• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alexandros Kostopoulos writes a letter to the court Objecting to the Chancellors plan

I
object to the chancellors plan on declaring war on Portugal. They are not the threat we should be worried about. Just recently Genoa has taken more land that creeps on our faithful ally the Byzantine Empire. They are aiming for Constantinople and they will not stop until they have it. Will this court allow them to take over the city of the east. The third most holyist place in Christendom outside of Rome and The holy land itself ?. We must deal with Genoa and then we will deal with Porutgal. But first we most deal with the threat that is on our doorsteps which is Genoa who is threatening to take over the city of our faithful ally.

Getting More colonies can not be more important than defending our ally and we know The Greedy Doge of Genoa will see the war with Portugal as a chance to strike our ally and take over the city of Constantinople while we are busy with the war with Portugal. So with this I object to the Chancellors plan on the grounds that declaring war on Portugal is not more important than defending our ally Byzantine. I also want to mention to this court that the provinces in West-Anatolia lands are worth more than colonies that we would get with the war with portugal Less stress in the long run because they will be of our relgion and thus we will not have to deal with Barbaric people that will prevent us from getting all the benefits from the land itself. Although in this case we will be making our ally stronger by giving them the land we take from Genoa.

I object to making the knights our vassals. Although they are a holy order and deserve our protection. We can do it in other ways by simply allying them or guaranteeing them. we do not need to make them our vassals at all.

So I urge this court to reconsider.. The real threat is Genoa who are aiming to take our allies city of Constantinople can not allow that to happen. We must also reclaim the lands in West Anatolia and give them to our ally like we did with epirus. you saw how happy they were when we did that.. Can you imagine how happy they will be if they got the west Anatolia land ?. as The representative from Byzantium I urge this court to help our ally with the threat of Genoa by declaring war on Genoa for the West Anatolia lands and giving them to our ally at the end of the war.

Your humble Servant
Alexandros Kostopoulos
Count of Athens
Repersentive of Byzantium

( Objects to the Chancellors plan, Wants to instead have Chancellor or the king declare war on Genoa for West Anatolia and give those lands to Byzantines afterwards )

Last edited:
Reactions:
It was during this time that Diego also began pursuing his personal interests in the marriage department. For that he reached out for the daughter of the Duke of Palermo (@alscon)

Your Grace,

I write to you today to secure the most fortuitous opportunity to unite our two families. I have heard great tales of your daughter's virtue and beauty and it is with good faith that I propose for you to accept her betrothal to me. I am also of noble blood and as the Count of Vizcaya I can assure she will live a life that she has been accustomed to. I eagerly await your response.

Diego de Bazan, Count of Vizcaya, Ambassador to Byzantium

((Duke of Trinacria :mad:, Count of Palermo.... :p))

Count de Bazan,

I will do my best to inform her of your intentions. Yet I must tell you that my daughter 'has a mind on her own and is not just a political asset' as she always says. In fact, she has already reached out by herself to the Saxon Elector Friedrich III von Wettin. Saxony is a strong realm within the empire, and Élise has heard that the Prince-Elector might soon crown himself king... or even Emperor... Friedrich's grandson would be a suitable match, and she would rather be a Queen or Duchess than a Countess, I fear. I will await the current development and inform you if her plan comes to fruition or not, as there is few I can do from my study in Valencia. I hear that my sons aren't spending their time as I would want to either. Well, the duties of the Treasurer. You know how it is to be young and full of energy.

My best wishes for your future,
François de Montségur, Duc de Trinacrie

((You might best start looking for another bride. Couldn't take her out of the Bachelors fast enough after having this idea :oops:))

I hereby resign as marshal of the kingdom.

-Cardinal Velazquez

((Private))

"The king has gone mad!" Velazquez said to his close friend, Father Renalto.

"Did he not support you some years ago?" the priest asked.

"Yes. I do not know what has changed since then. Perhaps it is the woman?" the cardinal asked.

"The queen has been an ardent supporter of the Inquisition, since you have been in Rome," Renalto replied.

"If that is true then I do not know what has gotten into His Majesty," the Iron Cardinal said, fuming. "Christendom has been far too lax towards heresy. Even His Holiness does not seem overly concerned."

"Then you must change that, my friend."

"I shall try. But obviously there is nothing here for me now. If the Church cannot receive the backing of the king then I am not safe here."

"Where shall you go?"

