• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While communications entered and left the chancellery, Lùcia grew restless. The Duke de Montségur was putting no small amount of pressure on her and her collegues. Looking at his recent promotion, he also had the backing of Pope Francis I. Even if Petros had said so before, this was the first public sign. And a clear warning for her. She adressed @Mach Twelve and @Robban204 .

"Your Excellencies, I have received the reply of the Duke de Montségur. He will not back the proposal. Furthermore, Pope Francis I has named him Viceroy of Cusco, effectively blocking any plan of this sort. We should therefore put the matter to rest. Quito however, would still be a nice addition to our colonies, even if we wouldn't trade those territories with the Cusco tribe. Given these circumstances, I have edited our plans for His Imperial Majesty. Would I have your support for this change?"

[[
- Use 3 diplomats to improve relations with subjects and allies, when it maxes out, recall diplomat and send to next country, country order is up to the Emperor
- Do not declare war due to low manpower, wait until reserves are at least 80% max (10-12 years)
- Exception: Declare war on Quito, but take no military action ourselves and have the colonies occupy the territory. Full annexation.
- Do not concede to any rebel demands, kill all rebels, reoccupy all provinces
- Use peace to improve/gain tech/ideas/gold/colonies/monarch points
-Increase Trust with Austria whenever we reach 20 Favours (keep 10 in case of offensive war).
-Declare Firenze as a province of vital interest.
- Long Term Goal: Eventual war for provinces in Genoa Trade Node against Tuscany and Savoy (if threatening to give them to us does not work), to increase power in Trade Node for more income. Make claims as needed. Declare on Tuscany due to it being the softer target. Seizing Trade Bonus Provinces priority.
]]

KqGVsNI.png

To His Grace Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Viceroy of Cusco,

With this letter I would express my sincere apologies. These are affairs I clearly did not know, even if I did my best to check my research before including anything in the proposed plans of the chancellery. I have withdrawn my proposed plan for Cusco and hope there will be no more tension between us.

Please accept my congratulations to your appointment as Viceroy of Cusco, by hands of His Holiness Francis I. I am sure your expertise will prove to be an invaluable asset to the cause of Hispania.

While we are unfortunate of not having news about your father's murderer, I remain convinced we will find him soon.

May God Almighty watch your step,
Lúcia Fernanda Manuela de Maia, Condesa de Lisboa

Last edited:
While communications entered and left the chancellery, Lùcia grew restless. The Duke de Montségur was putting no small amount of pressure on her and her collegues. Looking at his recent promotion, he also had the backing of Pope Francis I. Even if Petros had said so before, this was the first public sign. And a clear warning for her. She adressed @Mach Twelve and @Robban204 .

"Your Excellencies, I have received the reply of the Duke de Montségur. He will not back the proposal. Furthermore, Pope Francis I has named him Viceroy of Cusco, effectively blocking any plan of this sort. We should therefore put the matter to rest. Quito however, would still be a nice addition to our colonies, even if we wouldn't trade those territories with the Cusco tribe. Given these circumstances, I have edited our plans for His Imperial Majesty. Would I have your support for this change?"

[[
- Use 3 diplomats to improve relations with subjects and allies, when it maxes out, recall diplomat and send to next country, country order is up to the Emperor
- Do not declare war due to low manpower, wait until reserves are at least 80% max (10-12 years)
- Exception: Declare war on Quito, but take no military action ourselves and have the colonies occupy the territory. Full annexation.
-Increase Trust with Austria whenever we reach 20 Favours (keep 10 in case of offensive war).
- Long Term Goal: Eventual war for provinces in Genoa Trade Node against Tuscany and Savoy (if threatening to give them to us does not work), to increase power in Trade Node for more income. Make claims as needed. Declare on Tuscany due to it being the softer target. Seizing Trade Bonus Provinces priority.
]]

Petros reviewed the new information and the revised plan. How similar it was to his original proposal. He decided to support his fellow Co-Chancellor

I agree with these modifications to our current plan. Let us wait and see if the winds blow another way in the future.

[[
]]

Felipé got a new letter, with a revised plan regarding Cusco. Well, a few gold mines here and there is no matter, I am sure we will aquire more gold elsewhere. He thought for himself.
He quickly wrote together a response to support his fellow Co-Chancellors.

