• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((1647))

An uprising in Athens? Clergy inciting a revolt against the Emperor, attacking his latifundium in the area due to his connection with the man? Burning and pillaging as the please due to some perceived slight? To say that Petros was upset would be saying that the Crown Prince was a overreacted a little in the ball in 1644. That is, a grave understatement. As the thousands of soldiers marched off their ships to liberate the county. He turned to the general in charge and growled at him

No survivors. All those who raised the flag of rebellion pay with their lives.

((1651))

Things had improved over the last three years, the rebellion was a distant memory. His estates had been repaired and were now producing at old levels. And more importantly, his colony in St. Kitts had become self sufficient. Soon Kitts Cotton would be found in every shirt in Hispania, he hoped. He did like the new, light fabric, much better for summer-wear than the woolen garments he usually wore.

His oldest son Demetrios had wed in 1644, spending much time touring the country with Catherine throughout the year. They circled the coasts of Spain and spent much time in Western Italia. When the couple returned to Athens, Catherine was already with child! And from where his granddaughter came so did three more! Demetrios was made an army officer, and participated in the Athens revolt, then following the army to its foes. Petros hoped his son would be made into a general soon.

His other son Andreas, who wanted to join the Church, decided to pursue law after seeing the effects of the revolt. He was working the Imperial Courts in Athens and quickly distinguishing himself. Andreas had yet to be wed, and his House in Byzantium was putting much pressure to arrange a match for Andreas themselves. Petros could only hope that someone would offer an alternative.

((I would like an update on Sophia @Raboude, especially any children.))

Petros looked over the information in front of him, if it was accurate, it would be a great boon to the Empire. At least one man asked him to consider this beforehand, and Petros had to agree that the Grandmaster had a point. Also, finishing his African Ambitions was important, and the remaining pieces of land could be gained without war.

((Chancellor's Plan:

Threaten War on Ovo and Mutupa for the two trade provinces in their possession. This will give us the 50% needed to get the merchants for the West and East African TC and will complete my African Ambitions. Next up will be India, but not until the Maldives are a city.

Call for War on the Mamluks with Morocco as a co-belligerant, if the Cortz allows. I'm feeling squished between the Poles and a Great Muslim Alliance that the Mamluks have. With Byzantium and France with us, they can't stand against us, but we need to grab some clay and force these guys to revoke their alliance in a peace deal. Byzantium needs more Anatolia and we could use Safi ourselves. We still get the Crusade bonus, which is a nice buff to our armies, which will help the war. We may need to raise autonomy to deal with the uprising since we might need to move troops from Africa to Europe, but it shouldn't be a big deal...

))

Petros decided to mae a proposal for all to see.

Correction of the Cortz Act:

Should the Nobility of Hispania feel that one of the Cortz no longer represents them, they can remove that member by a majority vote.

Last edited:
sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My imperial grace, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks, and esteemed colleagues of the court,

By the time you read this letter, my time has already come. It is with great joy and pride I leave this earth and join my forefathers i heaven.
Hispania have reached heights never before seen in the world, and is the most powerful country on the face of this earth. Our influence are felt to the far reaches, and everyone knows of Hispania. I leave this world knowing that Hispania will reach even greater heights, and its people will be the most powerful on the face of this world.

As I leave this world, my son will take over the duchy of Sardinia, as intended.
In my stead as Prime Minister, I would warmly recommend the venerable Petros Mandromenos, despite being a newcomer, he has shown great skill in all aspects of governing.
I feel he is the best suited to take up the mantle of Prime Minister of the great nation of Hispania.

Go in peace, and may God bless Hispania and its people.

Felipé de Alvaro, Duke of Sardinia, Prime Minister of Hispania
Lux Tenebris Vincet

At age 92, Felipé de Alvaro died in his sleep. The letter he had composed was sent to the Emperor and the various members of the Court.

((New character:
Name: Andrés de Alvaro
Born: 18th of December 1610
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Andrés was brought up in his forefathers footsteps, training in military arts from a young age, and often sparring with his younger brother.
He studied law, a first in the Alvaro family, and worked as a laywer before his fathers passing. Know, he would take up the mantle of duke of Sardinia.

Reactions:
Another Grandmaster from the Saint-Pierre died. Jean Gérard died of old age in the yeat 1644 at the age of 70.

((New character time!))

Name: Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre
Date of birth: 1604
Class: Noble
Bio: Gaston is the oldest son of Luc-Pierre de Saint-Pierre the last baron of Perpinyà, which was granted to his grandfather Matthias, the great general of Hispania.

((Woo-hoo, reallt terrible IC of death and a terrible bio.))

Reactions:
Emperor Francesc paced around his chambers, deep in thought. The passing of Duke Alvaro left him without a prime minister, a position that must be filled. It seemed that each possible candidate had noticeable flaws that made each of them less than perfect for the position. The most likely to succeed Alvaro were a Greek, a woman, and a Protestant, neither the optimal choice. Still, they were not without skill. Ultimately, Alvaro's public endorsement had to be taken into consideration. That was the deciding fact. Thus the emperor wrote up a letter to the next prime minister of Hispania.

JpsioAG.png

Your service to the Crown has been exemplary of late, but I must ask more of you at this time. The late Duke Alvaro has left a gap in government that must be filled. Thus I offer you the position of prime minister of Hispania. You may of course continue to serve as chancellor as well as prime minister. I would also ask of you that you appoint a new treasurer and grandmaster, for both positions have been left empty. May you help lead Hispania to a bright future.

- His Imperial Highness, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((@Mach Twelve is the new prime minister. He may now appoint whoever he wants to any of the appointed council positions, even if currently occupied, although anyone can object to these appointments. For now I'd be content with filling to two empty positions.))

Petros was sitting at his desk in the Chacellory, pen furiously writing away at a letter to the representative from France. Relations with the French were warm, but he still needed to utilize favors from the King and prominent nobles that he gained over the years to get them to honor their alliance with Hispania. It should not be too difficult, but it still needed to be done. Suddenly, a letter arrived. Petros was initially annoyed by the interruption, but it quickly faded after he read the message. Prime Minister. The second most powerful man in Hispania, a position that made him more powerful than most kings in the world. Petros could not help but smile. He had done it. But as he knew well the phrase Vae Victus always applies to these matters. The Prime Minister needed to ensure that he would not be toppled so quickly.

Athens COA.png
As the Prime Minister of Hispania, it is within my power to select the members of the Small Council as I see fit. After much consideration I have chosen the following people to serve in these capacities.

Chancellor: Petros Mandromenos - The only other person with the experience to be made Chancellor would be Countess de Maia. Since she is serving in another role, I have decided to continue my work as Chancellor as well as Prime Minister

Steward and Treasurer: Lucia de Maia -
Countess Lucia has been a fine and just Steward. Since the two offices are connected heavily, I see no reason why she wouldn't be a fine Treasurer as well.

Grandmaster: Alejandro de Soneta - The de Soneta have been connected with our merchants for generations. I see no reason why the Duke would not be a good choice.

Marshal: Louis de Montsegur - Duke Montsegur has proven himself to be a fine general. I hope his talents make him a fine marshal as well. As for Marshal Hashem, I thank him for his service over the years and move to grant him a just reward in both material goods and honors, but I believe that Hispania needs another man commanding our armies. ((Guess who just got forcibly retired)) Because of the post's duties, I will be required to remove Duke Montsegur from his post as Viceroy to Cusco.

Grand Admiral: Dietrich Lubecker - I see no reason why he should not be made Admiral.

Let the Lord watch over us,
Petros Mandromenos, First Count of Athens, Prime Minister and Chancellor of Hispania

((I was just going to die anyways.
private))
Almudena was gazing out the window of his Brakna residence, which he had not often been present in due to his generalship. It had changed so much since the days of his youth. The rooms had been rearranged, furniture covered in sheets. For many years, no one had lived there except a few trusted servants, who occupied a small portion of the estate and kept it running. His son, Almaden, had spent almost no time at all at Brakna. He thought he could see the simple grave of his father on a small bluff overlooking the original house. He read the letter Almaden had given Almudena upon Almaden's arrival. It was a letter from the new Prime Minister, Petros Mandromenos, informing him that Louis Monstegur had taken his place as Marshal.

Ten minutes later, Almaden entered the room and found his father no longer living, with this letter all but finished but for the last "m".

Dear Louis de Montsegur,

I congratulate you upon your appointment as Marshal. I recommend you consider Demetrios Mandromenos as a candidate for generalship ((If he ever becomes an active character)).

Sincerely,
Almudena Hashem

((public))

Almudena, Marshal, general of the Hispanian Empire, father, husband, has died. All are invited to attend his funeral at Brakna.

Almudena bequeathes his estate to his sole child and heir, Almaden Hashem, along with everything in it.
Etc.
Private Portion
Almaden is instructed to remove the third drawer from the left in his father's room, and twist the knob counter-clockwise to find a manuscript.

Name: Almaden Hashem
Date of birth: February 9, 1604
Class: Courtier
Bio: Almaden, son to the general Almudena, trained in debate and law, and then assisted under Duke Alvaro, wishes to become a Royal Diplomat.

Reactions:
((I have been asked if non-active characters, like relatives of a player's active character, can assume positions like general, etc. I am not against it, so if players want to have their heirs serve as generals or admirals, I am fine with that. I'm not sure about roles like diplomat or merchant, but I suppose if a player wants one of them for a non-active character that is fine too. Council positions are off limits though to non-active characters. Also I will make it clear that only active characters receive VP or votes, so having your character's heir serve as a general will not boost your active character's VP or give him an extra vote. I'd also probably limit it to one non-active character per player, preferably that character's heir, so as to avoid someone filling roles with relatives. Preference should always be given to active characters if there is competition for a position. Anyway, it should serve as a good way to introduce a character's heir to court and get them situated beforehand.))

Reactions:
The clergy thought it a wise idea to incite to peasants to revolt. Now, thousands of them lay in the mud of Toledo, never to think of rebellion again. Their leaders, seeing the nearing defeat, hid in some churches. What did they expect? For Montségur to leave them be, in the very same place they incited the revolt in? Catholic zealots, spurred on by power-hungry clergy, are a danger for the entirety of Hispania. Of course simply retreating to a church wouldn't stop him. They chose war, so they shall receive the treatment of war. Many were reluctant to storming the churches. So he opened fire. May the ruins of the buildings bury that scum, and stand evermore as a monument reminding the people not to revolt.

myKh8vJ.png

The Catholic church has once again shown its true face in the last years. There are so many foul weeds to root out... it might be time to look for a new field. A start would be to dissolve the so-called 'knights' on Malta. There is nothing knightly in rebellion against the Emperor. The island should be freed from that nasty influence, and be given out to a loyal vassal instead. There hasn't been any benefit from the knights, only violent conservative reactions.
I also wish to congratulate Count Mandromenos to his new post, and I think his initiative for further Cortz reform is most commendable. Too often were members of the Cortz simply staying inactive instead of fulfilling their duties. As for the post of Marshal, I shall gladly accept it. Still, I do not want to see Cusco mistreated in any way - I do have a proposal to solve this. Marti de Leon knows our history with Cusco almost as well as a Montségur, and he is always carrying a reminder of it with him. He is the perfect person to take over as Viceroy.
My first act as Marshal would be to fill out the ranks of our generals. My late predecessor recommended Demetrios Madromenos, and I trust in his judgment concerning this matter, so if the young man is willing, I will appoint him. The second general I want to appoint is my son Maximilien Philippe. He has gained a lot of experience in my campaigns and I know that he is up to the task.
((These are the only two known characters with some army experience, so the only candidates to consider. I've got an idea should anyone else be willing to serve in the army: If we have a conquistador, all non-European wars could be waged with a conquistador in command.))
May Hispania continue to prosper.

General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Chamberlain of the Cortz and Marshal of Hispania

((also attempting to convert Pirineo next))

Last edited:
The Prime Minister sat at his desk as the reports came in. Not only did the retired Marshal accept his situation, he passed away a few days later. It was a somber affair. Petros made sure that the man would be remembered by the people of Hispania by commissioning a scholarship in the name of the deceased Marshal, one student a year would be selected and would have his tuition and living expenses paid for to study the art of war to become a member of Hispania's officer corps. Petros hoped that the Hashem Scholars would do the nation proud.

Petros looked over the Marshal's response, and decided to reply.

athens COA 2.png

I thank the Marshal for his decision to make my son a general. I am sure that his talents will aid Hispania in the upcoming war. I have been told that he is accustomed to using the flintlock and cannon as an effective tool to break the enemy long before the charge ((I choose Fire as my emphasis)). As for the post of Viceroy, it isn't as critical as either Marshal or Chancellor so I see no reason to force anyone to fill it. But if Kyrios Leon chooses to pursue it, I will not object.

Also, I will be making Almaden Hashem the replacement of his mentor as diplomat. It is high time he received such a post. In addition, since I was very pleased by the previous arrangement with his father, I am looking to do something similar with both myself and my friend the Countess de Maia. A few years of tutelage and training under either of us will be a great boon to any future diplomat.

Petros Mandromenos, First Count of Athens, Chancellor and Prime Minister of Hispania

((also attempting to convert Pirineo next))

((Unfortunately you failed to convert Pirineo and it was made public, so @ML8991 may want to react to another noble interfering in his duchy if he wants. Also you might want to provide a focus for your character's son as a general.))

JpsioAG.png

His Imperial Highness, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks wishes to announce that he shall be seeking a young Hispanian bride for his grandson Alfons de Trastámara, second in line to the throne. Any noble family of Hispanian roots may present their young daughters for such a union.

((I need to marry off Crown Prince Ferran's sole son and heir, and I think it's about time I started marrying the royal family more closely to local nobility. Now unlike previous matches with more distant relatives, a player would be marrying off one of their characters to a future emperor. Now while I'd still have control over when and how many children are born from the union, I am fine with a player using that character as their active one, so if someone wants to potentially play as empress in the future, here's your chance. Now the game better not end up giving Ferran an exceptionally long reign so that Alfons's is short or killing him off or that will ruin this entirely. :p

If you're wondering, Alfons is born in 1630, so 21 years old. Aim to present women his age or younger.))

"Well, guess I'm not that young anymore," Marti muttered to his wife, "Twenty years of fighting the heathens and other enemies of the crown can do that to you. I really should be getting back into family politics."

Marti de Leon proposes that his daughter Marina be married to the crown prince. Marina is about twenty years old. She is skilled in several languages, poetry, and music. She has a pleasant attitude and has never attempted to stir up trouble of any kind; rather, she has made many friends and no enemies, always seeking to resolve conflicts peacefully. As the great-granddaughter of the late Marshal de Leon she is also a good archer and will give birth to strong sons.

Petros read over the announcement to find a match for the Emperor's grandson. He almost scoffed at the thought of the Crown Prince not finding a match for his son on his own. It was a shame Antonia died of illness shortly after her first birthday twenty years ago. She could have been a perfect match, and Petros would have been in a good position to see it done. Petros's heart ached for his deceased daughter, but he knew that he had to carry on for the sake of the Empire.

My Emperor, if you require the aid, I would be available to help judge the candidates for marriage to young Alfons. I have no candidates of my own to contribute, so I would have no conflict of interest in the decision.

(( Damn for the conversion :oops:. Oh well, better luck next time.
I don't think I need a focus. It should be siege, but as that isn't an option, I'd go with fire. After all, the army he served in consisted mostly of artillery in the end :rolleyes:.
Also, if you are marrying the second-in-line, could we marry into the imperial Palaiologoi line as well? With the Emperors dying quickly, this might be a good chance...))

myKh8vJ.png

For the Marshal's plan, I feel that it is time to recruit and form an army specialized in non-European wars. Seeing as this army will meet inferior opponents, I believe that a composition of 14 infantry regiments, 10 artillery regiments and 2 cavalry regiments shall suffice. This Exercit shall be stationed in East Africa for now, where it can deal with the rebellious population.
The Cortz also needs further reforms to make this assembly what it should always have been. A diet shall be called to discuss such plans.

General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Chamberlain of the Cortz and Marshal of Hispania

When Alejandro heard of the attempted conversion attempt he laughed. It was well known to the people of Pirineo that the Duke was a gentle soul, and wasn't one to persucute people, irregardless of faith. However, there was a catholic majority, who successfully petitioned to Alejandro that the province was to be kept as Catholic, if only in name. Looks like he would need to write a few letters, especially given recent developments at court.

Dearest Cousin, I must congratulate you on your recent appointment, it seems only a few short years ago when my Great Uncle, Juan II, appointed you as a co Chanceller to the realm. Furthermore my sincere gratitude over the appointment to Grandmaster, I promise not to fail you.
I wish you well in your new role, and may the stars shine favourably,
Duke Alejandro III de Soneta, Grandmaster to Hispania

Dearest Cousin, firstly pleasantries. Congratulations on your recent appointment to Marshal, I hope to see what such a man as yourself can achieve with such a position. Be sure to keep Maximilien safe, i hear he married my 3rd Cousin Belle, she says he is quite impressionable, for sure i can imagine given he has done so much already. But onto serious matters. Although i appricate your effort to try convert Pirineo into a Protestant county, as you had impressively done with the capital, but the peoples here are very diverse, and there is a catholic majority, so they feel it would be unfair to convert the province, for fear of lack of recognition.
I hope you understand,
Yours truly,
Duke Alejandro III Lorenzo Maria Philppe Andreas de Soneta, 4th Duke of Ipar Menedakakeo, 4th Count of Zaragoza, 7th Count of Pirineo

A matter of state intrigued Alejandro also, the Emperor was offering his second in line to be wed. And so Alejandro announced his intent to offer his daughters to the grandson.

The First was Andromeda Selene Amelia Marie de Soneta. She is a most beautiful lady, and has been taught by her mother in all manners how to best present herself at court. At home however she is often seen riding the horses, or going out to the mills to help and otherwise learn, about the production of wool into such fine garments. She has a practical mind, but is very loving.

Her twin sister, Caterina Marie Julieta de Soneta, was more of a quiet individual. She has seemingly inherited her fathers great appetite for reading, and thusly is fluid in many topics and many tongues, having a passion for classical works. As per befitting, given that they are twins, she shares her sisters elegent and pretty appearence, but she is of a paler appearence, probably through her reading indoors for long periods of time.

Another difference, and one of the easiest ways to tell the sisters apart was their hair and their eyes. Andromeda had her Father's dark, rich, hair but her mothers warm brown eyes, whereas Caterina had her mother's luscious brown locks, but her father's stunningly blue eyes, a sharp contrast against her fair skin. Despite Caterina's lack of much interaction outside the Castle grounds she, once familiar with an individual, is a chirpy and otherwise lively person to be around.

Last edited:
The years had been kind to Lúcia. After the grand ball of 1643, wherein she had at long last the opportunity to talk to José, a huge burden had fallen from her shoulders. She became closer to her husband Jerome again which, quite surprisingly, resulted in another son in 1645. Afonso de Maia was born in the same year as her first grandchild, Joana de Maia. An odd situation, but the countess had found peace of mind, and had spent much more time with her family as a result. Two more grandchildren followed, a son and another daughter, assuring the future of her dynasty.

The situation changed again in 1647, when a massive catholic uprise took place within Hispania. Even if she had personally managed to keep the Portuguese - mainly catholic - out of the conflict, she felt it as a failure that the Knights of Malta, Bari and Toledo had done so. As for Athens, she wondered why Petros had allowed things to happen. Or were matters out of his control and were the catholic priests in Athens extremists? Perhaps it was a sign of the times... Even in the capital, Protestantism was popular... Or was it this new cult, the one with the ugly painting? In any case, order needed to be restored. And even if a tolerant stance was taken towards other Christian faiths, a position had to be taken. Hispania could not allow to let itself be teared apart.

KqGVsNI.png

Your Imperial Majesty, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks,

With this letter, I would request upon you the organisation of an ecumenical council, as to reply our current instability. For centuries, Hispania has taken the role of leaders of Christianity. Your ancestors have united the Western and Eastern Church, leading to the tolerant society we now find ourselves in. Yet the people have questions. They feel a lack of religious leadership, an absence of answers, which leads to the formation of new cults.

Your Imperial Grace, I call upon you to unite the greatest theologians of our time, be it Protestant, Reformed or Catholic, or even this new cult, so Hispania may find an answer to the questions of the people. We need to decide on what is tolerable and what is not, we need to decide on what is heresy and what is considered a proper way of devotion to God. If a united reply can be found on the religious policy of Hispania, of how we would combine our traditional devotion to the Holy Church of Rome with our tolerance, we will be able to appease the people.

Your Imperial Grace, I am most aware that religion is not your favorite subject. Nor is it mine, I prefer to keep to my faith without lecturing others. Yet it is important to the people, and by law and tradition, you are the leader of the Hispanian Church, the Caesar of Rome. Your line is chosen by Divine Right to lead Christianity to glory. Do not let your people divide itself.

On a more personal note, I have taken knowledge that Alfons de Trastamara is still not married. May I propose my daughter Inês de Maia as a possible candidate? She is just three years younger than him, and has received a proper education, specializing in both Greek and Latin, as well as the Hispanian languages. She unites the de Soneta line with my own, inheriting the looks of her father and - if I may be so bold - my knack for organization.

May the Almighty protect you and through you, Hispania,

Lucia Fernanda Manuela de Maia
Condesa de Lisboa, Administrador and Treasurer of Hispania

KqGVsNI.png

Dear Friend,

May I congratulate you on your new position as Prime Minister? I am happy to work at your side for this long time, and I pray it may continue. My thanks for increasing my responsibilities, I feel honored my help and dedication to the realm is appreciated.

Your daughter Sophia is doing well. After two earlier children, she is now pregnant of a third. Actually, another newborn may come at any day now. After the birth of this child however, I will work to find an occupation for João. For far too long, he has taken life for granted. It is time he proved himself.

As for business, in attachment to this letter, you will find a copy of a letter I wrote to His Imperial Majesty. Our current crisis with the catholic church must be solved. Declaring our monarch as a ruler by divine right, might create the right balance between tolerance and religious devotion, needed for stability. I dare not ask you to support this initiative, but at least take knowledge of it. Perhaps you, as Prime Minister, might find other answers to our current crisis, which I would wholeheartedly support.

May the Almighty protect you,

KqGVsNI.png

To his Excellence Dietrich Vinzent Lübecker,
Grand Admiral of Hispania,

Greetings, your Excellency. My congratulations on the victory against the heathens of Ajuraan, I have been told it was a most glorious battle.

May I enquire if you are in need of other admirals? My son, João de Maia, has proven a most capable captain during trade shipping in and near Lisboa. It would please me most, should you promote him to the rank of admiral, so he can prove his skills to the entire realm of Hispania. Of course, this favour may be traded to another. Perhaps more and better shipyards somewhere might be considered?

I am looking forward to your reply,

(( To clarify: I believe this eucemenical council might provide the opportunity to install (or refuse) an absolute monarchy, and at the same time, find a clear position on how the tolerance idea group would mix with the religious idea group. ))

(( Damn for the conversion :oops:. Oh well, better luck next time.
I don't think I need a focus. It should be siege, but as that isn't an option, I'd go with fire. After all, the army he served in consisted mostly of artillery in the end :rolleyes:.
Also, if you are marrying the second-in-line, could we marry into the imperial Palaiologoi line as well? With the Emperors dying quickly, this might be a good chance...))

((Well I was going to say that the Palaiologos family is entirely on my family tree and I can start arranging matches if people want, but then I actually looked at the tree and realized that the emperor and his brother are the only Palaiologos that aren't already married or dead, and those that are having children are the women, so the only ones available are not actually Palaiologos. Let's just say that if the game kills off the last remaining true Palaiologos, there is going to be serious trouble. :D))

The years had been kind to Lúcia. After the grand ball of 1643, wherein she had at long last the opportunity to talk to José, a huge burden had fallen from her shoulders. She became closer to her husband Jerome again which, quite surprisingly, resulted in another son in 1645. Afonso de Maia was born in the same year as her first grandchild, Joana de Maia. An odd situation, but the countess had found peace of mind, and had spent much more time with her family as a result. Two more grandchildren followed, a son and another daughter, assuring the future of her dynasty.

The situation changed again in 1647, when a massive catholic uprise took place within Hispania. Even if she had personally managed to keep the Portuguese - mainly catholic - out of the conflict, she felt it as a failure that the Knights of Malta, Bari and Toledo had done so. As for Athens, she wondered why Petros had allowed things to happen. Or were matters out of his control and were the catholic priests in Athens extremists? Perhaps it was a sign of the times... Even in the capital, Protestantism was popular... Or was it this new cult, the one with the ugly painting? In any case, order needed to be restored. And even if a tolerant stance was taken towards other Christian faiths, a position had to be taken. Hispania could not allow to let itself be teared apart.

KqGVsNI.png

Your Imperial Majesty, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks,

With this letter, I would request upon you the organisation of an ecumenical council, as to reply our current instability. For centuries, Hispania has taken the role of leaders of Christianity. Your ancestors have united the Western and Eastern Church, leading to the tolerant society we now find ourselves in. Yet the people have questions. They feel a lack of religious leadership, an absence of answers, which leads to the formation of new cults.

Your Imperial Grace, I call upon you to unite the greatest theologians of our time, be it Protestant, Reformed or Catholic, or even this new cult, so Hispania may find an answer to the questions of the people. We need to decide on what is tolerable and what is not, we need to decide on what is heresy and what is considered a proper way of devotion to God. If a united reply can be found on the religious policy of Hispania, of how we would combine our traditional devotion to the Holy Church of Rome with our tolerance, we will be able to appease the people.

Your Imperial Grace, I am most aware that religion is not your favorite subject. Nor is it mine, I prefer to keep to my faith without lecturing others. Yet it is important to the people, and by law and tradition, you are the leader of the Hispanian Church, the Caesar of Rome. Your line is chosen by Divine Right to lead Christianity to glory. Do not let your people divide itself.

On a more personal note, I have taken knowledge that Alfons de Trastamara is still not married. May I propose my daughter Inês de Maia as a possible candidate? She is just three years younger than him, and has received a proper education, specializing in both Greek and Latin, as well as the Hispanian languages. She unites the de Soneta line with my own, inheriting the looks of her father and - if I may be so bold - my knack for organization.

May the Almighty protect you and through you, Hispania,

(( To clarify: I believe this eucemenical council might provide the opportunity to install (or refuse) an absolute monarchy, and at the same time, find a clear position on how the tolerance idea group would mix with the religious idea group. ))

JpsioAG.png

Ever since King Ferran IV decided to place himself above the pope, we have indeed found ourselves adrift in matters of faith. I will be frank; I do not think highly of the Catholic Church. They have proven time and time again that they do not truly have Hispania's best interests at heart, as shown by the recent rebellions. Even the Protestants and Reformed stir up dissent against the Catholic majority, attempting to sway people to their faith and in the process fermenting potential rebellion. Their conflict seems to be the source of this tension that in turn threatens the Crown. Your idea to bring men of these various faiths together to settle their disputes and determine their role in Hispania is most valid. Ferran IV attempted this before with unsavoury results, but those were different times, before we had embraced all Christians as equals. Perhaps it is time that this tolerance we have spouted for some time be discussed by the clergy, who still seem hesitant to accept it. It would also do well to reassess the role of faith and religion and its ties to the Crown. I will thus endorse this idea of yours and announce this council immediately.

- His Imperial Highness, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

JpsioAG.png

His Imperial Highness, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks wishes to announce that an ecumenical council shall be held at the capital to determine the fate of all Christian faiths in Hispania and their relations to the Crown. All members of court are encouraged to attend or those within the church hierarchies of the various faiths.

His Imperial Highness also wishes to announce the union between his grandaughter Marta de Trastámara and Crown Prince Louis de Valois of France.

((Guess this will be our next event. As suggested by Raboude, the purpose of this meeting will be to determine the role of the various faiths in Hispania, mainly to coincide with our religious and humanist ideas. We shall also be discussing the relationship between religion and the Crown, which can be used as an avenue to discuss an absolute monarchy. It will probably resemble the one done shortly after the Reformation, but hopefully more civil now that all those faiths are equal. Also, while you of course can attend with your own character, I will allow everyone to make up temporary clergy characters of any Christian faith for this event if they want.))

The Prime Minister was heard praising the Steward's suggestion to host a Council. He was reported saying that the county needed to be reformed under new ideals since the old, moralistic views have given way to religious pluralism. He suggested that the Archbishop of Athens, a good friend of his, attend the Council to support these views.

Name: Ionnes Makos
Position: Archbishop of Athens
Bio: Ionnes was vested in the Catholic Church shortly after coming of age. Starting as a priest, he always took the controversial opinion that the Protestant and Calvinist churches were not to be considered enemies or even misguided, but to be respected. He considered the Muslim and other people who rejected Christ to be the true threat. After Petros, another pluralist, became the Count of Athens, Ionnes's Church Career soared. Shortly after being made the Archbishop, the majority moralistic clergy incited revolt among the citizens in protest against the policies of Hispania in general and Petros in particular. Speaking ill of both the Count and the Emperor saw the leaders of the moralistic faction imprisoned and replaced by less radical men. Distributed by the harsh treatment of the rebels by the army, Ionnes spent much the next few years attempting to aid them. Now a Council has been convened in Valencia, and Archbishop Ionnes hopes to reconcile the different faiths, achieve unity, and denounce the evils of moralism in all faiths.

Cardinal Martí de Trastámara entered the grand hall being used for the ecumenical council. A few minor clergy had already arrived and were quietly chatting with one another. It was quite obvious though that clear divisions had formed, with the Catholics gathering on one side, Protestants another, and so on. Despite the state of tolerance that had existed for quite some time, the general distrust of each other had never left. Martí was certain that if the Crown had not intervened on several occasions to force cooperation, the conflict that had overtaken most of Europe would have surely spilled into Hispania on a much larger scale.

The cardinal was not familiar with most of his fellow Catholics here, for many served churches all over Hispania. Martí had spent much of his time of late in Rome, serving as an intermediary between the emperor and the pope. It had not been an envious position, for Emperor Francesc wanted little to do with the Church and the pope had not been pleased when Martí had told him that the majority of his flock in Valencia had started following a heretic faith. This was his chance to redeem himself. If he could help solve the growing rift between Church and Crown, while simultaneously removing the deep-rooted hostility that lingered between the various Christian faiths, that would surely improve his position both in Hispania and Rome.

Martí crossed the room and took a seat on the raised dais where the emperor would be seated, once he arrived. As the representative of His Holiness at this council, he had been given a crucial position regarding these proceedings. A solution had to be found, otherwise Hispania would continue to flounder in purgatory.

Clearing his throat to draw the attention of the others in the room, Cardinal Martí de Trastámara said, "Shall we begin?"

"But the emperor has yet to arrive?" one priest pointed out.

"He will be with us shortly, and indeed there are still clergy who have yet to arrive," the cardinal said. "Still, we may as well begin the discussion to get things going. We can help flesh out the issues to be discussed for when the others arrive."

The others nodded in agreement and took their seats. Thus the gathered group started the preliminary discussion of issues to be put before the council.

((Obviously it might take some time for everyone to get involved, so I'm just starting things off with a discussion of issues and how to proceed. Feel free to chip in at any time. You don't have to write a bio for your clergy if you're using one; just give him a name, faith, and position in his church hierarchy and that will do.))

The Archbishop of Athens rose from his seat. He chose to address the room first. While he was not a Cardinal, he was one of the leading candidates. And as one of the more prominent leaders of the Catholic Church in Hispania, Ionnes knew that he would be required to be part of the discussion.

It is good to see that the Catholics, Protestants, Calvinists, and the followers of this new group, Lucrezians I believe, can assemble in one place. Perhaps we can achieve a better result than the last council. My position is simple, all those who accept that Jesus was the Messiah sent to redeem mankind for its sins and consider themselves Christians are to be tolerated and not harmed by anyone. We have greater foes to face than another. Let us accept another as we are and focus on outside threats, like the Mamluks.