• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((How many Merchants do we have? I thought about a list and i will make one if i know the number of merchants and where they are. Something else: I saw that we have 8 spots for ships left so it would be nice if me and @05060403 could make a plan for both ministers, the Admiral and the Grandmaster.))
Enriques heart exploded when he heared the words Joaquima said. He bowed his head:" Thank you for this honor. I hope we can see each other in three weeks. It is such a honor for me to see you accepting this Invitation. So can i help you in some ways ? It would be a pleasure for me to help you in each way!"

((We currently have 13 merchants, 3 of which are constant, 6 of which are provided by our colonial nations, and 4 of which we gain from our trading companies. The colonial nation ones will only be lost if they declare independence or shrink below 10 provinces, while the trading company ones will vanish if we drop below 51% control of the trade region, which happens from time to time so they should be placed in the least important trade zones. Currently we have 2 merchants collecting trade in Genoa and Venice, although the latter was my choice and could be moved. The remainder are transferring trade from Alexandria, Champagne, Ragusa, Ivory Coast, Caribbean, Panama, Sevilla, Tunis, Mexico, Brazil, and the Gulf of Aden. I just need an order of preference so I can place the merchants least likely to vanish on us in the important trade zones and make note of the rest to keep placing vanishing merchants in. I'm assuming based on your having to ask, you don't have access to the game. I can provide more information if need be, or you can ask for the assistance of someone with access to the save.

Also, at the rate this courtship is going, Joaquima is going to be an old woman before Enrique pops the question, so feel free to consider them married for the present. We can still keep up this storyline for fun, but we'll have to mark it as occurring in the past, since such large chunks of time are passing with each update. :)))

Andronicus sighed as another report came in, running two Agencies was hard work. But it had its advantages. The Steward and Treasurer made him the man who was responsible for the Empire's prosperity. And prosper it will.

My Plan:

((All policies from last turn still apply, even the mothball that I only now can do. Continue upgrading our manpower trade and tax buildings under the terms stated earlier.))

((We currently have 13 merchants, 3 of which are constant, 6 of which are provided by our colonial nations, and 4 of which we gain from our trading companies. The colonial nation ones will only be lost if they declare independence or shrink below 10 provinces, while the trading company ones will vanish if we drop below 51% control of the trade region, which happens from time to time so they should be placed in the least important trade zones. Currently we have 2 merchants collecting trade in Genoa and Venice, although the latter was my choice and could be moved. The remainder are transferring trade from Alexandria, Champagne, Ragusa, Ivory Coast, Caribbean, Panama, Sevilla, Tunis, Mexico, Brazil, and the Gulf of Aden. I just need an order of preference so I can place the merchants least likely to vanish on us in the important trade zones and make note of the rest to keep placing vanishing merchants in. I'm assuming based on your having to ask, you don't have access to the game. I can provide more information if need be, or you can ask for the assistance of someone with access to the save.

Also, at the rate this courtship is going, Joaquima is going to be an old woman before Enrique pops the question, so feel free to consider them married for the present. We can still keep up this storyline for fun, but we'll have to mark it as occurring in the past, since such large chunks of time are passing with each update. :)))
((Enrique and Joaquimaare married. Okay. Sancho too. With 51. A little bit to late but, okay. The family drama is still going. Here is the List.
Bold types: Important Centers of trade, Ships are there to protect trade
Cursive script: Important Centers of trade, need for ships
Underlined letters: Merchants are assigned to do their Job
((M)): No merchant assigned, need for one

Genoa Constant Merchant
Venice Constant Merchant
Ivory Coast Constant Merchant
Gulf of Aden
Ceylon
Alexandria

Malacca((M))
Seville
Caribbean

Zanzibar
Champange
Tunis
Panama

If there is one merchant remaining , send him to Ragusa. With "ships needed" i mean that, if the force limit is high enough to build an other 20 tradeships for this tradenode. And constant Merchant means... Yeah i think you know what it means. ))

Enrique thought back... he married Joaquima 4 years before. He rembered his tears and he smile, his proud father. 4 years. They had one son and two daughters, Fernandez ((1698)), Joaquima ((1698)) and Isabelle ((1699)). He never entered the army, he loved Joaquima that much that he never leaved her. His father was no a older man, married to a 26 years old french princess from the Dynasty de Narbonne. His second cousin Isabelle were married to this... Enrique forgot his name. He was a officer in Hispanian Army. Sitting in this chair, looking at his childs and Joaquima, as beautiful as he saw her first time, made him happy. Then he thought about his uncle, Juan. He would appear the next days. The uncle who planned to murder him, would get his rightfull sentence.

