• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A letter arrived addressed to the Emperor. It bears the seal of House Mandromenos.

Greetings to the Emperor of Hispania,

You may not have met me, but I am the Megas Domestikos of Byzantium, a position equivalent to Marshal in your country. I am here to applaud your effort and that of your Army on aiding us in the reclamation of Anatolia. While this gesture will be remembered for all time among the Greeks, there is another concern that needs addressing, the Balkans.

The lands of Serbia and Bosnia, currently split between the nations of Serbia and Hungary, have been Byzantine lands historically, and as we desired to have all of Anatolia, we desire these lands be returned to us as well.

But that is not all! Nay, ancestral claims are only the first justification. As we know, we are in an age of Imperialism, where nations seek to dominate their weaker neighbors and make them submit. As Hungarian has dominated Serbian, Pole dominated Hungarian. The Balkans lands in question are held by weakened nations, ready to be conquered in the name of Imperialism. If we do not seize these lands, they will surely fall to Austrian, Polish, or even Lithuanian influence!

While some of these outcomes may be better than others, the best result for both of us will be to see these lands become Greek once more, since I know my people will not forget such a magnanimous gesture from Hispania. Our people have stood by yours for centuries, with our armies fighting for Hispanian benefit from Mexico to China over the years, aiding Hispania in building their global Empire. I do not believe ensuring the lands of the Balkans and Anatolia is asking too much considering the gravity of our efforts in the past and the threat we face.

What threat you may ask? As the nations of Serbia and Hungary have been wracked by war, their lands have become consumed by chaos. Bandits and other malcontents ravage the land, taking what they please. These savages do not respect national borders and have crossed the extended border, for we have these lands encircled, multiple times, pillaging at will. I have even been stationed with my army in this region to protect the area, forcing me to ignore even wars called for our benefit. While such instances are rare now, I believe that the threat still lurks in Hungary and Serbia, and would like for a solution to the problem by conquering and having a stable nation administer these lands.

Also, I fear that the Regent of Byzantium has poisoned the mind of the Basileus. Surely you have been baffled, as have I, by the decisions of Constantinople since the death of the previous Basileus. Confining the greater part of his army to Corfu was among the greatest of his errors, but fortunately I was able to convince him to reconsider in time for the war with Persia. I do not know any details on how the Basileus and the machinery of Byzantium is compromised, but I intend to find out.

Pausanias Mandromenos, Megas Domestikos of Byzantium.

Things have been quiet in Athens, a great change for the Lords of the city. For the past century, the Mandromenoi have been a fixture at court, either living primarily in the capital or visiting frequently, but not one has been seen in Valencia for six years. Even now, as the Court assembles for the vote, there is a notable absence, Philaretos Mandromenos. What is happening in Athens?

Last edited:
((I think I'll have my character take a fire focus.))

((Private))

"So Bartomeu has been acquitted on the regicide charges."

"Indeed. But at least he's been convicted of corruption."

"So what now?"

"We wait. If anybody else wants to make a move against the emperor, we'll be ready..."

Treasurers plan:
Army maintenance during peace down to 75%
Mothball European Warfleet
Inflation below 2%
Have always atleast 200 ducats in Treasurey.
-------
Enrique was happy when he heared that the colony of Palbang ,funded by his family, finished. He thougt about funding an other colony in Malaysia ((Fund a colony in Malaysia))
-------
After 6 years of good leadership Fernandez was first promoted to an Company and later battaillionleader. In the wars against Egypt and Persia his regiment had a central role in fighting the enemy

A letter arrived addressed to the Emperor. It bears the seal of House Mandromenos.

Greetings to the Emperor of Hispania,

You may not have met me, but I am the Megas Domestikos of Byzantium, a position equivalent to Marshal in your country. I am here to applaud your effort and that of your Army on aiding us in the reclamation of Anatolia. While this gesture will be remembered for all time among the Greeks, there is another concern that needs addressing, the Balkans.

The lands of Serbia and Bosnia, currently split between the nations of Serbia and Hungary, have been Byzantine lands historically, and as we desired to have all of Anatolia, we desire these lands be returned to us as well.

But that is not all! Nay, ancestral claims are only the first justification. As we know, we are in an age of Imperialism, where nations seek to dominate their weaker neighbors and make them submit. As Hungarian has dominated Serbian, Pole dominated Hungarian. The Balkans lands in question are held by weakened nations, ready to be conquered in the name of Imperialism. If we do not seize these lands, they will surely fall to Austrian, Polish, or even Lithuanian influence!

While some of these outcomes may be better than others, the best result for both of us will be to see these lands become Greek once more, since I know my people will not forget such a magnanimous gesture from Hispania. Our people have stood by yours for centuries, with our armies fighting for Hispanian benefit from Mexico to China over the years, aiding Hispania in building their global Empire. I do not believe ensuring the lands of the Balkans and Anatolia is asking too much considering the gravity of our efforts in the past and the threat we face.

What threat you may ask? As the nations of Serbia and Hungary have been wracked by war, their lands have become consumed by chaos. Bandits and other malcontents ravage the land, taking what they please. These savages do not respect national borders and have crossed the extended border, for we have these lands encircled, multiple times, pillaging at will. I have even been stationed with my army in this region to protect the area, forcing me to ignore even wars called for our benefit. While such instances are rare now, I believe that the threat still lurks in Hungary and Serbia, and would like for a solution to the problem by conquering and having a stable nation administer these lands.

Also, I fear that the Regent of Byzantium has poisoned the mind of the Basileus. Surely you have been baffled, as have I, by the decisions of Constantinople since the death of the previous Basileus. Confining the greater part of his army to Corfu was among the greatest of his errors, but fortunately I was able to convince him to reconsider in time for the war with Persia. I do not know any details on how the Basileus and the machinery of Byzantium is compromised, but I intend to find out.

Pausanias Mandromenos, Megas Domestikos of Byzantium.

JpsioAG.png

I'm afraid I am not the one you should be asking. Such a matter of war must be put forth before my court, for it will involve all my subjects. I personally believe war with Serbia may be a good thing, especially with them allied with the Poles. It would be a prime opportunity to weaken Poland and put an end to their expansionist policies that threaten most of Europe. As for Hungary, they are another matter. They are allied to our friends, the Austrians, and thus war with Hungary may well bring us against our friends. Unless there is a way to keep the Austrians from backing the Hungarians, I see no way how Hispania can support such a war. It would still be good to see such lands secured for the Greeks, for a more secure border is preferable to such land remaining in the hands of untrustworthy neighbours.

It is fortunate that Basileus Ioannes rules in his own right now. Byzantium's performance in the past war shows that such problems have been put behind you. Regencies can be ever so complicating, with multiple figures of influence all wanting different things and with no clear figure to take charge. Rally behind your basileus and he can ensure Byzantium remains strong.

- His Imperial Highness, Jaume IV de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((I think I'll have my character take a fire focus.))

((Well until the next update you're shock focus, since I obviously did the update with you as a general already. I'll swap your fire and shock stats now.))

JpsioAG.png

I'm afraid I am not the one you should be asking. Such a matter of war must be put forth before my court, for it will involve all my subjects. I personally believe war with Serbia may be a good thing, especially with them allied with the Poles. It would be a prime opportunity to weaken Poland and put an end to their expansionist policies that threaten most of Europe. As for Hungary, they are another matter. They are allied to our friends, the Austrians, and thus war with Hungary may well bring us against our friends. Unless there is a way to keep the Austrians from backing the Hungarians, I see no way how Hispania can support such a war. It would still be good to see such lands secured for the Greeks, for a more secure border is preferable to such land remaining in the hands of untrustworthy neighbours.

It is fortunate that Basileus Ioannes rules in his own right now. Byzantium's performance in the past war shows that such problems have been put behind you. Regencies can be ever so complicating, with multiple figures of influence all wanting different things and with no clear figure to take charge. Rally behind your basileus and he can ensure Byzantium remains strong.

- His Imperial Highness, Jaume IV de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((Well until the next update you're shock focus, since I obviously did the update with you as a general already. I'll swap your fire and shock stats now.))

I will inform the ambassador from Byzantium and request that he presents this issue to your court as I will not be able. ((All information from the first letter is now public knowledge.))

As for Austria, perhaps history should repeat itself. Your Iron Chancellor in particular. Ask your Chancellor to review the gambit surrounding the Italian War of 1637 to 1644 it will provide the way to avoid fighting your valued allies.

Pausanias Mandromenos, Megas Domestikos

The army is currently in a very good shape. But there's always potential to improve. I have my ideas, but others will claim their attention as well.

-Marshal Alexandre César de Montségur
((No change to marshal's plan))

Wallace had left Tunis when he heard of the revolt. Despite initial successes, Newfoundland's weakness, he was sure of it, brought failure again. Back in Tunis, he wished to change it, once and for all, and vowed to succeed the mext time, throw out the British tyrants.
Most esteemed Court of Hispania, Your Imperial Highness,

As you might have heard, our second uprising against the British oppressors has failed. We seem not to have the necessary resources, or weaklings in Newfoundland. This is why today I address you with a plea: that Hispania supports the inevitable, and may free us. I learned of your concord with France; I knew that you recognised our young nation. The British are an obstacle to both. And as such, I seek your support: May it be a direct intervention; may it be a financial, or indirect military help through men, officers or equipment. The USA would not forget your help.
You will not regret it. I incline myself in front of Hispanian power, and await your decision eagerly.
James Wallace, governor of Tunis, American freedom fighter

((Concerning the French succession, we might as well go historical and install a Bourbon as Emperor; the closest male relative would inherit after the end of the dynasty. Or we might say that the transition to Empire changed the succession law, opening other possible actions.

EDIT:
Cleaned one spoiler. On phone for the next weeks too.;)))

Last edited:
The army is currently in a very good shape. But there's always potential to improve. I have my ideas, but others will claim their attention as well.

-Marshal Alexandre César de Montségur
((No change to marshal's plan))

Wallace had left Tunis when he heard of the revolt. Desite initial successes, Newfoundland's weakness, he was sure of it, brought failure again. Back in Tunis, he wished to change it, once and for all, and vowed to succeed the mext time, throw out the British tyrants.

As you might have heard, our second uprising against the British oppressors has failed. We seem not to have the necessary resources, or weaklings in Newfoundland. This is why today I address you with a plea: that Hispania supports the inevitable, and may free us. I learned of your concord with France; I knew that you recognised our young nation. The British are an obstacle to both. And as such, I seek your support: May it be a direct intervention; may it be a financial, or indirect military help through men, officers or equipment. The USA would never forget your help.
You will not regret it. I incline myself in front of Hispanian power, and await your decision eagerly.

((Concerning the French succession, we might as well go historical and install a Bourbon as Emperor; the closest male relative would inherit after the end of the dynasty. Or we might say that the transition to Empire changed the succession law, opening other possible actions.))
((Is your second letter open to the court? I'm not sure if we're supposed to know about your support for Newfoundland independence.))

((Concerning the French succession, we might as well go historical and install a Bourbon as Emperor; the closest male relative would inherit after the end of the dynasty. Or we might say that the transition to Empire changed the succession law, opening other possible actions.))

((Well I try not to meddle with other country's succession, excluding Byzantium as our vassal, so if the game says they're getting a Trastámara, then that's what they'll get. I would think if the game was set to put a random French noble on the throne, we could use that logic that there is some distant line somewhere, like the Bourbons, that can inherit. Guess I can come up with some cockamamie succession change in the event France doesn't get an heir. The Swedish succession already made me have to make up some weird scenario twice now. :p))

Wallace had left Tunis when he heard of the revolt. Desite initial successes, Newfoundland's weakness, he was sure of it, brought failure again. Back in Tunis, he wished to change it, once and for all, and vowed to succeed the mext time, throw out the British tyrants.

As you might have heard, our second uprising against the British oppressors has failed. We seem not to have the necessary resources, or weaklings in Newfoundland. This is why today I address you with a plea: that Hispania supports the inevitable, and may free us. I learned of your concord with France; I knew that you recognised our young nation. The British are an obstacle to both. And as such, I seek your support: May it be a direct intervention; may it be a financial, or indirect military help through men, officers or equipment. The USA would never forget your help.

JpsioAG.png

I wish to address this letter from one of our American friends. Years ago my uncle, Joan III, announced to the world that he recognized the United States of America as a nation, one independent from Britain. Since he made this decision on his own, we have never been certain of his intent. Did he wish to aid this fledgling nation in its quest for freedom or was it merely an empty platitude to ensure that if a new nation appeared in the New World it would be a friendly one? We can never know now. What we can do is decide how we shall proceed from here. Twice now the Thirteen Colonies and Newfoundland have fought for independence and twice now they have failed. Whether this was due to British superiority or the weaker Newfoundland leading the war, we cannot know. All signs show that they shall make a third attempt some time in the future. It is quite clear that these people desire their freedom. An end to British power in the Americas could be of benefit to us as well. So I wish to present this issue before the court: should we support the independence of the United States of America or allow them to struggle on alone?

((We'll be voting on whether or not to support the independence of the US. We technically can't do it until their truce with Britain ends, but they will accept our help. Keep in mind this may mean a war with Britain at a moment's notice and a new ally taking up a diplo slot in the future, but it also means a weaker Britain.))

It will take some time for us to calm tensions with our neighbours and firmly bring our new lands under control. If we are to claim more land for Hispania, it must be in small amounts or after some time. Removing Tunis once and for all should be near the top of that list, for they will surely be conquered by Morocco if left alone. Oyo is also vulnerable and an easy target. We could also consider threatening Zazzau into handing over their new coastal province in Africa if they are easy enough to convince. Other than this, no major conquests should be pursued. Our focus should be on maintaining good relations with our allies and subjects, and perhaps seeking good relations with the British colonial nations that so ache for freedom. Encouraging trust with the Swedes will be a good path to pursue.

While Hispania cannot allow itself to be seen as a warmonger, we can aid our friends, the Greeks. They have asked for assistance in securing the Balkans, and I believe we should oblige, for this will also help us. Serbia is a weak and easy target, but more importantly they are allied with the Poles. This war could be an opportunity to crush that expansionist power that is threatening much of Europe. The Quadruple Entente should crush the Poles before they can grow even stronger. As for Hungary, with the Austrians aiding us in a war against Serbia, they could be attacked without fear of ruining our alliance with our Austrian friends. None of Hungary's allies should prove a major threat to Hispanian might. This is the time to show all of Europe that Hispania is the strongest of all nations.

- Andreu de Trastámara, Chancellor of Hispania

((So, I will be starting a new job tomorrow (monday) and I will not be able to check in as regularly as now, I will check in when I can obviously but sometimes it will be a bit longer between posts. I will try to give a heads up when I will be gone for a while, usually no more than a week or so :)))

Last edited:
Reactions:
JpsioAG.png

His Imperial Highness, Jaume IV de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks announces his intention to seek betrothals for his two sons, Ferran and Francesc, with young women from prominent families within Hispania.

((I think it's time to marry off some heirs to potential player characters. If anyone wants to play a potential future empress or marry a daughter to a prince, here's your chance. Ferran is born in 1717 and Francesc in 1722, so the actual marriages probably won't happen for a few more years. Just want to arrange the marriages beforehand.))

Alejandro de Leon, Duque de Leon y Asturias, offers his daughter Maria and niece Isabel as brides to the princes. They display qualities and virtues (beauty, loyality, obedience, devotion to faith, and appropriate levels of intellect) which complement and balance out the personalities of the princes and would make fine additions to the royal family. In addition, they are born in 1720 and 1726, respectively, and are of the appropriate age.

((Don't really know what to write here besides that, so assume that my character provided necessary information that I left out here. Also, are you going to update to the new DLC? How will the new heir and queen mechanics work out in that case?))

It is announced that the Mandromenoi wish to offer Sophia, born in 1719, as a bride to one of these fine princes.

((I've waited long enough TATC Council, your time to clear yourself of my name is over. Mwahaha))

((private))

Timur had sent the letter to the TATC Council, but they had not replied. He decided they would not be spared were he caught. It was time, to finish his business in Hispania, right the final wrongs, and leave to the Holy City. One last task, the punishment of those who would defile the Haram, death.

He donned a mask, sharpened his swords and greased his guns, remnants of his career. Soon it would be decided, a conflict that began in the flames of Makkah, and one which Timur hoped would end in the flames of Mandromenos.

Timur attempts to murder Philaretos Mandromenos

((I've waited long enough TATC Council, your time to clear yourself of my name is over. Mwahaha))

((private))

Timur had sent the letter to the TATC Council, but they had not replied. He decided they would not be spared were he caught. It was time, to finish his business in Hispania, right the final wrongs, and leave to the Holy City. One last task, the punishment of those who would defile the Haram, death.

He donned a mask, sharpened his swords and greased his guns, remnants of his career. Soon it would be decided, a conflict that began in the flames of Makkah, and one which Timur hoped would end in the flames of Mandromenos.

(( If he gets caught, our friend gets disappeared. Remember, the good Duke is in Athens not Valencia.))

(( If he gets caught, our friend gets disappeared. Remember, the good Duke is in Athens not Valencia.))

((Athen's shall burn! Mwahahaha! Except the Symposium. And the Lyceum. And the other schools. But everything else, shall burn!))

((Don't really know what to write here besides that, so assume that my character provided necessary information that I left out here. Also, are you going to update to the new DLC? How will the new heir and queen mechanics work out in that case?))

((I have no intention to update my game, seeing as I am still using 1.15.1 and have not updated since they released Mare Nostrum. Patch 1.16 included several map changes, and I've found those tend to break the game in most instances, so I decided to not bother updating. We will not be making use of this new mechanic. Sometimes I swear Paradox is borrowing ideas from my iAAR. First the estates and now ruler personalities! Either that or they know exactly what needs to be added to their games. :D))

((Nothing exciting with the rolls. You just barely escaped discovery and weren't anywhere close to successful, so really nothing happens. Feel free to write up an attempt fitting these results. You may then resume plotting your revenge after that. :p))

((@hirahammad if you want, you can say you found something in Athens while you were there. There is a reason for the sudden absence of the Mandromenoi. You weren't even close, but things are going down in Athens and you should have an idea of what. I will post the details if you want. I was going to start baiting people to go to Athens and discover something horrible and you may have stumbled across it. ))

Last edited:
((Greece))
Strangely, Timur couldn't land in the city of Athens, so instead, he disembarked in the countryside. As he traveled through the farms, he saw few signs of life. The fields lay empty, livestock rare and undernourished, and the houses dark. Fear hung in the air, or perhaps it lay in the heart of one resigned to murder.

He made a spartan camp at the ruins of the Long Walls, and, at twilight, headed northeast towards the city. Tall walls, dark and brooding, await him as he neared, and as Timur lay in watch, he saw the gate open twice. Once, for an escorted convoy of wagons, carrying what smelled like foodstuff.

Strange, thought Timur, that the merchants would travel like so in such a safe country as Hispania. Timur had seen this, but only in war-torn India, never in his new life. The second time the gates opened, was to admit a heavily-guarded, luxurious carriage, regal in its appearance, and bearing the Mandromenos coat-of-arms. Timur would have struck, but he did not come prepared to fight a small army and could only wonder if Philaretos was inside.

((Theme
No law-breaking intended :)
))

Last edited:
As he was returning from an important task that needed the secrecy of the country, the man in the carriage thought he noticed a small camp by the Long Wall. When he got to the city, he had a set of guards investigate the area. Nothing was found and no trail was picked up. The man sighed, and went about his way thinking no more of the matter, and focused on what he learned on his visit.