• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My King,
I write to you, because I wish to present my ministry plan.

I think the new merchants should be placed in Genoa and in Brazil. The rest of the plan shall stay the same.
Auguste de Saint-Pierre,
Head of TATC, Grandmaster of Aragon

((Okay, I did some work on mechanics and made a few changes and added some thing. Firehound suggested a mechanic that allows players to convert provinces and I agreed to it. Due to our location in Iberia, we are unlikely to see a lot of heretical provinces popping up, which might deter players from playing as heretics. There is also the fact that we could have almost entirely heretic players and no heretic provinces, which is biased against them. This gives them a chance to spread heresy. Here is the mechanic I devised:

Players also have the option to attempt to convert provinces to a religion other than the state religion. Any character that is a heretic or heathen may attempt to convert the people of any province, but those following the state religion must rely on the in-game missionaries. Players may only convert provinces to their own faith, provided they follow an in-game religion, or convert provinces to the religion closest to their own if they follow a religion not in the game. There is a base chance of success and discovery with modifiers that will be mentioned below. If a player is caught trying to convert a province, they may be prosecuted by the Inquisition. If a province is successfully converted, it cannot be converted back to the state religion for 10 years due to religious zeal.

The base chance of converting a province is 5% and the base chance of being discovered is 45%. Each point of VP a player has increases these odds by 5%, so a player with more VP is more likely to succeed or get caught. All clergy get an extra 10% added to their base chance of success. If the player is the count/duke or archbishop/cardinal of the province being converted, their chance of success is doubled. A player may only attempt to convert one province once per turn. It is recommended that a player with a secret faith request a province conversion attempt by PM to avoid revealing their true faith.

I've also, as a result, modified the religious reforms to represent this new mechanic. You may notice that I removed one reform. I felt six was too much and condensed the third and fourth together.

Recognition by the Crown – The heresy is recognized by the king, although that does not mean it won’t face discrimination. Heretics still have their VP penalized fully, although they can no longer be persecuted by the Inquisition.

Revision of Religious Laws – The laws concerning religion are made more accommodating to the heresy. The penalty for controlling a province with the heresy is removed. The state religion is still promoted, so heretic provinces can be subjected to conversion.

Anti-Discrimination Laws – Heretics can no longer be unfairly treated under the law. The penalty to heretic voting power is removed and heretics may now serve on the Council. This does not guarantee positions if the king is pious. Heretics may no longer be persecuted by the Inquisition for converting provinces. The state religion is still promoted, so heretic provinces can be subjected to conversion.

Equal Status – The heresy is given equal status, although it is not an official state religion. Missionaries can no longer convert provinces of that faith and heretics are more likely to be given council positions.

State Religion – The heresy becomes the new state religion, supplanting the old one and putting it under equal status. Cannot be passed while Aragon is the papal controller. Requires a 2/3rds majority, unlike earlier reforms.

I've also adjusted the coup system. Having the chance to start a coup after the revolt risk became positive was fairly arbitrary, since why should a coup be likely to happen at +0.1 RR and not -0.1 RR? I've instead made it so that coups may be started whenever, but that revolt risk will impact the votes needed for success. The lower the revolt risk, the more votes needed to succeed. Positive revolt risk lowers the votes required, although this can never drop below a required 50%.

Any player may call a coup, although the goals and timing are limited. A coup may be attempted at any time, but the chance of success is impacted by revolt risk. For every 0.1 point of revolt risk below zero, the number of votes required increases by 1%. Conversely, every 0.1 point of revolt risk above zero lowers the number of votes required by 1%. The number of votes required for any coup cannot ever drop below 50%, no matter how high revolt risk is. Any player who wishes to start a coup simply states in the thread that they’re starting the coup and what the goal is. All players then must choose whether they side with the coup forces or the government. The votes required for success depend on the goal. If successful, the resulting changes are immediately carried out. If the coup is of a violent nature, loyalists may be apprehended or killed. If it fails, a vote will be held where the loyalists decide the fate of the participants of the coup. A coup aiming for the abdication of the king is a bit special though. Every time the king breaks any rules restricting his power, for example using his veto twice in a turn, it counts as +1 to revolt risk for the rest of his reign, but only towards an abdication coup.

