• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1651 – Change on the Horizon

The ecumenical council suggested by Countess Lúcia Fernanda Manuela de Maia took centre stage at the start of the year as holy men from various Christian faiths gathered to discuss the spiritual future of Hispania. In its initial meetings, the general consensus seemed to steer towards considering all Christian faiths as equal and throwing aside the idea of heresy, while still retaining Catholicism as the official state religion due to the vast majority of Hispanians still adhering to it. What hadn’t been made quite clear yet was the relation to the Crown and the fate of the heathens. For the former, there seemed to be a split between those that saw the emperor as the leading religious authority who derived his power from the Christian God and those who believed that with this new religious interpretation the emperor was actually fallible and drew his right to rule more from the nobles or the people. As for the latter, some wanted to take a gentler approach to the heathens in the hopes of converting them while others saw them as an enemy to unite against so as to bond all Christians more tightly together. The council still had to flesh these out, but they intended to meet a few more times over the next year or so.

While this was ongoing, the nobles had their own meeting of sorts. At the behest of Chamberlain Louis François de Montségur, Emperor Francesc arranged for a meeting of the Cortz to start discussing possible reforms for the advisory body. Talk of giving it more power was common, something of great importance as the realm discussed the religious fate of the empire.

As marshal, Montségur also had other duties to attend to. A mass recruitment drive was conducted across Iberia, with the goal of forming an army of roughly 26k men to serve as a colonial force. Seeing as the marshal intended for this new army to serve in non-European theatres, the emperor tentatively called it the Exercit Colonial. The second half of the transport fleet in East Africa had to be recalled home so that there would be enough ships to transport the new army to East Africa when recruitment was complete.

Even as everyone was looking inward, Chancellor Petros Mandromenos was looking to outwards. With a planned war against the Mamluks, armies were being put in place for the conflict. The transport fleet in Europe was tasked with transporting the Iberian armies to North Africa and the Italian ones to Anatolia, where the Exercit Athens was already marching to.

In April, Austria tried to bounce back from their defeat against Bohemia by targeting Salzburg. The tiny nation only had Bavaria and Munster to defend it, so Austria seemed a likely victor.

Brandenburg proved itself a more competent emperor than Saxony as they managed to not only defend Switzerland from Tuscany but dismantle the belligerent state. Switzerland gained two provinces, the Papal State suddenly had some of its land returned, and Tuscany was cut into pieces with the forced release of Ferrara and Lucca. Tuscany’s days as a dominant Italian power were over.

Shortly after Tuscany’s fall, His Holiness sent Emperor Francesc a request for military access, for now the Papal State had to administer over Urbino too. The request though was not entirely pleasant, for the sudden return of Papal land had reminded the pope of the lost lands once held by the Papal State, including Umbria. Subtle hints that such a request would not be needed if the Papal State still held the now Hispanian province irked the emperor greatly. Emperor Francesc’s reply was not so subtle. If the pope wanted to send his soldiers to Papal Urbino, he’d have to go by sea, for Francesc was not letting them march through Hispanian lands.

Chancellor Mandromenos, before focusing on the Mamluks, turned his gaze towards Oyo. Using a strategy perfected by his predecessors, he convinced Oyo to hand over the valuable trade port of Benin without a fight, for the African nation did not want a war. The new province also conveniently had a fort, making it much more defensible in its isolated position. Mandromenos had to delay his attempts at claiming an equally valuable port from Mutapa, for the chancellery was finding difficulty coming up with valid reasons to demand the province without Mutapa fighting back. ((We don’t have a province close enough to forge a claim on the trade bonus province, so we can’t threaten war for it.))

Austria decided to put a snag in the chancellor’s plans. They called Hispania to war, wanting assistance against Salzburg and their allies. Seeing as France had already joined alongside Austria, Emperor Francesc answered the call-to-arms. He announced that he had no intention of sending any armies, thus not requiring a vote by the Cortz, but that this was more to show support to their Austrian allies.

Austria won its first victory against Bavaria, paving the way to further success. Back in Hispania, Abdallah Lahsini, a man hired years ago to help organize the army, had found ways to expand the army without too many unnecessary expenses.

The earlier capture of Benin was already paying off. The valuable port was funneling trade goods out of Africa to Europe, and the Hispania was raking in most of the profits. For the first time in decades, the majority of trade in the region was controlled by the TATC.

A minor setback to the chancellor’s plans occurred as Byzantium started marching its army up into Hungary on their way to help the Austrians. It seemed that the war against the Mamluks could not be declared until they returned, for their army of nearly 50k men would be crucial in the upcoming war.

With expected battles in North Africa, the steward ordered the expansion of the fort at Ceuta. She also instituted reforms designed to lower inflation for the state and had a workshop constructed in Madeira. War taxes were put in place to fill the treasury.

Near the end of August, Emperor Francesc went to sleep one night and never woke up, having passed away peacefully in his sleep. With the man having been in his 70s, no one was entirely surprised. Thus his son Ferran ascended to the throne as Emperor Ferran V at the age of 51.

The year was proving to be an eventful one, what with the religious fate of Hispania up for debate, the loss of an emperor, and the marriage of the new Crown Prince. Yet another dilemma came to light as the new emperor was crowned. France had expanded their colonial presence. Ever since Hispania had conquered Portugal’s colonies in the Caribbean, France had shifted its focus from that region to Louisiana. Now it seemed to be looking south. Defying the Papal edict that declared that South America belonged to Hispania, France had set up a colony in Sante Fe, right next to Nuevo Leon and Hispania’s protectorate of Charrua. The French also made a move on Africa, setting up a colony along the Gold Coast and thus threatening to interfere with the TATC’s dominance of trade in the region. Perhaps this was all just a misunderstanding or perhaps it was a sign of things to come.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Ferran V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks. ((Slothful, Gregarious, Patient))

Such sad tidings bring us here today, but I—we are grateful for your attendance. We have ascended to the throne as is our birthright and shall reign over a prosperous Hispania. Long may we reign.

As for the matter of the current government, we could dismiss all the ministers and appoint a new prime minister more to our liking, but that seems like an awful lot of work. The Council served our father admirable and may continue to do so under our reign. Continue to do well so as not to displease us.

We also wish for our loyal subjects to continue their work in regards to matters of faith. We feel this is of great importance to the realm. We would like to see this resolved.

As for this matter of France settling within our colonial domain, we shall have to speak with our counterpart in France on such a matter. I am certain it can be resolved with ease. We spent much time in France during our youth. It’s a lovely country. Why this one time….

*Ferran blathers on about France for a half hour before dismissing everyone*

((The game does love to kill off the emperor less than a year into the update. :p Anyway, not much has changed, so I won’t require new minister plans unless you want to change yours. The current war alongside Austria might require a few changes, and the one province left the chancellor wants, war cannot be threatened for. If minister plans are to be posted, they should be posted before Monday at 12PM PST. Same goes for any laws or reforms. I’m going to try to wrap up this religious council by then too so we can officially vote on the issues brought up. Probably good to figure out what those specific issues are first. :D))

Petros sat at his desk, working as always. The past few months did much to delay his plans, since the Austrian declared war against a minor German State, and called the one ally he would need against the Mamluks. Damn those Germans, they were hostile when he mentioned the war to the ambassador a few months ago, begging that they had too much debt and were not concerned about a war. Now they delay it due to their own war! The Greek man was noticeably cold to any of German descent these days, and was not willing to bargain with them. But there was another problem, France. France had started threatening Hispanian Interests as well. Petros was troubled by these developments, were the French jealous of Hispanian Prosperity over the past few decades and were now looking to cut Hispania down to size? Petros couldn't know, but he did know the French would stand by their allies in battle, something that earned them a degree of respect. But the fact still remained, relations with other European Powers had gotten worse in the past few months, something he regreted.

athens COA 2.png
With French settlement of the Gold Coast, I stand validated in my efforts to secure Africa. The lost of a valuable port is regrettable, but our hold in the area is still strong. Our efforts in East Africa may be delayed for now, but we will have the area in time. It may require a war, but I stand by my assertions that the coasts need to be claimed. As for our War against the Mamluk, we wait for our ally France to be able to give its full attention. The Austrians and their pathetic little border conflict do not concern us, but we still need allies. Should the Marshal allow for the new Colonial Army to gain experience alongside our regular troops, we will not fail in our War. But, should we lose 26000 men on the eve of battle, I feel the need to delay our fight for another time.

Also, I choose to welcome our new Emperor to his throne, may his reign be long and prosperous like his father's.

Count Petros Mandromenos, Chancellor and Prime Minister of Hispania

'Nothing brings people closer together than common enemies', Montségur told his priest between council sessions. 'While they all seem to agree upon further rooting the tolerance of Christians in the bases of Hispania, the treatment of heathens shows the potential to unite us against a common enemy. It may also have been too long since the church could celebrate a good burning... I am sure you will have a lot of support.'
He then went on to express his condolences and loyalty to the new Emperor Ferran V.

Giovanni spoke up first as soon as the council began again. 'We have all had enough time to think about what has been said at our previous meeting. Time that you certainly have used to think about the matter of the heathens. Our enemies. Living with their lies and endangering the faithful, all of you know that. Now there have been voices calling for recognition. Isn't recognition an admittal that we think they are right, at least in some points? That we may doubt our own ways? Unlike the split of Christian denominations, where there is right thought if one is Protestant, Catholic or Lucrezian, heathens are wrong. And we don't want to accept any lies, give them any benefit of a doubt. Another thing to consider together with all other reasons speaking against it!

Then I wish to bring the attention to Almuden Hashem. A man who says that with our rejection, we treat heathens as not human. He only has to look at the New World to see that it is not the case. We enlightened the natives, and protect Cusco, in the hopes of spreading the word of god. Heathens can find a home in Hispania if they convert. The Jews are not being slaughtered, even if we do not accept their ways. Their religion hinders them in many matters, and it has to stay like that, for it is false!
But worse still, he openly said that the Inquisition would have threatened him years ago. What for? He doesn't speak against any Christian. So this means he fears retribution for his stance towards heathens - a matter in which the Inquisition still has an unhindered right to trial! This man is likely not only a heathen sympathizer, but a heathen himself! I therefore call for the Inquisition to investigate Almuden Hashem!'

I therefore call for the Inquisition to investigate Almuden Hashem!'

((Hmmm... this is a conundrum. We don't have any Catholic clergy, and thus no one to vote on holding an investigation and the verdict. The emperor does technically have the final say on whether or not an investigation can be carried out and can overrule the verdict, so I suppose he could take over. Unless someone wants to make their an official Catholic clergy and not just one for this event, I might just have to do that.))

