• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
JpsioAG.png

After much consideration, I believe it is time for more men of great accomplishment to join the ranks of the Royal Order of Light.

For their bravery and valour in the face of adversity, I grant both Almudena Hashem and Matthias de Saint-Pierre a position in the Order. The Battle of the Five Generals shall be remembered for ages, a symbol of Hispanian strength and the dedication of our generals. Of course Hernando Francisco de Leon and Niccolo Limmona are already part of the Order, but they should receive equal recognition for their roles as well.

For his dedicated service to both the Crown and Church, serving as a valued voice for Hispania within the Holy See and as our first prime minister, I grant Cardinal Juan II Francesco Michael de Soneta a position within the Order. May he continue to serve the empire loyally in years to come.

For his dedication to his position as explorer, for the unparalleled bravery needed to explore the unknown despite the unfavourable odds, and for the prestige and recognition he brought to Hispania from his accomplishments, I grant Robert Johann Lübecker a position within the Order.

You have all served the Crown faithfully and deserve this recognition for your actions. May your names be forever remembered in the annals of history.

- His Imperial Highness, Pere V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

((Private))

Emperor Pere entered Valencia’s cathedral, his mind filled with doubts and worries. He was constantly fidgeting and the bags under his eyes spoke to several nights without sleep. He needed to speak with someone, anyone, about his troubles. So many things were at stake here.

As the emperor walked through the cathedral, he kept his head down, covering his head with the hood of his cloak. It was best that no one knew he was here. Ever since he had received that fateful letter, he had felt that someone was watching him. If whoever sent the letter found out that he had discussed it with someone else, or even suspected he did, he’d put those he loved at risk. Then again, if he didn’t speak to someone about his troubles, the empire would be the one at risk. Trying his best to collect his thoughts, Pere made his way to the confession booth and sat within it.

Juan was deep in prayer, listening none the less to the angelic voices of the sisters singing praises unto the saints, when the door to the booth opened. Sometimes the Confession booths seemed to offer a centre of solitude and serenity in comparison to the grandeur that the rest of the cathedral presented. Juan rose to his feet, and placed himself gently onto the hard wooden bench, being 73 was taking its toll on the ever active Cardinal. But he recited the old words “For what do you come to confess my child?”

“Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned,” Pere said, having to lick his lips, for they were so dry.

The voice of the Emperor resonated through the hard wood, and into Juan’s mind dramatically, shocking the old man for a time, but he managed to gather himself and, in an effort to keep his Emperor calm, keep his voice as flat as possible. “What do you wish to proclaim, my son?”

Pere took a moment to collect his thoughts and brace himself for what he had to say. The voice coming through the other side of the confessional seemed familiar, but he could not place it. He supposed he had spoken to most of the priests in Valencia’s cathedral, so it was not too odd to have one take his confession. “I fear that I erred in my youth, letting my heart guide me when I should have listened to my head. I loved someone, a woman now lost to me, and I let that love blossom even as I was married to another.”

Juan recognized this situation, it had occurred many a time with him in the confessional, it was surprising, given the Emperor’s staunch Catholic nature, that he had fallen to temptation, but it was not out the question, with a knowing smile Juan replied with “And did anything become of this young love, my son?”

Pere licked his lips again. He felt that all the moisture in his body was sweating out of him, so nervous was he. He had never spoken of his affair to anyone, even in confession. He had hidden that burden for too long, but the consequences were finally coming to light. “My relationship with my wife was cold and distant, for there had been no love between us. We did not produce a child. Yet in desperation I sought out another and that union was more fruitful.”

Juan was unsurprised, but he played it cool, “Perhaps it could be wise to ask the Cardinal to petition to His Holiness to legitimize the children, if not I am not a man of intrigue, so I lack much knowledge of what could be done outside of this.” Juan concluded, trying to save his identity from being noticed.

“I fear that legitimization may not be the best choice,” Pere said after much thought. “My children have not been groomed for succession nor have been at court, and as they near their 40s it seems they would be inexperienced to take my place. It could be damaging for the em--my small barony if someone inexperienced was placed in charge.” Pere cursed silently, his slip nearly revealing himself to the priest. It was best not to let on his true identity.

“Then I can not see what you could do, Law isn’t a speciality of mine, I am afraid to tell. Is there anything further that you wish to confess, my son?” Juan closed cordially, almost laughing at Pere’s failing attempts to try hide his true identity.

There was so much more Pere needed to discuss, but to even bring it up would put this man’s life at risk. Could he potentially condemn a man to death if the truth was discovered? He had taken the first step by coming here, perhaps he had to take a chance. “Father, can you promise me that whatever is said here will not be spoken elsewhere? I know confession is sacred, but what I must say cannot be allowed outside confession.”

Juan knew the sacred laws of the Church and he would be sure to keep his lips sealed, even if Emperor Pere had not said this “Of course my son, what is it that you have to say?”

“My children have always been my deepest secret,” Pere said. “They have been kept away from court, living comfortably in a place no one would find them. Yet recent events have revealed to me that their existence is not as secret as I thought. They have… disappeared.” Pere was unsure whether to continue. Should he reveal the extent of the plot against him? No, he had to be subtle. Too much was at stake. He remained silent for now.

Juan was shocked, the King had hidden these children, and yet they had disappeared, it was as the Lord was punishing his most devoted servant, torturing his soul, with a quick prayer for the protection,Juan continued “I see, do you have any idea, my son where they could have gone, if it is true that you had them hidden, it is most surprising that they have gone from your eye. I wish you much luck in finding them, but why mention this, I fail to see why this could be a matter of sin, my child”

“Their disappearance was not a coincidence,” Pere said, knowing that there was no turning back now. “I have been forced to take actions I find disagreeable to ensure their safety.”

“And I presume these are less than desirable, but pray tell what have you done?” said Juan with a noticeable tremor in his voice, the first display of emotion that he had let out in the entire encounter.

“Because of my past weakness of the flesh, I have taken actions against someone I hold dear. I have pushed the--my barony along a new path I do not know is the correct one. Perhaps my worries are unfounded and the changes I have set in motion will have little lasting effect, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth to know that it was not a choice made entirely of my own free will.”

Juan was surprised, Pere had developed far further than he had imagined when he first heard of the child “I see, why do you bring this up as as yet you have not displeased your Lord, is there a matter that you feel that would displease him or His Holiness?”

“I took a solemn oath to serve the realm--my barony. I feel that by letting another sway my actions, I am doing a disservice to my subjects, that I betray that very oath I took. Should I allow a past transgression to determine my path today? Either way, I fear that someone will be harmed.”

Juan was sorrowful, he so wanted to reach through the wood and offer a hug to the Emperor, as he had done many a time to his brother’s children and grandchildren, but he could not. “I am sure that your people would follow your decision wherever you lead them, and perhaps I can see if the Cardinal would be willing to accept and formalise these changes to your territory, should you so desire?”

Pere tried not to sink into despair. Everything still seemed so hopeless. If he went ahead with things, he’d be giving in to someone else’s demands, but who knew if the implications would be bad or not in the long run. Maybe he was letting his emotions get the better of him. His heart told him to go one way, to stick with what he had originally intended, even if would cause problems in the short term. Maybe someone was forcing his hand because they believed this was what was best for the empire. It made sense in some regards. Yet he still could not deny that whoever was responsible for that letter was trying to force this solution through unsavoury means. That did not sit well with him. Could he put his own children in harm’s way to do what he felt was right? Clearing his throat, Pere asked, “Father, do you believe that God would prefer a man to follow his heart or his mind, to go with what he feels is right or what is logically the best choice?”

Juan was most pressured, it was hard for him to make a reasoned argument here, given his lack of experience with children, but none the less he tried to give a response. “Normally in situations I advise going with logic, but I fear in this scenario logic would betray love, and that is something that I can not reason to. So I say, albeit with difficulty my son, that you should follow your heart this time, for it is most clear from the fact that you have come to see me, that you care much for these children of yours, and would be instantly weighed with regret if you felt that you could have done something for them, and yet decided not to.”

“I fear that to truly follow my heart will see my children harmed,” Pere said. “I do care for them deeply, but I also care for my subjects. My heart is pulling me two ways. Part of me feels that my original path would be best for my subjects, but another part knows the other would be best for my children. Perhaps I am even mistaken and to go the logical route will be best for both. I simply do not know anymore, Father.”

“Did your father ever teach you Latin when you were younger, my son?” Juan asked, seemingly out the blue.

Pere was unsure what this had to do with his problems. “I was taught Latin many years ago, but my grasp of the language is long gone.”

“Allow me to recite a verse that I found in a tome a long time ago, I feel it offers some light here. Dies Irae, die illa. Solvet saeclum in favilla, quando judex est venturus, confutatis maledictus, flammis acribus addictis, voca me cum bendictis, confutatis maledictis, gere curam mei finis.The verse describes that on the day of wrath, which will consume the world in ashes, in this case your world being destroyed by the instability created by the lack of your sons, will the damned be cast down to Hell by the Judge, and that you must seek guidance to the Lord as to what to do. I recommend you find what you want in your heart and to feel that you can rise above the flames of the old world, and be reborn into a world of peace and of stability, my son.”

Pere mulled over that for a moment. He had several choices set before him. He could let events unfold and see how they progressed. Through inaction he could see if the path set before was not as inhospitable as he first thought. He could also attempt to turn things back, to go against the threats within that letter, but the inherent risks made that a troublesome option, one that required much more thought. The third path was one he had not considered before. If he legitimized his two children, the whole dilemma of succession could well be made moot, for he would have a male heir. But history had shown that bastards were rarely good for a country, even when legitimized. Of course he’d need to find them first for that anyway. Either way, he needed to make a decision soon.

After taking in a deep breath, Pere said, “Thank you, Father. You have given me much to think about.”

Juan smiled softly, he was glad to have stalled the strain that was previously so evident in Pere’s voice. “You are welcome, my Emperor, I hope that we may never meet again in this environment, and that I can serve you for as long as my body can cope. May God bless thee child, and may you become the ruler our realm deserves. Know that I shall rally behind any decision you make, as you are the one true Sovereign of this noble realm.”

At the mention of his title, Pere tensed, realizing he had been discovered. It was time to take his leave. Pulling his hood back over his head, Pere hurried out of the cathedral. He had much to think on. The fate of the empire was at stake.

((A big thanks to @ML8991 for co-writing this massive wall of IC with me. Takes a lot of effort building up this drama. ;)))

Reactions:
Hawaii - July 31, 1613

"And thus another landmass appears before me. An archipelago, sure, but it was better than nothing.

Leaving Nueva Granada for nearly two months left quite a bit of nostalgia... and here I am, on solid land again! Well, have I been here before?

Exploring further, there was naught but a single stone tablet amidst the volcanoes and the coast. I decided to grab it, but I dropped it immediately.

'F.X.L.' My uncle's initials. He's been here as well.

But then again, he was most likely dead."

The "Philippines", November 13, 1613

"Once more, nostalgia fades. I'm at another landmass. Cebu Island, in the Philippines. The 'rajah' here was relatively friendly towards us; he even asked us to conquer a local tribe for him.

However, the ensuing battle was gruesome. An ar-- <blood stain> --ive that and the entire battle on its own. I ma-- <blood stain> --its way.

Note to self: Do not wr-- <blood stain> --jured."
--row even sprouted from my own arm, but I was lucky enough to surv--

--naged to make it back to the ship (with those that survived) and sent it on --

--ite while in--

South China Sea, February 26, 1614

"A cannon rang through the air. Thinking we were under fire (likely by the Viets or the Malays), I hurried to the deck to see what in the name of Tidore was going on. All I saw was open sea, a dot on the horizon at 30 degrees west of north. As it got closer, I saw that it was flying the Senyera*, amongst a lot of other things.

Lusari had still not finished exploring the coast of Southeast Asia.

The cannons rang louder. The dot became a sail, then three masts with sails, then a whole boat. And it was moving straight towards us. ..."

((I'll let you take over from here, @Mau da Cic . :)))

Reactions:
Lusari was staring down at a map in the cabin of his ship, tracing the coastline and and the winds of southern Chinaon a piece of paper. The voice of his second in command called suddenly from the other side of its door. Lusari winced and realised with curse that his drawing had suffered from it.
"capitano, vascelli in vista !".
Lusari stood up from his chair and headed for the door.
"Dammit Emilio, don't shout while I am doing the maps, and don't use italian, the other sailors don't understand it."
"Sorry capitano. We have sighted three sets of sails on the horizon, european ships by the look of them."
"Flag ?"
"Aragon, capitano."

Three sets of Hispanic sails in the middle of nowhere near the South Chinese coast, this could only mean one thing...

"Emilio, load our biggest guns, and get two bottles of Alicante in my cabin, I remember taking some before we left."
"Sir ?"
"We celebrate today Emilio, we celebrate a fellow explorer. I should actually say we celebrate a true hero."

Emilio left, Lusari grabbed some fine clothes he brought, just in case, grabbed his schiavona and went on the deck. He informed his crew of the situation.

"What you have sighted today on the horizon my friends, is glory itself", he said, "today our fellow sailor Lübecker has made Hispania greater than it already was, prepare to celebrate, we'll return to Mahe sooner that planned and drink and feast for a whole week !"

The guns were fired with three "hurray". They were fired again, and again, and each time the sailors grew louder almost surpassing the guns'. The senyera was raised high upon the main mast. Lusari took the wheel and headed straight towards the other ships. He approached the admiral ship and ordered his men to stand attention. Finally he saw Lübecker on the deck of his ship.

"I don't know which ship you would prefer to celebrate on, amico Johann, but I have got two bottles of Alicante waiting for us in my cabin, I assume you haven't tasted it in a while."
With a large smile Robert Johann Lübecker stepped on Lusari's deck, "let's taste it then, we'll drink to the glory of Hispania" he said.
"We'll drink to your glory, my friend, and to all the seas we have sailed" Lusari answered.
"We will have to drink for next decade my friend."

The two captains entered Lusari's frugal cabin while the sailors celebrated on deck. They had countless tales to tell, astonishing seas, gruesome storms, misty lands of untold beauty. For a whole night they celebrated a life spent on the waves. Celebrations weren't over. The fleet, now composed of six proud ships, sailed to Mahe, the sailors strapped any stendard they could find to the masts. Mahe was finally sighted, they cheered and sang until they got there. Such a scene will never repeat itself, thought Lusari, nor will hundreds of voices sing in unison of such glory again over the sea.

All the ships fired their guns while approaching Mahe, the island's batteries answered, they had seen the flags, recognized the ships, they knew what was happening. They entered the small sheltered bay the local settlers built the port in. Now Lusari knew he would really never see such a display of joy and glory. The piers were covered by a mass of cheering men, women and childs and by more flags than any man could count. Muskets were fired in celebration, guns too, and everyone sang, everyone cheered. The emperor of Catai himself, relaxing in his legendary palace far away, must have heard them that day.

Lusari was now sixty, he decided those would be his last days as a sailor, every sea had been sailed, and he had now celebrated the greatest deed any sailor could achieve. Tears of pride, nostalgia and joy started to fill his eyes as he observed the crowd cheering Lübecker, a true adventurer, a true hero.

That was the end of an era, and Lusari thought to himself.
"We are the last of a pantheon of heroes, never will the seas be sailed by the likes of us again."
He drank to that and shouted with everybody else "glory to Hispania, glory to Pere, Emperor of the Seven Seas, and to Robert Johann Lübecker, his greatest sailor !"

((Is it okay @wzhang29?))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((A letter to Emperor Pere I ))

Your Imperial Majesty,
I wish to express my gratitude for granting me a postion on the Royal Order of Light. While I do not think I am worthy of this honour, I will not question your decision. I was simply doing what I had to do. I also wish to say that I will still keep the oath I made to you, when you bacame the king. I will support you and stay loyal to you no matter what. That is why you can count on my whole support on the matter of you changing the laws of inheritance.
Your loyal subject,
Matthias de Saint-Pierre,
General of Hispania, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company

((A letter to Emperor Pere I ))

Your Imperial Majesty,
I wish to express my gratitude for granting me a postion on the Royal Order of Light. While I do not think I am worthy of this honour, I will not question your decision. I was simply doing what I had to do. I also wish to say that I will still keep the oath I made to you, when you bacame the king. I will support you and stay loyal to you no matter what. That is why you can count on my whole support on the matter of you changing the laws of inheritance.
Your loyal subject,
Matthias de Saint-Pierre,
General of Hispania, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company

You have surely proven yourself, along with your fellow generals, in the many battles against the Poles. It is thanks to good men like you that our Greek brethren rule over all of Greece. That is no small thing.

Do not feel obligated towards voting in favour of these succession changes simply because I am the one who proposed them. I want everyone's honest opinion on the matter, for whoever my successor will be must garner their support legitimately.

- His Imperial Highness, Pere V de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

JpsioAG.png

Emperor Pere V took a sip of tea, the drink nearly spilling out the sides his hands were shaking so much. He did his best to still them, but his nerves were getting the better of him. He couldn't delay any longer. The issue of succession had to be confronted now. He was still unsure which path was best. Part of him knew his sister would make a capable ruler, but he also realized the danger he'd put the realm in if she stayed as his heir. Another part of him recognized that changing succession could prevent potential problems, but he feared there was something more going on, especially with the disappearance of his children and the mysterious letter he had received. He couldn't make a rational choice with this confusion clouding his judgment. It was better to leave it in the hands of his court and let fate decide.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe the possibility of altering succession should be considered. Changing the laws to favour all males over females will remove many problems, although such changes may seem an affront to tradition within Iberia. I do not wish to rush ahead with such things without the court's approval. I ask of you to voice your opinions on this matter without fear of reprisal. Should we change succession?

((Good job on all the IC posts everyone. I love that the Battle of the Five Generals has taken on epic proportions and we get to celebrate the circumnavigation of the globe. :)

As for the vote, we'll be voting on whether or not to change succession so all males are placed ahead of females. Here is the vote:

Change Succession Laws?: Yes/No/Abstain

Players will have until Sunday at 12pm PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class.))

Change Succession Laws?: Abstain

While I believe we should not favor men over women in the matter of ruling, as we have seen many great queens around the world, I also believe that it would not be best for Hispania to be ruled from Constantinople, as our colonies, and possibly Iberia itself, would suffer.

((Almudena Hashem, courtier, general, Royal Order of the Light))

Change succession law : Yes
[Lorenzo da Lusari, courtier]

To the glorious Pere, Emperor of the Seven Seas.
You generously offered me the position of admiral, I have to humbly decline. I have served Hispania for almost forty years, I have fought in the Holy Roman Empire and France alongside the honorable duke Louis Clément de Montségur, I have served the Saint-Pierre family and the Trans-Atlantic trade company, I have explored the seas for years mapped the coastlines of Africa, India and part of China. I am now sixty and I will make a bold request, I have had many adventures and I wish to settle down. I know I am a bastard, a bastard of a highborn family, but a bastard nonetheless. I hope that my dedication to the crown and my many years of service have made up for this.

I am probably asking too much, I would ask you for a title, the county of Abruzzi if possible, so that I can see Italy again. If you think this is too much I would ask you for a lower title, some place to finish my life in peace, a place where i can proudly tell my sons and grandsons of how I served Hispania. If you grant me this my gratitude will be eternal and my descendants will forever the crown's most loyal servants.

Your humble servant, Lorenzo da Lusari

Change succession law : Yes
[Lorenzo da Lusari, courtier]

To the glorious Pere, Emperor of the Seven Seas.
You generously offered me the position of admiral, I have to humbly decline. I have served Hispania for almost forty years, I have fought in the Holy Roman Empire and France alongside the honorable duke Louis Clément de Montségur, I have served the Saint-Pierre family and the Trans-Atlantic trade company, I have explored the seas for years mapped the coastlines of Africa, India and part of China. I am now sixty and I will make a bold request, I have had many adventures and I wish to settle down. I know I am a bastard, a bastard of a highborn family, but a bastard nonetheless. I hope that my dedication to the crown and my many years of service have made up for this.

I am probably asking too much, I would ask you for a title, the county of Abruzzi if possible, so that I can see Italy again. If you think this is too much I would ask you for a lower title, some place to finish my life in peace, a place where i can proudly tell my sons and grandsons of how I served Hispania. If you grant me this my gratitude will be eternal and my descendants will forever the crown's most loyal servants.

Your humble servant, Lorenzo da Lusari

JpsioAG.png

I understand the need to settle down after such a long time in service. As for your petition for a title, it is a difficult matter. You are indeed of noble blood, although some may dispute that for being a baseborn son. Past history of elevating those not already a legitimate member of a noble family has caused problems for the kingdom. Yet it cannot be denied that noble blood runs in your veins and your actions do require a reward. Thus I will grant you a small barony within Abruzzi. If you were to be legitimized, there would be no question that you would be deserving of the county. Perhaps you should speak to Cardinal Soneta ((ML8991)) and see if he will speak to the Pope on this matter. He is a man of no small influence in the Holy See and his support will surely see you elevated to a full noble and deserving of your own county.

((I try to make it somewhat difficult to be elevated to noble, although seeing as your character has a noble backstory, it makes sense. Just send a letter to ML8991 asking for help with legitimization and if he accepts we'll assume you've been legitimized and deserving of the title. For now I'll move you to unlanded noble until that's all done. Hope that all makes sense. :)))

Last edited:
I understand the need to settle down after such a long time in service. As for your petition for a title, it is a difficult matter. You are indeed of noble blood, although some may dispute that for being a baseborn son. Past history of elevating those not already a legitimate member of a noble family has caused problems for the kingdom. Yet it cannot be denied that noble blood runs in your veins and your actions do require a reward. Thus I will grant you a small barony within Abruzzi. If you were to be legitimized, there would be no question that you would be deserving of the county. Perhaps you should speak to Cardinal Soneta ((ML8991)) and see if he will speak to the Pope on this matter. He is a man of no small influence in the Holy See and his support will surely see you elevated to a full noble and deserving of your own county.

((I try to make it somewhat difficult to be elevated to noble, although seeing as your character has a noble backstory, it makes sense. Just send a letter to ML8991 asking for help with legitimization and if he accepts we'll assume you've been legitimized and deserving of the title. For now I'll move you to unlanded noble until that's all done. Hope that all makes sense. :)))

I thank you for your kindness and understand your concerns. I will send a letter to the honorable Cardinal Soneta immediatly to seek his help.

Lorenzo da Lusari

((makes perfect sense ^^. In the meantime, and if Lusari doesn't get to be count, would Baron of Avezzano be okay as my title ? ( I checked what baronies there were in Aprutium in CK2)))

To the pious cardinal Juan II Francesco Michael de Soneta.

Your influence in the Holy See is well known and I would ask a favor of you if possible. I of course do not intend to just ask something of you, I will return the favor whenever you need, a da Lusari does not get without giving.

The favor I would ask of you concerns my lineage. I am the bastard son of a noble lord, I served the crown of Hispania for years, fighting and sailing the seven seas for the glory of god and the Emperor, discovering new lands where christianity will expand. I hope those deeds make me worthy of a legitimization. If the Pope deems necessary me to change the name Da Lusari, which I have taken in scorn of my father, I will of course do so. If I have to go through any kind of trial or complete any kind of ritual I will of course do so.

I thank you in advance for your attention.

Baron Lorenzo da Lusari

((makes perfect sense ^^. In the meantime, and if Lusari doesn't get to be count, would Baron of Avezzano be okay as my title ? ( I checked what baronies there were in Aprutium in CK2)))

((Sure, that title is fine. It fits the region, after all. :)))

((Private))

Francesc de Trastámara parried his opponent's blow, slapping it aside with ease. He struck out left and then right, trying to draw his opponent's sword wide. He succeeded in his manoeuvre and got a clear opening. He rushed in at the advantage, pushing the dull tip of his sword against his opponent's chest. The man dropped his sword and stepped away as a smirk spread across Francesc's face.

"I do not understand why you hire me for these sessions," Francesc's duelling instructor said. "You always end up besting me in the end."

"A man can only remain so skilled if he keeps practicing. Disuse breeds incompetence." Francesc walked over to the side of the courtyard and put his sword away. He nodded to the instructor, dismissing him. That was enough of a session for today.

As the duelling instructor left, Francesc's wife scurried out into the courtyard, the speed of her steps hinting at the urgency of whatever she wished to discuss. Francesc calmly went to meet his wife near the fountain at the centre of the courtyard. It was a nice cool spot, the most pleasant location in his estate in Madrid.

Francesca, who no doubt was teased as much as Francesc was for having a name nearly identical to her spouse, plopped herself down next to Francesc on the fountain's edge with a smile so wide it seemed ready to burst from her face. "Have you heard the news?"

Francesc raised an eyebrow at the bubbly demeanor of the princess. His wife was usually in a much fouler mood than this. Whatever news it was had to be good. "Does it look as though I have?"

Usually Francesca would have snapped at a snarky answer like that, but she didn't seemed phased at all. The news must indeed be good. She licked her lips eagerly and presented Francesc with a letter, one addressed to him and that was already open and had clearly been read by his wife. He'd have to remind his wife that it was impolite to go through his mail, but that was for another time. He opened it and began to read. What the letter said surprised him.

"Is this true?" Francesc asked. "Is the emperor truly considering changing the succession laws?"

"It seems that my brother has decided that he no longer wants my sister as heir," Francesca said with smirk. Francesc understood that the two sisters had not always been on the best of terms. The last time they had spoken was at their father's funeral, and that was two decades ago.

"You do realize that by placing males above females, he's essential disinheriting you as well," Francesc said, trying to understand why his wife was so glad about this news. Was the sibling rivalry truly that strong?

Francesca let out a huff of air. "Like I ever had a chance at the throne. Clara already has grandchildren. There are nearly a dozen people ahead of me in line for the throne." Francesca waved her hand, as though dismissing that fact. "It doesn't matter anymore, since if the succession laws change, she won't inherit. But you know who will?"

Francesc thought it over for a moment. He had not exactly studied his family tree extensively. If Pere were to pass away and his sisters were discounted as long as there were direct male Trastámaras heirs, he'd have no brothers to pass his crown to and thus they'd look to King Ferran IV's eldest brother. That'd be Enric, Francesc's own grandfather, who had been dead for over 50 years. His eldest son and Francesc's father, Alfons, had also passed away. Francesc's brother Carles would have been his heir, but the boy had passed away in his teens. That left Francesc, meaning...

"I'd be the emperor's heir?" Francesc asked incredulously. He visualized the family tree again and came to the same conclusion. Francesca's predatory grin confirmed it.

Francesc scratched at his head. Why would the emperor try to change succession to make him heir? As he thought about it more, maybe it had nothing to do with him at all. If the changes were to keep women out of succession, his becoming heir was merely a coincidence, a circumstance of birth. A grin spread across his face. He did not know why Emperor Pere had changed his mind, but this change in succession was a great boon to him.

"His Imperial Highness, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania," Francesc said, letting the title roll off the tongue. He liked the sound of that. His mind was immediately in motion, thinking of how he could secure his position once succession was changed.

((Private))

A servant let Francesc into Pere's study as the emperor rose from his seat. Pere shook his brother-in-law's hand and ushered for him to take a seat.

"What can I do for you today?" Pere asked, although he suspected what it revolved around. His attempt to change succession had drawn attention from many in his family. He was also well aware that the man sitting in front of him would become his heir. He did not necessarily consider that a bad thing, but it wasn't exactly a choice he could make. Designating a specific heir outside the current laws would cause even greater difficulty.

"I received word of your proposal at court and felt it best to meet with you as soon as possible," Francesc said, a smug look on his face. "I admit I was surprised to learn that I was to be your heir."

"I am not trying to change succession for your benefit," Pere said coldly, trying to knock down the other man's ego a bit. "It is merely something that should be considered."

Francesc did not seem disturbed by the comment and continued on. "It is still something that will have far-reaching implications. If I am to be your heir, my family and I should prepare for that eventuality."

Pere narrowed his eyes. Had Francesc been preparing for this? Even worse, had he been preparing for this before Pere announced the potential succession changes. Perhaps the writer of that letter was sitting right in front of him. Francesc certainly had the most to gain from changing succession. Perhaps he could subtly force a reaction out of him to reveal the truth. "Well we must all think of our children. I know my children have been on my mind lately."

Francesc's look grew sombre, but he did not seem startled by Pere's words. Perhaps he did not know the whereabouts of Pere's missing bastards. Instead Francesc said, "It is a great misfortune what has happened to your family. To lose your little ones so young is a travesty."

Pere cleared his throat, feeling a tad awkward. He decided it was best to try to steer the conversation elsewhere. "So how are your children anyway? I haven't seen them since Sofia was born."

"Miquel and Sofia are doing quite well. As for Ferran, he has grown into a strong young man." Francesc hesitated, as if considering something. "In fact, he is the reason I came here."

"And why is that?"

"I know that many years ago a potential marriage between the Trastámara and Habsburg families was agreed to, but circumstances kept such an arrangement from being fully met." Francesc cleared his throat, most likely due to the delicate nature of the subject. Both men knew the marriage had never gone through because Pere's children had not survived childhood. "My son Ferran is of age, and if the succession laws change and I am made heir, it would be wise for my eldest son to have a suitable match. A Habsburg would do nicely there."

Pere mulled that over for a bit. He did not enjoy talking about the subject, for it reminded him of the reality of his situation. Yet his brother-in-law had a valid point. With no children of his own, a marriage between Francesc's son and a Habsburg girl would be ideal. "That seems like a viable choice that should please our Austrian allies. I shall send word to the arch-duke of a potential match for his daughter."

A smile slowly spread across Francesc's face as he rose from his chair. "I must inform Francesca then. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear the news." With a bow to his sovereign, Francesc left the room.

Pere remained seated for a bit longer, pondering things. He had suspected that Francesc had been behind recent events, perhaps even wrote the letter, but now he was not so sure. If Francesc was involved, he was hiding it well. Pere rubbed at his forehead, feeling a headache coming on. This whole affair was taking far too much out of him.

Change Succession Laws?: Yes

((I will sponsor a colony in Kumeyaay.

Also, changing back to admiral.))

((private))
'Is money really worth more to you than the loyalty to your Emperor? In any case, you will have enough time to think about it.' Montségur made a sign to one of the guards, and they carried away the man who had sold the plans of the Hispanian Chancellory to the Venetians. Search for the man was long and difficult, but he hoped to have found the spy within. Espionage will never cease, he thought. Like succession troubles. It would be so much easier if Pere had an heir, but alas, that would not be. As things stood, the crown would pass to Clara, then to Maurianus Palaiologos - the Greek Emperor under Hispanian protection. While it would certainly be good to unite the Imperial crowns, this could not happen. The man was a Greek, ruling from Constantinople. More importantly, Montségur remembered how his father sided in the religious turmoil, what Byzantium's stance towards heresy is ever since the mended schism and the Orthodox revolt. Would Maurianus try to revert the policies of tolerance? If he was influenced by the court of Constantinople, which is more than just likely, then yes. This could not be allowed to happen. Emperor Pere certainly has another motivation driving him to propose such change, one that would certainly be useful to know, but for his own reasons, Montségur fully supported this change. Seeing that it would lead to the coronation of Francesc, the count of Madrid, a man that showed himself somehow favourable to his cause at his son's wedding, was another initiative. But then he thought of the Hundred Years' War. And why would Pere...
Sadly he was more skilled at capturing spies than at sending some out, and even there with limited success, but it wouldn't hurt to try to get some information - with help.

myKh8vJ.png

Your Imperial Majesty,

I agree that this reviewed succession law would solve many problems. As Chancellor, I am familiar with claims and documents of all sort, therefore I have studied the document from the reign of Your grandfather Alfons VII to see how much it would impact the tradition. I have noticed that the document mentions solely 'the Trastámara family as the royal family of Hispania'. Only clause X. mentions a case when the crown passes out of the hands of the family. The aforementioned clauses speak of sons and daughters, but all with the Trastámara name, as seen in the introduction and only clause X. mentioning another dynasty name. Even without full male preference, the law would not have the crown passed to Maurianus Palaiologos. A great break of tradition would therefore not occur would the female line be excluded from inheritance. With an Imperial clarification act on that matter, potential claims from Byzantium on the Hispanian crown can also be averted while keeping the current law. But if Your Highness believes that a male preference succession should be instituted, I will support that change. I have to issue a warning though: My family's origins are in France, and the kingdom has suffered for more than a century under a conflict that essentially resulted from a very similar decision. May You consider this in Your decision.

Your humble servant,
Denis Vincent de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Chancellor of Hispania

((Change Succession Laws?: Abstain))

Your Eminence, my friend,

I have to share some worries about the state of the realm with you in your office, but also as my friend and ally. Firstly, it would be good to find someone who cares for the economy of the empire to serve as Treasurer and Steward. Duke Etxeto has not been seen in Valencia nor has he formulated any plan for his office, so it may be wise to remind him of his duties. Should he stay in Navarra without formulating such a plan, then I would advise you to seek a replacement to care for both offices, for they are very important to fill. We also lack viceroys - while less important, it would be wise to have such men communicating with our colonies. Aren't there people at court with experience over there, such as Leon, da Lusari and Lübecker? They might be good choices. Any office not filled falls into the responsability of the Chancellory, and I would be very grateful to have less tasks for it.
In other matters, I worry about the sudden change of heart the Emperor had about succession. With age, he certainly has to think about his successor, but why so abruptly now? His Imperial Highness' hesitations while pronouncing his intentions lead me to further suspicions. I would have written earlier, but I had spent my time studying the implications of such a change within the Chancellory. What I ask is for some support. We have to find the true motivation behind his decision. I genuinely hope it was only what he said, but it might have serious diplomatic consequences if it is another - and someone else finds out before we do. The spy incident with the Venetians has been the latest incident showing what huge costs this might have for Hispania, and it also shows that I need help. For the good of Hispania, we must learn what it is truly about, before others do.

Your friend,
Denis Vincent de Montségur

((I'd be requesting a roll to see if I can get some information about the letter. I would imagine that the chance is rather high that the official story is confirmed ;), so I'm looking for help.))

Last edited:
Change Succession Laws?: Abstain
Eduard Villanova

(( Courtier, Colonist

colonies list

alscon - Arequipa
DragonOfAtlantis: Hawaii
Wzhang29 - Kumeyaay

Inactives (lowest priority):
Supergrej - Parabia
Firehound15 - Pamlico))

I agree that this reviewed succession law would solve many problems. As Chancellor, I am familiar with claims and documents of all sort, therefore I have studied the document from the reign of Your grandfather Alfons VII to see how much it would impact the tradition. I have noticed that the document mentions solely 'the Trastámara family as the royal family of Hispania'. Only clause X. mentions a case when the crown passes out of the hands of the family. The aforementioned clauses speak of sons and daughters, but all with the Trastámara name, as seen in the introduction and only clause X. mentioning another dynasty name. Even without full male preference, the law would not have the crown passed to Maurianus Palaiologos. A great break of tradition would therefore not occur would the female line be excluded from inheritance. With an Imperial clarification act on that matter, potential claims from Byzantium on the Hispanian crown can also be averted while keeping the current law. But if Your Highness believes that a male preference succession should be instituted, I will support that change. I have to issue a warning though: My family's origins are in France, and the kingdom has suffered for more than a century under a conflict that essentially resulted from a very similar decision. May You consider this in Your decision.

((Lol, didn't even consider that loophole. I included that part simply to make it clear that it only applied to the royal family and the players could use whatever succession they wanted. I suppose it could be used for more drama if we want it to. :D))

((I'd be requesting a roll to see if I can get some information about the letter. I would imagine that the chance is rather high that the official story is confirmed ;), so I'm looking for help.))

((I was wondering if anyone would inquire about the letter. I will indeed allow a roll, but not right at this moment. I'm going to allow you time to find allies to help you discover the truth. Let's say 24 hours from now, or whenever you feel ready to attempt the roll, whichever comes first. The more people willing to help, especially those with power, will increase the odds of success. Of course there's also the chance that Pere, or someone even worse, might discover what's going on and interfere. Guess I should actually write out a potential letter just in case.))

((Lol, didn't even consider that loophole. I included that part simply to make it clear that it only applied to the royal family and the players could use whatever succession they wanted. I suppose it could be used for more drama if we want it to. :D))

((A diplomat's task: choosing each word carefully and having a document say what you want it to say ;).))

((I was wondering if anyone would inquire about the letter. I will indeed allow a roll, but not right at this moment. I'm going to allow you time to find allies to help you discover the truth. Let's say 24 hours from now, or whenever you feel ready to attempt the roll, whichever comes first. The more people willing to help, especially those with power, will increase the odds of success. Of course there's also the chance that Pere, or someone even worse, might discover what's going on and interfere. Guess I should actually write out a potential letter just in case.))

((I'll look for more allies then. :)))

Count de Alvaro,

I thank you again for your help at the Chancellory. It is good to have another influential diplomat. I am certain you are as angered as myself about that Venetian spy that gave away our plan and are therefore well-aware how important it is that information about Hispania's inner workings are kept within the empire. With Emperor Pere now announcing a change in succession law so suddenly and in the manner he did, I fear that there is another motivation in the background. One that can threaten Hispania should it come into the wrong hands - at least before we do. I would ask for your help in getting to know if my worries are misplaced, or if we should all worry...

I hope this will end well. Respectfully,

Signor de Lusari,

my father spoke highly of you after the Dutch war ended. And right now, I need a man with experience. Experience in the unknown, maybe intrigue. I am very worried about this proposal to change the succession. Have you seen Emperor Pere propose it? It seemed as if he didn't make this decision for the reason he stated. For the good of Hispania, we have to know it before our enemy does. Information like this might be crucial for the future of the empire. So I would ask for your help in procuring this information. It needs to be done, and my past experience with spies hasn't proven successful, nor do I see a way to reach it. I would be very grateful for your help, do not hesitate to ask for mine in exchange.

In hope that I am erring, respectfully,

Count D'Este,

as you have certainly heard, Emperor Pere wants to change the succession law. His motivation to do so does cast some doubts, especially the way he announced it, as well as the implications: The coronation of Francesc, the count of Madrid, as next Emperor. Francesc seems to be a very able man, though he seemed to be sympathetic to my faith during my son's wedding. Pere is a very Catholic ruler even if he tolerates our presence, so naming Francesc as his heir raises further suspicions. I would humbly ask for your aid in clearing these suspicions. I honestly want to believe that he doesn't want to unite the empires under Palaiologos rule, but if that isn't the case, we have to be informed before our enemies do.

Respectfully,

Duke Limmona,

as you have certainly heard, Emperor Pere wants to change the succession law. His motivation to do so does cast some doubts, especially the way he announced it, as well as the implications: The coronation of Francesc, the count of Madrid, as next Emperor. Francesc seems to be a very able man, though he seemed to be sympathetic to my faith during my son's wedding. Pere is a very Catholic ruler even if he tolerates the presence of 'heretics' like myself and Count D'Este, so naming Francesc as his heir raises further suspicions. You are known for a long service to the crown and vehement supporter of tolerance; while I do believe that Pere is sincere in his pursuit of tolerance, it would be a step too far to name a sympathizer as his heir, for fear of abandoning the Catholic faith. I would humbly ask for your aid in clearing these suspicions. I honestly want to believe that he doesn't want to unite the empires under Palaiologos rule, but if that isn't the case, we have to be informed before our enemies do.

Respectfully,

((See above.))

General,

you as a hero of the last war with its culmination in the Battle of the Five Generals have seen the consequences that the right piece of information can have. In fact, the Venetians learned of our plan to strike against them, and sealed an advantageous peace for themselves before Hispania could attack. This peace made the Poles able to focus their might entirely against Hispania. Many lives were lost that would have otherwise been spared. So now, I ask for your help to prevent another critical information from escaping our grasp. Why Emperor Pere wants to change the succession so suddenly. He must have realized long ago that the crown might pass to Maurianus. And the way he presented his decision wasn't very convincing. There is likely another reason. One that, in the wrong hands, might cause as much bloodshed as the leaked plan to intervene against Venice. I humbly ask you to help me prevent another disaster like this one.

Hoping that there is no hidden reason, respectfully,

((A handy tagging for all those I addressed: @Robban204 , @Mau da Cic , @Von Habsburg , @AvatarOfKhaine , @hirahammad , @05060403 , @zenphoenix , @wzhang29, and @ML8991 before. ;)))