• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Editing post by adding in IC, no vote changes))

I feel that I at the moment cannot come to a decision on the princess's future. I wish her all of the best and hope the rest of the court can decide on the best course of action.

~Hernando Francisco de Leon

Clara's Marriage: Abstain
Idea Group:
1. Innovative
2. Quality
3. Humanist

[unlanded ((?)) noble]

((May as well clarify that you are indeed an unlanded noble, although I do keep track of such things. Also need to mention we already have quality ideas, so you'll have to pick another one. Feel free to edit your vote, since I haven't counted it yet.))

Reactions:
'If you seek acceptance, then you should seek it through honest means. As you do not, you are entirely right about my attitude towards you. But now, let's stop talking. The time for words has ended.'

The duelists went into position, and the fighting began. Trying to gain an advantage out of his age, Saint-Pierre tried to end this duel quickly with fast strikes, which Montségur managed to parry. Henri nervously looked at da Lusari from time to time, a distraction the duke could have used, but he decided not to. The man was there for his safety, not to worry his opponent. Instead, he started own, slower attacks, that Saint-Pierre parried with relative ease, returning to his furor swiftly and enchaining multiple enraged strikes. Parried, dodged, and then, with a swift move, Louis hit the mark barely over his swordhand. He had learned and trained fencing since childhood, and this was just one of the many techniques he knew - very effective, usually to disarm your opponent. Now simply to win the duel.

The seconds confirmed that the strike had drawn blood, and as such the duel was ended, the duelists returning the weapons. 'You should be proud of yourself - a first step into the right direction, that duel.' He left Saint-Pierre to digest his loss for a while, keeping an eye on him. Then, Montségur stepped closer, his sword in the hand, handed to him by his son with great relief over his face. 'I can respect you for finally showing some honour. Don't tarnish that newfound respect now - time to pay our extra condition. I have called for a medicus in advance', a man approached, inclining himself. 'He's good, the same man who treated my wound sustained at the tournament. There is no backing down - present your wounded hand on that table!' The duke looked at his sword. 'A fine blade, this one.' 'It will be a clean cut.'

((Giving @05060403 the chance to react IC before continuing. Hope I didn't deform the fighting style.))

Reactions:
"You do not know what I had to go through! In the world of trade an honest man doesn't profit. If you think I decided to face you to 'reclaim' my honour then you are mistaken. I do not care about it. Honour can't buy anything. Face it Duke! Chivarly dies! In futue people will not care for their honour, or God. all they will care about is money. The coin will rule the world. I can feel it... I only faced you so you can give relief to your anger. I know how it feels... To hate someone. To desire to see them suffer. Look into my eyes. Do you really see a bad man? Do you think I cheated to win? If I have to lose my hand then so be it... But I hope that you understand that this hand has a family to feed and work to do... *Henri placed his hand on the table* Now decide: Do you want to leave a man partially incapable and give in to the primal feeling of anger? Or will you have enough human decency to forgive a broken man? Choose!"

Reactions:
((Clara's Marriage: Abstain (Could you tell us what IC things, such as angry Byzantium, are represented in-game?)

Ideas:
1.Trade
2.Diplomatic
3.Innovative

Santoros Abu Hashem, courtier, Grandmaster,))

(( @Keinwyn, who else did Marina ask about the company? ))

Last edited:
As Henri de Saint-Pierre lowered his hand on the table da Lusari approached Montségur.
"Duca, I may be arrogant by trying to have a say in this matter, but I'm a man who had a lot of enemies, I know what it means and what a burden it is. This may be the day you have one enemy less. I do think it would be wise to let il vicerè Henri go.".
Lorenzo hoped this wouldn't turn against him, he shouldn't really have a say in this after all, but he wanted Montségur to be his ally in the royal court, so it was better if the duke himself didn't have any dangerous and humiliated foe running around.

Pedro Velazquez gleefully inhaled his surroundings as he entered the palace. He was a man grown now and a baron, unlike the last time he was here. He would make sure to succeed this time, honor his great-uncle's name, and redeem his failure in the jousting tournament. If only the cardinal could be here...but then again he would hate it, so it was better he was not.

He came smartly dressed and armed with an arsenal of courtesies and complements. He intended to woo a beautiful, rich and high-born lady. If he could seduce the peasant girls near the estate how hard could it be?

After some idle chit-chat with some half-remembered acquaintances he saw her: Princess Clara. She dazzled him and took his breath away. It was not only her position: she was truly the most beautiful women in the room and maybe the entire world! At that moment Pedro felt that he had to have her or at least talk to her. It was a long-shot and she may not even deign to look at him but his family name gave him a chance, as his great uncle was one of the most powerful men in the world. However, he knew the Trastamaras were decadent and did not care for religion like they did in past generations.

As he strode across the room to meet the princess disaster struck. His foot made contact with something and then he fell face-first into a pie. The entire assembly of Aragon's elite saw him and laughed. Worst of all, the princess seemed to be laughing scornfully.

He had failed again. The cardinal would be ashamed.

Reactions:
Ideas:

1. Influence
2. Quantity
3. Offensive

As representative to the Knights, Velazquez naturally backed policies designed to monitor the kingdom's vast network of client states, especially with rumors emanating from Constantinople that the uppity Greeks were not happy, Failing that, he supported military policies against the heretic states of Europe designed to recruit more men into the army and increase their battle-effectiveness. As long as the fools in Valencia did not support heretical ideas...the thought of the court embracing humanism and heretical innovations sickened him.

((Clara's Marriage: Abstain (Could you tell us what IC things, such as angry Byzantium, are represented in-game?)

((I don't want to reveal the exact outcome of each choice, seeing as I think that may bias people to pick a certain path. Most of them are logical though. If we don't pick someone, they'll probably feel offended, or in the case of Byzantium feel snubbed once again. Someone who is snubbed is liable to lash out. On the other hand, picking someone will improve relations between us, although some choices may not be as good for our reputation, especially if we seem like we're giving in to someone else.))

(( Edit to Vote
Clara's Marriage: Local Noble (If everyone is equally annoyed, then we haven't annoyed anyone.)

Santoros Abu Hashem, courtier, Grandmaster))

Clara's Marriage:Abstain,I feel the marriage of Princess Clara should be made by the King or the princess herself.
Idea 1:Quanity.
Idea 2:Trade
Idea 3:Offensive

Adam Al-Solomonid

'Every one of your actions is judged by the people around you. You say all people care about is money. That certainly has some truth in it. But also important are trust and respect. How is one to make business with someone from whom you know that he tries as much as he can to use it to nothing more than his own benefit, betraying his partner at the first opportunity just on a whim, as he feels there is more coin in it? How can anyone conduct trade if this mentality prevails? Our society is based on minimal trust. In a world as you describe it, there is no order, no safety, no place to live. It is treason towards mankind. There isn't only justice in the next world, also in this one. And I am a man who holds true to his word.' He readied his weapon.

Da Lusari approached him, trying to convince him otherwise. 'To become a good general, you will have to learn to listen, to read your surroundings with all attention. I am bringing this man to a fate he deserves, a fate he has sought with his own actions. I am acting based on my principles, and will not break my word in any circumstance.'

'This isn't about anger. About justice. It will not leave you as broken as you say, for a merchant like you doesn't need both hands. But each time you will want to use this one, you will have to think. Was it worth it? Should I continue as before?' Louis made a short pause. 'May this forever remind you of your wrong deeds.' The blade swings down, and clearly cuts off Saint-Pierre's hand. The medicus immediately runs towards him to deal with the wound. Satisfied, Duke Montségur thanked his seconds, inviting da Lusari to his Valencian residence after the ball, and returned into the great hall.

myKh8vJ.png

Few of interest had happened at the ball while he was busy. Good enough. He attended to the little business he had to do and enjoyed the rest of the ball. Of course, the realm had to keep a strong army. In his opinion, Hispania should continue to improve the quality of its army, either with more focus on the aristocracy, the offense, or the defense. The princess should be married to France to improve the current relations.

((Clara's Marriage: France
Idea 1: Aristocracy
Idea 2: Offensive
Idea 3: Defensive
[Duke, General, Chamberlain]
))

He also went to the Count of Córdoba to address matters of his niece. 'As you might know, Count Adam, my niece Sophie Béatrice is interested in a marriage with your person. She is not the youngest anymore, so if you want to accept, it would be wise to make a quick decision should she bear you any children. I wouldn't be concerned should you decline, if you fear that.'

'Every one of your actions is judged by the people around you. You say all people care about is money. That certainly has some truth in it. But also important are trust and respect. How is one to make business with someone from whom you know that he tries as much as he can to use it to nothing more than his own benefit, betraying his partner at the first opportunity just on a whim, as he feels there is more coin in it? How can anyone conduct trade if this mentality prevails? Our society is based on minimal trust. In a world as you describe it, there is no order, no safety, no place to live. It is treason towards mankind. There isn't only justice in the next world, also in this one. And I am a man who holds true to his word.' He readied his weapon.

Da Lusari approached him, trying to convince him otherwise. 'To become a good general, you will have to learn to listen, to read your surroundings with all attention. I am bringing this man to a fate he deserves, a fate he has sought with his own actions. I am acting based on my principles, and will not break my word in any circumstance.'

'This isn't about anger. About justice. It will not leave you as broken as you say, for a merchant like you doesn't need both hands. But each time you will want to use this one, you will have to think. Was it worth it? Should I continue as before?' Louis made a short pause. 'May this forever remind you of your wrong deeds.' The blade swings down, and clearly cuts off Saint-Pierre's hand. The medicus immediately runs towards him to deal with the wound. Satisfied, Duke Montségur thanked his seconds, inviting da Lusari to his Valencian residence after the ball, and returned into the great hall.

Henri screamed from pain. "YOU SAY THIS ISN'T ABOUT ANGER, BUT I KNOW BETTER DUKE! THE WOLE TOURNAMET I WAS CONSUMED BY THAT FEELING AFTER MY BROTHER GOT SEVERELY HURT! AND IT WAS BECAUSE OF ME! SO I WANTED TO MAKE THE ONE WHO DID THAT TO HIM PAY, I WANTED TO MAKE EVERYBODY PAY! And you say I do not need both my hands! Ha! A noble may not need both of his hands, but for us 'commoners' things afre entirely different. My entire life I had it 'easy' but I never accepted it.... I serverd on ships, I helped lower merchants whenever they needed help... All of those actions required both of my hands... And now all I will be good for is sitting behind a table. I hope you remember this sight Duke... A sight of a broken man. And when you lay on the bed of death you will understand why you did."'

Henri then addressed Da Lusari "You're a good man, I can see it in your eyes. I hope you remember this sight. The sight of 'noble's justice'. Even if they hide it very well, all they care about is their pride. In Hispania you either side with someone or everyone will try to get you out of their way. I do not blame you for your actions, and I hope you do not regret your choice. My offer is still valid. The doors of TATC are always open. We always seek talented man for our milita forces in the colonies. Finding suitable leaders has proven quite... cumbersome. I wish you good luck on your path, whatever you chose."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For now I wish to abstain from all ongoing vots. I will not participate in the political life of our nation until I gather my thoughts on few matters. Our colony of Sanchonia doesn't have any issues that would need addressing. (No changes to old plans)

Clara's Marriage: Abstain
Idea Group:
1. Abstain
2. Abstain
3. Abstain

Henri de Saint-Pierre,
Viceroy of Sanchonia, Head of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company

[courtier, merchant, Viceroy, NPC merchant]

Henri then addressed Da Lusari "You're a good man, I can see it in your eyes. I hope you remember this sight. The sight of 'noble's justice'. Even if they hide it very well, all they care about is their pride. In Hispania you either side with someone or everyone will try to get you out of their way. I do not blame you for your actions, and I hope you do not regret your choice. My offer is still valid. The doors of TATC are always open. We always seek talented man for our milita forces in the colonies. Finding suitable leaders has proven quite... cumbersome. I wish you good luck on your path, whatever you chose."

Da Lusari handed back the sword they had lent him to a guard. He then turned back towards the Viceroy, they had more in common than he thought, it seemed like Henri finally revealed his true colors. The mercenary waited for the medicus to finish and helped the viceroy up.

"It seems I am getting a lot of offers today, I thank you again for yours Vicerè. I will join Montségur in his estate in Valencia, but if I climb up the military ladder I will not forget your generosity.".

Da Lusari didn't enter the party again, he went home to give a few swings to his Schiavona before going traveling to the duke estate.

My king, my vote are as follows:

Clara's Marriage: Byzantium
Idea Group:
1. Humanist
2. Defensive
3. Economic

Your loyal servant,

Ioannes de Alvaro, count of Sassari
Lux Tenebris Vincet

The longer the ball dragged on, the less fun Princess Clara was having. Her father kept introducing her to men only interested in marriage. She met some duke from Bohemia who was almost her father's age, and then some distant cousin of the British king's who had the face of a donkey. All of them were dull. The latest suitor was an Aviz from Portugal of all places. Clara tried not to roll her eyes as he made his case.

"You see, I am the second cousin of the king of Portugal and my branch of the family doesn't exactly see eye to eye with him," the man said. She didn't even remember what his name was; she didn't care either. "Our marriage could help bring Portugal peacefully into this kingdom."

Clara stifled a yawn. "You mean to say that you want save your family's hide and try to take the title to Portugal when it is inevitably conquered by us."

"Clara," King Ferran IV said. He gave her a stern look, but she just waved it off.

The Aviz man went to speak, but Clara placed a finger to his lips to silence him. "I've heard enough for now. Your proposal shall be taken into consideration."

As Clara walked away from the stunned Aviz man, her father tapped her on the shoulder and then steered her aside. "What were you thinking? You cannot speak that way to suitors."

"Father, I grow tired of all this," Clara said with a pout. "Why don't I get any say in who I marry?"

Ferran grabbed Clara roughly by the shoulders. "Because I am king and you are my daughter. You will do as I say."

Without a moment's thought, Clara slapped her father across the face. He stumbled back, shock on his face. Several people nearby noticed and gasped. A few sycophants were already fawning over the king as he gently rubbed his cheek. It had already gone red with an imprint of her hand. She wouldn't apologize for it, not now. She let out a huff of anger and stormed out of the ballroom, everyone's eyes following her as she went. Life was so unfair.

My Liege,

Clara's Marriage: Byzantium
Idea Group:
1. Humanist
2. Innovative
3. Economic

Niccolo Limmona, Duke of Naples and Capua and Count of Salerno - Marshall and General of the Realm

(( Landed Noble, General, Council Member))

My liege you can't force your young daughter to do this, it will look unattractive to the visiting suitors, For someone her age it is understandable that she finds formal activities like this dull, I'm sure it wasn't an insult towards you or this gathering.

Let the lady have her time alone, and she will be ready to continue soon

((Edited, to show what really happened))

Last edited: