• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Name: Vladimir Pugachev
Nationality: Lithuanian (Moskva area)
Class: Courtier
Religion: Orthodox
Birth year: 1680
Bio: Vladimir had a young wife, and a small child who died in 1701, under suspicious circumstances. Left grief-stricken, and alone, Vladimir left Lithuania for a new country, Hispania. He arrived at the court with a bit of diplomatic training, and a lot of hope for his new life.
((Note: is still depressed from the deaths))
((Hello :)))

The Restoration of the Papal State Act: No
I do not believe we have the ability to hold the Papal State accountable for an unrest it may provoke.
Mission: Canton

((Timur Shah, courtier))

((sorry to both Hira and Dragoon who have voted already, but here is another law I wanted to try and get passed, as well as mike, for goofing your order, which had been so good till now :( ))

The Handling of Crime and Punishment Act

All crimes against the state are to be put before the small council, and the body shall decide whether the accused individual is guilty of the crimes in question, it is then up to the crown to decide the punishment it sees fit to bestow on those found guilty, to an intended level equal to that of the level of crime they commit.

((sorry to both Hira and Dragoon who have voted already, but here is another law I wanted to try and get passed, as well as mike, for goofing your order, which had been so good till now :( ))

The Handling of Crime and Punishment Act

All crimes against the state are to be put before the small council, and the body shall decide whether the accused individual is guilty of the crimes in question, it is then up to the crown to decide the punishment it sees fit to bestow on those found guilty, to an intended level equal to that of the level of crime they commit.

((Would have been nice for this to be posted before the vote, but I suppose I'll add it in anyway. @DragonOfAtlantis and @hirahammad are free to vote again to include this one. Also, while I remember, hirahammad, I still need a stat focus for your general.))

((I think it is in my power, but considering that I want to do he exact opposite of Pere - that is, integrate the Papal State - we might have to vote on this as well. I believe some who oppose Pere may want to keep the status quo.
And welcome @jacobweller , though don't expect your character to get a warm welcome :rolleyes:.))

myKh8vJ.png

I have already stated my reasons why I believe we must integrate Rome into the empire. And crimes against the state deserve to be judged by the small council for their guilt, so that there may not be any personal differences weighing into that decision.

Félicien Pierre de Montségur, Prime Minister and Chancellor of Hispania, Duke of Trinacria and Count of Calabria

((The Restoration of the Papal State Act: No
The Handling of Crime and Punishment Act: Yes
Mission: Papal State
[Duke, PM, Chancellor, Cortz, Diplomat, funded colony]
))

((I think it is in my power, but considering that I want to do he exact opposite of Pere - that is, integrate the Papal State - we might have to vote on this as well. I believe some who oppose Pere may want to keep the status quo.
And welcome @jacobweller , though don't expect your character to get a warm welcome :rolleyes:.))

((I was considering making it a separate vote, but since no one proposed it as a law and it conveniently showed up as a mission, people who want to annex it can just vote for the Papal State mission. Obviously those who want the status quo can just choose a different mission and vote against the Restoration of the Papal State Act. The situation would get even more confusing if the Viceroy Superior then made a plan that included the Papal State. :p))

1. Papal States Act: Yes. As part of our religion, we should restore the holy see, to gain respect in the eyes of other Catholic countries.
2. Abstain
3. I believe we should try to gain a foothold in the East Indies. We also could do with the extra trade power, to increase our revenue.

((Vladimir Pugachev))

The Treasurer was heard shouting that the Grandmaster and Grand Admiral needed to learn to operate with another under the constraints he stipulated. It was also heard that the Treasury will not be funding shipbuilding until the two figure out how to expand our Navy without overdoing it.

Papal States Act: Nay
Crime and Punishment: Yea
Mission: Canton

1. Papal States Act: Yes. As part of our religion, we should restore the holy see, to gain respect in the eyes of other Catholic countries.
2. Abstain
3. I believe we should try to gain a foothold in the East Indies. We also could do with the extra trade power, to increase our revenue.

((Vladimir Pugachev))

((Do we have any subject nation's?))

((The Papal State and Byzantium are our vassals, although we don't technically recognize the latter as such. We more "protect" them. We also have a ton of colonial nations I won't bother naming, as well as one OPM protectorate in South America. And I'm assuming by East Indies you mean Canton for that third vote? Just want to make sure.))

((The Papal State and Byzantium are our vassals, although we don't technically recognize the latter as such. We more "protect" them. We also have a ton of colonial nations I won't bother naming, as well as one OPM protectorate in South America. And I'm assuming by East Indies you mean Canton for that third vote? Just want to make sure.))
((Yes, Canton))

Reactions:
((Private))

"Brother, we need to talk."

Emperor Joan suppressed a groan, for it seemed Pere had so much more to talk about these days, and all of them involved him telling Joan what he should do. "What is it this time?"

Pere, so caught up in his domineering need to get his way, didn't even notice Joan's annoyance. "You must take a stance on this Papal State issue."

"And pray tell what that stance should be?"

"We must return Rome to them. We cannot continue this facade where everyone acts like His Holiness is not a Hispanian subject while he's completely surrounded by us and compelled to do whatever we say."

Joan let out a sigh. "The Pope does not answer to us. The Vatican is independent of Hispania, as is the Catholic Church."

Pere sneered at that. "Perhaps on paper, but not in reality. All the status quo achieves is compromising an entire faith and risking the ire of the Catholic world. Do not forget all our allies are Catholics."

"I have not." Joan said, already exasperated with this conversation. "I have also not forgotten all the problems previous popes have caused us when they controlled both a state and the Church."

"Can you blame them? Your predecessors allowed the creation of the abomination we call the Church of Jesus Christ. We practically wallow in heresy, and it's a miracle the Catholics haven't tried to destroy us utterly. Must be due to our overwhelming strength and strong relations with the most powerful Catholic nations."

Joan's expression grew grave, tired of his brother's continuous attempts to manipulate his opinion. "You would do well not to mock the Church of Jesus Christ. It has brought Christians together better than anything we've seen in a millennium."

Pere let out a snort. "Yes, let's be friendly with the heretics, all while forgetting that we're condemning them to an eternity in Hell for our tolerance."

This was clearly going nowhere. Joan rubbed at his forehead in frustration. "Regardless of who is right and what you think, Hispania is at peace with itself, more stable than any empire its size." When he noticed Pere was about to interject, Joan added, "And as for the Papal State, restoring it could be just as dangerous to that stability as annexing Rome outright."

"So you oppose any annexation then?" Pere said, only hearing what he wanted to hear.

"As I have stated many times, I support what the court supports, for a ruler must rule with the consensus of his subjects. If they deem it necessary to take direct control of Rome, then it has my support. If they wish to restore the Papal State, then I will support that as well."

The crown prince remained silent for a moment, mulling over the emperor's words. "You seem to forget the primary task of a ruler, and that is to rule. A ruler who takes orders rather than gives them will soon find himself made irrelevant."

"I've had enough of this conversation," Joan said with an irritated sigh. When his brother continued to stand there, he gave him a grave stare. "Now leave me, and that, my dear brother, is an order."