• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would like to submit my self as a character

Name: Santiago Aybar
Born: 16 January 1524
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic

Santiago was born originally born in Jerusalem, to the merchant Benjamín Aybar and his wife, Sara while they were visiting their ancestral homeland. The Aybar's lived in a very small, secluded community of merchants in Sevilla. One night, while Santiago was at home, Benjamín heard the news. A recent convoy of his trading ships, destined for Sicily, had been attacked by muslim Tunisian pirates. The pirates killed everyone on board, and displayed the head of the captain on the mast. Ever since then Santiago has had a fierce hatred for all of Islam, and hopes to remake the Aybar trade dynasty, possibly expanding to Cathay, India or Africa.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ferdinant had just heard of a merchant fleet being raided in the mediterranean. He was completely done with them. He would finish the pirates off once and for all. The owner of the fleet that got destroyed was a man named Santiago Aybar. He knew all big merchants in Sevilla, but he never heard of him. Sevilla was a big city, and most of the merchants had jobs in the ATC. He would write a letter to his man named Santiago and ask him to join the ATC. He could use some more men. The ATC was growing fast and Ferdinant got more and more difficulties doing all the work himself.

((Letter to Santiago Aybar @Totally Oink ))

To the merchant named Santiago Aybar,

I have heard of the pirate attack on your fleet. I think you will have difficulties rebuilding your fortunes. I'm offering you a job as an administrator of the ATC, with a generous salary and chances for more power in Aragon. Sevilla lately has lost a count, and we are still mourning his demise. He did great things for the city and now it is ruled by a temporary council. I do hope they will not stop some of Antonio's policies that made the city prosper.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria, head of the ATC, admiral of the Royal Aragonese fleet, Grand admiral of Aragon and merchant of the Aragonese crown.

Santiago looked up from the letter that was just delivered to him from the legendary merchant Ferdinant II de Almeria. He breathed in and out deeply, with a smile on his face.

To the great Ferdinant II de Almeria:

It would be an honor to be able to work with you and the ATC. I gladly accept your offer and hope for great success in our ventures.

Long Live Aragon!

Thank You,

Santiago Aybar

Reactions:
Chancellor plan:

Conquer/annex/vassalise as many statelets in the Mediterranean as possible for the army/navy to handle. What the army and navy can handle is to be left to the King's discretion.

I also recommend that we improve relations with France when we have a diplomat free when they are not doing more important work.

Make ready for war with Portgual over the next few years to liberate their colonies and unify Iberia under his Majesty and the Crown of Aragon.

Your Grace
Jaume Limmona, Chancellor of the Realm and Duke of Naples and Capua

Reactions:
Chancellor plan:

Conquer/annex/vassalise as many statelets in the Mediterranean as possible for the army/navy to handle. What the army and navy can handle is to be left to the King's discretion.

I also recommend that we improve relations with France when we have a diplomat free when they are not doing more important work.

Make ready for war with Portgual over the next few years to liberate their colonies and unify Iberia under his Majesty and the Crown of Aragon.

Your Grace

((So are you actively calling for war to start conquering these Mediterranean states? I can't issue a declaration of war unless a specific target is given. This also allows for people to actually know who the target is so they know whether to support the plan or not. As for vassalization, if this includes diplo-vassalization I need specific targets too.))

Santiago, was hunched over his maps, wanting to find a suitable place to set up a colony. He finally found what he thought would be the perfect place, right on the southern tip of Africa, on the cape. "This, this is the place," he thought to himself, eager for the prospect of expansion.

To the court of Aragon:

I would be willing and eager to fund the establishment of a colony on the southern tip of Africa, what is called by some the Cape.

Santiago Aybar

Santiago, was hunched over his maps, wanting to find a suitable place to set up a colony. He finally found what he thought would be the perfect place, right on the southern tip of Africa, on the cape. "This, this is the place," he thought to himself, eager for the prospect of expansion.

To the court of Aragon:

I would be willing and eager to fund the establishment of a colony on the southern tip of Africa, what is called by some the Cape.

Santiago Aybar

((05 has already asked to colonize the Cape province, but you can ask to colonize another province in the region.))

Xs93UHA.png

I have many issues to bring before the court this day. The trial of a few years ago raised an issue with a false accusation of treason. Before Cardinal Modena could be punished for falsely accusing a man, he passed away. It has been suggested that for the severity of that accusation, the cardinal should be removed from the Royal Order of Light. I shall require all of your opinions on this matter.

Our Representative to Byzantium has brought a matter of great importance to my attention. The Greeks still see Epirus as their rightful land and it is causing tension. The Emperor's prestige is damaged from being unable to reclaim lost imperial land. If we ignore this situation, it will only raise tensions between us. Two proposals have been given me. We can either return Epirus to the Greeks, much to their gratitude, or we can persuade the Emperor to renounce all claims to the province. I shall need guidance on this matter.

We also have an opening on the Cortz. Both Duke Tomas III Bartolo Ximon Etxeto and Count Francesco Andreas Maximilias de Soneta seek to serve on the Cortz as representatives of all nobility. I shall leave it to the nobles to decide the matter.

Lastly, we have several religious issues to contend with. Cardinal Velazquez wishes to institute the Conventicle Act, which would ban all religious assemblies of more than five people not authorized by the Church. On the other hand, Philippe de Saint-Pierre believes that we should at least recognize these new heretics. I believe we must stand with the Church in these matters, but I shall see what the court thinks as well.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

((Here are the votes. Keep in mind that the Cortz vote is for nobles only.

Chancellor's Plan (Amendment): Yes/No/Abstain
Revoke Cardinal Modena from Order: Yes/No/Abstain
Epirus: Return/Keep/Abstain
Recognize Protestantism/Lucrezian: Yes/No/Abstain
Conventicle Act: Yes/No/Abstain

Cortz: Etxeto (Dadarian)/Soneta (ML8991)/Abstain

Everyone will have until Tuesday at 12pm PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include you character's name and class. I'll include an image of the religious decisions from earlier. The Conventicle Act, the one we're voting on, is the last one, obviously,

))

Last edited:
Chancellor plan:

Your Grace

I object to this plan. I believe we should focus on fighting the Mamluks or returning the papacy's rightful lands. I also think the provision about "as many statelets" in the Mediterranean is too vague. Do you wish to destroy the sacred Knights of Rhodes?

-the Iron Cardinal

Amended Chancellor's Plan: Yes
Revoke Cardinal Modena from Order: Abstain
Epirus: Keep
Recognize Protestantism/Lucrezian: Yes
Conventicle Act: No

Philippe de Saint-Pierre
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Comapny, Grandmaster of Aragon

[courtier, merchant, admiral, Grandmaster]

Last edited:
Alexandros Kostopoulos has voted in the following way

Chancellor's Plan: No
Revoke Cardinal Modena from Order: Yes
Epirus: Return
Recognize Protestantism/Lucrezian: No
Conventicle Act: Yes
Cortz: Abstain

(Landed Noble )

((I've added the Chancellor's plan to the vote, so @05060403 and @LordDamien, feel free to change your votes.))

Chancellor's Plan: No- This foolish plan calls for the annexation of the Papal States and the Knights of Rhodes! I urge all good Catholics to reject this heresy. Have you no shame, chancellor?
Revoke Cardinal Modena from Order: No- Cardinal Modena was one of the greatest holy men in our history and his legacy should not be tarnished
Epirus: Return- This may be controversial but I believe that we should aid our allies and return their old lands to them so that they be strengthened against the oncoming Mamluk giant
Recognize Protestantism/Lucrezian: No with all my soul- Do not fall to such blasphemy! These heretics should be wiped off the face of the earth, not recognized! Preserve the Church and Aragon's soul!
Conventicle Act: Yes- We must crush heresy by carefully monitoring potentially blasphemous gatherings

[Clergy; Cardinal]
[Marshal]

-Cardinal Velazquez, the Iron Cardinal

Amended Chancellor Plan:

Offer our protection and forces to preserve the Knights and Galicia (diplo vassalise) for the Knights need to persist against the Ottoman Mohammedan Turks and they may be too humble to ask for aid when they are jeopardized. Galicia too have been cast adrift and will bring us closer to the unification of Iberia-Hispania . ((This replaces the vague first stipulation on and of statelets in the Med.))

Dismiss Bohemia as an ally, after all who is to say they won't return to Jan Hus and turn to heresy. They cannot be trusted to remain true to Aragon or the Faith.

((Rest of plan remains the same))

((Addressing the court of Aragon but mostly @Andre Massena )

Marshal, I ask why you believe the Papal State to classify as a statelet in the Mediterranean? Is it not the secular holdings of the Pontifex Maximus and therefore a state and not a statelet? You would demote even just the Holy and Eternal City to being nothing of consequence?

I would also say that Cardinal Modena tarnished his own reputation with a false accusation and all the misconduct and lack of justice that his hubris caused.

I shall think more on the growth of heresy and the matter of Epirus on the morrow.

Last edited:
There was no hint of self service or malice in the Cardinals accusations. If accusers are to be intimidated with punishment for their accusations then where does that leave His Majesty's justice?

Heresy is an abomination that must be scourged, not accepted. I find the lack of protection for the Holy See disturbing.

Chancellor's Plan: No
Revoke Cardinal Modena from Order: No
Epirus: Return
Recognize Protestantism/Lucrezian: No
Conventicle Act: Yes

Cortz: Etxeto

[Count,Minister,Diplomat]

AA Sastre

((edited for typo))

Last edited:
((The Chancellor has amended his plan, so if anyone wishes to change their vote on it, please recast your vote rather than edit the old one.))

Reactions: