• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private))

Crown Prince Jaume de Trastámara retired to his chambers, done with his daily duties at court. The moment he was alone, he got himself a bowl of water and splashed his face. He rubbed vigorously at his skin, hoping that by doing so he could wash away his nerves. Ever since his uncle had named him prime minister, he had felt sick to his stomach. He was only 17, still a boy, and yet he had this burden placed upon him. What did he know of ruling a country? The emperor had done his best to teach him such things over the past few years, but it was all so daunting. The fate of millions of souls hanging in the balance of his every decision. But worst of all was his mandatory attendance at the court meetings. Jaume detested public meetings, being forced to talk with people he hardly knew. Even worse was having to present to those same people his ideas and knowing they were judging his every word. It would be so much easier if you could carry out his duties entirely from a desk, away from court and all the people. What was even more terrifying was that he was only prime minister and not emperor. What would happen if his uncle passed away and he ascended to the throne? All that attention, all those people waiting for instructions and direction; he didn't want to think about it. Jaume prayed that Joan would live to 100 and spare him the ordeal.

"You know you're quite cute when you're nervous."

The unexpected voice breaking the silence startled Jaume, making him jump and accidentally spill the bowl of water all over the floor. The bowl, made of wood, bounced and rolled away. He placed his hand against his chest as though the very fright had given him a heart attack. When he turned around and saw who had spoken, he relaxed. "I'm not nervous."

The welcome intruder grinned. "You're a terrible liar. And you should stop worrying so much. Life is full of far too many pleasures to get caught up in the unpleasant bits."

"That's easy for you to say. You're not heir to the throne." Jaume grabbed a cloth and knelt down to wipe up the water, and then went to retrieve the bowl. Before he could, his guest picked it up and offered it to him.

"You'll make a great emperor one day, if you just take the time to relax." Smooth hands found their way to Jaume's shoulders, slowly working the tension out of his muscles.

Jaume calmed down a little bit more with each touch, letting some of his worries slip away. Still, a few could not escape him. "Perhaps, if only I have the time to learn. I find the idea of leading such a large empire quite daunting."

"You'll just need to surround yourself with wise advisors and competent ministers. You will have little trouble ruling with someone capable by your side." The massaging hands started digging in Jaume's back, and the crown prince found himself gravitating towards the bed.

Sitting down on the edge of his bed, Jaume purred contently as delicate fingers caressed his skin. Despite that, his mind was still an anxious whirlwind. "And that is another thing. My uncle has married me off to some Greek princess I have never met. What if she's cruel or stupid? What if she weakens my future reign rather than strengthens it? She could be a complete bore and I'll be stuck with her forever."

"Stop worrying," Jaume's guest said with a laugh. "Perhaps she will be a bore, and maybe even look like the rear end of a horse, but as long as you bed her every once and awhile to produce an heir, you can ignore her all you want."

"You don't think the court would respond poorly to me neglecting my wife? They could use her against me."

"I believe Empress Francesca set a fine example as to why the emperor's wife should never be let even remotely close to the reins of power. No one would dare side with the empress over the emperor."

"A fine point." Jaume let out a contented sigh as the massaging hands worked their way down his back. There was still one more matter to worry about though. "Once my wife arrives at court though, we may not be able to see each other anymore."

Lips pressed against the back of Jaume's neck and he suppressed a shiver. "Ashamed that your wife might find out about your lover?"

"Well it's not exactly something I want her or anyone else finding out about."

"Then continue to keep it a secret. It's not like you're going to be parading me around on your arm at court anytime soon."

Jaume wasn't entirely convinced. "But she'll be around me often, and we'll have to share chambers at some point. She'll find out."

Gentle hands grabbed Jaume's shoulders. "How many times do I need to tell you to stop worrying? No one has found out about us in the two years since we started this whole thing and you getting married won't change that."

"Perhaps we should end this before we get caught," Jaume said, his nerves getting to him again.

Jaume found himself spun around to face his lover, chocolate brown eyes staring into his. "If we end this now, I can guarantee you'll regret it. You'll miss me."

Jaume couldn't help but smirk. "I probably would, but it's getting dangerous."

"Then perhaps I should remind you of exactly what you would be missing."

The crown prince was forced down onto the bed, his clothes soon tossed aside. And in the throes of passion that followed, he knew that there would be no ending this affair.

Nicolás spoke to Pausanias Mandromenos again.
"I understand your concern for your nation, trust me, I would also like to see a strong Byzantium."
Nicolás took a breath before he continued.
"But then it is the matter of what happened in Mecca. A mosque can be rebuilt, pillars erected again. But the Kaaba... that was too much. Sure, they are heathens, but remember that Hispania practices tolerance. There was a time when that kind of action would be applauded all across Hispania. But those days are long gone."
Nicolás paused. "In order to rule a different people efficiently, the people must be happy, and happy people are content people. And content people will not revolt.
How can we be sure that if we allow Byzantium to proceed with this war, either with or without Hispanias help, the conquered people will be treated fairly, even if they are different?"

