties until such a time as I reach my majority. All I ask of all of you in this time is to obey him as you would me and to serve Hispania as faithfully as you would have under my grandfather before me. May God watch over us all.

((And here we have it, our first regency. Until Alfons reaches 15, @05060403 gets to serve as regent and rule in his stead. He receives most of the powers of the emperor, including the veto (which he can use only once per turn), although the young Emperor may still voice his opinions on matters. The rest of the Small Council forms the Regency Council represented in-game. Of course, if 05 really wants to stir things up, he can off his character right now since he’s so damn old. If he does choose to do that, all I ask is that he makes sure it happens after the ceremony where he is made regent, or during if he wants to make things dramatic. :p

Now for normal business. Ministers have until Monday at 12PM PST to post their plans. Players may also propose laws in that time period. We can also outlaw slavery now if we so choose. We also get to pick a new mission, with two reasonable choices. It should be noted that Pipil is a colony in Central America and Chortli is the Scottish province right next to it bordering Nova Hispania.

Dying:
@Janha

))

Last edited:
Emperor Jaume IV had died not too long after his son, after the conclusion of the Swedish war. A good moment. Now all that had to be done was await Saint-Pierre's reaction - he would probably not make it much longer. A great opportunity opened - Montségur would see what he could do with it. As deputy Prime Minister, perhaps he would become regent - a regent in firm control of the army. Though Alfons IX would very likely be pro-Greek.
As usual, the Duke of Trinacria would prove patient. And act when necessary. So he stood in the back of the room, looking how the events would unfold. Maybe there would be no regent at all...

Last edited:
When the love of her life died in her arms, something began to grow in Sophia. She couldn't describe it but it felt like a strain was growing in her. Soon the activities she once enjoyed felt hollow. When her voice did grace the halls of the palace, it used to frequently, it was sorrowful and empty.

When Jaume died, the strain tenfolded.

And when she remembered her son, the only thing she had left in this world would soon be made Emperor, her precious son with the heart of a Saint thrown to the scheming self-serving Court with possibly the worst as Regent and Deputy, the pain reached unbearable levels.

When she saw him take his place on the throne, it finally gave. It was not a explosion, but a silent one. Her face did not move as it happened. Suddenly it was clear what she had to do...

((So who wants to be on the receiving end of a murder-suicide?))

In April of 1550

(( Oh boy, that's ages ago. Literally. :p ))

Alexis stood in the throne room, but not in his usual spot in the shady corner where he could watch everyone and everything occur. No, this time he stood right next to the throne, not only as the Prime Minister, but as a regent. He never expected this, nor did he want it, but he didn't really have much of a choice. As soon as he heared the news about Emperor's death he jumped onto the first ship heading to Valencia, buying some appropriate clothes on one of the Arab bazars. He learend to appreciete the people living there, and the sun was a nice change from the usual shadows of his office and the throne room back in Valencia.

"Indeed these are grim times we meet. Friends, loyal subjects of Hispania, I know I am almost ancient at this point, however let me tell you that my age doesn't stop me from thinking rationally and making decisions that will benefit our glorious Empire. I will do everything in my power to prvent any avoidable incidents until our Emperor, Alfons the ninth of his name will become of age and will be ready to take what is his. You can be sure I will not do anything arbitrary that will only benefit me, as I have only Hispanian good at heart. My position at the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company is only a... Side occupation. Now I believe the ministers have plans to form. As for the ministries. I believe it it finally time for me to step down from the position of Grandmaster, seeing as I will be fulfiling roles of both Prime Minister and Regent. In my place I would like to appoint... Hm, that's an excellent question. Sadly, I will need a bit more time for that. Thank you all for your attention."

Dear Alexandre César de Montségur,
i thank you for your advice and follow it as good as i can. The question why i want to fight for Hispania is a difficult but good question.
My main reason is that i believe that there should be a powerhouse in Europe to have controll over everybody. And in my thoughts Hispania is the best country to do so. And to be a powerhouse Hispania needs more territory, and just per war Hispania will get more territory, and for war you need soldiers, and generals to lead them.
May i could meet you inyour residence as i want you to have a look if i'm good enough to serve Hispania as a general.
Juan Yagüe de Blanco

Juan wrote the letter then he continued to eat his rabbit with winesouce.
A book, wrote by a chinese general, named "Art of War" stood in the bookshelf behind him. He looked through the window on the Galician Coastline. He grined.

Public letter to His Imperial Highness, Regent, and the Hispanian Court

We, the representatives of the colonial governments of Nueva Granada, Sanchonia, Nuevas Baleares, Nova Hispania, Cusco, Nuevo Leon, Nuevos Valencia, and Nueva Sicilia, hereby present the following demands in response to the continued mistreatment and marginalization of Hispania's colonial subjects and Hispania's recent recognition of colonial self-determination in regards to the United Kingdom of America.

I. The Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia shall be granted full control of and independence in all domestic affairs. Hispania shall retain control of foreign affairs.
II. The Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia shall form a legislative assembly within each of their own nations, with members elected by male citizens over 21 with property.
III. A governor shall be selected from the legislative assembly to govern the nation. He may only be appointed and removed by the legislative assembly, without interference from Hispania.
IV. A supranational committee shall be created with all the Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia, as well as Hispania, serving as members. This committee will have no legislative power but shall serve as a means to settle disputes and submit grievances.
V. The Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia shall be free to choose their own state religion.
VI. All tariffs imposed by Hispania on the Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia shall be removed or lowered to a maximum of 10%.
VII. The Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia shall be free to trade with each other, with all inter-colonial trade no longer taxed by Hispania.
VIII. The Hispanian colonial government of the Americas and Australia shall be free to trade with foreign nations, excluding nations actively at war with Hispania, while Hispania shall retain the right to impose tariffs on this trade.

We, the representatives of the colonial governments of Nueva Granada, Sanchonia, Nuevas Baleares, Nova Hispania, Cusco, Nuevo Leon, Nuevos Valencia, and Nueva Sicilia, submit these proposals to His Imperial Highness, Regent, and the Hispanian Court in the hopes that a proper settlement shall end the unfair and unequal relations between Hispanian and her colonial subjects. If Hispania continues to ignore the plight of her colonial subjects, the Hispanian colonial governments of the Americas and Australia may be forced to take further action to rectify the situation.

((It's about time we stop ignoring the colonies. These proposals have been openly shared at court. We have several options before us. We may accept these demands, thus greatly pleasing our subjects. We can reject them completely and risk greatly damaging relations and perhaps provoking full-out rebellion. We may also propose a counter offer in the attempts of reaching a more preferable arrangement while trying to appease them. Feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves and propose any course of action or counter offers.))

Alexis looked around the throne room after his little speech before resuming it "Of course since we are in need of colonists I believe the Villanova family will be up for the task. So if that is what they wish to do then they are free to follow their centuries long path. So if they so desire I nominte whichever Villanova wishes to take the position as an official crown colonist."

Then the old man felt a sting on his thraot before simply mumbing to himself something about "damn mosquitoes" and the returned to his speech. However only some incoherent ramble came out and everything went blurry as the Prime Minister fell down to the floor, loudly wheezing and trying to get as much air as possible, finding it impossible to breath, Alexis' skin slowly turning purple as his veins started to show up under the purple-ish skin. He struggled for a good minute or two and then his old body lied limp right in front of the throne.

After the court physician finished the autopsy he stated that the cause of death was poisoning with a small dart, which was found stuck into the PMs throat. The poison came from a plant only found in Arabia.

The dart after further inspection by few men working for the TATC was clearly of Arabic origin, having distinct marks on it.

One of the guards reported later that he saw a shady character quickly running of, wearing strange clothes, very similar to those worn by, now dead Prime Minister during the ceremony. The guard also reported that the person running off was nervously mumbling something as they quickly walked off in a strange language that he couldn't understand.

(( @DragonOfAtlantis you (hopefully) still get the appointmet.

And here it is, end of Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre, assassinated right in the middle of the throne room during his speech. I hope I made it clear enough where the assassin comes from ;)

I will post a new character soon-ish. ))