Hopefully these changes make the iAAR more interesting. I'm always up for suggestions and will try my best to make any changes that make this iAAR function better. :)))

Reactions:
To the esteemed Lords of the Kingdom of Hispania,

I would like to implore you to reject the Count of Athens' "Proposal for the Missionary Order of the Jesuits in the Kingdom of Hispania". The leader of a religious order should be elected by his peers based upon merit and devotion to the faith, rather than ancestry, as suggested by Point 2. Thankfully, the Duc d'Elx provides a suitable alternative. The tenets and goals of the Brotherhood of the Sacred Heart are similar to that of the proposed Society of Jesus, and the fledgeling Society would have access to the Brotherhood's network of resources and personnel. As such, I am in favour of the Duc's motion.

On to more pressing matters, I stand vehemently opposed to the "Tolerance Law" introduced by Ferdinant II de Almeria. Legitimizing the dangerous heretical sect known as the "Lucrezians" will only serve to destabilize our great Kingdom. In addition, I would like to suggest that the Inquisition be mandated to perform a formal investigation into the activities of de Almeria, lest we allow a traitor and heretic to remain in our midst. Vile heresies shall not overrun the realm.

Deus vult!

-- the Most Reverend Archbishop of Athens, Vlasis Kokinos

((I'd like to mention that the leader of the RL Jesuits is titled "Superior General" rather than "Grandmaster".)

Reactions:
In addition, I would like to suggest that the Inquisition be mandated to perform a formal investigation into the activities of de Almeria, lest we allow a traitor and heretic to remain in our midst.

((I was wondering when an investigation would be called. :p All clergy must now vote on whether or not to start an investigation. Remember, only clergy can vote on this.

Investigate Almeria: Yes/No/Abstain

I will give the clergy until tomorrow at 12pm PST to vote on this matter.))

((Well since our two active clergy have voted, and even if the inactive ones showed up they couldn't outvote them, I may as well proceed with the investigation. The results of the investigation are as follows:

Minor evidence of heresy was found while investigating Ferdinant II de Almeria.

Our clergy are free to IC any part of the investigation if it fits this result. They may also now decide whether the accused is innocent or guilty. If guilty, they may either call for mercy, imprisonment, or execution for the accused. I'll open it up for the clergy to decide Almeria's fate then. May God have mercy on his soul. :D))

((Not again!))

((2 clergy and they both hate me...))

Last edited:
((Private))
"God damn it! Had I known the Hansa was in this war..."

The general was Aragonese, but he still had German blood running through his veins. Now how many dilemmas has he gotten into in the past two decades or so!? Although he did manage to use this to his advantage against the Brits (who thought these troops were on their side), something still made him resent the king... for fighting his own countrymen.

((Goddammit, Hansa! Why did you ally Britain in the first place??))

myKh8vJ.png

Your Majesty,

Together with Steward Sastre's building projects, the plan for the Treasury bears fruit and leaves us with a strong economy that will no doubt profit from the acquisition of Provence. I gather that the troops didn't devastate the countryside or the cities too much? Either way, I see no need to change the Treasurer's plan.

Your most humble servitor,
François de Montségur, Duc de Trinacrie and Treasurer of the Crown

Ferdinant commited suicide. His son Ferdinant III will follow him up in court.

Name: Ferdinant III de Almeria
Date of Birth: 1st of April 1541'
Religion: Catholic
Class: Courtier
Bio: Son of Ferdinant II de Almeria.

((I'm done with this b*******))

Last edited:
7y5IQkH.png

General plans from the office of the Marqés de Viver, Lord Steward.

These new contraptions used to process textiles are fascinating. It is possible that providing employment for His Majesties tenants in the crown estates could both boost tax revenue and improve trade. Construction of an experimental Textile Manufactory in Teruel

The success of the foundry in Zaragoza can be built upon by opening further workshops to supply the needs of this foundry. Such a heavy focus may have detrimental effects on the province's commerce, but I believe the trade-off will be well worth it. Remove marketplace in Zaragoza, construct Workshop.

The spiritual well-being of His Majesty's subjects is also important, I would therefore like to embark upon a project of cathedral construction and renovation of existing structures. For the glory of God!

Temples in:
Capitanata
Salamanca
Calabria
Cadiz
Murica
Asturias

Stability should be maintained at 1.
If Aragon enters a state of war, War Exhaustion is to be lowered should it reach 6.

Leon marched even further north. His sword had been used for two things: killing angry natives and hacking through the dense jungle growth. He had hoped to find diamonds, but the "diamonds" were actually quartz. In his rage he ordered the native village that led him to the quartz burned down and all combat-age men executed (the elderly, women, and children he spared). Then he was captured by another tribe, where a local princess convinced the native king to spare his life. Despite his men demanding that he raze this village too, he spared them, vowing to not show mercy should this happen a second time. The Mayans thanked him for his infinite mercy, with some even converting to the true faith.
Another woman named Sacajawea appeared, and Miguel decided to let her join the expedition. He consulted the journals of the late conquistador Montségur and realized that he was basically doing exactly the same thing the other man had done years ago in the south.
He didn't think it was a coincidence until he ran into another "Amazon" tribe.
That tribe was completely annihilated.
In order to take his mind off this strange repetition of events, Miguel began drawing a map of the lands he charted. It took several weeks of hard work, but when he had completed it to the best of his ability he sent it back to Hispania. He did quite well, as eager men and women read the map and then decided that they wanted to see what Miguel charted in person, signing up to be colonists.
He had a faithful dog accompanying him the whole time. This dog had gone through all of the hardships that Miguel had, and all of them would be devastated if something happened to that dog. So when local Nahuas captured the dog, Miguel ordered the expedition to turn around and destroy the village the Nahuas came from. The dog was recovered intact.
None of that mattered, for after a series of freak storms and natural disasters basically everybody except Miguel, a slave named Estevanico, and two other soldiers died slow and painful deaths. Luckily they managed to return to a Mayan tribe which had sheltered them in the past, recuperating from their wounds there.
The four survivors were then hit by scurvy just weeks after leaving the tribe, and Miguel decided to trade for native medicine, which actually worked. They could learn something from these natives before the other Europeans destroyed them, he thought.
A month later...

"Gold!" shouted one of the soldiers.
"GOLD?!" shouted the other soldier.
"GOLD!!!!" shouted Estevanico and Miguel.
They all swarmed the mine where the soldiers had found gold, killing any natives which got in their way. After years of death and suffering, their prize was just in their reach. Nobody would stop them from getting rich.
Miguel arrived in the room where the two soldiers stood, staring at the pile of gold that was simply lying on the ground. Apparently this was a local Nahua stash, as evident from the elaborate idols and jewelry the gold was shaped into.
"Take everything!" shouted Miguel. "We're rich, boys!"
The other three men eagerly scooped up the gold.
"Wait," said a soldier, "Why is the gold just lying here? This is too easy."
"IT'S A TRAP!" shouted the other soldier.
Nothing happened.
They waited for another five minutes.
"Nope, not a trap, just stupid natives," said Estevanico.
All of them laughed and resumed stashing the gold into their bags.
"Hey, Estevanico, for your help, I'm granting you your freedom," said Miguel, "And as much gold as you can carry!"
All of them cheered and whooped, not noticing the large war party of natives gathering outside the mine.

((I would be fine with updating to 1.14/Cossacks.))

Reactions:
JpsioAG.png

Long ago the men of this court proclaimed that they would liberate the province of Gabu from Mali, linking the colonies of West Africa together. That proclamation has been ignored for too long. Thus as your king and as chancellor, I call for war with the heathens of Mali.

I have received word from the people of Santa Ava in Sanchonia that the aggressive nature of the native people in Tupiniquim worries them. Such godless primitives could threaten our colony at any moment. We must bring the word of God to these heathens by ordering Sanchonia to declare war upon them. As their overlord, we shall intervene by demanding peace from these primitives if necessary. This will only be done if war with Mali is either concluded or certain of victory.

Our army has been fairly disorganized in that none have been assigned to specific locations and often swap places when need be. I believe it time to rectify this, and as a result we can better adjust them to suit the needs of their location. Of our six armies of 10k men each, three shall be expanded to contain six infantry regiments, four cavalry regiments, and two artillery regiments (6/4/2). These three regiments shall be stationed in Valencia, Athens, and West Africa. The remaining three armies shall be expanded to contain six infantry regiments, two cavalry regiments, and four artillery regiments (6/2/4). The first shall be stationed in Iberia near the Portuguese border, the second in Provence, and the third in Naples. The armies shall be renamed according to their assigned location.

As for the navy, I believe it prudent to build five more heavy ships to better protect our growing colonial empire overseas where our galleys are ineffective.

- His Majesty, Alfons VII de Trastámara, King of Hispania & Galicia, and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

((Time to move on to the vote. First things first though. I have given some consideration about whether or not to use Cossacks and the timing gives me a good opportunity to test things out. We are expected to unlock administrative monarchy in the next update, upon which we will have a period of time for everyone to draft up some reforms for the new government, provided we vote to adopt an administrative monarchy. While you are all working up reforms for the government, I'll take the extra time to try out Cossacks and see if first it works with the save and second how I will adjust the class system for it. If all things go well, we'll update to the new expansion and have a new class system. If it doesn't, we'll just continue on with what we have already either on 1.13.2 or 1.14 if it works.

Another thing I want to bring up is assassination. A few people have approached me about whether this is allowed and I am hesitant to allow killing off player characters so indiscriminately. However, if most players are fine with it, I will allow it. I will include it as an OOC vote. For the vote on the Society of Jesus, you can either vote for the Society of Jesus to be created as an independent missionary order headed by the Kostopoulos family or for it to be merged with the Brotherhood of the Sacred Heart.

Society of Jesus: Independent under Kostopoulos/Merge with Brotherhood/None/Abstain
The Tolerance Law: Yes/No/Abstain

Assassinations: Yes/No/Abstain

You have until Sunday at 12pm PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class.

))

Reactions:
Alexandros Kostopoulos Votes the following way

Society of Jesus: Independent Under Kostopoulos Family
Assassinations - No
The Tolerance Law - No

Alexandros Kostopoulos Count of Athens
Representative of Byzantium

( Landed Noble )

Please Note if the holy order is created as a Independent Missionary order headed by the Kostopoulos family. I will be giving up my land in Athens and I will not be allowed to be appointed Pope or Cardinal and I will have a VP of 1 ( With no way of increasing the number )

Last edited:
Ferdinant III de Almeria publicly voted like this, to help the count of Athens get his vote through, and to honor his father.

Society of Jesus: Independent under Kostopoulos
The Tolerance Law: Yes

((Assassinations: Yes))

[Courtier, VP from monopoly in South Africa. 2VP in total]

Last edited:
I will abstain from both votes. I will leave the matters of faith to those who know more than me.

(Society of Jesus: Abstain
The Tolerance Law: Abstain)

Auguste de Saint-Pierre,
Head of TATC, Grandmaster of Aragon

((Assassinations: Yes))

[courtier, merchant, Grandmaster, admiral, NPC merchant]

Last edited: