• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, he was born in around 1565, your highness, if that is desirable.

((Private - @zenphoenix))

Prince Marti smiled to himself. It looked like most of his daughters would be betrothed by the end of the day. "Ah, well, that is good then. My daughter Núria is just two years his senior. She would make a fine match for your son. I hope such an arrangement suits you and encourages cooperate between our two families. I'm sure once she grows up a little, she'll be thrilled to know she shall be married into a family renowned for its conquistadors."

Marti chatted long enough with Hernando Francisco de Leon to finalize any agreement. ((If you wish your son to be betrothed to Núria de Trastámara, consider it done. She was born in 1563, to make it more clear. If you give me the name of the son, I can add him to the royal family tree. ;)))

((Private - @ML8991))

Now it was time to finalize arrangements with some of the other nobles he had spoken to. He sought out Archbishop Soneta to finalize a marital alliance. When he finally found the man, he said, "I have been thinking about your request to marry one of your nephews to a daughter of mine. I believe my daughter Candela may be a suitable match for the boy. She is but three years his senior. I would hope such a pairing is suitable and will encourage our two families to work together in the near future."

As he had done before, he exchanged pleasantries with the archbishop and ensured any agreement was finalized before moving on. ((Candela de Trastámara was born in 1567, so you can add her to your family tree. I'll need a name for your nephew to add him to the royal one.))

((Private - @Keinwyn))

Prince Marti was shuffling around the room, speaking with everyone he could, until he finally found the young Marina Sastre. He gave a polite bow and said, "I have thought more on your suggestion of a union between our two families. It is fortunate that I have a boy and a girl who are just two years old. If you are soon blessed with a child, I believe such a proposed union could be easily arranged."

He exchanged polite chatter with the woman to finalize things before he was pulled away by another guest. ((Seeing as you suggested you will have a child soon, assume one of the two triplets will betrothed to yours.))

((Private talk with Prince Martí @Michaelangelo))

"Hõla, senõr Martí! I wanted to talk about your plan as Chancellor of the nation. I would like to conquer Portugal too, but I also want the colonies for trade. If you make this change to your plans, you will have my full support. Perhaps we could conquer the Portuguese coast and islands, and then take their colonies..."

((Private @Keinwyn ))

None of the candidates seem to really wants the trade the way I want it.

I want Portugal and their colonies both conquered. None of the candidates actually seems to say this...

If you can convince Prince Martí to do that, I'll vote for him.

Marina shrugs.

Sometimes one cannot get everything one wants in life.

She imagines the people things she cannot have.

It is often simply a matter of choosing the lesser evil.

((Private talk with Prince Martí @Michaelangelo))

"Hõla, senõr Martí! I wanted to talk about your plan as Chancellor of the nation. I would like to conquer Portugal too, but I also want the colonies for trade. If you make this change to your plans, you will have my full support. Perhaps we could conquer the Portuguese coast and islands, and then take their colonies..."

"Ah, I see my plans have been misinterpreted. I am not opposed to taking Portugal's colonies. I merely think we should focus on their Iberian provinces first, for that is where we must hit to weaken them the most. It would be unwise to conquer all of Portugal right now, seeing as such aggressive actions may anger our neighbours. It is also unlikely we could manage to force them to agree to such a peace either."

((Basically warscore will most likely keep us from annexing them entirely. Marti's plan is to conquer the Iberian provinces first and then the colonies, while Caterina's is the colonies first and then the Iberian provinces.))

((Private - @zenphoenix))

Prince Marti smiled to himself. It looked like most of his daughters would be betrothed by the end of the day. "Ah, well, that is good then. My daughter Núria is just two years his senior. She would make a fine match for your son. I hope such an arrangement suits you and encourages cooperate between our two families. I'm sure once she grows up a little, she'll be thrilled to know she shall be married into a family renowned for its conquistadors."

Marti chatted long enough with Hernando Francisco de Leon to finalize any agreement. ((If you wish your son to be betrothed to Núria de Trastámara, consider it done. She was born in 1563, to make it more clear. If you give me the name of the son, I can add him to the royal family tree. ;)))
((His name is Alfonso.))