Cardinal Martí de Trastámara listened intently to the others before chipping in again.

"I must concur on this matter of heathens. While all these Christian faiths differ in their own ways, we all at least recognize that we follow the same god. The heathens dispute this, worshipping a false god, and thus cannot be reconciled with so easily. I believe it better to focus on Christian unity before we even consider a change in stance towards heathens. Of course all efforts must be taken to bring them into the light, but surely we cannot recognize that they are right in any way, for that would be to deny the truth of God.

"As for this matter of an investigation of Almaden Hashem, it will have to be brought before the emperor. Ever since King Ferran IV declared that the Inquisition requires the Crown's approval to conduct such investigations, it has increasingly fallen under the purview of the Crown. In fact, it may well serve as a model for Church-Crown relations, if we wish to consider it as such. It would seem likely that if we are to consider all Christian faiths equal, it would require them to be made subservient to the Crown to ensure harmony is maintained between the faiths. Anyway, I shall have word sent to His Imperial Highness on the matter and see if he approves of this investigation."

The cardinal motioned a servant aside and passed on a message to be sent to the emperor.

"The Inquisition?" Emperor Ferran V said to the servant who had relayed Cardinal Martí de Trastámara's message. "Is that organization still around? I thought it had been abolished when all the Christians started getting all touchy-feely with each other."

The servant merely mumbled, too nervous to respond.

"And Hashem, you say? They want to investigate him for accusations of being a heathen?" Ferran pondered that for a moment. Hadn't the strange general who had almost verbally accosted him at his ball been a Hashem? That sounded about right. The emperor wouldn't be surprised if the son of such a man was a heathen.

That brought an image to Ferran's mind. What if the man was actually a heathen and Ferran unmasked him? He'd be a hero, finding this secret heathen at court who had been subverting the government. To bask in the praise would be glorious. And best of all, he just had to order others to do all the work while he received the credit. That sounded perfectly wonderful to him.

"Tell the cardinal that this investigation has my support. Have him send instructions to the Inquisition on the matter."

The servant bowed and left the room to carry out the emperor's order.

((I'm going to hold off on posting the results of the investigation just yet, since usually there's a gap between when the investigation is called and when it is conducted due to clergy voting, which didn't happen this time. Don't want it to feel like a rushed thing. People can discuss the fact it's ongoing or hirahammad can even IC the Inquisition searching his home or something. I'll probably post the result of the investigation tomorrow.))

Cardinal Martí de Trastámara listened intently to the others before chipping in again.

"I must concur on this matter of heathens. While all these Christian faiths differ in their own ways, we all at least recognize that we follow the same god. The heathens dispute this, worshipping a false god, and thus cannot be reconciled with so easily. I believe it better to focus on Christian unity before we even consider a change in stance towards heathens. Of course all efforts must be taken to bring them into the light, but surely we cannot recognize that they are right in any way, for that would be to deny the truth of God.

"As for this matter of an investigation of Almaden Hashem, it will have to be brought before the emperor. Ever since King Ferran IV declared that the Inquisition requires the Crown's approval to conduct such investigations, it has increasingly fallen under the purview of the Crown. In fact, it may well serve as a model for Church-Crown relations, if we wish to consider it as such. It would seem likely that if we are to consider all Christian faiths equal, it would require them to be made subservient to the Crown to ensure harmony is maintained between the faiths. Anyway, I shall have word sent to His Imperial Highness on the matter and see if he approves of this investigation."

The cardinal motioned a servant aside and passed on a message to be sent to the emperor.

"The Inquisition?" Emperor Ferran V said to the servant who had relayed Cardinal Martí de Trastámara's message. "Is that organization still around? I thought it had been abolished when all the Christians started getting all touchy-feely with each other."

The servant merely mumbled, too nervous to respond.

"And Hashem, you say? They want to investigate him for accusations of being a heathen?" Ferran pondered that for a moment. Hadn't the strange general who had almost verbally accosted him at his ball been a Hashem? That sounded about right. The emperor wouldn't be surprised if the son of such a man was a heathen.

That brought an image to Ferran's mind. What if the man was actually a heathen and Ferran unmasked him? He'd be a hero, finding this secret heathen at court who had been subverting the government. To bask in the praise would be glorious. And best of all, he just had to order others to do all the work while he received the credit. That sounded perfectly wonderful to him.

"Tell the cardinal that this investigation has my support. Have him send instructions to the Inquisition on the matter."

The servant bowed and left the room to carry out the emperor's order.

((I'm going to hold off on posting the results of the investigation just yet, since usually there's a gap between when the investigation is called and when it is conducted due to clergy voting, which didn't happen this time. Don't want it to feel like a rushed thing. People can discuss the fact it's ongoing or hirahammad can even IC the Inquisition searching his home or something. I'll probably post the result of the investigation tomorrow.))

The Archbishop rose from his seat again.

A investigation run by the Crown under all Churches would help establish relations of the Churches in Hispania, but I wish that it would be done in another manner. While I do not support the acceptance of heathens on any level for obvious reasons, I would see heathens converted than killed. I urge that this joint Inquisition seek to do the same should they find anything of note.

((elsewhere))

Petros read the reports from the Council and swore. If Hashem was found to be a heathen, it would be disastrous for any associated with him. As the man was a diplomat, Petros was among them.