Sancho was happy with his wife: Young and with spirit. His son made him grandfather and Sanchos wife was pregnant. It looked like the family grew with each year.Or maybe not... Sancho was sure the imperial High Court would give Juan Sentence wich would end with death.
He was sure
((@Michaelangelo So now the Dynasty of Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange have a Trastamara in family.
@DragonOfAtlantis your son is now married. I think its okay or not? It isn't just say i will delete this part if you want.
@05060403 if you want to have a "Masterplan" for Navy write to me))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((All policies from last turn still apply, even the mothball that I only now can do. Continue upgrading our manpower trade and tax buildings under the terms stated earlier.))

((Probably should clarify that the marshal and grand admiral can still mothball forts and fleets respectively, seeing as we just also granted you the power not took it away from them. It's basically the same circumstance as we had with trade buildings almost a century ago where the grandmaster could order trade buildings as long as the steward didn't veto them. Now the treasurer can mothball forts and fleets, provided the marshal or grand admiral doesn't say otherwise, in which case they'd be given precedence as the one with the original power. It's a fun mish-mash of conflicting powers that can cause power struggles, especially since the treasurer can then veto any recruitment or lower maintenance if they're not allowed to mothball things. :p))

Name: Timur Shah
Date of birth: 1680
Class: Courtier
Religion: Reformed (CJC Compliant)
Bio: Grandson to an Irani merchant trading across the Arabian Sea, his father tried to follow in his grandfather's footsteps, but soon failed. His son was forced to live a peasant's life in the Bahmanis, near Goa. When Hispanian forces stormed through in the summer of 1697, his life changed forever. A Hindu in a Shia state, which slowly grew intolerant after major defeat to the north, he was more than willing to help the Hispanians. Through his actions, he was able to weaken resistance in Goa, and hasten the occupation, reducing casualties. When peace was settled, and control of Goa returned to Bahmanis, Timur fled with the Hispanian army south. After a years stay in Hispanian Ceylon, during which he was converted to Reformed, he decided to make the long journey to Valencia, where he would join the famed Academy.

Reactions:
Andrés de Alvaro sat in his office, tirelessly working, studying plans regarding India, managing the colonial requests and so forth.
He was tired though. He had lived a long time, longer than most, and it was taking a toll.
So on a quiet night, Andrés de Alvaro passed away at age 90, still working for the betterment of Hispania until his very end.

((New character time!))

Name: Nicolás de Alvaro
Date of birth: 5th of June 1675
Class: Landed Noble
Religion: CJC (Catholic branch)
Bio: Nicolás followed in his ancestors footsteps, training in military arts and history. The first to officially declare himself a Christian, he still followed the Catholic rite.
In 1700 he was to decide whether to join the military or become a diplomat like his father, when he heard of his fathers death. He would put these plans on hold for the time being and take on his duties as Duke of Sardinia and Corsica.

Saguenay, sometime around the end of the century
His Swedish had allowed some rudimentary conversations, and over time Maximilien came to learn the language of the Saguenayans. Presenting himself as the legendary warrior he was, having defeated each one of them in single combat to prove his skills, he became an influential figure of the city, young women and men admiring him, managing to convince the Jarl to have him lead some small raids on faraway English settlements. But still, it wasn't what he was looking for. One day, the Jarl declared the stop of the raids - Saguenay flourished through its isolation, and discovery would not help. Montségur disagreed and argued that no English would venture that far into the continent, instead proposing to lead a conquest of Newfoundland. With Maximilien enjoying popular support, the Jarl told him it would be better to leave. Freshly equipped with weapons, horses and some new companions, he left the city, leaving behind some broken hearts and a lasting impact, back on his search of his kinsman's grave.