"Ah, I see my plans have been misinterpreted. I am not opposed to taking Portugal's colonies. I merely think we should focus on their Iberian provinces first, for that is where we must hit to weaken them the most. It would be unwise to conquer all of Portugal right now, seeing as such aggressive actions may anger our neighbours. It is also unlikely we could manage to force them to agree to such a peace either."

((Basically warscore will most likely keep us from annexing them entirely. Marti's plan is to conquer the Iberian provinces first and then the colonies, while Caterina's is the colonies first and then the Iberian provinces.))
"Hmm. I'll vote for you then. Your plans may not be perfect, but I fear Catarina might be going to do extreme things to revive the relations with France..."

((I'm changing my vote to:

Chancellor: Marti

[Courtier, Merchant, Monopoly VP))

Last edited:
((the child is called Ferran Raphael Petre de Soneta, born 21st April 1570 mike. On another note just want to aplogize to you, and everybody else, that i am not on the IRC recently, with this big ball on it would have been useful to be on. But i'm having some flash issues, so can't access it atm, am trying in earnst to resolve this however, and hopefully i'll be on by week's end))

Vote
Chancellor: Prince Martí

Archbishop Juan II of Zaragoza

Marina returns to Queen Isabel's side.

How goes your evening, Majesty?

Queen Isabel pouted a bit as her lady-in-waiting returned to her side. She had shared some polite conversation with others, but no one seemed interested in speaking with her, especially about her ideas for Hispania's foreign policy. Was everyone so intent on war with Portugal? Perhaps she had underestimated the hostility between the two kingdoms.

The queen turned to Marina with a sigh. "I feel as though I have misjudged the court's opinion on Portugal. I suppose growing up in Castile left me with a fondness for the Portuguese that has long since died here. I suppose it can't be helped that everyone is so stuck in their ways."

Isabel fanned herself with a lace fan she carried with her. She scanned the crowd and frowned. "Marina, dear, have you seen my husband? He seems to have wandered off. Probably went looking for a place to nap." The queen rolled her eyes and continued to fan herself.

Vote:
Chancellor: Marti

~(Sir?) Hernando Francisco de Leon [unlanded noble]

((private with Queen Mother Catherina))

Montségur produced a faint smile. 'If that is how things have to be... Yet I wonder that you are so keen on taking the colonies for the reason of denying the Portuguese the chance to gain a papal claim. I thought Your Majesty wanted to leave the matters of the church in the hands of the church? Surely the pope, being neither Hispanian nor Portuguese, has no political goal in mind when he accords such claims. If you interfere with ecclesiastical matters when they concern the pope, then you also have to interfere within the kingdom... The nobility would profit from the diet, but if political decisions are worth more than papal ones, then I don't see why the Inquisition as clergy should be able to judge over a noble. Only the King and the Cortz should have that privilege then.' He made a pause to let that sink in.
He went on, clearly articulating and weighing each word carefully. 'The clergy will not pay for any war. And I cannot recount how much the inquisition damages the economy. I don't know how we should be able to pay our soldiers if the funds are not available. I'll leave you some time to think about it, Your Majesty.' He excused himself.

((private with Prince Marti))

The administrative reform was a good idea. It gave Montségur a much better position, and with King Ferran preferring to delegate his duties, much could be achieved.
'Your Highness, I hear that you plan to wage war on Portugal. A commendable initiative for the economy, if it is successful. Certainly. But how about the cost of the war itself? Can the economy sustain such an aggressive act, condemned by the pope if he, what is likely, accords Portugal a claim on the Caribbean with the very goal to avoid bloodshed within Catholic nations? Probably. But that act will upset the clergy, and they will look to enforce the papal will in another way. With their powerful tool, the inquisition. How can the kingdom continue to work if the inquisition investigates, imprisons, burns people vital for its economy and administration? They know that, and will use it to prevent a successful war, if not in this conflict, then in the next. It is time to put a stop to this. The inquisition needs to be controlled not just by clergy, but by the royal administration as well, given the final authority in any investigation. I cannot otherwise allow the soldiers to fight if their homeland may be in internal strife, maybe needing extreme measures to keep clear of the ruin. I ask you to consider this point. Defence is different from offence, the clergy from the nobility.'

He retreated to a point from which he could observe the feast, and awaited an answer from the Chancellor candidates.

Queen Isabel pouted a bit as her lady-in-waiting returned to her side. She had shared some polite conversation with others, but no one seemed interested in speaking with her, especially about her ideas for Hispania's foreign policy. Was everyone so intent on war with Portugal? Perhaps she had underestimated the hostility between the two kingdoms.

The queen turned to Marina with a sigh. "I feel as though I have misjudged the court's opinion on Portugal. I suppose growing up in Castile left me with a fondness for the Portuguese that has long since died here. I suppose it can't be helped that everyone is so stuck in their ways."

Isabel fanned herself with a lace fan she carried with her. She scanned the crowd and frowned. "Marina, dear, have you seen my husband? He seems to have wandered off. Probably went looking for a place to nap." The queen rolled her eyes and continued to fan herself.

Marina offers her a consolatory smile.

It's a shame, Majesty; I believe you have quite accurately judged the French situation. It seems to me they have become our natural rivals, surely both nations are interested in Italy? Forgive me if it is not my place to say, but perhaps your majesty could consider allying with the prince? He too seems to be aware of the French threat, and together I am sure you can trounce the Queen Dowager. Should she be removed from court, you alone would have unfettered access to the King...

Queen Mother Caterina had been keeping a close eye on Prince Marti. Her informants kept whispering news of the prince's conversations with the other guests. It seemed the man was making full use of his family by marrying off his daughters to win support. A shrewd plan and one she could not replicate. She supposed she could try marrying off her grandsons, but her children may object to such interference. She could only offer promises, and perhaps a bribe or two if she was truly desperate. The Medici pockets ran very deep.

As Caterina took a sip of wine, Prince Marti approached with a grin on his face. After gulping down the drink, she said, "Come to tell me you handed off another of your daughters like a common whore?"

The queen mother had expected the prince to be offended by her comment, but he just chuckled. "I am merely strengthening the Trastámara family's ties to the nobility," Marti said. "Actually I came to inform you that I have spoken to Chloe, your daughter-in-law, and she has agreed to a marriage between my eldest daughter Marta and her son Alfons."

Caterina had been taking another sip but she ended up almost choking on it at that news. Half the liquid went down the wrong way and the rest spat out from her mouth. She quickly wiped it away with her sleeve before anyone else saw. "I did not authorize such a match."

"And why should you have?" Marti said with a mischievous grin. "Chloe is the mother, not you."

"Chloe is not a Trastámara and has no say on who her children marry, especially when Alfons is second in line for the throne," Caterina spat out. "Just because my poor Enric is gone does not mean she now calls the shots. I will have to have a word with her."

As Caterina stormed past Marti, he gently grabbed her by the shoulder and turned her back towards him. "I would advise against trying to prevent this marriage. I believe dear Chloe is already spreading word of it. Imagine the scandal if a member of the Trastámara family was denied a match within their own family."

Caterina fumed silently, unable to respond. Marti was right; there was nothing she could do. Once her anger had subsided enough, she said, "You've won this time, but I won't forget this."

((private with Queen Mother Catherina))

Montségur produced a faint smile. 'If that is how things have to be... Yet I wonder that you are so keen on taking the colonies for the reason of denying the Portuguese the chance to gain a papal claim. I thought Your Majesty wanted to leave the matters of the church in the hands of the church? Surely the pope, being neither Hispanian nor Portuguese, has no political goal in mind when he accords such claims. If you interfere with ecclesiastical matters when they concern the pope, then you also have to interfere within the kingdom... The nobility would profit from the diet, but if political decisions are worth more than papal ones, then I don't see why the Inquisition as clergy should be able to judge over a noble. Only the King and the Cortz should have that privilege then.' He made a pause to let that sink in.
He went on, clearly articulating and weighing each word carefully. 'The clergy will not pay for any war. And I cannot recount how much the inquisition damages the economy. I don't know how we should be able to pay our soldiers if the funds are not available. I'll leave you some time to think about it, Your Majesty.' He excused himself.

As the queen mother stormed off, she nearly ran into Duke Montségur. She apologized for the near collision and remembered the earlier conversation she had had with him. Perhaps this was time to win another ally.

"I have thought on what you said earlier. It is true that the Pope would not let political goals interfere with granting claims to the Caribbean. However, that is the exact reason why we should act now. The Pope will favour the Portuguese, even if that harms Hispania's growing colony in the region, because he must remain neutral. If we were to take the colonies, the Pope would logically have to recognize us as the best suited to dominate the Caribbean and recognize our claims instead."

Caterina had to think more heavily about how to handle the Inquisition. She could not expect the support of the clergy while simultaneously weakening them. She'd answer as carefully as possible. "It is true that the nobility should perhaps be judged by the Cortz when it comes to legal and criminal disputes. The Inquisition though is tasked with rooting out heretics. Does it not make more sense for members of the Church to judge whether or not someone is a heretic than the nobility? Putting the nobles above the Church in regards to religious affairs may well anger the Pope, or worse, God. The Inquisition's methods may be a tad extreme at times, but sometimes it is necessary. Perhaps a reform could be suggested instead?"

The queen mother hoped she had been convincing enough. Before she could speak more, a servant approached her to inform her that there had been a mishap with one of the desserts. She quickly excused herself to ensure the feast continued smoothly.

((private with Prince Marti))

The administrative reform was a good idea. It gave Montségur a much better position, and with King Ferran preferring to delegate his duties, much could be achieved.
'Your Highness, I hear that you plan to wage war on Portugal. A commendable initiative for the economy, if it is successful. Certainly. But how about the cost of the war itself? Can the economy sustain such an aggressive act, condemned by the pope if he, what is likely, accords Portugal a claim on the Caribbean with the very goal to avoid bloodshed within Catholic nations? Probably. But that act will upset the clergy, and they will look to enforce the papal will in another way. With their powerful tool, the inquisition. How can the kingdom continue to work if the inquisition investigates, imprisons, burns people vital for its economy and administration? They know that, and will use it to prevent a successful war, if not in this conflict, then in the next. It is time to put a stop to this. The inquisition needs to be controlled not just by clergy, but by the royal administration as well, given the final authority in any investigation. I cannot otherwise allow the soldiers to fight if their homeland may be in internal strife, maybe needing extreme measures to keep clear of the ruin. I ask you to consider this point. Defence is different from offence, the clergy from the nobility.'

Once the queen mother had shuffled away, Prince Marti swooped in. It wasn't beneath him to undermine any potential support of Caterina.

"Ah, Duke Montségur, I had been meaning to speak with you about what you said earlier," Marti said. "I agree that the Inquisition has been turned into a dangerous organization. It more inspires fear through the threat of persecution than encouraging others to willingly embrace the true faith. Perhaps you are right that the Inquisition should be more heavily monitored by the Crown. I would certainly support any measure to contain it before it starts a witch-hunt."

Marina offers her a consolatory smile.

It's a shame, Majesty; I believe you have quite accurately judged the French situation. It seems to me they have become our natural rivals, surely both nations are interested in Italy? Forgive me if it is not my place to say, but perhaps your majesty could consider allying with the prince? He too seems to be aware of the French threat, and together I am sure you can trounce the Queen Dowager. Should she be removed from court, you alone would have unfettered access to the King...

Queen Isabel tried her best to hide the grin ready to spread across her face. She had not thought of that. Her views on Portugal differed from everyone else, but she shared similar views on France with Prince Marti. Better yet, the prince was a virtual unknown. He had not been at court for a long time, and it seemed he was not on the best of terms with the queen mother. Perhaps an alliance would work best. She might be able to take advantage of his lack of court connections to strengthen her own position, while also simultaneously weakening Caterina's. If the queen mother became chancellor, she'd do everything in her power to keep Isabel from whispering ideas in her husband's ear. Yes, that may be for best.

Without a word to her lady-in-waiting, she made her way over to Prince Marti, who was speaking with another noble. She gently tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, but may I have a moment?"

The prince raised an eyebrow, but turned his attention back to Duke Montségur and excused himself from the conversation. When the two were alone and off to the side, he said, "What do you need, Your Majesty?"

"I believe that in the best interests of Hispania, I shall voice my support for you as chancellor to my dear husband," Isabel said.

"I thought you had your eye on that position as well."

The corner of Isabel's lips curled up into a smile. "Perhaps, but as I said, I believe you would make the better choice. We cannot deny that relations with France are going downhill and we must be prepared for the worst. It is also good for one to have allies at court, wouldn't you say?"

Marti bowed to her and said, "Indeed. I welcome the support, Your Majesty. Shall this only lead to further cooperation in the future."

"Let us hope so," Queen Isabel said before excusing herself.

Count de Alvaro walked around, chatting with the other guests when he ran into Prince Marti, who had just finished speaking with Queen Isabel.

((Private with Prince Marti))
"Ah, my Prince, I have been meaning to speak to you. I talked to the Queen Mother before about supporting her claim for chanchellor, but...
I have been thinking, and I would like to support you, Prince Marti, instead. The threat of Portugal is far too real, and without a strong mother country, the colonies will be ripe for the taking."
"What do you say my Prince?"

Count de Alvaro walked around, chatting with the other guests when he ran into Prince Marti, who had just finished speaking with Queen Isabel.

((Private with Prince Marti))
"Ah, my Prince, I have been meaning to speak to you. I talked to the Queen Mother before about supporting her claim for chanchellor, but...
I have been thinking, and I would like to support you, Prince Marti, instead. The threat of Portugal is far too real, and without a strong mother country, the colonies will be ripe for the taking."
"What do you say my Prince?"

"Your support is most appreciated," Marti said. "We shall certainly take down Portugal a notch together."

Santiago, having fully recovered from his sickness, decided to attend the feast. He had no trouble with the guard at the gate, which surprised Santiago greatly. As he waltzed in with a smile on his face and a spring in his step due to the fact that his wife was pregnant, Santiago was accosted with constant murmurs of candidates for the position of Chancellor. There was talk of little else at the ball. He was still gathering information about the different people vying for the position when suddenly a messenger burst into the room.
"Santiago Aybar!" huffed the courier,
"Yes, what is that you require?" responded Santiago
"Your wife," stammered the courier nervously, "She has given birth to a baby boy!"
S: "It sounds like something else happened! Is the boy alright? Does he have a deformation?"
C: "No, sir, even worse. Your wife has passed."
Santiago starts to cry, grief stricken by this awful news. At this point, those attending the ball see the commotion and start to murmur about it. In a loud voice, Santiago announces the news
S: "My wife has passed away giving birth to a baby boy. I am afraid I must leave to attend to matters regarding this tragedy. Therefore, I abstain from any selection for chancellor."
Santiago quickly departs, with tears streaking down his face.

Santoros then talked to Queen Mother Caterina.
"I had originally supported someone else for the position of Chancellor, but more information has come to mind. If I had the county of Cordoba, perhaps I might vote for you?"

((Can we have a tally of the votes so far?))

Santoros then talked to Queen Mother Caterina.
"I had originally supported someone else for the position of Chancellor, but more information has come to mind. If I had the county of Cordoba, perhaps I might vote for you?"

((Can we have a tally of the votes so far?))

"A very brash request for a commoner to request a noble title," Queen Mother Caterina said. She smiled to herself, for she could surely sympathize. "Then again, I was not born a noble either and I can certainly understand the allure. I can say with certainty that the king is unlikely to grant such a title to someone not of noble blood, not unless of course you do something significant enough to warrant it. Perhaps you should consider serving on the Council or joining the army or navy. Such an action may draw the king's attention. I can only whisper in his ear and encourage the decision to grant you a title."

((I can't give an official tally of the votes since with the new estate mechanics and the class bonus that comes with it, I won't know the total VP until the vote is closed. I can say that it's very obvious that Marti is winning.))