"I will return to Rome. Then I may explore the contaminated German lands."

Reactions:
c9CeDSX.png

((Private))

To Her Royal Majesty, Queen Caterina D'Medici

Your grace, I write to you with a less important matter compared to your daily duties. I wish to marry a relative of his highness, Henri De Foix and am wondering if you would put in a good word for me. Also, we should correspond more often. We are both Italians in this Iberian land no? And women with power none the less. We are also very distantly related by marriage. My Orsini husband had D'Medici ancestors. I would invite you to a party or feast but I assume you are busy. I eagerly await your response.

-Maria Modena D'Este y Orsini, Contessa de Calabria, Principessa de Catanzaro y Squillace

c9CeDSX.png

((Private))

To Her Royal Majesty, Queen Caterina D'Medici

Your grace, I write to you with a less important matter compared to your daily duties. I wish to marry a relative of his highness, Henri De Foix and am wondering if you would put in a good word for me. Also, we should correspond more often. We are both Italians in this Iberian land no? And women with power none the less. We are also very distantly related by marriage. My Orsini husband had D'Medici ancestors. I would invite you to a party or feast but I assume you are busy. I eagerly await your response.

-Maria Modena D'Este y Orsini, Contessa de Calabria, Principessa de Catanzaro y Squillace

Xs93UHA.png

I am not certain what influence I would have over a French count. You would be better off contacting the French king in this matter, not that I would encourage that. Such a union would undoubtedly see a vassal of the French king gain a title in Naples, a dangerous proposition. I'd recommend seeking a match within the realm or perhaps with a second or third son who would be willing to accept a matrilineal marriage. As you are undoubtedly aware, this patriarchal society of ours favours the men and forces us women to beg and grovel for any scrap of power. Perhaps I could help you find a more suitable match, or if you are dead-set on Henri de Foix, I could attempt to convince him to seek a matrilineal marriage, although that outcome is unlikely since his family would lose his title as a result. Such things would require a delicate touch.

I try not to think of myself as an Italian. A queen must put her king and kingdom first, not her place of birth. Still, it is a relief to see a fellow woman not crushed into submission to any man. Do not let yourself be broken. If you find any noblemen threatening your position at court, do not be afraid to seek my aid.

- Her Majesty, Queen Caterina de' Medici

((To put it more plainly, Henri de Foix is supposed to be a count in France right now, which would complicate things with your proposed marriage since their child would inherit both titles. Either we'd end up with a French count in Naples or I'd have to find a reason why a count would abdicate his title. I didn't really think there'd be titled women looking for men when I added him. Do you want me to find someone else instead?))

Tu3qI4B.png

Letter to His Grace, Thomas, III Duque de Navarra ((@Dadarian ))

As per our agreement of some years prior, I seek to honour the betrothal between Señorita Arias Etxeto and Manuel Sastre.

Yours in faith,
Armand Antonio Sastre,
Conde de Urgell.

Letter to Señor Miguel Villanova ((@DragonOfAtlantis ))

I pray that this new colonial venture of ours bears fruit; certainly I have reason to believe it will, as all your previous ventures have met with success. I understand that there are some native tribes in the region, what is their disposition? Are they hostile? If you believe it viable, I could arrange for some missions to travel out there to spread the word of the Lord amongst these savages.
If there is any matter in which I can be of assistance, or should there be any thing which I can procure for you, do not hesitate to let me know.

Respectfully,
Armand Antonio Sastre,
Conde de Urgell.

((private))
- Palazzo di Castelozzi, Palermo

'Saxony? Are you serious?' Louis Clément de Montségur was shocked.

'At least I am thinking of my future in marriage... unlike you', his sister Élise Olympe answered.

'I like being a bachelor. And father said...' He began, but was cut short.

'I know. The palace, no, the whole city also knows you love the bachelor's life. And father is in Valencia. Besides, he didn't want you to fight either, but you still want to participate in the upcoming war'

Louis didn't want to continue a lost cause. 'No matter. Why Saxony? They are at the head of the Protestant movement!'

'And you will be duke?' Élise scoffed. 'Saxony is also a duchy.' She paused for a while. 'Think politically for a second. Not only will I gain a nice title, I can also inform you of the Protestant leaders' intentions and plans. Informations very valuable for the foremost Catholic Crown of Aragon. In the right hands...'

Louis resigned. 'I see. If the Prince-Elector won't be burned at the stake together with his whole family, including or not including you.' He sighed. 'I just hope father won't have to regret leaving Palermo.'

((Private @Keinwyn))
Dear Count Sastre,

The colony is doing well so far. The natives to the south seem neutral while the northern neighbors are too distant to gauge. I believe the Tapuia, the southern neighbor, may be persuaded to follow Christ. I have been doing well and we need no aid for now.

Sincerely,
Miguel Villanova

(( List for colonies
O5060403 - Cape
Von Habsburg - Fernando Po
ThePatriotOfDreumal - Rio de Janeiro
Andre Massena - Guantanmo
chief bearpaw - Gabon
Totally Oink - Tandil
Robban204 - Havana
alscon - Nazca))

Last edited:
Xs93UHA.png

I am not certain what influence I would have over a French count. You would be better off contacting the French king in this matter, not that I would encourage that. Such a union would undoubtedly see a vassal of the French king gain a title in Naples, a dangerous proposition. I'd recommend seeking a match within the realm or perhaps with a second or third son who would be willing to accept a matrilineal marriage. As you are undoubtedly aware, this patriarchal society of ours favours the men and forces us women to beg and grovel for any scrap of power. Perhaps I could help you find a more suitable match, or if you are dead-set on Henri de Foix, I could attempt to convince him to seek a matrilineal marriage, although that outcome is unlikely since his family would lose his title as a result. Such things would require a delicate touch.

I try not to think of myself as an Italian. A queen must put her king and kingdom first, not her place of birth. Still, it is a relief to see a fellow woman not crushed into submission to any man. Do not let yourself be broken. If you find any noblemen threatening your position at court, do not be afraid to seek my aid.

((To put it more plainly, Henri de Foix is supposed to be a count in France right now, which would complicate things with your proposed marriage since their child would inherit both titles. Either we'd end up with a French count in Naples or I'd have to find a reason why a count would abdicate his title. I didn't really think there'd be titled women looking for men when I added him. Do you want me to find someone else instead?))

((Private))

Your Grace,

You make very valid points about a French marriage. We don't want anymore of those Franks on Neapolitan soil after what happened with the house of Aragon and that of Anjou, even if that was ages ago. The Italians always remember those dark times. Therefore, I am interested on what match you could find for me in whatever court you choose, Aragon or otherwise. Calabria might not be a important province currently but it has a illustrious history. It was a Greek colony in the age of the Hellenic pagan and continues to be the meeting place on the Two Sicilies; Naples and Trinacria. Make sure it doesn't fall into the hands of a rough, ill mannered, Saxon. As always I appreciate your advice and friendship.

-Maria Módena D'Este y Orsini, Princess of Catanzaro and Squillace, Countess of Calabria

Stewards Plan

As weapons become ever more advanced small scale production becomes increasingly inefficient; the crown might therefore see fit to consider constructing a foundry to supply the Royal Army.

Weapons Manufactory in Zaragossa.

His Majesty's subjects in Sicily have long been loyal, as such they will make fine recruits for the Royal Army. Therefore a Barracks should be built in Palermo

These new contraptions used to process textiles are fascinating. It is possible that providing employment for His Majesties tenants in the crown estates could both boost tax revenue and improve trade. Construction of an experimental Textile Manufactory in Teruel

Stability should be maintained at 1.
If Aragon enters a state of war, War Exhaustion is to be lowered should it reach 6.

((Vote time! I have two things I wanted to do an OOC vote for as well as the Chancellor's plan. The first has to do with Byzantium. Now that Maurianus is emperor, it means that Byzantium is ruled by a custom character. His heir is also a custom one I made, which brings me to my question for the vote. Should I let the game decide all of Byzantium's heirs for the following generations or should I do what I'm doing with Aragon and give them custom heirs based on who I add to the family tree? For the second issue, I want to figure out what to do about Lucrezianism. For those that aren't aware, it's a running joke where there's a religious cult founded around this one woman, Lucrezia, who preaches acceptance and tolerance. I sort of set it up to be our Protestantism, but I want to make sure that's what everyone wants. So basically I need to know if people would prefer that we ignore Lucrezianism all together and just use normal Protestantism, consider the in-game Protestantism to be Lucrezianism for Aragon, or if I should get someone to mod in a new religion for it? I'd prefer the second option because it'd be a lot easier to pull off. I'll lump the last two options together to see if people want Lucrezianism first and then big the one of those two with more votes if they win. Also, for the Chancellor's plan, voting against it does not count as voting for war with Genoa. The Chancellor would have to call for a separate war with Genoa or agree to accept war with Genoa if the vote fails.

Chancellor's Plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Byzantium Succession: Don't Change/Custom/Abstain
Lucrezianism: Ignore/Replace Protestant/Mod/Abstain

Everyone has until Thursday at 12pm PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class.))

((Private))

Your Grace,

You make very valid points about a French marriage. We don't want anymore of those Franks on Neapolitan soil after what happened with the house of Aragon and that of Anjou, even if that was ages ago. The Italians always remember those dark times. Therefore, I am interested on what match you could find for me in whatever court you choose, Aragon or otherwise. Calabria might not be a important province currently but it has a illustrious history. It was a Greek colony in the age of the Hellenic pagan and continues to be the meeting place on the Two Sicilies; Naples and Trinacria. Make sure it doesn't fall into the hands of a rough, ill mannered, Saxon. As always I appreciate your advice and friendship.

-Maria Módena D'Este y Orsini, Princess of Catanzaro and Squillace, Countess of Calabria

Xs93UHA.png

I admit that my influence amongst the lords of Aragon is limited, but I still have some influence back in Tuscany. While there are no official nobles in the Tuscan Republic, I am certain I can persuade one of the more influential families to agree to a matrilineal marriage. Knowing some of them, they'd pay a hefty dowry to marry into any noble family.

((Just make up some random Italian family that you'd imagine being powerful in Tuscany and you can marry into it. That's the best solution I can think of at the moment. :p))

((Chancellor's Plan: Abstain
Byzantium Succession: Custom
Lucrezianism: Mod
I might be a bit biased since I have made the mod. :p

Lucrezian: +0.5 Legitimacy, +3 tolerance of heretics. Uses Protestant mechanics.

[[Ferdinant II de Almeria, courtier]]

Last edited:
My Liege,

Chancellor's Plan: Yes
Byzantium Succession: Custom
Lucrezianism: Mod

Your Grace,
Jaume Limmona, Chancellor of the Realm and Duke of Naples and Capua

((Landed Noble, Cortz member, Council member))

While the plan runs the risk of antagonizing the pope, I do not see any need not to agree with the Chancellor. War looks inevitable, and it might be less costly in lives if we fight now rather than later.

-François de Montségur, Duc de Trinacrie and Treasurer of the Crown

((Byzantium Succession: Custom
Lucrezianism: Ignore

[landed noble, treasurer]))

((Byzantium Succession: Don't change
Lucrezianism: Replace Protestantism))

Rczoc1p.png

((private))
To the Queen,
Your majesty, I will be frank and say that the king has made a grave mistake by releasing Almeria, the heretic. The man has openly admitted his preference for heresy and was likely involved with the murder of our previous king. With a little bit more time I would have gotten the walnut to crack, but now I must watch in horror as a man dangerous to the kingdom can roam free. Mark my words, heretic activity within the court will start to pick up again. Aragon is in danger.

If you care about the soul in the kingdom then please convince the king to rearrest Almeria and listen to the wisdom of the mother Church.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Cassano Velazquez
Archbishop of Pirineo

((Byzantium Succession: Don't change
Lucrezianism: Replace Protestantism))

Rczoc1p.png

((private))
To the Queen,
Your majesty, I will be frank and say that the king has made a grave mistake by releasing Almeria, the heretic. The man has openly admitted his preference for heresy and was likely involved with the murder of our previous king. With a little bit more time I would have gotten the walnut to crack, but now I must watch in horror as a man dangerous to the kingdom can roam free. Mark my words, heretic activity within the court will start to pick up again. Aragon is in danger.

If you care about the soul in the kingdom then please convince the king to rearrest Almeria and listen to the wisdom of the mother Church.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Cassano Velazquez
Archbishop of Pirineo

Xs93UHA.png

I do not believe it wise to rearrest Almeria. While I agree that he should have never been released, sending him back to jail will only bring undue attention to the Crown. Even a king must abide by the laws and locking a man up without evidence will seem tyrannical. Only if clear evidence of heresy or criminal activity is found will the king even consider such an action. If such evidence were to be found, it should be brought to my attention immediately. I care deeply for this kingdom and understand the crucial role the Church plays in ensuring stability. Heresy cannot be tolerated. Do not worry. I shall be keeping my eye on Almeria.