• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@Michaelangelo If you want to have a scandal for the week, by all means go for it.))

((@Michaelangelo please not :p it is still embrassing enough that i forgot to look at the class. But a Scandal, still if it is a RP scandal would be my death. i would laugh to much about me and my little stupid brain:D))

((Lol, I won't do it then. It was an optional-only choice anyway, so I definitely won't force it on you. Would have been funny though. :p))

((On an unrelated note, I've completed my changes to the coup system. When I first designed the system, I wanted to tie it to revolt risk because I wanted coups to require the support of the people or those outside court to succeed. However, this only really makes sense for the larger-scale coups, like changing the state religion or government type. The smaller-scale coups, like changing the council or forcing the emperor to abdicate, didn't really fit this category. Logically, most coups of that nature would be carried out solely within the court behind closed doors. Thus I created a new system similar to the assassination mechanic that uses VP to determine chance of success, which I've called private coups. The old system is still there and still usable, although with revolt risk so low it is unlikely to be used any time soon. I've now defined that system as public coups. Both can be used, although the private coup is limited in scope while the public coup can be used for all the listed types, and only one coup can be attempted per turn. I've also added in the ability for royals to get involved. Originally I kept them out because I associated most coups as an attack on the government, and thus the royal family. However, as I fleshed out the royal family over the generations, it's become clear that each character I create is an individual and thus should not be excluded simply for being royal. I've limited it to notable royals though, so no third-cousins popping out of the woodwork to participate, just those I've mentioned in IC or who hold titles, although the latter most likely won't get involved unless it's serious. They will be treated as nobles when it comes to VP, although the heir and emperor get a bonus. And yes, the emperor can participate, although he will most likely rarely do so. You never know when he might find himself constrained and forced to act through other means. :D))

((Just a suggestion: If you get a low-stats King, I think you should play him as a complete idiot with narcissistic, aggressive, tendencies, whose actions directly go against the good of Hispania. Most of the kings have either been great, or indifferent, and while I think you communicate that difference very well, the Court has never really had to oppose the King. It would add drama, and a reason to coup.... ?))

Last edited:
((Just a suggestion: If you get a low-stats King, I think you should play him as a complete idiot with narcissistic, aggressive, tendencies, whose actions directly go against the good of Hispania. Most of the kings have either been great, or indifferent, and while I think you communicate that difference very well, the Court has never really had to oppose the King. It would add drama, and a reason to coup.... ?))

((I do try to RP the emperors based on their stats, but I mostly focus on their personality as best as I can, which of course is determined by their stats. So low stats don't necessarily mean narcissistic or aggressive, and actually some with higher stats can be worse than those with lower ones. Ferran V was 2/5/5 but was incredibly full of himself, while his father Francesc I was only 3/3/3 but led with a firm but capable hand. Blame the game for giving me perfectly average stats for most of our emperors for them being so decent or indifferent. However, I will say that there is a certain child in line for the throne who may be the most inept monarch we will ever see. Speaking of that.... :D))

((Private))

Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara sat down with his Saxon wife Heidi, watching over his two little boys. He had just walked his daughter Clara down the aisle, marrying her to a distant cousin. Now he could enjoy watching his two boys, Alfons and Jaume, grow up. At the moment, Jaume, only a year old, was lying in his cradle, cuddling with a stuffed horse made of cloth that one of the servants had sewed up for the child. Alfons, who had just turned six, had a wide collection of toy soldiers laid out before him, setting them up in mock battles. Pere noted that these battles mostly involved bashing the soldiers together rather than any sound strategy, but then again the boy was only six. After a minute though, Alfons threw the soldiers aside, bored of them already. He shyly eyed his parents as he edged towards the crib of his younger brother. Alfons watched his brother coo and gurgle as he snuggled his horse. A glint appeared in the older boy's eye, and he suddenly snatched up the horse, holding it tight to his chest. It took but a moment for Jaume to start crying.

"Alfons, don't take your brother's toy!" Heidi said, strutting over to her son.

Alfons cowered as his mother approached. His lip quivered as he said, "But why does Jaume get a stuffed horse and I don't?"

"Because your brother is a baby," Pere said to his son. "Play with your soldiers."

"But I've played with them so much," Alfons said. "I want a stuffed horse!"

Heidi patted her son on the head. "I'll get the servants to make you one then."

"But I want this horse!"

Heidi hummed and hawed for bit. "I suppose we can make another for Jaume then."

