• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He was getting old. Perhaps. That might be. But his mind was still sharp as ever. He would maybe not lead any heroic charges, but that was something his son was known for, carried out effectively in Ceylon. Montségur wondered how that could work out each time. Fortuna truly smiles upon some men. He didn't need her. The men would be lead to victory under his command due to his command, not to luck.
And now, as the wars of the Council of Rome would soon start, he was preparing himself. An undefeated general such as himself wouldn't want to leave after some minor skirmishes against Lucca or Tuscany, but in a great battle. While also fulfilling his promises to Sweden. The army didn't need his attention as Marshal
((no change of plans)), but soon as general.
When the Prime Minister's books reached him, he put them aside. No use for them. But Félicien, recently wed with a beautiful Swedish wife, read every word.

The fate of the pope will come back to haunt us. Remember my words when Rome is bombarded from that new fortress he is building. When papal thugs are once more roaming the streets of Hispania's cities because we made a step forward.
But this is not why I address you. It is my promise, that has become Hispania's promise, to Sweden. Wallachia's annexation just makes swift action all the more important. The Poles have joined the Catholic League? Well, either because their king wants to impress the Austrians enough to turn them against us, or because he aims to become that false emperor himself. That scheme has already come back to bite him in form of the dispute with Lithuania. Time for Hispania to make it go horribly wrong.

Make the right decision this time.
Gen. L.F. de Montségur, Marshal of Hispania

Dear Duke Montsegur,

I know that you did not approve of my actions. But I thank you for putting it aside. On the matter of Poland, there is a reason I suggest delaying their punishment until after the HR war. I believe that the Polish will suffer greatly during the war, and after we win that, with maximum casualties for Poland, we can then declare war on the weakened Polish.

Almaden Hashem

((Hey @alscon is Félicien your grandson by any chance?))

((Hey @alscon is Félicien your grandson by any chance?))

((Yes, the heir of my heir. The name says it all :rolleyes:.))

Montségur didn't know if he should be surprised or not about the Chancellor's plan. What a disgraceful, dishonourable plan it is. Have the Poles suffer most casualties in an own war as an ally, then attack them. As much as he wanted victory, this was unacceptable for multiple reasons.

I know that I shouldn't get involved in diplomatic matters, for it is not my specialty. But what you are planning is truly a disgrace. Of course Poland would suffer in a war to force religious tolerance in the HRE, at the hands of their former Lithuanian ally. But still, Poland would be on our side in that war. An ally. And while the past has shown multiple times that allies might divide each other over the spoils of the war, waging one just to weaken the ally and then kick him while he's down is one of the lowest, most dishonourable actions that I can imagine. And I am certainly not the only one to think that way. Yes, the Poles would just be a temporary ally. But an ally nonetheless. How should anyone trust Hispania when it acts that way? Why should Sweden see the benefit of an alliance if they have to fear ending up as cannon fodder, their corpses then crushed under an Hispanian charge?
Keep the repercussions in mind and reconsider. One war, cleanly separated from the other, without such blatant betrayal. If you plan such a thing, then you can also just tear down the papal fortress. The impact is the same. Know that I will not support both. And encourage my fellow members of the Cortz to see that I am right.

Gen. L.F. de Montségur, Marshal of Hispania, Chamberlain of the Cortz, Duke of Trinacria

Duke Montsegur,

I understand.

Almaden Hashem

((Chancellor's Plan

First, ally Sweden.
Then, attack Poland.
Next, pursue the HRE war.

If there is still time, expansion in Tuscany region if AE allows it.))

((Chancellor's Plan

First, ally Sweden.
Then, attack Poland.
Next, pursue the HRE war.

If there is still time, expansion in Tuscany region if AE allows it.))

((I just noticed we don't actually have a CB on Poland. The easiest way to get one would be to designate their border provinces or Serbia as vital interests so Byzantium would fabricate claims for us. Also, is there a specific condition required for this war regarding Austria? They're likely to back Poland as their ally, so do we go ahead with the war anyway and lose that alliance or wait in the hope that their support drops? We could always declare war on some minor target, call in Austria, and then attack Poland, a classic strategy. The only nations we can declare war on that Austria will join in against are the Mamluks and Switzerland. The former would be a fairly dragged out war despite how weak they are, while the latter should be fairly simple but risks the emperor getting involved. Just need some clarification on the matter before we risk losing an ally.))

((Also, can we go and dismantle the HRE at some point just for RP purposes? I'll write an IC post on that later if that's possible.))

((Also, can we go and dismantle the HRE at some point just for RP purposes? I'll write an IC post on that later if that's possible.))

((Theoretically, we could pursue that path, but we'd considerably piss off the Austrians in the process.))

Reactions:
JpsioAG.png

His Imperial Highness, Alfons VIII de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks, is proud to announce a proposed union between Crown Prince Joan de Trastámara and Helgi Soop of Sweden.

((We should mark Serbian land as that of vital interest. War with Switzerland is good, and if the Emperor gets involved, we could probably fight him off with us and Austria, saving a French Call-to-Arms until, during the Swiss war, we declare on Poland, and then peace the Swiss, call France. That is probably confusing, so

Mark Serbia as vital interest
Attack Swiss
Attack Poles
Peace Swiss
Call in France
...Some Time Later...
Bring about tolerance in Germany
))

Reactions:
((Dismantle the HRE and/or enforce religion on all members, I think))

((I meant more in the sense of the running meme of tolerance in this game since the late 1400s, less the actual mechanics.))

((I meant more in the sense of the running meme of tolerance in this game since the late 1400s, less the actual mechanics.))
((Oh, that. Yeah, I was expecting "BURN, HERETICS" and "NOBODY EXPECTS THE INQUISITION" stuff too. Seriously, we have the actual Spanish Inquisition!))

Reactions:
(( @DragonOfAtlantis ))
Dear Sir,
You are most welcomed to join the company, just as your father before you. We offer you a seat on the council after an unfortunate death of one of our members.
Sincerely,
The TATC Council

(( @alscon ))

Dear Monsieur Montségur,
I write to you, because I believe that our army could use some reforms. While I have no doubt that the armed forces of Hispania are the mightiest in the world, we have to remember that times moves forward and our army was not reformed in over 152 years, only receiving more modern equipment. I have few ideas, but I do not dare to present them without your insight on them. I propose that we meet in person and discuss our ideas on how we should keep our military forces up to date on tactics, organizations and strategy.
Respectfully,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre

((Dismantle the HRE and/or enforce religion on all members, I think))

((Oh, that. Yeah, I was expecting "BURN, HERETICS" and "NOBODY EXPECTS THE INQUISITION" stuff too. Seriously, we have the actual Spanish Inquisition!))

((Mechanics wise: Force Peace of Westphalia-style equal recognition of all Christian religions.

And why people are so tolerant here: Well, perhaps some of it is people are thinking about it realistically, and boringly care for other humans, so want tolerance. But even if you are playing for fun, I think a constant struggle, progress, questioning, would be more fun than just having an Inquisition that burns out all resistance. If we did not do Tolerance, think of all the events and intrigue that would have been lost. Also, Aragon was relatively tolerant compared to Castile, so it would kind of make sense.

But, I do think the killing of heretics was a bit under-appreciated.))

Reactions:
((Mechanics wise: Force Peace of Westphalia-style equal recognition of all Christian religions.

And why people are so tolerant here: Well, perhaps some of it is people are thinking about it realistically, and boringly care for other humans, so want tolerance. But even if you are playing for fun, I think a constant struggle, progress, questioning, would be more fun than just having an Inquisition that burns out all resistance. If we did not do Tolerance, think of all the events and intrigue that would have been lost. Also, Aragon was relatively tolerant compared to Castile, so it would kind of make sense.

But, I do think the killing of heretics was a bit under-appreciated.))
((But I still think we should just go and destroy the HRE at some point. There can be only one Rome!:p))

((But I still think we should just go and destroy the HRE at some point. There can be only one Rome!:p))

((The Guy who plays a character from the TRUE Roman Empire agrees))

CqtOYoW.png

His Imperial Highness, Louis XVIII de Valois, Emperor of France, wishes to inquire upon a possible settlement over the current state of the Caribbean and both France's and Hispania's colonies within the region. A diplomat shall be dispatched to Valencia if His Imperial Highness, Alfons VIII de Trastámara, and his ministers are ready to discuss the subject.

((Seeing as we don't really have anything to vote on yet, we may as well use the time to handle the Caribbean issue brought up during the Council of Rome. Anyone is free to propose a possible solution, although the chancellor and diplomats should take charge. I also wanted to use this opportunity to point out that France is now an empire too. I'll include a screenshot of the Caribbean and the islands France is interested in.

))