Nicolás sat down again.

((@DragonOfAtlantis I'm so sorry for forgetting you :oops: Can we all just agree that there was one less councilman and one more free seat? Because the one I left open was an NPC I kinda planned to appear later one. Also I would prefer to keep the Crown out of this meeting :p ))

((TATC))
"Ah, Sancho!" The head greeted the colonists, the kind smile once more appeared on his elderly face "Do not worry, you haven't done anything wrong! We have nothing against you. And we were in the middle of interviewing general Shah over here. We seem to share many views. But let us proceed." The elder merchan said, slowly stroking his beard, his eyes half-closed "So you think it would be best to continue with our plan and help develop these lands thanks to trade? If we set up trade posts we might be able to contribute to the rebuilding, maybe even help to bring civilization to them. And we do not mean to say that the men living there are uncivilized, but it is hard to not see that they are behind in some aspects."

Nicolás spoke to Pausanias Mandromenos again.
"I understand your concern for your nation, trust me, I would also like to see a strong Byzantium."
Nicolás took a breath before he continued.
"But then it is the matter of what happened in Mecca. A mosque can be rebuilt, pillars erected again. But the Kaaba... that was too much. Sure, they are heathens, but remember that Hispania practices tolerance. There was a time when that kind of action would be applauded all across Hispania. But those days are long gone."
Nicolás paused. "In order to rule a different people efficiently, the people must be happy, and happy people are content people. And content people will not revolt.
How can we be sure that if we allow Byzantium to proceed with this war, either with or without Hispanias help, the conquered people will be treated fairly, even if they are different?"

Nicolás sat down again.

I would remind you that it was a Hispanian General and a Hispanian Army that sacked Mecca. That General may share his name with mine, but I am not him. The lands in question are historically part of the vassal kingdoms of Armenia and Georgia, we would not dare violate our ancient oaths to those peoples. Invaders, on the other hand, do not deserve that treatment. But they would be given the chance and ability to return to their rightful places, be it Italy or Persia.

I see that many of you have already made your decision on this matter. I would like to remind you though, that your decision here will impact future of our two nations.

*Pausanias turns to the Emperor*

I thank you for allowing me to speak here this day, and for your hospitality. I hope you are able to guide your Empire to a correct decision, and not make a mistake.

*Pausanias turns and walks out of the room*

Alexandre watched the Greek leave stoically. Now he proposed to see the Genoese return to Genoa - Hispanian land. Certainly they will seize the first occasion to head back to the city whose name their state still has, when it is in the hands of the very same enemy who first drove them out of said city and who would be responsible for the loss of their second home. Certainly. Byzantium has no choice in foreign policy - and that's the end of the story.
Montségur then left as well, having something more important to do. His bride had just arrived, princess Marie de Valois, sister of Emperor Henri III, and the time of his marriage had come. His grandfather had organized a match with one of the most powerful lines of the world, confirming his own dynasty's influence. This would not be the end. Apparently, judging from the box that Alexandre had just received, there already is one king in the family. The story of the box, causing a mutiny on the ship it was on before a wave washed away all mutineers, made him fairly certain that there could only be one man who sent this.

Royal life is not one Maximilien de Montségur was suited to. Perhaps it would be, but not in a kingdom that conserves its isolation with all its might. He grew bored, and realized that his new wife didn't age like him. He shuddered at the thought of being some kind of eternal king consort and made a plan to escape without being noticed. Only the return of three of his Saguenayan companions made it possible. Stealing himself away at night, he could just tell his young children to keep good care of their mother in his absence and promise to return some day. He had a search to complete, and wouldn't rest at least until he had found it. Reaching a French Louisiana in turmoil after a long journey, he did send his crown back home, all while enjoying some skirmishes with rebels. Back on track.

((It's finally Monday, so time to start the vote. First off, only alscon and Mach Twelve nominated themselves for the Cortz, and with two spots available, they both get in. Seeing as no one presented names for the future colonial nation in California, I suppose the emperor gets to choose. :D Now we have two major things to vote on. The first is choosing which pope to recognize, either the original pro-Hispanian pope in the Vatican or the new pope in the newly created Papal State in Frankfurt. The second is on how to react to Byzantium's desire to pursue war against both Persia and Genoa. Here we have four choices. We can allow them to declare war on their own, we can take charge and declare war ourselves, we can force them to delay the wars until we are ready, or we can condemn these wars and hope they listen. I shall include screenshots of the events involved, although the pope one is included with random other stuff from the update.

Recognize Pope: Vatican/Frankfurt/Abstain
Byzantium's Wars: Allow/Join/Delay/Condemn/Abstain

Players will have until Thursday at 12PM PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class.

zT62Yx0.jpg

zl32LaH.jpg
))

After returning to his mansion, Alexis rested in his private study, trying to calm down after his outburts in front of the entire court. After letting go of his anger he decided to write a letter to Alexandre de Montségur, with an offer that would benefit both sides

Dear Duke,
It is fairly obvious that Sicily is a very important trade center for all trade that's going through the Mediterranean. And this is where I come to you with an offer. I'm sure you want your domain to prosper, and I would love to see my company flourish. I think that both of us cooperate we can achieve both of these things. I shall keep my letter short to not waste your an my time. I would gladly contribute to development of Sicily by funding a new city nearby Palermo to act as a TATC center in the area. On paper I propose that both of us rule over it, however I cannot be bothered to govern a city, thus leaving you as it's only ruler. Everything shall by funded by me, so do not worry about emptying your coffers. It would also be lovely if we could discuss some special rights for all TATC merchants operating in Sicily, of course for the right price.
Respectfully,
Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Grandmaster of Hispania, Grand Admiral of the Hispanian navy, head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company

After finishing the letter, Alexis decided to go for a walk, heading once more to the Royal palace, in search of the Crown Prince, in order to discuss few things, mainly things related to the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, however he had few other things he wished to talk about with the young Prime Minister.

Recognize Pope: Abstain
Byzantium's Wars: Delay

[ courtier, Grand Admiral, Grandmaster, merchant, funded colony ]

((TATC))

"Yes," Timur replied, "the region of the Hejaz has for centuries prospered due to trade between Syria and Yemen. Of course, with the state of affairs in the Levant, that would be dampened, unless we supported them. I believe we should empower trade routes between Yemen and the Holy Land. If we could vassalize Yemen and Hejaz, perhaps..."

((Recognize Pope:Frankfurt
Byzantium's War:Join

Timur Shah, courtier))

Monsieur de Saint-Pierre,

As obvious as Sicily is important for the Mediterranean trade, as obvious this offer is one that I will accept - of course only after some modifications. However, I am the Duke of Trinacria. It is in my lands that you wish to erect that city - and these lands stay mine. There is no division on paper. I am willing to cede some special rights to the TATC, but I am not willing to let a company rule my lands. You can found the city, it can serve as local headquarter of the TATC, we may discuss any further special rights for your merchants at a later moment, but there is only one ruler beneath His Imperial Highness on Sicily, and this person is me. But isn't it the usual procedure to demand more than one thinks one can get under merchants? I am removing that part you could only hope for, and what remains is beneficial for us both.

I believe we may reach an agreement soon.
Alexandre César de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Count of Calabria

myKh8vJ.png
The matter of the pope is one for the Catholics of the empire. Concerning Byzantium, I have clearly explained my stance on that matter.

((Recognize Pope: Abstain
Byzantium's Wars: Condemn

Alexandre César de Montségur
[Duke, Cortz]))

There are only two correct options: Delay or Join, but as I see it, better to do it now than later.

Pope: Abstain
Byzantium: Join
((Duke/Steward/Treasurer/Colony/Cortz))

The only true pope is the one first elected and recognized by the catholic world, not the new impostor who decided to show when we claimed our rightful place as Ceasar of Rome.
After much deliberation, I have concluded that we are more than prepared to ensure our own stability and also help Byzantium in their war.

Pope: Vatican
Byzantium: Join

Nicloás de Alvaro, Duke of Sardinia and Corsica and Chamberlain of the Cortz

[Duke, Chamberlain, funded colony]

Byzantium's Wars: Delay, let the so-called "hero" achieve an actual feat of heroism first...

Byzantine Wars: Allow

Andronicus sat in his study pondering affairs.

For too long had His Anatolian Lands been referred to by a Turkish name, populated by Turkish people. That had to change. He submitted his request to the Emperor.

((Culture Convert Mentese to Greek

Change Province Name to Mylasa
Change Capital City Name to Mougla))

Marti was getting very old now. He had hardly enough strength to walk, let alone command troops. For a man who had led Hispania's armies to victory and liberated both Rome and Paris, surpassing even the fame and glory of his grandfather, it was an ironic fate, but he didn't feel bad, as it was all according to God's plan. He himself was a grandfather now, older than his grandfather was when he died. He hadn't attended court in many years now, instead sending representatives to Valencia to participate in politics for him while he managed family affairs. His grandson Alejandro was showing promise in areas of diplomacy and rulership. Perhaps it was time for the House de Leon to change its purpose and its path in the world? Then again, Alejandro was also a top graduate at the military academy and a devoted soldier. He was also a devout Christian dedicated to serving God and helping out the common people. Marti did not know what he would do once he became the head of the family upon his own death. Ruler, soldier, theologian...all were great occupations for a de Leon. He didn't dwell on it much, for he wanted to attend the court one last time, to offer his advice on the papal situation and the eagerness of the Greeks to expand against their rivals. Then he would go home and rest. He had done so much in life. Marti felt it was time to pass the torch to a younger de Leon who would carry on the family's legacy.

Recognize Pope: Vatican
Byzantium's Wars: Delay

~Marti de Leon, Duque de Leon y Asturias

((Just got back from vacation, new character will be created sometime this week.))