Pere growled under his breath at his wife's submissiveness. He rose of his seat, and said with a firm voice, "Alfons, that toy is your brothers. Return it to him this instant."

Alfons jumped at his father's command and dropped the horse back in the crib. Jaume took a moment to notice its return, but quieted down once he had his arms wrapped back around it. When the baby was settled down, Pere grabbed Alfons by the arm and dragged him from the room.

"Alfons, you will not treat your brother like that. You will not take his things."

The boy started to whimper and tears formed in the corner of his eyes. "You're so unfair! I should get all the toys, not Jaume!" Without another word, Alfons ran from the room in tears.

"You're too hard on the boy," Heidi said as she entered the room.

"And you're too soft on him," Pere said. "The boy needs to grow a backbone and stop taking things that aren't his. Did you know that one of the servants reported that a locket of theirs had gone missing? I found it in Alfons's room. He's got light fingers, apparently."

"He's still young," Heidi said. "It's just a phase."

"I certainly hope so."

Reactions:
((I do try to RP the emperors based on their stats, but I mostly focus on their personality as best as I can, which of course is determined by their stats. So low stats don't necessarily mean narcissistic or aggressive, and actually some with higher stats can be worse than those with lower ones. Ferran V was 2/5/5 but was incredibly full of himself, while his father Francesc I was only 3/3/3 but led with a firm but capable hand. Blame the game for giving me perfectly average stats for most of our emperors for them being so decent or indifferent. However, I will say that there is a certain child in line for the throne who may be the most inept monarch we will ever see. Speaking of that.... :D))

((Private))

Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara sat down with his Saxon wife Heidi, watching over his two little boys. He had just walked his daughter Clara down the aisle, marrying her to a distant cousin. Now he could enjoy watching his two boys, Alfons and Jaume, grow up. At the moment, Jaume, only a year old, was lying in his cradle, cuddling with a stuffed horse made of cloth that one of the servants had sewed up for the child. Alfons, who had just turned six, had a wide collection of toy soldiers laid out before him, setting them up in mock battles. Pere noted that these battles mostly involved bashing the soldiers together rather than any sound strategy, but then again the boy was only six. After a minute though, Alfons threw the soldiers aside, bored of them already. He shyly eyed his parents as he edged towards the crib of his younger brother. Alfons watched his brother coo and gurgle as he snuggled his horse. A glint appeared in the older boy's eye, and he suddenly snatched up the horse, holding it tight to his chest. It took but a moment for Jaume to start crying.

"Alfons, don't take your brother's toy!" Heidi said, strutting over to her son.

Alfons cowered as his mother approached. His lip quivered as he said, "But why does Jaume get a stuffed horse and I don't?"

"Because your brother is a baby," Pere said to his son. "Play with your soldiers."

"But I've played with them so much," Alfons said. "I want a stuffed horse!"

Heidi patted her son on the head. "I'll get the servants to make you one then."

"But I want this horse!"

Heidi hummed and hawed for bit. "I suppose we can make another for Jaume then."

Pere growled under his breath at his wife's submissiveness. He rose of his seat, and said with a firm voice, "Alfons, that toy is your brothers. Return it to him this instant."

Alfons jumped at his father's command and dropped the horse back in the crib. Jaume took a moment to notice its return, but quieted down once he had his arms wrapped back around it. When the baby was settled down, Pere grabbed Alfons by the arm and dragged him from the room.

"Alfons, you will not treat your brother like that. You will not take his things."

The boy started to whimper and tears formed in the corner of his eyes. "You're so unfair! I should get all the toys, not Jaume!" Without another word, Alfons ran from the room in tears.

"You're too hard on the boy," Heidi said as she entered the room.

"And you're too soft on him," Pere said. "The boy needs to grow a backbone and stop taking things that aren't his. Did you know that one of the servants reported that a locket of theirs had gone missing? I found it in Alfons's room. He's got light fingers, apparently."

"He's still young," Heidi said. "It's just a phase."

"I certainly hope so."

((Mwahaha. All according to plan.))

