• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(("Cologne was making gains again, this time taking Limburg from Cologne.";) ))

Timur Shah had quickly moven up the ranks to command of a Division ((The last one before in-game general, I believe)), but his ambitions had not yet been fulfilled. He wished to be in command of a field army, making moves on the global stage, spearheading operations, in command of himself. Therefore he sent a letter to the Marshal.

Sir Marshal Leon,

I humbly ask that you consider me in the appointment of Lieutenant Generals.

Humbly,
Sergeant Major General Shah

Timur Shah also asks to the court and His Majesty the Crown Prince as to the consequences of a state violating Clause VI of The Restoration of the Papal State Act.

(("Cologne was making gains again, this time taking Limburg from Cologne.";) ))

Timur Shah had quickly moven up the ranks to command of a Division ((The last one before in-game general, I believe)), but his ambitions had not yet been fulfilled. He wished to be in command of a field army, making moves on the global stage, spearheading operations, in command of himself. Therefore he sent a letter to the Marshal.

Sir Marshal Leon,

I humbly ask that you consider me in the appointment of Lieutenant Generals.

Humbly,
Sergeant Major General Shah

Timur Shah also asks to the court and His Majesty the Crown Prince as to the consequences of a state violating Clause VI of The Restoration of the Papal State Act.
Sergeant Major General Shah,

Your request shall be granted. You will be appointed to the position of Lieutenant General at once and given an appropriate field command. May your career be long and glorious!

Regards,
Marti de Leon, Duke of Leon and Asturias and Marshal of the Realm

((Sorry for not being as active, I've been quite busy lately))

((That's fine. Some may not notice, but I often go AWOL for a few days... or a month. :)))

Andronicus in his study near the University of Valencia. He had spent the past few years convincing some of his colleagues to transfer to the new University of Athens, and already it was being referred to as the second greatest School of Law in the Empire, behind Valencia. It was good for a City known for its history of philosophy to return to its roots, while the Mandromenoi claimed to be of Spartan Legacy, he was proud to be part of Athens's restoration.

He decided to look through his recent written requests. Asking for an appointment, Asking for monetary support, Asking for a son or daughter in marriage, Insults for various decisions, especially the Inflation issue that had gone unaddressed for too long, not for good reasons. But then something interesting arrived. Andronicus read through it, and decided to make the contents of the letter public.

((My Plan:

Continue my previous policies from the last two turns
Start reducing inflation to 0 when we get ADM Tech 24, and try to limit our need for ADM power elsewhere while we are doing both of these.
))

To My Cousin, the Duke of Athens,

As your Superior as your House's Patriarch, I demand that you support the following policy changes in Hispania.

1. The remaining Lands of Anatolia held by Genoa and Persia are to be conquered for Byzantium
2. The lands of Serbia, held by the Polish must also be integrated into Byzantium
3. The Island of Rhodes must be placed in Greek Hands

Signed,
Pausanias Mandromenos, Strategos and Doux of Morea and Trebizond, Domestikos ton scholon, Prōtomagistros, Logosthetes tou stratiotikou, Patriarch of All Mandromenoi, and your Fourth Cousin once Removed

((No worries. I realize people have real lives that take priority. There may be others seeking promotion too. I seem to remember alscon and DragonOfAtlantis having non-active characters in the army, but they'd have to verify this for me.))

I would imagine the consequences would be the same as any circumstance where a nation breaks a legally binding agreement between two powers, that being international condemnation for the violator as untrustworthy scum and presenting the insulted party a legitimate cause to seek retribution. In our specific circumstance, we would surely earn the ire of every Catholic nation in the world if we started meddling in the Holy See again and could well see them conspire against us, while any attempt by the Papal State to interfere with the Church of Jesus Christ will present us with a valid reason for war.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara

((I'll need a stat focus for your general.))

((On a related note, I've decided that players must now include birth years for all non-active characters given a role or leader position. Seeing as active characters can be removed due to age, it seemed appropriate to make this apply to non-active ones as well. It'd be silly to keep around some of them indefinitely because I never knew their age. At the moment, I only have Louis de Soneta listed as non-active, so if @ML8991 could provide his age, that'd be great.))

Last edited:
((No worries. I realize people have real lives that take priority. There may be others seeking promotion too. I seem to remember alscon and DragonOfAtlantis having non-active characters in the army, but they'd have to verify this for me.))

((My heir is now a colonel (?) for over a decade, so I've asked for promotion a bunch of times :p. Stat focus would be fire.))

myKh8vJ.png

In my opinion, the proposal of the Crown Prince to release Rome is a fatal error, and on the contrary, we have to integrate Rome into Hispania. There have only been problems ever since the creation of that state, a mistake in itself; and we have to ask ourselves what the revolutionaries wanted. Fight the dominating unjustice in that state, firmly Catholic despite our tolerance acts. Unjustice that goes as far as to extend their territorial claims against their benevolent overlord to oppress more people and build up more power to act against imperial interests. Then there's the position of the pope to consider, a man who has been the enemy of the empire for ages, and who cowers behind his walls - after the nations of this world recognized our rightful ownership of Rome, because of a weakness of the Chancellor at that time. No, we cannot restore an independent Papal State in Rome, we have to integrate the eternal city into the empire. The demands of the revolutionaries are mostly useless in our enlightened realm. His Imperial Highness also holds the title of Caesar of Rome, a title that is deeply rooted in the city, and therefore holds great symbolic value. We shall continue not to interfere in the Pope's spiritual affairs, but Rome is Hispanian. And has to be formally integrated as soon as possible, not released from the empire.

As for the Chancellory, this matter has highest priority to be resolved. Afterwards, Hispania shall continue to concentrate mostly on colonial matters:
With the Mayans constantly at war, Nova Hispania should be encouraged to aggressively expand into their territory, if necessary with the aid of Imperial troops.
We shall continue to make demands for the Mediterranean coastline against Morocco and Tunis.
As His Imperial Highness suggested, Hispania shall take Lucca. France's interests in the region should be satisfied with what consists of Switzerland, I will sit down with the Austrians to speak about Mantua later.
A colonial war to secure our new colony on Brunei shall be the next focus. As we extend our reach in the spice islands, controlling the biggest island will be important.

I will also reflect on the Mandromenos' letter. I cannot help but feel that the man acts based on his own interests and is badly informed. As doux of Trebizond, of course he would like to see the city back in Byzantine hands, what will likely happen some day, but certainly not now. Serbia is no longer ruled by the Poles, and hardly a priority target. As for Rhodes, such unilateral demands will not be considered. Why Rhodes, fairly unimportant, instead of Athens, a major Greek city? Because there is no Mandromenos ruling there. I would have expected more from the Treasurer than to unveil such blatant demands to strengthen his family. Unlike these demands that deserve complete neglection, I feel that after the current plan of the Chancellory has been completed, war shall be pursued against Egypt, with the aim of restoring Antioch to Greek rule, and seize the Holy Land for Hispania.

Félicien Pierre de Montségur, Prime Minister and Chancellor of Hispania, Duke of Trinacria

Reactions:
In my opinion, the proposal of the Crown Prince to release Rome is a fatal error, and on the contrary, we have to integrate Rome into Hispania. There have only been problems ever since the creation of that state, a mistake in itself; and we have to ask ourselves what the revolutionaries wanted. Fight the dominating unjustice in that state, firmly Catholic despite our tolerance acts. Unjustice that goes as far as to extend their territorial claims against their benevolent overlord to oppress more people and build up more power to act against imperial interests. Then there's the position of the pope to consider, a man who has been the enemy of the empire for ages, and who cowers behind his walls - after the nations of this world recognized our rightful ownership of Rome, because of a weakness of the Chancellor at that time. No, we cannot restore an independent Papal State in Rome, we have to integrate the eternal city into the empire. The demands of the revolutionaries are mostly useless in our enlightened realm. His Imperial Highness also holds the title of Caesar of Rome, a title that is deeply rooted in the city, and therefore holds great symbolic value. We shall continue not to interfere in the Pope's spiritual affairs, but Rome is Hispanian. And has to be formally integrated as soon as possible, not released from the empire.

The actions of the Vatican are coaxed from desperation brought on by their current circumstances. They feel surrounded and dominated by Hispania, and rightly so. They merely wish for breathing room, as surely any small state would when faced with a larger neighbour. We have already shown in the past that we will strike against them if they go against our interests, even if they are pursuing policies beneficial to the Catholic faith. As for this opinion that the revolutionaries feel the state is unjust for remaining Catholic, that is surely a falsity. We cannot praise tolerance and then get miffed when people in a region choose to stick to a single religion. It is the epicentre of the Catholic Church, and thus Catholicism is expected to dominate. I do not see people complaining that the majority of our New World colonies, as well as Byzantium, choose to remain Catholic. If we further threaten the Vatican by then taking the rest of Rome, they will become even more desperate, and desperation leads to drastic action. I do not want the Catholic world turning against us simply because we decided that Rome was better off directly in Hispanian hands instead of a vassal state.

As for Duke Mandromenos's cousin, I do not see how his opinion on Hispanian policy should matter at all. He is a Greek vassal, not a Hispanian one. Perhaps if the Basileus shared his interest, we might take his advice seriously, but that is not the case at the moment. Regardless, his first proposal is sound, for surely one day it would be in our benefit to see Byzantium's neighbours weakened at their expense. I'm afraid the second makes little sense, for Poland holds no land in Serbia, unless he is referring to the defunct personal union or perhaps Wallachia. As for the third, it is unacceptable. Rhodes was granted to the Crown under the condition that it would protect the island as a sanctuary for the Knights. To pass that land to anyone else would be a violation of that trust and an affront to the knightly order.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara

Be careful what you speak of, even in letters. Such talk leaves an unsavoury taste in my mouth, and are not measures I would choose to pursue. I would prefer to seek the higher ground here and see change through legitimate means. However, if it becomes clear that the empire is in peril, I will not hesitate to act for the interests of Hispania.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara, Duke of Murcia & Count of Alicante

Of course it would be much better to seek a solution that would not break the law, but we have to remember that the good of the entire nation is at stake and if we will be forced, we have to do anything just to save every Hispanian from certain doom.
I also have few concerns about your recent proposal, however I shall keep them to myself and support it either way.
Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Grand Admiral of Hispanai, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, loyal serveant of the Crown and Empire of Hispania

I feel that it is time to expand out fleet even further by constructing more heavy ships at our finest dockyards and more galleys in the smaller worshops and naval yards. I think that for now we should construct additional 14 twodeckers and 10 more archipelago frigates. I also think with the reach of our empire it is time to split the navy into two, one, which shall be stationed in Valencia, and knowns as the Grande Armada d'Hispania, having 25 twodeckers in it with 60 archipelago frigates to support them. The other feel, being renamed to Armada Colonial which will have all the remaining ships and shall operate in the Indian Ocean. All the new ships shall be added equally to both fleets

Last edited:
Of course it would be much better to seek a solution that would not break the law, but we have to remember that the good of the entire nation is at stake and if we will be forced, we have to do anything just to save every Hispanian from certain doom.
I also have few concerns about your recent proposal, however I shall keep them to myself and support it either way.
Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Grand Admiral of Hispanai, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, loyal serveant of the Crown and Empire of Hispania

I feel that it is time to expand out fleet even further by constructing more heavy ships at our finest dockyards and more galleys in the smaller worshops and naval yards. I think that for now we should construct additional 14 twodeckers and 10 more archipelago frigates. I also think with the reach of our empire it is time to split the navy into two, one, which shall be stationed in Valencia, and knowns as the Grande Armada d'Hispania, having 25 twodeckers in it with 60 archipelago frigates to support them. The other feel, being renamed to Armada Colonial which will have all the remaining ships and shall operate in the Indian Ocean. All the new ships shall be added equally to both fleets
((A Problem: I already ordered 20 ships. We now have the same problem we had two chapters before. And we have room for twentyfour ships not for 44))

Sorry, I am a bit late, but may I join?

((It's never too late, so feel free to join. Just make sure to read over the rules and then make a character using the outline. If you're wondering what's happening, read the last couple entries or feel free to ask. :)))

Reactions:
Name: Vladimir Pugachev
Nationality: Lithuanian (Moskva area)
Class: Courtier
Religion: Orthodox
Birth year: 1680
Bio: Vladimir had a young wife, and a small child who died in 1701, under suspicious circumstances. Left grief-stricken, and alone, Vladimir left Lithuania for a new country, Hispania. He arrived at the court with a bit of diplomatic training, and a lot of hope for his new life.
((Note: is still depressed from the deaths))
Paranoid, cunning, brave

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just a quick question: has Scotland been annexed by anyone during the last 40 years?

((Yes, GBR exists, you can see it in the maps at the end of each update.))

((Actually, if you take a closer look, you might notice a little yellow in the Faroe Islands, so they're still hanging on, if just barely.))

((Time to kick off the vote. Only three things to vote on this time. We shall be voting on whether we want to restore the Papal State aka release them from vassalage, as well as how we handle crimes and punishment. We also get to pick our next mission, which I have included a screenshot below of the choices. It should be noted that one option is to integrate the Papal State, so if that is chosen I will start diploannexing them. If by some odd reason both the Restoration of the Papal State Act and the Papal State annexation mission pass, I suppose the emperor will be forced to actually make use of that veto. :p

The Restoration of the Papal State Act: Yes/No/Abstain
The Handling of Crime and Punishment Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Mission: Ivory Coast/Papal State/Canton/Abstain

The vote will end on Friday at 12PM PST. All players should include their character's name and class.

MF6VKPJ.jpg
))

Last edited: