• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Considering one of my colonies is marked as a French Interest, I will not accept any deal that surrenders our position in the Windward Isles))

Seigneur Saint-Pierre,

It always pleased me that you have become a capable general. And it is of the foremost importance to develop new tactics and adapt to the modern ways of warfare. Still, I do think we have done it admirably over the course of the last years. The line infantry was formed thanks to technological advances, but also due to a change of our strategy. If anything, then the command structure might need to be adapted - the Military Organization Act of 1519 is still active, even if it hasn't seen that much use lately. His Majesty is no longer able to select the tercio leaders in person, with some armies like the Exercit Colonial never setting any foot onto European soil. And the concept of the tercio itself is no longer useful - just think about the weapons available back then. It was probably already outdated at the time of my birth, and while the army hasn't followed this act, it will have to be revoked. If you have ideas about how to put the current organization into words, or improve it, I will be listening.

May victory await us in the next battles,
Louis François de Montségur, Marshal of Hispania

A messenger also has it be known that Montségur, while he would prefer not to get involved much in the matter of the Caribbean for he has no interests to defend there, forwards a proposal to give France most of the Lesser Antilles while Hispania would have the Greater Antilles. Let the court handle this as it wants. He also calls for the revocation of the Military Organization Act of 1519.

Dear Marshal de Montségur,
I have to agree that our forces while folowing old tactis have done an admirable job, we must seek to improve our army no matter what. I do not doubt that our troops have the best available weapons, but the problem lies within the amount of possible choices. I think our army should pick one rifle that would be used by every soldier. The Military Organization Act of 1519 definitely needs to be reworked, and we should move away from tercios to more modern unit formation. I also think we should revise the chain of command. Right now if several generals will fight in one place it is not clear who should follow who's orders. I have few ideas on how to redo our organization, but it would take too long to describe them in a letter. Instead I think it would be much wise to meet and discuss those matters in person.

Ad Victoriam,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre

((I have few ideas, but it would be much easier to present them OOC. If you want to brainstorm more then I think we should do so either in the IRC or a conversation here on the forums.))

((Was worried we'd have nothing to vote on. Now we shall vote on the revocation of the Military Organization Act of 1519. I'll include it below.

Revoke Military Organization Act: Yes/No/Abstain

Everyone has until Thursday at 12PM PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class. As for the Caribbean issue, feel free to discuss it with each other. I'll write up a bit of the emperor's input in a bit.

The Military Organization Act

1. All royal troops of Aragon, be they cavalry, infantry or artillery, are to be divided into brigades. Each brigade may be from 9000 to 18 000 men in size and commanded by a Captain General appointed by the King.
2. Each brigade consists of tercio and may include from three to six tercio. Each tercio may be from 3000 to 6000 men in size. Each tercio is commanded by a Maestro de Campo appointed by the King. Each Maestro de Campo is assisted by Sargento Major, as his chief of staff and second in the line of authority, and Fourier Major as an officer in charge of logistics and armaments. Both Sargento Major and Fourier Major receive their commission from the King upon his discretion, yet the Marshal of Aragon, Captain General or Maestro de Campo may provide their recommendations.
3. Each tercio is divided into 12 companies. Each company may be from 300 to 6000 men in size. Each tercio is commanded by a Captain. Each Captain receives his commission from the King upon his discretion, yet the Marshal of Aragon, Captain General or Maestro de Campo may provide his recommendations. A Captain is assisted by an Ensign, who serves as the second in the line of authority to the Captain and carries the company colors, and a Sergeant, who is in charge of fourirs and responsible for bringing the orders of the Captain and Ensign down to the soldiers.The Ensign receives receives his commission from the King upon his discretion, yet the Marschal of Aragon, Captain General or Maestro de Campo may provide his recommendations. The Sergeant may be appointed either directly by the King or by Captain General. The Maestro de Campo and commanding Captain may provide their recommendations.
4. Each company is divided into 12 platoons. Each platoon may from 30 to 60 men in size. Each platoon is commanded by a Corporal. Each Corporal may be appointed either directly by the King or by the Maestro de Campo. The commanding Captain may provide his recommendations.
))

With advice from his son, General Demetrios Mandromenos, Prime Minister Petros Mandromenos supports the reorganization of the Army's command structure, and proposes the establishment of a Military Academy in Valencia for the education and training of prospective commissioned officers in the Army until they are ready to serve in the field.

Revoke Military Organization Act: Yes
((Count/PM/Cortz/Funded Colony))

Last edited:
Emperor Alfons VIII received a letter from his French counterpart regarding the Caribbean issue. The further he read, the more outraged he became. Did this French fop think he could make demands of Hispania so callously? Alfons wanted to send back a scathing reply, but held off. It was best if he got the court involved first to get their opinion on the matter.

((Letter to Emperor Alfons VIII and shared with the court))

CqtOYoW.png

We believe that it would be in our best interests to settle this issue posthaste. The Caribbean is of great importance to France, and having been one of the first nations to establish a presence in the area, by right we have claim to it. We believe that to avoid further conflict and to fulfill your promises made during the Council of Rome, it would be in both our best interests for Hispania to cede the smaller islands of the Lesser Antilles to France. Our two great empires must share the New World, and Hispania certainly has taken more than its fair share already. The friendship between our two peoples will surely prosper through such an agreement. We eagerly await your consent.

- His Imperial Highness, Louis XVIII de Valois, Emperor of France

Petros read over the letter from the King...Emperor of France. He shook his head, since when did France claim to be the equals of Hispania? Did the Pope attempt to name France the successors of Rome in defiance? No matter, the title Empire was a title, and titles were only worth what others gave them. And Petros did not consider this Louis any Emperor.

To His Excellency, the Ambassador from France:

I am sure you have noticed the letter from your lord that arrived recently. I wish to discuss it.

As you know, both France and Hispania have colonized areas in both the Greater Antilles and the Lesser Antilles. As you are aware, it has been demanded that Hispania abandon its holdings in the Lesser Antilles. It would be equitable and fair that if this request were to be granted, France would grant a similar concession in the Greater Antilles. But this is not to either of our nation's benefit.

We may not be admirals, but surely we must agree that having no ports or naval bases in either the Greater or Lesser Antilles would be a great disadvantage to both of us. Thus, I feel that having all islands that have currently been settled must remain with their current owners to ensure that we both have a presence in both areas. The acceptance of this status quo will be a great starting point in the negotiations between our countries.

I eagerly await your reply,
Petros Mandromenos, Prime Minister of Hispania

Petros read over the letter from the King...Emperor of France. He shook his head, since when did France claim to be the equals of Hispania? Did the Pope attempt to name France the successors of Rome in defiance? No matter, the title Empire was a title, and titles were only worth what others gave them. And Petros did not consider this Louis any Emperor.

To His Excellency, the Ambassador from France:

I am sure you have noticed the letter from your lord that arrived recently. I wish to discuss it.

As you know, both France and Hispania have colonized areas in both the Greater Antilles and the Lesser Antilles. As you are aware, it has been demanded that Hispania abandon its holdings in the Lesser Antilles. It would be equitable and fair that if this request were to be granted, France would grant a similar concession in the Greater Antilles. But this is not to either of our nation's benefit.

We may not be admirals, but surely we must agree that having no ports or naval bases in either the Greater or Lesser Antilles would be a great disadvantage to both of us. Thus, I feel that having all islands that have currently been settled must remain with their current owners to ensure that we both have a presence in both areas. The acceptance of this status quo will be a great starting point in the negotiations between our countries.

I eagerly await your reply,
Petros Mandromenos, Prime Minister of Hispania

I'm afraid that I have as yet not received any word from my Emperor nor my superiors in France. If any demands have been made, they have been made without my consultation.

I would agree, based on your account, that it would indeed not be an equable agreement for France to claim Hispania's colonies in the Lesser Antilles without concessions elsewhere, despite prior agreements regarding the Council of Rome. After receiving approval, I was going to broach the possibility of exchanging Jamaica for Hispanian possessions in the Lesser Antilles. This, of course, is a tentative suggestion. We could seek an alternative path in agreement to both sides instead.

I shall send a letter to my superiors immediately to clarify the matter.

((To clarify, the newly proclaimed French emperor might be acting alone.))

I'm afraid that I have as yet not received any word from my Emperor nor my superiors in France. If any demands have been made, they have been made without my consultation.

I would agree, based on your account, that it would indeed not be an equable agreement for France to claim Hispania's colonies in the Lesser Antilles without concessions elsewhere, despite prior agreements regarding the Council of Rome. After receiving approval, I was going to broach the possibility of exchanging Jamaica for Hispanian possessions in the Lesser Antilles. This, of course, is a tentative suggestion. We could seek an alternative path in agreement to both sides instead.

I shall send a letter to my superiors immediately to clarify the matter.

((To clarify, the newly proclaimed French emperor might be acting alone.))

The Prime Minister looks over the response from the French Ambassador. Was the fool that controlled France not only make brazen demands but not inform his servants of his actions? Strange, this puts the French at a disadvantage.

I must apologize, I believe I presumed too much when I assumed that your lord acted with your consultation. After all, I was the head of Hispania's foreign affairs and none of the four Emperors I served did such a thing without speaking to me first.

I will admit your suggestion is much better than the unilateral demand from one of our closest allies. I still feel that both countries having a presence in both sides of the Caribbean Sea is an important advantage in maintaining the status quo. The journeys at sea are often dangerous and having places to repair and resupply are important to a successful sea venture. In fact, to help our negotiations with a valued ally, I will offer something only we can. We have three groups of islands in a unique position in the Atlantic, the Azores, the Canaries, and Maderia. All three can be used to greatly shorten the journey from the Caribbean and the Mainland. I will be willing to grant French Ships access to the ports of these islands for repair and resupply, something that should greatly aid French efforts in the New World.

The Prime Minister looks over the response from the French Ambassador. Was the fool that controlled France not only make brazen demands but not inform his servants of his actions? Strange, this puts the French at a disadvantage.

I must apologize, I believe I presumed too much when I assumed that your lord acted with your consultation. After all, I was the head of Hispania's foreign affairs and none of the four Emperors I served did such a thing without speaking to me first.

I will admit your suggestion is much better than the unilateral demand from one of our closest allies. I still feel that both countries having a presence in both sides of the Caribbean Sea is an important advantage in maintaining the status quo. The journeys at sea are often dangerous and having places to repair and resupply are important to a successful sea venture. In fact, to help our negotiations with a valued ally, I will offer something only we can. We have three groups of islands in a unique position in the Atlantic, the Azores, the Canaries, and Maderia. All three can be used to greatly shorten the journey from the Caribbean and the Mainland. I will be willing to grant French Ships access to the ports of these islands for repair and resupply, something that should greatly aid French efforts in the New World.

I'm afraid that my country has no interest in the use of Hispanian ports at this time, although the offer is appreciated and may be reconsidered at a later date. Perhaps instead our focus should be towards coming to a definite settlement as to what islands each of our two nations claims. There are still some islands within the region still left unclaimed. Financial compensation might need to be considered.

((I check in-game and France is not interested in port access from us. Also, this is addressed to everyone, I'm not quite sure how to make certain that if we designate certain uncolonized provinces as claimed that the right nation will colonize them. If anyone has a way to ensure this happens, feel free to share. All I can think of us forcefully swapping the provinces after they're colonized.))

((I have few ideas, but it would be much easier to present them OOC. If you want to brainstorm more then I think we should do so either in the IRC or a conversation here on the forums.))

((I'll show up in the chat tonight then.

[Duke, General, Cortz, Chamberlain&Marshal, funded colony]
))

((I'll show up in the chat tonight then.

((Alright. I've already discussed about what I have in mind with Mike and he agreed on most of it.))

[landed noble, general, funded colony]

((Alright. I've already discussed about what I have in mind with Mike and he agreed on most of it.))

[landed noble, general, funded colony]

((What do you have planned. I am interested.))

I would like to see that no settled islands change hands, as already stated, but I do feel that among the unclaimed islands, it is better that they become French islands rather than colonized by other nations. I propose that of the unsettled islands, Hispania is allowed settle one for every two France claims, due to Hispania's already large presence in the area and respect to one of our closest allies. Also, I will be willing to accept French claims to other areas where Hispania has not already settled to a large degree, such as Louisiana or California and will be willing to defend these claims.

((What do you have planned. I am interested.))

(( A bunch of military reforms (organization, possible new ranks etc.) and few custom events about standardization of equipment. If you hop into the IRC I can give you a bit more details ;) ))

I would like to see that no settled islands change hands, as already stated, but I do feel that among the unclaimed islands, it is better that they become French islands rather than colonized by other nations. I propose that of the unsettled islands, Hispania is allowed settle one for every two France claims, due to Hispania's already large presence in the area and respect to one of our closest allies. Also, I will be willing to accept French claims to other areas where Hispania has not already settled to a large degree, such as Louisiana or California and will be willing to defend these claims.

A mutual agreement that our two nations are the only ones permitted to own land in the Caribbean is suitable. We shall divide up the remaining islands between us as we see fit at a later date. Official recognition of our colonies in Louisiana would be most welcome, although we have no interest in California at this time. Perhaps we should discuss La Plata, for we have made a presence there recently as well, or even Africa. I shall consult my superiors immediately regarding a possible settlement.