• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private))

Emperor Joan III gathered his daughters together, for it was time to speak to them of marriage. Peronella, the eldest, had already been married once to the previous archduke of Austria, but he had passed away five years ago before the couple could conceive a child. Now 35, it seemed best that she be remarried soon before she was unable to bear children. The second daughter, Estrella, had recently entered her twenties and was the most beautiful, although she was also the most fiery of the three. The youngest, Candela, was a sweet girl of 14 already blossoming into womanhood. He had rarely had the occasion to spend time with them all, but he could not delay this much longer.

When Joan called upon his daughters for this meeting, Estrella, as usual, took the lead. "What do you want, Father? Is something wrong?"

Joan did his best not to grin. His daughter could be so worrisome at times. "Do not fret, my dear. I only wish to discuss your futures."

"You intend to marry us off, don't you?" Peronella said. Seeing as she had already played her part in the dynastic game, she knew how these things worked.

Both Estrella's and Candela's eyes lit up at that. The youngest, usually so quiet and reserved, bubbled with excitement as she said, "Is it true? Are we to be married?"

Joan couldn't help but smile at Candela's enthusiasm. The girl was a hopeless romantic, spending most of her days reading romances and fairy tales. No doubt she envisioned her marriage to be a grand affair.

Estrella pushed her younger sister aside, a triumphant look on her face. "So who shall I marry? A prince? A king? An emperor?"

Joan cleared his throat awkwardly. "Not exactly."

The second daughter's expression dropped, and she seemed on the verge of throwing a tantrum. Peronella rolled her eyes and pushed her aside, depriving her of her moment of attention. "Perhaps you should just tell us of our future husbands then."

Joan nodded, looking first to Peronella. "My dear Peronella, I have arranged a most important marriage for you. Surely you have heard that with the recent loss of the crown prince of Sweden, that puts you next in line for the Swedish throne. If by some chance King Karl VIII Gustav does not produce an heir, you will likely be queen, and I wish to ensure your position will be secure. An influential duke, one Gustav Vasa, has recently been widowed and seeks a new bride. He will make a suitable match, especially since his ancestor ruled briefly as king during one of Sweden's independence wars against the Danish in the 15th Century."

"So that means I shall be departing for Sweden this time then?" Peronella said. "I think I might have preferred Austria."

"What are you complaining about?" Estrella said, sneering at her sister. "You have a chance to be queen of an entire country, and in your own right." She turned to her father and flashed a grin. "So who is the lucky man that gets to wed me. Perhaps someone from an influential family?"

"Why yes, your intended is from one of the most influential families in Europe: the Habsburgs."

Estrella's expression dropped at that. Soon she was having a full-on tantrum. "You intend to marry me off to those miserable Austrians as Peronella's replacement, even as they disrespect us over Lucca! I won't do it."

Joan gently grabbed her by the shoulders and tried to calm her down. "No, no, not at all. Your husband is from the Hungarian branch of the Habsburgs."

Estrella stopped her tirade for a moment. "Is he in line for the throne, at least?"

"Lajos von Habsburg is the king's second cousin, so not exactly, but he is a powerful duke and a personal favourite of the king."

The young woman thought it over for a moment. "I suppose being wife of member of a royal family and a duke in the king's favour is somewhat acceptable."

"And what of me, Father?" Candela chimed in.

"You, my dear, are to be married to Demetrios Palaiologos, nephew of Basileus Manuel IV."

Candela blushed and clasped her hands together. "I've heard the Greeks are a romantic people, both intelligent and passionate."

The youngest daughter's fawning over the prospect of her future husband was soon interrupted by another tirade by Estrella. "Father, why would you do this to me? Peronella is to become a queen and Candela gets married off to a man who could even end up basileus one day, while all I get is some Hungarian duke who all he has going for him is a personal friendship with his second cousin the king. Life is so unfair!"

Bursting into tears, Estrella stormed from the room. Joan was in shock as to what to do, but Peronella grabbed his shoulder to comfort him. "Let her go. She'll get over it soon enough."

"She didn't even stay to see the portrait."

Candela perked up immediately. "You have portraits of our future husbands?"

Joan stepped over to the far wall, where he pulled aside a drapery to reveal three portraits. The first was a distinguished looking gentleman with a finely pointed beard and piercing eyes. Peronella merely shrugged at the appearance of her new husband, figuring that she could do worse for a man of 40. The second, the Hungarian duke, was ruggedly handsome, and surely Estrella would change her mind if she had stuck around to see it. As for the third, it showed a young boy, barely into puberty, with a pleasant complexion and confident smile. One couldn't exactly call him handsome, although he might be too young to make that judgment yet, but Candela took one look at him and started fanning herself with her hand. Joan was perplexed by her reaction, but Peronella had a knowing smirk on her face.

"I suppose I should start arranging the weddings," Joan said. He then let out a sigh. "This certainly won't be cheap."

"That's what you get for having three daughters," Peronella said, clapping her father on the back before leaving the room.

After the eldest daughter left, Candela surprised her father with a hug. "You're the best, Father. I can't wait to meet my husband." She glanced at the portrait and giggled. "I wonder if he's read the classics. Or maybe he's an expert horse-rider. I hope he writes poetry."

Mumbling to herself about the hoped for traits of her future husband, Candela started to wander from the room. Just before she was to leave, she whipped right around and scurried over to the portrait. Looking to her father, she asked, "Can I hang this in my room?"

"If that will make you happy, you most certainly can."

Candela squealed and wrapped her arms around the portrait. It was almost too big for her to carry, but she managed to lift it and take it with her. Joan laughed to himself at her attitude. Now he just had to announce the marriages to the court.

((Public))

JpsioAG.png

I wish to announce to the court of the impending marriages of my three beloved daughters. My eldest daughter, Peronella, shall be wed to Duke Gustav Vasa of Sweden in hopes of securing her place in that country in the event that she find herself on the throne. My second daughter, Estrella, shall be wed to Duke Lajos von Habsburg of Hungary in hopes that the union will encourage greater cooperation between our two countries that have not always seen eye to eye. My youngest daughter, Candela, shall be wed to Demetrios Palaiologos, nephew of Basileus Manuel IV, a symbol of our everlasting friendship with the Greeks. I wish the happy couples most joyful and fruitful marriages.

Now for affairs of state, I wish that we discuss the prime minister's suggestion regarding Lucca. Shall we grant Austria both Mantua and Novara while keeping Lucca and Cremona for ourselves? It would be an even division of the Italian state, and perhaps might be acceptable to the Austrians. I wish to hear any other suggestions or thoughts on this one. This matter is of great import.

- His Imperial Highness, Joan III de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((I've thought over what would happen if the game placed a Trastamara on Sweden's throne and I've decided that while I will mod in Peronella as queen if that happens, I will not be taking control of the Swedish royal family as I have with the Trastamaras and Palaiologoi. I feel it would be bit too much work and kind of gamey to control another independent country's royal family. What I will do is ensure that Peronella has a son and he succeeds her to ensure that the Vasa family gains the throne in the end, upon which I'll end my meddling. Of course this will only occur if the game does not provide a new heir and places a Trastamara on the Swedish throne first.))

JpsioAG.png

Now for affairs of state, I wish that we discuss the prime minister's suggestion regarding Lucca. Shall we grant Austria both Mantua and Novara while keeping Lucca and Cremona for ourselves? It would be an even division of the Italian state, and perhaps might be acceptable to the Austrians. I wish to hear any other suggestions or thoughts on this one. This matter is of great import.

- His Imperial Highness, Joan III de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

I approve of dividing Lucca between us equally. The Austrians have been good allies, and we should not discard that over a few parcels of land.

JpsioAG.png

I also aprove of dividing Lucca equally, this would strenghten both us and Austria, and the alliance as a whole.

Andronicus sat in his study, reviewing his current workload. Things were going well, while he may prefer a period of time of internal development instead of conquest, he knew that the lands of Hindustan and Cathay needed to be conquered for the Empire. Perhaps the Economy needed to be reformed. The concept of bonds was a novel one, if not a Hispanian one, and he thought that the Treasury could take a greater role in managing the industries of the Empire to prevent the inflationary problems that have plagued it recently.

((Calling for a Reform like the reforms that we had for the Army.))

As he sat there pondering, he heard a knock at the door. A Greek man stepped in.

"Who are you?" Andronicus asked.

"A messenger from your cousin"

"What does that madman want from me?"

"Same thing he wanted a few years ago. Do not fail again."

"Tell my cousin that I do not take orders from him. Hispania has interests and problems beyond the Balkans and Anatolia. The Genoese and Persians can wait."

"The Megas Domestikos will not wait for his ally's support for too long, soon he will engage the fools on his own. And he has the support he needs to do so."

Alexis read the offer made made by the grandmaster and couldn't help but laugh at it. That man just didn't get it, does he...

"Dear Grandmaster, you must be joking, thinking I would accept this. If you truly care for the well being of our glorious nation, then you must understand that Hispania requires a much stronger navy. The trade fleet is already vast enough, and do not forget about the various trading vessels owned by the trading companies operating in our Empire. So please, just allow me to go through with my plan, or I fear horrible things might happen in the future."

((Letter to his majesty, Joan III de Trastámara))
To his majesty, Joan III, Emperor of
Hispania,Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks,
I humbly request the position of Colonist for the Empire of Hispania. I feel that I am not welcome in Hispania, so I seek to make my adopted home country greater from afar, in her imperial empire.

Yours humbly,
Vladimir Pugachev

Norumbega was even friendlier to him than Saguenay. Another, though totally different Nordic settlement. Almost felt like a colder home for Maximilien de Montségur. With his tales and the trust that one immediately placed in him, he became a close friend of the ruler of Norumbega, like the Jarl of Saguenay. But instead of leading raiding groups, he gained the hand of the king's only child, and found himself King Consort of Norumbega after his new father-in-law fell deadly ill. The second... or the third? Like years, who counts that. Enjoying royal life for now, unlike his companions, he roughly described the way to the source, thanks to detailed maps of his new hosts, and gave them a box to send to Palermo from French Louisiana. A long journey lay ahead, but he hoped to see them again.

Félicien sighed as the ministers still squabbled. It had to end soon, he was getting too old for keeping two children from fighting. Children... that reminded him he had to take care of his grandchildren's marriages as well. 'You have it easier again, haven't you', he said to the golden figurine on his desk. 'Others work hard for it, and that includes me. Prime Minister and Chancellor, I'm sure you would be proud of me if you cared.' He continued to write and finished his declaration to the court.

myKh8vJ.png

It is time to present my plan for the Chancellory. I feel that the equal compromise with Austria over the Luccan territories is agreeable to all parties and encourage the court to support it. As I do the integration of Rome; but concerning this, I am willing to offer a compromise to the fervent Catholics. My plan as Chancellor consists of further working towards a Mare Nostrum, and for that aim, a declaration of war shall be issued against Egypt. As a result, Antioch and what forms the region of Syria shall go to Byzantium, while the Holy Land, and as far as the administration allows it the Egyptian coast, shall be conquered by Hispania. Taking Jerusalem back into Christian hands should help acceptation of our integration of Rome. The compromise I was speaking of was that if one does decline my integration act, the Papal State might be relocated to Jerusalem - for Rome has more value to the Caesar of Rome than Jerusalem, heart of the religion. The pope would be free of any Hispanian influence, while the empire would guarantee its independence against the Arabs.
I wish to issue a last warning for the Grandmaster and Grand Admiral to agree on a course for the navy. His Imperial Highness already spoke of consequences, and these consequences will be for both of you.
With the death of Marshal de Leon, the position will be left vacant for now. No high-ranked general is able to fill that post at court, and the only one who is at court doesn't seem to know who he really is.

Félicien Pierre de Montségur, Prime Minister and Chancellor of Hispania, Duke of Trinacria and Count of Calabria

((Chancellor's plan: continue to threaten war against Morocco/Tunisia when the time is right. DOW Egypt with the declared goals.
Also, improve relations with Catholic countries, though I'm sure idle diplomats already do this all the time

Depending on how it is received, we might have to include both my Integration Act as well as the compromise proposal in the next vote.))

Since we currently have a lack of generals, and the Marshal is empty, I would wish for the Prime Minister or Emperor to appoint my nephew, Philaretos Mandromenos, Sergeant Major General of Hispania to the rank of Lieutenant General. May his talent in army maneuver serve us well.

((Note I am still technically marshal, but since I'm on vacation I'll let it go. Sorry for being so inactive!))

Marshal de Leon announces that due to his advanced age and health concerns, he shall henceforth appoint Andronikos Mandromenos as Acting Marshal and grant him all important powers associated with the title.

((Note I am still technically marshal, but since I'm on vacation I'll let it go. Sorry for being so inactive!))

Marshal de Leon announces that due to his advanced age and health concerns, he shall henceforth appoint Andronikos Mandromenos as Acting Marshal and grant him all important powers associated with the title.

((You actually just died as you've hit 100 years. :p
Besides, I'm the one doing the appointing :mad:.

Enjoy your vacation BTW.))

Alexis read the letter from the grandmaster and couldn't help but smirk. If he put just a bit more pressure then he would get a result much closer to what he wanted. Just a little more...

I finally see that you're starting to get to your senses. But I still will not accept this. The only one I would willing to even consider would be 25 warships and 5 trading vessles.

Last edited:
((Letter to his majesty, Joan III de Trastámara))
To his majesty, Joan III, Emperor of
Hispania,Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks,
I humbly request the position of Colonist for the Empire of Hispania. I feel that I am not welcome in Hispania, so I seek to make my adopted home country greater from afar, in her imperial empire.

Yours humbly,
Vladimir Pugachev

JpsioAG.png

It is unfortunate that you feel unwelcome in this fair country, but I gladly accept any willing to aid the empire's colonial efforts. You shall serve as a Crown Colonist and aid efforts to spread Hispania's influence across the globe.

((You can now take requests from players to start colonies for them. We haven't had two player colonists before, so each one can have their own list and I'll try to stick to them as best I can. Either that or both just use the same list. I've been keeping track of all offers and doing them in the order they were posted, which seems to be the order DragonOfAtlantis puts them in for his colonist.))

With the death of Marshal de Leon, the position will be left vacant for now. No high-ranked general is able to fill that post at court, and the only one who is at court doesn't seem to know who he really is.

Since we currently have a lack of generals, and the Marshal is empty, I would wish for the Prime Minister or Emperor to appoint my nephew, Philaretos Mandromenos, Sergeant Major General of Hispania to the rank of Lieutenant General. May his talent in army maneuver serve us well.

JpsioAG.png

Seeing as Marshal Marti de Leon has stepped down and there are no high-ranked generals to take his place at court, as Prime Minister Montségur has pointed out, and Leon's prefered replacement is unable to hold another office, I shall temporarily take up the duties of the position until a suitable replacement is found. The army cannot be neglected in this important time. I will be drafting up an expansion plan for the army shortly.

Due to our need for more talents generals, I will gladly promote Philaretos Mandromenos to Lieutenant General. ((I'll add him to the game with maneouvre focus, but I'll need a birth-year.)) As for Louis de Soneta, who while not making much appearance at court has been a great boon to our army, I shall raise him to the rank of field marshal to take command of the army in the field.

((zenphoenix, seeing as you're on vacation, don't worry about trying to make a new character right away. I'll exempt you from the usual removal of titles, etc when reaching 100 and not making a new character.

It has also come to my attention that there seems to be an opening on the Cortz I missed, or else someone filled it and I missed them. Landed nobles are free to nominate themselves, and I apologize for rushing this since I missed it to begin with. I also noticed the Spam picture was messed up and that has been fixed too.))

JpsioAG.png

After a careful study of the army, I have devised the following changes. These, of course, may be changed by our next marshal if he so pleases.

First, all existing armies shall be reorganized to an even 30k men, with 15k infantry, 5k cavalry, and 10k artillery. This should make our armies more in-line with existing military reforms designating field armies at a recommended 30k, slightly more manoeuvrable and better able to avoid attrition, and make it easier to split the armies for missions requiring smaller forces. This also applies to the Exercit Colonial, which should be made stronger to better carry out wars overseas, especially now that we have the transports available to carry such a large army. This should cause our armies to equal roughly 150k men, 1k less than already available. That brings me to the next stage of the plan.

Second, new recruits shall be drafted up alongside those excess regiments shuffled from other armies to reform the Exercit Athens and to create a new army named the Exercit Madrid, to be stationed in central Iberia, formed along the same lines as our other armies. That should bring our army up to 210k men. At that time, an inspection of the empire's finances shall be conducted to determine the impact of these new armies on the empire's surplus.

Third, if the impact of the previous two armies is not enough to greatly reduce our surplus and threaten financial instability, a new army named the Exercit Firenze shall be recruited and stationed in Northern Italy. That should bring our army up to 240k men. Another study of the empire' finances shall be conducted, but no further expansion of the army shall be conducted until the court reconvenes to ensure we leave amble room for possible reorganization of the army.

((If there are any other characters in the army, active or otherwise, now would be the time to seek promotion. ;)))

((It's a shame that Fausto, my character's son, is technically still a lieutenant, as I never had time to make any ICs, which was the original arraignment between me, ML and 05. At least he has 26 years of seniority... Over other lieutenants :p))

((It's a shame that Fausto, my character's son, is technically still a lieutenant, as I never had time to make any ICs, which was the original arraignment between me, ML and 05. At least he has 26 years of seniority... Over other lieutenants :p))

((Well seeing as most the lower roles are for RP purposes, you can just post some small IC about him having been promoted years ago and now being a colonel, brigadier, sergeant major general, etc. Then you can request a promotion for him. I'm not expecting every player to roleplay every moment or promotion in their military career. :p As long as they've been part of the army already, it's good.))

Timur was relieved that the Prime Minister thought so lowly of him. With the Marshal nearing his retirement, he knew there would be a successor chosen, and there was always the possibility it might be him. He was considering resigning his generalship to forestall it, but fortunately it was not required. He decided to make headway on his major goal, the promotion of Prosperidad. Therefore, he found a location frequented by most of Valencia and the court, not including Duke Etxeto, and began a speech.

"What does it mean to be prosperous? How does one measure prosperity? When many of us think of wealth, we think of it in a ducat value. But is that really all? I don't believe that ducats don't matter, but they aren't everything. Perhaps ask the question: what does one ducat get you? Or rather, what does one day of work, or an acre of land today get you, as opposed to a century ago. That is how our system works. We trade either work, or land, for currency. We use money to buy things, but how wealthy we are is correspondent to what that currency gets us. One thing we spend our money on is light. Over the years, the price of wax has steadily decreased. An hour of light used to require a day of work, or an acre of land, for example. But now, an hour of light costs half a day of work, or half an acre of land. Over a few short decades, the price of light has dropped in half. Why? Innovation, and Specialization. These two things are connected. People specializing in a certain field leads to technological innovation, and then the people that specialize in this new innovation create new technological innovations. It's cycle that makes living as an average citizen in the 16th century better than living like a German prince did in the year 1200."

((Part 2 coming later))