((Indeed, looks like it will be all the easier to convince this court to the whims of other leaders muahahaha hahaha))

It is good to hear that my concerns are shared by others. My brother is too concerned with appeasing everyone that he refuses to see the consequences of such an action. Not everyone at court has Hispania's best interests at heart. Those living on the fringes of the empire do not know what is best for it. We must turn back to the Iberian heartland and strengthen the core of Hispania. Only then will the empire be strong. I assure you that I will continue to oppose my brother's misguided attempts at decentralization, and if I require support in such endeavours, I will make certain to contact you. I can only hope that you will be as willing as I am to take drastic measures if necessary.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara, Duke of Murcia & Count of Alicante

Your Royal Highness,
Of course you can count on my support, no matter what it will require of me. I shall try and siphon away some TATC funds, in case we will need them, be it for forged documents, assasins or even in the worst case scenario, escape from Hispania, if we would be discovered.
Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Grand Admiral of Hispanai, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, loyal serveant of the Crown and Empire of Hispania

Dear Admiral,
i know you are a enemy of decentrilazation and in this special moment i share your concerns.
The concentration of power for the steward is something that will destroy our empire soon enough. we have to work together to stop this idiotic and bad law.
with regards
Sancho de Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange
Grandmaster of Hispania
Count in Provence,
Only legit prince of Orange,
Prince of Aux-en-Provence
Baron of Greoux les banis

Dear prince of Orange,
Of course we have to work together if we wish to see out country stay strong and flourish. I also believe that weak Hispania might go against your own personal intress, give that you call yourself the prince of Orange, yet you do no possess the land that would give you the right to that title. A weak Hispania would be no match for the power that is France after all.
Sincerely,
Grand Admiral of Hispanai, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, loyal serveant of the Crown and Empire of Hispania

Regional Administration Act (Amendment): No
Triumvirate Administration Act: No
Civil Service Act: Yes

[courtier, merchant, Grand admiral, funded colony (??) ]

myKh8vJ.png

As only Her Highness the Dowager Empress has stated a desire to become Viceroy Superior, I hereby appoint her to this ministry. I trust that her experience in Hispania will serve her well as Viceroy.

The Empress dowager votes accordingly
Administration act with amendment: NO
Triple Stewards: Abstain
Civil Service: Yes

Your Royal Highness,
Of course you can count on my support, no matter what it will require of me. I shall try and siphon away some TATC funds, in case we will need them, be it for forged documents, assasins or even in the worst case scenario, escape from Hispania, if we would be discovered.

Be careful what you speak of, even in letters. Such talk leaves an unsavoury taste in my mouth, and are not measures I would choose to pursue. I would prefer to seek the higher ground here and see change through legitimate means. However, if it becomes clear that the empire is in peril, I will not hesitate to act for the interests of Hispania.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara, Duke of Murcia & Count of Alicante

1700-1706 – A New Century

Hispania’s trading empire had grown tremendously over the centuries, from a Mediterranean focused one to a global empire. Such an extensive system required great difficulty managing it, and it was Grandmaster Sancho de Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange who was tasked with doing just that. At the prodding of the emperor, he reorganized the Crown’s merchants to best serve the empire, sending the most experience merchants to the most important trade zones. There were a few months where Hispania’s trade income dropped drastically, but it returned to normal soon enough. ((I decided to reassign all our merchants so that the ones on top of the list are in the more important nodes, as according to the grandmaster’s list. This way, if we temporarily lose a merchant, it will be one in a less important trade zone.))

With a new plan to claim Mutapa’s coastline, the Flota Colonial turned back around to secure the Exercit Athens for transport. It was also around this time that that army was given a new name. Seeing as it was no longer stationed in Athens and the army was more needed for the defence of Africa, what with Byzantium able to protect the small Greek territories of Hispania, the army was renamed the Exercit Africa.

Poland’s ambitions did not stop as it captured a province from Frankfurt, extending its presence further into the heart of the Holy Roman Empire. A few months later, they did the same with Pomerania, and even managed to force Lithuania to hand over two provinces. This caused a drastic change in international relations. While once Lithuania had seen Poland as an ally, now they were their greatest rival. It was quite a surprise when a message arrived from Lithuania in Valencia expressing a wish to normalize relations. Hispania was apparently too far away compared to the more nearby threats to bother with.

The army reforms had made it much easier to find willing recruits for the army. With a little financial incentive, even more could be convinced to join, even in the farthest parts of the empire like Africa.

Across the Atlantic, French Louisiana pressed further east by conquering land from Creek, giving it a border with the Thirteen Colonies, a British colonial nation.