((private))

Almaden watched the officials enter his home, with half a mind to order one of his servants to kill them all. They had come all the way to Brakna, and no one really knew what happened down there. But he couldn't bring himself to end another life for his own. They entered the manor, where they were greeted by a painting of Jesus, just barely put up. They had checked Almaden's residence in Valencia, but as he kept that quite secure, they found nothing.

Of course, the Brakna residence was a different matter. Though Almaden barely spent time there, they insisted to investigate it, because it was legally his primary residence. Almaden found himself wishing for the days before the administrative monarchy, where records could easily be lost and forgotten. The Inquisition entered the primary living quarters, when Almaden suddenly noticed a plank displaced near the far corner, where was kept the one prayer rug, and above of which, in the roof, was the sole Qur'an. If they saw it, they would find irrefutable proof. Of course, if they didn't notice it, while not completely safe, Almaden would be guarded for now. He fervently prayed while trying to keep up a calm appearance while they searched the room, something he could just barely do with all the help of his diplomatic training.

Would they find it?

Reactions:
The Archbishop rose from his seat again.

A investigation run by the Crown under all Churches would help establish relations of the Churches in Hispania, but I wish that it would be done in another manner. While I do not support the acceptance of heathens on any level for obvious reasons, I would see heathens converted than killed. I urge that this joint Inquisition seek to do the same should they find anything of note.

Cardinal Martí de Trastámara tried not to sneer at the idea of these non-Catholics getting involved in Church business. Clearing his throat first, he said, "The Inquisition still holds ties to the Catholic Church, even if it ultimately answers to the Crown, so it would be unseeingly for non-Catholics to be involved in its affairs. For the moment, Catholicism is the state religion and thus the Inquisition answers to the Crown and the Church, and only them. As for its methods, I can assure you that the Inquisition does not make a habit of murdering those it wishes to convert. It is difficult to save the souls of the dead, after all. The methods of persuasion used on heathens are merely more thorough than those previously directed towards heretics, that is all."

((private))

Almaden watched the officials enter his home, with half a mind to order one of his servants to kill them all. They had come all the way to Brakna, and no one really knew what happened down there. But he couldn't bring himself to end another life for his own. They entered the manor, where they were greeted by a painting of Jesus, just barely put up. They had checked Almaden's residence in Valencia, but as he kept that quite secure, they found nothing.

Of course, the Brakna residence was a different matter. Though Almaden barely spent time there, they insisted to investigate it, because it was legally his primary residence. Almaden found himself wishing for the days before the administrative monarchy, where records could easily be lost and forgotten. The Inquisition entered the primary living quarters, when Almaden suddenly noticed a plank displaced near the far corner, where was kept the one prayer rug, and above of which, in the roof, was the sole Qur'an. If they saw it, they would find irrefutable proof. Of course, if they didn't notice it, while not completely safe, Almaden would be guarded for now. He fervently prayed while trying to keep up a calm appearance while they searched the room, something he could just barely do with all the help of his diplomatic training.

Would they find it?

((Private))

Emperor Ferran V resisted the urge to throttle the inquisitor standing in front of him. "What do you mean you found nothing?"

The inquisitor nervously shuffled his feet. "We searched his home from top to bottom and found nothing that proved he was a heathen."

"Did you search both his residences in Valencia and Brakna?"

"We did," the inquisitor said. "The only things of any religious nature we found were a painting of Jesus and a bible. Nothing that proved the man a heathen."

The emperor took in a deep breath, trying to calm his rage. Because of this accusation made by some Protestant priest, Ferran had made a fool of himself, ordering the Inquisition to investigate an innocent man. He could not have his subjects thinking he had made a mistake. Appearances were everything. He had to shift the blame, even if this was not entirely his fault to begin with anyway.

"You will publicly apologize to Almaden Hashem on behalf of the Inquisition and declare him innocent," Emperor Ferran said. "You shall also announce that you were misled by false evidence. This whole farce was the fault of the Inquisition and those that called for this investigation. Do I make myself clear?"

The inquisitor had gone as white as a sheet. "Indeed, Your Imperial Highness."

"Then get to it!"

The inquisitor practically sprinted from the room. The Emperor merely hoped that this blunder would not threaten his reign.

((Well hirahammad lucked out with that roll. :p))

JpsioAG.png

The Inquisition and all its members wish to announce, on behalf of His Imperial Highness, Ferran V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks, that Almaden Hashem is found innocent of all charges. The Inquisition offers the accused a formal apology and shall investigate the validity of any accusations more thoroughly in the future.

'No matter if the Inquisition found nothing', Montségur said to Giovanni, who was increasingly getting more nervous. 'What I wanted has happened. The entire search has truly shown that we all stand united against the heathens, though I would perhaps have chosen another method to achieve that.'
The priest looked down in despair.
'Of course, my liege. I just felt that the Inquisition was the right thing to do, what with the man's words...'
'Yes, yes. Spare me the church matters. There is the clear image of the enemy, going so far as to search a residence in Brakna to find out the truth! Anyone with a sane mind cannot support heathen tolerance now - even if there should be less of a risk of the Inquisition to come knocking. There are other ways. If you have suspicions, keep them to yourself, share them with the sane participants of the council - and then see what you can do without the Inquisition.' The duke waved the priest away. More similarities than differences, good. Though he should perhaps have sent out a smarter man. Either way, there would likely be no impact of the council when he would lead the troops against the Mamluks, in his own responsability this time.

Carlos spoke again.

I stand behind Almaden Hashem, as did Felipé de Alvaro. If he, against all odds, is a heathen, he is a good heathen, placing his service to Hispania, as his father did before him.

Last edited:
((Private))

Almaden was overjoyed. He had already begun to transfer funds to a safehouse in Ethiopia, but, by God's Grace, they had not found anything. Now was his chance, if not to help his fellow heathens, but to further weaken the Inquisition.

((Public))

Almaden wishes to propose a new law:

Confirmation of Requests to Investigate

All requests for an Inquisition must have at least two advocates.

Almaden believes that this will prevent misuse of the Inquisition's time and resources, as if there are two who accuse a suspect, it is far less likely they are both incorrect in their suspicions.

Petros smiled as he looked at the proposed law from the diplomat, who had been cleared of all wrongdoing. A little reactionary for his tastes, but anything that placed the State above the various Churches would have his support.

((elsewhere))

The Archbishop spoke once more

I am pleased to hear that Hashem has been vindicated by the Inquisition, may we never doubt his House again. But we need to get back to topic. To do this, I will make the following statements to be proposed as edicts of this council, accept or reject them as you may

Edict One - State Religion of Hispania.

The Empire of Hispania is to retain its allegiance to the Catholic Church and its Emperor is to be a baptized Catholic, but the Emperor is to swear and uphold an oath to protect the other Christian Churches and their congregation from persecution. Discrimination of other Churches is hereby outlawed.

Edict Two - Relations between Church and Crown.
The Emperor is considered above the Churches and is allowed to dictate to them as he pleases, should it be in accordance to Edict One. The Churches are to be considered a critically important part of the Empire, like the Army. But like the Army, they will serve the Emperor. If any Church wishes to follow another outside authority, such as the Pope, they are free to do so as long as it does not conflict with the Emperor and his demands. It will be expected that the Emperor will be reasonable in his demands of the Churches.

Edict Three - Rights of Heathens.
Heathens are not extended the above rights. It is the Emperor's duty to see them converted, driven, or killed by either the Inquisition or the Army. A Council of the Churches will be called should there be cause to condemn a Church as preaching anything other than the Lord's Words.

Edict Four - Rights of the Emperor.
The Lord permits, but does not endow, the Emperor his authority. Rebellion against the Emperor is to be considered the highest of crimes, but he is to be considered as fallible as the rest of man. His authority is to be limited by being shared with others, such as the Small Council and the Cortz

Almaden believe there should be a change to the Archbishop's third Edict, in that killing heathens cannot be condoned unless they revolt.

Last edited:
"It seems that Edict Two and Four are in contrast to each other," Cardinal Trastámara said. "This council cannot simultaneously declare that the Churches, and thus all us men of the cloth, are placed below the emperor and then dictate the extent of the emperor's power. Either we are placed above him and thus have the power to decide the amount of power he wields or we submit to his will and recognize we have no authority over such things. For now we should just recognize that God has placed His Imperial Highness in a place of power to rule over us, just as he allows the nobles of this realm to govern over their own lands. I do not think it is in question that all men are fallible, including His Imperial Highness, for the only one who is infallible is God, but the emperor's place cannot be questioned, nor his authority over us."

As the cardinal finished speaking, a hooded figure in the priestly vestments of a Lucrezian rose to speak. "This council must let go of its sinful lust for power. I tire of hearing the constant battle between turning His Imperial Highness into a god-emperor or stripping his powers away. We are here to discuss matters of faith, not to put forward political agendas."

The attention of those gathered drifted to this Lucrezian, who removed their hood to remove the speaker to be a woman. A female priest was surely a shock to all those gathered, for the only other woman in the room was the countess of Lisboa. Silenced by the very presence of her gender, the priestess continued without interruption.

"It is time we let go of these petty desires and get down to the matter at hand. While I have heard some disturbing things regarding the treatment of heathens, I believe we are headed in the right direction regarding the Christian faiths. We must all embrace each others as brothers and sisters. Let us dispense of this concept of heresy and recognize each other as branches of the same tree. We may all look different, but we share the same roots. It would be in all our best interests, and in true service to God, to cooperate in all matters regarding the religious fate of Hispania. Perhaps a permanent council of sorts should be created to allow communication between faiths, where representatives can gather to discuss matters of faith and further the goals of Christianity. It might also be wise to involve all faiths in the various religious institutions within Hispania, such as the Inquisition.

"As for the matter of heathens, I fear that taking the path of violence is unbecoming of any good Christian. To slaughter these men simply for following another god makes us no better than them. We must prove ourselves the better by acting appropriately. We must show these heathens the truth of God and bring them under our guidance as good Christians. With patience and kindness, these heathens will soon come to see that our way is right through our actions. These heathens may have committed a grave sin by following a false god, but no sin is too great to forgive when your heart is filled with love for mankind."

"It seems that Edict Two and Four are in contrast to each other," Cardinal Trastámara said. "This council cannot simultaneously declare that the Churches, and thus all us men of the cloth, are placed below the emperor and then dictate the extent of the emperor's power. Either we are placed above him and thus have the power to decide the amount of power he wields or we submit to his will and recognize we have no authority over such things. For now we should just recognize that God has placed His Imperial Highness in a place of power to rule over us, just as he allows the nobles of this realm to govern over their own lands. I do not think it is in question that all men are fallible, including His Imperial Highness, for the only one who is infallible is God, but the emperor's place cannot be questioned, nor his authority over us."

As the cardinal finished speaking, a hooded figure in the priestly vestments of a Lucrezian rose to speak. "This council must let go of its sinful lust for power. I tire of hearing the constant battle between turning His Imperial Highness into a god-emperor or stripping his powers away. We are here to discuss matters of faith, not to put forward political agendas."

The attention of those gathered drifted to this Lucrezian, who removed their hood to remove the speaker to be a woman. A female priest was surely a shock to all those gathered, for the only other woman in the room was the countess of Lisboa. Silenced by the very presence of her gender, the priestess continued without interruption.

"It is time we let go of these petty desires and get down to the matter at hand. While I have heard some disturbing things regarding the treatment of heathens, I believe we are headed in the right direction regarding the Christian faiths. We must all embrace each others as brothers and sisters. Let us dispense of this concept of heresy and recognize each other as branches of the same tree. We may all look different, but we share the same roots. It would be in all our best interests, and in true service to God, to cooperate in all matters regarding the religious fate of Hispania. Perhaps a permanent council of sorts should be created to allow communication between faiths, where representatives can gather to discuss matters of faith and further the goals of Christianity. It might also be wise to involve all faiths in the various religious institutions within Hispania, such as the Inquisition.

"As for the matter of heathens, I fear that taking the path of violence is unbecoming of any good Christian. To slaughter these men simply for following another god makes us no better than them. We must prove ourselves the better by acting appropriately. We must show these heathens the truth of God and bring them under our guidance as good Christians. With patience and kindness, these heathens will soon come to see that our way is right through our actions. These heathens may have committed a grave sin by following a false god, but no sin is too great to forgive when your heart is filled with love for mankind."

The Greek man spoke once again to defend his words.

The Lord is wise that is true, and I hope he never permits disaster upon his most loyal followers, but he is also known to intervene in strange ways. When the Jews heard of the Messiah from their prophets, they imagined a great general. A man who would lead their army to glory and victory on the battlefield, carving a kingdom for themselves and ensure that they would no longer be slaves to the Babylonian, Greek, Egyptian, or Roman as they have been in the past. They expected a Jewish Alexandros Megas. Compared to this vision, the Lord Jesus would be quite a disappointment, especially when under perhaps their most brutal oppressors yet.

But make no mistake, He was the Messiah. He did give them victory, not over man, but over sin, over the Devil. The Lord rarely interacts in ways that are direct. The miracles of Jesus's ascension was perhaps the most recent direct intervention on this Earth. The Lord works through illness, works through weather, works though other people instead. But as I have said, he does not work through them all the time. The Emperor can be prone to error, or can need to be removed. I pray that never happens, but we MUST recognize it can. If such a thing occurs, we only have one option, to overthrow him using violence.

This is regrettable for many reasons. The loss of life and destruction of property is rarely a boon, and I do not believe the Lord prefers this method. When he chose to send his son to us, why did he send a Lamb and not the Lion that was expected. Because he did not want to cause bloodshed if it could be avoided. He wanted all to see His light and turn to him without death, much unlike the Muslim, who spread his false faith by the sword, the Son and his followers spread it in peace, by preaching, by healing. If the Emperor does not have limitations on his power, a way to check him if needed, and that Emperor refuse to step down, the only path is by the sword. Listen to me brothers, I was there in Athens! I saw what the path of the sword does when we turn on another! We cannot allow this. We MUST give a way for God to operate through peace, so he will not operate through death. All of us must see that this is a preferable alternative than revolution.

As for the heathens, I will concede and make one modification.

Heathens are not extended the above rights. It is the Emperor's duty to see them converted, driven, or killed by either the Inquisition or the Army, but the Emperor is encouraged to use death as only a last resort when no other method will do. A Council of the Churches will be called should there be cause to condemn a Church as preaching anything other than the Lord's Words.

Gaston sat in his room, pondering about what he could accomplish in his life. Would he be able to become as great as his grandfather? Of maybe become equal to the one who started this family... Gaston shook his head, a heavy sigh passing through his mouth. He would never be able to accomplish as much as they did, but he could try. And that he will. First thing he would try is to become a count, like his father always dreamed. He grabbed a quill and some ink and began to write a letter, a letter to the Emperor himself:

Your Majesty,
I, your humble and loyal servan, write to you with a simple request. For, you see, I would wish to ask from you that you grant me countship over Roussillon. My family has loyally served the Empire for at least a century, and I believe that such loyalty should be rewarded, shouldn't it? And granting this land to a man such as me would only make it a little easier for you. After all you will have one less county to worry about. I do hope you see why I would ask such think from you, and I hope you will fulfill my request.
Your lowly subject,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre,
Baron of Perpinyà, Head of house de Saint-Pierre

He looked at what he just wrote before putting it in an envelope and sealing it with wax. He called a servant and ordered them to deliver it as fast as possible. Gaston pondered more... What if an organization dedicated solely to delievering mail existed. Something similar to the Imperial Richepost system operating in the Holy Roman Empire... He'll have to think more about it later on. Right now he had to write one more letter, this time addressed to Marshal Montségur. He grabbed another piece of paper and started to write:

Esteemed Marshal Montségur,
I wirte to you to ask one thing of you. I would wish to join the ranks of our nation's glorious army as a general and help lead out man to victory in combat against those that dare to stand against our magnificent Empire! I hope you will grant me this honor, and allow me so serve our nation just like my grandfather Matthias before me,
With all due respect,

(( Asking to become a general, my stat focus will be on fire, unless I'm not going to be allowed to become a general.))

The Greek man spoke once again to defend his words.

The Lord is wise that is true, and I hope he never permits disaster upon his most loyal followers, but he is also known to intervene in strange ways. When the Jews heard of the Messiah from their prophets, they imagined a great general. A man who would lead their army to glory and victory on the battlefield, carving a kingdom for themselves and ensure that they would no longer be slaves to the Babylonian, Greek, Egyptian, or Roman as they have been in the past. They expected a Jewish Alexandros Megas. Compared to this vision, the Lord Jesus would be quite a disappointment, especially when under perhaps their most brutal oppressors yet.

But make no mistake, He was the Messiah. He did give them victory, not over man, but over sin, over the Devil. The Lord rarely interacts in ways that are direct. The miracles of Jesus's ascension was perhaps the most recent direct intervention on this Earth. The Lord works through illness, works through weather, works though other people instead. But as I have said, he does not work through them all the time. The Emperor can be prone to error, or can need to be removed. I pray that never happens, but we MUST recognize it can. If such a thing occurs, we only have one option, to overthrow him using violence.

This is regrettable for many reasons. The loss of life and destruction of property is rarely a boon, and I do not believe the Lord prefers this method. When he chose to send his son to us, why did he send a Lamb and not the Lion that was expected. Because he did not want to cause bloodshed if it could be avoided. He wanted all to see His light and turn to him without death, much unlike the Muslim, who spread his false faith by the sword, the Son and his followers spread it in peace, by preaching, by healing. If the Emperor does not have limitations on his power, a way to check him if needed, and that Emperor refuse to step down, the only path is by the sword. Listen to me brothers, I was there in Athens! I saw what the path of the sword does when we turn on another! We cannot allow this. We MUST give a way for God to operate through peace, so he will not operate through death. All of us must see that this is a preferable alternative than revolution.

As for the heathens, I will concede and make one modification.

Heathens are not extended the above rights. It is the Emperor's duty to see them converted, driven, or killed by either the Inquisition or the Army, but the Emperor is encouraged to use death as only a last resort when no other method will do. A Council of the Churches will be called should there be cause to condemn a Church as preaching anything other than the Lord's Words.

Cardinal Trastámara sputtered for a bit before replying. "You should be careful when uttering such borderline treason! First you say that rebellion against the emperor is the highest crime, and now you dare to say not only should people violently overthrow him but that they may need to. I'm afraid you do not understand how a monarchy is supposed to work. A monarch is not some elected official who can be removed from power whenever he displeases someone. He has been placed there by God, and thus it is not our position to question that. I am not saying that he may not be held accountable for his actions, but we should not go about stirring up rebellion because the emperor does something that you don't like. You say you do not want the horrors of Athens to occur again? Well that is exactly what will happen if the very idea that people can overthrow their emperor whenever they feel like it spreads. No, if you want to make the emperor more accountable for his actions, you should seek avenues outside of rebellion. Let the Cortz or Small Council handle such matters, for as I said earlier it is not our place to decide such things. Let us return to matters of faith before His Imperial Highness gets word of this discussion. We are here at his behest after all, and it would not do to risk the ire of our gracious host by conspiring against him within his own home."

Cardinal Trastámara pondered on that a moment. It made him miss Emperor Francesc. Now that man would not be phased by such talk, for he was confident and secure in his position. He would have nipped such treasonous talk in the bud, especially when it came from a religious figure, for surely the late emperor would not have allowed any church to gain any such power over him. Emperor Pere would have reacted quite differently. The man who had created the position of prime minister and willingly limited his own power would probably have taken such talk as a critique and found ways to reform the government as such. The cardinal could not imagine the current emperor doing such a thing. The man loved attention and the power of his station. Any threat to his cushy lifestyle would not be appreciated. Cardinal Trastámara hoped the archbishop of Athens realized such a thing before the emperor got wind of this little discussion.

"Back on topic, this Council of the Churches you mention, is this meant to be some official body? If we do indeed elevate the status of all Christians, it might indeed be prudent to have something in place to allow for communication between the various faiths. Such a body, as suggested, would need to cooperate to determine what is considered Christian and what is not. I only pray such a venture does not descend into quarrelling over religious practices."

Gaston sat in his room, pondering about what he could accomplish in his life. Would he be able to become as great as his grandfather? Of maybe become equal to the one who started this family... Gaston shook his head, a heavy sigh passing through his mouth. He would never be able to accomplish as much as they did, but he could try. And that he will. First thing he would try is to become a count, like his father always dreamed. He grabbed a quill and some ink and began to write a letter, a letter to the Emperor himself:

Your Majesty,
I, your humble and loyal servan, write to you with a simple request. For, you see, I would wish to ask from you that you grant me countship over Roussillon. My family has loyally served the Empire for at least a century, and I believe that such loyalty should be rewarded, shouldn't it? And granting this land to a man such as me would only make it a little easier for you. After all you will have one less county to worry about. I do hope you see why I would ask such think from you, and I hope you will fulfill my request.
Your lowly subject,

JpsioAG.png

It is indeed quite a burden ruling over so much land because of irresponsible nobles. Your family has at least been quite active at court. Take Roussillon and remember who so graciously granted you such a title.

- His Imperial Highness, Ferran V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

(( Asking to become a general, my stat focus will be on fire, unless I'm not going to be allowed to become a general.))

((May as well clarify that even though the general positions are filled, you'd just end up taking one of the non-active character's positions. If alscon does hire you, I'll just remove one of them and replace them with your character. It should be noted that this does not mean the non-active character was fired, just that he was removed from the game for now. It would be a bit too gamey if we just hired a ton of non-active characters as generals and filled our leadership pool. If at any point an opening comes up, I'll just add back in the non-active character with the same stats as before. Non-active characters serving in such rolls is mostly for filler and roleplay reasons anyway.))

Your ambition to lead troops in the name of the empire is commendable, but it is not a request I can grant, at least not know. You do lack experience in the field. Luckily, this can be remedied easily. A man with an ambition and a forefather such as your grandfather has the potential to make a fine general one day. I am willing to give you this experience in the next war as one of my officers, then I will see if you will be worthy of generalship.
If not, I can perhaps appoint you as leader of the new Exercit Colonial. Africans are not likely to put up much resistance, yet it still offers a chance to prove your skills out in the field. I will have to see with the Emperor if that is possible first though. ((Maybe always have a conquistador in charge of that army, as it fits the general idea behind its deployment?))

The military needs men like you, willing to fight for the greatness of the empire.
General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Marshal of Hispania

((Private))

Crown Prince Alfons paced around his quarters, mumbling to himself. A momentous meeting was occurring within the very palace, yet he was not a part of it. He had been explicitly told not to interfere with the ecumenical council and that was eating away at him. He wanted to help decide the religious future of Hispania. Should not the future emperor play his part in this? Yet his grandfather, the late Emperor Francesc, had forbade him from attending, stating that petty religious disputes should not be the concern of a future emperor. His father, Emperor Ferran, had merely extended the same warning, although it seemed that the man didn’t particularly care what Alfons did.

“I should be there,” Alfons said, not the first time he had uttered such words. “This is too important to miss.”

His new wife, Caterina de Trastámara, had to keep reminding herself of that, looked out in sympathy to her husband. Although he had great tact, her Grandfather-in-law had specifically told him to not get involved. Gently, and with a soft and graceful glide went to her husband and coddled “My dear, I am sure Grandpapa knew what he was doing, much as I know you could do well in this medium, I don’t know if it would be wise to preside into such matters. One of your many cousins is there also, isn’t that enough Trastámaras in one place?” She gently teased, as she wrapped her hands softly around Alfons’s waist.

“The only reason my grandfather forbade me from attending is because he hated the Church,” Alfons said with a pout. “The man probably thought I’d be corrupted by their influence just by attending. My father only extends the same warning because he fears it will mean he’ll be forced to be involved to, and heaven forbid he has to do something in this whole affair.”

Alfons stood still, letting his wife embrace him. He couldn’t let it go so easily. “I should be there.”

“Ease my Prince, your time will come. I am sure that despite Grandpa’s distaste for religion, recall he did allow you to marry me, related to two of the three Hispanian Popes. Perhaps he felt that such an alliance would placate the Church, and you know there are so many things I could tell you” She seductively purred into Alfons’s ears, her arms rubbing gently into the Crown Prince’s shoulder blades.

“More likely it was the Soneta name that had more influence than your family’s history with the Church,” Alfons said amid quiet groans as Caterina rubbed away the tension in his shoulders. He was all wound up and his muscles were tense as a result. He could feel her working at the knots beneath his skin and it was slowly soothing him.

“Perhaps, but it does help to have a little bit to play with. You seriously shouldn’t focus on matters of religion just yet. Hell, have you even read some of the books that father gave you to read up on such matters, for when you become Caesar, because I have, and trust me, they are no pretty read.” She further teased, gently coaxing the Prince out of his formal jacket.

“I’ve spent my whole life preparing to assume the throne,” Alfons said, noticeably less enthusiastically than earlier. “Being involved in this will prepare me for what is to come. I want to be a good emperor, and a good emperor would be involved in all matters of state.” He let out a sigh though, partly from the whole discussion and his wife’s relaxing influence. “Maybe I’m just trying too hard.”

“Darling, the problem isn’t that you try too hard it is,” Caterina’s voice lowered to a whisper, “that your father tries too little. You are being so strong and brave and courageous to take it upon yourself to lead this country in basically all but name. Just sometimes I think you and I both need to know the certain privileges that come with one being the Crown Prince and Princess of the Empire.” Further teased Caterina, pulling her husband towards their luxant bedchamber.

“Privileges?” Alfons said, still somewhat oblivious to what his wife was doing. He let out another sigh. “All I can think of are the responsibilities. There is always so much to do, and yet I cannot do it all.”

“There is something you can do My Prince” purred Caterina, as she seductively laid on the 4 poster bed.

“And what is that?” Alfons asked right before he looked down at his wife on the bed. His face went a bright crimson as he finally caught on to her intentions, embarrassed he hadn’t caught on to her intentions earlier.

“Make an heir, my darling. After all, it is for the good of the realm” she echoed his words in a most seductively teasing voice.

A smirk slowly spread across Alfons’s face. “I suppose that is one princely duty I can perform.” He removed his clothes and moved onto the bed next to Caterina, pulling her close. “For the good of the realm, of course.”

((Thanks to @ML8991 for helping me write that. Felt it was time to flesh out the crown prince.))

((This looks like a man in Pere's image. Huzzah! Now all he has to do is kill one of my son's and it's complete, we get a republic during his reign.))