• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ferdinant saw king Ferran and wanted to talk.

"Your majesty, I have a request that may be a bit crazy. For years now we have contributed to the wealth of Sevilla, and we want to take it one step further. We request countship of the city of Sevilla. We know that being part of a trade company is a thing for merchants and courtiers, so we wanted to split our family in two. One side takes on the administration of Sevilla, while the other will stay courtiers and help the TATC prosper, and with it, Hispania.
Sevilla is a rich city full with great potential, and I promise that we will use that potential to make Sevilla the most prosperous in Hispania."

((private - Caterina))

The feast neared the end, and Duke François wanted to make his decisions. He had made up his mind, and so he went to see the Queen Mother first.
'Your Majesty, about the inquisition... yes, this is their task. But are they acting with this task in mind? Few have been investigated due to any clue or evidence pointing towards heresy. Take Cardinal Velazquez' accusations because of the attempted murder as example. Duke Limmona, proven innocent, and myself had been accused to be involved in a murder conspiracy just because we were in favour of more tolerance, something the clergy opposes! If that isn't a political goal, then I don't know what would be one. The idea of the Inquisition is ecclesiastical, but its implementation is not. A reform is not the answer. I am sorry, but I cannot support your candidature.'

((private - Prince Marti))

The Prince understood his concerns, or at least pretended to. Mere pretension would not be enough.
'Your Highness, I am pleased to see that you share my concerns. Hopefully the French will stay on our side with your plan.' He looked down for a moment, then back at the prince.
'Though it may be hard to achieve, the Inquisition needs to be constricted. And as my uncle taught me, swift action is vital in war - so if you want to take necessarily swift action against Portugal, then you have to deal with this first. Before the Portuguese find a strong ally, hopefully not France... As soon as this matter is resolved, I shall free the funds needed, but not a moment before.'

Then leaving the feast, Montségur thought of what he had decided.
As no candidate has presented himself, he would nominate no Chamberlain. The Cortz would continue fulfilling its role just as before for the next years. Also, he would support prince Marti's chancellorship. Finally, Hispania would not be able to declare any aggressive war as long as his call for control of, or more severe means against, the Inquisition was not implemented. If it wasn't, Hispania would at least experience a prolonged period of peace.

((to resume:
Chancellor: Marti
Chamberlain: None
Treasury: Lower military maintenance to zero should any aggressive war be declared (condition: control Inquisition)

François de Montségur
[Duke, Cortz, Treasurer/Steward]))

Ferdinant saw king Ferran and wanted to talk.

"Your majesty, I have a request that may be a bit crazy. For years now we have contributed to the wealth of Sevilla, and we want to take it one step further. We request countship of the city of Sevilla. We know that being part of a trade company is a thing for merchants and courtiers, so we wanted to split our family in two. One side takes on the administration of Sevilla, while the other will stay courtiers and help the TATC prosper, and with it, Hispania.
Sevilla is a rich city full with great potential, and I promise that we will use that potential to make Sevilla the most prosperous in Hispania."

"If I wanted the nobles after my head, I'd gladly accept your request," King Ferran said. "Seeing as I'd prefer them not to hate my guts, I must decline."

((Private))

King Ferran IV had grown tired of the feast. Instead he sneaked away with a pretty brunette he found to practice music in his chambers. He had not played an instrument in quite some time, and only with his wife. Her skill was always lacking. Perhaps this woman would prove to be more experienced.

Once on their own, they moved straight on to musical practice. Ferran offered the woman his lute for her to play. She did not shy away from showing her talent. The woman, who Ferran realized he didn't know the name of, knew just how to pluck the strings to make him shiver with delight. The music she played was far better than anything his wife could produce.

The brunette soon grew tired of playing the lute. Perhaps she was used to a lute of a much bigger size, which required greater talent to play. Ferran tried not to think about that. Instead the woman suggested she show Ferran her skill with a wind instrument. She claimed to be particularly skilled with the flute. Wanting to hear the sweet music she could make, he offered her his own flute.

If this woman was skilled with a lute, she was a virtuoso with a flute. She knew just how to blow into it and where to place her fingers to produce the most pleasant sounds. It was as though an entire symphony played for him. It was hard to contain his excitement.

While Ferran did enjoy the performance, he didn't want it to end before he got to show his skills. The king was not one for the more fanciful instruments like the lute or flute. He much rather preferred percussion, with the drums in particular his favourite. Fortunately for him, the brunette had brought a set along. The woman lay down for his performance and he immediately went to work, banging on the drums provided. He pounded on them with his drumstick, again and again, the woman purring with delight at the pleasant sound. He knew just where to hit to give the desired result each time. The brunette seemed quite impressed by his performance and begged him to do even better. Hit the drums harder and faster, she said. He gladly obliged.

Ferran kept hitting at the drums over and over with an amazing display of stamina. The brunette decided to join in, singing along to the beat in a sultry high-pitched voice. The two harmonized nicely, the woman hitting the perfect high notes as he applied greater force to his drum beats. They continued on like this, a crescendo building up and ready to burst. Soon, in one last burst of energy, Ferran reached the climax of his performance just as the woman hit her highest note yet. Exhausted and completely spent, he put the drums aside and lay down beside the brunette. She seemed quite pleased with his performance and display of musical talent, as he was with hers. However, he could not just remain here. The feast was still going on and he supposed he had to be there when it ended. With a sigh, he cleaned himself up and returned to the feast.

((Public))

JpsioAG.png

Queen Mother Caterina clinked a knife against her class, calling for silence. Once she had drawn the attention of everyone in the room, she said, "I am most satisfied that you all showed up and participated in this feast. It was a fitting tribute to my late husband and to show your appreciation to the king. Unfortunately, the hour grows late and I must call an end to the festivities. Shall you all enjoy happy and prosperous times in the years to come."

Caterina raised her glass in a toast and took a sip. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted Ferran sneaking back into the hall. She had her suspicions about what he had been doing, but she tried not to think about it. Once he was back in his seat, she turned to him and said, "And a toast to our king, Ferran IV."

Ferran seemed a bit bewildered at the toast, but quickly picked up his glass and took a sip. Once he had gained his bearings, he rose from his seat with a smile. "Thank you for all being here. I am fortunate enough to have such loyal and loving subjects. While I have your attention, I also wish to make an announcement. With the chancellor position vacant, it is imperative that it be filled immediately. I have thus chosen my uncle, Prince Marti, to assume the role of chancellor."

Prince Marti rose from his seat and gave a slight bow. "You are most generous, Your Majesty. I will carry out the duties of chancellor to the best of my abilities." As he retook his seat, he made sure to give Caterina a big grin. The queen mother did her best to hide a scowl.

With the feast at an end, the guests began to filter out of the palace to return to their homes. The feast had been a success, but only time would tell if the political dealings to get Prince Marti the position of chancellor would prove to be the best choice.

((If it isn't obvious already, the results of the votes were this:

Chancellor: Marti))

Ferdinant jumped into the books. Maybe he had noble blood somewhere... Interesting. The Kostopoulos family has died off and since his brother(Ferdinant III) was the husband of the last remaining Kostopolous, it made him the inheritant of Athens... But since he had left Aragon and he could be dead, his son would be the inheritant of the county of Athens! But the claim was weak...

He would ask the nobles what they thought of this, if this boy (He's still 17) is noble or not.

To the Cortz of Aragon,

I have found a weak connection that might make my nephew Ferdinant a nobleman, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate enough.

NwejZtk.png

What do you think about this?

- Ferdinant IV de Almeria

((Basically asking for a Cortz vote on the legitimacy of this kid's claim on the countship of Athens.))

Ferdinant jumped into the books. Maybe he had noble blood somewhere... Interesting. The Kostopoulos family has died off and since his brother(Ferdinant III) was the husband of the last remaining Kostopolous, it made him the inheritant of Athens... But since he had left Aragon and he could be dead, his son would be the inheritant of the county of Athens! But the claim was weak...

He would ask the nobles what they thought of this, if this boy (He's still 17) is noble or not.

To the Cortz of Aragon,

I have found a weak connection that might make my nephew Ferdinant a nobleman, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate enough.

NwejZtk.png

What do you think about this?

- Ferdinant IV de Almeria

((Basically asking for a Cortz vote on the legitimacy of this kid's claim on the countship of Athens.))

((It's an interesting case and has some basis, since LordDamien did marry off a daughter to one of the Almerias. This will be brought before the Cortz after the update, which ideally should be posted some time tomorrow, or the following day if I'm running late.))

((Private))

It was the day after the feast and Prince Marti had much to do. He'd had to make several promises to get the position of chancellor and now he had to fulfill them. Some had been dealt with at the feast, mostly the marriage alliances, but he had at least two that required the king's approval. One required just the king's signature, but the other was much trickier. Duke Montségur wanted him to restrict the Inquisition's ability to investigate nobles, which of course was not even remotely related to the powers of the chancellor. All he could do was convince the king to agree to some form of restriction. That was easier said than done.

Marti took a deep breath before entering the king's study. King Ferran IV was lounging in a chair reading a book. The prince cleared his throat to get his attention and walked over when the king beckoned him closer. After stifling a yawn, the king said, "What do you want, Uncle?"

"There are just some matters I need to discuss and papers that must be signed."

Ferran stifled another yawn and rose from his seat, discarding his book on a nearby end-table. "What do I need to sign first?"

Marti guided the king over to his desk and offered him a parchment and quill. He pointed to an empty space near the bottom to sign and said, "It's just a small succession matter regarding a member of court. The man apparently has only a bastard son as his heir and feels the family would be better situated if the king recognized the son as his heir for legal reasons."

"Is that all? What a waste of my time." King Ferran wrote his signature down at the bottom and handed over the parchment. Marti smiled to himself. Miguel Villanova, the court colonist, would be happy to know that his son had been officially recognized by the king as the man's heir. ((There you go @DragonOfAtlantis. Consider your bastard son legitimized.))

"Is there anything else you require of me?" King Ferran said. "I'm a busy man, you know."

Looking over at the book sitting on the end-table, Prince Marti could only imagine how busy the king truly was. Discarding that thought, it was time to broach a more delicate subject. "There is one more thing, Your Majesty. The nobles have grown quite concerned about the Inquisition. They fear that it threatens their rights as nobility."

"And why does that concern me? Can't they just complain to the Church or something?"

Marti could tell already this wasn't going to be easy. "It's not that simple. The Church may be who the Inquisition answers to, but it operates at the Crown's discretion. Perhaps it would be wise to utilize more of your power here."

"Let the Church handle such things."

Marti clenched his jaw and tried his best not to get frustrated. The king's laziness knew no bounds. "Does Your Majesty recall the events of several years ago under your father's reign? The Inquisition called for the investigation of two of the most powerful dukes in the kingdom simply because they favoured a more tolerant approach towards heretics. One was even investigated and no evidence was found of heresy."

The king shrugged and said, "And if they were heretics, we would have caught them there."

Marti rubbed at the bridge of his nose. "Such accusations are considered a great sign of disrespect for the nobility. They feel that their loyalty to not only God but to the Crown is questioned. Nobles who feel that they are being direspected may start questioning their loyalty."

King Ferran gave a faint nod. "I see what you mean, but placing restrictions of the Inquisition may just antagonize the Church instead."

Marti was close to getting through to the king. He also had an ace up his sleeve. Not wanting to be blind at court, he had set up informants to pass him news. One had approached him with word that one of the maids was bragging of having bedded the king during the feast. Marti had noticed the king's absence during most of the feast, but it all clicked into place with that. He'd promptly tracked down the woman and ferried her off to somewhere safe where he could use her when need be.

"Your Majesty," Prince Marti said, "if the Inquisition is willing to go after the most powerful nobles in the kingdom, what is to prevent them from targeting you or a member of the royal family next? Imagine if they learned of some sinful act you had committed, say an extra-marital affair, and used that as an excuse to investigate for heresy. As king you perhaps could avoid persecution, but a scandal would ensue regardless of the results."

The way the king's eyes widened told Marti that he had him. The king stared at him and said, "They wouldn't dare."

"If the Inquisition even suspects you of heresy, why would they not do whatever is possible to prove themselves right?"

King Ferran started to sputter and slammed his fist down on the desk. "I won't let them do it. I'm king! They shall answer to me."

Prince Marti nodded and said, "As it should be, Your Majesty. As it should be." He eventually retreated from the room, a smile on his face. Duke Montségur would be quite pleased once word reach him.

((Public))

JpsioAG.png

His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania & Galicia, and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights, hereby announces that the Inquisition, tasked with eradicating heresy from the kingdom, shall from hereon require the permission of the Crown to conduct an investigation on any member of the nobility.

((Consider this the use of the veto to pass a law without a vote. Basically now if the Inquisition wants to investigate any noble characters, the king must agree to allow the investigation first. Note that this only applies to nobles, not courtiers.))

Reactions:
((Private))

Leon

Hernando returned to his villa outside the city of Leon and found...was that a Castillian in his house? Speaking Castillian? How DARE he!

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" he shouted, brandishing his ancient Roman sword.

Reactions:
Your Illustrious Majesty,

I humbly request the position of the governorship of Tekrur and Wolof for my two sons. They will ease the burden of administration, and allow you to focus on more important matters. They will also increase productivity in their provinces. Congratulations on your Inquisition Law ((Do you congratulate kings for laws?)) by the way.

Sincerely,
Santoros "Abu" Hashem

Your Illustrious Majesty,

I humbly request the position of the governorship of Tekrur and Wolof for my two sons. They will ease the burden of administration, and allow you to focus on more important matters. They will also increase productivity in their provinces. Congratulations on your Inquisition Law ((Do you congratulate kings for laws?)) by the way.

Sincerely,
Santoros "Abu" Hashem

((At the moment roles such as governor are reserved for active characters only, but I'm thinking of reworking how governors works. I'll probably get around to it next week or the week after.))

A first step, a big one. Very well. The nobility answered to the king, not just to the clergy. Prince Marti has held his promise, so he had to hold his own. Hoping that the war would end soon, Montségur allowed the funds. The Chancellor had proven to be a man who holds his word, even if he had not much of a choice in this matter. Still, it was good to see. Montségur went to work again.

Marina screamed. Screamed in frustration and pain - mostly pain. The sweat that poured off her brow stung her eyes and tasted bitter in her mouth; the warm August had made the final weeks of pregnancy insufferable, and now it made child birth that bit more unbearable. Somewhere out of sight the first child began to cry. Marina again pushed with all her might to bring it's sibling into the world. Again the pain ripped through her.

Her chest heaved as she tried to summon the willpower to push again. The midwife offered words of encouragement that Marina ignored, although she did wish the woman would come a little closer - she had a great urge to punch her.

Hours later, the second child had been delivered. Marina, exhausted, mind numb to the world, wanted nothing more than to sleep. Yet there was a third. She felt like giving up, what did it matter if she simply ignored it and left? Or died? Wait no, that wouldn't do. She tried to gather her energy and wits. Just a little more...

2AQpyTG.png

The Count and Countess of Urgell announce the birth of their children, Manuel, Ausiàs and Juana.

1572-1576 – A New Chancellor

With the appointment of Prince Marti, King Ferran IV’s uncle, to the position of chancellor, the power struggle between the clergy and nobility only grew tenser. Now with an ear to the king, Marti paid back the nobility who had supported him by convincing King Ferran to place restrictions on the Inquisition and its ability to investigate nobles. The implications of this were quite obvious: the Inquisition answered to the Crown and the nobility now stood above the clergy. The nobles were quite pleased with this income, but the clergy surely were not. At least the clergy were not being interfered with in their official missionary duties, which were going better than ever.

The new chancellor immediately went to work, feeling out various diplomatic connections with other nations and establishing policies for some of Europe’s strongest powers. Portugal would only be faced with hostility. Queen Isabel might not have been pleased with that, but there was little she could do now that she had put her support behind the prince. As an answer to the deterioration of relations with the French, Prince Marti sought out their traditional enemy, the British, and expressed a wish for positive relations. The two kingdoms may have conflicted in the past, but almost solely as a result of France. Perhaps relations could be repaired. Marti also showed a willingness to cooperate with Austria, the current Emperor, and Bohemia. The Papal State was also shown a similar attitude. In response to North African aggression, Morocco and Tunis would only be met with hostility from now on.

Venice, once a former ally and then a dangerous rival, had since fallen in status. There had been fear of a conflict for decades, but nothing ever materialized. No one really thought of Venice as a rival anymore. Truly there were very few powers that could threaten Hispania. At the moment, Lithuania’s major expansions in the east were a bit worrisome for Byzantium and that kingdom had declared they considered Hispania a rival, so the feelings were made mutual.

Cardinal Cassano Velazquez, as Representative to the Knights, arranged for the end of military support from the Knights during wars, although in exchange they would contribute funds for the development of their holdings. Calling on a holy order of knights for military support outside of crusades did seem a bit much, after all.

The final order of business was the demolition of the fort in Corsica. As a small island, the fort’s ability to protect the region was minimal and cost more than it was worth. It would be better for the navy to be tasked with protecting the island. Over in Sardinia, more specifically Cagliari, the region had been growing and there was now room for further infrastructure. A new shipyard, as required by the Strategic Island Act, was constructed to improve Hispania’s shipbuilding industry.

Some of the lesser nobility had been pushing for positions at court, specifically ceremonial ones that gave them greater access to the king. Such things were a good way to keep an eye on the nobles, but having a bunch of nobles attending the king all the time was costly and a bit of a nuisance. While Ferran IV did enjoy the nobles being there to do tasks for him, he also grew quite impatient with their constant need to be around him. These ceremonies were cut down in number, although not removed entirely.

Conquistador Hernando Francisco de Leon returned to the New World and soon met a tribe that seemed vaguely familiar. Hadn’t he encountered like a dozen tribes separating men and women? Either way, he went with the diplomatic approach this time.

Efforts to colonize the island of Fernando Po came to fruition as the colony became self-sustaining. No new colonial efforts were started up, and there was rumours this was to ensure there was the necessary resources and funds to maintain any stolen Portuguese colonies.

Armies had been shipped about, with four entire armies placed in Iberia. The fifth started its journey to Guantanamo where it could launch an assault on Portugal’s colonies.

Improvements were made to the cultivation of land. New methods of drainage allowed for previously unsettled land to be opened up to be used for either farmland or urban areas. Of course this required such men willing to work such land. Many merchants in Hispania were growing complacent with the seeming lack of competition and were not bringing in as much money as before. The treasury suddenly found itself in the red, but a month of cut spending to the army and navy allowed for the treasury to recover without taking out a loan. ((I dropped army and fleet maintenance to zero and we had enough of a surplus to get out of the hole.))

At the start of November, France managed to settle a peace with Burgundy, taking their remaining provinces on France’s eastern border. The end of that war also brought a surprising change to Franco-Hispanian relations. Hostilities practically died down overnight. Apparently with their new conquests, their desire to take Provence and the Baleares had died down. Chancellor Marti wasn’t entirely sure what sparked the change, but it solved his problem on what to do about the French. He just hoped the thaw would last.

The forts in Iberia were manned and the armies moved to the Portuguese border. Once everything was in place, the declaration was sent. Portugal had no allies and was about to face the wrath of Hispania all alone.

The four armies in Iberia immediately moved over into the border provinces. The timing was almost perfect, for the Portuguese had just completed a fort in Braganca, but had not had the time to properly garrison it. Taking it was going to be a much easier task and greatly hinder Portugal once it was under Hispania’s control.

While Hispania moved on Portugal, a Moroccan spy was caught in Cadiz trying to fabricate a claim. The heathen spy was executed as a lesson to Morocco to stay out of Hispanian affairs.

Wool from Nueva Granada was becoming a highly desired product. Viceroy Santiago Aybar took advantage of that trend and ensured such goods were properly taxed. Perhaps the colonial government didn’t approve, but it brought in greater wealth to Hispania.

Beira, Algarve, and Alentejo all fell within a few days of each other in February of 1573. General Wolfgang Oliver Lübecker led two armies on Lisboa in hopes of taking the Portuguese capital. General Francesc Gabriel Gerard Miquel Bernat de Loarre marched north to aid with the siege of Braganca, but General Cesar Miguel de Montcada managed to capture the fort before he even arrived. Instead the two focused on trying to ensure the Portuguese army of 14k men didn’t move into either Galicia or Hispania.

Down in Africa, the natives of Gabon had shown a greater acceptance of the colonists. Perhaps the policy of coexistence was paying off. Some had even shown a willingness to hear the word of God. That boded well for the future of these primitive heathens.

Coimbra fell in May, coinciding with Hispania’s control of the sugar trade. With only the capital free in Iberia, the Portuguese army could be dealt with. An assault was launched by Generals Loarre and Montcada. The Portuguese were outnumbered and trapped against the captured fort. They attempted to run, but their options were limited. They were hunted down in Beira and forced to surrender. Portugal’s army was defeated.

Over in the Caribbean, General Niccolo Limmona had free reign to rampage through Hispaniola. He first landed in the tiny colony of Les Cayes. Due to the tiny population, the Portuguese there were at his mercy. The colony was seized and the colonist in Gabon ordered to head for Les Cayes to keep the population in line.

Even as Hispania focused on war with its neighbour, a council of cardinals was convened in Linz in Austria to debate on how to best handle this Protestant movement. A consensus was reached that certain reforms should be adopted, such as an end to absentee bishops and the excesses of some clergy, without compromising the Catholic faith itself. The Counter-Reformation had begun. ((We can now embrace the Counter-Reformation. I’ll include a screenshot of it later.))

By June, General Limmona had managed to seize the Portuguese colony of Tortuga. Colonist Miguel Villanova was recalled from Guantanamo to help bring the Portuguese colony under control. Ideally they would start embracing the Hispanian way. The cost of maintaining four colonies at once put serious strain on the economy, but the deficit was only minor. It was hoped that the colonies could be completed quickly, so the problem should only be temporary.

With the Portuguese crippled by the war, Hispania’s dominance in West Africa flourished. The Trans-Atlantic Trade Company was raking in the cash.

October brought further trouble in Africa as Jolofian Separatists rebelled in Wolof. That decision proved to be a major mistake, for the African army was patrolling the region at the time. The rebels were defeated and forced to scatter. The locals would think twice before rebelling again.

Limmona was able to capture all of Hispaniola and moved on to the Turks & Caicos. The island chain would end up being the last Portuguese province that needed capturing, for Lisboa was taken at the end of October. This forced the Portuguese navy into the Hispania galley fleet sitting outside the port. The galleys were not suited for the harsh waters of the Atlantic, but they had over twice the numbers of the Portuguese and were better led with Admiral Juan de Porcelli in charge. Three galleys were lost, but the Portuguese lost their entire navy. Three replacement galleys were immediately placed under construction in Sicily.

With the enemy threat all but gone, all forts were mothballed and the fleet recalled to port. When the Turks Islands fell in December, Portugal’s fate was sealed. Limmona made his way home as negotiations for peace were made. Chancellor Marti was given full power to decide a peace, since King Ferran thought it was too much work. He fully intended to take as many Iberian provinces as he could. However, he believed it may be too difficult to govern so many rebellious Portuguese. Thus he arranged for the Duke of Galicia to be granted control of two Portuguese provinces, while the south went to Hispania, leaving only two on the coast. With Portugal reduced to a nub state, he proceeded to demand the rest of Hispaniola to secure the island. With that peace settled, efforts were first placed on integrating the Iberian provinces. At least Corsica, the island taken from the last war, had accepted Hispanian rule.

Genoa’s presence near the Mamluks was proving a problem. Apparently the Muslims had started stealing ideas from the Genoese and were attempting to reform their country to fit the European ways. Surely this would make them an even greater threat.

The Portuguese took their loss in stride, already working on colonies elsewhere in the Bahamas.

The king continued his policy of letting the Council do most everything. It was much easier to remain in ignorance and receive some quality peace and quiet.

With a peace settled and the treasury filling up, Steward François de Montségur continued on with his predecessor’s plan by building a barracks in Athens. Although a distant memory, the Greek Rebellion was a good reminder of the importance of Athens and why it needed a strong military presence

Tortuga proved easy to colonize after taking it from the Portuguese. By November of 1574 it was already self-sustaining and had abandoned its Portuguese roots. Colonist Miguel Villanova returned to Guantanamo to complete the colony there.

Conquistador Leon encountered a lake that the locals claimed was the home of a deadly spirit. Not particularly in the mood to cross the water, he and his expedition opted to circle around.

A new design of fort was shown to the court known as the Tenaille or Bastion. It featured a star shape that was better suited for close-range defence. Perhaps some of the forts within Hispania could be upgraded with this feature.

Beira was the first Portuguese province to be brought under control. Just around the time that happened, it was discovered that the Poles had decided that maintaining friendly relations with Hispania was optimal. Perhaps a mutual hostility towards the Mamluks and Hungary helped with that. Either way, Chancellor Marti returned the favour.

Great Britain achieved a victory against Scotland, further laying claim to the Isles. Scotland was hanging on by a thread.

The colony in Les Cayes completed in September of 1575, securing all of Hispaniola. The Portuguese colonies taken on the eastern side had yet to be properly administered, but that would come in time. For now, the colonist moved south down to Tandil to created a colony near Montevideo.

Steward Montségur finished his predecessor’s plan for barracks by constructing them in Cantabria, Castilla La Vieja, and La Mancha. A temple was also built in Asturias to appease the clergy. However the most significant action of his was his attempt to unify the administration of Malta with that in Sicily. The people of Malta were host to a sect of the Knights and had never truly associated with the Sicilians. By joining them together, perhaps their shared association would make administration a bit easier.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania & Galicia, and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights.

So we managed to beat the Portuguese again? Good work everyone. I barely even realized there was a war going on. You know, since I was so busy with my kingly duties and such. Yeah, so… same time next year?

((Good thing the king is lazy because it becomes difficult to think up something new to say every time. :p We have several things to do. First, ministers should post their plans and anyone may present a potential law. Seeing as we will have a new colonial nation in a year or two, feel free to suggest names and we’ll hold a vote on that later. We may also embrace the Counter-Reformation if anyone wants that. You all have until Tuesday at 12pm PST to do that.

The Cortz also has some special things to do. They need to appoint a Chamberlain from amongst the nobility and consider this claim by Ferdinant IV (@ThePatriotOfDreumel) to the county of Athens. @alscon, @Dadarian, and @Luftwafer are the only ones that may vote on this. They have until the deadline mentioned earlier.

Ferdinant’s Claim: Yes/No/Abstain

))

Reactions:
"...and we shall drive the heretics out of Europe!"

The assembled bishops and cardinals clapped as Velazquez finished his speech. The Iron Cardinal was ancient but his old fire had not left him.

The Church had finally listened to him. It was time to fight back against the heretics and embrace a counter-reformation.

But he would have to start at home...

((no cardinal de soneta then mike? :( ))

JpsioAG.png

I am glad to announce that the Papacy has informed me that Juan II de Soneta has been promoted to the rank of cardinal. May he bring words of wisdom to the Holy See and represent Hispania's interests in Rome.

- His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania & Galicia, and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

Your Majesty,
The Grandmaster plan shall stay the same.
I also wish to propose that TATC is given a monopoly in the region of Colombia.
I would also like to rename the colony of Cape to Cabo Ferran.
Auguste de Saint-Pierre,
Head of Trans-Atlantic Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon

((Private with @DragonOfAtlantis))

Dear Miguel Villanova,
You have served TPTC and TATC loyaly for many years. That is why I wish to invite you to the company's council. It is the biggest honour that a member of this company can have. You will be able to decide on the most important matters concerning this company.
Auguste de Saint-Pierre

((As for the name I once again propose Nueva Carthago))

((I again propose Leonia for the name.))