A minor crisis broke out in Byzantium as a group of disgruntled peasants, led by local burghers and military officers, rose up in Achaea. The Exercit Africa had not been deployed yet, so it was rerouted to Athens and then marched on Achaea, mostly to ensure the rebel force did not go after Athens. It was not a terribly difficult battle, and the rebels were scattered after almost two weeks of on-and-off fighting.

The grandmaster’s reorganizing of Hispania’s trade networks did have one great advantage. Greater focus was given to Asia, allowing for an influx of goods to flow in along the East Indian trade route. Hispania found itself with a near monopoly on these foreign goods in Europe, although France was making headway into the region. The goods that brought in the most wealth were spices, seeing their prices rise and Hispania take in the bulk of the revenue. But, of course, Hispania could not just sit on its successes. Another 8 trade ships were placed under construction, later extended to 10, which were assigned to Sevilla until a better location could be found.

The Trans-Atlantic Trading Company broached the topic of further expansion in East Africa to improve its competitive edge in the region. Seeing as Chancellor Félicien Pierre de Montségur had already made plans to connect Hispania’s East African territory through war with Mutapa, it was not a difficult request to agree to. Emperor Joan III promised the TATC that the province of Madanda would be secured for them.

With funds secured from Hispania’s growing trade presence, the first of several universities listed under the Civil Service Act could be constructed. Navarra, Madrid, and Lisboa received the first ones, followed by Leon and Granada and then the various provinces in Italy and Greece. It was expected that they would all be complete within a decade.

It seemed that revolution was on the mind of many people in 1700. Revolutionaries rose up against the Vatican, requiring the Exercit Napoli to intervene. The Papal forces were greatly outnumbered, but it did not take long for Hispanian troops to arrive and end the rebellion once and for all.

In September, the Mamluks decided to reform the state. They had managed to avoid war with Hispania for decades, and in that time had managed to expand into North Africa and Arabia. They looked to the future with ambition, but the state needed to catch up. Thus the country underwent extensive changes, the most noticeable from afar being the change in name. Centralizing power in Cairo, the nation of Egypt was thus born.

Despite tensions with the colonies, Didac de Alagon managed to weasel every last ducat out of them through tariffs. This was proving to greatly benefit Hispania, which was quite stable for a global empire. This made up for the loss of military advisor Ferran Amic, who was replaced by his second-hand man, Jeroni d’Empuries.

While Hispania had not used mercenaries in well over a century, it was always nice to have a backup plan. Agreements were drafted up with some notable mercenary companies, ensuring there was always someone that could be called upon during dire times if manpower became low.

The efforts by the Crown to secure Florida Blance for Nuevo Leon were a great success. This sign of Crown support for colonial efforts saw a growing influx of settlers moving to the colonies.

While the vast amount of wealth coming in from the colonies was great for Hispania in the short term, it was having some long lasting effect, in particular regarding gold from Nova Hispania and Cusco. With the arrival of each treasure fleet, more gold and silver found its way into the economy, and thus larger amounts of currency were spread throughout the empire. This caused inflation, something that had usually been kept in check, but as of late had been allowed to rise above 5%. While rising prices were not a great burden to Hispania yet, it was starting to be felt. Emperor Joan thus made a recommendation that the treasury store up some extra currency reserves for the time being, at least until inflation had deflated a bit. ((Picked a mission to hoard 2000 ducats that lowers inflation for us. Such an easy mission. :D))

Despite potential financial troubles and colonial disagreements, that did not stop tariffs from being raised when they could, this time on wool from Cusco.

Saxony experienced a breakthrough as an alchemist in their country discovered how to make porcelain, a secret until now kept by the Far East.

Relations with the Papal State had slowly recovered over the years, but they took another nosedive as the current pope requested that Urbino be returned to them as a sign of good faith. Despite Joan’s willingness to negotiate with the Papal State over matters, he outright refused to hand over any land to them, seeing as that would violate the treaty the two powers had signed. Urbino would remain in Hispania’s hands.

Chancellor Montségur, while waiting for troops to arrive in East Africa, put pressure on Morocco to cede the province of Dahra, a strip of land on the Mediterranean standing between Hispania’s two North African territories. As usual, the African nation cowered at the possibility of war with Hispania and handed over the province without a fuss.

Elsewhere in Africa, Sweden made an unexpected appearance in Luanda on Kongo’s border. Why the Swedes wanted anything to do with Africa was beyond anyone’s comprehension.

By September of 1701, the two armies were in place and war ready to be declared. Mutapa was about to face the might of Hispania.

The Exercit Africa, which had been stationed to the south preceding the declaration, marched north for Mutapa’s fort in the interior. The Exercit Colonial was trapped in the north, unable to proceed further south until they captured the fort at Lindi. The Exercit Africa did manage to force a fleet from port. The waiting Flota Colonial only managed to sink a single ship before the fleet fled to another safe port.

Beset from all sides, Yemen was forced to hand over several provinces on the Persian Gulf to Persia, as well as sell out their ally Baluchistan.

Mutapa’s army made an appearance near the end of the year, reclaiming the coast and then marching on the fort at Angoche. The Exercit Africa held off on attacking them, waiting to capture the interior fort first.

Some minor noble families had moved to Africa and found themselves right near the war theatre. Two such houses squabbled with each other, trying to benefit the most from the current war. The emperor did his best not to get involved in their petty dispute, letting them fight it out over some African land that would end up dominated by the TATC anyway.

Mali used Hispania’s constant aggressive wars to foster separatism in Hispania’s West African provinces. It caused some dissent, but the region remained relatively calm. ((Our revolt risk is so low even +15 to unrest can’t get it above zero in those provinces. :p))

Stockpiling cash reserves paid off, allowing time for inflation to lower, as well as providing plenty of funds for building projects. The last of many cathedrals were being put up, while training fields were being set up in a few key provinces across the empire.

Hispania’s humanist tendencies, whether towards its citizens or religion, was not being received well by its neighbours. Many were calling it a rogue state, and even its allies were showing concern. Perhaps it was time to roll things back. The nobility were already losing power in this changing system.

Yemen lost even more provinces, this time to Ethiopia, an embarrassing loss on their part.

In a turn of events, Zapotec found themselves outmatched by the tiny Kiche and lost most of their provinces, despite Kiche having been significantly smaller than them.

Manikya fell in October of 1702, giving Hispania freedom of movement in Mutapa’s heartland. Before the Exercit Africa could intervene against Mutapa’s army, they managed to capture Angoche, so the Hispanian army flittered around, capturing provinces while waiting to lure Mutapa into battle. It was during this time that Mutapa’s navy was forced from port yet again, and this time they did not escape.

A small Greek army landed in Mutapa and marched around capturing provinces, even managing to capture Zimbabwe, Mutapa’s capital.

A new settlement sprung up in Baiali, meaning more people to tax.

Lindi fell in March of 1703, and it was then that it became clear that Mutapa wanted to contest that, with their army heading north. The Exercit Africa could not intervene, not with the fort at Angoche blocking their way. The Exercit Colonial thus faced an army larger than their force with superior leadership, but better technology and tactics proved the greater. Mutapa’s army was driven from the field.

Mutapa’s army had only one way to run, and that was south. The Exercit Africa was already in Angoche trying to retake the fort, and thus blocking off the path south. Mutapa’s army ran right into them, and being already demoralized, was easily defeated.

The remainder of the enemy navy, which had been hiding in Mozambique, was forced out into open waters and sunk.

The colony at Florida Blanca was left to its own devices near the end of the year, with the colonist being hired by the Lübecker family to colonize Salinan.

By September, Angoche was retaken and nearly all of Mutapa had fallen. When the end of the year came around, peace could finally be settled. The remainder of Mutapa’s coastline was taken, connecting all of Hispania’s East African territory, as well as the single province the TATC showed interest in. While the possibility of expanding further inland existed, administrative resources were in short supply and it was believed to be too costly to manage such land as of yet. Regardless, Hispania now dominated the east coast.

The recent conquests of Hispania greatly upset Malindi, a tiny African state on the border of Hispania’s East African territory. They complained of Hispania harassing their merchants and demanded these issues be resolved. Not wanting to be pushed around by some insignificant African nation, the conflict was only escalated.

It had practically become tradition now for the emperor and the governor of Cusco to sit together and pray, for they were the only two leaders of countries that followed the Church of Jesus Christ.

Funds were set aside to upgrade the vast trading infrastructure of Hispania.

A new practice was being adopted of assigning new recruits and conscripts to garrison duty, providing them with basic training while also improving the nation’s defence.

With the completion of the colony in Santiago, resources were shifted south to Yareyu, blocking off the French from expanding north and connecting two parts of Nuevo Leon.

Yemen faced what was hopefully their last loss for some time, this time handing over land to Najd.

Cologne was making gains again, this time taking Limburg from Brabant. They had returned from the ashes to become a regional power. They later forced war reparations out of Gelre.

In early 1705 Archduke Georg II von Habsburg of Austria passed away, leaving his brother Albrecht on the throne. This also meant that Joan III’s eldest daughter was already a widow. She returned to Valencia after the funeral, husbandless, childless, and now in her 30s.

Persia polished off Gazikumukh, one of the few if only holdouts of Orthodox Christianity.

The colony of Turrbal in Australia reached completion. Colonist Sancho Villanova headed off to the Ivory Coast to settle a colony for the Saint-Pierre family.

In April, Austria declared war on Bohemia, the rivalry continuing between the two. Bohemia had few allies other than the insignificant Switzerland and rising Cologne, while Austria had ties with all the surrounding major powers. The question was which ones would they call upon.

Chancellor Montségur made use of the lauded technique of threatening war to convince Tunis to hand over Kabylia, leaving only a single province between the two halves of Hispania’s North African territory.

In June, Baiali became self-sustaining and it was decided that a colonial administration would be established for the region. At the recommendation of the prime minister, the colonial nation was called Nueva Sicilia.

Austria made the decision to make use of their alliance with France this time, shortly before Lucca took advantage of Switzerland’s weakness to pounce.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Joan III de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks.

The victory against Mutapa has secured much of East Africa for Hispania, which should hopefully allow the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company to dominate the region to our benefit. It seems a wise idea to expand off this success, perhaps showing Malindi that we will not tolerate insults. Of course, connecting our North African territory would be a good start.

It may also be time to reassess our relationship with the colonies. They have become strained at times, and as we have just seen, the vast wealth coming in from the New World can cause inflation to rise quite high if left unchecked. It is fortunate we are so prosperous or our empire would be in trouble. A lesser Hispania would not survive so easily.

It would also seem that some revolutionary sentiment exists in Rome and Greece. While the latter was easily contained, and Byzantium continues to cooperate well with us, it would seem that the Papal State is not content with their position. We may have to reassess our relationship with them. As for the rest of Italy, perhaps it is time to consider a move against Lucca. We may have to consult both France and Austria on this, for surely they both have their eyes on the region.

It has been quite some time since I’ve seen some fresh blood serving as generals in our army. Perhaps it is time that the marshal promotes some of the more qualified men serving underneath him to such positions.

((I apologize if this update seemed delayed. I wasn’t feeling too well when I went to write it an had to take a long break. Anyway, on to business. Ministers should post their plans by Tuesday at 12PM PST, and players may propose laws in that time too. We also get to pick a new mission, so I’ll post those as well.

Pensioners:
@Duke Dan "the Man"

Dying:
@Jkonstantin
@delpiero1234

))

Last edited:
The Hispanian Branch of House Mandromenos wishes to announce their intention to further increase their presence in Malacca.

After leaving Saguenay, Maximilien de Montségur erred around with his companions, trying to aim for the general direction of 'south'. But none of his new friends was more skilled than himself in navigation after the stars, and so anyone who would try to map his expedition would have a hard time. 'Haven't we already seen this mountain/tree/rock/etc.?' was a question that was repeated often. Some of the Saguenayans wondered if they made the right decision to follow him, while Montségur enjoyed the fresh air. As it had been a decade since he first arrived at their city's gates and he still looked the same, a rumour began to circulate that he would feed on their life energy to stay young.

His closest friends almost started to believe the rumours when the expedition reached a great river. Preparing to cross it, they began cutting wood for a raft. In the meantime, Maximilien, asked about the rumours, sat at the fire and spoke of the desert he had been crossing when he spotted something big on the river. It wasn't just some canoe. It also was neither English, for he was still far away from their territory, nor Saguenayan craft. The crew of the ship obviously had noticed him, so he'd know soon enough.

There was no need to fire a gun, arrow or draw a blade. The tall man coming out of the small boat was alone and unarmed. When he asked something, the Saguenayans looked at each other, puzzled, while Montségur answered. He had grasped most of the man's words - fairly similar to Latin, or rather old French. The man returned to the bigger ship soon after with the Knight of Fortuna, and within a day, he and his companions found themselves in Norumbega, a mysterious town he had heard of even before he had left Europe. An ancient Norman settlement with a prosperous gold mine, it seemed. He decided to stay a while.

((Private))

Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara stewed silently in his study, reading over various government reports his brother had so kindly allowed him access to. There was no doubt that the empire was prospering and stable, with unparalleled wealth flowing into the coffers and people of Hispania mostly content with their circumstance. However, if one looked closely enough, they could see the rot eating away at the roots of Hispania. Inflation was slowly rising while left unchecked, the colonies were growing discontent with the current balance of power, and revolutionaries were rising up in Byzantium and Rome. The core of the empire was still strong, at least for now, but if such problems kept nipping away at the edges, it would not last that way for long. Action needed to be taken.

Looking over the recent issues he had noted, Pere formulated possible solutions. Inflation was a continuous problem, but could be kept in check by an active treasurer. The emperor had already intervened once to help combat it, so this was not the most pressing concern. The colonies needed to be taught their place, for it was their duty to serve Hispania. With his mother now serving as Viceroy Superior, perhaps she would find a solution for that problem. As for the potential revolutionary sentiment in Byzantium and Rome, that was something Pere could combat. Byzantium was large and powerful enough to deal with such issues on their own, but Rome was another matter. It was clear from recent dialogue between the Papacy and Hispania that the status quo could not be maintained. The Holy See was feeling stifled under Hispanian dominance, confined to the Vatican while still chained to Hispania by being surrounded by a vassal state. It was clear that the people living in Rome didn't tolerate Hispania's presence in their holy city. Circumstances had to change or Rome, or even perhaps the Catholic world, would turn against Hispania again. It was time for a change, and Pere had ideas for that.

((Public))

The current relationship between the Vatican and Hispania cannot continue. We have already seen how they struggle under our de facto rule. They are surrounded by a Hispanian vassal state, a constant reminder that any action taken against us will spell their doom. Their request for Urbino was merely an attempt to normalize the situation, to return to a position where they could guide the Catholics of this world without first having to consult their Hispanian overlords. Even the people of Rome, who live under our vassal state, rise up against us in revolution. It is irresponsible of us to accept this position any longer, for we are compromising an entire faith, forcing the Papacy to put Hispania's interests ahead of spiritual ones, and in turn this is overburdening our diplomatic corps. It is a wonder that the Catholic world does not turn against us again. Perhaps that is why even France and Austria have started to consider the possibility that we are a rogue state like our other neighbours have stated. I believe if we truly want to seek a solution that will normalize relations with the Vatican and show our respect to Catholics worldwide, we must unshackle the Holy See and allow His Holiness to conduct spiritual affairs without fearing our wrath. I thus propose the following:

The Restoration of the Papal State Act said:
The Restoration of the Papal State Act

I. The current vassal state of Rome and the Vatican shall be abolished, with the territory and possessions of the two merged to reform the Papal State.
II. His Holiness, the Pope, shall serve as the head of state for the Papal State.
III. The government of the Papal State, which shall be in charge of the state's affairs, shall consist of a mix of secular and spiritual advisors or delegates, with the former chosen by the people of Roma and the latter by His Holiness.
IV. This new Papal State shall rescind all claims to territory or land outside of the province of Roma.
V. Hispania shall recognize the sovereignty of the Papal State over Roma and independence in its internal and external affairs.
VI. Hispania shall pledge not to interfere in the Holy See or in Papal relations with the Catholic world. In exchange, the Papal State shall not interfere with the Catholic Church's position in the Church of Jesus Christ.

It is time we stop with our attempts to shackle an entire faith to our will. We are no longer in a world where the Papacy would spurn us for the creation of the Church of Jesus Christ. Let us show the world that we are willing to make amends and allow the Catholic Church to operate free of our influence, a sign of good faith. We can live in peace with the Papal State, if we choose to take this step forward.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara

((To sum it up gameplay-wise, we'd let the Papal State go free, but in exchange they would give up all claims and cores. RP-wise, they would not interfere with the Church of Jesus Christ and we wouldn't interfere in the Holy See or Papal relations.))

((Sorry for being offline so long, Gmail wasn't able to show me if somebidy wrote something in here:( So i see we have almost no colony in the spice isles i would be proud to fund a colony in palembang.
Grandmasters Plan: Build 20 New Tradeships, put them into one fleet with the 10 new ships and split the fleet. One half to Malacca one to Sevilla. Something else: We need some more power in Malacca so i ask if we could get a claim on malacca or Brunei or whoever is the boss in this region. I know this is my part so iw will write later a offical letter to the chancellor))