• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sanctity of the Catholic Church Act: No

As Treasurer of the realm, I cannot accept this proposal, as pious as it may be. Heathens like the Jews are an important part of the economy, and it needs them to flourish as it does currently. With the inquisition looming over them more than it does now, these men, playing an essential role in our economy, will disappear and aid our enemies. It also carries the risk of giving overly greedy inquisitors in remoted places the authority to charge anyone of heresy, execute them and seize the wealth for their church. Not all men are as conscious about their roles as Cardinal Velazquez, and such abuse can only be regulated in an inquisition as we have now. Extending their rights would on the contrary cause even more people to adopt Luther's ideas. Heathens and heretics should be shown the errors of their ways, but not by confiscation, the rack and the fire, rather by words.

-François de Montségur, Duc de Trinacrie and Treasurer of the Crown

[landed noble, treasurer]

Alexandros Kostopoulos Cast his vote
S
sanctity of the Catholic Chruch Act: No

( Landed Noble, Representative of Byzantium )

Although I am a pious Catholic man and the Cardinal is tutoring my son. I can not accept this because it goes to far. I have heard that something like this was propose years ago and it also failed because it also went too far. This gives power to the inquistion what will be unchecked and this will cause more problems then it solves. What is to stop a rival of a man to claim someone is A heretic just because he wanted that man gone ?. Everyone will be accusing each other of being heretics causing mass panic and anger. this will send us back to the middle ages if not farther back with the constant fighting that will happen if this is passed. I have to say No the proposal.. because even though it has good intentions.. It will do more harm than good in the long run. I do not agree that we should give so much power to the Inquisition as the treasurer has mentioned.. What is stopping them from accusing anyone of heresy just so they can take the wealth of the man for themselves ?. They could be used to get rid of rivals as well... which as i said would create more problems than solve them.

Alexandros Kostopoulos count of Athens
Representativeof Byzantium

((Sanctity of the Catholic Church Act: Nein))

[courtier, general]

Letter to the 'iron' cardinal,

I want to ask you if there is a chance for a catholic church to be build here. I cannot go to the church to hear the bible and worship God.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria

Letter to the 'iron' cardinal,

I want to ask you if there is a chance for a catholic church to be build here. I cannot go to the church to hear the bible and worship God.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria

Velazquez spits in his prisoner's face and performs a Mass for him

Well, God did say: Treat others how you want to be treated yourself. Clearly Cardinal de Velazquez wants to be tortured, burned, discriminated against and getting spit in his face.
Unless, he does not want that, in which case he is ignoring the word of God.
((Your turn, Andre.))

Last edited:
((@ThePatriotOfDreumel Andre is Cardinal Cassano Valazquez, vascona died a long time ago))

Concerning the vote, i hereby abstain from voting over the matter of the proposed Sancity of the catholic church Act.

Francesco felt woozy after the vote, perhaps he should get a doctor...

He made his way hope, most grateful of his twin sons being of a reasonable age as to not cause havoc. He called his attendant over, requesting a drink. Aaaah, that was better, perhaps it was the heat getting to him.

Reactions:
Well, God did say: Treat others how you want to be treated yourself. Clearly Cardinal de Velazquez wants to be tortured, burned, discriminated against and getting spit in his face.
Unless, he does not want that, in which case he is ignoring the word of God.
((Your turn, Andre.))

The Lord has no tolerance for heresy or those who accept it

"But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly"

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already."

Is the rack too easy for you? Would you like a turn in the iron maiden?

Reactions:
(( to all, for reasons unknown atm, i am currently unable to access the IRC, sorry if any of you wish to talk to me there, if anything of significance occurs/ is announced i hope i can be kept in the song of things))

((The Iron Maiden had not been invented until 1793.))

Sanctity of the Catholic Church Act: Yes

The fact that certain people doubt the good intentions and the usefulness of such a institution of our Holy Church as the Inquisition demonstrate show little the defense of the faith now means to overly tolerant nobles of our Kingdom. Our ancestors have fought for Christ in the Crusades in the distant lands - and yet now their grandsons want to allow the swarms of heretics to function within our own Catholic realm. There cannot be any tolerance to the preachers that, moved by Devil, wish to lead people away from the righteous path, endangering their souls. I wish also to remind our good courtiers that each Monarch receives his throne by the blessing of God, whose vicar the Pope of Rome is, and gives an oath to defend the Cross and the true teachings within his lands. By harboring the enemies of these the Sovereign would lose the grace of heavens.

(Landed noble, general)

Xs93UHA.png

I am proud to announce the union of Princess Peronella de Trastámara to Theodoros Palaiologos, eldest son of Greek Co-Emperor Maurianus Palaiologos.

- His Majesty, Alfons VII de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

"Faster! Keep that blade up!"

Kostopoulos' young son was growing accustomed to sword fighting but he still had much to learn. They had spent many hours each day practicing.

"I am tired," the boy said. "Can I rest?"

"The Lord never rests," the Iron Cardinal replied sternly.

"When are you going to teach me about religion?" the boy asked.

"This is your religious education," Velazquez responded. "The books can wait."

The boy resumed his cuts and parries.

True, it was an unusual religious education. But these were unusual times. The Church needed warriors.

Suddenly, the cardinal's squire, Gutierrez, appeared.

"Your Eminence, a letter from the Vatican," Gutierrez said as he handed his superior a letter.

Velazquez tore it open and read the contents.

Things were much worse than he had thought. The Vatican was reeling and in need of assistance. Too many old men grown fat on indulgence money and idiot third sons of banker families in the Vatican, he surmised.

The Church needed its Iron Cardinal back in Rome.

"Boy, prepare your belongings. We are headed to Rome."

But before he headed there he had some business to attend to with a certain prisoner...

((This won't conflict with my marshal duties. My char will be in Rome for the course of the next update and then return to Aragon))