((Time to start the vote. We have quite a lot to vote on. alscon put forth several proposals we must all consider, as well as one proposed by the emperor. We also get to vote on whether or not to grant all the Christian faiths equal status. This means they would be equal to the state religion in all but name, and also means we can no longer use missionaries on provinces of those faiths. As for the Cortz, only two people expressed interest at joining to me, so both alscon and Dadarian get to join the Cortz. The three members of the Cortz may now select a Chamberlain. Anyway, here is the vote:

The Reglementation of Duels Act: Yes/No/Abstain
The Respect of Authority Act: Yes/No/Abstain
The Act of Generalship of 1630: Yes/No/Abstain
Equal Status Reform: Yes/No/Abstain
The Declaration for the Pacification of the Catalan People: Yes/No/Abstain

Everyone will have until Wednesday at 9PM PST to vote. Please include your character's name and class with your vote.))

At the age of 72 Lorenzo Volturno sailed from Byzantium to his county of Abruzzi. He felt old and tired and desired to spend the last months of his life with his family. In January 1632 Lorenzo Volturno died aged 73.

Name: Erodio Volturno, Count of Abruzzi
Date of birth: 7th July 1587 (He is 55 when he gets on the throne of Abruzzi)
Class: Landed Noble (count)
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Lorenzo Volturno had two sons: Erodio and Teofilo. Erodio inherited the county of Abruzzi at the age of 55 after his father died in 1632. Lorenzo was an explorer so Erodio had not seen him much throughout his childhood and his teens. Erodio was considered an erudite, he compensated his lack of personal fighting skills with his knowledge. He spoke three languages and was an expert in history and martial theory. The new count of Abruzzi is a tolerant and pragmatic person, he is more interested in science and knowledge than religion.

I hereby offer your son Clément Thomas my daughter Luna's ((*1620)) hand. May their betrothal bring prosperity to both our families.
There is one issue we have to solve though concerning this union... Luna is my only daughter, I have no sons. Since I don't plan to let the county of Abruzzi slip from my family's grasp I have two solutions to offer:
- We could join our families, one branch will rule Abruzzi, the other Trinacria as the "de Montségur y Volturno" dinasty
- Or I could pass on the title to my nephew Tullio, the problem being that it would go against the succession laws my father set.

Erodio Volturno, count of Abruzzi

The Reglementation of Duels Act: Abstain
The Respect of Authority Act: Abstain
The Act of Generalship of 1630: Abstain
Equal Status Reform: Yes/
The Declaration for the Pacification of the Catalan People: No

[landed noble (count)]

Reactions:
Last edited:
((Private))

Francesc de Trastámara stretched his muscles, trying to overcome the aches and pains that came with age. He was in his 50s now, yet the emperor had reached 70 and showed no signs of dying just yet. The crown had been dangled in front of him with the change of succession, but he had to wait for it to be his. If only Pere would hurry up and die already. Of course Francesc would never do anything to speed up that process, for he wasn't stupid enough to commit treason, but as he got older he worried that he would die before the emperor.

While stewing over that issue, Francesc's wife entered the room, her usual mischievous grin on her face. Francesca was always coming up with some scheme to further their station. Francesc gave her an inquisitive look, knowing full well she was about to tell him of yet another plan for their future.

"I have just received word back from Constantinople," Francesca said.

Francesc raised an eyebrow. What business did his wife have in that faraway city? The only connection he could think of was his wife's sister, but she had never been on good terms with Clara. "Planning a family reunion?"

Francesca let out a huff of air. "I have no desire to see my sister, and it is fortunate that her power at Greek court has diminished with her son's death. No, I was corresponding with the new emperor, Konstantinos. He has accepted a marriage proposal to our daughter Sofia."

Francesc, just about to take a sip of tea, nearly dropped his cup. "Why was I not informed of this proposal?"

A smirk played across Francesca's face. "I thought it best not to bother you with such matters. Besides, our daughter is now an empress. Rejoice at this news."

Despite his skepticism, Francesc embraced his wife and tried to share her merriment. It was indeed good news, for it surely strengthened his position to have his daughter married to the Greek emperor. What bothered him was that his wife had gone ahead with it without telling him. As their father, it was his final say who his children married. This had not been the first time that his wife had gone over his head in such matters. Perhaps soon he would have to teach Francesca her place.

The Reglementation of Duels Act: Yes
I do not see any problems with that. That's why I will support it, there is no need to spill blood without a good reason, so let's deny the oportunities for that to happen between so called 'commoners' and nobles.
The Respect of Authority Act: No
This is a simple attempt to make life harder for the comman man of Hispania. Any sane of mind will know that nobles need to be treated with respect, and if a noble can't stand an isult here or there he needs to learn a bit about humility and show the other cheek as our Lord Jesus Christ has taught us.
The Act of Generalship of 1630: No
The Duke speaks that it's nobles duty to lead the troops... Of course it is, but this should not be denied to the regular man. Who else will understand a soldier then someone who filled the same role. I believe that generalship should be granted besed on skill, not only because someone is noble. With that act men like my uncle Matthias or Marshal Hashem would never be able to serve, and I believe that they have proved that a commoner is just as able to lead troops into battle as a noble, that is why I think it's unwise to deny man of low origin the possibility to lead soldiers. After all they might be even more skilled than a noble!
Equal Status Reform: Yes
By all means! All men were created equal, that is why it's crucial that we see them that way!
The Declaration for the Pacification of the Catalan People: Yes
The Catalan people have betrayed our trust, we allowed them to live peacefully and they rebelled against us! We must spread our own culture, teach it to those who are so closly related to us, to avoid things like this happening ever again.

Jean Gérard de Saint-Pierre,
Grandmaster of Hispania, current head of the Saint-Pierre family and head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company

[courtier, Grandmaster, NPC merchant]

The Reglementation of Duels Act: Abstain
While this law makes sense, It does allow nobles to challenge "commoners" to a duel without purpose, so I shall not vote on this.

The Respect of Authority Act: No
If we were to persecute our citizens if they insulted one another, we would be the laughing stock of Europe, a kindergarten.

The Act of Generalship of 1630: No
How many of the generals in the Battle of the Five Generals were commoners? If we were to restrict generalship to nobility alone, we would have few generals, and those few would not be selected based on merit. It would be possible to have a fool command our armies into battle.

Equal Status Reform: Yes
We mustn't haphazardly dabble in the affairs of Heaven. If people worship God in a different manner, who are we to stop them?

The Declaration for the Pacification of the Catalan People: Abstain
While I see the merits of this act, I fear it would be accompanied by needless bloodshed, and it is unclear which is the peaceful path.

((Almudena Hashem, courtier, viceroy, Order of the Light, general))

The Reglementation of Duels Act: NO
The Respect of Authority Act: NO
The Act of Generalship of 1630 NO

While the murder of my predecessor was a horrid act that will be met with retribution against its perpetrator, I cannot support what I see as a unjust punishment to those that did nothing wrong.

Equal Status Reform: YES - Let us accept those that practice other faiths, as long as they serve the Lord.

The Declaration for the Pacification of the Catalan People: YES - Let these traitors and fools feel the wrath of a betrayed nation. It is nothing less than those ingrates deserve for attempting to undermine the Crusade against the Mamluk.

(Petros Mandromenos - Courtier, Byzantine Foreigner, Co-Chancellor)

myKh8vJ.png

These acts are all necessary to return the nobility to its rightful place. Of course I wouldn't want to forbid a commoner to speak ill of a noble in the inn after his fourth beer. This act aims to stop anyone from behaving in disrespect towards men who carry some authority, be it a soldier or magistrate in service of said noble or the noble himself. For what else would this disrespect prove than a rebellious feeling? And how is it mad to defend the nobility's ancestral rights, Lübecker? This is exactly the kind of sentiment that needs to end!
Generalship has to be restricted. While I wouldn't deny the abilities of the generals of our past and Hashem, these are men that have gained their experience in leadership in the army before becoming generals. Such as our previous leaders, and as myself. Only after they had proven themselves, they had the permission to lead troops. This law wouldn't change that practice. Only reserve the generalship to the nobility. A proven commoner might command under the general. If he is proven enough, he deserves to be raised to nobility and may become a general. But if we put commoners into charge of the army, there might be a situation when the rebellious people rises up backed by the military leaders against the order of society. This cannot happen! To clarify, I will propose the following amendment, one that I thought was in no need to be explicitly stated:
Any candidate for generalship needs to have some years of experience in the army before his request can be considered.
The Cortz needs a Chamberlain who defends the rights of the nobility, as is the task of this august assembly. As I am willing to do exactly this, I am presenting myself for that honour.

We are treating religions equally already. It seems so for me, who is not a Catholic. Then we must make it official. To each Christian his own beliefs. And the Catalans - they deserve to suffer the consequences of their rioting in whatever form.

General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Representative of the nobility in the Cortz and Viceroy of Cusco
((The Reglementation of Duels Act: Yes
The Respect of Authority Act: Yes
The Act of Generalship of 1630: Yes

[Duke, General, Cortz, Viceroy, funded colony]))

Count Volturno,

my sincerest condolences for the death of your father. Few men have seen more of the world.
I will gladly accept this betrothal I had already spoken of with your father in order to bind our dynasties close together. As for the problem of your inheritance, I am willing to follow your first idea, but not entirely. There would be no reason to combine our houses in Trinacria. Abruzzi might be governed by the house of 'de Montségur y Volturno', I have no qualms about that. ((Should you accept, you have control of any offspring - I'd guess they would have at least a French and an Italian name.))

I wish you a bright future,
Louis François de Montségur

Reactions:
myKh8vJ.png

These acts are all necessary to return the nobility to its rightful place. Of course I wouldn't want to forbid a commoner to speak ill of a noble in the inn after his fourth beer. This act aims to stop anyone from behaving in disrespect towards men who carry some authority, be it a soldier or magistrate in service of said noble or the noble himself. For what else would this disrespect prove than a rebellious feeling? And how is it mad to defend the nobility's ancestral rights, Lübecker? This is exactly the kind of sentiment that needs to end!
Generalship has to be restricted. While I wouldn't deny the abilities of the generals of our past and Hashem, these are men that have gained their experience in leadership in the army before becoming generals. Such as our previous leaders, and as myself. Only after they had proven themselves, they had the permission to lead troops. This law wouldn't change that practice. Only reserve the generalship to the nobility. A proven commoner might command under the general. If he is proven enough, he deserves to be raised to nobility and may become a general. But if we put commoners into charge of the army, there might be a situation when the rebellious people rises up backed by the military leaders against the order of society. This cannot happen! To clarify, I will propose the following amendment, one that I thought was in no need to be explicitly stated:

The Cortz needs a Chamberlain who defends the rights of the nobility, as is the task of this august assembly. As I am willing to do exactly this, I am presenting myself for that honour.

We are treating religions equally already. It seems so for me, who is not a Catholic. Then we must make it official. To each Christian his own beliefs. And the Catalans - they deserve to suffer the consequences of their rioting in whatever form.

General Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria, Representative of the nobility in the Cortz and Viceroy of Cusco
((The Reglementation of Duels Act: Yes
The Respect of Authority Act: Yes
The Act of Generalship of 1630: Yes

[Duke, General, Cortz, Viceroy, funded colony]))

Count Volturno,

my sincerest condolences for the death of your father. Few men have seen more of the world.
I will gladly accept this betrothal I had already spoken of with your father in order to bind our dynasties close together. As for the problem of your inheritance, I am willing to follow your first idea, but not entirely. There would be no reason to combine our houses in Trinacria. Abruzzi might be governed by the house of 'de Montségur y Volturno', I have no qualms about that. ((Should you accept, you have control of any offspring - I'd guess they would have at least a French and an Italian name.))

I wish you a bright future,
Louis François de Montségur
I did not deem it madness to defend nobility's ancestral rights, only to restrict the rights of the common man, who has nothing against you. Deeming all commoners the same (especially defining all of them like Fulminate) only lowers your credibility more.

((Because someone *cough* is being lazy an doesn't update this post I have decided to re-post it, to keep it updated and be able to manage it on my own. I ask that anyone who is in the company, and is active in any way to let me know if they are a member, this is also a good way to jump into the company. Either post here, send me a PM or let me know on the IRC ))

The Trans-Atlantic Trade Company
A merger between the 2 major companies in Aragon, the ATC and the TPTC.

How it will function:
- Head of the comapny will always belong to Saint-Pierre family.
- Each member can be granted a higher "rank" in the company
- Higher "rank" members are given priority on joining the council
- All the decisions are made by company's council
- The head of the council wields the real power in the company
- He is elected after each updated
- Each councillor has 1 Council Voting Point (CVP), and the head holds 2 CVP
- Council consists of 12 members
-There is always a member of the de Almeria family in the council
- Each member of the company is free to propose reforms
- If someone wishes to have a chance at becoming the head of the council they need to let me (@05060403) that they wish to take part in the election.

Members:

Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre ((
@05060403 ))

Current council members:
A crown representative (( Emperor's voice in the matters of the company ))
Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre ((
@05060403 ))

(10/12 left)

Monopolies:

All Aragonese trade in France and French trade in Aragon
All Hispanian trade in the continent of Africa
All Hispanian trade in the region of Arabia

Profit Distribution:

Crown: 40%
Council Members: 20%
Executive of the company: 20%
Company Reserve: 5%
Divided between affilated merchants and ships: 15%

Important council positions:

Admiral of the Merchant Fleet: NPC
Commander of the mercenary force: NPC
TATC treasurer: NPC
Head of the council: NPC

Reforms:
1. The owner of the TATC shall have the power to veto a leader of the council, after which the candidate with the second most votes shall become leader of the council.
2. The leader of the council shall have one extra voting power in the council.
3. Everyone in the 'de Almeria' or 'de Saint-Pierre' family shall have one extra voting power in the council.
4. 4 extra positions shall be added: Administrator of Western Africa, leader of the merchant fleet, leader of the mercenaries and administrator of the TATC treasury.

Last edited:
Pope Francis, after much deliberation, and otherwise time given the amount of papers he had, calling for religious reform throughout the known world, finally voted in the elections called by his former ruler, from which he hoped his stance could be recognised by all others, and hopefully reduce the amount of work that was already piling up

Voting of Pope Francis I of the Papal State, in the 1630 Hispanian Vote

-The Reglementation of Duels Act of 1630: Yes, to insure a degree of stability, and to preserve the rights of the individuals of the nation of Hispania. the Nobles, least for now, should keep to themselves, likewise to the peasantry. If a an individual has a qualm with another of a different class, this matter should be directed towards a more senior authority than either of them, so as to insure a degree of confidence in the order of the land, not trying resolve petty feuds with baseless and unclothe duels.

-The Respect of Authority Act: No, this Act clearly ignores the supreme authority of the Lord and that of the Monarch, as such all matters should be brought to the presiding monarch of the realm, to settle such petty squabbles as these.

-The Act of Generalship of 1630: Yes, so long as it is clear that a man or woman whom has served the army most well and is of the common folk, is recognised for his or, in rare circumstance, her valiantry and skill with both the Status of general in the Army, as well as a title of a sort, be it landed or unlanded.

-Equal Status reform: Yes, Too long have my predecessors persecuted those that follow a different faith to that of theirs, this is vile and wrong. The noble King of Aragon, I believe at the time, was truly successful at binding the schism that had previously ravaged and separated both orthodoxy and catholicism. Allow this to continue, in this new era of a homogenous enlightenment, so that we stand together strong and united, not returning to the baseless and savage ways of the dark ages. Our Lord Saviour Jesus Christ was persecuted by the base and pagan Romans of the West of old for his faith, we should not follow this unwise path, and instead attain a peaceful and united society, irregardless of religious creed.

Declaration for the Pacification of the Catalan Peoples: Abstain, Although it would be wise to remind the peoples of Catalonia where their loyalities lie, I fear this will cause more bloodshed, a matter which is unwise with our low manpower. Allow me to try speak to these people, and let us see what they feel after this. I hope we may all come to a peaceful conclusion, and not one of a internal war.

Summary
Reglmentation of Duels: Yes
Respect of Authority: No
Act of Generalship: Yes
Equal Status: Yes
Pacification: Abstain

Pope Francis I of the Papal State, natus Juan de Soneta, Prime Minister and Court Chaplin of the Hispanian Empire

Last edited: