• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My liege you can't hit your young daughter, For someone her age it is understandable that she finds formal activities like this dull, I'm sure it wasn't an insult towards you or this gathering.

Let the lady have her time alone, and she will be ready to continue soon

((Clara slapped the king, not the other way around.))

((Private - Michaelangelo))

With the appointment of his associate to the position of Grandmaster, Ferrante Peralta is reminded of the business plan he had agreed upon, and writes a letter to the King:

Your Majesty,

I wish to humbly request the position of Viceroy of Neuves Baleares. I find the current political mood in Hispania ill-suited to a man such as myself, for, I must confess, I have a far greater knowledge of ledger-keeping and account management than of court politics. I feel that I could better serve Your Majesty in a position in which I could contribute my skills for the good of the Kingdom, and I believe that the Viceroyalty of Neuves Baleares is such a position.

Your loyal and obedient servant,

Senor Ferrante Peralta

Your Majesty,

I wish to humbly request the position of Viceroy of Neuves Baleares. I find the current political mood in Hispania ill-suited to a man such as myself, for, I must confess, I have a far greater knowledge of ledger-keeping and account management than of court politics. I feel that I could better serve Your Majesty in a position in which I could contribute my skills for the good of the Kingdom, and I believe that the Viceroyalty of Neuves Baleares is such a position.

Your loyal and obedient servant,

Senor Ferrante Peralta

JpsioAG.png

Nuevas Baleares does have need of a viceroy, so you may have the position. One less thing for me to worry about with someone else at the helm.

- His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

Your Majesty,
I present to you the granting of permission to form the Caribbean Trading Company. Senor Peralta, Senorita Sastre, and I believe it is in the Crown's best interest to create this company, and grant a monopoly over Caribbean trade. As Grandmaster, I approve it, and all that remains is your blessing and putting it to the Council

Charter:
Carib Trade Company
How it will function:

-All members form the Board, and members of the Board will have 1 VP.

-The line of Peralta ((@@LatinKaiser )), Sastre ((@@Keinwyn)), and Hashem ((@@hirahammad)), will form the Privy Council, each of whom will have one more VP.

-From the Privy Council, a Governor-General will be elected each update, who will be given one more VP.

-All decisions are made by vote.

-Maximum size is 12 (currently)

Members:

Marina Sastre

Santoros Hashem

Ferrante Peralta

(9/12 left)

Monopolies:

Profit Distribution:

Crown: 40% (dependent on negotiation skills)

Privy Council (added to pay from board): 10%

Governor-General (added to pay from privy council): 10%

Company: 30%

Board: 10%

Sincerely,
Santoros Abu Hashem

((Asking to form Caribbean/Carib Trading Company, presenting charter, asking for vote for monopoly to be put up, as I, the Grandmaster, have approved it.))

Your Majesty,
I present to you the granting of permission to form the Caribbean Trading Company. Senor Peralta, Senorita Sastre, and I believe it is in the Crown's best interest to create this company, and grant a monopoly over Caribbean trade. As Grandmaster, I approve it, and all that remains is your blessing and putting it to the Council

Charter:

Sincerely,
Santoros Abu Hashem

((Asking to form Caribbean/Carib Trading Company, presenting charter, asking for vote for monopoly to be put up, as I, the Grandmaster, have approved it.))

JpsioAG.png

I shall grant your request. It is indeed within your power to allow the creation of such a trading company and I will inform the Council that you desire to grant it a monopoly.

- His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

((First things first, is it possible for you to edit your post so the charter also appears outside the spoiler? I just want it to be visible since anyone linked to it might be confused when they see a private letter.

Other than that, we shall have another vote then. All members of the Council may vote on this.

Caribbean Trading Company Monopoly (Council Only): Yes/No/Abstain

All Council members have until Tuesday at 12pm PST to vote.))

Caribbean Trading Monopoly: Yes

((Santoros Hashem, courtier, Grandmaster))

Charter
Caribbean Trading Company

Membership and Voting

-All members form the Board, and members of the Board will have 1 Board VP.

-The line of Hashem ((@hirahammad)), will form the Privy Council , who will have one more Board VP. Among themselves, they can vote to add new members to the Privy Council.

-From the Privy Council, a Hashem will be Governor-General, who will be given one more Board VP.

-In the event of having fewer monopolies than members, the Monopoly VP will be prioritized with Governor-General first, Privy Council next, and the Board last.

-All decisions are made by vote.

-Maximum size is 12

-A representative of the Crown will be present, and he will be from the line of Prince Marti.
Members:

Descendant of Prince Marti - Governor-general (Temporary)
----------
Descendant of Prince Marti

(10/12 left)

Monopolies: Caribbean

Profit Distribution:

Crown: 40%

Privy Council (added to pay from board): 10%

Governor-General (added to pay from privy council): 10%

Company: 30%

Board: 10%

Last edited:
Competition would be a good motivation for both trade companies to work harder to increase the profits of the crown in the end. So it would be good to accord this new CTC a monopoly, also to break the dominance of the TATC a bit, so that they might not grow too powerful.

((Caribbean Trade Monopoly: Yes))

Your Majesty,
The Caribbean are a very important hub for the trade coming from the New World. If anyone would claim a monopoly on that region the whole trade network might get destabilized! While I have nothing against competition I believer that the Caribbean should 'belong' to no company.
Henri de Saint-Pierre

((Caribbean Trade Monopoly: NO))

[courtier, merchant, Viceroy, NPC merchant]

I would like to be part in your new company.Should the Caribbean monopoly be passed thought,growth will come rapidly

Adam Al-Solomonid

I would like to be part in your new company.Should the Caribbean monopoly be passed thought,growth will come rapidly

Adam Al-Solomonid

((You are a noble, and can therefore not join any trade company. Besides, what about the marriage offer?))

Prince Marti sipped at his wine as he watched Princess Clara storm out of the ball. Teenagers could be a moody lot. He made his way to the king, who was surrounded by slobbering courtiers trying to gain his favour. His face was red with indignation, or perhaps that was from the slap he'd received. Marti pushed one courtier aside and asked, "Are you all right, Your Majesty?"

"I'm fine, Uncle," King Ferran IV said. "Just a little family dispute."

"You cannot control her," Marti said. "She is young and free-spirited. She will not like the idea of settling down, nor of being shipped off to some far-off land."

"Well what else can I do?" Ferran IV dabbed at his cheek with a moist cloth, generously provided by a servant.

"Have you perhaps considered a marriage that won't take your daughter away from court?" Marti kept his expression passive as he let that idea slip in.

"You mean a local marriage? I have considered it, but I would need to a find a candidate suitable for marrying royalty."

"I still have a son that is of yet unmarried who could be an ideal match for young Clara," Marti said with the barest hint of a smile.

"Your daughter is already married to Prince Pere," Ferran said with a huff. "Now you want my daughter too?"

"We are family, after all. Such a union will only serve to keep us that much closer."

Ferran hummed in thought before he said, "You may have a point about a local marriage though. I shall consider it."

Marti gave a slight bow and left the king, content that the seed had at least been planted. Now he had other things to consider. The newly created Caribbean Trading Company was seeking a monopoly and as chancellor he had a say in the matter. Competition between the major trading companies in the New World could improve trade, but perhaps this could be used as leverage with the TATC. Marti had struck a deal with August de Saint-Pierre before to help grant the TATC a monopoly before. Henri was more of an unknown and he was unsure that he'd be able to work with him. Marti might have to seek out the head of these two trading companies himself and weigh his options.

Marti had already heard that Prince Pere had expressed his support for this new trading company. That wasn't exactly a surprise. Pere was quite close with his mother's lady-in-waiting, Marina Sastre, and as a key figure in this new trading company she could count on his support. Marti suspected their friendship was more than just that, but he had seen no evidence of it. The man was too innocent for such things anyway. He probably didn't even consider the implications of such a monopoly. No, Marti was not like Pere in that regards. He would wait for them to come to him and win his support. These trading companies needed him if they wanted things to go their way.

((As before, I have given both Marti and Pere 3VP each to represent the equivalent of nobles on the council. If it isn't clear enough, Pere has voted yes to the monopoly, while Marti is undecided as of yet. Members of the TATC or CTC may want to buy his support here. ;)))

Dear Al-Solomonid,

Unfortunately, rules prevent nobility from joining trade companies. Otherwise, I would have accepted you.

Sincerely,
Santoros Hashem

Your Majesty,

I ask you to vote for the Caribbean Monopoly in favor of the CTC. However, I understand some more impetus may be required for such a vote, aside from the increased profits to the Crown. If you have any, thoughts, please contact me.

Sincerely,
Santoros Hashem

((What do you want?))

Adam Al-Solomonid

((You are a noble, and can therefore not join any trade company. Besides, what about the marriage offer?))

((I looked more closely at my rules and realized that technically nobles can join a trading company, but they just can't found it. Obviously the inability to serve as a merchant keeps them from doing much, but I don't see why they can't participate in the administration of the trading company. I'm going to edit the rules to make it more explicit. From now on, nobles may serve as financial backers to trading companies and serve in the administration, whether this means a simple clerk job or serving on a board of directors. However, seeing as trading companies are meant to be the courtiers' special thing and a way for them to gain VP, the extra VP from monopolies may not be assigned to nobles and nobles may not claim merchant positions.))

Your Majesty,

I ask you to vote for the Caribbean Monopoly in favor of the CTC. However, I understand some more impetus may be required for such a vote, aside from the increased profits to the Crown. If you have any, thoughts, please contact me.

Sincerely,
Santoros Hashem

((What do you want?))

Money does not interest me, if that is what you imply. Profits to the Crown surely help the kingdom as a whole, but not me. This trading company has not of yet proven itself. It is an unknown and thus I cannot be certain it is worthy of my support. However, the CTC may well prove profitable or even as influential as the TATC in the future. Having a say in such a company could be a great benefit. Traditionally it is expected that such organizations have a Crown representative to ensure the king's will is expressed, and that this individual participate in the trading company's governing body. Such a representative is usually a relative of the king or someone they trust. I might be more willing to support such a trading company if it were written in the company's charter that the Crown representative must be from my bloodline, mainly me or one of my direct descendants. If I were thus tied to the CTC, the acquisition of future monopolies would be much more beneficial to me.

- Prince Marti de Trastámara

Dear Al-Solomonid,

Upon a closer reading, I realize you can in fact join. Consider yourself a member. Your position will be of great help to us at the CTC.

Sincerely, Santoros Hashem

I think you making me a member of you company.I hope,the CTC will be vary successful.

To a fruitful relationship,
Adam Al-Solomonic.

Your Majesty,

I have included your line as representative of the Crown, and added you as the member.

Sincerely,
Santoros Hashem

((This is what you wanted, right?))

Prince Marti smiled to himself as he read the latest letter from Santoros Hashem. He'd received exactly what he wanted. He'd gladly see the CTC succeed now. He made sure to speak with his nephew, the king, once more, expressing his support for the idea of a monopoly on the Caribbean.

((If it's not clear, Marti is voting yes to the Caribbean monopoly. Also this is a good time to mention I will be out of town tomorrow and most likely won't be able to reply to IC until much later that day.))

((Private Prince Marti))
During the feast Henri approached Price Marti
"Your Highness *Henri bows*
A little bird has told me you wish to marry your son with the young princess Clara. It so happens I have yet not advised the King on that matter. A different source tells me you also have to vote on the matter of the monopoly for the new trading company. If you side with the TATC I might say some good words to the King about your son. And I Will owe you a favour. If there is something you want right now say and I will try to provide it. If you do not desire anything at this moment then let it be a favour for future."