• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After listening to the Prime Ministers speech, Andrés took a cup of wine and chatted with the other nobles and courtiers, discussing everything from the religious events and the discussed war with the papacy to trade and colonies. A diplomat needed to be informed, and that was Andrés plan tonight.

The Duke of Trinacria had stayed in Palermo, so it was his son who attended the Chancellor's reception, ready to tell countless true stories of war. He might also reveal Ferran's true role in Morocco and Tunis; but then he could almost feel his father standing behind him, saying that one has to honour the memory of the recently deceased. So he would hold his tongue in that regard.
Maximilien was accompanied by his son Félicien, his brother Clément, who had come from Eora to pay his last respects to the late Emperor, and his family. Marie was possibly to be wed to Andronicus Mandromenos soon, and if there was a chance to arrange that marriage in time, it would be before their return to Eora.
He would also have to find a match for Félicien soon. Fortune was married to Basileus Ioannes, but securing a princess for Félicien was a task difficult to pursue while training troops. He'd send his son out at some point.
There was also his father's letter to read out concerning the veto of any possible Papal war, and this was a good occasion to do so; after all, it was the Chancellor who called for it.

myKh8vJ.png

In my position as member of the Cortz, I will not veto a war against the Papal State. Not for one of my countless personal reasons, but as representative of the nobility for all the revolts caused from Rome, all these battles that we had to lead against our own people. For the Church of Jesus Christ, that hasn't cut all ties with the Holy See, and has been punished for it. This war is rightful and deserves the full support of the nobility.
General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Chamberlain of the Cortz and Marshal of Hispania

Etxeto-arms.gif

The Musings of Duque y Conte y Conte Tomas IV B.L. Etxeto of House Etxeto

The Duque does not attend the Prime Minister's banquet, nor does any other member of the Etxeto family.

The Duke of Trinacria had stayed in Palermo, so it was his son who attended the Chancellor's reception, ready to tell countless true stories of war. He might also reveal Ferran's true role in Morocco and Tunis; but then he could almost feel his father standing behind him, saying that one has to honour the memory of the recently deceased. So he would hold his tongue in that regard.
Maximilien was accompanied by his son Félicien, his brother Clément, who had come from Eora to pay his last respects to the late Emperor, and his family. Marie was possibly to be wed to Andronicus Mandromenos soon, and if there was a chance to arrange that marriage in time, it would be before their return to Eora.
He would also have to find a match for Félicien soon. Fortune was married to Basileus Ioannes, but securing a princess for Félicien was a task difficult to pursue while training troops. He'd send his son out at some point.
There was also his father's letter to read out concerning the veto of any possible Papal war, and this was a good occasion to do so; after all, it was the Chancellor who called for it.

myKh8vJ.png

In my position as member of the Cortz, I will not veto a war against the Papal State. Not for one of my countless personal reasons, but as representative of the nobility for all the revolts caused from Rome, all these battles that we had to lead against our own people. For the Church of Jesus Christ, that hasn't cut all ties with the Holy See, and has been punished for it. This war is rightful and deserves the full support of the nobility.
General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Chamberlain of the Cortz and Marshal of Hispania

Petros looked as the Montsegur group entered the room and was greeted by his daughter in law. He did not need to look at Andronicus's way to know the boy had frozen at the sight of them. He leans to his grandson,

How about you go introduce yourself to them, Andronicus, and tell me what you think of them afterwards.

Andronicus glanced at his grandfather before going to do just that.

Count the Saint-Pierre, while approves of the creation of the Church of Jesus Christ will not help the effort, instead keeping most of the population of his domain united under one faith. His reason being the closeness to the French, and the fact that most of France is still considered Catholic.

Reactions:
Emperor Alfons took a sip of wine. A lot of good men had come out to celebrate Count Mandromenos's career as chancellor. The man had done much for Hispania over the years and certainly deserved a party. He tried to ignore the fact that it was happening so close after his father's death, but that could not be helped. Affairs would go on regardless of those left behind. After finishing his wine, Alfons sought out the prime minister. He found the man near the Montségur family.

"I must congratulate you on having such a successful career," Alfons said to Petros with a smile. "I'm certain all those in the chancellery will miss you, but it is fortunate that you still remain as our prime minister. I also wish to offer you an apology. My decision to place your proposal for war against the Papal State before the court was not due to anything done on your part. You must understand there are still many Catholics within our realm who do not look too kindly upon the possibility of us subjugating the head of the Church."

((Time to get the vote started. Seeing as only one church aspect was suggested, individual creeds will be our first church aspect. We'll also be voting on the custom Byzantium and Cusco events, mainly whether we'll interfere in Byzantium's religious affairs and whether we'll accept Cusco as a part of the empire. There's also the matter of the war with the Papal State.

Byzantium's Religion: Catholicism/Encourage Tolerance/Force Tolerance/Abstain
Cusco: Status Quo/Integrate/Abstain
War with Papal State: Yes/No/Abstain

May as well further explain each option. For Byzantium, the first option would be us recognizing Catholicism as their state religion like they want, the second would be us agreeing to Ioanne's compromise that we agree not to change their state religion but we still encourage tolerance, while the third would be denying all agreements and making no promises that we won't change their state religion in the future. For Cusco, either we let them keep existing as they are now or we make them a formal part of our empire. The war with the Papal State is a simple yes or no manner. It has been suggested to me that there should be the option of annexing them instead, but I'm going to save the final fate of the Papal State for a possible event.

Players will have until Thursday at 12PM PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class.))

Emperor Alfons took a sip of wine. A lot of good men had come out to celebrate Count Mandromenos's career as chancellor. The man had done much for Hispania over the years and certainly deserved a party. He tried to ignore the fact that it was happening so close after his father's death, but that could not be helped. Affairs would go on regardless of those left behind. After finishing his wine, Alfons sought out the prime minister. He found the man near the Montségur family.

"I must congratulate you on having such a successful career," Alfons said to Petros with a smile. "I'm certain all those in the chancellery will miss you, but it is fortunate that you still remain as our prime minister. I also wish to offer you an apology. My decision to place your proposal for war against the Papal State before the court was not due to anything done on your part. You must understand there are still many Catholics within our realm who do not look too kindly upon the possibility of us subjugating the head of the Church."

I know that you want to ensure that the Empire is behind this war. It is a large change after all. Perhaps I have gone unchallenged too long in my role in my time. Not like the Empire didn't benefit. I know that the Italian Wars alone results in as much as a dozen ducats a month to the Treasury. And the Last Crusade helped us demonstrate our power over the Mamluk and show our willingness to help my people.

*Petros gives a small smile*

But there is a reason why I am retiring now. My wife perished in the revolts in Athens, and your father died, the third time I saw one Emperor succeed another. You know that he was born in the same year as me? Funny thing mortality is. Makes one think about matters of succession and whether one has done enough for his Empire. Better to see one replaced and unneeded than to need to be replaced in a hurry. My days as Chancellor were with Pere, Francesc, and Ferran. Better to have a younger, more spirited man to go with the youngest monarch we have had in a while. It is time for a new generation to have their time, I will spend my days making sure that the Councillors are well enough to do their job, but that should not be a problem, I feel I did a good job.

((
Byzantium: Encourage Tolerance
Cusco: Integrate
Papal States: War

Count/Prime Minister/Funded Colony))
))

Last edited:
Eduard wakes up from his nap, orders food and coffee and submits this vote:

Byzantium: Encourage Tolerance
War with Papal States: No

((Courtier, Colonist, NPC Merchant, Funded Colony))

Almaden Hashem gave a speech:

"First of all, I would like to thank Prime Minister Petros Mandromenos for appointing me to his former position. After such a Chancellor, I have a long way to go to be even slightly noticeable. However, I would like to affect one thing.

For many years, Hispania has been facing religious troubles. At some times it seems to be a low simmer, but at other times it bubbles up, resulting in thousands dead. It has affected me, personally, too. After I was investigated, I thought my career would be over, for simply being suspected. But, I rose above the false accusations and religious troubles, and I believe Hispania has as well. However, I do not believe we can sit back and rest.

A major issue, is the fate of the Byzantines. What of tolerance there? Should we enforce it on to our subjects? I believe our decision here will shape history for years. First, let us look at Hispania. A few short lifespans ago, there were nearly no non-Catholics in all of Hispania. But there were some, and they grew in number. Therefore King Ferran IV enacted a ground-breaking edict. He decided to tolerate the other Christians. At last, were the Protestant and Reformed allowed to worship God in peace.

Then we allowed full tolerance of the non-Catholics. But, what did that mean? At last, we held a council. We formalized the relationship of the Crown to the Church, and, we formalized the relationship of Catholicism to Hispania. Rather than avow it as the only true means to salvation, we decided that the government of Hispania encouraged only Christianity.

All the while, our loyal subject has looked on, intrigued. Now, we have gone to a point that the Greeks wish to be heard. The noble Byzantines do not wish to be forced into the united Church of Jesus Christ. But, I believe that it is our duty to spread peace across our lands, and the lands of our vassals. However, in doing this, we must not become the very thing we seeked to destroy. We must not force anything, for that would go against our ideals. Rather, we must look at how Hispania has made it this far, and encourage Greece in the same direction.

First, we sanctioned the so-called heresies. Therefore, Byzantium must begin the same. I say, we should encourage tolerance in Byzantium.

Of course, we do have another subject. Cusco. I quite simply believe we should give the Cuscoans the same standards of life as us Hispanians have, and integrate Cusco.

Lastly, now that we have talked of our friends, let us talk of those who do not view in such a light. The Papal State. Now, while I could ask you the reason the Pope, God's conduit on Earth, is also the head of a state, which must surely take away from his spiritual duties, I ask you this: What would war with the Papal State mean? The reason Prime Minister Mandromenos wished to go ahead with this, is that the Papal State has caused so many bloody revolts, that to subjugate it would be the peaceful route. As long as they remain independent, the Papal State will lead thousands of innocent Catholics into treason, and eternal damnation. The Papal State, as it is now, is corrupt, and fulfills the opposite of its function. Rather than spreading salvation, it spreads death. If they were to come under the wing of Hispania, then they could see the error in their ways, and the Pope could become once again a conduit of God's grace.

Thank you, and once again, many thanks to Prime Minister Petros Mandromenos, who has served us well as a Chancellor."

((Vote:Byzantium: Encourage Tolerance
War with Papal States: Yes
Courtier, Diplomat))

Etxeto-arms.gif

The Musings of Duque y Conte y Conte Tomas IV B.L. Etxeto of House Etxeto
Byzantium's Religion: Catholicism
Cusco: Abstain
War with Papal State: No

Petros smiled as Hashem makes his speech. He seemed perfectly in tune with Petros's wishes. It seems that his pseudo-retirement might be closer to the real thing than he hoped. But he still could have problems, right now his son Demetrios.

Demetrios was still sitting in his seat by himself, halfway through his second bottle of wine. His father hoped the man drunk himself into unconsciousness before he did anything drastic...

He watched as his grandson spoke to the Montsegur delegation, and started to approach the group

@alscon

((Byzantium: Encourage Tolerance
War with Papal States: Yes

[Duke, Chamberlain&Marshal, Cortz, General, funded colony]))

Marie admired the architecture of the Chancellory. Valencia was so much like she had always imagined! Her home in Eora was nice, but it was still a young colony. Lost in her thoughts, a young man approached. Might he be her eventual husband? She giggled, while her father took another glass of wine.

((@Mach Twelve , I won't be home until Friday night, so if you want to IC with Clément and/or Marie, feel free. He is a soldier noble and hardened colonist, while Marie is... an Australian young lady, for the first time in Europe.))

Dietrich, being busy with other things, doesn't come to the banquet. Hermann, by contrast, is interested.

((Votes:
Byzantium's Religion: Encourage Tolerance, but if they choose to remain Catholic, so be it.
War with Papal State: Yes

Sidenote: what do I need to keep in mind for the councillor plans (specifically Grand Admiral)?))

Sidenote: what do I need to keep in mind for the councillor plans (specifically Grand Admiral)?))

((Well we're currently 62 ships below our force limit, so expansion is probably the best thing. Seeing as our armies are getting larger, it can't hurt to expand the transport fleet or even split it into two, seeing as we've already had problems when the transport fleet was overseas but needed in the Mediterranean. With our transport fleet at 37 ships and the larger armies in Europe at 20 men, we can't fit two armies on the fleet, or even one if we split the fleet. The main fleet is still quite impressive, but the fact we have 19 heavy ships and 41 galleys has always bother me. :p And of course trade ships are always needed, although we have 100. Basically you have a ton of space to work with and should definitely fill up that force limit.))

Reactions:
((Well we're currently 62 ships below our force limit, so expansion is probably the best thing. Seeing as our armies are getting larger, it can't hurt to expand the transport fleet or even split it into two, seeing as we've already had problems when the transport fleet was overseas but needed in the Mediterranean. With our transport fleet at 37 ships and the larger armies in Europe at 20,000 men, we can't fit two armies on the fleet, or even one if we split the fleet. The main fleet is still quite impressive, but the fact we have 19 heavy ships and 41 galleys has always bother me. :p And of course trade ships are always needed, although we have 100. Basically you have a ton of space to work with and should definitely fill up that force limit.))

((Ok, thanks.))

Grand Admiral Plan:
Slowly expand the transport fleet over time, then split it in two to maintain a reasonable size for our armies. I'm aiming for 30 in one fleet, 25 in the other, for now, but this may be expanded.
The main fleet should be expanded. With plenty of room to expand, I say that we should start out slow, so for now, add 5 heavy ships and 10 galleys.
As for trade ships, I'm going to leave that alone for now.
((Is this OK? :p))

Reactions:
Jean for unknown reasons was not informed of the ball and thus has not attended the feast, instead practicing his fencing skills and trying to get more familiar with the men under his command. When learning about the vote he immediately wrote a letter containing his opinion on the presented matters:

Byzantium's Religion: Encourage Tolerance

"I believe that not all romans are ready to embrace our tolerant ways. That is why I think tolerance should be encouraged and not forced. If we enforce our ways so rapidly it could only lead to instability in Anatolia and Greece. But letting them continue walk their misguided path is also something we cannot allow. As for our subjects in the new world I think it would be best if we integrate them into our empire. I think that way we could keep the region more stable and I would say that both sides would benefit. We could help the natives not only through trade and protection, but by sharing more of our technology, while they would provide us with more goods and funds. This brings me to the last point: The war with the Papal State. I think we should strike them swiftly and strengthen our position in the Italian peninsula, however we shouldn't take the holy city of Rome. In my humble opinion it would only anger the rest of the Christian world even more. It wouldn't be very wise, but then again I'm not skilled in diplomacy. I'm sure the chancellor and the diplomatic corps know what the consequences of the conquest of Rome would be."

JpsioAG.png

Miquel de Trastámara, Count of Madrid, announces his intention to marry his eldest son Ferran de Trastámara to Delores de Leon and his second son Alfons de Trastámara to Helena Mandromenos. May their unions be blessed with happiness and many children.

((@zenphoenix and @Mach Twelve, if either of you want me to PM you a list of offspring from these marriages, I'd be more than happy to provide that once I do the rolls.))

((Sorry for not posting more for the emperor at this chancellor event. I spent the last few days working on stuff for another AAR I help with. Anyway, time to end the vote.

Byzantium's Religion: Encourage Tolerance

As for the war with the Papal State, we shall go ahead and vassalize it as planned. What that means for the iAAR portion will be decided in the aftermath. ;)))