A difficult task, the one of Prime Minister. A task demanding a lot of him, and Félicien was well aware of it and under constant tension. The death of his brother-in-law was another blow, but his nephew Manuel was at least far more capable than he thought. Prince Pere's actions were another problem; what would a succession now cause for incredible problems? In all that stress, it was a letter from... Newfoundland?... that calmed him. A few words from his father. 'Rarely felt better.' Félicien smiled and shook his head. How did he get there? Relaxed, he got to work again and wrote a declaration to the court.

myKh8vJ.png

With the loss of the great man who Chancellor Alvaro was, I will assume his duties as Chancellor.
Considering the growing dissent in the colonies, I also think that we need a man who knows the colonies well enough to deal with it as Viceroy Superior. I ask for any such man to present himself, for a solution has to be found soon.
For the Chancellory, Hispania should first focus on integrating the new Indian territories, before turning our attention to the south once more. Our territories in East Africa are separated by Mutupa, a situation that needs to be remedied. Also, I believe that we might try to convince the Tunisians and then the Moroccans to cede the provinces along the Mediterranean coast.
Furthermore, I wish to present a reform proposal in the light of our recent efforts to decentralize the government:
Regional Administration Act
The ministry of Steward is abolished in favour of regional leaders, appointed by the nobility in these regions. These leaders propose what to build in their respective regions and encourage development, take over the tasks of the Steward. It falls upon the Treasurer to prioritize the allocation of funds, and of the Prime Minister to prioritize the use of our efforts in development.
Regions without a leader are under the watch of the crown, while leaders who don't plan their lands' future see them neglected.
The regional leaders have a say in most matters concerning their lands, be it about the degree of autonomy, if armies are to be levied there, revolt movements harshly suppressed. Measures to be taken in a region depend on the consentment of its leader, or are vetoed.
Finally, I wish to continue my declared support for colonies in the Terra Australis. Whenever the royal colonists have no task, the Montségur will fund a colony on this mysterious continent. I would also wish to propose 'Nueva Sicilia' as name.

Félicien Pierre de Montségur, Prime Minister and Chancellor of Hispania, Duke of Trinacria

((Feel free to suggest a good title for the 'regional leaders'.))

Tre Grand Admiral think there is no need to change the plan. For this moment Hispania should focus on keeping it's fleep up-to-date on ship designs. However he does wish to express his concern for the amount of power that is held by the treasurer, as well as deciding to fun another colony in the West African region.

While I believe this arrangement will ultimately benefit Hispania, I have some concerns. In the past, we had difficulties filling the position of the Viceroys and Ambassadors for our Subjects, which ultimately required the formation of the Viceroy Superior. I believe that this Regional Governor would have the same neglect as the Viceroys once had. While regions without a Governor would be under the guidance of the Crown, who would do such a thing? The Emperor would most likely defer to an expert on the Council, which is what the Steward is. Disbanding the position of Steward would be a grave mistake. While it is just to grant Regions with Governors autonomy, it should not be to the detriment of the Regions without such a Governor.

The Empress dowager mused over the matters presented at court. Though she harboured strong sidings with the Montségers, after all, they were close blood relatives of hers, she could see rhyme to her own thoughts in those of the Mandromenos. She didn't approve of the fact that the Steward should control these. Therefore to clarify her position she, with all the grace of a former empress, stood forth to present her views to the benefit of the court.

"My fellow gentlemen. Though I can not speak on behalf of my son, who is otherwise occupied in the administration of our realm, I can speak to you as a member of our ruling dynasty, and as one of yourselves. I second the belief held by the Steward, in the fact that the role of regional governor could easily follow the same shortcomings as the Viceroys. However, I fear my learnt friend the Steward may have neglected matters. The steward deals with matters of a domestic nature, a viceroy and by extension a regional governor, if extended to our bountiful empire, would not be covered by his jurisdiction of power, it is a matter best served to the Viceroy Superior, a position I see hasn't yet been fulfilled. If it pleased his honourable gentlemen, the Prime minister Felicíen de Montséger, I would gladly nominate myself to this role. Although my line has not dabbled in matters of colonialism, it would be good to see a more austere hand, and to see a managed empire once more. May the Lord bless all of thyselves, and let us be united as a nation, not as a divided squabble."

Caterina returned to her small throne on the dais as gracefully as she rose from it, looking with a sparkling curiosity, to see how events could turn out from her intervention.

((Seeing as alscon has appointed himself chancellor, he forfeits his position as chamberlain due to players being limited to two council positions only. The members of the Cortz should now vote on who to serve as the next chamberlain.

In other news, it appears that instead of being away Thursday and Friday, I will now be gone Wednesday and Thursday, which makes me unable to do the update on Wednesday as planned. I will thus be extending the deadline for proposals to Tuesday at 12PM PST and most likely the vote will last until Friday once I commence it.))

Let me alleviate one of the concerns towards my proposal - that there would be no regional governors. In fact, the act envisions small regions, not 'Italy', 'Castille' etc., but regions such as 'Barcelona', 'Naples' etc.. The nobility in these regions is often limited to one active at court, who would immediately fill the position. In the other regions, the nobles will surely know who amongst them is best suited as leader. As there is often a difficulty finding an able Steward, this would guarantee that there is someone else than the crown improving the provinces.

Let me alleviate one of the concerns towards my proposal - that there would be no regional governors. In fact, the act envisions small regions, not 'Italy', 'Castille' etc., but regions such as 'Barcelona', 'Naples' etc.. The nobility in these regions is often limited to one active at court, who would immediately fill the position. In the other regions, the nobles will surely know who amongst them is best suited as leader. As there is often a difficulty finding an able Steward, this would guarantee that there is someone else than the crown improving the provinces.

((May as well have it clarified now so we don't end up arguing it later, but what would these regions be? Are we using the regions mapmode to simplify things or assigning a region to each province? Arbitrarily deciding regions as we go is just asking for chaos. :p))

((Private))

Crown Prince Pere pulled his brother aside as he exited the throne room, leading him into an empty side room to discuss matters in private, and he certainly had a lot to discuss.

"You can't seriously be allowing this law to be discussed by your court?"

Emperor Joan scrunched up his brow. "What do you mean by that? It is the purpose of the court to discuss such matters. How else are they to suggest new laws and reforms for the empire?"

"But surely you must see the inherent problems with such a proposal," Pere said, growing more incensed by the minute. "It is a blatant attack on your power as monarch and your council."

Joan dismissed his brother's claims with a wave of his hand. "You worry too much. If my court believes it would be most prudent for local lords to have greater say over affairs that affect their domain, then it would be foolish to ignore it."

"It is not a simple matter of giving them more say," Pere said, grabbing his brother by the shoulders. "This law would allow them to use Crown funds as they please, withhold troops for the army, and decide practically everything that happens within their own little region of the empire. This ungodly level of autonomy will only cause the empire to fracture."

Joan let out an exasperated sigh. "You over-exaggerate. No funds could be spent without the approval of the treasurer, all provinces of the empire are required by law to contribute troops so it's just the creation of official regiments being affected, and these regions would still be subservient to the Crown and the council."

Pere shook Joan, as though trying to knock some sense into him. "You cannot let this decentralization continue. You must veto the act."

Joan's expression grew grave and he pushed his brother away. "Must I now? I have always supported the supremacy of the word of law, so if the court wants this act, then I shall grant it to them. If not, then it will be dismissed as usual."

"You endanger your own position with such policies. I would never allow such an act to pass if I was emperor."

"But you are not," Joan said. "I am." The finality of Joan's words was a clear sign that for him the conversation was over.

Understanding that he was unlikely to convince his brother now, Pere scowled and left the room. As he passed through the doorway, he said, "Yes, you are for now. Power is fleeting though if you are so willing to let others grasp it from your hands."

Alexis sat in his office in the main TATC agency located in Valencia. He leaned back in his chair, pondering about the matters at court, how the nobility attempted to take more and more power from the Emperor, how few seeked to grant themselfs more power and the grim future that might await the Empire. If there was someone with more power than him that would share the Saint-Pierre's views. And then he realized that there was someone, someone close to the Emperor, someone who wasn't too fond of this decentralization. The Crown Prince, who not too long ago proposed that centralization would be the better course for Hispania. Alexis grabbed his quill immediately, taking a hold of the nearest blank piece of paper, starting to trail ink over it to discuss the matters that bothered the grand admiral.

Your Royal Highness,
I write this letter to you to place my concerns regarding the current state of our country, county which you may have to rule. In my opinion if we continue to follow the path that Hispania is taking, the might be no Hispania left to rule in future. The continuous decentralization will only give more autonomy to the small groups, and we have to ask ourselves, how much longer before those small groups stop saying that are citizens of Hispania, but return to calling themselves by the names of their old countries? The people of Portugal, Castille, Italy will enjoy so much freedom that they will no longer see the point of identifying as Hispania! We mustn’t allow Hispania to crumble! The second matter that has been constantly bothering me is the current steward and treasurer. If you closely inspect his actions, you will notice that he only acted in the matters that granted him more power, and in fact I also believe the same can be applied to the Prime Minister. To me it seems that they are a part of small clique, that seeks to slowly take away the power of the Emperor and give it to themselves. If nothing is done to stop them they will succeed and leave the Monarch as nothing more but a simple puppet without and say in matters of State. Now I know that you are also concerned about the current path that Hispania is taking, otherwise I would not dare to disturb you with such a letter, especially since some might consider this a sign of treason or madness, but I only wish to see the country which I serve strong and united, not the opposite. I hope we can find a solution to all of this, before it is too late to save this magnificent Empire.

Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre,
Grand Admiral of Hispanai, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, loyal serveant of the Crown and Empire of Hispania

((May as well have it clarified now so we don't end up arguing it later, but what would these regions be? Are we using the regions mapmode to simplify things or assigning a region to each province? Arbitrarily deciding regions as we go is just asking for chaos. :p))

((Yeah, the regions of the regions mapmode should work best for that purpose.))

Reactions:
Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque y Conte y Conte Guillen II B.X. Etxeto of House Etxeto

"The position of Steward is limited only by the demands placed upon it by the Prime Ministers. When I was Steward, I engaged in localised charities, galas, and regional events throughout the Capitol Region and my lands. However the incessant drone of the Prime Minister to spend Royal funds on meaningless infrastructure projects was overwhelming. Thusly, when I rightfully ignored them in my own home, I was unceremoniously removed from the position.

Thusly, the real need is to remove the requirements placed on the Steward by such annoying consistent naggers like the Prime Minister and allow the Stewards to work at their own speed."

Reactions:

I suppose what you say is true, but we must be prepared for all eventualities. Should a region prove itself unable to function independently, the Crown, or rather the Steward, should be able to restore order and proper operation to that region. I will not see areas of the Empire fall to anarchy and ruin simply because they could not decide on what action to take. My grandfather worked far too long and far too hard for this Empire's benefit for me to see our prosperity reversed so soon after his death.

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque y Conte y Conte Guillen II B.X. Etxeto of House Etxeto

"The position of Steward is limited only by the demands placed upon it by the Prime Ministers. When I was Steward, I engaged in localised charities, galas, and regional events throughout the Capitol Region and my lands. However the incessant drone of the Prime Minister to spend Royal funds on meaningless infrastructure projects was overwhelming. Thusly, when I rightfully ignored them in my own home, I was unceremoniously removed from the position.

Thusly, the real need is to remove the requirements placed on the Steward by such annoying consistent naggers like the Prime Minister and allow the Stewards to work at their own speed."

It is good to see that you haven't lost your sense of humour in this debate, Duke Etxeto. When I enquired about whether you wanted to form a plan for your very important ministry, you told me that you haven't set a foot into the capital in years. And, if I may cite freely, to 'shove the office where the Lord's light doesn't shine'. And I highly doubt that the esteemed Prime Minister Petros Mandromenos wanted to support meaningless infrastructure projects.
If such concerns existed, you may have brought them to the attention of His Imperial Highness, who holds and will ever hold the final authority in these matters. Under regional leadership, you may gain access to imperial funds for the important projects of your duchy, provided the Treasurer, as he already does currently, sets the priority on these buildings.

As for restoring order, what do you have in mind, as current Steward and Treasurer, Duke Mandromenos? In neglected regions, the crown might intervene if necessary, but only then, or the entire principle of the act wouldn't pay off. Of course, if a revolt erupts due to that neglect or such grave matter, severe consequences will have to be taken - perhaps the revocation of the concerned title. I will gladly listen to your suggestions.